Cowboy Bebop Fan Fiction ❯ Beyond the Fallen Star ❯ Chapter 3

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Disclaimer: All characters except Jonathan are copyright of Sunrise Inc. and Bandai. No infringement intended, besides, I have no money to be sued for. Sorry for the long wait between updates O faithful readers. I promise to get the next one (which WILL be longer!) posted hopefully over Thanksgiving break. (TGI…Thanksgiving?) As always, please read and review. Thanks.

Chapter 3: Another Beginning

Spike's next awakening left him feeling refreshed. As he slowly rolled to a sitting position, he stretched his long limbs. Looks like everything's back to normal. Every finger flexed the way it was supposed to, and aside from some stiffness in his neck, he felt like his old self.

Around him, the white room continued in its medical state of near silence. "Well, where's the party?" Spike said aloud. The words seemed to echo in the vastness of the room. He was pretty sure that whoever had decided to drag him back from the grave had installed at least a few cameras for observation, so he made a cursory check, covered by a few more yawns and stretches.

There was almost certainly at least one camera up in the right corner. It looked like a normal electrical panel to him, but the steadily blinking red light was a dead giveaway. I may have been dead, but I've never been stupid. He tossed back the light sheet, and swung his legs over the side, swinging them gently back and forth.

With a little sigh, he hopped onto the cold tile floor and winced. His calf muscles shrieked in protest as he hung onto the bed and hobbled his way around its circumference. By the time he made it all the way around, he was breathing hard. The climb back into bed took all his remaining strength, and he collapsed in a heap, green hair splayed over his pillow.

Black dots swam in front of his eyes, and he blinked and focused on breathing until they went away. When he was able to lift his head again without feeling woozy, the path to the door looked as if it had suddenly become a distant speck on the horizon. He let his skull drop back onto the pillow with a thump.

Suddenly, this bed didn't feel so bad. It was almost pathetic how easily getting out of bed and walking to the door would have been for him before…and now, well, he was reduced to a limp bag of flesh.

He wanted to get to that door. It was his way out of this high-tech room and away from whoever was funding his medical bills. Nothing good ever came from waking up in a strange room-that much he had learned from standing in the stifling bathroom so long ago listening to Faye's past.

Faye and Jet…it was the first time he had thought about any of them since waking up. Where were they? How long had he been…well, gone? The idea of screwing up being dead was too much to handle. Tomorrow, I'm going to make it to that door. Spike thought, and raised an imaginary cigarette to his lips with his right hand.

He was asleep once again before his arm could return to his side. Outside the Syndicate-funded hospital, life continued on.

JUST TAKE IT STEP BY STEP