Cowboy Bebop Fan Fiction ❯ Only In Dreams ❯ In The Lost and Found ( Chapter 1 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]
Disclaimer: I don't own Cowboy Bebop, but if I did, I would make Spike marry me, because damn that man is sexy. ^_~

A/N: This is my first Cowboy Bebop fanfiction. I've tried to write a fanfic for this anime before, but I just have no patience for this sort of thing. I've read a lot of stories that continue the plot after the last episode, but this is my version. I only have this chapter, so for me to continue, I need reviews! What's the point of keeping a story going if no one likes it? I do have ideas of where I want to take this, so please don't think I'm just winging this whole thing. If you're wondering where I got my ideas, ironically, they came from a dream I had last night! Yup. I just couldn't get the damn thing out of my head, so I thought I'd actually turn my insanity into something productive. The name of the story, "Only in Dreams", is a Weezer song. The title of this session "In The And Found" is an Elliott Smith song. If you didn't know, all the sessions in Cowboy Bebop are named after song titles, so I thought it only wise to continue the tradition. If you don't know these songs, you should download them since they kick serious ass. Well, enough of my babbling, on with the story!

*

Only In Dreams
Session #1 - In The Lost And Found

*

<i> His eyes opened lazily to find the green fan above him moving slowly. His blurry vision cleared and he instantly knew where he was, but how he got here was a mystery. He glanced down to see his body covered, yet again, in bandages. He tired to move his head, but found he couldn't. Using all his strength, he finally got his head to move a little to the left.
</i> Damn, my head feels like it weighs a ton. <i> He saw her there, playing cards again, no doubt. She looked up from her game and got up. He watched her long legs stroll over to where he lay. She bent down and looked deep into his eyes. She leaned in closer and put her mouth right next to his ear, then whispered, "It's time to start being alive again."

*

Spike's eyes shot open. He sat up quickly in bed to find that his whole body ached. He then looked around to see where he was. The bed and beeping of the monitor told him he was in the hospital. Nurses walked past the open door, he wanted to yell to ask what the hell was going on, but decided against it. He just wanted a smoke.
To the right, Spike saw a small table next to him. There lied his beaten up pack of his cigarettes and a pack of matches. Slowly, he reached out to grab them, the ache in his body making him move slower. Finally he was able to grab the pack and he put a cigarette up to his lips and let it hang there as he lit it. He breathed in the smoke and let it out of his lungs through his nose.
A nurse walked through the door, not looking at anything, but her clipboard. She glanced up and smiled, "Mr. Spiegal, you're finally up." The smoke danced around him and she walked over to him to sharply take the cigarette out of his mouth and put it out in the ashtray, "No smoking in the hospital, please." Spike watched her make some notes on her clipboard. The ash taste in his mouth left him craving for another cigarette and he started to get out of the bed to only have to stand right in front of him. The nurse hugged the clipboard to her chest and looked straightly at him, "You're not going anywhere. You haven't walked in a while and I don't need you collapsing to the floor."
Spike scowled, "Listen," he looked at her nametag, "Farah. If you're not going to let me smoke in here, then at least let me go outside."
Farah smiled, "And risk you catching a cold? I don't think so. If you haven't noticed, it's snowing outside. So, if you would just please just get back in bed and under your covers, I'll go get your doctor." With that she left and Spike swung his legs back over and into the bed, only to have the aching pain in his chest rise again as he settled back into bed.
Looking up at white ceiling tiles, only to close his eyes as the pain dulled, Spike could almost hear singing in the background. The sounds of her sweet voice flooded his ears. He smiled to his self and let the tune lull him to sleep.

*

She laid back in the yellow couch. Faye's arms hung over the back of the seat and her legs were crossed her front of her. She rested her head on the back of the seat and starred at the ceiling. Faintly, the sound of Ed's keyboard strummed in the background. Faye couldn't remember when that girl had come back, but it was all the same to her. The BeBop was just as quite and no one tried to even break the silence. Not since he left.
Jet walked next to the couch and looked at Faye. For a moment he didn't want to say anything to her, like he usually did, but he managed to get one word out, "Dinner." He just stood there, then headed back to the kitchen.
Faye didn't even bother to move. Not like his food was a hit or anything. Besides, most of it would be eaten when Ed got to it. She suddenly felt a hand on her leg. Faye rolled her head to see, of all people, Ed. She rolled her head back, "What is it now, Ed?"
The young girl tilted her head slightly, "Ed want to know if you're going to come or not. Dinner was ready hour ago and Jet-person say food getting coooooold."
Suddenly Faye's whole body tensed. Had she really been just sitting there starring off into space for an hour? She slowly got off of the couch and headed toward her room. "Tell Jet I'm not in the food for his fabulous cooking tonight," She called behind her.
Ein looked up at Ed and she just shrugged, "Ed think Faye-Faye still sad over Spike-person."
Jet, who leaned against the hallway walls in the shadows, looked down closing his eyes, "Come on, Ed, you can have Faye's food."
Ed jumped and dashed through the hallway waving her arms. Ein ran in tow after the excited Ed, leaving Jet now starring the hallway leading to Faye's room.

*

Spike woke up to find a doctor leering over him, "Hello there. It's nice to finally meet you. I've been your doctor for about three months now. My name is Dr. Kazuma. And how are we doing after our little nap?"
The doctor pulled back Spike's eyelids and shined a light in them. Spike turned his head away, "Mind telling me what the hell is going on here?"
Dr. Kazuma made some notes on his clipboard and then looked back at Spike, "I'm not surprised you have no idea what's going on. You've been in a coma for three whole months. Hence why your body aches so much, you actually might need physical therapy for that. Tell me, do you know what your name is?"
Spike looked at him quizzically. "Spike. Spike Spiegal. Wait, I've been in a coma for <i>how</i> long??!"
The doctor took some more notes, "And can you tell me how you got in this condition?"
"Yeah, I....," Spike's face went blank. How <i>did</i> he get there? "I- I don't remember."
Again, more notes, "Mmm-humm... the syndicate brought you in, Mr. Spiegal. Yes, the syndicate does have a hospital branch. A lot of things have changed since you left. According to what they've told me you've killed Vicious. Someone who was sentenced to death by the Red Dragons and escaped. You've done them a favor and it's only right that they do the same for you."
Everything came back to him in that instant. Spike tensed, making his body ache again. Flashes of Julia and Vicious raced his mind. Their last moments and deaths filled his mind. He tried closing his eyes to make it all go away, but they still were there. The pain, the loss, the anguish... he couldn't escape it.
Looking strangly at him, Dr. Kazuma asked, "Mr. Spiegal, are you all right?"
Spike then threw his numb legs over the side of the bed and leaned on the bars to try and stand. He took one step and fell to the cold tile floor. The man in the white coat rushed to his side, "I told you you're going to need physical therapy before you can walk on your own again."
Without even bothing to listen, Spike tried again to get up on his own. His vision began to get blurry and he could hear faint voices in the background before everything around him went black from the pain.

*
Waking up from her nap, Faye reached behind her to grab a pack of cigarettes. She grabbed Spike's lighter from under her pillow and starred at it for a moment before lighting her cigarette. She slid the lighter back under her pillow and breathed in the smoke. Thoughts of the past were beginning to race her mind until she heard a knock on the door. Still laying there, she shouted, "What?"
In walked Jet. He paused for a moment, like he usually did before speaking to her and stated, "You have to eat you know."
She turned away from him, "I don't have to do anything."
Jet sighed, "Faye, don't do this to yourself."
Faye snapped at him, "Don't do what? Care that he's gone? You've hardly said a word to me since he left and now you want a conversation about what I should be doing and feeling? I don't think so, Jet."
He turned around and headed for the hallway. Before he closed the door behind him, he said, "I hid some food in the fridge from Ed. When you've decided to stop being a baby and eat, it'll be there for you."
Faye felt like crying, but she never did. She hasn't since that fateful day. That was the only time she could remember crying since she has woken up from her cryogenic sleep. Crying wasn't her thing, but when the memories came back and she finally realized the only place she had now what the Bebop, to have him leave was just too much for her. Inhailing the last of her cigarette, she put it out in the ashtray. She wouldn't give herself the satisfaction of crying again. That would be too easy. Instead she slinked out of bed and to her bedroom door.

*
Spike woke up to a pounding headache. <i>Damnit</i>, was the only thing he could think. Not only was Julia dead and he wasn't, but Spike now was stuck in a bed in some hospital somewhere. Spike ached all over his body, but most of all, he ached for a cigarette. He looked to the left to see that his pack of smokes and matches were gone. "Perfect," he said to no one, but himself.
The same nurse from before walked in his room again. This time she had a wheelchair instead of a clipboard. "I see you're up again," She beamed with a smile that only nurses had, "You had a nasty fall. I can see you're ready to get out of here though, so I assume you'll do the right thing and have some physical therapy before trying to walk again."
He scoffed and swung his legs over the bed again for the third time that day. Only this time Farah helped him into the wheelchair instead of trying to keep him in bed.

*

Ed watched Jet leave Faye's room and enter the living room. Ed put a finger on his chin, "Jet-person tell Faye-Faye 'bout Spike-person?"
He put his hands in his pockets and looked away from the young girl's eyes, "No. Every time I finally get the courage, I can't help but back down at the last second. I don't know how she'll react and that's what scares me." Jet sat down in the orange chair and leaned his head on the back of it. "What if she goes looking for him? We only just recently found out where he is and even I don't want to see him. Knowing Faye she'll drag him by that green head of his all the way back here and I just don't think I'm ready for that. Spike will come back if he wants to and that's the only time I'll be able to respect his return."
Ein whimpered at Jet's feet, "Don't give me that."
"Ed misses Spike-person too. Can't we just take a peak at Spike-person?"
Jet crossed his arms, "No. I told you the moment that you found out Spike was alive on that computer of yours that we were not to go see him. In his own time." He got up and headed down the hall way, whispering behind him to no one in particular, "In his own time..."

*
Holding the doorknob in her hand, Faye just stood there behind her door. She didn't hear much of their conversation, but from what she did hear, Spike was alive. She cracked open her door and saw that Jet had walked off somewhere. <i>Probably tending to his precious bamboo trees, no doubt,</i> Faye thought as she slowly opened up her door.
Ed was just standing there watching Jet walk away when she felt a hand grab her wrist and pull her backward. "Faye-Faye!" Ed yelled.
Faye quickly put her hand over Ed's mouth, "Quite. You want Jet to come back in here. He needs his alone time too, ya know." Then Faye began to drag Ed to where that little hacker's computer was. "Now, you're going to find Spike for me if it's the last thing you do or next time we have dinner, Ein is going to be it."
The red head gulped and put on her green goggles in preparation to find Spike once again, "Faye-Faye seeks the lost Spike-person. Where oh-where can he beeee?" Ed smiled as she found what she was looking for, "Ed find Spike-person in secret Red Dragon hospital on Mars. They keep him in roooooom... 182!" Ed turned to look at her crazed shipmate only to find her already gone.

*

A/N: Yay! That's all for now. Remember to review and such! ^_^