Cowboy Bebop Fan Fiction ❯ In The Middle of The Night ❯ So there's this thing called fear ( Chapter 4 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

* * *

Holding my breath I waited, expecting her eyes to open. I could see it all, she'd wake up and find me. The last thing I'd ever hear was her yelling and screaming at me. The last thing I'd ever lay my eyes upon was her angered face.

...It scared me...

My heart was still pounding as she shifted again. For the first time my calmness had melted away leaving me panicked. I hadn't noticed my trembling hands as I seemed to clench onto the sides of the chair under me.

She shifted again, "Spike..."

My eyes grew wider, my ribs felt like they broke from the pressure of my heart. My body tensed up so I couldn't move at all. The trembling had even stopped.

I watched in horror as she rolled over onto her side not facing me anymore.

'What!?'

It took me a minute to realize it. I gasped silently taking in badly needed air. My body fell limp and I was once again myself. I felt blood rush through my veins, I wouldn't have been surprised if it had stopped with the rest of me.

Relaxing slightly I figured it was best if I left now before I had a heart attack. I was getting paranoid.

Slowly and very, very carefully I put the chair back and slithered out of her room. I closed it so gently and quietly that when it closed all the way the small 'click' from the door hitting and locking with the frame made me jump.

I breathed a sigh of relief. 'I'm going nuts for no reason,' I told myself. I glanced at the door one last time before tip-toeing back to my room.

Once I was in my room I plopped down on the bed face first.

I was exhausted. Could worrying have done that to me? Maybe, I was uncertain about what made me so jumpy.

I was afraid of being... afraid? Did that make sense? I couldn't tell, this woman was turning everything upside down. Or was I doing that to myself?

I fell asleep thinking about everything.

(Dream)

I went back that night, I just couldn't stay away...

Quietly I took my spot on the chair in the corner. The room was darker than usual. She hadn't stirred at all. She was so still, the was no emotion on her face, she didn't even seem to be breathing.

She hadn't tossed or turned tonight. Not a single name or word escaped her lips.

She was so pale now. She looked deathly pale...

I shivered involuntarily.

Slowly I stood up, I wasn't sure what I was doing, my body just demanded I go. So I did. Walking over to her my breathing became ragged. I was nervous again. But why though? This made no sense!

I made it to my destination. With a shaky hand I reached down. I caressed her cheek. I drew my hand back, she was so cold. I couldn't form words it was all caught.

I touched her again, hoping she'd stir or wake.

But she didn't...

She said nothing and did nothing.

Tears welded up in my eyes. I still couldn't speak. I felt like a child, I could do nothing. I shook her shoulders. Her eyes didn't open. She didn't utter a single sound.

I panicked shaking her harder. I choked out, "Faye! Please!" I was crying now, "Please! Wake up!"

Her limp body didn't obey me though. I collapsed to my knees and hugged her lifeless frame to mine.

I whispered into her hair. I wasn't sure what I was saying, but I kept repeating it, over and over.

"It's all your fault," an all to familiar voice told me from the shadows.

I looked around frantically searching the dark room to see him.

"I told you I'd take everyone away from you," the voice laughed evilly.

The figure moved from the other side of the bed. His white hair shined in the tiny bit of light the room had. He smiled at me sadistically.

His grin sickened me. It always had...

I wiped my eyes.

But it was too late.

He lunged at me.

The flash of his sword

...then the darkness

(End)

Bolting up into a sitting position I sucked in deep sharp breaths. Realizing I was still alive I plowed my fingers through my hair. I sighed, "Damnit... Vicious."

I cursed more before I recalled the events in the dream. Were my feelings for her going to put her in danger?

I looked at the clock, she'd be waking up soon.

Maybe...

Swallowing I found my throat extremely dry. It felt sore, but not the kind of sore you get when you're sick or something. Just a dry kind of sore. I decided I should get some water, so that's exactly what I did.

Sluggishly I made my way to the kitchen. But I was stopped when I reached the door frame.

There she way, sitting tiredly. She looked upset. Her shoulder was slanted down still, she didn't move, just stared blankly at the wall.

I calmed down walking into the small room. "You're up early," I stated.

She snapped out of la-la-land and looked at me. Her shocked disappeared as she frowned at me slightly. "I could say the same for you," she said picking up her glass with her left hand instead of her right. She was being so stubborn!

'Like you!' My mind scowled me.

'I'm not that dumb though!' I retorted.

'Ha! You're worse! You could sever a limb and still say you're ok!'

'I'm just strong like that.' My mind's picture showed me blowing on my fingers and then rubbing them across my chest like I was shining them.

'You're just and idiot!'

I ended the internal conversation realizing I was having an argument with my own mind.

I sat down across from Faye, she looked almost worried for a moment.

"So why are you up so early?" I asked her.


She half shrugged, "Couldn't sleep, you?"

"Same," I said, I wasn't interested in any of this though. It was obvious she was in pain. But she wouldn't tell anyone. Later when Jet was awake I'd bring the subject to his attention and see what he could do about it.

"So Faye, what are you going to do with your share of the money?" I asked trying to get my mind off of her shoulder.

"Shopping of course," she answered not interested in the conversation either.

I could see we wouldn't get very far.

The room fell silent and we enjoyed it for awhile. Well I did anyways. It was peaceful in the morning like this, no fighting, no dogs or kids, and the woman with an attitude didn't have her attitude.

If I knew I could have this in the morning I'd wake up early everyday....