Corpse Bride Fan Fiction ❯ Brother of the CORPSE BRIDE. ❯ The dress maker strikes again ( Chapter 10 )

[ P - Pre-Teen ]

CHAPTER TEN
 
 
Victoria and I had made the plans the next Night during her Piano lesson.
 
She told me, that her parents demanded that at this ball, she was to choose a man to dance with.
 
By doing this, she would meet a man and if her parents approved of it, they were to be married.
 
By far, it was just another one of their schemes to marry Victoria off against her will.
 
She also told me that every other man she had seen would be at the ball, and she wasn't interested in any of them.
 
She only asked me to be her escort, because by far to her, I was the most gracious of Gentlemen in all of England.
 
So, since we knew it would be a bad idea for me to meet her parents, we planned our night carefully.
 
* * *
 
I was to head to the ball late, and stay outside on the balcony so as not to draw attention.
 
Then while the dancing hours went by, Victoria was to come near me, and we would spend our planned time together.
 
* * *
 
I also told Victoria, that time would be tight on me, and I would have to leave by midnight, but I didn't tell her why.
 
She was even more curious as to what I was hiding than ever, but our plans were settled.
 
* * *
 
Since Victoria had to stay home and prepare for the ball next week, our Piano lessons at night had stopped.
 
Not that it mattered anyway, for Victoria had already mastered almost everything I had taught her a week ago.
 
The only reason we kept meeting with each other, was because we enjoyed each others company.
 
As I walked through the Town on Friday morning, I could seem to really pay attention on where I was going.
 
My mind was somewhere else.
 
“Victoria…” I thought, “She's not like anyone I've ever met before, and she's always being very sweet to me.”
“I haven't known anyone like her since I was alive…
So why can't I stop thinking about her? Why is she even on my mind now?”
 
Then suddenly, it hit me. “Oh no…Could it be? I think I'm fallen in love with Victoria.”
 
I was in love, for the very first time. It felt really warm and fuzzy inside my bones.
 
* * *
 
As I passed the clothing-shop, I heard a scream of anger coming from inside.
 
I popped in, and saw a strange looking lady growling at a dress maker about how awful her dress looked and felt.
 
She was a rather skinny woman with tall dark hair, and her husband beside her was fat a short.
 
“You call this a dress for a ball?!” she snapped at the young man who was the dress maker.
 
“Its more like a dress for the trashcan!” said her husband. “You have disgraced us, and you shall…”
 
“EXCUSE ME!!!” I had yelled. All three of them turned and saw me in my strange outfit and cape.
 
“I couldn't help but overhear you yelling from outside. Now what's all the commotion?”
 
“If it's any of your business, young man!” snorted the lady, this man was to have my gown for a ball ready in three days!”
 
“Three days have past, and it looks horrifying!!”
 
“Well I'm not surprised!” I said in mocking tone. “You don't have a pretty dress for two reasons.”
“And that would be?” asked the lady.
 
“Well for instance.” I said looking at the other man indicting his badge. “This man is only a Trainee.”
 
“He's not fully experienced in dress making yet, and here you are shouting orders at someone who doesn't fully understand.”
 
“Secondly, the dress looks horrible because you were too impatient to wait for it to be actually completed.”
 
“Just what do you know about dress making?” asked the woman's husband. “I know a lot more than you ever will.” I said.
 
“Now the dress looks horrible because…”
 
“-The measurements are too short. -The fabrics are all out of place - And the sewing and stitching are incorrect!”
 
“Now since I am more than familiar in how to make gowns, if I had designed it, it would turn out more than what had expected.”
“Humph!” snorted the lady, “You do not impress me with these tell-tales of yours!”
 
“They're not bluffs.” I snorted back, “Because of the way I make dresses so fine, My customers look like royalty, while you look like an Out-law!”
 
The lady and her husband look as thought someone had insulted their heritages.
 
“You're that good, then prove it!” she said handing me her sketches of the dress she wanted.
 
“You have two days to make this a dream gown, or I shall call the police.”
“With my artistic talents, you'll have it ready by tonight!” I said. “As if Art has anything to do with dress making.” said the woman's husband.
 
“It has everything to do with it.” I snapped, and then I asked the man beside me if he would play the phonograph for me.
 
As soon as the music began playing, I got right to work while singing as well.
 
Since the man was busy with the phonograph, his lady assistants helped me out.
 
* * *
 
[Mykan]
 
-You have to take the time to look
That art is splendid like a book
And art is not just some big joke
Art indeed is for every folk
 
-To sculpt or draw or create
You have to take it slow in rate
Although some people like it done quick
Others take the time to learn the trick.
 
* * *
 
The ladies and I had already started sewing up the fabric, and placing where it should be.
 
We all gathered to sing the main chorus
 
* * *
 
[All]:
-Art, art in the heavens!
 
[Lady#1]:
Art will be number one
 
[All]:
-Art, art in the heavens!
 
[Lady#2]:
Make sure you're having fun!
 
[All]:
-Art, art in the heavens!
 
[Mykan]
Art is for everyone
 
Like you!
(Like me)
And You!
(And me)
And especial even you!
 
* * *
 
Now that each section of the dress was cut out and sewn together, it was time to put them together on the model, and sew it all into one piece.
 
* * *
 
[Mykan]
 
-It's easy as if 1, 2, and 3.
Yes, art is fun believe you me
If you just take the time and you will know
Just what way art is sure to go?
 
-Remember art you cannot rush.
Not even with a good paint brush
If you just take it slow, it could be fun
And pretty soon you'll be done.
 
[All]:
-Art, art in the heavens!
 
[Lady#1]:
Art will be number one
 
[All]:
-Art, art in the heavens!
 
[Lady#2]:
Make sure you're having fun!
 
[All]:
-Art, art in the heavens!
 
[Mykan]
Art is for everyone
 
Like you!
(Like me)
And You!
(And me)
And especially even you!
 
* * *
 
As promised, Two hours had gone, and the dress was completed. The old woman was grateful, but it did not last.
 
“Alright, I'll let you go, this time.” She snorted. Then she and her husband exited the shop.
 
* * *
 
The man in charge of the shop was so delighted at how quickly I worked, that he immediately offered me a job, and a paycheck.
 
As you may have guessed, I did not take them. I am a dead man and will soon be going home, what could I possibly do with a job and money?
 
Still, the shopkeeper wasn't willing to give in, there had to be something he could do to pay me back.
 
I thought about it, and as a matter of fact…There was something!