Cowboy Bebop Fan Fiction / Fullmetal Alchemist Fan Fiction ❯ Gotta Knock a Little Harder ❯ Veteran of the Psychic Wars ( Chapter 16 )

[ Y - Young Adult: Not suitable for readers under 16 ]

Veteran of the Psychic Wars
 
You see me now, a veteran; Of a thousand psychic wars; I've been living on the edge so long; Where the winds of limbo roar; And I'm young enough to look at; And far too old to see; All the scars are on the inside; I'm not sure that there's anything left of me - Blue Oyster Cult (Essential B.O.C)
 
 
On the morning Jet and Al took off in the Hammerhead to search for Spike and Ed, a phone call was made to a military outpost in the east. It was efficiently patched through to the switchboard on a train that was on its way to Central City.
 
The young officer, a State Alchemist with a face that could bluff even the most experienced card shark out of his winnings, listened to the person on the other end of the line. He said very little, and his only reaction was the raising of a single eyebrow.
 
When he returned to his seat on the train, his only comment to the other officers who accompanied him was about making a brief, unplanned stop along the way.
 
The next morning, Colonel Roy Mustang, Lieutenants Riza Hawkeye, Havoc and Breda; and Sergeant Major Fuery arrived at the station in Risembul.
 
The few people of this sleepy village who were out and about that early in the morning stared at the number of uniforms, and by noon the entire town would know about the arrival. Speculation would run wild.
 
[1.1.1.1]
 
Jet stumbled half-awake into the lounge. He smelled fresh coffee, and let his nose lead him around the corner toward the galley. Before he entered, he stopped dead in his tracks, and backed up. He turned and looked down at the back of the chair. A tousselled mop of hair stuck up above the backrest of the seat, and a pair of long legs were propped on the table.
 
He came down the steps, and stopped next to the chair, staring down at the occupant accusingly. “You're awake.”
 
Spike took a sip from his own cup, then said, “You're noisy.”
 
Jet felt his face get very hot, and he stammered incoherently.
 
Spike cocked a brow, and scanned him from head to toe. His brow climbed higher as his eyes settled on each bruise and scrape. Jet felt more naked at that moment, than he did the night before. He suddenly wished he'd bothered to put on more than just the shorts and shirt. At least he could have covered up his friction-burned knees.
 
He scowled and crossed his arms over his chest in an attempt to look intimidating. “You have something to say?”
 
He should have known that it would prove futile with Spike, who just smirked and said, “Looks like she kicked your ass.”
 
Jet just growled and headed off to get his coffee. He wasn't ready for this first thing in the morning.
 
[2.2.2.2]
 
Edward Elric fell back into the cool grass, sweating and panting; and stared up at the clear blue sky. He heard his brother sit next to him, with a creak and a clank. At this moment he envied Al, who never fatigued.
 
It was a good work-out. Ed had taken some of the advice Spike offered, and used it. He still couldn't beat his brother, but he came quite a bit closer. Of course, using his small stature to his advantage was problematic. He was still annoyed at the hand genetics had given him, and he was fighting it every step of the way.
 
“Brother?” Al said.
 
“Hmmm?”
 
“Do you ever wonder what it's like out there? In space?”
 
Ed sat up, and stared off in the distance; at the ship that set serenely at the river dock. He pulled his knees up, and wrapped his arms around them. “Yeah. Sometimes. It's kinda hard to imagine.”
 
“It's funny,” Al said. “They're so different, but they're not.”
 
Ed looked over at his brother, and smiled. “Bet there isn't anyone like you out there, though.”
 
“They've never even heard of homunculi, or chimera.”
 
“And they don't use Alchemy,” Ed added. He looked back at the Bebop. “How did they get into space without it?”
 
He chuckled. “They're going to need Alchemy to get back home, though.”
 
“Do you think they'll find a way home without Brianne taking the stones?” Al asked.
 
Ed thought about that. He shook his head after a bit. “I don't know. I hope so.”
 
“What if that's the only way, Brother?”
 
He stared at Al. That hadn't occurred to him. What if? he thought. But if she does, it'll kill her. He remembered being more than willing to sacrifice his own life to save his brother's. But Brianne wasn't really anything to Jet and Spike, and they weren't anything to her. So why would she be willing to die in order to save them? Would I be willing to die to save someone over a mistake I made? If that was what it would take to fix it, I think I would. But would I let someone die to save me? He knew Jet wasn't willing to let her make that sacrifice. Ed had a feeling he would feel the same way.
 
“I don't know, Al,” Ed said. “Maybe they can make it alright here.” He grinned at his brother. “After all, this place isn't so bad, is it?”
 
His grin disappeared when Al didn't respond, but looked despondent. “Al?”
 
The suit of armor just looked down at his hands, and shook his head. “I don't know, Brother. I don't think I could go on in a place where I had no hope of ever seeing my friends and family again. With no hope of ever seeing home again. No matter how nice the place is. It could never be home.”
 
Ed hadn't thought about that aspect. He stared off at the Bebop again, looking at it from a different perspective. “I never thought about it that way before,” he said.
 
He took a deep breath, jumped to his feet, and dusted himself off. “Ready for more?”
 
If armor could grow a mischievous grin, it would have. “Are you?”
 
Ed gave his brother a cocky grin, and jerked a thumb at himself. “Hey, you can't defeat me that easy.”
 
Al got up, and into a defensive position. “Are you sure of that?”
 
[3.3.3.3]
 
Pinako stepped out on the porch, and lit her pipe. This was the kind of morning she enjoyed. The weather was bright, and warm, her guests and family were well, and happy. Pleasant and warm voices spilled through the open door, as the house started waking up.
 
The only thing that colored this otherwise pleasant morning was the concern for Spike. Physically, he was going to be fine. The injuries weren't nearly as severe as they first looked. It was his mind that Pinako worried about.
 
Then again, she thought. He might do fine. She recalled what Al and Ed had told her about some device Jet had used on Spike that allowed them to see what he saw. From the description of the events, it was pretty dramatic. Wouldn't mind getting a look at that machine myself, she thought.
 
The dog had been laying next to her soaking up the sun, but had suddenly perked up. Pinako glanced down at the dog, and then off in the direction he was staring.
 
Cresting the hill in the distance, five soldiers headed her way on foot.
 
“Looks like we're going to have a very full house, Den,” she said to the dog.
 
[4.4.4.4]
 
Jet sat on the edge of the couch. He turned the analysis monitor around to see where the progress was. As he expected, the information hadn't changed much overnight. Those new stones still looked nasty. He grumbled low and rubbed the back of his neck.
 
“Come up with any alternatives?” Spike asked.
 
“Nope. I'm open to suggestions.”
 
“How about letting her make the decision?”
 
“You mean let her kill herself? Sorry, Spike. Can't do that.”
 
Spike looked at Jet, and leaned forward in the chair. “Why not?”
 
“You make a shitty psychiatrist,” Jet said.
 
“You're letting your emotions get in the way.”
 
Jet slammed his cup down on the table hard enough to crack it around the bottom, and cause it to leak. “That's got nothing to do with it.”
 
The other man smirked and leaned back in the chair. His feet came back up on the table. “That's why we never get personally involved with bountyheads.”
 
Jet grit his teeth, and sat back on the couch. His legs and arms crossed. “She's no longer a bountyhead.”
 
“Technically, she's a bountyhead until Gate Corp drops it.”
 
Jet got to his feet, and cut the air with a hand. “Can it, Spike! She's not taking the stones, and that's final.” He grabbed the broken cup and headed for the galley. He never noticed Spike had come up behind him, until he heard him say, “You can't make her decisions for her, Jet.”
 
He spun, and came nearly nose to nose with his partner. “I can make this one.”
 
He started to turn back around, when Spike said, “Isn't that why Alisa left?”
 
He slammed a fist into Spike's jaw.
 
The younger man's head snapped sideways, but he barely staggered. He looked Jet in the eyes, and wiped a thin trail of blood from his mouth. Then he smirked. “Feel better?”
 
A cold grin spread across Jet's face, but never reached his eyes. “Much.” Then he continued on toward the galley.
 
Jet dumped the little bit of remaining coffee out, and tossed the cup in the trash. He pulled a fresh one from the cabinet, and started to pour more coffee. Halfway to tipping the pot, he set it back down and sighed. He stared off into nothingness a few moments, and then banged his fist on the counter. “Dammit.”
 
[5.5.5.5]
 
Ross, Brosh, and Armstrong stood at attention in the grass right outside the house. Mustang could almost enjoy their discomfiture. They had let Fullmetal slip away, and into a situation that was far too dangerous. Not only was Scar still on the loose, but now they had homunculi to deal with. Homunculi who had an unusual interest in the boy.
 
He let the silence stretch, as he considered the situation. What he knew, he ticked off in his own mind. Fullmetal had taken off with someone, the details were not given over the phone; for an undisclosed reason, to an undisclosed place, and on his way back, he ran into trouble. At the time of the call, the boy was missing, and his whereabouts were unknown. The situation was clearly more dire than Armstrong had mentioned over the phone, else he wouldn't have called. That he gave almost no details told Mustang that they had to be concerned with phone taps. This meant that it involved something that was not for open discussion where it could be easily overheard.
 
He was intensely curious about all this, but he wanted it from Fullmetal's own mouth. Attitude and all. He was certain that the three soldiers standing before him would try to gloss it over, and protect the boy. It was what he'd assigned them to do, after all. But their loyalty would interfere in this case.
 
After the formalities, Mustang said, “Do you have anything new to report, Major Armstrong?”
 
“Yes, Colonel. There was one casualty, but everyone has been recovered and returned home, Sir.”
 
“Casualty, Major?”
 
“Yes Sir, Mr. Spiegel was seriously injured by a chimera.”
 
“And his current condition?”
 
Pinako stepped forward on the porch, and said, “Physically, he's going to be fine, Colonel.”
 
Mustang nodded acknowledgement. He didn't miss the chill in her voice, even though she didn't show any overt hostility. He also didn't miss the slight emphasis on physically, either. He almost smiled. She still hasn't forgiven me for recruiting those boys, he thought.
 
He turned back to the three soldiers standing stiffly at attention in front of him. “Am I to assume then, that Fullmetal and his brother are uninjured?”
 
“Yes, Sir,” Armstrong said.
 
“Where are they now?” Mustang asked.
 
Armstrong nodded toward the fields in the distance. “Near the river, Sir. Working out, I believe.”
 
“And you believe them to be safe out of your sight?”
 
Armstrong winced, and Pinako piped up, “I trust Jet and Spike, Colonel Mustang. They'll not let any harm come to those boys.”
 
“Good.” Mustang faced his own entourage, and said, “Hawkeye, you'll come with me. Havoc, Breda, Fuery, you'll remain here.” He started off to find the brothers.
 
Ross stepped forward, and said, “Sir! Perhaps we should fill you in first--”
 
Mustang faced her. A small smile tugged at the corner of his lips. “You can finish your report when I return.”
 
“With all due respect Sir, there are some things we could not tell you over the phone. I think you should know them, first.”
 
“I'll get that from Fullmetal, Lieutenant. You can fill in any holes when I return.”
 
She took another step forward, but Armstrong laid a hand on her shoulder. Mustang nodded at the Major, and went on his way.
 
[6.6.6.6]
 
Maria Ross watched the retreating backs of Hawkeye and Mustang, and shook her head. She saw the same look of humorous disbelief on the faces of Brosh and Armstrong. “They're not going to believe it, even when they see it,” she said.
 
“Believe what, Lieutenant?” Havoc asked.
 
She waved a hand at the table and chairs on one end of the porch, and said, “You'd better sit down, guys.”
 
[7.7.7.7]
 
Jet stalked back into the lounge, and glared down at Spike. The younger man was on the edge of the seat, and staring intently at the monitor. He finally looked up.
 
“You're an asshole, Spike.”
 
Spike chuckled. “Yeah, but a well-meaning asshole.” He turned the monitor to Jet, and said, “Take a look at this.” He pointed at a few seemingly random lines of data. “Here, here, and here.”
 
“It's the analysis,” Jet said. “What's your point?”
 
Spike made a few keystrokes, and the data he pointed out separated themselves in a new window. A second window appeared alongside the first, showing the chemical make-up of the data.
 
Jet's brows shot up. “Interesting. Do you think it'll work?”
 
“With a little help from Alchemy.”
 
Jet looked at Spike, and scowled. “You're talking about fusing the spent fuel rods with some of those stones?”
 
“Yep.”
 
Jet considered the possibilities.
 
Something didn't feel quite right about it, though. He felt like he was using those boys for his own personal gains, and giving nothing in return. These people live by equivalent exchange. What do we have to offer them? How can we repay them for the risks they took to help us?
 
An unearthly screech reverberated throughout the ship, stopping Jet's thoughts cold, and sending a chill down his spine. He looked at Spike, and saw the shocked, frightened look on his partner's face that he was certain was on his own.
 
They both dashed toward where the sound originated.
 
The sound erupted again, as they reached to door to the shower room. Jet tried to get it open, but it was locked from the inside, and was an inch thick. He pressed his ear against the door, and said, “The water's running.” He banged on the door again, and yelled, “McKenna! Answer me!” A sick feeling was growing in the pit of his stomach.
 
Spike ran off, and Jet called after him, “Get the blowtorch from the supply in the bay!”
 
“Fuck that!” Spike shot over his shoulder. “I'm getting an Alchemist.”
 
[8.8.8.8]
 
Mustang crested the hill near the river, and saw the Elric brothers sparring near the dock. He also saw an enormous ship moored there.
 
“What do you make of that, Sir?” Hawkeye asked.
 
“Interesting,” he said. “A bit large for navigating this river, don't you think, Lieutenant?”
 
“I've never seen a boat like that before,” she said.
 
Mustang took the time to survey the area. Some questions were answered, but a lot more were raised.
 
“Look at that, Sir,” Hawkeye said. She pointed to the deck of the ship, and the large, red piece of somewhat mangled machinery. “Are those… wings?”
 
“Indeed.” He faced Hawkeye, and actually smiled. “This should prove to be very interesting indeed, wouldn't you say?”
 
“Perhaps we should have heard Lieutenant Ross' report, Colonel.”
 
Mustang headed down the hill toward the dock, and the Elric brothers. He waved a hand in dismissal, and said, “Nonsense! How strange could it possibly be?” He stopped and looked back at her. His look was expectant. “It's not like they're from another planet, after all.”
 
Riza Hawkeye sighed, and followed him. “Yes, Sir,” she said.
 
[9.9.9.9]
 
Breda and Fuery just stared. Havoc smirked, and clearly didn't believe Ross' story. “Yeah, right. Little Green Men from the moon.”
 
“No, Havoc.” Ross said. “They actually look just like us. And they're not from the moon. They're from a completely different universe, entirely.”
 
Havoc laughed. “You're just pulling our legs, right? How're you going to pull this one on Colonel Mustang?”
 
“Had I not seen the ship crash with my own eyes,” Armstrong said. “I would not believe it, either. But it's a fact that it fell out of the sky.”
 
Ross, Brosh and Armstrong remained stoic. Havoc finally stopped laughing, and stared in disbelief. “Bullshit.”
 
[0.0.0.0]
 
Ed found himself looking up at the sky again, and groaned in frustration. He closed his eyes a moment, and took a moment to enjoy the warm, bright sunshine on his face. A shadow darkened his perspective, and he grinned without opening his eyes. “One of these days, I'll beat you.”
 
“I highly doubt that,” said a voice Ed was hardly expecting. His eyes snapped open, and he jumped to his feet like a startled cat. “Gah! Colonel Mustang?”
 
Mustang nodded toward the Bebop, and said, “I assume you can explain this?”
 
Ed glanced at the ship, then back at Mustang. He stammered, and pulled at his collar. “Heh. Well… Kinda.”
 
Mustang crossed his arms, and waited.
 
[1.1.1.1]
 
Spike skidded to a stop on the back deck of the Bebop. He saw Ed and Al with two other soldiers he didn't recognize. He took a second to assess the situation, and decided that their attention was more for Ed than Al. He didn't have time for niceties; he needed to get the shower room door open, now. “Al!”
 
When he got the boys attention, along with the two officers, he said, “I need your help, now!”
 
Al didn't ask why, he didn't comment on the fact that Spike was up and about; he just ran up the dock. As Spike was headed back through the bay, he noticed that Ed was attempting to follow, but was stopped by the dark-haired officer.
 
[2.2.2.2]
 
Mustang stepped in front of Ed in an attempt to prevent him from following his brother. He had no idea what the situation was with that ship, but he wasn't about to let a State Alchemist under his care go running off into another, possibly dangerous situation if he could help it.
 
“I need your report, Fullmetal.”
 
Ed zipped around him, and said, “It'll have to wait, Colonel Mustang. Our friends need our help, first.” And he was off.
 
Mustang stared after him, more than a little surprised. And why should I be? Edward Elric has always been a bit of a loose cannon. Doing exactly what he wants. And as long as what he wants will benefit the military, we let him. The military is just a stepping stone to his goal. A slight smile curled his lips. Can't fault him for that. But damn I wish he'd show a little more discipline.
 
“Sir,” Hawkeye said. “Perhaps our answers are in there?”
 
“Shall we go get them, then?” Mustang said, and hopped up on the dock.
 
[3.3.3.3]
 
“McKenna!” Jet yelled and pounded on the door. Another unearthly shriek tore through the ship.
 
He heard the metal clank of a running suit of armor, and stepped back from the door as Al slid to a stop. The boy produced a piece of chalk from somewhere, and drew what Jet assumed was a transmutation circle on the door. Somewhere in the back of his mind, he realized it was the first time he'd actually seen one. It glowed as soon as Al touched it, and the door just dissolved away.
 
Jet shoved the boy out of the way, and charged into the shower room. “McKenna!” He yanked back the shower curtain, and froze in horror.
 
[4.4.4.4]
 
An inhuman shriek assaulted Mustangs ears as he followed Ed through the ship. Behind him, he heard Hawkeye pull her gun, and he saw Ed run faster.
 
“What the hell was that?”
 
“I don't know, Sir,” Hawkeye said. “But whatever it is, it sounds like it's in pain.”
 
They rounded a corner, and saw Al just outside a door, and Ed was right next to him. From Mustang's position, he had a front row seat to a nightmare.
 
A large, bald man with an automail arm yanked back a curtain, and then stepped back. Even from Mustang's vantage point, he could tell the man was as horrified as he was.
 
In the shower proper, was a cyclone of light and particles that would swirl and spread and then snap in upon itself for a brief instant. In that instant, Mustang could see the form of a woman. Eyes wide; her face a rictus of terror.
 
[5.5.5.5]
 
Jet watched in horror and anguish as McKenna phased out, and then back in again, over and over. Shrieking in pain. He was powerless to help, and his impotence infuriated him. That sick feeling in the pit of his stomach grew by leaps and bounds, and he knew then it was the fear that they were going to be stuck on this damnable backwater planet.
 
She phased back in, and reached for him, and he lunged for her, but was held back by a pair of strong hands. He glanced over his shoulder and saw Spike. “Let me go to her,” he said.
 
“Don't Jet. She'll drag you in with her.”
 
She shrieked again; that horrible, unearthly sound that shredded his nerves, and tore at his heart.
 
[6.6.6.6]
 
Ed stared, frozen at the sight before him. Memories of a human transmutation going horribly wrong flashed through his mind. This was too close to his own experience. He knew that wasn't what was happening, but he had no other way to reconcile what he was seeing in his own mind.
 
“Brother?” Al asked. His voice eloquently revealing his own fear. “What's happening?”
 
“She's lost control, Al,” he whispered. “Whatever stones she had left have finally lost their charge.”
 
An idea suddenly struck him. He ran off to the lounge. The fact that Mustang and Hawkeye were right there in the corridor with him didn't escape his notice, but he was betting on them being too engrossed with what was happening in the shower room to notice if he stepped away for a moment. He really didn't feel like answering any questions right now. Especially with what he was about to do. She needs something that will work to stabilize her fast, he thought.
 
He reached the table about the same time he heard another shriek. His hands shook as he clapped them together, and created an array with his own body.
 
He opened the table. Inside was a vial of red liquid, with a diffuse sprayer attached to it. He grabbed it, and ran. He hoped that it would be enough, and in time.
 
[7.7.7.7]
 
Spike let go of Jet. His partner wasn't fighting him anymore. But he felt him shaking.
 
He watched as McKenna phased back into solid form, and heard the sound of running footsteps.
 
“Spike!”
 
He saw Ed holding up the vial of Red Eye.
 
He held up a hand, and the boy tossed it to him neatly. He snagged it out of the air, and pressed it into Jet's hand.
 
Jet looked down at it, then back up at Spike. He nodded, understanding.
 
Spike watched as McKenna phased again, and felt Jet ready himself next to him. Timing was going to be everything in this. They were going to have to grab her, and spray her eyes with the drug as soon as she solidified. And pray she didn't phase again, and drag them in with her.
 
As soon as she started to solidify, Jet launched himself at her, and wrapped an arm around her waist. He quickly brushed the wet hair out of her eyes with the hand that held the vial. Spike held her head, and pried first one eye, then the other open. The faint hiss told him Jet sprayed the drug. Her startled gasp told him it hit the target.
 
[8.8.8.8]
 
Jet got the Red Eye into her, and tossed the vial aside. Her eyes rolled up, and he was hard pressed to keep supporting her with one arm. He wrapped the other one around her, but she pushed herself away, falling into Spike and knocking him off balance. He tried to catch her himself, but she was wet and slippery. He lost his grip on her, and she tumbled off him to the floor on her hands and knees.
 
She coughed and choked, then vomited violently. Then she collapsed.
 
Jet turned off the water, and knelt next to her. He lifted her face out of the water puddling in the bottom of the shower, and turned her toward him.
 
Her eyes focused on him briefly; anguish, and heartbreak filling them.
 
“I'm… sorry,” she whispered.
 
Next thing he knew, she hit him in the chest with the heel of her hand, and threw him back with inhuman strength. He crashed backwards into Spike, who was just getting back to his feet; sending them both crashing and skidding across the shower room floor.
 
In a flash of excited particles, she was gone.