Crossover Fan Fiction / Gundam Wing Fan Fiction / Sailor Moon Fan Fiction ❯ There Goes My Life ❯ There Goes My Life ( Chapter 1 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Author's Notes: Hey everyone, its been a while since I've written a song fic. But I always hear this song on the radio and I got a idea and couldn't get rid of it. So I'm going to sit here tonight and type it all up. I hope you like it and remember to review and let me know what you think. And a special thanks to my friend Nikki, who has helped me with this story and gave me many ideas to use.

Disclaimer: Ok here we go, I have to do disclaimers all by myself because my Duo escaped last night while I worked on a collab story with my friend Nikki. And DP, my muse, well I cant find her, yet. Anyways, lets see, I do not own Gundam Wing or Sailor Moon, if I did I would be raping Hiro and Duo and learning to cook from Makoto. I also don't own There Goes My Life by Kenny Chesney, cause if I did I would be all over Kenny right now. All I own is me…and I'm not to sure about that.

Summary: A year after they met by some twist of fate, Rei and Duo's relationship is going strong. Everything seemed to be going fine in their final year at school, until something happens that will change the way Duo and Rei look on life. (Mainly its about Duo)

There Goes My Life

Kalina Blue Star

~All he could think about was, I'm too young for this, I've got my whole life ahead, Hell I'm just a kid myself, How am I gonna raise one~

Duo Maxwell slung his bag on his back and headed down the hall, towards the gym. It was almost time for baseball pratice and he didn't want to be late. After all, in just a few short days they would be playing their rivals in one of the biggest games of the year. And he, the star player and captain, had to make sure theat they did well. Everyone was depending on him.

He hadnt gotten that far down the hall when his long time girlfriend, came around the corner and ran into him. Instinct and love had him reaching out and gripping her arms to keep her steady. Deep purple eyes looked up at him, worry written all over them. Now that was something new, Hino Rei was never worried about anything. Before Duo could say anything, she gently pulled herself from his grasp and whispered in his ear, "I need to talk to you after pratice."

With that said, she fled, too afraid to say anything more. Duo watched as her black hair disappeared in the crowd. Shaking his head, he walked to the gym, wondering what that was all about and what had gotten into his girlfriend.

Normally she was cool and collected, wise and always ready to defend her friends. She had all the traits of a Shinto priestess needed to have and Duo respected and loved her for that. But now, she was acting weird, when he stopped to think about it. He was thinking on it still as he entered the gym and headed towards the locker room, where several of his teammates called out random comments about the game in two days. He was forced to shove all thoughts about Rei and her mood aside so that he could concentrate on pratice.

While Duo was at baseball pratice, Rei was walking home to her temple with her two closest friends, Tsukino Usagi and Aino Minako. Both girls had their arms wrapped around Rei's shoulders and they whispered as they walked.

"I can't believe this happened. I don't know how I'm going to tell Duo." Rei murmured, reaching up to wipe tears from her eyes.

Minako gave her friend a half hug, "Oh sweetie, it will be ok…if I know Duo, he will be there for you no matter what. He loves you."

Usagi nodded, her heart going out to her firey friend, "Minako-chan is right, Rei-chan. Duo, no matter how nutty and immature he acts, will be there. And if he isnt, then we can get Haruka-san to beat him up."

That made Rei laugh softly, "Yeah but still. What are we going to do, we still have the rest of this year of school, and then college."

Usagi looked thoughtful, "Well, I think you need to tell Duo first, and talk about it with him, then you guys can decide what to do. And we only have a few more weeks of school yet and you have plenty of time to decide things and talk about it."

Rei nodded at that as they came to the temple steps and she looked at her friends, giving them tight hugs, "Thank you. I don't know what I would do without you. I'm glad that you're my friends. I don't know what I would do without you."

Usagi hugged her and commented, "Well you wouldn't have anyone to yell at when they screwed up, that's for sure."

Minako laughed, "You wouldn't have anyone to help you with your clothes too."

Rei shook her head, "You guys are too much, I'll see you later." Once they said their good byes, Rei started up the steps, wanting to have her chores done by the time Duo came over.

Several hours later, Duo swas standing around the locker room, soaked in sweat. The pratice had been rough as everyone tried to stay at the top of their game. He hooked a towel around his shoulders as his friend Melvin walked up to him. Melvin was one of Duo's closet friends since he moved to Japan from America to be with Rei after they met when Rei and her friends travelled to America to fight a evil witch who wanted to rule. Melvin looked at Duo, who was lost in thought over Rei.

Melvin finally had to snap a wet towel across Duo's back to get his attention. This action caused Duo to jump, yelp, then glare at Melvin, who was laughing, "Man what is with you today? You have been like out there ever since you got here."

Duo shrugged as he picked up his bag and pulled out his car keys, "Its nothing. Just that Rei wants to talk to me and didn't say what about. She seemed different so I'm worried about her."

Melvin nodded in understanding and gave him a nudge towards the door, "Then go and see whats up with her. I mean come on, quit fooling around."

Duo rolled his eyes, "Alright alright" And with that said, he quickly left the gym for the student parking lot. Within minutes he was in his Firebird and speeding off towards the temple. Even though Rei hadnt told him where to meet, he knew that she would be at the temple since she had chores to do. If there was one thing he loved about Rei is that she put her responsibilities first before fun, whether it be her duty to the temple or to the Senshi.

As he drove to the temple, he couldn't help but to wonder what his fellow gundam pilots were doing. He knew that Hiro was here in Japan somewhere, hiding from Relena Peacecraft. And Duo couldn't blame him one bit. Trowa was in America with his circus buddies, what fun was that. And he didn't have a clue what Quatre and Wufei were doing. Once again he regretted having to get rid of their Gundams.

Soon he pulled over and parallel parked across from the temple steps. Pocketing his car keys, he whistled cheerfully as he walked slowly up the steps. Then, at the top, he stopped and stared. She was a vision, he thought as he silently watched Rei, garbed in temple robes, with her hair tied back, as she swept the temple grounds. Cherry blossoms scattered in the wind as she looked up at him and gave him a small smile, the very one that made him fall in love with her in the first place.

Rei watched as Duo walked over to her, his steps cocky. Smiling to herself she thought, "Some things never change. And, oh how I hope that they never do. I hope that nothing changes after I tell him." She leaned into him when he gave her a hello kiss, the broom she was holding falling to the ground as she slipped her arms around his neck. Duo replied in kind by wrapping his arms around her waist and holding her close. When they broke apart, Rei's face was flushed and Duo got that look in his eyes that she knew all to well. Before he could act on that look, she gently pulled away and knelt to pick up the broom.

~All he could see were his dreams, Going up in smoke', So much for ditching this town,

And hangin' out on the coast, oh well, Those plans are long gone, He said...~

Duo looked at her oddly and checked around them, thinking that maybe she saw her grandfather. But Grandfather Hino was no where to be seen and that confused him. Usually Rei was as willingly as he was to disappear for a few hours and get lost in each other's arms. That, with everything else, tipped him off that something was wrong. So he gently grasped Rei's arm and led her to the temple steps. Once they were both sitting down, he looked at her, holding her hands, "Rei, sweetie, what did you want to tell me?"

Rei turned and looked into her boyfriend's eyes, once more admiring them. His eyes were the first thing she fell in love with. And as she stared into his deep purple orbs, the whole speech she had been working on as she waited disappeared. Taking a deep breath she just plunged into it.

"Duo, I had this whole speech planned out and everything. But, now that I see you, I know that its not right. So I'm just going to tell you." And she paused.

Duo looked at her expectantly, "Tell me what? Your not pregnant are you?" And he laughed at his joke. He laughed for several minutes before he realized that Rei wasn't laughing. His laughter stopped as he turned to look at her. Rei, when he said that, had gotten really pale in the face.

She smiled weakly at him, "Surprise?"

Duo just stared at her, not believing it. How could that be? They had been careful. They were always careful. And Rei was on birth control. He didn't understand how this could happen and all he could do is stare at her. His eyes flicked between her face and her stomach, utter shock written on his face.

Rei shifted uneasily. Ok so it didn't go exactly the way she thought it was with her big speech on how this wasn't what they planned, but it happened anyway. And how there was nothing they could do about it now and that they would have to work through it and take it one step at a time. No, instead, Duo made a joke that wasn't really a joke and she said surprise. Talk about breaking it to him gently. She buried her head in her hands, thinking, "Man I really screwed this one up."

The whole time Rei was having her mental breakdown, Duo just stared at her. His mind was in a uproar as he tried to process everything. Fighting with the Gundams was easier then finding out suddenly you were going to be a father. Using his hands, he shoved himself off the steps and walked off, leaving the temple and leaving Rei to stare after him, tears gathering in her eyes.

"DUO!" she yelled, standing up. When he showed no sign of hearing her, the tears fell. And as Duo walked down the temple steps she raced into her bedroom and threw herself on her bed, dissolving into tears.

He had her, only he didn't want to talk to her. He didn't want to talk to anyone. He just wanted to be by himself to think. Pulling out his car keys, Duo unlocked the door, got in and drove home. In complete silence. He moved on auto pilot as he weaved his way in and out of traffic, arriving at the house he rented.

Once there, he shut off the engine and sat there. All his dreams and plans for the future flooded his brain. Hopes of going to college, getting his degree in mechanics. Dreams of becoming a designer and creating a mobile suit that was better than the Gundams. Taking Rei and going back to America, living on the beach. Spending his days and nights with her, only her. All were gone. Everything he wanted in life was gone with one word. Pregnant.

~There goes my life, There goes my future, My everything, Might as well kiss it all good-bye, There goes my life~

He rested his head on the steering wheel for what seemed like years, only it was a few minutes. The tears that he struggled to hold fell, one by one. They left a trail down his face. It was as if each one was his dreams and hopes leaving his body. Hearing a noise outside his car, he sat up quickly, wiping the tears from his face. Gathering up his duffel bag and keys, he got out of the car and went inside. Tossing the bag on the floor and keys on the table, he walked up stairs to his room, flicking his braid over his shoulder.

By passing his computer room, something he never did when he got home from school, he walked straight into his room. His answering machine was blinking and showed he had three messages. Sitting on the bed, he pushed a button and listened to his messgaes.

Rei's voice, the beautiful voice he loved to listen to when she talked, when she sang, when she was yelling at Usagi for doing something stupid, filled the room. "Duo…Duo…answer the phone if your there. Please we need to talk. Goddess, talk to me, please don't turn away from me now. Ok I guess your not there, I'll call back later."

The next message was from Usagi. Rei must have called her after she called him. "DUO MAXWELL! You pick up that phone right NOW! I mean you braided hair baka! Rei needs you right now, this isnt the time for you to go running scared like a chicken. I swear to Selene that if you hurt her, I will hunt you down and make you suffer! CALL HER!"

He winced hearing her message. Usagi sounded really mad, and scarey. And he believed every word she said. While Usagi was the sweetest and kindest girl alive, if someone hurt her friends, she was a tiger.

The final message shocked the hell out of him. It was Hiro. And Hiro being Hiro, it was short and to the point. "Duo, if your interested I have a job for you. The rest of us are teaming up again. The government is going to giveus five mobile suits similar to the Gundams. They want us to patrol the colonies for rogues that are trying for a coup. Call me back."

That sent a whole new spin on things. While he should stay here, own up to he responsibilities to Rei and their baby, here was a chance to do what he loved to do. A chance to be back in space and in a mobile suit again. He missed the thrill of being in a cockpit, of soaring through space, of blasting wrong doers. Duo was always a little resentful of Rei and her friends for having the ability to fight evil without needing a mobile suit.

His mind was spinning as he weighed his options. He could do it. He could pick up the phone, call Hiro back, pack a bag, get on a plane and be gone. He could call Rei from Hiro's and let her know that he was going. Hell, he could go over there and tell her that. All of it could be done in a matter of minutes. And there was nothing stopping him. Except…Rei.

Rei and the child she carried. His child. His little baby. A miniture Duo. Something that was his, his and his love's. Something that would last. A part of him that could never go away.

He closed his eyes and laid back on the bed, letting his head rest on the soft quilt. A quilt that Rei picked out. And if he took a deep breath, he could smell her purfume. As all the thoughts of Rei, his child, and space tumbled around in his head, Duo drifted off to sleep, telling himself that after a quick nap, he would make his decision and go tell Rei what he chose.

~A couple years of up all night, And a few thousand diapers later, That mistake he thought he'd made, Covers up the refrigerator, oh yeah, He loves that little girl~

The door slammed shut as he walked through it, right into the kitchen. He set his laptop down on the counter, home after a hard and late day's work at the company where he analyzed mobile suits and judged them suitable for flight. It wasn't his dream job but it paid for the bills. He could hear his wife and daughter coming down the stairs to see him and he smiled, turning to the fridge, to get a soda.

Pictures stared back at him. It was a visual collage of his daughter's life, from the first picture of her at the hospital to her second birthday. Pictures of him sleeping on the couch with her on his chest, sleeping, of him and Rei at a picnic with the others, the baby between the two of them. They made him smile fondly as he remembered.

Rei walked in with the baby on her hip and she gave him a quick kiss, "Late night?"

He nodded as he took his daughter and pressed many small kisses all over her face and the laughter of a baby filled the kitchen. Rei was smiling as she watched them. Duo didn't know what he would have done, if he didn't have his two loves with him each day. The love he had for the both of him filled him from head to toe.

His daughter reached out and got a piece of his braid and yanked on it, a sharp burst of pain shooting through his head. When once upon a time he would have yelled and cursed, all he did was laugh and give a little toss in the air, catching her as she came down. Her giggles were infectious and soon both he and Rei were laughing.

Rei leaned over and brushed a kiss on his forehead, "I'm going to go and get her bed ready, play a little then send her on up."

Nodding absently, Duo sat the child on the floor and took a seat at the table, watching her closely. The tousled brown curls streaked with purple, like her mother's raven hair was. Her eyes were a deep purple, like his, that held a intelligence that surprised him everytime he saw her. Everything about his daughter was perfect in his eyes.

~ Momma's waitin' to tuck her in, As she stumbles up those stairs, And she smiles back at him, Draggin' that teddy bear, Sleep tight, blue eyes and bouncin' curls, And he smiles....~

After several minutes, he stood up and bent down, picking her up. Letting out a sleepy whimper, the little girl snuggled her head against her father's shoulder as he carried her over to the stairs. Tilting his head, Duo gently rested his head on hers, breathing deep. The baby scent of pampers and baby powder flooded his nose. He would never get tired of it.

Standing at the base of the stairs, he looked at the sleepy child in his arms and wondered how he ever thought of her as a mistake. It just blew his mind on how he used to think and how he thought now. Shame burned through his system as he pressed a light kiss to his daughter's head before sitting down. The toddler walked, shaky on her legs, over to wear her favorite teddy bear lay. It was the same bear he bought when Rei went into labor.

He knelt at the bottom of the stairs as he watched her struggle to climb the short flight of stairs. It was a normal routine if he came home late. Rei would stay up with her until he came home. He would cuddle with her before she went off to bed. Then him and Rei would spend a quite moment together before going to sleep. It, and this life left him with a content feeling.

She gripped the bear and dragged it behind her as she did the baby walk upstairs, bracing her arms on one stair then crawling up it and repeating the process. And no matter how many times Duo saw it, it made him smile. And before she turned the corner to go to her mother, she gave him one last smile.

~ There goes my life, There goes my future, My everything, I love you, daddy, goodnight

There goes my life~

Duo jerked awake and stared at the ceiling. He blinked several times as the images of his dream flooded his brain. It seemed so real to him that he had to pinch himself, just to make sure that he wasn't asleep. The pain was real and it replaced the images for a second.

"That was weird. How could a dream be so real?" he whispered, rolling off the bed, his feet hitting the floor with a thud. Flicking on the hall light, he walked downstairs into the kitchen. The house in his dream was this one and he gave the fridge a quick glance.

There were no pictures of a baby. Only pictures of him and Rei, of the group, and one group photo of the Gundam pilots. He reached up and ran a finger over Deathscythe, getting lost in memory. Gods, he could almost feel it now, him in the gundam and them blazing through the mobile suits that opposed them. Back during the time that he was Shinigami, God of Death.

He grabbed a bottle of water out of the fridge and slammed the door shut, wishing he could slam the door on all these thoughts that he was having about the good ole days. He knew, that without a doubt, if Hiro hadnt of called, then he would be back at Rei's and making plans for their future together. As he headed back upstairs, the phone rang. He ignored it and let the machine pick up.

He heard his own voice, "Shinigami isnt it, so leave a message and I might call you back." Then there was a long beep and Minako's voice sounded.

"Duo-chan, Rei-chan has called me five times. She is worried about you. And she's upset. Please, I know that her being pregnant is big thing, but you guys can work through it. I know you can. If you cant call her, then call me. Talk to me and maybe I can help. Bye."

He rubbed his eyes. Duo knew that he should call Rei, tell her that he wasn't dead or anything. Anything to reassure her that he still loved her but just needed to be alone to think. He felt like scum for just leaving her like he did. He took a swig of water as he sat on the bed, staring at his phone. It wouldn't take much effort to pick it up and call her. To explain the situation he was in now. But the former Gundam pilot just couldn't bring himself to doing it. With a sigh, he laid back down and drifted off asleep again.

~ She had that Honda loaded down with Abercrombie clothes, And fifteen pairs of shoes and his American Express, He checked the oil, slammed the hood,

Said you're good to go, she hugged them both, And headed off to the west...coast.~

Duo stared at the car in front of him. Clothes, boxes of books, shoes, and stuffed animals were crammed in it. The ole teddy bear he gave her when she was born was sitting in the back dash, grinning at him. He wiped away a tear that fell. Shaking his head, he popped the trunk and gave the engine a look over. A last check of the oil and he was done. There was just one more thing he had to do. Pulling a old poloroid out of his back pocket he taped it on the console on the car, right by the radio where she couldn't miss it.

The opening of the front door had him turning. Rei, her hair pulled back, beckoned him to come inside. So he did, the walk to the door seeming forever. He took his time, because each step he took brought him closer to saying good bye to his baby. Finally he was there, walking through the door as he had so many times before.

Only unlike the others, he woudnt be scooping his baby in his arms and tossing her in the air. He wouldn't be saying come home by curfew as she rushed out. He wouldn't be snapping prom pictures, brushing off her protests. No this time he would be hugging her and wishing her the best of luck as she went to find her dreams. Like he wanted to, so many years ago.

With a sigh, he turned to her, once again taken back by the beautiful young woman she had become right before his very eyes. Eyes so like his own violet ones stared back at him, tears shimmering. He started to say something, but stopped because of the lump in his throat.

"I know Daddy, I know." She whispered, throwing her arms around him and clinging to him. Duo held her tight, turning his head into her hair to hide his tears. Rei watched them, tears falling. It was her sniffle that had them pulling away from each other.

"I love you baby, and remember, you will always have a home with us." He told her, his voice rough. She nodded and he handed her his credit card and joked, "Use it in good health."

She laughed at him, "Oh daddy." Turning she hugged Rei and walked outside. Turning she waved to them one last time. Rei and Duo were standing in the doorway, arms around eachother as she pulled away. As they watched the car disappear over a hill, Rei turned to he husband and he hugged her tight, whispering a name to her softly.

~ And he cried... There goes my life, There goes my future, My everything, I love you, baby, good-bye~

Duo jerked away again, only this time it was a voice in his ear that had him awakening. Blinking the sleep from his eyes, he looked around wildly for the voice. It echoed in his ear, faintly.

"I love you Daddy, your making the right choice."

"What in the hell?" he yelped, not seeing anyone with him. And then it hit him. And he knew what he had to do. Leaping out of bed, he grabbed a change of clothes and took a quick shower before changing. Then grabbing his wallet and keys he left making one stop. Then just as soon as that was taken care of he whipped out his cell phone and called Rei.

She answered with, "DUO! Where have you been? I've been so worried!"

"I'm sorry honey, but I had a lot of thinking to do. Look I'm on my way over so we can talk ok? I'll be there in just a few minutes."

Rei protested, "But its past midnight."

"I know and I'm sorry, but please…just…"

"Ok, I'll see you when you get here."

Duo snapped shut his phone and tore through the streets. It didn't take him long to get to the temple since it was past midnight and the streets were empty. Within minutes he was parked and racing up the stairs, one hand in his pocket, gripping something. Rei was waiting for him at the top of the temple stairs, wearing a robe over her nightgown. Her eyes were tearstained from the crying she had done.

Duo didn't say anything, he just wrapped her up in a tight hug. Taken back, it took Rei a moment to get over the shock and she hugged him back. Her shoulders shook with sobs as she buried her head in his shoulder and cried. Duo just held her, rubbing a hand over her back, murmuring soothing words.

Soon the sobs usubsided and she pulled back to look at him. Duo's heart almost broke as he stared down at her tear stained face. If he could, he would go back in time to change it all. To take back the hurt he caused her by his own selfishness. Silently he led her over to a bench and the two of them sat down.

Duo stared down at the ground for a moment, not knowing where to start. Rei just studied him, one hand resting on her stomach and the other on his arm, as if just to make sure he was really there. Several moments of silence passed until Rei broke it, "I love you Duo-kun. No matter what happens between us, I love you."

Duo looked up at her, his face carefully blank, "I know. I got a call today from Hiro." Rei nodded, she had met him on the occasion, "He told me that the government wants the Gundam pilots. They have new mobile suits for us and want us to patrol around the colonies for rogues. I would have to leave right away."

The hand on his arm fell away and he cursed himself for causeing her pain. When Rei didn't say anything he continued, "I thought about it. And the thing is, no matter how much I would love to go back up into space and to be in a mobile suit again, I couldn't leave you."

Rei sniffled back tears but let him go on, "At first, I couldn't believe what you said. That we were going to have a baby. And I'm sorry for leaving like I did but I had to get away, to think. Then I got Hiro's message. And, it just added to the mix. So I thought and thought some more. I couldn't leave you Rei. I cant live without you. I couldn't live without the life we made together. You just mean to much to me. And, I'll give up going back into space as a pilot to be with you. I'd give up life to be with you. I want to be with you, I want to raise our baby. I want a family with you."

Rei threw her arms around Duo and clung to him, lost in the tears again. Any doubt she had of his love was erased. She knew that his biggest dream was to return to space as a mobile suit pilot and the very fact he was willing to give it up for her, for their baby, meant more than words. Duo held her for several long minutes before pulling away and pulling a small jewelry box out of his pocket.

"On of the best things about being a world wide hero, is that people will do anything for you." He remarked, opening the box to reveal a ring. It was simple, a gold band with a ruby in the center. Two small diamonds lay on the sides of the ruby. It seemed to fit Rei when he saw it and watching her face as he slide it on her finger, he knew, "Will you marry me Rei? Be my wife and be a mother to our child?"

Rei, for the first time in her life, seemed to be at a lost for words. He watched in amusement as she stared at the ring, then back to him. And when he reached over to wipe away a tear she whispered, "Yes."

~There goes my life... There goes my life... Baby, goodbye.~

Nine months later, in the hosptial, Duo held onto Rei's hand and coaxed her softly, "Breathe, Rei, honey, come on, lets not make it this far and have you forgetting to breathe."

The look Rei shot him would curdle milk but she did as he said and gave one final push. And as their eyes locked, a loud wailing filled the room. The doctor smiled up at them as Rei lay, weak, back on the bed. A nurse, after several minutes, carried a tiny bundle wrapped up in pink over to them. Rei held her child and smiled up at Duo as he watched them, brushing tears from his eyes.

There she was. After a long hard nine months, and several more dreams, his daughter was finally here. Crying with a set of lungs that made him proud, she sounded just like her mother, even though he would never tell his wife that. Wife, he thought, looking down at her. My wife, my daughter, my family. The one thing in this world he was lacking he had. And it just took nine months and two very convincing dreams to let him know he was were he belonged.

Gently he took his daughter from Rei and stared down at her. The baby blink and squinted up at him. A mop of tousled brown curls with purple highlights covered her hair and her eyes were violet, just as they were in the dream. And not for one moment did he regret the decision he made. He looked down at Rei as he cradled he baby in his arms, "I'm going to go and show our beautiful daughter off to all her aunts and uncles."

Rei nodded and watched as he carried her out as if she was a cloth bag of priceless gems. Outside, in the waiting room, fourteen people waited eagerly. They crowded around him as he held her up to see, "Brittani, I want you to meet your family."

Author's Notes: And there you go. *wipes away some tears* Just writing that has made me tear up. I based most of this on personal experience. Not me personally but my best friend when he and her boyfriend found out they were going to be parents. I hope its up to par for you guys. Review it and let me know what you think. I will be doing a sequel to this using Brad Paisley's song Moments Like This. I might have that one out over the next cuple of days. And once more, thank you Nikki for helping me and beta reading parts of it.