Crossover Fan Fiction / InuYasha Fan Fiction ❯ The Journey to the City of Endless Night ❯ Chapter Six ( Chapter 6 )

[ X - Adult: No readers under 18. Contains Graphic Adult Themes/Extreme violence. ]

Chapter Six
 
At twilight's approach they finally came upon what at first appeared to be a mountain rising out of the endless grass towards the sky. Then, at second glance, Sesshomaru realized that it was a man-made mountain. It was four times the size of his own fortress in the Western Lands and seemed to beckon to those who wished to attack. He heard Inuyasha gasp, “It's huge! Not even Naraku has such a large castle.”

A man propped up by two others exited the enormous fortress and approached them. Belgarath nodded. “Cho-Hag.”

“Ancient One, we've heard that you were coming. Our home is your home.”

“The ladies of our party wish to freshen up from the road before we discuss our important matters,” Polgara remarked.

Cho-Hag nodded. “Certainly, Lady Polgara. I'll have some rooms prepared for the use of the ladies.”

Sesshomaru could tell that this human, although seemingly weak, was regarded in high esteem. The little rat faced man spoke softly, “He's King of Algaria. Put him on a horse and he bests any man alive. Don't be fooled.”

Sesshomaru only nodded, watching as everyone filed into the man-made mountain. He followed, keeping a firm grip on Rin.

Once inside, the ladies went off together leaving the men of the party to sit in the dining hall. Belgarath said, “Cho-Hag, Zakath says there is something brewing over in Mallorea. We'll talk about it once the ladies return.”

Inuyasha crossed his arms, sitting down onto a chair. He scuffed his foot on the floor, anxiously waiting for Kagome to return. Since having arrived in this strange land, he felt apprehensive especially when she was not around. He looked to the door often, waiting to see if the ladies would appear any time soon.

Sesshomaru sat down a few chairs away from his brother. He snorted as he watched his brother fidget. As Inuyasha kept his eyes glued to the door the ladies had disappeared behind, he shook his head. Apparently as much as he argued with the miko and caused her great ire, his half-breed brother seemed to desire her company much more than he was willing to admit. The foolishness of the whole affair concerned him not at all, but if he was to travel much more with his brother it would have to stop.

The Godslayer's eyes drew Sesshomaru's attention. He said, “How has Algaria been, Cho-Hag?”

Cho-Hag sighed. “I am afraid to say that we've had a few Murgo horse thieves amongst our herds again. It's discouraging to say the least but we're trying to prevent too much theft. I'm not sure why they're picking that old habit back up again.”

“Hettar had said much the same thing when he joined us.” Garion dusted off his brown hose. “I wonder what is driving them to behave that way again.”

“Perhaps what ever is happening in Mallorea has something to do with it.”

“Maybe.” A wide smile crossed his plain features. “I think I promised to show someone a very special flower, didn't I?” He stood, winking. “Would you like to see it while we wait?”

Rin looked up into Sesshomaru's face. “May I, Sesshomaru-sama?” Her eyes locked onto his, a pleading expression in them.

Sesshomaru sighed slightly, standing. Glancing over towards his brother who hadn't paid any attention to the conversation solidified his decision. He held Rin to his chest. “Let us see this flower.”

“It's not far from here. Follow me.” Garion led them towards a small field not far from the massive fortress encompassing the landscape. He bent down when he reached a particular hill covered in dense green bushes. Lavender flowers blanketed the bush, giving off a sweet fragrance not unlike that of honey. Garion picked a single flower, extending it to the small child.

Rin's eyes lit up upon seeing the flower. She smiled wide. “It's a pretty flower.”

“It's called Adara's Rose, after my cousin.” He smiled sheepishly. “I made it for her. It's a little lopsided, I admit.”

Sesshomaru had smelt the flower as they approached. He looked at it in Rin's small hands, noticing that it was indeed lopsided. The pale lavender color and fragrance compensated for the flaws that marred the flower. The fact that this flower had been created by a human still amazed him. If not for the fact that he had witnessed what this odd group could do he might not have believed that this flower had been created by a human at all. Rin looked up at him, the flower held up towards him. She said, “Here Sesshomaru-sama.”

Garion smiled slightly. “You can take as many as you like, Rin. But be quick. We best get back before Aunt Pol and the other ladies return.”

Sesshomaru took the flower into his clawed hand, holding it gently. Rin smiled at him before picking a handful more. Sliding one into her hair, she opened her arms up to him, wordlessly asking to be picked up and carried back to the fortress not far away.


Kagome found herself in a well furnished room, the drapes a dark blue. The carpet matched at a slightly lighter shade and the furniture itself was a dark mahogany. What drew her attention, however, were the dresses hanging in the bureau before her. Long, flowing, and richly colored, each dress looked as if it belonged on someone of a far higher class than herself.

Polgara laughed softly. “Kagome, dear, Queen Silar provided these. Pick anything that you like and you can wear it at court tonight. Even if the men won't get cleaned up and put on something nice doesn't mean us ladies have to do the same.”

Kagome glanced over her shoulder at her. “Anything I want?”

“Yes. Anything. The tubs should be ready soon for bathing.” Polgara drew out a long, velvet dress. Royal blue in color, it had nice silver trim on the bodice and the skirt. She nodded in satisfaction. “Perfect. And such nice texture. Now, for you my dear.” She sized up Kagome, looked through the closet of dresses. “Perhaps a nice green or lavender would suit you most.”

Kagome blushed. It had been one thing to wear a simple travel dress, certainly something else entirely to wear something lavish and revealing. She sat down on a beautifully cushioned chair, waiting to see what dress Polgara might choose. “Lady Polgara, really, I don't need to look fancy. Honestly, I think I should just get back into my travel dress after my bath.”

“Nonsense, dear. We're going to be in a king's court. We should at least try to fit in. If people discuss your dress and how stunning you looked in it, they'll be less likely to remember anything you said that might not be good for some to know. I'm not doing this just to make you look pretty.” She held up a stunning green dress with long sleeves and skirt. “Now stand. Let me see what this like looks against your complexion.”

Kagome did as she was instructed. She looked at the long, flowing gown with the rich gray fur trim on the bodice and cuffs, nervous to even touch it. She gasped when Polgara lifted her arms, “Dear, hold your arms out a bit so I can see how it looks.” She nodded in satisfaction. “Yes, yes. This one is perfect. It suits you well.” She set it down. “Now, what to do about your hair. We'll deal with that after you've bathed.”

“Why make me so elaborate? I understand we want people to pay more attention to what I'm wearing, but I don't know---” Kagome began when Polgara placed a finger to her lips.

“I was told by a very smart woman when my sister got married that if you have it, flaunt it. You, my dear, have it. Don't be silly and hide it. Think of it as your big debut at court. You just might have as much fun breaking hearts as I did.” She winked.

She picked up a necklace that sparkled with diamonds. The largest stone was an amethyst. “This will accentuate nicely.” Clucking her tongue, Polgara pushed her towards the tubs set up. “Hurry, get washed up so we can all get ready for the meeting. We have much to discuss before bedtime.”

Ce'Nedra entered, her hair dripping slightly and a towel wrapped around her. She said, “All yours.” She sat down into a chair, combing her lush red locks. “Lady Polgara, should I wear the cream or the green silk?” She had a lock of hair in between her teeth, sucking on it.

“Dear, don't suck on your hair. I would wear cream. Kagome will be wearing the green velvet with gray fur so it just wouldn't do if both of you wore green.” She arched an eyebrow. “Kagome, dear, didn't I tell you to bathe? Don't just stand there. Shoo.” She turned back towards Ce'Nedra. “Now, help me find something suitable for your hair and Kagome's. Our goal is to look stunning so all those spies and courtiers who will be so interested in our conversation will have something to talk about. It's not that I don't trust Alorns, but I suspect we have a few Drasnians around and I prefer not having every spy we meet know our business.”

Kagome slunk into the bath tub in the adjoining suite. She sighed as she closed the door. All of this was confusing. Certainly this was taking a lot longer than she had thought it might when they arrived and Lady Polgara had devised baths for them. Sliding out of her travel dress, Kagome eased herself into the hot, steamy water. Hopefully Inuyasha wouldn't be too impatient about their return.


Inuyasha sat in his chair, arms crossed. He tapped his foot impatiently as time went by and still the ladies had not returned from their baths. His ears were flattened tightly to his skull as low growls emanated from his throat. It was not good to be away from one another for this amount of time. They had no idea how they had gotten to this strange land and the more time they spent apart the more likely they could find themselves separated by some other shift of location.

The door the ladies had disappeared behind finally opened and in the doorway stood the tiny red-haired mate of the Godslayer. She wore her hair in ringlets pinned up on top of her head and a cream silk dress with long sleeves and gold trim. At her throat rested a silver amulet. She curtsied before taking her seat next to her mate. Inuyasha could have cared less what the tiny girl looked like. He was waiting for Kagome and he began to grow nervous. Had it taken so long because she would be dressed in a similar fashion?

Behind her stood Lady Polgara in rich, blue velvet with silver trim. She held herself far more regally than even the red-haired queen had managed. Her hair was left down as it needed no hair dressing to accentuate its beauty. She nodded before taking her seat by her mate and her father.

Finally, he saw Kagome. She stood in the doorway, her hands clasped nervously in front of her. A slight blush tinged her cheeks. Then, he noticed that she wore an emerald velvet gown, the bodice low cut, trimmed with gray fur. It swept down to the floor shrouding her legs. At her throat lay the bottle he knew so well that held the jewel shards and a new ornament. It had a large, purple rock. Her hair had been pinned up, away from her neck. Tiny combs held it up, jewels sparkling off the tops of them. She attempted to follow Ce'Nedra and Polgara's example and crossed the floor as regally as she could muster, which wasn't much as she clasped her hands tightly in front of herself.

Inuyasha felt his mouth run dry at the sight of her. He had seen her in much more revealing outfits, mainly her school uniform, but none had emphasized her features quite like this. She took her seat next to him, glancing nervously. She whispered, “Lady Polgara picked it out for me.”

Inuyasha gulped. He eased his seat closer to hers, not wanting any of the other males, mated or not, to be near her when she was dressed like this. He smelled a sweet fragrance, quite like honey. It smelled much like the flower that his brother's ward had brought back a half an hour ago. He blushed slightly as he caught himself looking directly at her bodice. Turning slightly away, he tried to suppress some of the other physical aspects of his reaction. He smelt her tears and whirled to face her. “What's the matter?”

She obviously was much more nervous than usual to let something such as his turning slightly away to upset her so. “Don't you like it?”

It wasn't that he didn't like it, that was too much of the problem, actually. He whispered, “Feh, don't be stupid.” His ears drooped. His hands were clasped tightly in his lap, as he turned towards her.

Glancing over her new finery, he bit his lip slightly. If anything, he should have ignored her tears because now it became even more difficult to hide physically how much he liked her dress. He felt guilty for thinking of her that way. Inuyasha knew he didn't deserve it in the first place, and second, he wasn't sure if she'd accept any attempt to express his true feelings. Certainly not now in front of this group of people. “Inuyasha, earth to Inuyasha.” She elbowed him, breaking him from his thoughts. She hissed at him, “Don't stare there. It's rude!”

Inuyasha jumped, his cheeks reddening further as he realized just where he had been staring. He had been staring directly at her cleavage and he inwardly smacked himself for being as lecherous as the monk. Her dress fit so well and highlighted the curve of her breasts. The soft cream color of her skin contrasted nicely with the rich, emerald and gray. Inuyasha shook his head, trying to dispel all thoughts of her in the dress, and consequently out of the dress. It had been one thing to see her in her uniform or even the Dryad tunic. This dress, however, almost drove him to distraction.

Belgarath thrust him from his contemplation of Kagome in her dress as he stood. “Tonight we have several important matters to discuss. First of all, I'd like to introduce our new traveling members. I think that is a safe place to begin before we expand into Zakath's little problem at home.” He held a tankard in one hand, sipping from it. The shabbiness of his outfit completely deviated from the finery the ladies wore.

Polgara said, “Don't be alarmed by what we say about our guests. It is necessary that we have them along with us.” She smiled when she looked over towards Inuyasha and Kagome. “I hope that our conversation will be in the utmost confidence.”

Cho-Hag nodded. “Certainly, Lady Polgara.”

Belgarath sighed. “First I'll introduce the ladies of our guests. The young lady in the green dress is named Kagome and the little girl is named Rin.” He sat back down. “However, the two traveling with the ladies are quite special. The one with the little girl is named Sesshomaru. He is a Demon Lord. The other with the strange ears is named Inuyasha and his half-brother, hence a half-demon.”

Cho-Hag gasped. “Demon? Half-demon? Belgarath, are you sure that traveling with them is wise?”

Belgarath finished his tankard. “Certainly. Our Master assured us that these two are quite safe and instructed us to keep an eye on them so to speak. I haven't disobeyed my Master for thousands of years. I'm not about to start now.”

“I still don't understand. But if they're demon why aren't they attacking people? I don't understand much about such matters, but from what I have heard demons aren't exactly placid creatures.”

“Yes, we all went through that in the Vale. They're dog demons.”

Inuyasha crossed his arms tightly to his chest. He refrained from looking towards Kagome in any fashion in an attempt to keep what little concentration he had. He snorted, his ears pinned down. He hated being discussed when he sat in the same room with someone. At least the conversation kept his mind off matters such as how much work it might take to “help” Kagome out of the dress she now wore.

Polgara said, “The twins recently deciphered a bit of the Mrin Codex. They discovered exactly who our demon guests are. I was told earlier this morning the prophetic names they appeared under within the Codex, names that up until now had no significance or meaning that we could decipher. Up until now it had been a mostly forgotten passage as well.”

Belgarath nodded. “I had studied the particular passage they just figured out a couple times but it never made any sense. What did they tell you?”

Polgara arched an eyebrow. “Well, Old Wolf, if you had let me finish, I would have told you. Betira and Belkira said that Sesshomaru was known in the Codex as “The Dog that Speaks Little,” the little girl Rin was known as “The Demon's Conscience,” Kagome as “The Priestess That Transcends Time” and Inuyasha as “The Dog Protector.” The Darine backed up the Mrin about all four names.”

Inuyasha's ears perked up as he heard their names described. “What does all that weird mumbo jumbo mean?”

“Well, it means that within our prophecy you fit in with certain names. Silk over there is known in our prophecy as “The Guide.” Durnik is known as “The Man With Two Lives” and so forth,” Polgara remarked. “Garion was known as “The Chosen One.” What the twins didn't understand is Kagome's name. The other three seemed self explanatory.”

Inuyasha saw Kagome grip the shard bottle in her hand from the corner of his eye. She had grown more nervous due to the prophetic name given to her. He eased himself closer to her, wordlessly taking her other hand into his clawed one and giving it a gentle squeeze. He locked eyes with her briefly before looking over the group in the room. He wasn't going to explain the name if Kagome felt nervous about it.

Belgarath scratched his short, white beard. “Well, now that we're past the introduction of our unusual friends, how about we delve into exactly what Zakath's problem at home happens to be.”

Zakath, the Emperor of Mallorea stood, clearing his throat. “Yes. We've had someone raising a Demon Lord and they're headed for Cthol Mishrak. I know East and West have not always gotten along, but I don't think we have much of a choice. I came to ask Belgarion for assistance, which he freely gave.”

The Godslayer stood and Inuyasha thought how plain the young, serious faced man appeared. He spoke, “Yes. Cho-Hag, I'd like it if someone held an Alorn Council in my name so we can all address this issue. I'll tell Brand to stand in for me because I figure our Demon Lord won't wait for us to talk about him. I'd also like to find out exactly who is doing this. It is an issue both of us will have to deal with because the Karands have a Demon Lord and Morindim won't be far behind raising their own.”

Cho-Hag nodded. He quietly remarked, “I see. I will do as you ask, and if anyone should disagree they'll answer to me personally.”

“Thank you.” Garion sat back down.


After the court matters had been settled, Polgara led Kagome back to the room they had dressed in earlier. Kagome looked at her finery, part dejected at having to remove it and part relieved that she would be in a more normal and suitable outfit. She sighed heavily as she sat down onto the chair she had earlier.

“Would you like to talk about it, dear?” Polgara's voice asked quietly from where she sat removing her dress shoes.

Kagome blinked. She had been lost in her thoughts about how Inuyasha had reacted. She hadn't expected him to like the change of outfits, but when he had reacted as if it had been an awful choice she felt as if the whole affair had been a mistake. He obviously hadn't liked it the way he refused to look at her. She looked down at her hands clutching the green velvet, then up to Polgara's smiling face. “He didn't like it.”

“Is that what bothers you?” She placed a pot for tea over the fire. “Let me make you a cup of tea and we can talk about it, okay?”

Kagome nodded, blinking back the tears that she felt forming. “He kept turning away from me. He must not have liked it.”

“Dear, I think you're misinterpreting things.”

“What do you mean? He wouldn't look at me for any length of time.” She blushed,.“He did stare, at well, you know.”

“What does that tell you?” She poured a cup of tea for herself and one for Kagome. Polgara sipped from hers,.“I think you answered your own question, don't you?”

Kagome looked down at her cup. It had blue and red flowers on the sides and saucer. She blushed further. “I guess I did, didn't I?” She looked up towards Polgara. “So he liked it? But why did he act so awkward about it? It's just a dress.”

Polgara laughed, the richness of the sound filling the room. “It's not just a dress, at least not to him, I think.”

Kagome sniffed, wiping the rest of her tears away. She laughed slightly. “I guess you weren't lying about my debut at court, Lady Polgara.”

“You didn't break anyone's heart, really, did you?” She sipped again from her cup. “If you would like, I can help you back into your travel dress and you can talk to him. No sense in wearing finery such as this when you're in a suite.”

“No, I don't think I broke any hearts. I did, I think, make Inuyasha nervous.” She looked out the window, noticing the stars. “I suppose if I don't get back to the suite we're going to share with Sesshomaru they might fight. Inuyasha's already rattled.”

“Yes, I noticed that, too.” She set her cup down. “Here, why don't we get you back to Inuyasha and you can keep those two from attempting to lay siege to the Stronghold.”

Kagome turned from her contemplation of the stars. She nodded. “Okay.”


In the suite they were all escorted to stay in, Inuyasha sat pawing through Kagome's odd bag. He tossed out books, paper, and other odd items. He tossed the empty bag aside, running his clawed hands through the strange mass of items on top of the green carpet. “What, no ramen?”

Sesshomaru watched from a corner of the richly furnished room. Green crushed velvet curtains hung in the windows, and a rich mahogany table sat in the middle of the room, with chairs around it. He did not understand exactly what his brother had been looking for. The door opened and the miko and Polgara stood in the doorway. Kagome had changed back into the gray dress that she had traveled in to the Stronghold. “Inuyasha! Can't a girl have privacy? You're always so impatient!” She began putting things back into her bag. “Thanks so much, Lady Polgara. I think I have it handled from here.”

Polgara nodded. “You know where I am if you need me.”

“Just what were you looking for anyways, Inuyasha?” Kagome had her hands on her hips.

“Ramen.” He drooped his ears slightly, not making eye contact.

The miko threw her hands up in exasperation. “Figures. You know, we do have only ten packs left. We don't know when we'll get more so don't eat it all in one night.” So he had been searching through the young girl's things for food.

Inuyasha scuffed the floor with a bare foot. “Damn. I just want one package then. Please?”

Kagome sighed,.“Only cause you've been patient all day. Fine, get the pot out of my backpack. This time without throwing everything all over the floor. We're in a nice place, not some backwoods inn, ya know.”

Rather he wanted to admit it or not, Sesshomaru was intrigued by what the young woman gave to his younger brother as a treat. It became even increasingly obvious that the two had forgotten all about Rin and himself.

Inuyasha gleefully pulled the pot from her pack, handing it to her. She took it, sighing. “Inuyasha, you never change.” His ears drooped as if he had been insulted. Kagome set it over the fire place in the right hand corner, waiting for the rest of the items.

He exited, returning with some water. This he also gave to the miko. As time ticked by, he grew impatient and hovered over her shoulder, waiting to see when the water would boil. “Inuyasha! Don't stare at the water over my shoulder. Why don't you go sit down and wait?”

The prayer beads around his neck glowed a pink color and then he crashed into the stone floor. “Damn it, Kagome! What did you do that for?”

“Oops. Sorry Inuyasha. I didn't mean to say the 'it word.” She turned back to the pot. “Good, it's boiling.” Then she opened an odd package, pouring its contents into the pot. “Just a few more moments. Please, get a bowl for me to pour it into, okay?”

Inuyasha stood, brushing himself off, forgetting all about having been subdued. He grabbed a bowl out of the bag handing it to Kagome. Sesshomaru had to stifle a laugh as his brother nearly jumped up and down in glee. “Almost?”

“Almost my impatient hanyou.” She poured the contents into the bowl, giving them to Inuyasha who nearly spilled some of it as he eagerly sat onto the floor. “Don't spill it! I didn't make it so you could feed it to the floor.”

Inuyasha took out his chopsticks and began to eat the odd noddles. He slurped it as he ate. “Thanks Kagome.”

Kagome sat down next to him. She rubbed his ears. “Well, you were patient after all. You rode that horse and sat through that king meeting so I thought you deserved a treat.”

Rin woke from her place next to Sesshomaru. She looked over towards Inuyasha. “What does he have, Lord Sesshomaru?”

He looked down at her. “I don't know.”

Rin smiled slightly. “May I ask him if he will let me see?”

“Do as you please, Rin.”

Rin stood up on her sturdy legs crossing the room to ask Inuyasha. “What do you have Inuyasha-sama?”

Inuyasha sputtered, swallowing some of what he had eaten. He looked bewildered by the question, not wanting to share his treat. He looked to Kagome for help and Sesshomaru couldn't suppress the slight chuckle at his brother's misfortune. This caused him to snap, “Oh be quiet over there, jackass.” This only made him chuckle more.

Kagome sighed. “Inuyasha, just tell her what it is.”

Inuyasha slumped. He set the bowl down, letting the child see his treat. “It's ramen, Rin. It's a noodle soup that Kagome has from her home.”

Rin smiled up at him. “May I have a tiny, tiny taste, Inuyasha-sama? Please?”

Inuyasha grumbled. “Alright.”

Rin clapped her hands, joining him on the floor. She tasted a few noodles on his chopsticks and wiped the excess liquid from her chin. “It is good.”

Inuyasha sighed. “Yes, yes it is.” He pushed the bowl towards her. “Before I get into trouble, I'll share with you.”

Rin looked up into his face. She nodded, taking a few more noodles. “Inuyasha-sama, thank you.”


Sesshomaru entered the main room of the suite they shared, after he had placed Rin down for the night. At the table on the other side of the room sat his half-brother, alone. He had his arms folded over his chest and he sat staring at the door to the room that he shared with the miko. “Come on Kagome, it can't take this long to change.”

The miko's muffled voice floated through the heavy oak door, “I'm looking for something. Just a moment more, okay?”

“Feh, whatever.” He crossed his legs onto the chair he sat upon. “Just don't take too much longer.”

Sesshomaru sighed, taking a seat at the table away from his brother. He did not care what his brother's problems were with the miko, simply that they would stop and stop soon.

The door opened and Kagome entered, sitting down across from Inuyasha. She wore a different outfit than he had seen her wear before. She wore a pink top and a pair of pants that befuddled Sesshomaru. “I was looking for these cards. Please, let's play. I'm so bored, Inuyasha. Sango and Miroku aren't here to play.”

“Feh. Whatever.” He uncrossed his arms, and turned to face Kagome over the table.

Kagome smiled, her hands shuffling the objects in her hands. She gave Inuyasha seven cards and herself seven cards then set the cards on the table, spreading them out. Sesshomaru felt curious about the strange activity they were participating in, easing himself slowly towards their side of the table. He didn't want to give it away that he wanted to know what they were doing so he eased himself from one chair into the next.

Kagome said, “You go first, Inuyasha.”

“Alright.” Inuyasha had a scowl on his face. He looked at the objects in his hands, his tongue slightly sticking out as he thought, “Kagome, do you have any fives?”

Kagome shook her head. “Nope. Go fish.”

Sesshomaru arched an eyebrow. Fish? Where would his brother find fish? They had crossed one river a day and a half ago to get here. Just what was he supposed to do? Sesshomaru watched as Inuyasha sighed and picked up an object from those spread on the table top.

Kagome looked at the cards in her hands carefully, then asked, “Inuyasha, do you have any queens?” Now they were looking for royalty? What type of activity was this?

Inuyasha growled softly. He took an object from his hands, giving it to the miko. She accepted it and laid the two odd objects down, two pictures showing. Sesshomaru eased into another chair closer to the couple trying to see just what these odd objects were.

Kagome adjusted the objects in her hands. She asked, “Do you have any aces?”

“Nope. Go fish, wench.”

Again, Sesshomaru wondered about the fish, where they would find fish and what it had to do with the activity they were taking part in. It made no sense to him. So far they looked like shiny pieces of paper and that there were no fish really involved at all. He eased another chair over, curiosity winning over his indifference.

Inuyasha glanced over his objects. He asked, “Do you have any sixes?” Kagome gave him an object and Inuyasha placed them down onto the table. He asked, “Do you have any tens?”

Kagome shook her head. “Nope. Go fish.”

Sesshomaru eased another chair over, closer to the miko now. He looked over the objects in her hands, curious as to what they were. Because he wasn't anticipating it or had paid no mind to the warning growl from his brother, he felt himself flung backwards out of the chair and onto the floor, with his brother's angry face above his. Inuyasha snarled, “Just what are you doing?”

Sesshomaru glared, half angry at Inuyasha for such insolence and half angry at himself for letting it occur. He tightly controlled his voice, “Half-breed, I suggest you remove yourself from my person.”

Kagome pushed her way in between the two brothers. “It's okay, Inuyasha. I think he just wanted to know what we were doing. It's not something to start a fight over.” She gasped when Inuyasha grasped her tightly around the waist, pulling her flush against his chest.

Inuyasha growled, “Get that close again, jackass, and I'll make sure you get to know Tetsusaiga personally. Just what do you think you were doing sneaking up on Kagome like that?”

“I do not sneak, little brother. I also have no interest in your miko. You should, however, listen to her.” He stood, brushing his clothing off from the tussle.

Kagome clenched her hands into fists. She pointed a finger directly into Sesshomaru's face. “You two are exactly the same! I have a name, you jerk!” She stomped off to the room that she and Inuyasha would share, slamming the door.

Sesshomaru glanced from the door the young woman had disappeared behind towards his brother. Inuyasha simply crossed his arms, glaring at him. He said, “Smart one, jackass. She'll be like that the rest of the night.”


During the night, Kagome awoke to hear a crash from the main room. She noticed that Inuyasha wasn't in his place on the floor. Opening her bag, she pulled a flashlight, tip-toeing into the main room. She glanced around the door frame, flashing the light over a cursing Inuyasha as he jumped up and down clutching a foot. “Are you alright? What are you doing out here so late at night?”

“Just fucking peachy. Why the hell did they have to put this huge piece of shit furniture in the middle of the room? Why couldn't they be like every other damn place we visit? I'm thirsty, that's all.” He rubbed his toe. “Would you quit flashing that stupid stick light at me?”

Rin stood in the doorway, rubbing an eye. She yawned. “What's going on Kagome-sama?”

Kagome glared at Inuyasha, placing a finger to her lips. She crossed the room, the flashlight beam dancing on the floor as she walked. She bent down, looking at Rin. “What are you doing up so late, Rin? Shouldn't you be in bed?” She gently placed her hand on Rin's shoulder. “Inuyasha's just clumsy sometimes, that's all. It's not a big deal. Why don't you go back to bed before Sesshomaru wonders why you're not asleep.”

Inuyasha sputtered from across the room. “I heard what you said, Kagome. I'm not clumsy.”

Kagome glared at him. She said, “I'm going to go and get Rin tucked back into bed.” She took Rin's hand, turning her back on Inuyasha.

“You can't go in there! My brother is in there and you can't go in there alone!”

Kagome sighed. “I won't be alone. I'll be with Rin.”

“Don't go in there without me!”

Kagome clenched her teeth. She said, “I'm going to make sure that Rin gets back to sleep. Inuyasha, sit!”

Kagome was about to walk into the room Rin and Sesshomaru shared when she saw the Demon Lord standing in the doorway. She gasped. “I was just coming to get Rin tucked back into bed.”

Sesshomaru didn't acknowledge her. He said, “Half-breed, what is all the commotion all about?”

Kagome replied for him before a fight could break out. “He ran into the table when he came to get some water.”

Sesshomaru looked down at her and Rin. He glanced over at his brother as he picked himself up. “I suggest you look where you are going next time, little brother.” Rin eased her hand out of Kagome's. She ran to Sesshomaru, her arms held open as she yawned. Sesshomaru wordlessly picked the small child up with his arm, turning his back upon both Kagome and Inuyasha.

Kagome lifted the forgotten flashlight in her hands, accidentally flashing it upon Sesshomaru. This caused him to turn around. Kagome sighed. “Oops. I forgot I had it.”

“I told you to turn that stupid stick light off,” Inuyasha huffed.

“Miko. Bring that stick over here.”

Kagome froze, then she clenched her fists. “My name is Kagome. Not miko, not girl, not wench. It's Kagome.”

Sesshomaru arched an eyebrow at the young girl. “Bring me the stick.”

She looked over at Inuyasha, her eyes pleading with him to do something before she complied. Sesshomaru set Rin back down onto the floor, gently guiding her towards the door before holding the strange object in his hand. He pressed the strange upraised portion of the stick and the light disappeared. He pressed again and the light came back.

Kagome sighed. “It's called a flashlight.”

“Flashlight.” He tasted the word, unsure of what it exactly meant. “What is it made of?”

This worried Kagome further. She stuttered a moment. “It's made of, well,” she rubbed the back of her neck, then sighed. “Inuyasha, I can't explain a flashlight.”

Inuyasha's eyes went wide. He charged over towards the two, ripping the object from his brother's hand. “It doesn't matter what it's made of, bastard.” Inuyasha slipped an arm around Kagome and led her back to their room before much more could be discussed about his disturbing the peace or of Kagome's strange object. Sesshomaru stared at the two in the darkness, his gold eyes reflecting the moon from the window.

Kagome protested once they returned to their room, the door closed, “Inuyasha! He wasn't asking anything too alarming. I was just having a hard time explaining it!”

Inuyasha growled, “And if you had to tell him the truth, what do you think he might have done? Kagome, we can't trust him that much. He's still Sesshomaru.”

“Inuyasha, I don't think he'd really do anything if he knew. Why would he care where I came from besides that he was curious about what a flashlight was?” She sat back down onto the bed, easing back into the blankets.

“I don't care what you say, I still don't entirely trust him. So far he's not done a whole lot but that's now. What happens when we finally get back home and he decides to act then?” Inuyasha sat down by the door, Tetsusaiga held firmly in his lap. “It doesn't benefit him to do anything now, but later---”

“I think you're exaggerating a little, Inuyasha,” She yawned. “I'm going to go to sleep. I'm tired and we have an awfully big day tomorrow.”