Cowboy Bebop Fan Fiction ❯ The Man With Different Eyes ❯ Enter The Blue Suited Man ( Chapter 1 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]
There was this man, he was tall and stood with hunched shoulders, as he grasped the long pole that was placed in the train cart for passengers to hold. He chose to stand even though he was alone, with only a young girl sitting across from him. He had on a blue suit, and big boots, the sleeves of his jacket, rolled and scrunched up his arms, the crooked collar of his yellow shirt was standing up. The young girl that sat across from him, watching him with curious eyes, she’d never seen such a man. She was merely fifteen , but knew that this man had a story to tell. Her big brown eyes, looked him up and down, pausing to watch his face, until the man glanced at her.



“What are you looking at kid”, He said gruffly. The girl dropped her gaze quickly, and turned instead to look out the trains window. Outside the passing scene blurred as they went along, ever so often there was sparks from the tracks. The girl realized then she would need to find a place to stay for the night, being as she’d run away from the orphanage she’d been staying at. She sighed and decided the next stop should do. She stood now to get down her duffle bag from the rack, reaching on her tip toes to grasp it, and pull it down. She stumbled as the weight fell, and nearly lost her footing as the train began to stop. A sudden grounding noise erupted , and the train halted to an abrupt stop, causing the girl to fall backward. But she did not fall as she was caught by the man in blue. A blush showed on her cheeks as she pulled from his grasp, and turned to stare at him.



“Um…T-thanks”, She sputtered, but the man simply ignored her, watching something behind her. A moment later someone came crashing through the window opposite them. The girl screamed and fell to her knees, covering her head as the glass coated the train floor. She heard the struggle, it only lasted a few moments and then the sound of gun shots went off, and then a thump was heard as someone fell.



“Damn…there goes another bounty”, Came a gruff voice. The girl sat up, and stared. The tall man stood now over the body of a cloaked figure, in his hand his gun was still steaming . He sighed tiredly, and fell back on a seat, the shoulder of his jacket stained with his own blood. He pulled out a crooked cigarette, and lit it.



“You know you aren’t suppose to smoke on this train”, The girl said meekly. The man turned to her with a dull expression, the smoke bellowing from his lips.



“What are you the smoke police”, He grumbled. The girl blushed, still staring at him. He returned the stare, his gaze traveling over her. She was a small girl, with golden curls that fell around her shoulders, her big brown eyes made her look purely innocent. With a roll of his different shaded eyes, the man stood tossing down his cigarette and crushing it with his boot. The girl smiled slightly, and watched as he took his leave.



“Um…excuse me”, She called out quietly, but her voice had been so soft he hadn’t heard her, or he merely chose to ignore her. She sighed and climbed to her feet, wincing slightly as she found a cut across her hand. She sighed and tore a piece of her skirt off and wrapped it around the wound. Looking around she spotted her duffle laying near the cloaked corpse. She tried to not look, as she went to grab it. Slinging it over her shoulder she started for the next car. She paused a moment, as she adjusted to the weight, and started for the doorway. She didn’t get very far, before something caught her dress. She turned to pull at it, and nearly screeched, seeing a pale hand grasping it tightly. She tried to tug it free from the man, but he wouldn’t let it go.



“Please… let go”, She begged. He raised his head, his eyes dark and crazed. He pulled at her, and grabbed her leg, knocking it out from under her. She crashed to the ground, glass slivers slicing into her back, she screamed then. The man moved quickly, his cold hands gripping her neck and choking her. Her voice failed her, as she tried to get him to release her.



“I’ve got, you little wench”, The man said wickedly, a smile on his pale lips. The young girls eyes, grew wide and filled with frightful tears, as the life began to leave her body. Her struggling was in vain, and soon her eyes drifted shut. Everything was black, but then amazingly the weight of the crude man’s hands was gone. She took a quick breath, cool air filling her lungs. Her eyes fluttered open for a second, catching the image of a someone who stood over her. His eyes… were different shades of brown.











“ Well, Why’d you bring her back her”, A woman exclaimed, her bright green eyes flashing angrily. The man she yelled at merely took another drag from his cigarette, ignoring her. The woman glared at him, before turning to an older man who attended to the young girl that lay inertly on a bright yellow couch.



“Jet”, She exclaimed incredulously, “ You aren’t seriously letting that girl stay, right?”. The older man turned to glance at the loud woman, he ran his mechanical arm over his bald head.



“First, we’ll find out some information about her when she comes too”, Jet replied in his thick voice. As he spoke the girl beside him stirred. Her russet eyes fluttered open, and then closed against the intense light. Jet stood and backed up, so as not to frighten her.



“W-where am I?”, She questioned her timid voice sounding hoarse. The trio of adults all watched her as she slowly sat up, wincing in pain from the cuts on her back. She squinted, and then opened her eyes, as they adjusted to the lighting. She stared a moment at the man who sat across from her.



“That’s Spike, he saved you”, Jet said, gaining the girls attention. She blinked, her eyes scanning the man before her. He was aged, maybe late or mid forties. He had a bald head, black beard, and a scar across one eye, his right arm was mechanical.



“But… how’d I get here?”, She asked, turning back to look at Spike. He sat lazily one arm slung over the back of a yellow couch. His shoulder was wrapped in a bandage, a small circle of blood was showing through. He let out a puff of smoke, before looking at her.



“I carried you here, of course”, He replied dully. A blush snuck onto the girls pale cheeks and she looked at her feet.



“T-thank you then, for saving my life”, She replied quietly. Spike just cast a look at Jet, and rolled his eyes. Jet sighed, and took a seat beside the girl. She looked up at him, and brushed back a pale curl from her face.



“I’m Jet, and now you know Spike, and”, He paused to look up at the woman standing on the staircase, the girl following his gaze, “and well, that is Faye”. Faye glared at him, but then dropped it as she looked at the girl.



“Oh, nice to meet you… I’m, my name is Rosa”, She said. Jet looked at her in surprise, but smiled.



“Rosa, beautiful name. So do you have a place to go?”, He asked. The girl blinked and quickly glanced around at the others, nervously.



“Um. Yes, I’m staying with my aunt. I can just go there by myself”, She sputtered. Jet raised an eyebrow at her, but didn’t question her. Spike leaned forward then, and put out his cigarette in the ash tray on the table between them.



“You’re a bad lair”, He said casually. Rosa looked at him a bit surprised.



“I’m not lying, why do you say that”, She said trying to act normally. Spike just chuckled lightly, and pointed to her duffle that sat on the floor beside the couch.



“You certainly have a lot of clothes in that bag, did you run away or something?”, He asked. Rosa sighed, and got to her feet.



“I was on my way to my Aunts, I’m just recently moving in with her, since my mother’s in the hospital. That’s all”, She replied offhandedly. Spike just rolled his eyes, and turned to Jet.



“You handle this, I’m to tired”, He said. Jet glanced at the girl, and smiled kindly.



“If you’ve run away from somewhere, we’ll have to return you. There is no sense in lying to us, we’re only trying to help you”, Jet said, getting to his feet. Rosa looked at him, and reached for her bag, slinging it over her shoulder hastily.



“I’m not a run away, now just butt out. I don’t need any help from anyone, I’m just fine”, She snapped, and then she dashed for the stairs, pushing past Faye, and into a hall. Jet sighed.



“Rosa, wait come back”, He called, heading for the stairs. Spike jumped up and jogged up the stairs before Jet.



“Stay there old man, I’ll get her”, He said. He left, and found the girl quickly, she stood at the end of the hall, looking around lost. He approached her slowly, knowing she was probably scared.



“Hey, kid… come here”, He called. She turned around, and looked at him.



“Just show me where the door is, after that I don’t need anymore help from you”, She said in a panic. Spike sighed, and walked up to her, grabbing her bag, and easily lifting it from her hands. She tried in vain to get it back, but Spike grabbed her wrist, and started to pull her back with him. Rosa screamed loudly, and struggled against him.



“Let me go, stop it”, She yelled. She was starting to panic, her breathing quick and short. She worked herself up into such a fuss, her eyes soon drooped as she passed out from distress. Spike quickly caught her, and winced as he tore open his wound again.



“Damn girl”, He cursed. He easily lifted her dead weight, and carried her back to the room they were previously in.





As he entered he found his two companions staring at him wide eyed.



“What did you do?”, Jet exclaimed in anger seeing the girl in Spikes arms. Spike shrugged, coming down the stairs.



“Tried to get her back her, and she freaked out, probably passed out from exhaustion. She’s nothing but skin and bone”, Spike said. He laid the girl down on the couch and then dropped her duffle bag on the table.



“We can look through this while she’s out, get some clue as to where we should bring her”, He said. Jet sighed, and took a seat on the couch opposite the girl. Faye, mean while looked at the girl, she leaned down to gaze at her, and brushed back a curl that had fallen across her pale face.



“She looks like a doll”, She mused quietly, and then glanced at the men, who stared at her curiously. “What”, She snapped.



“Nothing, just don’t get attached, she needs to go back to what ever place she came from”, Jet said, slightly amused. Spike sighed haggardly, and opened the duffle in front of him. He leafed through it, before coming up with a crumpled picture in a cheap painted gold frame.



“Well, by the looks of this, she’s an orphan”, He said, handing the picture to Jet, who studied it.



“To bad, she must of run away from an orphanage, most likely thought anything would be better”, Jet said, placing the picture on the table. Faye glanced at it, and then looked back at the girl with a softened expression. Spike continued his search, finding a small pouch of money, and small notebook, with a pencil stuck in the spirals, and then some paper work.



“Looks like she stole these papers from her orphanage, she must have been looking for her parents”, Spike said, placing them on the table. Faye took a seat on the edge of the couch where Rosa lay, and picked up the small notebook. She flipped through the pages, scanning them, and then paused as she found something.



“Listen to this. I just found out today that my parents were both killed long ago in a gate accident. My mother and father had left me with my Aunt, while visiting some friends on Earth. My Aunt after hearing the news, gave me up to an orphanage, not wanting the responsibility of a child”, Faye looked up at the men, and then sighed.



“Poor girl”, Jet said sadly. Faye continued looking through the notebook, pausing again as she found something else.



“This is so sad, she’s been everywhere, living on the streets and sometimes in shelters. She’s had a rough life”, Faye said glancing at the girl beside her. Faye placed the book back on the table, and leaned back, crossing her arms over her ample chest.



“She most likely has, but we still have to bring her back, it’s only right. If we leave her out in the streets of Mars, she wouldn’t last long”, Jet sighed. Faye sighed too, and stared instead at the girls latent face. Spike pulled out a small knife from the bag, and placed it on the table.



“Must of bought that for protection. This girl is pretty prepared for life on the street. I’d say she’s been out wandering around for a couple years now, most likely the orphanage has given up looking for her”, Spike said, glancing at Jet. Jet nodded, and picked up the orphanage papers.



“I’ll try to find this place, and we can drop her off. We should move her into a room and keep her in there, so she doesn’t try another escape”, Jet mused. Spike sighed, and got to his feet. He went over and lifted up the girl and then left to go to his room. She’d be safe in there.





He laid her down on his bed, and then stood back to look at her. She did have the appearance of a doll, and many similar qualities of someone long expired.



“Julia”, Spike breathed. He caught himself, and shook his head getting the image from his mind. He couldn’t think like that, Julia was gone, he’d witnessed it himself. He sighed, rubbing at one of his eyes, and stared at the girl again.



“You’re not her”, He said finally, before he turned and left, locking the door behind himself.











Later on in the night, Jet came back to the living room and sat down with a sigh. He called for his two companions, and soon they both appeared in the round door way leading from the hall.



“What is it? Is something wrong?”, Faye asked, stepping through into the room. Spike came in and leaned over the railing, sweat rolling down his face and bare chest. He’d been doing kung fu in another room.



“Yeah, guess the orphanage the girl was from closed down long ago. The people who ran the place had been charged with severe child abuse charges. We’ll have to keep her here until we find another orphanage that can take her”, Jet said haggardly. Faye sighed, plopping down on the couch opposite the older man. She ran her hands through her short black hair, and looked up to the ceiling, thinking something over.



“I…I guess she can sleep in my room, until we find a place. She’ll need to stay in a room with another woman”, Faye said composedly, giving a small sigh after. Jet raised his eyebrows at her offer, but didn’t argue with her.



“Good, go set up a cot and I’ll move her in”, Spike said, and before Faye could respond he had already left the room. Faye sighed getting to her feet to do as he had said.











Spike arrived at his door, and quickly became aware that there was heavy movement going on behind it. He
unlatched the door and swung it open. He found the girl standing on a chair by a small port window. She was struggling to open it, her small hands grasping at the sides, trying futilely to open it. When she realized someone now stood watching her, she turned around to face him. Her eyes were blood shot from crying and wild from frustration.



“Why are you doing this?”, She cried hoarsely. Spike sighed leaning against the doorframe.



“I’m not doing anything. We’re just trying to help you, just calm down. You’ll be staying with us a while longer, apparently your orphanage was closed down”, Spike replied casually. The girl let out a shuttering breath, rubbing at her blood shot eyes.



“But you’re still going to send me to another orphanage, and then I’ll live out the rest of my life in another hell hole. Why won’t you just let me go back to Mars, and live like I have for the past five years”, She cried, tears starting to form in her eyes again. She wiped them away forcefully, refusing to show her weakness to this man. Spike just sighed again, giving her a dull shrug.



“Hell kid, I don’t really care. But you won’t last much longer on those streets. Mars is a dangerous place, I should know”, Spike said, turning to leave her.



“How do you know?”, The girl asked, watching him with her intense eyes. He felt a jolt in his stomach, as the memory flashed through his mind again. Her golden locks flying out behind her, and the way she fell like a rag doll. Then way he watched the life faded from her brown eyes, as he held her. The girl noticed his silence, and the strange and depressing look that flashed across his façade.



“…I just do kid”, He replied softly, turning to walk away. Rosa stared at his back as it got further away. She thought for a few moments before she left the room and followed him. He paused as he came to turn and then stopped in front of an open doorway. Inside the girl could see the older woman from before, spreading out a mattress on the floor of her room. Spike stood a moment, watching her then leaned beside the door frame.



“Faye, you ready yet?”, He asked. Faye looked up slightly startled, but recovered quickly turning to the girl. She gave her a kindly smile and patted the mattress with a manicured hand.



“Here this will be your bed for now”, She said to the girl. Rosa sniffled, glancing at Spike before she entered the room. Spike nodded at them and then he was gone.





Faye sat a while observing the girl silently, she noticed her swollen red eyes, and how the girl’s face had a few smudges of dirt on it. She smiled slightly as she got up from her bed, and sat down in front of the girl, surprising her slightly.



“Hey, how about we get you cleaned up?”, Faye asked, her voice sympathetic. Rosa didn’t answer, simply shaking her head.



“Oh, come now. Every girl loves a good pampering session. Look we can get you a shower, and to get you clean, then I can paint your nails. You’ll feel so much better”, Faye said, eyeing the girl. Rosa felt a smile creep across her face, as the woman smiled at her kindly.



“I guess so”, Rosa said. Faye nodded and got to her feet. She went over to a small dresser and pulled out two towels. She stepped over the girls bed, and stood in the door way.



“Come on, follow me”, She said.