Cowboy Bebop Fan Fiction ❯ Fantaisie Sign ❯ Always The Rock Of The Excited Soul, In This Cybernetic Era ( Chapter 6 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

DISCLAIMER: Cowboy Bebop and its characters are owned by the anime companies that made them, and not by me. Also, the two song lyrics featured in this chapter are from www.animelyrics.com, a great site for, well, anime lyrics. Check it out for all of your anime lyric needs! ^_^

Author's Note: This fanfic is in the first-person style, with the POV being Edward's for all but a few chapters (and when the POV is different, I won't switch mid-chapter, the whole chapter will be like that). I've never even attempted doing something like this before, so bear with me.

French Note: For the few (non-generic) French language bits in this fic, I'll be using Babelfish. So pardon my French. ^_^

---

We parked outside the Fantaisie Sign, near the building in a parking space marked "Employees Only" in both English and French. I was going to say something, but then I remembered that Sylvan's mother owned the restaurant, so there wouldn't be a problem with parking in an Employees Only parking space. Before we went into the building, I had made sure to put on the light pink socks that I'd bought at the mall earlier, like daddy had told me to. The building was a moderately sized one-story structure with many windows, and I could see that there were many people inside, seated at tables. Large, glowing neon letters above the door clearly identified the building as the Fantaisie Sign.

"Well, this is the place!" Sylvan said as we both exited his hovercar. The Fantaisie Sign was nestled between two larger buildings, but easy to see since the parking lot and the building were separated from the two larger buildings by small gardens of flowers on either side.

"It looks pretty!" I said cheerfully, observing the beautiful shades of purple and blue that adorned the building. We walked up a small stairway to the entrance, and Sylvan kindly held the door for me as I walked inside. He quickly entered behind me. As we entered the bistro, I looked around, taking in the sights and sounds of the interior. Bright blue and purple lighting illuminated the room, the lights sometimes moving like spotlights to create a vibrant atmosphere. Many small, round tables were spread out around the large dining room, and several waiters and waitresses were walking around, serving the many patrons. The tables faced a large, short stage with a closed red curtain, which obviously meant that the stage was not in use at the time, but I really hoped that I would get to see a show! Large speakers near the stage were blaring out French pop music that added to the noise already being generated by the many people in the restaurant.

"Ah, Monsieur Sylvan!" said a neatly dressed maitre'd standing next to the door, behind a small podium. "And who is this with you tonight?"

"This is Edward Appledelhi," Sylvan said, introducing me to the maitre'd. I smiled and waved to him.

"It's a pleasure to meet you, truly it is!" I said. "This really is a lovely place!!

"Merci, merci!" said the maitre'd. He turned to Sylvan. "Sylvan, votre amie de dame regarde absolument beau, non?"

"She is, she is," Sylvan said, turning to me. "What he said was-"


"That Edward looks absolutely beautiful!" I said, smiling. "Merci beaucoup!"

"Ah, so you have knowledge of our beautiful French language?" the maitre'd asked me.

"That's right! Edward was taught French by Edward's mother!" I replied.

"She's got this thing where she talks in third-person," Sylvan said before the maitre'd could comment. "It's a bit unusual, but I don't mind it much. Edward's very unique!"

"Ah, I see!" the maitre'd said. "Well, any friend of Sylvan's is a friend of mine. Come, right this way! You want a table right next to the stage, non? Or did you come to visit your mother?"


"Well, I guess both," Sylvan said. "Ed, you'd like to meet my mom, right?"

I nodded.

"Of course Ed would!" I said. "Or.... whatever Sylvan wants to do!"

"Let's go back to my mother's office," Sylvan said. "I'm sure she's not too busy... I think she's about to go on stage, but she'd be happy to see us."

"Okay!"

"Zen right this way, I will have someone take you right to Madame Mazarin's office," the maitre'd said.

"That won't be necessary, I know where it is," Sylvan said. "But thank you!"

The maitre'd nodded, and Sylvan began walking toward the back of the restaurant, gesturing for me to follow him. I did, and we quickly made our way to a small, brown door near the stage marked "Employees Only". We stepped inside and passed through a small hallway to another brown door.

"This is it," Sylvan said, pointing toward the door. "I'll knock."

Sylvan gently knocked on the door, and within a few seconds, it opened. A beautiful, tall woman with long black hair, bright blue eyes, a slender frame and long, slender legs appeared. She was wearing a beautiful ruby red dress and tall, white high-heeled shoes. Good looks sure do run in this family...

"Sylvan, mon enfant!" the woman said happily, embracing Sylvan. She then turned to me. "And... who are you?"

"Her name's Edward," Sylvan said. "Well, actually, it's Francoise, but she likes to be called Edward. She's going to be going to my college next year!"

"Really? That's wonderful!" said Sylvan's mother. "So, Fran... Edward, did Sylvan bring you here?"

I nodded.


"I'm very happy to meet you, Mrs. Mazarin!" I said. "Sylvan's told me a lot about you! He said you're a wonderful singer."


"Oh, did he now?" she said, turning back to him. "You know I'm not really that good..."


"Don't be modest, mom!" Sylvan said. "Of course you are! So, when do you go on tonight?"

"In about fifteen minutes," said Sylvan's mom. "Did you both come to watch?"

"Of course we did!" I said happily. "Edward can't wait to hear you sing!"

"Well, that's wonderful!" Sylvan's mom said. "Have you two had supper yet? I'll tell the waiters to give the both of you anything you want, on the house!"


"No, no, no thank you!" I chimed politely, not wanting to take advantage of my new friendship, especially since it was only a day old and I had more than enough money to pay for anything I wanted to eat anyway. "Edward can pay, really!"


"I absolutely insist," she said kindly, smiling at both of us. "I mean, I've got to do what I can to make this night magical, right? It's only Sylvan's... fourth date, I believe."

"Fifth, mother," Sylvan said, slightly embarrassed. "Um... we're not dating, really! Ed and I are just friends!"

I blushed, even though I knew it was easy for anyone to confuse us for a couple out on a date.


"Just friends, yes!" I said. Mrs. Mazarin smiled.

"Well, I still insist that you both eat for free," Sylvan's mom said. "Only the best for my son's friends!"

"Spokey dokey!" I said, accepting the generous offer. Sylvan's mom groaned slightly and whispered something in Sylvan's ear that I could barely hear.

"Votre nouvel ami, elle est un peu... outre du mur, hmm ?" she said quietly, but not quietly enough so that I couldn't make out all the words. Off the wall? I should probably act a bit more mature in Mrs. Mazarin's presence...

"Ed's fine, mom," Sylvan said back to her. "She's just got a unique way of expressing herself. Nothing wrong with that at all!"


Sylvan smiled at me, then turned back to his mom.


"Well, she is a sweet girl... I think maybe the two of you should think about getting together," she said, again trying to be quiet but not quiet enough for my ears! Sylvan chuckled a bit at the comment, and I emitted a quiet giggle.

"We should probably go to our table now, mom," Sylvan said. "It was nice seeing you again, mom! After the performance Ed and I will come backstage again, okay?"

"That's right, we will!" I said. "Break a leg!"

We went back out to the front of the restaurant and sat down at a small table next to the stage. A minute or two after we took our seats, a waiter came to our table and presented us with two small glasses and a large bottle of fine French champagne.

"Compliments of your mother, Monsieur Sylvan," the waiter said, placing the champagne bottle on our table. "I will return in a few moments to take your order."

The waiter left, and Sylvan removed the cork from our champagne bottle, pouring champagne into his glass until it was about a third of the way full.

"I hardly ever drink champagne, and when I do, only a little bit," he said. "You know what it does if you drink too much."

I nodded. I'd tasted alcohol before, and it tasted terrible... of course, that was when I'd accidentally taken a sip from a shot of whiskey that Spike had left on the table back when I was adventuring on the Bebop. I knew that fine champagne would probably taste a lot better, but I didn't really want to drink any of it, since I didn't want to get... well, you know, drunk.

"Just a little bit," I said, carefully pouring a small amount of champagne into my glass. I lifted the glass to my lips and sipped the red liquid. "Mmm, tastes like grapes!"

Sylvan smirked and chuckled a bit.


"That's what it's made from," Sylvan said, also taking a sip of champagne. "Like I said, it's okay in small amounts, but you never want to drink enough to get drunk... that's why it's banned for us young people in most other countries."

"Because the French are responsible!" I said, taking another sip of my champagne. "We'll have the waiter take the bottle when he comes back."

And a few seconds later, the waiter did come back. Sylvan handed him the still mostly-full champagne bottle, and the waiter gently took it.

"Monsieur Sylvan and his lady friend are not champagne connoisseurs, I see," the waiter observed correctly. "Well, that's good. Best not to start at a young age. Have you both decided on what you want to eat for this evening?"

"I have," Sylvan said. "I'll take the prime rib and the glazed French duck, and a small salad."


"Excellent choice, sir," the waiter said. "And for the lady?"

"Hmm... Edward will have the crepe suzette and a Ganymede rock lobster, please! Oh, and a grape soda!" I said. The Ganymede rock lobster and I went a long way back... time to settle that score once and for all. I'd just have to remember not to refrigerate the thing. Spike gave me that little gem of advice.


"Also a good choice," the waiter said, taking our menus. "Your meals will be out shortly. Madame Mazarin performs in ten minutes, so enjoy the show."

Sylvan and I took the last sips from our champagne glasses, and then sat back to watch Sylvan's mother's performance.

"Where'd your mom learn to sing, Sylvan?" I asked him.

"She said that she started when she was just a little girl," he replied. "She told me she wanted to grow up to be a singer, but then she met my dad, and they bought this place. They turned it into the Fantaisie Sign, and my mom became the main attraction here. She's made quite a bit of money with this place, because a lot of people in Neo-Paris love to come out and watch her sing!"

"Ah, okay!" I said. "That sounds wonderful!"

I liked to sing, too. I had no desire to do it professionally, but I did enjoy singing a tune or two to myself whenever I got the chance. I secretly always thought that I was pretty good at it... maybe I'd sing for Sylvan sometime later on. I definitely wasn't as good as his mother, but I was sure that he'd like it. After a few more minutes of waiting, Sylvan's mother stepped out onto the stage, holding a small microphone in her hands, which were adorned with beautiful white gloves. The French pop music blaring through the speakers stopped.

"Good evening, and welcome to you all!" Sylvan's mom said charismatically, smiling and facing the crowd of restaurant patrons. "I hope that you'll enjoy tonight's performance as much as I'll enjoy performing for all of you!"

I clapped, and Sylvan clapped as well. The other people in the restaurant also clapped, forming a round of applause. A small band of four neatly-dressed musicians, on stage behind Sylvan's mother, began to play, and the beautiful woman began to sing. Un promenade Et l'univers c'est moi Apres Un cascade Son eau c'est toujours toi Un escapade La vie est dans les bois Et puis Un balade Son sujet c'est toujours toi Un promenade Et l'univers c'est moi Apres Un cascade Son eau c'est toujours toi C'est comme le vert des champs et Comme un oiseaux qui vole C'est toujours toi C'est toujours moi Toujours le rouchet de l'ame emu Comme un enfant qui vois La temps passer comme drole C'est toujours toi C'est toujours moi Sur les ailes et les chants du grand amour C'est comme le vert des champs et Comme un oiseaux qui vole C'est toujours toi C'est toujours moi Toujours le rouchet de l'ame emu Dans cette epoque cybernique Pleine de gents informatique C'est la sel fantaisie ici pour toujours C'est toujours moi C'est toujours toi C'est comme le vert des champs et Comme un oiseaux qui vole C'est toujours toi C'est toujours moi Toujours le rouchet de l'ame emu Comme l'air c'est doucement egu Le bleu du ciel biel apercu C'est la sel fantaisie ici pour toujours C'est toujours toi C'est toujours moi Pour toujours Encore des jours Et des jours Et des jours C'est toujours toi Et moi Et toi

As the song finally ceased, many of the people in the restaurant erupted into cheers. Sylvan cheered especially loudly, and I joined him, as we both stood up and gave Sylvan's mom a rousing ovation. Her voice was one of the most beautiful I'd ever heard, and she definitely deserved all the applause she received. As we clapped, I noticed a tall, trenchcoated man at the table next to us, clapping as well. Three rough-looking men were standing near him, also wearing trenchcoats. I turned to Sylvan.

"Sylvan, those guys at the table next to us... they look kinda suspicious, don't you think?" I whispered to Sylvan as the cheers began to die down. He glanced over at the men and smirked.

"Eh, a lot of weird characters come around here all the time, Ed," Sylvan said nonchalantly. "I usually just ignore them."


Reassured, I sat down at the table with Sylvan and enjoyed the rest of Sylvan's mother's performance, as well as the fine meal that we received. The Ganymede rock lobster was especially delicious, and I wondered why Spike never ate his when he got it... he didn't know what he was missing!

"So, it was the lobster that spoiled and nearly took over the ship?" Sylvan asked me after I'd told him the story of the 'swooookie space creature'.

"Yeah, that's what Spike-person said, anyway!" I told him. "The moral of the story is... always eat bad food! Um... before it turns bad."

Sylvan chuckled.


"Well, that was a good story, Ed!" he said amusedly. "I think I'll remember that lesson!"

The music on stage stopped, and Sylvan's mom began talking into her microphone.


"Well, it's been absolutely wonderful performing for all of you tonight!" she said. "As always, now begins the karaoke performance portion of the evening! Would anyone like to come up and take the mike?"

"Ed, how about you?" Sylvan asked me. "You've got a pretty voice, and I think you'd make a lovely singer!"


"Really, Sylvan?" I said, slightly taken aback. "Oh, no, I couldn't..."


"C'mon, Ed!" Sylvan said. "I promise you'll have fun! You won't be embarrassed, I promise!"

So, I would get my chance to sing for Sylvan... I was very nervous, completely not ready for something like this, but... oh, what the heck.


"Here goes nothing, then!" I said, raising my hand into the air. "Pick me! Pick Edward!"


Sylvan's mom smiled and gestured for me to come up on stage.


"Well, go on!" Sylvan said, smiling sweetly. "You'll do great!"


I walked on stage and took the mike from Sylvan's mom. Then, I began to sing a song that I'd learned from my mother, a long, long time ago. It was a mix of both French and Japanese, a language which my father knew quite well, and which my mother had made a song from, using both languages. I knew the French people here wouldn't understand half the song, but both languages were beautiful, so it didn't matter. I began to sing. boku no koinu ga inaku no ta shiroi ashi shiroi shippo zutto isshou datanoni boku no koinu ga inaku no ta shiroi mimi shiroi senaka itsumo isshou datanoni boku wa kawaita namida de mainichi kura shiteru hayaku kaete kite ame no hi mo kaze no hi mo mainichi sabo shite ageru dakara hayaku, hayaku kaete kite j'eu suis sa mosokona wichet de bous sobleu que se apusizi lepou zi ne j'eu mi si tu lamour, tu lamour chet moi hmm-hmm j'eu suis sa mosokona ruchet de bous sobleu que se apusizi lepou zi ne j'eu mi si tu lamour, tu lamour chet moi hmm-hmm adetu la mien ka fe tu notra abelru hii ri soa a lamour ma-mii... andetu la rien ka fe tu notra abelru hii ri sora a lamour j'eu me tu lire ti la me tushe kyuela j'eu suis sa mosokona wichet de bous sobleu que se apusizi lepou zi ne j'eu mi si tu lamour, tu lamour chet moi hmm-hmm j'eu suis la mo saa

I sang softly the whole time, but the microphone amplified my voice enough so that everyone in the restaurant could hear me, a fact that I took with a bit of dismay. Once I finished, I meekly handed the microphone back to Sylvan's mom. As I did, the audience began to cheer.


"Cheering... for Edward?" I said, blinking my eyes. They were actually cheering for me! I was so happy, I couldn't believe it!

"Of course they are, mon ami!" Sylvan's mom said. "Your voice is beautiful... you know, you might be as good as me!"


I knew she was just trying to flatter me, but I also knew that she was impressed, if even just a little bit. I returned to my table and sat down next to Sylvan. A big smile was on his face.


"I told you you could do it, Edward!" he said happily. "I believed in you, and you believed in yourself! Great job, Ed!"

I smiled back at him. Then, I wrapped my arms around his chest in a light embrace.


"Thank you so much, Sylvan!" I said. "You have shown Edward Neo-Paris and have made Edward's day... thank you for believing in me!"


I gently released him. He picked up my left hand and lifted it to his lips, kissing it gently.


"No, thank you, Edward... for giving me the pleasure of your acquaintance," he said sweetly. "Vou etes celui qui a fait mon jour."

I'd made his day too...

---

Back in Sylvan's mother's office...

"Edward absolutely loves this place!" I said excitedly. "Ed will visit every week... no, every day... twice a day!"

"Well, you're welcome here any time!" Sylvan's mom said, giggling. "You really are a good singer!"

"That you are, Ed!" Sylvan said, smiling. "Well, it's getting pretty late... we'd better head back to-"


Suddenly, the door opened. The three of us turned to see who was coming into the room, and were greeted by the five trenchcoated men that I'd noticed earlier. I immediately tensed up with fear, and the hairs on the back of my neck stood up. A chill went down my spine. The tall man whom I'd identified as the leader stepped forward and removed the wide-brimmed hat he was wearing, revealing a pale face with a large red scar across the left cheek. His hair was long, black, and straight, and his body was slender, with no real muscular mass that I could discern.

"What are you doing in here?" Sylvan's mother yelled fearfully. "How did you get here?"

"Oh, we merely had to strongarm a couple of your pathetic waiters," the man said. His voice was deep, and he had a light French accent, although a bit heavier than Sylvan's. "But we mean you no harm, mon cherie... we are merely here to offer our services."

"What kind of services?" said Sylvan's mom.


"Protection, madame," the man said. "There are a lot of... dangerous people out there. My name is Cecelle Frémont, and for a small fee, my associates and I can ensure that this fine establishment remains safe and secure."


"The Fantaisie Sign has never been the scene of any crime!" Sylvan said. "It's perfectly safe here!"


"We live in troubling times, my boy..." Frémont said darkly. "Times when bad things can... and do happen to good people. But bad things never happen to people who know the value of good protection."


"And what exactly is the value of your... protection?" Sylvan's mother asked skeptically.

"Mmm... for a place like this, I'd say it would run you about 250,000 wulongs a week, give or take a few ten thousand wulongs here or there."

"250,000 wulongs? Absolutely not..." Sylvan's mom said, her voice beginning to tremble. "Please leave, or I'll call the police!"

"The police... they can do nothing," Frémont said. "Not in this society, they can't. Trust me, you need protection. You don't want to know what happens to people who don't think they need protection."

Sylvan began to clutch my hand tightly. I was scared, and I could tell that he was too.


"Edward," Sylvan whispered. "I promise, nothing will happen to you..."

"Since this is a very surprising offer, I will give you until tomorrow night to think it over," Frémont said slyly. "But remember... everyone needs protection. Everyone."


The tall, pale man turned to his four trenchcoated henchmen and nodded. They quietly walked out of the room, leaving the three of us .

"Edward has seen that man's face before...." I said, remembering the Bigshot episode from several days ago. "He's the leader of Rose Du Diable..."

"The French syndicate," Sylvan's mom said morbidly. "They've already targeted several places around here recently, but... I didn't think they'd come to the Fantaisie Sign..."

"Mother, are you... scared of them?" Sylvan asked, even though he knew all three of us were afraid. "I've been taking firing lessons, you know that..."


"Yes, I know, Sylvan, but... yes, I am afraid," Sylvan's mom said. "You know I don't want you getting hurt... please, don't come back here until I've got this whole thing worked out. I can probably afford to pay them..."

"Mom, you can't... you can't give in, you can't show them you're afraid... I can-"

"No, you can't, Sylvan!" his mother yelled. "You know you can't! You know what happened to your father..."

He knew? I sure didn't know...


"Wait, the French syndicate killed your dad?" I asked Sylvan, speaking up for the first time in quite a while.

"Yes, that's what we think, anyway," Sylvan said. "That's why I got a gun about a year ago and started taking firing lessons... I'm getting pretty good, I think..."

"I know the French syndicate killed him...." Sylvan's mother said angrily. "Damnez ces bâtards... fichus ils directement à l'enfer!"

I could clearly make out the obscenities in her last sentence... she clearly had every right to be angry... poor Sylvan and his mother, losing the father to violence like that...


"Well, I should probably take Ed back to the college," Sylvan said, his tone changing. "Be careful, mom..."

I nodded at her, then thanked her for the free food and allowing me to come up on stage earlier. Despite the events of a few minutes ago, she smiling and hugged me before we left.

"Goodbye, Sylvan... and you too, Ed... I'll be safe," Sylvan's mom said. "Have a good evening, and remember what I said, Sylvan."


We left the Fantaisie Sign and climbed into Sylvan's hovercar.


"When we get back, I should probably call my dad..." I said, remembering the promise I'd made to him. "Sylvan, are you worried?"


"I am, a little..." Sylvan said. "I don't care what my mom said. We're coming back tomorrow night... at least I am... I can't let my mother get hurt!"

"Can Edward come with you?" I asked him, feeling a bit concerned for Sylvan's safety as well as his mother's.


"I don't want to endanger you, Ed... you know that," Sylvan said. "Just... have fun tomorrow, okay? Don't think about me..."

"How can Edward not think about you?" I asked Sylvan as we began to drive away from the restaurant. "You're Edward's friend..."

"And you're my friend too," Sylvan said. "That's why..."

"I understand, Sylvan," I said, still a bit worried. The French syndicate was vicious... I didn't want them to hurt Sylvan! But maybe he was right... maybe he'd be okay. I sure hope you're right...

---

And I do too! ^_^ I mean, if anyone hurt Edward, I'd cry! Well, hope you all enjoyed this (quite musical) chapter! Be sure to review, okay?