Crossover Fan Fiction / InuYasha Fan Fiction / Yu Yu Hakusho Fan Fiction ❯ A Kitsune's Tail ❯ Story time ( Chapter 8 )

[ Y - Young Adult: Not suitable for readers under 16 ]

A Kitsune's Tail
Chapter 8
Story Time
By Firedemon86
 
** Ok standard Note: I don't own any part or any characters from InuYasha and Yu Yu Hakusho. I just borrow the characters to play with for a while, and then give them back, only slightly mentally damaged… (Swings broom at Youko to force him back in my closet) Not you! You have to stay and 'play' a little longer… hahahah ok on with the story… **

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
 
“Hello again Yoko, did you miss me?”
 
The words repeated like a echo over and over again in his mind and the whole scene also replayed again and again to match the words. But the rest of his mind, was blank like a void it seem that every synapses other then replay had shut down and his mind had cease to function. Like a person talking at the opposite end of a mile long hallway, Yoko could hear Shuichi somewhere talking or sputtering he couldn't distinguish. The moment stretched on for what seemed forever to Youko as he stared into Kagome's eyes, really it was only about a minute and then time seemed to speed up unbelievably.
 
Like his tail had been plugged into an electric outlet a surge of awareness went through Youko's body and his mind came back to him. He could see many things at once everyone around him was shifting from stunned and shocked facial expression to worried and confused. Yusuke and Kuwabara had even risen up onto their knees with eyes wide but focused on Kagome's hands, they thought he'd hurt her. They thought he's hurt her for the offense of touching his ears. Normally he might but this was… this was, looking into her eyes he just couldn't understand everything seemed to be telling him this was Kagome but that couldn't be possible.
 
She was staring at him, watching his reaction as much as the others but her smile had never faded, never wavered. She knew him, she knew he wouldn't be mad with her, she knew she was safe in his arms, she trusted him completely. Youko felt his heart lunge at the thought; her looks, her actions, her smell, everything pointed to the same conclusion and while the thought brought joy it also made him uneasy. For the first time in many, many years Youko felt his heart rate increase and the beat became unsteady, something that did not even happen in battle, and he couldn't identify the emotion that stirred within for a moment, it took Shuichi to name it.
 
`You're nervous…'
 
Even Shuichi sounded amazed at this fact, and as much as Youko wanted to deny it he couldn't, his human counterpart was right. Because as much joy as he felt, he was incredibly nervous, the thought of letting this woman go again was almost a painful one, but he was Youko Kurama the greatest fox thief what could he offer her, except enemies that would kill her. It was Shuichi's calm voice that had become his voice of reason and no matter what turmoil his heart and mind might be in, he could not ignore the truth.
 
`You have to ask her Youko. Just ask it.'
 
Closing his eyes for a moment he smiled, that is what he have to do, opening his eyes again he looks at the girl and was about to speak. When movement in the room around them catches his attention, while he'd been distracted Yusuke had stood up and now was close and reaching for the girl. He meant to take her from Youko's arms. A savage growl that would send even the most nightmarish creatures that Makai could dream up running for their lives, ripped from his lips.
 
Kagome's hands paused in their petting of his ears and dropped to her chest one quick glance told him she knew the growl wasn't directed at her, this was confirmed when he smashed herself closer into his chest. Her head turned and she looks at the other people in the room for the first time. At his growl, Yukina and Keiko had backed up and Kuwabara had risen from the floor along with Genkai. All eyes were on him, and to his credit Yusuke had not backed up even a step, his eyes now locked with Youko in a glaring contest. Youko's cold voice broke the silence and put the already tense room into full alert battle ready stance.
 
“Touch this girl, Detective and I WILL rip your heart out, and feed your corpus to my plants, so not even Koenma can bring you back to life.”
 
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
 
Kagome's eyes widen as she watched everyone in the room seem to prepare for a fight to the death, if someone didn't say something there would be blood. Her eyes moved to the other people in the room mostly human just strong spirit energy, one girl was a demon and the boy closest seemed to be a hanyou. Kagome frowned why this scene seemed so familiar in her life, oh that's right, because it was, this kind of thing seemed to happen to her all the time. Sighing, she quickly decided to play her old role of peacemaker, and judging from the looks on Youko and this strange hanyou's face she had to act fast. Smiling she spoke in the overly happy tone she had so often used when the wolf demon Kouga had shown up and pledged his love for her, which had always lead to a fight with InuYasha.
 
“Youko that's not a very nice thing to say, especially if these are your friends.”
 
Not even looking at Youko to see his reaction Kagome turned her head and smiling brightly at the strange group around them.
 
“Hello I'm Kagome Higurashi.”
 
They stared are her blankly as if she had lost her mind, and she could feel Youko tense behind her, he was surprised at her name, she would have a lot to explain to him but that could wait. Everyone seemed so surprised at her words that the tension had seemingly dropped right out of the room, the hanyou closest to her blink his chocolate brown eyes, and then laughed, loudly. Now it was Kagome's turn to blink and look confused.
 
“I never thought I'd hear someone talk like that to Youko.” The brown eyed boy said after his laughter had quieted.
 
Movement caught Kagome's attention, so that she looked away from the laughing man in front of her to the brown haired pretty human girl behind him, she was trying to smile, but still seemed nervous. As if any moment the deadly tension that had just held the room would spring up from under the floor boards and the deadly killing game would start again. But, Kagome liked her brown eyes, they were lighter then the strange man like butterscotch, they seemed honest and kind. The girl had slid forward a little and she spoke in a quiet but surprisingly calm voice.
 
“Um Excuse me but how do you know Youko, he seemed to think he didn't know you.”
 
Kagome paled; in her mind screaming on how she would explain this, except Youko, they'd never believe that she time traveled between eras. Had been part of a mythical and magical quest to find and complete an ancient cursed jewel, along the way having to fight an evil hanyou bent on destroying the world. However as it seemed to be many times in the past fate was on Kagome's side today as a loud clatter of the sliding doors opening made everyone turn. Someone's running footsteps on the wood floors soon followed then the living room door being drawn back quickly and an out of breath blue hair girl greeted everyone's vision. The girl took a step into the room still panting and leaning over with her hands on her knees, before lifting her head and in between deep breath spoke.
 
“Emergency… Lord Koenma …. Wants you all …. to come right away… a very … very … important shrine maiden ….. Has gone missing?”
 
Her voice drifted off as her eyes that had just started to take in everyone's faces settled on Kagome, her head tilted to the side and her mouth fell open. She blinked several times, but didn't move to speak again. The hanyou lifted an eyebrow then in a growling tone, as if this was somewhat normal behavior for this girl.
 
“Botan! Will you snap out of it this girl is someone Youko seems to know, we'll talk about that later. What is the emergency?”
 
The girl Kagome now knew as Botan, blinked a few more times before turning towards the man, pointing a finger at Kagome she spoke in a shocked and unbelieving tone.
 
“Yusuke, that's the emergency. That is the missing shrine maiden.”
 
She seemed to realize something because she cut herself off and then dropped to the floor in a bow to Kagome, who just blinked and looked shocked and uncomfortable.
 
“Forgive my rudeness, Miko. You are the Shikon no Miko. We didn't know where you were, please did something happen to you?”
 
Youko growled before answering for Kagome.
“Yeah something happened! She'd be dead if I hadn't gotten there in time to save her! Why are you being so formal with her?”
 
Botan blinked before answering Youko but her eyes never left Kagome's face.
 
“A thousand apologizes Shikon no Miko, we were trying to watch over and protect you but got distracted but the escaped demons. And well one of your old comrades is in the spirit world right now, very angry about you being missing. And is threatening to behead Lord Koenma for this whole affair.”
 
“One of my old comrades?” Kagome's eyes widened as her mind grasped who would be in Koenma's office threatening, Youko caught on just a quickly. Kagome felt his laughter before she heard it, like water moving through a hose, the vibration worked its way up from his gut to his lips. As he laughed everyone was looking at him as if he'd grown a second head, had they never heard him laugh.
 
“Wait … wait … let me get this right…. I'm guess but its InuYasha … InuYasha is in Koenma's office threatening him… And we're sitting here missing that….” Youko could barely speak his sentence in between his laughter. Kagome rolled her eyes and looked back at Botan and was about to speak when she was cut off by the one called Yusuke.
 
“Hold on a damn minute! What the hell is going on who is this InuYasha person? For that matter who is this chick, a powerful shrine maiden?”
Kagome grimaced this wasn't going to be fun, explaining a past like hers. She cleared her throat and tried to smile, moving a bit in Youko's lap, as much as he'd allow, he was still holding her close and tight as if afraid someone would try to take her away from him.
 
“Well it's a long, long story. On my fifteenth birthday I went looking for my cat and was pulled down a dry well on my family's shrine by a demon, which is a portal to 500 years in the past. I got away by using my holy powers, which until then I'd never known I had. That demon didn't give up and she came after me while trying to run back to the well, she caught me and pinned me against a tree, also still on my family shrine, but pinned to this tree with an enchanted arrow was the hanyou InuYasha who I woke up, and he saved me. But, not before the demon bit into me and ripped out a very powerful jewel, the Shikon no Tama, shortly after this another demon attacked and stole the jewel while trying to get it back, I kind of shattered it. So InuYasha and I started traveling to collect the pieces along the way we were joined by the demon slayer, a monk, a kitsune kit, and later on Youko. We had to fight an evil Hanyou who after defeating I was sent back home, where I've been waiting to met up with my old friends.”
 
The room was dead silent and looking up Kagome could see the wide eyed looks she was receiving from everyone, well except Youko. Clearing her throat she waited to see who would speak first. It took a few minutes but Yusuke broke the silence his chocolate eyes seem to darken to almost black but Kagome understand what she saw, he was like InuYasha, his eyes darkened when he was thinking.
“So why did these demons want this jewel? And this hanyou InuYasha how is it he's strong enough to threaten Koenma but we've never heard of him before?”
 
Botan answer these questions, not that Kagome could have answered the last part anyway.
 
“The Shikon no Tama is a very powerful artifact it can give any demon nearly unlimited strength, the power to regenerate, along with the ability to grant any wish the holder has. As for InuYasha, his strength is beyond compare, a legendary hanyou and the reason you were so feared when your heritage was discovered. King Enma fears InuYasha and was not going to let you continue to live and become that powerful. Hanyou are incredibly rare, most are killed, but those who survive usually become forces to be reckoned with, something about their having the best of both worlds.”
 
Kagome listened as Botan talked, completely understanding, InuYasha was a force to be feared and from what she had seen in the past most hanyous were, generating barriers, being the size of small buildings, shape shifting. Before continuing that thought Kagome felt Youko shift a tiny amount behind her, had she not been sitting in his lap she'd have never noticed, tilting her head to the side she saw one of his ears tilt to an odd angle. As much as she could tell Youko's mood by his ears the way they looked now was unknown to her as if emotions were mixing; angry, despair, worry, and as much as she wanted to ask him she knows it'd have to wait, he'd never tell her now.
 
Her attention was drawn away from Youko when Botan jumped to her feet, the others looked just as confused by her sudden movement. Her tone and words were hurried and almost seemed to slur together in her rush to get them out.
 
“I have to go. I have to get back to the office and tell everyone were you are Miko-sama they will probably want to come see you themselves, especially your friend InuYasha he's been so worried. I'll try to be back soon, but InuYasha might beat me here, he'll be so happy you're safe.”
 
Smiling happily as if nothing was wrong in the world, she bowed her head to Kagome and then turned quickly and exited the room; her footsteps could be heard as she ran down the corridor. Kagome felt the energy the moment she disappeared probably using a portal. Smiling a little to herself she had to admit she was excited to see InuYasha again half a year had passed since her time in the past had ended. Youko's arm around her waist broke her from her thoughts as his arm tightened, as if preparing for someone to try and rip her away. Turning she smile at him, but his serious eyes gave her pause.
 
“Kagome… what happened back then? I thought you had died, Shippo told me that you were gone.”
 
Blinking, Kagome could almost cry at the sound of her kit's name, how she missed him. A million memories flashed through her mind, Shippo laughing, playing, drawing, fighting, acting brave, curled up next to her sleeping, waking crying from nightmares, being taught by Youko, playing tricks of InuYasha. Oh how she missed him, it was almost a psyical pain in her heart. Facing Youko her tone was sad.
 
“He knew about my time traveling but once the jewel was complete I was sent back. I disappeared from that world so I didn't even get the chance to say goodbye. They might have thought either I was dead or back here which to them might have seemed the same. The well sealed so I couldn't get to them anymore.”
 
Sighing she had to resist the urge to rest her head against Youko's chest, she wasn't sure he'd allow her to do that. However Youko took the choice from her pulling her head to rest on his chest his chin resting on top of her head as he sniffed, he understood. Kagome smiled, yes, he understood all too well the feeling of lose and the worry that if you'd done one thing different the outcome would have changed maybe for the better.
Clearing his throat Yusuke looked about to say something when Kagome feel something, the brush of an energy so familiar it was almost like a part of herself, given a million years separated she'd still know that energy even in her sleep. Jerking away from Youko's chest which given the thump of his tail and the way his ears turned he didn't like in the least. She twisted her body and head towards the door as it slammed open the other all jumped they hadn't heard or felt him. But now Kagome blinked, had she been wrong, maybe she had been away to long because what she'd thought and who stood before her didn't match.
 
“Wench! What are you doing here? Don't you know you should be at the Shrine not cuddling with that stupid Fox?”
 
InuYasha in all his glory stood in the door, red fire rat fur kimono, and sword at his side, silver hair just as long and swaying behind him like a regal mane. His dog ears twitching none stop on top of his head as if he was standing in loud downtown Tokyo with too many sounds not in a temple in the middle of nowhere. He scowled at Youko, but his eyes became gentle when on her. Botan had been right he'd been worried about her. When his mouth opened his tone was the rich resounding tone, Kagome would know anywhere but his words and manners were just as barbaric as before.
 
“Stupid perverted fox, I thought I told you to keep away from Kagome! She doesn't need to have some pretty boy, sex fiend hanging all over her. And I already told you anyway, you want to get laid go sniff up a different tree.”
 
Kagome closed her eyes when she heard InuYasha start into Youko she knew what was coming. But still, her senses pulled at her like a spoiled child yelling at her for her attention, but they had to be wrong this one time. Breaking from her thoughts, Youko's loud growl ripped through the room, she was gently placed on the floor and Youko was up and moving towards InuYasha just like old times. Tail swishing behind him agitatedly ears bends back in battle pose, claws looking even sharper than before.
 
The two of them glared at each other as them moved to battle ready positions, they were going to fight. This cause Kagome to blink, something was off, they argued with each other Youko would pull a prank and InuYasha might get out his sword but never had they actually fought each other, something was very wrong this time. Blinking Kagome was about to say the command that would send InuYasha falling when she realized he had yet to draw his sword, InuYasha always used his sword first and asked questions later. Looking around the others were standing but look unsure if they should get involved, most looked shocked and horrified as if all hell was about to break lose.
 
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
 
Meanwhile Shuichi was trying to calm Youko down as much as possible without taking over; he didn't want to shock Kagome. He'd figured on Youko getting her alone, explaining things and then them meeting politely.
 
`Youko … Youko Calm down … I thought this was one of your friends… you can't kill a friend.'
 
`Hell I can't! Did you hear what he said? Besides we are making it clear right here and now, Kagome is OURS! No one is taking her away, not even this dumb dog…'
 
`Youko from the moment he walked in you wanted to hurt him, before he even opened his mouth, were things always like this with you two?'
 
`No but my instincts are bugging me, something seems off about him.'
 
`Well it has been 500 years he could have grown in power or looks or whatever in all that time.'
 
`That's just it he hasn't, not one thing has changed and I know in the short time I knew him his power just kept jumping and growing, why would that have stopped?'
 
`So what do you think is going on then?'
 
`I don't know but he is not getting near Kagome! We have to protect her!'
 
`I know that and I agree but first we have to figure out what the hell is going on.'
 
Youko continued to growl at InuYasha, blocking his view of Kagome and trying to back him out the door, his plan get him out of the temple and into the yard. He could fight there, and beat on him to his hearts content.
 
`Yes I like that idea. We'll teach him to mind that mouth of his.'
 
`Youko….'
 
Shuichi sighed as Youko planed punch for punch the impending fight, all with grim and in Shuichi's opinion far too much happiness.
 
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
 
Kagome tried to get to her feet only to fall short her legs were still healing and weak there was no way she could stand. But as much as something told her to stay away to stay out of this for just this once, she couldn't stand watching them fight. Grimacing at the pain in her legs, they throbbed now that she'd slipped and landed on the floor, she figured on trying the weak approach. She whimpered, and in a small soft tone called out to the men.
 
“Youko… InuYasha ... Please don't fight …”
 
Her whimper had the desired effect both stopped and straighten, Youko turned and she could almost see his mind working. As much as he wanted to fight he wanted to hold her again, and that seemed to be exactly what was on his mind as he started to move towards her. But a red blur of motion was faster, and she was up in the air in strong arms before anyone could blink and InuYasha smiled down at her.
 
Her body tensed, ever sense was screaming, danger, and even if he had held her like this a million times something was off. This time was different, and it wasn't that she didn't feel safe she did but something just seemed horribly wrong. Looking at InuYasha up close now, she was trying to figure out what was wrong, what felt so off, why was her senses and her mind disagreeing so badly.
 
Looking around the room she saw Yusuke look uncomfortable and had a hand rose like he was about to tell InuYasha to put her down. Youko's mouth was open and the words she knew where about to come were going to be the same. But like a magnet her eyes keep going back to InuYasha something was wrong and if she could just place it in time. Time? The thought that she was being hurried or that time was running out why would that feeling come. Then like a bolt of lightning it hit her, and she saw what her senses had been trying to point out, the rosary beads.
 
“InuYasha where are your rosary beads?”
 
She spoke before she could stop herself, and the room froze it place. Youko's eyes widened before his growling rumbled through the room, with a ferocity that would send all manner of man and beast running for their lives. Calmly turning his head, as if he didn't hear Youko at all, this InuYasha looked down at her, then sighed and spoke in a voice that while being slightly familiar was unknown to her.
 
“Awww you just had to notice the beads… But then if things had kept going the way they were it would have been no fun at all.”
 
He smiled down at her in a very un-InuYasha like smile. Kagome's eyes widened. Youko leapt at this fake InuYasha claws long and flash deadly in the light, ears back completely against his head, teeth bared. The fake's eyes just shifted a little to look at him and smirked. No sound at all came as warning, just the surge of energy and the floor boards either falling down or lifting away, and plant of monstrous size jutted up through the floor and wrapped everyone except the fake and herself, they were lifted away through the now ruined ceiling and then they were bounding away moving like the wind itself. Yusuke's cussing, the girls screams, Genkai's energy attack, Kuwabara's cry for help, Youko's roar of utter anger and Kagome's scream growing soft as the distance between them grows. These sounds filled the falling dusk, and beautiful blossoms from the plant used against the group flowered and fell.