Crossover Fan Fiction / Crossover With Non-anime Series Fan Fiction / Naruto Fan Fiction ❯ NAvatarUTO ❯ Village in Shambles ( Chapter 25 )

[ P - Pre-Teen ]

The fight was over. The leaf had successfully foiled the sound and Sand's attempts to destroy the village, but it was far from victory.

Economically, Konoha had taken a huge blow. The various feudal lords and ladies did not take well to being put under a mass genjutsu while full out war raged around them. It had been done by Kabuto to keep them out of the fight, but they didn't see it that way. To them, Konoha had betrayed their trust because it was too weak to defend itself. The whole ordeal would cost the village lots of money and many of their costumers.

The village was in tenuous political standings at best. Soon after the invasion the leaf got a disturbing message from the sand. The Kazekage was found dead, his face removed by some forbidden jutsu. This was no doubt the work of Orochimaru. It was clear he had taken on the guise of Kazekage in order to kill the third Hokage, but how much of the invasion was just Orochimaru's doing? Suna was still wary of the Leaf, believing the fire lord's warnings of malicious intent, but after such a battle, neither village was strong enough to start a war. Meetings needed to be held post-haste between the two villages to discuss their standing as allies, but that was currently impossible since neither had a leader.

Hiruzen Sarutobi, the third hokage, the god of shinobi, was dead. Orochimaru's attack had taken the life of Konoha's leader as well as many others. The village was left in shambles; the hospital beds were filled with injured shinobi and many buildings had been destroyed.

Aang, Sokka, Toph and Katara didn't know what to do. They wanted to help but they didn't know who was in power to let them. Besides the Hokage, the gaang had no idea how the leaf village was lead. Unsure of what else to do, Aang and the others went to speak to Kakashi.

Said ninja was lost in thought, his mind wandering from the task of rebuilding infront of him. He'd heard from Asuma how the avatar and his friends had helped fight the invasion and Kakashi didn't know how to feel about that. Why would they put their lives in danger to help the ones meant to protect them? What's their motive? Kakashi had hoped his team would find that out on their mission to protect the avatar in the forest of death, but then… Then that bastard Orochimaru had separated the teams so he could get his filthy hands on Sasuke. Kakashi grimaced. The avatar didn't seem at all inclined to help their guards then, so why now? Had they just had a change of heart? Kakashi didn't know what the Avatar was up to, but speculation would have to wait for later, as he noticed the gaang walking up to him.

“Why are you four outside by yourselves?” He asked immediately. “Where are your guards?”

They looked at each other. “Uh, we don't have any.” Katara said.

Kakashi frowned. The task of assigning guards to the Avatar must have been forgotten or disregarded in the aftermath of the battle.

“But, um, we were wondering if there was any way we could help rebuild the village.” Katara continued. “I'm a healer, and Toph and Aang can use earth bending on the outer wall.”

Sokka noded. “I've got some building experience, though it's mostly been out of snow.”

Kakashi stared down at the smiling kids in front of them. It looked like they had good intentions but… “No.” He said.

“What? Why not?” Aang asked.

Toph crossed her arms. “Rude.” She said. “I bet it's cause we're benders.”

“I'm not!” Sokka pointed out.

Kakashi held up a hand for silence. “It wouldn't be safe for you to be out and about so much. I have my suspicions that there may be a fire bender hiding in the village.”

The gaang looked at each other. “…Is that so…”

“I believe he is currently in the hospital recuperating from his fight with Naruto. We can't afford him to see you. As Lord Third…” Kakashi paused. He still couldn't believe he was gone. “As Lord Third told you, the village cannot stand in the way of the fire lord. In order to hide your presence from him, you will stay guarded in your suite until the fire bender leaves. You may not go outside until that happens. Food will be brought to you.”

Aang blinked. “That seems…extreme.”

“Isn't that a little unnecessary?” Katara added.

Kakashi gave them a look to say that the discussion was over. “I'll escort you back to your rooms. I'd like to assign someone of higher rank to protect you, but the village is currently short some ninja.” Toph gulped. Had that many people died in the attack? How could he say that so casually? To the guy beside him who seemed to be turning into wood Kakashi said, “Tenzo, would you mind telling Sakura to go to the Avatar's place immediately?”

He frowned. “I'm a little busy, Kakashi. She's your student, not mine.”

Kakashi sighed, and made a shadow clone to send after Sakura. Sokka's eyes widened in amazement. “You can do that too? I thought that was Naruto's thing!”

Kakashi ignored him. “Let's go.” He said. “I have to meet up with someone after this.”

On the way to the flat, they passed by the teashop where Kakashi had planed on meeting Sasuke. Something caught the jonin's eye; two figures wearing matching black cloaks emblazoned with red clouds and straw hats that obscured their faces. Suspicious. That wasn't a Learf uniform, so they had to be foreigners. Kakashi would have to check on those two before Sasuke arrived. “Let's pick up the pace.” He told his charges.