Cowboy Bebop Fan Fiction ❯ In The Middle of The Night ❯ My lips are sealed ( Chapter 5 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

* * *

How long is she going to keep avoiding me? Geez, she wont even look my way. If she speaks to me, which she really hasn't, she looks down at the floor or past me. And she's been trying to hide her shoulder by wearing a long sleeved shirt. Funny, I didn't know she owned one of those...

I watched silently as she made her way across the room. She looked flushed but was trying to cover it up. I could tell she was having trouble, she would lean on random objects, catch her breath a lot, and I even heard a grunt of pain--she tried to pass that off as well. Slowly she slipped into her room and slid the door gently shut.

Women, so stupid. So stubborn! Why wouldn't she get some real help? Oh yeah, almost forgot, she's a WOMAN.

I rubbed my temples with the thumb and index finger of my right hand. I was giving myself a headache. Thinking about her, how she was, what to do. Wait... What should I do? Could I risk confronting her? Nah, then it'd look like I cared. I'll just go talk to Jet and see what he thinks.

I stalked my way down the hall, hands in my pockets, hunched over with a cig at the corner of my lips. Seemed pretty normal, gotta act cool. Can't let on that I'm going on a mission. Or was this what I did when I went on missions? I cleared my throat expecting it to clear my thoughts for a moment. That was stupid of me... I sighed reaching the room where Jet sat hacking his bonsai.

I watched the man quietly as he studied the small plant. I wasn't really waiting for anything in particular, it was just funny to see him concentrate so hard. It looked as if he were disconnecting a bomb when he snipped off the small branch and sighed in relief when it didn't fray the miniature tree.

I cleared my throat and walked with heavy footfalls making sure he knew I was there. Nonchalantly I leaned against the wall not looking at him.

"What-do-you-want?" he asked not looking away from his task. He scrutinized the plant. I wouldn't have been surprised if he started interrogating it asking it things like, "So where is it?" "I'll clip you again if you don't tell me!"

"Have you noticed Faye lately?" I asked trying to sound as if it were just something to converse about.

"She's Faye," he said putting his clippers down for the time being.

"She's got a bad gash in her arm, she's not telling anyone about it."

"So? She's a big girl, she can take care of herself."

"It'll become infected soon."

"Then do something about it." he sounded almost annoyed with me at this.

I left. He was no help. This man that is so mighty and wise who's always giving advise when we don't want it, wont give it now!? Why not? Is he fed up with us not listening? Has he run out of wise tales and folk lores? I chuckle, I doubt he's run out of that old stuff. The man's a book.

Anyways... I'm on my own now. He wont get Faye to get some help, so looks like I have to. How do I help her? Or even get her to help herself?

Flopping on the couch carelessly I light up another cigarette. My right leg hangs of the side of the couch while the other lies, knee bent, on the yellow cousins on the old sofa. I stared at the ceiling fan, or tried to stare passed it at the ceiling itself. The blades of the fan swished through the air stirring the nicotine filled smoke and mixing it into the air like a cake mix.

Time passed by slowly as I contemplated what to do.

My eyes widened and my breath was let out in a short hiss as I felt a powerful weight hit my stomach.

"What is Spike-person do-o-innng?" The rosy cheeked girl's face came very close to mine.

"E-ed get off me!" I gasped out angrily.

Ed rolled backwards and off the couch. Elegantly she cartwheels to the coffee table infront of me. She stopped standing on her hands, "What's Spike-person doing?"

"My name's Spike.." I grumbled. "I'm thinking, go away," this crazy kid could be very um... how you say... Annoying.

"Ok! I go see Faye-faye!" she jumped up and with rubber legs glided out of the room, arms a stretch and howling "vroom" sounds.

I laid back rubbing my abused tummy. Kids, women, pets... What happened to the Bebop? It was quiet and trouble free with just Jet and I. Then the damned dog came along... Then Faye... Well she wasn't invited here. And Ed... Radical Edward took over our ship and invited herself, too. Heh, both Faye and Ed, woman, girl... Female. Inviting themselves into things...

I could hear Ed, she was coming in fast.

"VROOOOOOOM!" she flew passed me.

"Gah!" I jumped up on the couch. "Ed! Watch out!" she almost took my head off with her hands that were flying out everywhere.

"Faye-faye looks sick." Ed stated coming to an abrupt stop infront of me. She smiled her cat like grin, "So I helped her, Faye-faye looks like mummy," she began to walk stiffly with her arms reaching out infront of her.

I blinked, 'What is wrong with the woman? Was she insane?! Letting ED treat her wound!!' I snapped back to reality and found that Ed had skipped off.

I got up walking to the hallway, "Faye?" I knocked lightly on her door.

"What?" came a muffled reply from t he other side.

"Ed said you weren't feeling ok," I said, how am I going to make it sound like I don't care?

"What's it to ya'?" she asked.

I opened the door and stepped in. I hadn't looked at her yet but I heard a gasp and the flap of sheets. I looked up to see her with the sheet pulled up to her neck. I looked away, man it's a good thing that the room was dark. I could feel my cheeks burn a plush pink color.

"What are you doing?!" she screamed at me. She was angry that I had just walked into her room with out permission. It's a good thing she didn't know about my midnight strolls.

"What's going on Faye?" I asked avoiding her question.

"Nothing I'm trying to get some sleep so if you don't mind I'd like to get back to it so leave!" she yelled pointing to the door.

"You know what I mean, Faye." I said stepping closer.

I watched as she tightened her grip on the sheet. It wrinkled more with every squeeze.

"Didn't you hear me? Get out you big lunkhead!" she faltered, her breathing was heavy.

"I heard you Faye, but are you hearing me?" I asked smoothly standing before the bed infront of her.

"What are you talking about," she placed her free hand on her forehead.

"Ed told me about your shoulder," yes yes! Thank you Ed!

"So, what about it?" she asked trying not to care. She seemed to sway a bit.

"Why didn't you tell someone?"

"I told Ed," she chuckled.

"Someone responsible enough to take care of it."

"You sound like you care," she laughed.

"I.." damned woman... "I don't care, just wanted to see how badly taken care of it is." My cover is so blown.

"It's fine," she looked away. What a liar.

"Yeah, whatever, let's see it," I goaded.

"No, I told you it's fine!" she winced in pain, I could clearly see it.

"I've known the whole time, Faye," I calmly stated not caring if she found out my secret.

"What?" she was clearly confused and didn't understand.

"Faye, you don't think I noticed your shoulder when it happened?"

She looked at me, then looked away.

"I noticed how you were hiding it, I know it's a big gash.. cut, whatever you want to call it. I know you haven't been taking care of it correctly. And I know you haven't told anyone... But what I don't know," I paused storing air into my lungs, "Is how you got it."

She kept looking away. Averting her eyes hoping that maybe I'd disappear. I didn't plan on going anywhere. Not this time, I was staying and listening. I wasn't being frightened away so easily. Plus the fact that she was hurt and her condition was worsening making it nearly impossible to hurt me without hurting herself, was a little reassuring.

"I followed him out of the bar, in the crowd I lost where he had gone." she started shakily.

I looked up, she looked down.

It was silent for a moment, then she continued, "I half ran half walked to see if I could find him again. I turned the corner to a less busy street and walked casually. I probably looked nervous, like I was running from someone. I don't really care... Anyways, I was walking and I didn't realize it but he had been in an alley way, it was too late and he pulled me in." she stared at the sheets.

"What happened in the alley way?" I asked wanting her to continue.

"The bastard... He told me he knew I was following him... He fucking KNEW!" she slammed her fist into the bed. "ow-uh..." she winced and regretted doing so.

I watched with anticipation, I couldn't take it I had to sit down. So I did, I sat down next to her and for a moment she looked at me with.. fear? No, amazement! No... Well, I'll ask later.

She looked away, "He held a knife to my neck and kept my arms trapped at my sides. That disgusting pig," she spat out. "He tried to rape me, and when I escaped, that's when the knife drug into my shoulder, I moved into it because I couldn't stand to be near that asshole!"

I was stunned. I never thought that something like this could have happened. Faye was hurt trying to get away from some dickhead because he was... I didn't want to think of that.

What if she didn't get away?

Stop that! I shook my head, damned thoughts. Leave me alone.

"Anyways, when you showed up I had already chased him into the middle of the street. He tried to get away when I brought out my gun. He was a real coward..."

I don't think either of us noticed my arm around her shoulders, careful of her wound though. I was happy she was safe, safe in my arms. Right here with me.

"What are you doing?" she asked me looking up with wonderment sprinkled in her eyes.

"I uh.." I looked away, "Let me see your shoulder," I had to change the subject.

She blushed, Faye never seemed like the type. She tried to hide it, mask it with a confident smirk, I seen straight through her though.

"You just want to peek at me!" she said turning her nose into the air.,

"Faye, just let me see the damned thing," I didn't want to play, I was serious, I wanted to help her.

She frowned slightly, I didn't mean to make her feel low or something, it just kind of came out like that. I sighed, "Faye, I'm just trying to help..."

"You act as if you care," she scooted away from me. I could feel the difference in temperature, it was much warmer with her next to me.

"Faye, don't be like this," please, just let me help you with no questions asked.

What was I afraid of? I heard her the other nights... The way she spoke my name, the way she reached out with a smile... How she saddened when I wasn't there. But, how could I be so sure it was me she was talking about? Or if she was really even happy about it?

Was she afraid of me too?

"Don't be like what?" she shoot back, "And how did you know I had a huge cut in my shoulder?" she looked me in the eyes now. She wasn't afraid of me. She now had the upper hand and she was surely using it to her advantage.

I, could I tell her? Would she understand?

No you idiot! Of course not! She's Faye! Damn... I just dug my grave...

She was looking at me intently, it was making me nervous.

"I could just tell something was wrong, I made a lucky guess," I stammered. Man she's not falling for this.

She crossed her arms over her chest, her thin eyebrows narrowed at me.

"The truth, Spiegel," she was seriously pissed.

Gah! Fuck! No! I'm so dead now!

"I'm waiting Spike," she was growing impatient.

"Look I just know!" I stood up and yelled. I didn't have to take this. I'm better than that.

She stood up too, "I know how you know. You were in my room! When you checked my shoulder! I seen you leave! I'm not stupid Spike, I know you were here!" Were those tears brimming her eyes.

"I... I..." I was speechless. I hadn't been slick at all. She knew that I knew. That's why she avoided me. She wanted me to tell her, she wanted me to admit to it.

I ran my fingers through my hair and sighed defeatedly.

"So you know my secret" I chuckled trying to lighten the mood. Maybe she would think of it light heartidly. Wishful thinking again... That's gunna get me in trouble.

"Yes Spike, I know. So, what kind of sick, twist enjoyment were you getting?" she asked no as amused as I was.

I looked around, sat down again, and sighed. "I got enjoyment out of it, but I don't think it was sick or twisted. It helped, I mean helps me sleep."

She looked at me, she was confused but interested.

"I know it was wrong of me, I shouldn't have gone into your room without your permission." I shrugged. "There's not much I can say."

"Why didn't you got watch Jet or Ed sleep?" she asked smirking at my discomfort. Damn, she was reading me like a book right now.

I looked down, "Jet's not very good looking and Ed is a little kid?" I didn't know how else to say it.

"You're really weird Spike, you know that?"

"Yeah, so?" I looked up, "So what's this about me and that dream of yours?" I asked.

She looked at me wide-eyed. "I.. I... That's none of your business!" she yelled turning away from me.

"I think it is, it had to do with me didn't it?" I asked a smirk crept across my face.

"Maybe, but who gave you the right to come in here and hear about it?"

We were both getting cocky. I think we both knew how each other felt. We just didn't want to admit it. Not yet, it was too soon. She wanted to toy, I wanted to toy. We were like teenagers.

"Spike! Faye! Ed, Ein! Dinner's up!" came Jet's voice.

Both Faye and I looked up, Jet had saved us both from revealing something neither of us thought we were ready for. At least I wasn't ready, yet.

I tugged on Faye's shirt, "C'mon, let's see what we can do about that arm of yours, we'll talk about this later." I gave her a small smile hoping she'd except my offer and drop this all for now. Luckily she did.

Silently I know we were both thanking one another for so many different things. It was relieving almost. No, it was relieving. I knew how she felt even if she didn't tell me. I hope she knows I feel for her. It could be a while before I tell her, but I think she knows.
But for now, I think we'll work on being friends before we move to something more.

Time to adjust...



* * *

So? Wha'd you think? Long, ne? I tried, I hope you liked it. Please read and review! And maybe, I dunno, just maybe there will be a sequel. But that wont be for awhile if I do decide to do that. ^^ Thanks for staying with me for those 5 grooling chapters. Your guys and gals are the greatest! Thanks!

Set-chan