Count Cain Fan Fiction ❯ An Unexpected Twist ❯ The Man with a Traitor's Name ( Chapter 1 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]
An Unexpected Twist



Chapter One: The Man With A Traitor’s Name
Mary-Weather was very lost. She had somehow gotten separated from her elder brother and his manservant and was now wandering around London, trying to find her way back.
Cain’s not going to let me go outside for at least a year for this! The fact that he’s going to be upset with me is an understatement!” Mary-Weather mused, sourly, as she tried to remain as small and unobtrusive as possible. Earl Cain Hargreaves, her elder brother, was known throughout aristocracy as the ‘Earl who Courts Death’. But what many people didn’t know, was that there was an assassin organization after him, and those around him.
I hope I don’t run into any of them....Especially that creepy doctor.” Mary-Weather thought, as irritation quickly turned into uneasiness. It was starting to get dark, and many of the people around her were in a hurry to get home.
“Well, well. What have we here?” a man’s voice purred, as Mary-Weather’s worst fear made himself known to her. And this was just as the streets cleared of people, leaving them alone as they faced one another.
“S-stay away from me.....” Mary-Weather stammered, fearfully, as she backed away from the man that had suddenly appeared out of nowhere; having materialized before her like a nightmare. He sneered when he saw the girl’s fear, and advanced on her another step. Almost instantly, something embedded itself into the cobblestones at Disraeli’s feet with the sound of metal hitting stone, and both looked down to see that it was a knife that had come between them.
“Stay back, unless you want one of those between your eyes, blondie.” a male voice growled, as the man that owned it emerged from the mists into the now-abandoned street. Mary-Weather had to force herself not to cry out when the young man’s features became clearer to her; he was about average height, with pale skin and wild dark hair. Yet the most distinctive parts about him were his eyes. They were a unique mix of green and gold that Mary-Weather had only ever seen in her elder brother’s eyes.
Cain?” Mary-Weather wondered, in amazement and some hope. Had her brother found her? Or was it just some weird coincidence that this fellow could have passed himself off as Cain’s twin?
“I must admit, Cain, that even for you, this reaction to the girl’s disappearance was quick.” Disraeli sneered; seeming to be surprised when the youth across from him smirked back.
“And I have to say, that I’d have never imagined the infamous ‘Jack the Ripper’ to be lower than a schoolyard bully.” the young man retorted, fingering another knife as he made his way to Mary-Weather’s side. With a wordless gesture, Mary-Weather got behind him; but not before hugging her benefactor’s waist as a quick thanks for her rescue. The stranger with her brother’s eyes gave her a brief smile, then got back to the matter at hand.
“So, what’s your choice? Back off and leave the girl alone? Or persist and end up with knives sticking out of you like so many porcupine quills?” the man asked; his manner seeming calm and even joking, but his eyes hinting that Disraeli was treading on thin ice, at best. Disraeli only gave them a disarming smile, before wordlessly melting into the fog again.
“Th-thank you, for saving my life, sir.” Mary-Weather said, gratefully, as the teen before her replaced his knives into a sheath at his belt, and then bent to retrieve the one he’d thrown.
“Think nothing of it, Miss. It was the least I could do.” the teen said, amiably; his manner quite a contrast to her elder brother’s usually brooding mood.
“Oh! I feel so rude! I haven’t even introduced myself yet! My name is Mary-Weather Hargreaves!” Mary-Weather said, after a momentary silence. The stranger gave her a warm smile, then faced her and bowed a ridiculously low bow.
“Pleasure to meet you, Miss Hargreaves! My name is Judas. Judas I. Hargers, at your service!” the teen said, then added, “But you can call me ‘Jude’ for short.”
“It’s a pleasure to meet you as well, Mr. Hargers! But what are you doing here, in London? Aren’t you an American?” Mary-Weather asked, as she and Judas started to walk away from the scene of the confrontation; trustingly (and a little bit shyly) putting her hand in his before they got started.
“Indeed, I am, but I jumped ship before the drafting could get to my part of town and came here. Y’see, I’d heard from my grandparents that there’s an English branch to my family here, and that they’re fairly high up on the old aristocratic ‘tree’, so to speak.” Judas replied, his high spirits not dampened in the slightest by the girl’s question.
“I wonder if you’re somehow related to us? You look exactly like my elder brother, Cain.” Mary-Weather murmured, then silently added, “Except when you smile. I have never really seen Cain smile wholeheartedly like this. And you seem so carefree!
“Hmm....That would explain why I was called ‘Cain’ back there.” Judas said, thoughtfully, then added, “I just hope your brother doesn’t take my head off or something if he finds us before I can get you to the police station. He might get the wrong idea.”
“Cain isn’t like that....In fact, he’s very level-headed.” Mary-Weather encouraged. Judas laughed softly at that; the action bringing an almost mischievous sparkle to his oddly colored eyes.
“Sounds like we could be exact opposites, then. I know of people back home who would say the opposite thing of me. I’ve got a quick temper, and I jump into things without nary a thought, sometimes.” Judas admitted, as they got even closer to Scotland Yard.
“But it was your quick actions that saved my life tonight!” Mary-Weather protested, as they entered the brightly lit waiting area inside Scotland Yard. The police constable looked up at them as they approached the front desk; and his features brightened when he saw Mary-Weather.
“It seems Earl Hargreaves will be able to rest easy tonight, since his sister has been found. Where was she?” the constable asked, sounding as relieved as he looked.
“Almost in the port, sir.” Judas replied; not adding the fact that she’d been accosted and almost kidnapped (or worse) that night.
“Good Lord! That is definitely not the place for a young girl! I’m glad you happened by and helped her find her way here, young man.” the constable said, with a weary smile.
“Same here.” Judas murmured, looking down and smiling slightly when Mary-Weather let loose a yawn.
“I’ll go ahead and see if we can get the message to the Earl that his sister has been found. He should still be in the area.” the constable said, as he turned to one of the police sergeants and nodded; sending the man running out the door into the fogbound night.
“Well, Miss Mary-Weather, what say you to finding a place to sit and wait?” Judas asked, kindly; knowing that the ten-year-old, despite her maturity, was getting sleepy. Mary-Weather nodded, and allowed him to lead her to one of the benches that sat along the far wall of the Yard. When they had taken a seat a little ways from the door (so the draft wouldn’t bother them too much) Mary-Weather drowsily put her head on Judas’ lap, and promptly went to sleep.
Poor kid. She was more worn out than she looked!” Judas thought, as he removed his coat and draped it over her in an effort to keep her warm.
“Look at that. You’d think she’s known you for years, the way she has her head on your lap.” the constable said, softly, so he wouldn’t wake the slumbering girl. Judas only smiled a vague, almost sad smile.
“I know.....and she kinda reminds me of someone I’d left behind.....Someone I couldn’t save.” Judas murmured, the latter part of his response going unheard by the other man, since it had almost been whispered to himself.
But I swear.....If I get the opportunity to protect someone again....I will not let them die. That’s a promise.” Judas silently vowed, watching as the little girl smiled in her sleep, and feeling a warmth emerge in his chest that he hadn’t thought he would ever feel again. And it was in that brief moment that he knew he wanted to protect the girl that was curled up beside him, most of all.




vvvvvvvvvvvvvvv(divider)



Cain was fit to be tied. Riff could tell just by looking at the young Earl’s eyes. They were more green than gold, now; hinting at how upset he truly was, even though he carried himself with an air of calm.
The ‘calm before the storm’ it seems. He’s going to tighten Miss Mary-Weather’s leash quite a bit after tonight.” Riff thought, his expression almost deadpanning when he thought of the ‘fireworks display’ that was about to explode in his face.
I daresay that even Guy Fawkes’ plot would have paled in comparison to what is about to happen.” Riff mused, looking to his right when a policeman rushed up to them; his honest face showing relief.
“Well? Has my sister been found?” Cain asked, shortly.
“Indeed she has, sir. She’s at the Yard now, safe and sound.” the policeman replied, breathlessly.
“I wish to see for myself if that is true.” Cain said, as he gave the man the go-ahead to lead them back to Scotland Yard.



vvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvv(divider)



Juda s shivered slightly when a cold breeze blew in from the door; glancing briefly at Mary-Weather to make sure she was still comfortable under his coat. It had been several hours since they had arrived at Scotland Yard, and he’d been about ready to doze off himself.
Too many nights without sleep, I suppose.” Judas mused, looking up when three men entered.
“All right, Constable. Where is my sister?” one man asked, a little impatiently (but not so much so to make him seem impatient).
“Over here, and sound asleep, I might add.” Judas said, speaking before the constable could even open his mouth. They all turned to look at him, then, and one’s jaw even dropped when he saw Judas’ gold-green eyes.
“Where had she been when you found her?” one asked, coolly; his own strangely-colored eyes heavily laced with suspicion and distrust.
“The docks. A rather unsettling fellow had almost accosted her there. I’m only glad I was in the right place at the right time.” Judas replied, noticing when his comment about Disraeli caused all the color to leave the young Englishman’s face.
“Indeed......What do you call yourself?” the man asked, shakily.
“Judas I. Hargers. ‘Jude’ for short. And you?” Judas asked, as he gently picked up the still-slumbering Mary-Weather, and handed her to the other man that stood close at hand.
“Earl Cain Hargreaves. And this is Riff, my manservant. What brought you to England?” the young man asked.
“Draft-dodging, mainly. I also had some family I wanted to get away from back in the ‘States.” Judas responded; noticing when an understanding glint appeared in Cain’s eyes.
“I know only too well what you mean....Do you have any place to stay, while you are here?” Cain asked, quietly.
“Not really.” Judas replied.
“Then I will have Riff prepare a room for you when we return to the manor. Is this agreeable to you?” Cain questioned; smiling inwardly when Judas gave him a disbelieving look.
“Uh.....Yes.....I suppose so.....Are you sure about this?” Judas asked, amazed that the young earl would do such a thing for him, a total stranger.
“Quite. You did, after all, rescue my sister.....and have made yourself a target of my father’s dark society, while doing so. The least I can do is offer you a safe place to stay.” Cain replied, quietly, secretly pleased when Judas gave him an abashed smile, removed his hat, and then bowed politely.
“Thanks for your hospitality Earl Hargreaves. I’ll see to it that this Judas can live up to somebody’s trust!” Judas said, as he straightened, and grinned at Cain again.
Amazing how someone can overcome the stigma a name can have! I wish I had his strength!” Cain mused, as he ushered for both Riff and Judas to follow him back to the car; his mind filled to the brim with questions for the young man who looked so eerily similar to him.



Author’s Note!
This is my first posting on MediaMiner! Hope this first chapter was all right!

Gemini14