Crossover Fan Fiction / InuYasha Fan Fiction ❯ The Journey to the City of Endless Night ❯ Chapter Four ( Chapter 4 )

[ X - Adult: No readers under 18. Contains Graphic Adult Themes/Extreme violence. ]

Chapter Four
 
Sesshomaru sat on a lower branch of the tree with Rin in his lap. He waited for these people's Master, his impatience not showing save for a slight tap of his fingers on Rin's back. Inuyasha sat not far away under the branches, Kagome having spread the picnic blanket out. Inuyasha fidgeted in his seat, until Kagome glared at him. He then crossed his arms, sat down cross legged, and stuck his lower lip out in a full pout. Sesshomaru rolled his eyes slightly at his brother's expression. All four were silent save for Rin's quiet snores.

A calm descended upon the valley and Sesshomaru saw the woman, her father and the blond man with the sword approach. Behind them followed a man with a long, flowing blue robe and white hair. For the first time in his life, Sesshomaru felt inferior to another being. He realized that this being was neither human nor demon but a deity. The wise, ancient features bore into his own soul and he felt at ease and terrified all at once. A smile played across the ancient man's face. “Be calm, my son.”

Sesshomaru saw Inuyasha's eyes go wide and mouth hang slightly open in shock from the corner of his eye He turned to the ancient man, nodding slowly.

“Let me see the little girl.” He reached a hand towards Rin.

Sesshomaru lifted her up, letting him look at her. He knew he should have been defensive and over protective, but he couldn't resist. He did, however, watch the young girl while being in the hands of the ancient man. The man placed a hand on Rin's forehead. He nodded towards Sesshomaru, “The young one will recover soon. In fact, she should feel better starting now.” The old man looked into Rin's eyes. “You will be just fine, my child.” He gently gave Rin back.

Sesshomaru gratefully accepted Rin back into his lap. She smiled gently at him, wrapping her arms around his neck, her face buried in the crook of his neck. He looked back into the old man's face, nodding his thanks.

The old man looked from Sesshomaru to Inuyasha and back again. He then looked towards Inuyasha's miko and a smile played across his lips. He reached a hand out, placing it onto Kagome's chin. “This child, so pure of heart.” Kagome blushed as the old man turned back towards Sesshomaru. “And you, you act one way but feel another.” Then, turning to his half brother, he said, “You are not all unlike your brother and your brother is not all unlike you.” He paused, turning towards his disciples. “These two demons are unlike all other demons. Do not fear them.”

Belgarath asked, “So, then they are demon and half-demon, Master?”

“Yea, my son. Though they are different from the demons that are most conjured upon this earth. They may be demon but they have very strong hearts.” He turned back towards the brothers. “What type are you? I can discern your true self but not your types.”

Sesshomaru gracefully jumped down to the ground, Rin cradled against his chest. “We are dog demon.”

“Ah. This is why both of you are so loyal to these two girls.” He looked around at the old tree then back at them. “You must have some part in the Prophecy that has not yet been revealed.”

“Prophecy?” Inuyasha asked, his head cocked to one side.

“Yes. We serve a Prophecy that has yet to be entirely fulfilled. I thought with the death of my brother we would have solved this.” Aldur sighed. “Yet there is something that remains to be done.”

“Your brother? Is he not also a God? Aren't your kind to be immortal and invincible?” Sesshomaru asked, confused himself.

“Yes, except my brother was a grave mistake. He had to be killed.” Aldur's voice held an unfathomable sorrow.

This Aldur was a God and that someone could have killed his brother, also a God, goaded Sesshomaru's curiosity further. He interrupted, asking, “Just who has the strength and ability to kill a God?”

The young, unassuming blond stepped forward. “I do.”

He eyed the man remembering the blade of blue fire. “A mortal?”

Aldur nodded. “Yes. A mortal. Belgarion, my son, however is not mortal like you think. He was born to be the Godslayer Prophecy spoke of thousands of years before his own birth. My brother knew this as well and tried to prevent his coming but it was not to be.”

Sesshomaru looked into the crystal blue eyes of the Godslayer. Before the young man had seemed so utterly ordinary and harmless. He had been dismissive and a low peasant who had not only turned out to be a king but also a Godslayer. The power the young man emanated off in waves became apparent as Sesshomaru noticed it and again he felt anxious, although he didn't outwardly express it. Then he looked into Aldur's ancient visage and it was replaced with peace. “You see, there must be a reason why you have come to our Vale.”

“I came for the child's welfare.”

“Yes. The one bound to you.” He reached a hand out, brushing bangs from Rin's face. “The one you protect without hesitation although your profess to loathe her kind.” He withdrew his hand. “Your soul calls to her and hers calls to you. She, too, is not ordinary.”

Sesshomaru looked into Rin's chocolate eyes. She seemed no different than always, except she had always been able to calm him. He looked back into the God's face, unsure of how to answer.

“Master,” Polgara asked. “He is a Demon Lord.” She pointed to Sesshomaru then to Inuyasha. “And he is a half-demon. Why do they not act like all the others?”

“They were not summoned from Hell. And the half-demon does not act like one who was born on this earth to be only a monster. Perhaps it is the effect of this pure child at his side.” He lifted Kagome's face towards him. “They, too, are soul bound.”

Kagome blushed and as soon as Aldur released her chin, both Inuyasha and Kagome looked at one another, turning away quickly to cover the embarrassment now coloring their cheeks. Inuyasha had crossed his arms, his ears at full alert while Kagome glanced over her shoulder slightly to see him. Sesshomaru shook his head, turning back towards the God and his disciples. What problems Inuyasha and his miko had were theirs alone to fix.

“What part do they play in the Prophecy?” Polgara asked, a slight smile on her face as she watched the two and their attempt to hide their feelings from one another.

“That I do not know. Perhaps a Codex passage will reveal their purpose.” Aldur remarked thoughtfully.

“What shall we do for now, Master?” Belgarath asked.

“House them and learn from them.” Aldur laid his hand first on Belgarath then on Polgara. “Be well my son and daughter.” He then walked away towards the meadow and disappeared. Sesshomaru let the breath he had held unconsciously go.

“Oi!” Inuyasha breathed, glancing over his shoulder at Sesshomaru and Kagome. “That doesn't happen every day.”



Later that night, in the comforts of Polgara's cottage, Inuyasha sat with Kagome watching his brother. Sesshomaru seemed anxious and uncertain, something Inuyasha also felt after meeting with the God. Sesshomaru's golden eyes locked onto his own and Inuyasha looked away, down at Kagome. He glanced back up towards the blond man, the Godslayer. The blade of blue fire sat against the wall, a few feet away from him.

His brother sat holding Rin, who at the late hour lay sleeping in his lap. So Rin was Sesshomaru's soul mate and Kagome his. Inuyasha felt a slight blush as he glanced back down at Kagome and he shook his head, clearing it. How had the God known this but not what kind of demons they were? Were demons truly so different here?

Inuyasha felt something brush his shoulder. Kagome rested against him and he placed an arm around her shoulders. He glanced back over to the blade of blue fire and before he could stop himself, he asked, “Who forged that blade?”

The Godslayer said, “It was forged with two stars sent by the God Belar and the Orb of Aldur rests upon its pommel. It is the sword of the Rivan King.”

“The Rivan King?”

“Yes. It's another of my titles.” He rolled his eyes. “I swear, those titles weigh more than that sword does. If it were up to me I'd lose half of them.” He let a small smile cross his serious features.

“God? Belar? Just how many Gods are there?”

“Eight. Well, now seven I suppose. Aldur, Chaldan, Nedra, Issa, Mara, Belar and Torak. Then there is their father UL. Torak is the one I had to defeat.” His blue eyes held remorse.

Inuyasha let the subject drop, turning his attentions back to his brother. Rin slept peacefully in Sesshomaru's lap and for the first time they had arrived to this strange place his brother's cool amber eyes held peace. In fact, it was the first time Inuyasha had ever seen that expression in his brother's eyes as long as he had known him. His thoughts were interrupted by the young man's voice, “What type of sword do you have? It looks odd.”

Inuyasha looked down at Tetsusaiga. He looked back at him. “It's a sword forged from the fang of my father.”

“A fang?”

“Yes.” He wasn't sure how much he should speak about his sword in front of his brother. Although they had called a truce, he was not sure how much he should reveal in case things turned sour afterwards. Rin called his eyes back to his brother as she yawned and snuggled into his shoulder. Sesshomaru had a slight smile, then rested his chin onto Rin's hair.

Inuyasha looked down, noticing Kagome's eyes droop as she neared sleep. She snuggled into his shoulder, yawning.

He looked back up, his eyes connecting with his brother's. He nodded his acknowledgment. Sesshomaru gently stood up, carrying the small child up the stairs. A few moments later he returned downstairs, sitting not far from Inuyasha.

“How is she?”

“Sleeping peacefully. Her cough and fever have disappeared.” Sesshomaru's quiet voice replied. “How is the miko?”

“Kagome? Asleep, I think.”

His brother laughed softly. “You think. Do you not know?”

“Sometimes I think she is and then she admonishes me for something and I'm taken by surprise. I think meeting this God wore her out.”

Sesshomaru looked around before looking to the blade of blue fire. “That blade, it is formidable. Just looking at it reveals so.”

Inuyasha nodded.

“Little brother, why did you refrain from telling the Godslayer about Tetsusaiga?” His voice remained quiet and detached.

“I, I don't know.” Inuyasha felt shamed for not telling the truth about his own sword. Before he could continue, his brother spoke.

“I no longer want your Tetsusaiga. It has no power that I want. It was meant for you for a reason.” His voice remained calm. “Though, it is not as if I do not wish I had a sword that could do some of the things as yours does.”

Inuyasha drooped his ears, then glared at his brother. “What the hell? We've fought over my sword for so long and now you don't want it? Did you catch that cold from the pup?”

Sesshomaru's lips drew into a tight line. “I suggest you alter your tone, half-breed.” He looked at a point above Inuyasha's head before locking his gaze back onto Inuyasha's. “I do not wish for your sword because I realize that it was meant to seal in your demon blood. I have not wanted your sword since I realized this about it.”

“Oh, so now you think it's not worthy of you, I see. It keeps me, a half-breed, where I belong.” He glared at Sesshomaru. “You're lucky Kagome's here or I'd show you just what my Tetsusaiga can really do.”

Before they could degenerate into an all out fight, the Godslayer's mate begged of the old man, “Belgarath, will you tell a story for our visitors?”

Belgarath stood, finishing off his ale tankard. “Ce'Nedra, which story?”

“The story of the beginning and the War of the Gods.”

“Ah, that one.” Belgarath stood full height, his tattered cloak drawn about his shoulders. “In the beginning, the seven Gods joined their hands and Wills, commanding this world to be. And so it was. They created the seasons, the sky, the ground, and the ocean. They created beast, bird, and flowers of such variety. And most of all, they created man.” Belgarath drank from the new tankard Polgara had provided him. “To each God, except for Aldur, a people were chosen. Belar chose the Alorns, Nedra the Tolnedrans, Issa those of Nyissa, Mara of the Marags who were believed to be no more, Chaldan of the Arends, and Torak of the Angaraks.” His voice lowered on the last.

Inuyasha and Sesshomaru turned to listen, the retort Sesshomaru had ready for his brother remaining on his lips. Perhaps the tale would help them understand just where they were. Their fight had been forgotten as soon as the tale had began. Belgarath then shifted his tale, “Then, after much peace in the world, Torak, the fairest of them all, smote his eldest brother Aldur, stealing the stone that Aldur had breathed life into. He fled with all the armies of the peoples of the other Gods pursuing until he could flee no more. There, he lifted the stone, commanding it to crack asunder the world beneath his feet.” His voice rumbled. “In payment, Torak's beautiful face was marred on the left side, his eye to burn for eternity and the left hand which had held the stone melted away, to be nothing but ash. The world heaved and the water came in, drowning a mass of people on that day that the world was cracked.” Belgarath drank again. “But, lo, it would be two thousand years before the Orb of Aldur would be reclaimed and returned. The Alorn king Cherek Bear Shoulders and his sons went unto the Vale of Aldur, hoping to coax Belgarath to cross the frozen ocean to recapture what had been stolen. But, Belgarath's wife had been with child and was reluctant to leave them.”



The next morning, Kagome, Inuyasha, Sesshomaru and Rin sat around the breakfast table. As much as he claimed not to need or want human food, Sesshomaru's stomach rumbled. And, Polgara's kitchen had inviting smells. He willingly accepted for the first time since their arrival a plate of eggs, bacon and a cherry turnover that he was unsure of how to eat. He also accepted some tea. He, of course, tried to hide that this enormous plate of food was for Rin, but soon succumbed to the inviting smell.

Polgara cracked an eyebrow. “Demon Lord, I thought you disliked human food.”

Sesshomaru swallowed, looking at his brother and his miko for a moment. Inuyasha seemed as hungry as he, yet couldn't possibly taste half of what he ate at the speed he shoved food into his mouth. Sesshomaru then turned back towards Polgara. “I eat what I choose to eat.”

“I can tell.”

Kagome asked, “Lady Polgara, may I ask a question?”

“What is it dear?”

“I was wondering if there might be a way to take a bath of some sort. I feel like I haven't washed my hair in three days.”

“Ah. Of course. I'll set up a bath for you after breakfast.”

Sesshomaru nearly choked on the girl's next request. “And Sesshomaru-sama, may Rin take a bath with me? It might help her feel better.”

He swallowed, coughing to clear his throat. Before he could answer, Rin clapped her hands and begged, “Please Sesshomaru-sama? Can I?”

Looking into her brown eyes he felt his resistance crumble. Besides he knew the little girl needed a bath. “Do as you please.”

Kagome nodded. She pushed her plate back and stood. “Rin, are you finished eating? Perhaps they have something there for you to wear while what you're wearing is washed.”

“Of course there is, dear. I'll take you two there.” Polgara stood up, leading the two girls upstairs.

After the girls were gone, Inuyasha snickered. “Man, she's already whipped you.”

Sesshomaru glared, shoving egg filled chopsticks into his mouth. He swallowed, remarking, “Like a half-breed such as yourself should talk. I've seen the effect of those prayer beads around your neck.”

“Oi. Why is it whenever we talk its always half-breed this and half-breed that?” Inuyasha seemed to be baiting him into a fight, albeit one that wouldn't come down to physical blows.

Sesshomaru paused, fumbling with the cherry turnover. His brow furrowed in concentration, then he set it back down, licking frosting off a claw. “Because I know it irritates you.”

“If I knew you could be such a jackass in the morning I wouldn't have talked to you.” He snorted, crossing his arms.

“You did start this one, little brother.”

“Did not.”

“Did so. You declared me whipped so I merely pointed out your reality to you.” Finally giving up on eating the sweet treat with chopsticks, he sliced it in half with a claw, biting one. The other half he offered to his brother. Inuyasha snatched it up, grumbling.



Kagome and Rin looked through what Polgara had to offer for clothing. Rin was simple. Until her clothes dried she would wear an old outfit Garion had worn. Kagome on the other hand, had to borrow from the red-haired woman Ce'Nedra. The princess willingly gave what she called a Dryad tunic. It was green and a bit revealing but Kagome figured it would do while her other outfit became washed. She hoped the two brothers downstairs left alone wouldn't destroy the house.

Polgara handed Kagome a comb and brush as well as some scented oils. Kagome slipped her backpack off, placing it on the floor. She took out a bottle of shampoo and conditioner, a bar of soap and a nice towel. Polgara's eyebrows shot up. “What's this?”

“Oh, it's shampoo. I brought it from home.”

“I see. The tub is just that way. It'll be nice and hot.”

Kagome nodded her thanks, taking Rin by the hand. She smiled at the child. “Well, Rin, are you ready?”

Rin nodded. Before the tub, Kagome knelt down helping the little girl undress. She then boosted her up, setting her gently into the tub of water. She poured water over Rin's head, getting her hair nice and wet. Rin giggled. Kagome wondered how on earth the child remained so innocent and happy with a master such as Sesshomaru. She picked up the bottle of shampoo. “Rin, please close your eyes. I'm going to wash your hair and it'll sting if any of this gets into them.”

Rin squeezed her eyes shut, feeling Kagome rub her head. She lathered the soap, then rinsed it off. Rin giggled the entire time. Perhaps this innocent girl kept Sesshomaru decent. Obviously he was more than the Demon Lord who wanted nothing but to claim Tetsusaiga and destroy Inuyasha. In the last few days they had almost acted civilly to one another and she hoped that would continue. Besides, it could only benefit everyone if they stopped hating one another.

She finished washing Rin's hair, handing her the soap. Rin began washing herself, playing as she went. She smiled, looking up at Kagome. Kagome felt as if the two of them had some type of connection, and she supposed they did. Both did travel with demons and both of those demons, although one was half, protected them without hesitation. She smiled back at Rin, supposing that both brothers were not all that different after all.

Rin finished washing and Kagome lifted her out of the tub, toweling her dry. “There, don't you feel better having cleaned up?”

Rin nodded. “Yes, Kagome-sama. Very much so.”

Kagome smiled. “We'll get you dressed and you can go see Sesshomaru.”

Rin clapped her hands. “Thank you.”



Inuyasha sat at the table, arms crossed. He flicked his eyes once in awhile to his brother who stoically sat. After breakfast and Sesshomaru's teasing he felt restless. He had hoped to bicker with his elder brother but that didn't seem to happen.

The door opened and the Godslayer sat down, taking a cup of water. He glanced between the two brothers. “What's going on?”

“Nothing.” Inuyasha replied. “Just that my jackass brother almost never talks.”

Sesshomaru retorted, “Perhaps I only speak when I feel I have something important to say. Much can be said for saying very little.”

Garion sighed and turned back to his water cup. “Where's the little girl and woman?”

“Bathing.” Sesshomaru said quietly.

“Ah. Aunt Pol probably enthusiastically helped set that up.”

The patter of little feet broke the silence after Garion's comment and Rin appeared, flying to her master's lap. Sesshomaru grunted, opening his lap to her.

Inuyasha saw his eyes soften, even if the rest of his expression did not. Sesshomaru wrapped his arm tightly around Rin, holding her to his chest. All he could think to himself was that it was a side of his brother had hadn't seen before, one side that didn't spend its time trying to kill him or argue.

The door opened and another man they had not yet met entered. He was pale with jet black hair and angular eyes. He looked from Garion to the two demon brothers and back again. “Of all the times you had to come to the Vale, Garion, why did it have to be now?”

Garion shrugged. “Ce'Nedra would be able to tell you more on that, Zakath. Sit. Aunt Pol should make lunch soon.”

Zakath sat down, looking at the two brothers. “Who are they?”

“The one with the child is Lord Sesshomaru and the other is Inuyasha,” Garion said. “Sesshomaru is a Demon Lord and Inuyasha is his half-demon brother.”

Zakath looked puzzled then bewildered. “You mean I traveled all the way from Mallorea only to find a pair of demons in the second to last place I'd ever think to look? I've had enough demons the past month.” He passed a hand over his eyes. “Did you ever get that letter?”

Garion's brow furrowed. “I forgot to ask Silk for it.”

“Garion! It was important!”

“I gather that.”

“How can you be so calm. I rule a whole continent and you a tiny island. I've been wallowing in the mess left after a demon massacre. If I ever get my hands on that magician I'll cut his head off and crucify him myself.” He then looked at the two demons again. “Wait, Garion, where did these two demons come from? And why is he sitting with a child?”

“We don't know.” Garion simply responded. “She came with him when they showed up.”

Zakath sighed. “Why do I ever bother asking you anything. You're frustrating did you know that?”

“One does one's best.”

Inuyasha coughed. “Demon troubles you say? What exactly is going on?”

“What isn't always going on? Those worthless Karands are revolting and have some guy in control of a Demon Lord who happens to control the rest. Only problem is no one knows where he came from. Karanda had been quite peaceful as far as a country that worships demons goes and then it just burst into flames a month ago.”

Inuyasha's brow furrowed. “Controls a Demon Lord?”

“Yes. And the Demon Lord summons all the other ones. They've ravaged all of Karanda and seem to be heading to the northern half of Ancient Mallorea.”

Garion gasped. “Why would they head for Cthol Mishrak? They will find nothing but stagnant water and rusting metal there.”

“Who knows what a Demon Lord, magician or what the Karands ever intend to do in any given situation? I have a funny feeling that a few Grolims will have something to say about it.” Zakath groaned. “Just what I need. A religious war. I thought after you stuck Torak with that sword of yours I'd not have to put up with this type of behavior anymore.”

“Sorry.” Garion smiled sheepishly. “I can't make Grolims stop fighting. You're the Emperor of Mallorea, not me. I'm just the Overlord of the West.”

Sesshomaru spoke softly, “A Demon Lord who allows himself to be controlled by a mortal is not worthy to be called Demon Lord.”

Inuyasha had been waiting for his brother to say that. He looked from his brother's face to the two kings. “I still don't understand this controlling thing. I've heard of spells that can subdue and entrap but never control the way you describe.”

Garion sighed. “I've seen it done a few times, and the end result isn't always pretty. The magician draws a pattern on the ground, speaks an intricate spell, and forms an illusion, usually more hideous the better to encase the demon. The more experience and power the magician possesses the more powerful demon he can summon. Most don't learn to summon that powerful of a demon because one mistake in either the protective drawing, the spell incantation, or the illusion and the demon locked inside the illusion breaks free and devours the magician, usually first because of the illusion that it had been forced into.” Garion paused. “They're summoned usually from Hell. A demon here usually is a dark green, red, or other color with horns and tail. They're also usually hot, and in both Karanda and Morindim they often melt snow when broke free from illusion.”

Inuyasha wondered about all of this strange style of summoning a demon. “But why? It sounds as if it is worthless, more than they bargain for. Why bother if it'll only make you a snack for some demon?”

“Because they have no God and thus have turned towards demon worship instead.”

Sesshomaru snorted, cradling Rin closer to his body. “No one summons me, nor do they control me.”

“Well, you and your brother are certainly exceptions.” Garion sighed. “Sometimes demons attempt to mate with human females, hoping to produce something as awful as found in Hell, but of which cannot be sent back to Hell. They rarely are born alive and when they are born they claw their way out of their mother's body, killing her in their first act of monstrosity. From there only the Gods know what they might do. Most die before they can only become killing machines with no master. Demons hope to attain such a creature any way possible.”

Inuyasha gasped. “Destroy your own mother?” He couldn't believe slicing his way through his mother to be born. It just wasn't right.

Garion nodded. “Yes. It is what they do.”

Sesshomaru's quiet voice broke the silence that had settled on the room. “Surely they have a weak night when they become human and can be killed.”

Zakath stepped in asking, “What do you mean?”

“All half-breeds lose their powers for one night a month. They become merely mortal and human that night and thus cower in fear until the daybreak.”

Garion pursed his lips. “No, no. I don't think the demons that would be born alive and live would actually suffer that weakness. Only way to stop them is to summon a God. And that's not exactly simple. For my family Aldur will answer, but for the average Alorn or Arend, Chaldan or Belar most likely would not simply come to their bidding.”

“Well, now that we've explained all of that,” Zakath began. “Are you going to help me with this demon issue?”

Garion nodded. “Of course. We can't let this continue.”

“Mind if I come along?” Inuyasha asked. “I'd like to see some of these demons.”

Sesshomaru nodded. “As do I.”

“Then it's settled. We will go to Mallorea in the next few days. I'm sure Aunt Pol and Grandfather will join us after all.”