Cowboy Bebop Fan Fiction ❯ Only In Dreams ❯ The Dim Entrance ( Chapter 2 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]
Disclaimer: I don't own Cowboy Bebop, but I do own Farah and Dr. Kazuma, so I don't suggest stealing them anytime soon.

A/N: Well, I'm trying to get the ball rolling so I can get to the part that has my dream in it. Question, can someone help me figure out how to italicize things? Every time I upload a story I get this "<i>" instead of what I want italicized. Damn FF.net. The title of this session is from a song by The Good Life. They're a pretty good band, I suggest checking them out. Now, on with the fic!

*

Only In Dreams
Session #2 - A Dim Entrance

*

Spike laid back down from the work he had just done. His bones seemed to ache to no end, but he knew this was the only way if he wanted to get back on his feet anytime soon. Farah made more notes on that damn clipboard of hers. He groaned as he settled into the uncomfortable bed. Farah looked up and smiled, "How would you like some morphine for that pain?"
He laughed, "That would be nice." She turned a knob on the IV and he watched as the clear liquid dripped into the tubes. The nurse put the end of the IV into a vein on his hand. Spike winced a little. After all, he was only human.
The blonde nurse went back to taking more notes and Spike felt his vision get blurry. She glanced up at him and he smiled, "How about some sug-ah too?" Then he leaned over and slapped her ass.
Farah's eyes got wide and she giggled, "Looks like a little too much morphine." And she started turning the knob again. His vision began to dim, black faded in and out, until he feel sound asleep.


*

Faye slid back the round door to get to the hanger where her ship was. She ran through the door, almost tripping herself. <i>This is no time to get clumsy,</i> she reminded herself. She turned around and slid the door back into place. Faye froze when she looked back to see Jet was standing there with a cigarette in his hand.
Jet put his head down and closed his eyes, then dropped his cigarette and put it out with his shoe. "Going somewhere, Faye?"
Scowling, Faye stepped forward and raised a fist, "How could you not tell me he was alive? Did you just expect me to wait around until he came back or were you hoping he wouldn't and I would be left in the dark?"
Finally looking at her, Jet frowned, "I knew you were going to react just like this, that's why I didn't tell you. The last thing I wanted was you running off to some syndicate hospital and get yourself killed before even walking in the door. Did you even bother to think this thing through, Faye? Or were you just planning to storm in and hope everything works out in the end?"
She flinched and looked away from him. Jet looked up. "Hmpf, you and Spike deserve each other," He threw up his hands, "Everyone's got a death wish these days."
Smiling and putting her hands together with a gleam in her eyes, Faye squealed, "You're going to let me go?"
The bald man laughed, "Of course not, I don't need two crew members in the hospital. Not to mention, we're not even paying for Spike's. Do you think woolongs grow on trees these days?"
Faye crossed her arms and looked away, yet again. Jet walked past her with his hands in his pockets looking down. Before opening the door he said, "And don't even think about leaving, Faye. Not that you could, I unplugged your fuel line."
She turned around sharply and was going to yell an insult when the door slammed on her face, "Hmpf. Who needs you anyway."

*

Looking up, a blonde angel was leaning over him smiling. Spike smiled back and whispered, "Julia."
Farah blinked, "Who's Julia?"
His eyes began to focus and he realized that Julia began to look a lot like this nurse from some hospital. His angel began to speak, but her voice didn't sound like it usually did, "Mr. Spiegal?"
Why was she calling him that? Before he knew it, the image of Julia completely disappeared and there was that nurse, Farah. He moaned and closed his eyes again. She was right there, what happened? Then Spike remembered again that she was dead and he wouldn't be waking up her to smile anymore. That sweet, sweet smile.
"Looks like you're still in between worlds after that morphine," giggled the nurse as she hugged the clipboard to her chest. At least she wasn't writing anymore. Damn, that could get annoying. And like a fucking mind reader she began to take notes on that clipboard again, "Are you ready for another physical training session? I know how anxious you are you get out of this bed and become the new leader of the Red Dragons."
Spike eyes flew open and he shot up in the bed, "WHAT???!!"
Farah stood their surprised, "You didn't know?" She put a finger on her chin, "I guess I shouldn't have been the one to tell you."
The now angered green haired man put his face in his palm. "This is stupid," He mumbled to himself. Without hesitation he flung his legs over the bed and began to try and stand.
The blonde nurse grabbed his arm, "Exactly what do you think you're doing?? You know you can't walk. I saw you at the training session and you weren't very good, might I add."
She received a growl from Spike for that comment, "I don't care what you think. I am not going to be hounded into being the leader of some mafia group that I died trying to escape from."
With wobbly legs, he headed for the door. Farah stood up straight, "Wow, you're not doing half bad."
Just at that moment Spike stumbled. He caught himself by grabbing on to the doorway. Sweat beaded off of his forehead and he gathered up all of his strength for his next stunt. Before the nurse could call for help, Spike began running as fast as he could. It hurt like hell, but the pain was going to be more unbearable if he had to spend one more damn in this damn hospital.
People outside all turned their heads to see a man bursting out of the hospital. Still wearing his gown, no doubt. Most began to go back to what they were doing as Spike headed for the parking lot in the snow barefoot. His legs left numb and he knew if he stopped running now, he wasn't going to be able to get far. With the last of his energy, he found the Swordfish II parked in the back of the lot. It was pretty wreaked, but Spike drove it in worse condition before. He lifted the door and jumped in the seat. After slamming the door back down Spike breathed a sigh of relief. But he wasn't out of the woods yet, he heard shouting and looked through the glass to see a bunch of doctors pointing over in his direction.
"Damnit," Spike cursed and began searching madly for the key he usually hid in here. He reached under the seat and found the thing he was looking for. "Bingo!" And with that, he was off into the sky. He looked down to see people yelling and waving their fists up at him, but all Spike could do was smile as he lifted a cigarette to his mouth and headed off into space.

*

The purple haired beauty lounging on the couch breathed in another drag from her almost dead cigarette. The green eyed girl starred off into nothing and only wished she was thinking about nothing. But the only thing that she could do was let images of him flood her mind. His back as he walked away from her and the round that she fired off into the ceiling in a desperate plea for him to just stay, this once. He didn't and now he was out there in a hospital somewhere probably glad as hell he didn't have to be on a ship with a annoying dog, some crazed hacker kid, and a woman who just couldn't get rid of her attitude.
Why did it always have to feel like this? Like this was just some dream and when she awoke Spike would be leering over her telling her to get her drunk ass up so they could find some bounty and actually have food in this damn ship. Faye smiled at the thought, "What a fool am I."
The tiredness in her body made her groan when she reached over for the bottle of vodka on the table in front of her. Jet and Ed went to get some food with the money from the last bounty they caught. This, of course, was before she found out Spike was still alive. "Otherwise I would of forgotten about that damn thief and went after my..." she was about to say something more to herself, when she remembered that he wasn't her anything. Never was, never will be. "Even if that bastard is still alive."
Taking another swig, she could feel herself losing control from the liquor. Leaning her head back, she closed her eyes. That's when she felt someone sit next to her. Faye winced, "I'm really not in the mood for one of your lectures, Jet. If I feel like I'm going to pass out, I'll go to my room so Ed's virgin eyes won't see, all right?"
"All right, but you have to promise to stop talking to yourself," said a voice she wasn't expecting. Her eyes quickly snapped open and she sat up to look at the one man she did not want to see right now. Spike smiled at her surprise, "Miss me?"
Faye jumped out of the couch and quickly stumbled backwards, "Wh-when in the hell did you get here?" She saw stars from the sudden movement and felt herself about to black out. Slipping, she started to fall for the cold, hard floor when she felt strong arms grab her from behind.
"Drunk as a skunk again, Princess?" He could smell the vodka on her breath and also saw that the bottle was almost empty, knowing she had drunk the whole thing by herself.
Normally she would make a snappy comment, but she couldn't clear her head. Faye smiled and with her vision looked at the fuzzy haired man that was the only thing keeping her from getting a nasty bump on her head, "Candy is dandy, but liquor is quicker."
Spike chuckled to himself, "Let's get you to somewhere that doesn't require me using the only strength I have left."

*
Jet walked in with a grocery bag in each hand to find Spike just sitting there with his legs crossed and sitting on the table like he hadn't been gone a day. He was flipping through the channels on their tiny TV, "So, what happened to Big Shot?"
Ed flew by Jet as he just stood there. The teenage girl jumped on Spike, hugging him, "Spike-person back from Dragon Hospital!"
Spike sat there for a moment with his hand on the back of his head, "Looks like you've gotten bigger since I've left." Ed gave a big grin then dashed off to put the food she had dropped in the kitchen.
Still not moving an inch was Jet, he closed his eyes, "Well, don't just stand there. There's another bag in the hanger." With that, he walked off to join the red head in the kitchen.
Closing his eyes, Spike just looked down, and smiled, "Something's never change." He still sat there and when he opened his eyes he saw the bottle of vodka that was still there from when Faye had decided to have a party by herself. Grabbing it, he took a swig and let the clear liquid burn as it slid down his throat.
"That's still mine, ya know." He looked up from the bottle to see a semi-drunk Faye leaning her shoulder on the wall in the hallway.
"Up so soon? You've only been passed out for an hour," He looked her up and down. "And from what I can tell, you're still out of it."
Her short, purple hair was now messed up and she just scoffed, "I've been worse."
"Like earlier?"
Faye shot him a glare and then leaned her back against the wall, "Mind telling me what the hell you're doing back here? Remember, you're supposed to be dead." She almost spat the last word and that gave Spike a hard look on his face.
He quickly wiped the scowl off his face and went back to lounging on the couch, "No one ever said I couldn't come back. Besides, Faye, I thought you'd be happy to see me. After all, you were so intent on not having me leave."
The memory of her standing in the hallway yelling at him to stay flashed through her mind. Faye quickly erased the thought, "I-I just didn't want Jet to lose his comrade. Is that so wrong?"
Chuckling to himself, he finally looked away from her, "Whatever you say, Romaine."
Before Faye could snap back with an angry comment, the words "Thirty Million Woolongs" were heard over the TV that was playing the news. She dashed over to see who was worth such a hefty bounty. Then the news announcer began to speak again.
"You heard right folks. This man is worth one of the highest bounties ever. He was just revealed as the creator and top dealer of a new popular drug with the street name 'Sandman's dust'. The drug started out as a new medication for patients with extreme insomnia. Somehow, Mr. Eikichi got a hold of the prescription and tweaked it so when injected into your blood stream, you would be left in a dream like state. Where you can't tell the real world from the dream world and could be left there for days if the dosage was high enough. Not much is known about the drug, because of it's rarity. The substance is highly addictive and if offered this drug we suggest you turn it down immediately. The drug is currently rivaling 'Red Eye' as the main predecessor of drugs. In other news-" The TV was then switched off.
"Looks like we have a new bounty to catch," Spike announced.
Faye raised up a fist in anger, "Oh, so you're back for a little over an hour and you think you can just jump back in the sattle of catching bounties again? I don't think so, fro boy. I've been catching all the bounties lately and no way are you coming back to steal woolongs from me."
Standing up, he put his hands in his pockets and headed to the hanger to get the groceries that Jet told him to get, "Last time I checked, Faye, you were the one stealing woolongs from us."
She just scowled as he disappeared from view.

*

A/N: That's all for now. I'm sort of leading into something here, but I don't know where I want to go from there. Reviews would be nice. :D