Cowboy Bebop Fan Fiction / Gundam Wing Fan Fiction ❯ Dark Knight ❯ Part 2 ( Chapter 2 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Ed and Duo's Greatest Adventure: OVIH
Dark Knight
By Devon Masterson
AN: There is some OOC naturally b/c I fused people together
 
Batgirl: Heroine or Menace? The front page of the Gotham Gazette screamed out as Duo walked up the stone steps of a large building. He shook his head. He did not know what to make of the whole thing. He was annoyed that he never ran into this individual. Always having to read about her in papers was starting to make him doubt his detective skills. She seemed to be legit so far, but she was quickly becoming a number one priority to him over the past two months that she's been running around. Apparently she was actually serious about taking this up, because the sightings were becoming more and more frequent. As long as she stayed out of his way…
“Welcome to Gotham City Central Information Center,” the receptionist greeted. “Is there anything I can help you with directly?”
Duo smiled. She was quite cute, but he knew what would happen once he gave his name and she looked like the clingy type. He did not need someone trying to clock his whereabouts twenty-four-seven. He winked. “I'm looking for Edward Chang's office. I have an appointment with him.”
“With him?” she asked confused for a moment.
It would have been too rude to roll his eyes, but he was fighting that response harder than he would have cared to admit. “I'm sure I can find it,” he said before flashing a smile.
Lost in his smile the receptionist merely nodded. It was not until he gone that she realized that she had wanted to correct him on his mistake. She would have paged him if she knew his name, but he never gave it to her. He did have such wonderful eyes. The coloring was so odd and fit him so well and his long braid… “Oh my, that was Duo Maxwell. The Duo Wayne Maxwell. I must have looked like such an ass.” She sighed inwardly and outwardly as she put her head down.
“What's wrong, Catherine?” a voice asked.
Catherine sat up looked at her superior. “Ms. Chang, Mr. Maxwell was looking for you.”
Ed smiled as she realized what must have happened. “Is he as handsome in person?”
“More,” she answered smiling. The two ladies laughed for a moment. “Oh, Ms. Chang, he thinks you're a man.”
“Well I do get that all the time,” she said before smiling mischievously. “Of course this gives Ed the chance to be tricky.” Her amber eyes twinkled and she turned to leave.
“Have fun,” Catherine called as watched the graceful woman practically dance off in the direction of her office. It was often hard to believe the woman was twenty-seven years old. She seemed so full of life and in love with it. Everyone around her could not help but feel younger themselves. At such a young age she was already the oracle for Gotham City and had been for the past three years. She oversaw all of the archives for Gotham City. So much accomplished for someone so young, but the factoid about her that most people really found hard to believe was that she was only daughter of Commissioner Wufei Chang.
Though handsome, most of the ladies wonder how he ever got laid much less got married and had a child. According to the records, his wife died in childbirth after a rather violent mugging. It was shock to everyone that the child even survived. That incident made him unmerciless against public offenders especially those guilty of assault, but most did not really blame him. What kind of depraved person attacks, robs, and rapes a pregnant woman? That is just tasteless, even his fellow criminals did not take too kindly to that fact and killed him for it. Perhaps there is some honor among thieves or rather criminals.
Edward smiled as she saw a man with a long braid looking around curiously. The smile of mischief vanished as the more business side of her took over. She would just have to have fun later. The Library could really use the money that he was donating and pissing him off was not worth her having to grovel once Mayor Une-Hill got through with her. “Mr. Maxwell,” she greeted as she walked towards him holding out her hand. “I'm Edward…”
Duo turned around and smiled as he took in her features. She was quite a looker with her brown skin and crimson hair. “You're much too beautiful to be an assistant,” He replied turning up the charm. He took her hand and kissed it.
Ed frowned. If he would have let her finish, he would have known what she was trying to say. “I am not the assistant. I am Edward Chang.”
He smirked. “I never would have figured you to be a librarian.” He motioned toward her clothes. She had on black pants and white top. It was very business casual, but the way she wore it made her look too sexy to be what he pictured as a librarian.
“You're just as arrogant as I figured you,” she replied smiling brightly.
“That's because you don't know me very well,” he parried.
“What makes you think I want to,” she retorted lightly, her tone never changed. It always kept the politeness she normally had.
“You're information scientist, you have to be curious about the unknown,” Duo replied. Ed gave him a look that said `what kind of trap do you have in mind?' which made him smile even more. He found his date to the charity event. “I thought I'd take you to the circus tonight.”
“You're asking me out? I didn't think a woman with my IQ was your type,” she replied as she stepped around him.
Duo grabbed her arm and pulled her to him in one swift motion. “Now that proves you don't know me,” he said his breath tickling her ear. Ed could feel her cheeks growing warm. “I'm also curious about you and want to make sure my money is handled by a trustworthy person.”
Ed gasped in shock then smiled as her own curiosity piqued; she'd play his game but her rules. She wriggled free from his grasp, grabbed his arm, and turned it in an odd direction so that it was up against his back. “Fine, pick me up at 8:00.” She released him.
“Where did you learn that?” he asked rubbing his arm.
“Daddy!” Ed exclaimed in surprise as a Chinese man stalked over to them. She looked at her watch. She was late for her lunch meeting with him.
“You're late, Edward,” Wufei commented as he looked Duo up and down.
“I was finishing up my meeting,” Ed replied. “Duo…Mr. Maxwell, this is my father, Commissioner Wufei Chang. Daddy, this is Duo Maxwell.”
Duo held out his hand. “Nice to meet you officially, Commissioner.”
Wufei looked at Duo then narrowed his eyes at the playboy's outstretched hand. “Hmpf,” he said simply, then grabbed Ed's hand. “Come along, Edward.”
Ed looked back as he pulled him along. She shot him an apologetic smile, he was cute after all.
<><><>
“I forbid it,” Wufei exclaimed as he stood in the living room. “I'm not going to let you go out with that playboy.”
Ed smoothed out a small wrinkle she saw in her dress. This was the part she hated about living at home with her father, but he had been so insistent on her moving back home after what happened three years ago. At the time she was too scared of being alone to disagree. There was so much she took for granted back then. “I'm twenty-seven…”
“I know how old you are, Edward, I was present at your birth,” Wufei interrupted. Her age had nothing to do with him worrying about her. She was all he had left
“He won't try anything, Daddy,” Ed assured him. “Besides, I can take care of myself. You know how much I've improved in my studies.”
“You have been taking your martial arts training more seriously,” he admitted. “But…”
“Not only do I have your training, but you'll be there as well in case I need you,” she replied systematically tearing down any argument he could possibly bring up.
Wufei mulled the thought over for a moment. She did have a point; he and some of his men would be about. Her argument was sound, but he still didn't like it. “Is that what you plan to wear?” he asked making a motion toward her dress.
She was wearing a backless red evening gown with three long slender gold chains stretching across her back. She looked quite graceful and beautiful with the dress swishing about her like wine. With her hair in elegant upsweep and risqué spilt in front of the dress, she looked entirely too sexy to be out on a date with the Gotham's most notorious playboy. “What's wrong with it?” she asked revealing a long graceful leg as she looked down at herself.
“You look…you look…”
“Sexy as sin?” she supplied smiling at her flustered father.
“Edward,” Wufei warned.
“Daddy, this dress is fine,” she replied twirling around. “Besides I love it.”
“I'm sure you have something more conservative,” he remarked.
“I don't have time,” she replied as the doorbell rang. “My date's here.”
“I'll get it,” Wufei replied pushing past her.
Ed stepped back and quickly checked her appearance for any last minute issues she needed to clear up. This date was about more than just fulfilling an obligation. It was a chance at trying again. She was not going to be a victim the rest of her life nor would she allow any more to be created while she had anything to do with it.
“Commissioner Chang,” Duo greeted courteously. He smiled in attempt to win the older man over, but got no response. “It's weird how much a mask can change things,” he thought.
“Maxwell,” he acknowledged as he reluctantly let him inside the foyer. “Edward is…”
“I'm right here,” she replied as she walked into the foyer and stared Duo down. She smiled inwardly with guarded satisfaction as his eyes washed over her appreciatively. Her confidence in her choice was immediately boosted. He was quite impressed though he was not so tacky as to gawk or make some sort of rude subconscious gesture. Amazingly enough, he was a gentleman and very disciplined. She could tell from the way he walked and carried himself. He was not the airhead born with a silver spoon in his mouth that everyone thought he was. There was something odd about him that she could not quite put her finger on, but then she had her own secrets as well.
“You look lovely,” Duo complimented. He took her hand and kissed it. “A martial artist,” he noted feeling the light calluses on her hands. He already knew there was more to her than she let on, but it seemed that she went through great pains for it to be thought otherwise. “Shall we?”
Wufei opened his mouth to comment when Ed shot him a look. He narrowed his eyes. “Maxwell, take care of my daughter.”
“You have nothing to worry about,” Duo assured him then turned towards Ed and offered his arm.
She took his arm and let him escort her out to his car. “You're lucky that is a charity event,” she replied once they were out of earshot of her father.
He smirked as Alfred opened the car door and he let her in first. “No, I'm lucky that I have such a beautiful woman as my date.”
Ed flushed and changed the subject. “The Flying Winners are supposed to be performing tonight. I read it's their last performance because their youngest is leaving for college.”
“I guess it will be a show that we'll never forget then,” he replied as Alfred shut his door and drove off.
 
 
 
©2002 Devon Masterson
Hmmm…I own the wonderful concept/plot that I came up with for this little project. I own the acronym OVIH too. So remember that, when it becomes popular, that I started it!! All characters well it just too confusing but they were based on DC Comics, Gundam W, and Cowboy Bebop characters. Don't sue me, hire me!! ^_^