Crossover Fan Fiction / InuYasha Fan Fiction ❯ The Journey to the City of Endless Night ❯ Chapter Five ( Chapter 5 )

[ X - Adult: No readers under 18. Contains Graphic Adult Themes/Extreme violence. ]

Chapter Five
 
Kagome came down the stairs, feeling a little self-conscious in the Dryad tunic. Its skirt wasn't much shorter than her school uniforms, but the shirt hugged her chest. She crossed her arms tightly across her chest, attempting to shield herself. Kagome entered the dining area to find Inuyasha, Sesshomaru, the Godslayer, and a new man she had never met discussing some troubles the man was having with demons.

Kagome snuck to Inuyasha's side, hoping she'd go unnoticed. She slid into a chair next to Inuyasha, looking from Inuyasha to Sesshomaru and back again. They both looked serious, but not tense. Both seemed focused entirely on the conversation at hand to bother with a fight. Rin lay draped over Sesshomaru's lap, her head resting on his shoulder. She was awake but looked drowsy.

Inuyasha looked down, nodding at her. His eyes then grew wide, though he didn't say anything about her change of clothes. Kagome felt her cheeks flush, then she whispered, “Lady Polgara is washing my usual outfit.” She heard him gulp, then he nodded. Kagome felt almost satisfied by his reaction to the outfit. Allowing her arms to ease from around her chest, she relaxed slightly.

Kagome heard Sesshomaru snort. His cool, calm voice asked, “How far will we travel to this Mallorea?”

Garion sighed. “We'll have to head east across the continent and see if I can get a Cherek warship to cross the Sea of the East.” He looked towards Zakath. “I hope you don't mind, Zakath. I just do not trust Mallorean ships and sailors all that much.”

Zakath laughed softly. “Of course, Garion. You're the ruler of an island, you know more about this than I.”

Inuyasha huffed. “So, how long will this take?”

“About two months round trip. Two to three weeks to get there, about a few weeks to find where this magician and Demon Lord are, but most likely Cthol Mishrak, and then a couple weeks to get back here to the Vale,” Garion surmised.

“Two months!” Inuyasha felt Kagome grip his hand to try and calm him. “Alright,” he grumbled under his breath.

Sesshomaru nodded. “Fine. So it is settled. We will leave for this Mallorea when?”

“Grandfather will probably have us leave in a few days most likely. Sound good?”

“Fine with me,” Zakath answered.

Garion stood. “I think I'll track Grandfather down and see what he thinks of all of this.” He walked out the door leaving the two demons and Kagome with the strange new king.

Silence overtook the room until Kagome said, “Well, I guess we'll just rest the rest of the day. We really can't do much else.”

Inuyasha crossed his arms, his red haori hiding them. “Feh. Whatever.”

Zakath folded his hands over themselves. He then sighed. “Where on earth are my manners.” He stood, bowing slightly toward Kagome. “I'm Zakath.”

“Kagome Higurashi.” She nodded back.

Zakath retook his seat. “And where do you fit in with this odd group, young lady?”

“I travel with Inuyasha.” She glanced at Sesshomaru and Rin. “How is Rin doing?”

Rin lifted her head smiling slightly. “Rin is very warm and sleepy.” She placed her head back onto Sesshomaru's shoulder, wrapping her arms tightly around him.

Polgara came back downstairs. “Your clothes are in your room when ever you are ready to change. I also provided you a nice peasant dress for travel. We'll draw less attention that way.” She put a teapot over the fire. “Oh, hello Zakath.”

Zakath nodded. “Hello Lady Polgara. Garion went to talk with Belgarath.”

“What does he want with the Old Wolf?”

“I've got a situation on my hands at home. We're being overrun with demons so I came here for help.”

“I see.” Polgara poured five cups of tea, placing them on the table. “I'm sure you've already met our special guests.”

“Yes, yes I have. Your family never ceases to amaze me.” He smiled slightly. “Though, I must say I'm not looking forward to traveling to Cthol Mishrak.”

“City of Endless Night?” Polgara's eyes went wide. “Why Torak's city?”

“Don't ask me why the magician is taking his demon host there. It doesn't make sense to me either.”

“I suppose you want us to come with you to fend off what ever is brewing there.”

“Yes, yes. Garion agreed but he's off telling Belgarath. I don't think we can just leave this magician alone.”

“No. We can't.” She looked from Inuyasha to Sesshomaru. “I suppose you two will be traveling that way as well. What about the little girl and you, Kagome?”

“Where I go, Rin goes,” Sesshomaru gritted.

“Okay, but do try to keep her from all that stagnant water and Grolims. Your eyes make you look Angarak after all.”

Kagome nodded. “Of course we will go. Inuyasha and I need to stay together or we might not get back home to our friends.”

Inuyasha snorted, his arms crossing across his chest. “Who else can sense if these demons have the jewel.”

“Jewel? What jewel?” Polgara's eyebrow arched.

Kagome saw Inuyasha inwardly kick himself. She sighed. “It's what we're looking for. Don't pay any attention to him.”

“I want to know what jewel this is. The Orb?”

“No, no. The Jewel of Four Souls. It's shattered into pieces currently.” Kagome sighed.

“Jewel of Four Souls?”

“Yes. The Shikon No Tama. It increases the power of demons who possess it,” Kagome finished. “We're searching for it's many pieces. One shard provides its owner with enormous power.”

Inuyasha grunted. “I wouldn't be surprised if our 'magician' happened to have a shard or two. Probably how he commands so many of the demons.”

“Even so, we'll have to deal with what ever it is. What ever is going on, perhaps it'll help you return back to your friends.” Polgara sipped from her own cup of tea.

“Hopefully.”
 
 
 
 
A few days later, Durnik and Garion prepared the horses they would need to travel upon through Mishrak ac Thull on their way to the Sea of the East. Inuyasha sighed, never having had to ride a horse before. His arms were crossed and his ears were down as he stood next to the horse they had provided him. She was a sturdy, older mare less likely to become skittish as they traveled. That didn't convince the half-demon, however, why he should ride the animal.

He grumbled, “I don't want to ride the damn horse.”

Kagome looked over from her horse. She sighed. “Inuyasha, you have to ride the horse. We can't have you running around here because it'll draw attention.”

Inuyasha thrust his chin forward. “Feh. Like weak human eyes could see me anyways. I still don't think I should have to get on the stupid horse.”

“Inuyasha,” Kagome's voice cut into him, “you will ride the horse. Or I will 'it you so much you'll have no choice but to be on that horse for a month.”

Inuyasha glared at her He looked from his horse to her. “Wench, I'd rather have to carry you than ride this ridiculous animal.”

Kagome crossed her arms, her hands disappearing in the long sleeves of her gray peasant dress. “Inuyasha! Sit boy!”

The prayer beads around his neck glowed a pink and Inuyasha felt it yank him to the grass below. He grunted, “What the fuck did you do that for!” Inuyasha saw his horse's muzzle near him as she looked with calm brown eyes at the disgruntled half-demon.

Kagome threw her hands up in exasperation. “Why do I even bother talking to you sometimes!” She stalked away from him towards the other women in the traveling party.

He sat up after the spell wore off and shook his fist. “Fine, be that way! See if I care!”

Sesshomaru shook his head from the horse he had been provided. He sighed. “Little brother, do not make such a spectacle of yourself.”

Inuyasha shifted on the ground and stood up, brushing his pants off. “Oh yeah, asshole? Wanna come over here and say that?”

Rolling his eyes, Sesshomaru gracefully turned his back on his brother. He also traveled in the direction that Kagome had. He said, glancing over his shoulder, “Half-breed, perhaps you should learn to hold your tongue.” He bent down slightly, hefting Rin up with his arm before walking back to his horse.

Garion rode up towards the two brothers just as Sesshomaru adjusted himself and Rin in the saddle. “We're going to be heading towards the Stronghold. It'll take us about two and a half days to cross the plains of Algaria. Aunt Pol told me to let you know.” He turned his horse around to face the direction they would travel in.

Sesshomaru nodded his response. Rin asked, “Will there be flowers as we go?”

Garion nodded. “Lots. There's a very special one that I'll have to show you sometime.” He winked before getting his horse into a trot. “I should rejoin Aunt Pol. We'll set up camp later tonight and we can talk more there.”

Inuyasha crossed his arms, glaring at his horse. He snorted. “Feh. Still don't know why I have to ride this stupid animal.” He got on the horse, adjusting himself in the saddle as he saw Kagome approach again.

Sesshomaru sighed, shaking his head slightly. He rode ahead to follow Garion. “I am going to ride up there with the Godslayer.”

Inuyasha glared at him. “Like I care, jackass.”

Kagome rode her horse next to his, smiling slightly. “Well, Inuyasha, I guess we're going to find out what is going on with those demons. Don't look so glum.”

Inuyasha felt awkward sitting astride the horse, adjusting again. The horse seemed nonchalant about a half-demon sitting on its back and merely followed everyone else. He snorted. “I'm fine.”

“Oh Inuyasha, I'm sorry for 'itting you but I had to get you on that horse.”

“Feh. Whatever. I'm on the stupid horse. Let's just get to this place already.” Inuyasha twitched his ears hearing his brother's retainer squawk about being left behind. As strange as he and his brother looked, Jaken puzzled him. How would they disguise the foolish toad?

Sesshomaru's horse stopped. He called the toad forward, “Jaken.” Once Jaken stood by the horse, Sesshomaru ordered, “You will stay here.”

“But my lord!”

“Do as I say.”

That settled it. Inuyasha almost wanted to catch up to Sesshomaru and thank him for leaving behind the obnoxious toad. He watched as Jaken folded his arms over that staff of his. A slight smile crossed his lips. “Serves him right. Best to keep that toad here.”

A bird circled the grassland, landing and shimmering into the dwarf. “What's going on here?”

Inuyasha instinctively raised his haori to his nose. “My brother's retainer is being left behind. Sesshomaru just has to persuade him of that. He'll catch up.”

Beldin nodded. “I'm going back up there. Those foolish beasts irritate me.” He shimmered again, leaping into the sky.

Kagome gasped. “That's amazing!”

Inuyasha nodded. “Yeah. Wish I could ditch this silly animal. I want to run, not let the horse run for me.”

“I know, I know. Let's not start that argument all over again, okay?” She adjusted her skirt on the horse.

The little rat faced man dropped back towards their horses. “Well, I guess we're all going to be traveling together. Your brother, what type of treatment should we expect to give him? I like to know what not to do.”

Inuyasha shook his head to clear hair from his eyes. He snorted. “Just avoid him if you can.”

He nodded. “We're going to have to do something about your ears when we get to the Stronghold. Belgarath told me that Polgara would handle it.”

Inuyasha grunted. He swiveled his ears towards his brother's horse as he caught up. “Long as I don't have to tie something on them or wear a silly hat I don't care. I hate hats. They make my ears itch.”

Sesshomaru joined them, joining the conversation. “What should we expect as we travel?”

Silk said, “Grass and more grass. I should warn you, however, traveling with Belgarath, Polgara, and the Rivan King we'll surely encounter an escort before long. Not to mention His Royal Majesty Zakath. It's highly unnecessary and ridiculous but they'll insist. Algars are persistent, especially the one I'm thinking about.”

Sesshomaru frowned slightly at the prospect of more humans. He, however, remained silent.

“Belgarath feels the same way if it makes you feel any better. Alorns irritate him and he's been dealing with their ridiculous behavior for thousands of years.” Silk laughed. “Besides, it could be worse. We could be visiting Val Alorn in Cherek. They're all drunk all the time up there.”

Inuyasha shook his head. “An escort? Lucky us.” He felt as if his tail bone would jostle out of his body from riding the horse.

Silk winked. “I do know a few ladies who would kill to have hair like the two of you so I'm only going to warn you once.”

Inuyasha groaned. “Why me?”

Silk nearly fell out of his saddle laughing. “Garion's been asking that since he was fourteen. No one has ever answered him.”

Belgarath stirred from his doze. “Silk, don't torment our guests. I'm not cleaning up your remains when one of them decides to rip you in two.”

“Who me? Torment others? How can you say such things? I thought you'd think better of me, Ancient One.” He mocked him further by bowing slightly in his saddle.

“Silk, you're an evil, evil man.”

“I try.” He glanced over at Inuyasha. “Did I torment you, dear, dear demon sir?”

“Silk!”

“I asked him a question with respect. What ever is wrong with that behavior?” His nose twitched noticeably.

“Prince Kheldar, your tongue will get you into trouble some day, do you know that?” Polgara said, turning around slightly. “Leave them be. I'm not cleaning up your remains either.”

Inuyasha shook his head. Apparently Silk spent his time entertaining himself by mocking others, Silk reminded him much of Miroku, minus the monk status or the need to ask all females if they'd bear his children. He looked over at Kagome, shrugging.

“Lady Polgara! I've been in trouble my entire life. How else would I know how to live?”



About four hours later Inuyasha watched the others stop their horses around a river. He leapt off his horse, grateful to be on his own two feet. He ran around, stretching the kinks out of his legs. Glaring over at his horse, he grunted. When he had agreed to travel to this City of Endless Night he hadn't agreed to riding a horse at all.

He sat down onto the ground, gratefully accepting a piece of cheese. He eagerly ate it, then gulped as much water as he could before running again. It felt good to have the air flow through his ears and hair. After he worked out the remaining kinks, Inuyasha sat back down next to Kagome. She looked a little fatigued and yawned. “I could go to sleep right here.”

Inuyasha snorted. “You should drink some water and have one of those hunks of cheese,” he grabbed a cup filling it with water and a hunk of cheese from the travel bag. “Here.” If she could force him onto the horse he could force her to eat something. She nodded, taking each.

A few feet away his brother sat down with the little girl. Inuyasha handed a cup of water to him for the girl. He nodded before giving a piece of cheese as well. They ate in silence until it was time to continue on their journey. Inuyasha said to his horse, “Yes, I know, I know. It is not my idea. I do not want to ride you and you don't want me to ride you but I have to so deal.” He launched himself into the saddle, steading himself. “Remind me to never do this again.”

Kagome sighed. “It's not that bad, really.”

“Speak for yourself, wench.”

Kagome glared at him, turning away from him. The silent treatment seemed to be the weapon of choice this time.

They rode across the plains for about another hour until a lone horseman appeared on the crest of a hill. His lone black lock of hair flowed in the air behind him and he looked grim. Inuyasha wasn't sure if he wanted to see this human. The horses stopped and the man lead his horse in their direction. He wore leather and a sword. His hawk like features softened for a moment before settling back into a mask. “I've expected you.”

“Hettar,” Belgarath said. “We're on our way to the Stronghold. I suppose you're going to be our escort.”

“Yes, yes. There have been a few bandits out here the past few weeks. Odd because I haven't seen a Murgo since my father stuck that sword of his into Taur Urgas and Garion killed their God.” He swung his horse around. “Best not to attract any would be attackers with a small group.”

“True, true.” Belgarath looked over his odd group. “We'll talk at camp tonight about what's stirring in other parts of the world. If you can't tell we've got Zakath with us.”

Beldin landed. “What's the hold up, Belgarath? Are you waiting for the demons over in Mallorea to pay you a social call?”

Belgarath grunted. “We're going. You don't have to be so sour.”

“Someone has to knock the fluff out of your head.” He scratched an armpit. “I'm going back up there.” His hands curved into talon like gestures and he shimmered, launching back into the sky.

Inuyasha flattened his ears tightly to his skull hoping the new arrival would not notice the odd appendages. He pulled his horse behind his brother's, then next to Sesshomaru's horse. He lifted one ear, attempting to hear what was being said. The new horse rider didn't seem to notice him and had lapsed into the spot next to the Godslayer. He let his ears sit back up, twitching them after abusing them so much.

Sesshomaru, without turning towards him, said, “It seems no one cares about your ears, little brother.”

Inuyasha snorted. “Whatever. I just don't feel like having someone else touch or gawk or ask about them today.” He saw a slight smile play across his brother's features.

“I see. This new human, he seems less talkative than some of the others.” Sesshomaru adjusted Rin in the saddle. “I am certain that they will set up camp before too long. Nightfall is approaching after all.”

“Yes. I'd expect them to. Kagome already looked a bit tired after five hours in the saddle.” He adjusted more on his horse attempting to get comfortable.

“Rin has complained as well of being slightly tired. I do not have a problem with resting over night.”



While Garion and Durnik pitched the tents, Polgara prepared supper from stores brought from her cottage. She prepared a stew with a piece of cheese set aside for all. Inuyasha gratefully accepted his bowl, consuming it as fast as possible.

Kagome joined him with her own bowl. “Inuyasha! Don't be so rude!”

He swallowed. “How am I being rude? I'm eating so what's the problem.”

“Don't gulp so much.” Kagome ate her own stew quietly and politely. “It's just not polite.”

Inuyasha rolled his eyes. “Whatever.” He slurped more stew. Once he finished, he ripped a piece of cheese and bit into it.

Sesshomaru and Rin sat not far away from them, with Sesshomaru feeding Rin cheese bites and eating his own bowl of stew. He looked towards Inuyasha before quietly talking with Rin.

Garion sat down not far from the group. He had the new human with him. “Hettar, I'd like you to meet the new members of our little traveling group.” He pointed towards Rin. “That little girl is named Rin.” Rin smiled wide over her bowl that she shared with Sesshomaru. Next, Garion pointed to Sesshomaru. “This is Lord Sesshomaru. Rin is his ward.”

Hettar nodded. He looked nearly as grim as Sesshomaru did about the whole introduction. Inuyasha knew that the moment he'd been dreading since this horseman joined the group earlier that day had finally come.

Garion pointed to Kagome. “This is Kagome. And finally Inuyasha.” Inuyasha left his ears alone, deciding he had no choice. Hettar only nodded, seeming not to care about Inuyasha's odd ears. He also did not respond verbally. “I'm sure you've noticed that he has some unusual ears. We'll talk about that when we reach the Stronghold.”

Once everyone had finished eating, Inuyasha stood and stretched. His legs felt numb from all the riding he had done that day, and now he only wanted to feel normal again. He looked over the fire, then back at Kagome, noticing that she had begun to drowse where she sat. He sat back down behind her, wrapping his legs around her and easing her back into his chest. He was thankful that Shippo wasn't there to be a pest.

Kagome snuggled into his chest, falling fast asleep. Inuyasha felt himself stifle a yawn, feeling a bit worn out from the pat few days. He didn't want to fall asleep in this strange place out in the open when Kagome needed him most and he didn't want to appear weak in front of his brother either.

Sesshomaru interrupted his thoughts. “Don't force yourself to remain awake on my accord.” He held Rin's sleeping form as he stood. “You really haven't slept in days. I'll stand guard.”

Inuyasha felt a bit peeved. “I can handle it.”

“I'm not saying you cannot. I just think it'd be best if you got some rest otherwise I can't count on you if it becomes necessary.”

Inuyasha flattened his ears. “Alright.” He allowed the yawn to finally escape him. “You can put Rin next to me that way you don't have to worry.”

Sesshomaru nodded, setting Rin next to him. She immediately made Inuyasha into a pillow, nestling into the leftover folds of his haori. Sesshomaru stood after rubbing Rin's hair gently. “I will tell the Godslayer that I will stand guard tonight.”

Inuyasha nodded his eyes growing weary with sleep. “Good. Wake me if anything should happen.” Sesshomaru nodded before walking away. Inuyasha held Kagome closer and then pulled Rin closer, placing one arm around Rin, the other Kagome. He had forgotten all about getting into a tent and let sleep overtake him.



Inuyasha felt a nudge on his shoulder and he jumped up, drawing and transforming Tetsusaiga. “What! Where!”

Kagome gasped. “Inuyasha! You scared me!”

Inuyasha grunted. “Don't go waking me up like that.”

Kagome sighed. “Lady Polgara has breakfast on the fire.” She gently took his hand. “Come on, before we miss it.”

When they arrived, Inuyasha noticed that his brother and Rin were not there. “Where's Sesshomaru?”

“Oh, Rin wanted to pick flowers. Not entirely sure what flowers but she insisted.” Kagome giggled.”Now that he's not here I can say he acts more like a puppy dog with that child.”

“I wouldn't ever let him hear you say that.”

Kagome leaned her head onto his shoulder. “Thanks for keeping me warm last night.”

Inuyasha felt a slight blush creep on his face. “Least I could do for you in the open like that.”

“We did have a tent, you know.”

“Feh. I've got my fire rat.”

They sat down with the rest of the group, waiting for breakfast. Most were waking and preparing for the day in silence. Inuyasha felt his stomach rumble and he began to grow a little impatient.

Sesshomaru returned with Rin and sat down not far from Inuyasha and Kagome, daring anyone to ask about his new head adornment. Rin had woven a circlet of yellow, blue, and purple flowers placing it on Sesshomaru's head. Inuyasha suppressed a laugh not wanting to anger his brother or provoke Kagome to sit him.

Inuyasha took some cheese and began to eat. It'd do until breakfast was ready. He looked over the group traveling with them and noticed that most everyone had made ready for the days ride. He glanced over his shoulder when he felt a nudge. His horse from yesterday was rubbing her head onto his shoulder. “Gah! What are you doing that for?”

Kagome giggled. “I guess your horse likes you more than you like her.”

“Well if it were up to me, it wouldn't be my horse.” He stood up, moving away from the horse. “Don't know why the damn thing took a liking to me.” He glared at his now smirking brother. “And you, flower king, shut the hell up.”

Sesshomaru stopped smirking. “You should know your place, half-breed.”

“Half-breed! I'll show you half-breed!” Inuyasha had his hand on Tetsusaiga, preparing to fight.

“Inuyasha! Sit!” Kagome shouted, hoping to avoid the fight brewing. As soon as Inuyasha's face hit the dirt, she said, “I'm sorry Sesshomaru. He gets like this when he hasn't been fed in the morning.”

Inuyasha grunted. “Hey! You apologize to him! That's not fair! What did you do that for?”

“Inuyasha!” Her voice sounded like steel to his ears and he flattened them. “That's better. Now, why don't you s- join me on the grass here and we can eat breakfast before you drive all of us crazy.”

Polgara peeked her head around the corner of a tent. “What's going on here? I heard all this shouting and a crash. Is everything all right?”

“It's just fine, Lady Polgara. We were having a sibling rivalry discussion between Inuyasha and Sesshomaru. It's all better now.”

“Oh. I see.” She shook her head. “You shouldn't fight so much. Once a sibling is gone, they're gone.”

Silk came from the horses. “I see we all get along well over here.”

Inuyasha crossed his arms over his chest. “Whatever. When are we leaving and when we we arrive at this Stronghold, anyways?”

“Impatient, too.” Silk strapped a few things to his horse's saddle. “You sound just as bad as Belgarath and Garion. They both do more damage when irritated than most do in a rage.” He sat down, breaking a piece of bread off. “I expect to leave in about a half an hour. We're nearly packed and most are eating or have eaten.”

Hettar joined them, checking over the horses. He nodded towards Inuyasha. “Your horse, she says she enjoys the ride with you.”

Inuyasha looked up, his eyes wide. “My horse?”

“Yes. She says she enjoys the ride very much. Though, she doesn't know why you do not.” Hettar set a horse's hoof down after checking the shoe.

“How do you know what my horse thinks?”

“It's a talent.”

Polgara said, “He is a Sha-Dar. They communicate with horses.” She gave Inuyasha a bowl of breakfast.

“Oh. Seems like all you humans aren't just humans.”

“No, no. We're an odd party indeed.”

Inuyasha greedily slurped his gruel, hungry to eat anything. He set his bowl aside. “There. Finally.”

After everyone was ready they continued on their journey across a sea of never ending grass. It swayed this way and that as the breeze shifted. Inuyasha began to wonder if anyone knew where they were going and if they'd ever reach this so-called Stronghold.

At about noon they rested the horses when Hettar stated that they had begun to complain. At the brief stop, Inuyasha again asked impatiently, “Alright, how much farther do we have to go to reach this Stronghold?”

“Nightfall,” Belgarath said. He had been dozing all day and not all that talkative. “Don't worry, we'll get there soon enough. It'll be there if we get there tonight or if we get there in a couple days.”

Inuyasha huffed. “Feh. Easy for you to say, Old Man.”