Crossover Fan Fiction / InuYasha Fan Fiction ❯ The Journey to the City of Endless Night ❯ Chapter Three ( Chapter 3 )

[ X - Adult: No readers under 18. Contains Graphic Adult Themes/Extreme violence. ]

Chapter Three
 
After Polgara placed Rin in the room she had made for her, the two demon brothers sat downstairs with the odd people they found themselves amongst. Inuyasha sat near Kagome while Sesshomaru sat near the steps to the upstairs. On Inuyasha's other side sat the tiny red-haired girl.

She petted his hair, bemoaning, “I wish I could have hair that shade without looking old. It's so pretty.” Her mate sat watching, a forlorn look on his face. Inuyasha flattened his ears tightly to his head, a low growl beginning in his throat.

Polgara said, “Ce'Nedra, dear, perhaps you should leave him alone.”

Ce'Nedra stuck her bottom lip out, pouting. She stood, crossing to where her mate stood. “But it's so pretty, Lady Polgara!”

Something made a loud crashing sound outside and Inuyasha gripped Tetsusaiga tightly. He nodded to his brother who guarded the stair well. But, before anyone could move, the quiet blond mate of the chattering girl flew out the door, his enormous sword drawn. As soon as he had exited, his sword did something remarkable. It burst into a tongue of blue flame.

A voice remarked nervously, “Garion, I thought you were over flailing that thing around like a maniac. I'm too old for you to scare me like that.” The man peeked around the door-frame. “I haven't tripped that badly and made such a crash like that since I was in the Academy. I must be losing my touch.” He looked down and saw Jaken standing there. “What do we have here? This is what I tripped on.”

Jaken puffed himself up, his staff held in front of him. “Human! What do you want here?”

Inuyasha stared in wonder as Garion lowered the sword. The fire went out almost unwillingly. Garion sheepishly replied, “Old habits die hard, Silk.” He looked over at Jaken as well. “He's a friend of ours. He means us no harm. Silk probably didn't see you standing there because he didn't expect it.”

Sesshomaru said loud enough for Jaken to hear, “Jaken, leave the man alone.”

“But Sesshomaru-sama! You told me to let you know if anything came!” He trembled slightly.

“Jaken, I ordered you to warn me of an attack. Nothing more. Now go keep watch and let the man through the door.”

Silk glared at Jaken then Garion. He looked over the room, his eyes passing over each person. “Polgara, do you have anything left on the fire?”

“Sure, Kheldar.”

The little rat faced man entered. “Well, how rude. I come in and I'm not even introduced to your guests.” Inuyasha noticed the sharp intelligence the man's dark eyes held. They also held deviousness.

“Silk, that is Inuyasha, Kagome, and Sesshomaru.” Polgara replied. “The strange toad is Sesshomaru's servant.”

“Where you folks from? I don't like it when I can't identify a nationality.” He gratefully accepted a bowl. “Oh, Belgarath, something odd was reported awhile ago. We'll want to discuss later.”

Belgarath nodded. “Our guests aren't ordinary as you can see by the looks of that servant. We're not quite sure how they got here, either.” Belgarath turned towards Sesshomaru. “What is he, anyway?”

Sesshomaru sighed. “Jaken is a full blood of a lower class. Pay him no heed.”

Polgara sat down at the table. “So, Silk, what business are we into today?”

“Oh, you know, the same old, same old. Spying, lying, the like.”

“And, how is dear Liselle? She obviously hasn't killed you yet.”

“Miserable. She's stuck with a two year old boy at home.”

“Ah. How I know that feeling.” She arched an eyebrow. “You didn't bring them with you, did you?”

“No. Velvet said she couldn't handle traveling with him.” He pushed aside his bowl.

“Silk, how is Porenn?”

“She's fine. Kheva's only becoming a better king. Boy, am I ever glad I'm not in danger of being saddled with that.” His nose began twitching. “The thought of it makes me shiver in fear. Me, a king.” He shuddered.

Inuyasha hadn't decided if he liked this new person. Obviously his brother didn't from the look on his face and more noticeably the hand on Tokijin. He slowly crept his way to him. “Sesshomaru, I wouldn't. You saw that blond one's blade.”

Sesshomaru glared. “Too many humans in one small place.”

Inuyasha nodded. “Why don't you go see the pup? She might wake and wonder where you are.”

Sesshomaru nodded. He went up the stairs, leaving the rest to their discussion of the outside world beyond the Vale. Inuyasha put a finger to his lips to keep Kagome from asking. If no one noticed Sesshomaru was gone, the better.



Sesshomaru quietly opened the door on the room Rin rested in. She looked so tiny and frail and her humanity never became so apparent as now. Yet, unlike the rest of their kind, her illness didn't make him think of her as weak. His Rin was strong and willful.

The little girl stretched, yawning while she slept. A small brown eye opened. “Sesshomaru-sama?”

He knelt onto the floor next to the bed. “Rin.”

“Where are we?” She seemed to have recovered somewhat from her earlier illness.

“The Vale of Aldur.” He gently picked her up, sitting back into the bed, Rin resting on his lap.

“What's that?” Rin asked, sleepily snuggling up onto his chest.

“Not quite sure.”

“Oh. Well, wherever we are is good enough as long as it's with you.” She closed her eyes, placing her head onto his chest, and fell back to sleep.

Sesshomaru's clawed hand smoothed her hair, wrapping his arm around her tiny figure. He smiled slightly at her comment. “No. I suppose it doesn't matter where we are to you.”


“Inuyasha, why are you being so nice to your brother?” Kagome asked from her perch on the bed in the room they shared.

Inuyasha looked over his shoulder towards her from his spot on the floor. “He's got a sick pup. I'm not going to do anything that might make her worse.” He scuffed the floor with his foot. “Besides, we don't know exactly where we are.”

Kagome slid down off the bed to join him on the floor. She placed a hand onto his shoulder. “I'm proud of you. You didn't fight with him or get angry.”

Inuyasha looked into her chocolate brown eyes. “What was I supposed to do? Tear that pup away from the only father she's ever known? I may not like my brother but I'm not cruel.” He looked down at the floor. “Besides, I told him if it wasn't for you or that pup I'd shove Tetsusaiga up his ass.”

Kagome rolled her eyes. “Inuyasha, why did you say that to him? And why didn't you two tear the whole house apart.” She looked out the window. “I wonder what Sango, Miroku, and Shippo are doing right now. I hope they're alright.”

“Feh. He laughed at me cause that red-haired girl tugged on my ears.” He crossed his arms. “I'm sure that Miroku is feeling up Sango's ass, she's slapping him for it, and Shippo is wondering where we are. I'm sure they're fine.” He looked out the window as well. “I wish I knew where the fuck we are.”

Kagome stiffened suddenly. “Oh no! My exams! I was supposed to go home today!” She crumpled onto the floor, sighing. “I have to get back! Mom and Grandpa will worry!”

Inuyasha snorted. “I wouldn't worry too much about it, Kagome. By the time we figure out how to get to the well and get you home it'll probably be too late.”

“Inuyasha! You know how important those exams are! I have to take them or I'll never make it through high school.” She sat down onto the bed, her backpack next to her, half opened. “What am I going to do? We don't know how to get back or where we are.”

Inuyasha tensed up as he smelt the onset of her tears. “Oi. Don't cry, Kagome.” He sat down on the bed next to her. He attempted to make her feel better, although it didn't help at all. “Besides, maybe we'll find more shards if you don't have to worry about exams.”

“I'm not crying, you baka, and I'm not just a shard detector. Inuyasha! Sit!”

He felt the beads around his neck pull and he slammed into the floor. “Damn it, what did you do that for?” He let his ears droop, knowing he had screwed up. “I didn't mean it like that!”

Kagome turned her back on him, slipping her backpack onto the floor next to him. She lay down onto to the bed, facing towards the wall. Kagome pulled the blankets up and around herself. Apparently instead of continuing the argument, she'd give him the silent treatment.

Inuyasha pushed himself up from where he had landed after being sat. He sighed. “Kagome, I really didn't mean it like that. Honest.” He stood up, sitting down onto the bed. He was greeted with silence. Inuyasha got up, heading to the other side of the room to sleep on the floor. He looked over at Kagome's back, her hair flowing down onto the pillow behind her. He turned around, facing the wall attempting to go to sleep.”Feh, fine, be that way.”

To his surprise, he felt something behind him and Kagome's breath in his ear. “Inuyasha, I'm sorry I sat you like that.” He turned to face her. “I know you didn't mean that I was just a shard detector. I just wish I knew where we are and how we can get back home. Not the present, home home. With you.”

Inuyasha looked down at the floor. “I know you want to go back home to your time and that school thing. It's important to you.”

She sighed. “It is important, but so are the shards.” She snuck under his arm, pulling it around herself. “Inuyasha, what do you think will happen tomorrow? Will we wake up and be back at Kaede's?”

“I don't know. I wish I could tell you.”


The next morning Inuyasha awoke to the smells of breakfast being prepared. He smelled bacon, eggs, and pastries. Kagome slept next to him on the floor in the room Polgara had given them. He eased Kagome from his arms and stood, brushing off his clothes.

When he entered the main room, he noticed that the blond and Polgara's mate sat at the table, quietly talking. Polgara stood by the fire, cooking breakfast. He sat down, waiting for breakfast to be finished.

The blond quietly asked, “How did you sleep?”

“Fine.” Inuyasha studied the man's face for a moment. “That blade, what is it?”

“Oh, you mean my sword.” He pointed to the pommel behind him. “A family heirloom of sorts, I guess I'll say.”

Inuyasha nodded. A cup of tea was placed before him, along with a knife and fork. A plate of eggs was also set down. He looked for chopsticks. “How the hell do I eat this with these?”

Polgara's eyebrows arched. “Well, use that.” She pointed towards the odd pronged utensil.

Inuyasha picked it up in his hand, failing miserably. “No chopsticks?” Then he remembered the pair in his pocket. He pulled them out, stunning everyone at the table.

Polgara's mate asked, “Is that practical?”

Inuyasha nodded. He easily ate one egg with them. They watched, amazement on their faces.

Before anyone could ask any more questions, Sesshomaru entered, carrying a coughing Rin. His eyes held rage. “Woman, she is not better.”

“She has only had one day of rest. Let me prepare a tonic and some breakfast for her.” Polgara placed a hand on the child. “The fever has passed entirely. She only has a cold now. A few days rest and good food will cure her of it.”

Inuyasha watched as his brother sat down with the sick child. Rin had her arms wrapped around his brother's neck, her cheek resting on his shoulder. She watched the room with tired, bleary eyes. Rin croaked, “Sesshomaru-sama, my throat. It hurts.”

His brother's eyes softened towards the child, then looked towards Polgara. They were revealing his inner emotions that his facial expression did not. Polgara handed the Demon Lord a cup of tea. “Here. This should help her throat.”

Sesshomaru gratefully took it, helping Rin drink from it. Inuyasha knew that his brother had worried himself over the child's health during the night. He finished his breakfast, pushing his plate aside.

The rat faced man entered, stretching. He yawned. “Please say there is more than gruel.”

Polgara set a plate in front of him. “Yes, there is.”

Inuyasha was going to study this man, until he felt hands cover his eyes. “Guess who,” Kagome's voice said.

“Kagome,” Inuyasha whined.

She smiled, sitting down next to him. “I woke up and found you gone.” She looked over at Sesshomaru and Rin. “He looks awful. Poor thing needs to get better for his sanity.”

Inuyasha agreed. His brother, while not needing sleep as often as others, did need it at some point. He suspected Sesshomaru hadn't slept in a week.

Sesshomaru also looked at the odd pronged contraption, attempting to figure out how to feed Rin with it. His brow crinkled in concentration until he grew too frustrated, slamming it down onto the table. “How do I feed her with such odd utensils?”

Kagome pulled a spare set of chopsticks. “Here. They're usually Shippo's, but it'll help.”

Sesshomaru nodded gratefully. He took them form her, feeding Rin slowly. Inuyasha knew he didn't enjoy human food but he wondered how he didn't succumb to the wonderful smells that Polgara had cooked. Rin yawned after her plate was half-empty and she snuggled into Sesshomaru's chest, falling back to sleep. He looked dumbfounded about what to do with the rest of the food.

The flighty red haired girl entered, sitting down. She kissed her mate before setting out to devour her own breakfast. “Garion, do you think your grandfather has had enough babysitting Geran?”

“Nah. Knowing Grandfather as I do, he's probably thoroughly enjoying his time to corrupt him since Aunt Pol isn't there to keep those two out of mischief. I know all about that.”

Polgara glared, clearing Inuyasha's plate. “Oh, really. I would have never guessed. Your grandfather thinks he's overly clever sometimes.”

Ce'Nedra giggled. “One for her side.”

Garion sighed. “If you're going to start that I'm going to go help Durnik with the horses.”

“Before you go, dear, Silk said he had a letter from Zakath. He said he wanted to visit Riva soon. How long do you intend to stay in the Vale?”

“Oh, we just got here a few days ago, Aunt Pol. Although, being Overlord of the West does call my attention, I suppose. Ce'Nedra said we had to come and visit so we did.” Garion finished his plate. “Silk, give me that letter after I've been in the stables.”

Silk nodded, while sipping some early morning wine. “Will do.”

Inuyasha wondered what all those titles meant. His assumption that they were peasants proved to be false. And, how did this young man acquire the title of Overlord of the West when his possessive brother was Lord of the Western Lands? His brother only sat rocking the child so he must not have been following the conversation.

Silk pushed his plate aside. “Oh, your Majesty.” He addressed the blond one's mate, “Zakath also sends greetings. I thought you might like your letter from him.”

Ce'Nedra squealed in delight, clapping her hands. This Sesshomaru noticed, emitting a low growl. Inuyasha muttered, “Here we go again.”



Sesshomaru felt his eyes redden as rage overtook him. He would have surely killed the woman if it hadn't been for Rin. She reached up, touched his lips with her small fingers, and shook her head. Then she curled up closer to him, falling back to sleep. He choose to instead glare at the woman, hoping that this would punish her.

Polgara placed a hand on his. “She's a little excitable. She's a Dryad. They're all a little flighty.” Sesshomaru nodded. He didn't care what a Dryad was. His only concern was that she become quiet so that Rin could sleep peacefully. “Perhaps you should take the girl outside. She'll need fresh air to help recover. It's a beautiful day out.”

He nodded, exiting with Rin clutched tightly to him. Sesshomaru looked around the lush, green valley, the enormous tree on the horizon, and the towers dotting the frontier. Rin also looked and his golden eyes connected with her brown. She, then too, looked around her surroundings, smiling for the first time in days.

“Sesshomaru-sama, this place is pretty. Look at all the flowers.”

Sesshomaru smiled slightly. He walked towards the great tree and leapt easily into the branches. From there he could see the layout of the land. Birds flew around, chattering, which in turn caused Rin to giggle. He leaned back, enjoying the scent of grass and tree and the sound of Rin's light laughter.

A voice interrupted the soothing sounds. “So, you're the big, bad Demon Lord.” A dirty and hideous dwarf stood underneath the tree.

Sesshomaru regarded him with cool, golden eyes. He smelt the unwashed body, feeling as if he would retch. “I am.”

“You must be the prettiest I've ever seen.” He scratched an arm pit.

“I do not concern myself with the opinions of humans.”

“Arrogant, I adjust.”

“Why are you here?”

“I live here.”

“I can see that.” He adjusted Rin on his lap. “Why are you by this tree?”

“Because this tree and I have known one another for a very long time and sometimes we like to renew that relationship.”

Sesshomaru looked away, trying to escape the stench. He looked down at Rin sprawled over his lap and chest. “I was told you can fly by turning yourself into a bird.”

“What is it to you, pretty boy?”

Sesshomaru looked towards him. “Is it not simply a question?”

“And I only asked you who you were.” The man leapt into a lower branch, sitting down. “You don't want the opinion of humans, but you guard that little girl with all you have. Why?”

“It is of no concern of yours.” He looked up to the sky, indicating he was finished with the conversation.

“I only came to warn you that later today our Master will be visiting to learn more about you. The twins told me. I figured since I saw you sitting in this tree you should know.” The misshapen dwarf looked up, scratching himself.

Sesshomaru nodded, inwardly troubled by the meeting. Before he could respond, the dwarf transformed into the form of a blue-banded hawk and flew away. Rin gasped. “He turned into a bird!” Sesshomaru held Rin closer. Hopefully he'd have time to prepare for this meeting with these strange people's master.



The door on Polgara's cottage flew open and a hunched back man entered. “Polgara! Food! Get off your fat bottom and make something.” He sat down and Inuyasha automatically covered his nose with the sleeves of his haori. “Oh, Pol, Aldur's coming to pay us a visit. He wants to meet our demon friends.”

Inuyasha lowered his sleeves, amazed. Didn't the old man say that this Aldur was a God? He wasn't sure how he'd handle this meeting with their God, especially if it turned out it was a demon with a jewel shard. He looked towards Kagome and she shook her head no, indicating she understood his concern.

“Uncle, don't be so rude.” She placed a plate of food in front of him. “I hope our Master will clear things up.”

“You mean about Pretty Boy Demon Lord and Dog Eared Boy?” Beldin shoved a handful of eggs into his mouth. “Yeah, that'd be nice.”

Inuyasha almost gagged on the names. “Did you call my brother that?”

“Was that him in the tree? Yeah, I told him he was a pretty boy.”

Inuyasha snorted, trying not to laugh or gag at the same time. “Sesshomaru probably didn't like that.”

“Boy, I'm 6,000 years old. I don't care what young, haughty people think.” Beldin wiped his mouth with the back of his hand. He belched. “Pol, that meal could have been a little better.”

Polgara rolled her eyes. “Uncle, next time why don't you cook it yourself.”

Inuyasha blinked. “Well, he must not have gotten too angry. He didn't attack.”

“He was sitting with that child. I've never seen a Demon Lord love a small child like that.” He washed down breakfast with some ale he had hidden in his tunic.

Inuyasha nodded. “So, what's this master of yours like?”

“He's patient. He probably has some reason for your being here.” Polgara said, clearing Beldin's dishes.

Kagome said, “Lady Polgara, I sure hope so. We're trying to get back to our friends.”

“Hopefully he will have something for you to fix this. I'm sure he'll say something useful.” Polgara said. She wrinkled her nose. “Uncle, you really ought to at least attempt a bath.”

“Why? The Master doesn't care.” He belched loudly, scratching himself. “Besides, I'll only get dirty again so why waste time getting clean?”

Polgara rolled her eyes. “You're hopeless.”

“That little spy around here anywhere?”

“He went to the Old Wolf's tower last I heard.”

“Ah. I think I'll go down there.” He flexed his fingers as if they were talons.

“Uncle, don't fly in my house.”