Cowboy Bebop Fan Fiction ❯ Beyond the Fallen Star ❯ Dive Right In ( Chapter 4 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

A/N: I am so very sorry that I haven't touched this or any of my other CB stories in, um, years. I truly enjoy the Bebop universe, and I missed my time away. However, I'm back now with some fresh ideas for this horribly neglected fic, so let's see where the story takes us.

Chapter 4: Dive Right In

Spike next awoke to the feeling of probing hands. He shot up, hands clenched. A startled young woman in medical white stared at him. A clipboard held precariously in her hand swung up, as if it had plans to defend its master. She swallowed nervously, giving him a feeble grin.

"Sorry about that." Slender fingers grasped for a lock of curly brown hair, twisting it around the nervous digits as they stared at each other. pike relaxed slowly when his senses told him she posed no threat. The girl was probably no older than twenty, and she looked too innocent to be wherever here was. He nodded at her finally, watching as the girl hooked an old-fashioned stethoscope into her ears and timidly approached him, waiting to see what he would do.

He hadn't noticed earlier, but a cart full of suspicious-looking medical things waited patiently at his bedside. "Mind if I do a few quick shots?" Spike glanced at her. Maybe she would be good for some information. "Only if you'll answer some questions."

Her lips tightened into a thin line before offering him a quick smile. It never touched her eyes, and Spike lay down suspiciously. "Where are we?" The girl glanced at the camera he had noticed in the corner, and then down at her cart. Her hands expertly took his pulse and scribbled something on the clipboard. Silence stretched out.

She finally reached across, appearing to check something on his left shoulder, and whispered frantically into his ear. "You're on Mars. It's not a good place, and we're doing what we can to help you get out as soon as possible. Just focus on healing." The tips of her curly hair trailed across his chest, and Spike fought the urge to twitch away.

There was an instant of pain, and he hissed slightly as she jabbed him with something before slapping on a small bandage. "My name is Samantha, by the way." She faked another smile, and glanced quickly at the camera.

"I guess you already know mine." Spike said, and saw real humor creep into her eyes. Samantha nodded, and he watched the hair bounce against the soft curve of her lab coat. The color was mesmerizing, a hint of something natural and alive in this world of white. He watched as she moved to the various machines around him, tapping out commands and frowning slightly to herself.

The movement was calming, restful - almost enough to make him forget that this was a hospital. Maybe it wasn't a hospital. Samantha continued to type across the room, and whatever had been in that last shot was beginning to make him sleepy. He meant to close his eyes only for a second, but knowing that somebody was on his side was calming. It wasn't supposed to be this way. Spike thought, and slipped into sleep.

A machine monitoring his brainwaves beeped quietly, and the young woman tapped the edge of the console thoughtfully before tearing her eyes away from the computer screen. He really was quite handsome, despite the paleness of his tan skin. The white sterility of the room caused the eye to flow naturally to the man's sleeping form. His deep breathing was hypnotic, and she watched until a gentle tone at her wrist signaled an incoming call.

Samantha took a calming breath before switching to an audio-only channel. "Hello?"

The voice on the other end sighed. "Did you lose track of time? You were supposed to meet me ten minutes ago." She glanced at the glowing numbers on her wrist and uttered a soft curse.

"I'll be there just as soon as I finish up here." There was a crackle of static on the other end, and the signal was lost. No matter. The various machines were probably interfering with the com unit, but she hurriedly began gathering up the various medical charts and supplies scattered about.

The com unit signaled again, and Samantha almost dropped the stack of papers. "What do you want, Jon?"

"Sammie." There was a hint of urgency in his voice. "Make sure Spike's okay. Is he sleeping?" She glanced over. A lock of green hair had fallen across his face. He would probably need a haircut and a decent shave when next he woke, but she fingered the hair almost tenderly. "Yeah, he's out."

"Then get going. Any more lingering and you're going to start looking even more suspicious. I'll meet you outside." She nodded absently, forgetting he couldn't see her. "I'll be there."

The call ended with a click, and she patted the sleeping man's face. "So long, Spike. I'll see you soon." Her supplies gathered, Samantha beat a hasty retreat not noticing as her patient turned his head to watch as security doors opened to release her into a silvery corridor.

Spike waited as long as he dared before slipping off the bed to weakly stumble his way over to the monitors, security camera be damned. He cursed and tumbled hard when the floor seemed to heave and quake beneath him. The crappy loincloth he had tucked in fluttered down around his ankles.

I hope whoever is watching enjoyed that. He thought, and once again secured the flimsy material around his waist before edging over to the bank of monitors. Of all the people he knew, he wished Ed were here right now to do her computer magic. Unfortunately the entire Bebop crew probably thought he was dead. Spike sighed once, lamenting. Then he cracked his knuckles and paused over the keyboard, praying the few computer lessons he had learned from the red-haired kid had not been wasted. Time to get some questions answered.

AROUND AND AROUND HE GOES, WHERE HE STOPS NO ONE KNOWS…