Cowboy Bebop Fan Fiction ❯ Tenshi Trail: Shin Heart ❯ Vol. Two, Chapter Nineteen: Crow Fight ( Chapter 19 )

[ Y - Young Adult: Not suitable for readers under 16 ]

Crow Fight
Friday night. Sakura walked home from her job. This was the only night that Spike let her go free. He had come to trust her to go out on her own. She had wised up enough over the months. The tenshi-chi learned how to watch her surroundings at night.
“Watch your back,” he told her. She only nodded at him.
“Okay,” the nurse said. Sakura glanced around with each step. Her long brown jacket hid her clothes tonight. Her wings even looked invisible tonight. Spike had taught her how to hide them when she was alone.
“You draw too much attention with them,” he told her on another day. “You need to try and blend in more often.”
“How do I do that?” Sakura asked. Spike shrugged at her.
“You'll figure out how,” he pointed out. “That's what you do anyway.” Then, he headed out for some beer. Sakura looked after him, blankly.
“Okay then…” she mumbled. Took about three weeks (and some heavy guidance from Pancha), but Sakura was beginning to master hiding her weeks. They still seemed to hold their shape and form. At least, they weren't that noticeable at first glance anymore.
Sakura felt thirsty and decided to stop for a drink. Spike usually went to bars. Maybe, she could start there. She had many things about alcohol. Good or bad, it had her curious enough to try it. Sakura came over to Astros's. Looks like happy hour had just started to unfold. Some of the people were just wandering to the lights like moths to the bonfire. Sakura looked at the bright, pale neon lights. Without much thought, she walked into the building along with the growing crowd.
Old jazz was the first thing to catch her attention. The smoke odor didn't bother Sakura so much. (She was used to Spike, Jet, and Faye smoking around the ship the whole time.) The tenshi-chi took baby steps into the bar and sat near the far end nearest to the back exit. The bar tender only glanced at her while washing a dirty glass.
“Can I help you tonight, miss?” he asked. Sakura looked at the menu for a moment.
“I'm new here,” she said. “What would you recommend?”
“A newbie, huh?” he asked. Sakura blinked at him for one moment.
“Newbie?” she questioned. It took a while for her to see what he was getting at.
“Oh,” she said. “Yeah, I am. I don't get out at bars much.”
“I can see that.”
“So what would you recommend?”
“Are you looking for something heavy or light?”
“Light, I guess.” The bar tender smiled at her.
“Hang on,” he said. Sakura watched as the man got right to work. But, someone else was watching her as well. A man dressed in a fancy tux had his eye on her the whole time. The nurse was his target tonight. His boss made him run a special errand tonight. The man casually walked over to the bar. The bar tender handed Sakura her drink.
“Here you go, ma'am,” he said as he handed over to her.
“Thank you sir,” she replied. Sakura was about to take the drink when the suited man “bumped” into her. The cherry rice brandy spilled all over her coat.
“Oh no!” she wailed. “My coat!” The man looked up when she yelled.
“Oh, I'm so sorry!” he lied. “Let me get that for you!” This charming man reached into his jacket and pulled out his handkerchief. He rubbed on her coat to clean up the strain. Sakura shoed away his head.
“You've done enough!” she said. The man paused and bowed his head.
“Do forget me!” he said again. “Please let me make it up to you!” He turned to the bar tender.
“Buy her another drink,” the man said. “Put it on my tab.”
“It's okay,” the tenshi-chi insisted. “Really.”
“No,” her new acquaintance insisted. “Let me buy you a drink. Please! It is the least I can do.” Sakura thought about this for a moment. She glanced at the man. He seemed so genuine.
“Just a drink?” the nurse questioned. The man nodded his head.
“Yes,” he pushed. Sakura didn't say anything at first. Then, she pressed her lips together.
“Just a drink,” she murmured. The man began to smile.
“Thank you miss,” he said. He turned back to bar tender.
“You heard the woman,” the “gentleman” said. “Get to it!” The bar tender rolled his eyes at him.
“Fine, your highness,” he said sarcastically. “Pushy bastard.” The man pretended not to hear him. The bar tender just poured the drinks.
Sakura and her new “friend” spent the night talking. All the while, the gentleman counted down in his head. He just wanted the money. No sob story; he was just bored. The job offered the excitement. Plus a pretty girl involved was a slam dunk. Sakura squeezed her wrist as she talked. Something seemed off about this guy. She didn't know how to explain it, but she didn't leave. The nurse didn't want to come off as rude to this man after he apologized for spilling her drink. Yet, she had to get away. Sakura looked around for a clear route to the exit. There was the one behind her, but how could she get there without drawing too much attention?
“Something wrong?” her “friend” asked. The tenshi-chi returned back to earth. The man sat in front of her with his grey eyes locked into her amber eyes. Sakura quickly shook her head.
“No, no,” she lied. “Uh… I was just looking for a clock in this place.” The man raised an eyebrow at her.
“Need to be somewhere?” he questioned.
“No, no,” she brushed off. “It's just my boyfriend doesn't want me to stay out late. He gets worried when I do.”
I'll better he does,” the man thought.
“At least stay for that drink,” he insisted instead. “I do own you after all.” Sakura only bit her lip.
“Are you sure?” she asked. “Can't we do this another time?”
“No,” the man said as he shook his head. “We can't.” Sakura looked down at her feet.
“Just a drink…” she said to herself. The scumbag smiled at her.
“That's a good girl,” her murmured. Sakura shuddered all over. His voice just sounded so creepy. The drinks finally arrived. The nurse breathed out slowly through her nose. Just get through this and get out of here as fast as she could. The man handed her a glass after he secretly spilled something into the glass. He picked up his own glass.
“To mistakes corrected,” the man said as he raised drink to toast. Sakura nodded meekly. They both drank up. In a short span of five seconds, the nurse felt dizzy and sank into a heavy sea of black. The man's face revealed a hidden smirk. He reached into his jacket and pulled out his cell phone. He made the call.
“It's done, Lord Vicious,” the well-dressed thug said. Then, he hung up.
Close to midnight, Spike's cell phone rang. He picked it up with the lit cigarette hanging out of his mouth.
“Sakura?” he asked.
“I have your precious girlfriend,” a cold voice hissed on the other line. The cigarette felt out of the cowboy's mouth.
“Vicious?!?” he snapped.
“You want her back?” his nemesis asked. “Meet me in the abandoned church outside of the city. Come alone.” The other line clicked. Spike let the phone drop to the floor. Vicious picked a sore moment for a duel. The cowboy loaded up his gun and some fresh ammo. Time to save the princess, again.
Damsel in Distress