Crossover Fan Fiction / InuYasha Fan Fiction ❯ The Journey to the City of Endless Night ❯ Chapter Eight ( Chapter 8 )

[ X - Adult: No readers under 18. Contains Graphic Adult Themes/Extreme violence. ]

Chapter Eight

Around the campfire after everyone had finished their baths and supper had been served, Belgarath began to explain the situation that they now found themselves. Sesshomaru sat near the quiet mate of Polgara's, named Durnik. He listened intently to what was being said, hoping that what was brought forth might actually shed light on where they were and what was going on.

Belgarath remarked, “First of all, I suppose we should start with the beginning as that is a place that will help us understand where we are now. A very, very long time ago an explosion occurred in the stars. It tore the fabric of the Universe, dividing its Purpose into two. What was once singular became plural. Everything had been going into one distinct direction until this explosion, and now suddenly there were two paths. We call one that of Light, which is the Purpose we follow, and the second the Dark, which is what collectively we call what the other side follows.” He paused, drinking from a tankard. “Do you follow so far?”

Sesshomaru saw Kagome nod slowly from the corner of his eye. His brother had yet to return and he sighed. All of this information his brother needed to know as well and he was not here to listen. He nodded his understanding as well, waiting for the old man to continue. Sesshomaru saw Rin from the corner of his eye, combing her hair slowly with a comb that Kagome had provided. He smiled slightly before returning to the conversation at hand.

Belgarath continued, “To understand what is going on within these two Purposes, we had to gather Pro
phecies. We rely on these to find out what is supposed to happen to advance our own Purpose. Our primary prophecies are the Mrin Codex and the Darine Codex. It's how we got the funny names you all have.”

Polgara interjected, “We usually rely on the twins, Beltira and Belkira, to do most of the heavy reading and interpretation of what the Prophecy is telling us. They stay in the Vale close to our Master, hence the reason they're not along. Father and I tend to get to run around and do the dirty work they uncover.”

Belgarath nodded. “We've all studied it, but because their minds are so interlinked they can read and communicate any thought almost simultaneously so it's in a sense two brains for the price of one.” He drank again. “Anyways, moving along so we can get our demon friends up to speed,” he looked around, “speaking of which, where did that dog eared one run off to?”

Sesshomaru saw his brother return, sitting as far from Kagome as possible. He rolled his eyes slightly, feeling frustrated at his brother's actions. All day long the half-breed had been irritating and he knew that what Inuyasha really wanted to do was be with Kagome. He turned his attention back to Belgarath as Rin quietly climbed into his lap to doze.

Belgarath cleared his throat. “Well, now, let's catch everyone up on what's what. The peoples we'll mostly be encountering from here on out are Angaraks. Earlier I told you of the five tribes. We'll mostly run into Malloreans and Thulls. Within our traveling party we have one Mallorean, who just happens to be Emperor of Mallorea.” He winked, his sharp blue eyes sparkling in the fire light.

Silk interrupted, “The rest of us are pretty much Alorns, except for our dear Rivan Queen. In the Alorns we have the Rivans, the Chereks, the Algars, and the Drasnians, of which I am one.”

Belgarath nodded, finishing off his tankard and handing it to Polgara to refill. He commented, “The rest of the peoples are the Ulgos, the Arends, the Nyissans, the Marags, the Sendars, and the Tolnedrans, which Ce'Nedra is. We probably won't be running into any of them in the near future. They're all part of the West and we're most definitely heading East.” He accepted his tankard from Polgara.

Beldin snorted. “All well and good, but I don't think you've helped them any. Belgarath, you block head, you always try to show off how clever you are.” He scratched an arm pit, belching. “It's like this, something was screwed up, that explosion in the sky, and now we're here to fix it. Apparently you're all mixed up in the whole mess, otherwise you wouldn't have names in the Mrin and Darine. Think you can understand all of that or do I have to pound it into yer pretty demon heads?”

Sesshomaru arched an eyebrow at the dwarf's comments. He noticed his brother's head slightly cocked to one side, then Kagome joined him and whispered in his ear. Inuyasha nodded his head that he understood.

Belgarath glared at Beldin. “You're pretty full of yourself sometimes, too, you know. You seem to think highly of your whole philosophical debates, more than I care to think about them.” He rubbed his short white beard. “What I don't understand is Kagome's name in the Prophecies. I get the rest, to a point, I suppose. They're common sense. Kagome's confuses me though.”

Sesshomaru heard a low growl come from his brother and he wondered what caused his little brother to grow so defensive. Sesshomaru asked, “What was her name again?”

“The Priestess that Transcends Time,” Belgarath replied. “I just don't get it. What does that mean. I understand yours as 'The Dog that Speaks Little' and his as 'The Dog Protector,' and even the little girl's as 'The Demon Conscience,' but hers baffles me. Pol, did the twins say anything else when they talked to you before we met with Cho-Hag?”

Polgara shook her head. “No, Father. Nothing. I don't know if they've found any keys to that yet.” She held a sock in her hands, mending it.

Sesshomaru saw his brother grip tightly onto the small miko. What ever they were hiding he intended to find out, simply because she had done so many strange things he hadn't understood. He, however, knew enough not to drive his brother into a corner by pursuing the topic. He asked, “And what were your names in this Prophecy?” It would, hopefully, divert their attention from Kagome. The less he had to see of his brother being overprotective the better.

Belgarath sighed. “I suppose we'll find out when we're meant to.” He shook his head. “Oh, you asked a question. Well, in the Prophecy, Garion for instance, was known as 'The Chosen One'. Hettar was known as the 'Horse Lord', Silk as 'The Guide', Durnik as 'The Man With Two Lives,' Zakath as 'The Empty One,' and Ce'Nedra as 'The Queen of the World'.”

Beldin grunted. “You forgot yours, you dunce. You're known as 'Ancient and Beloved'. How fitting for the first part.”

“Beldin, do you have to be so obnoxious, oh brother of mine. Might I remind you that you're six thousand years old?” He glared. “If you're not going to be helpful, just don't talk.”

“I was just trying to help yer mighty sorcerership along.” He winked.

“Beldin, that dialect died out thousands of years ago. Don't.” He passed a hand over his eyes. “It's a good thing it did, too, if you ask me.” He sighed. “We are left with one big obstacle we must get past. How do we get up the Escarpment without adding months onto our trip? I think Zakath here might like to actually get to his kingdom before he has none.”

Zakath nodded. “Yes, very much so.”

Belgarath sighed. “Not only do we find out who is important through the Prophecies, we also are told of EVENTS that will occur at a certain time. Our Prophecy has a certain set of rules we must follow to receive our outcome, and theirs has their rules. One EVENT was when Garion faced Torak. That EVENT had to take place at a certain time, with certain individuals present with certain smaller events that equaled into the one huge EVENT. Hence Durnik's name of 'The Man With Two Lives'.”

Sesshomaru looked over the plain man. His serious features held a slight blush, and he shyly looked down towards the campfire. Sesshomaru looked back towards Belgarath again as he continued, “The EVENT had been in the making since that explosion, or so we thought, because we're still doing things after that EVENT, as you can see. In EVENTS, The Child of Light and The Child of Dark meet. They're the main instrument for the two Purposes at any given time. These two Purposes cannot simply meet any other way or directly because if they do, they will either destroy the Universe or rend another Purpose into being.”

Inuyasha cocked his head to one side. “So what you're saying is something went bang some place and now it has to be fixed?”

“Precisely.” Belgarath nodded. “That was tedious. We still have to find a way up the Escarpment. I'd rather not have a huge amount of noise from translocation with those horses. It's not that I'm afraid we'll have a massive amount of Grolims on our tails, I just would rather avoid it if at all possible. I guess we'll just have to be burdensome about the whole affair and find a way to climb up to the other side, that is after we climb down.” He stood. “Well, now that's over I'm going to find the rest of that ale keg. Coming, Beldin?”

Polgara rolled her eyes. “Father, please. Must you and uncle act like such fools out in the middle of no where?”

Belgarath winked. “Don't have anything else to do. Why not?”

Sesshomaru tuned out the rest of the conversation, looking down at Rin. She sat, eyes watching everyone else. She clung tightly to him, more than normal. That made him think of the situation from earlier in the day. Rin had been placed in such danger and to think it had been the miko and his half-breed brother who had stepped in to save her. The way they acted perplexed him greatly. They had not traveled together before so their reactions made little sense to him. They were not his pack and he and Rin were not a part of theirs, yet they stood their ground to protect her. He wanted to know why.

Glancing over the fire he saw Kagome and Inuyasha sitting across from one another, playing the same game he had seen them play in the suite at the Stronghold. From Inuyasha's expression, he gathered that his little brother was losing and badly. Sesshomaru remembered loathing Inuyasha, but most of it had been a farce until it became habit. He had built a reason for hating his younger half-breed brother, when all that had existed before was indifference. Now he wasn't sure what he thought. Tetsusaiga had allured him, but he didn't really need it, and he had never really wanted it, either. It was just another reason to add on to the list of why he should hate Inuyasha. And, as Sesshomaru thought back through that hate, he couldn't remember exactly when or why it had begun.

A shout interrupted his thoughts and he saw Inuyasha shake his fist at Kagome before crossing his arms and turning away. Apparently what ever game they had been playing Inuyasha had finally lost. Sesshomaru rolled his eyes. If his brother wasn't ogling the young miko, he was fighting with her, and when he wasn't doing either of those he was busy avoiding her. It seemed the cycle had begun all over again. This behavior had to stop and it had to stop soon. Sesshomaru could not travel with his brother for much longer if this was going to be the daily routine.

The little rat faced man sat down, inquiring about the game, which Kagome began to teach to him. Sesshomaru did not trust this man; he seemed shifty and devious. Traits, especially in humans, he despised. Inuyasha turned back around, demanding that he be allowed to play again, too. Kagome gave in and let him play. Sesshomaru heard her say, “Go fish.” That strange game again, and here they were by a river, yet no one seemed to actually fish when they were told. What was the purpose of this game if they did not do as it asked?

A rustle of skirts brought him back to his side of the fire and he turned, looking up at Polgara. She smiled at the sleeping child. “How is Rin?”

“Tired.” Sesshomaru attempted to puzzle out the woman in front of him. Although he knew she was not mortal like other humans and had power that he did not understand, he could not comprehend how a human could become so powerful. He saw her eyes soften from gray to a deep violet.

Polgara nodded. “I'm glad she's okay from the scare earlier today.” She sighed. “I was afraid we'd run into something like that. I'm afraid we might be running into some very brutal things as we travel along.”

Sesshomaru turned his attention back towards his brother and Kagome. The rat faced man seemed to have a smug look on his face and he suspected that the end results would involve Inuyasha growing angry and Kagome sitting him. “That man sitting with my brother and the miko, does he always do those things?”

“Silk? Why do you ask?”

“He seems devious and untrustworthy.”

She laughed, its rich musical sound filling the night air. “So you've noticed that our dear Kheldar is not trustworthy. We love him very much but we don't trust him what so ever.” She paused. “He, because of his devious nature, knows ways out of sticky situations and back alleys to keep us hidden at times. He's also a spy, one of the best that the Drasnian Intelligence service has ever produced. It's just his nature to always be plotting one thing or another, be it a way out after a murder or a way to cheat in a game, as I suspect he's doing right now.” She sighed. “I keep telling him that his mouth will get him in trouble. I should tell him his cheating will. Will your brother hurt him if he should find out that in the short time they've been playing that game Kagome taught them that he's marked the cards?”

Sesshomaru pondered this and then replied, “If my brother should grow angry, the little miko will subdue him.”

“Subdue him?”

“The beads around my half-brother's neck are there because of a spell. She speaks the word and it subdues him.” Sesshomaru looked down at Rin as she shifted, her chocolate eyes bleary with exhaustion. He adjusted his arm around her, letting her settle down and close her eyes to go to sleep.

Polgara smiled. “She is a sweet child.”

Sesshomaru curtly nodded his response. He watched Inuyasha stand up, shaking his fist at the rat faced man, shouting. Then a crash resounded through the camp. Polgara looked over. “What did she do?”

“She said sit.”

“Sit?” She arched an eyebrow, sighing, “Kheldar better get away from there even if Kagome can control him.” She stood, crossing to the other side. “Silk, before you get hurt.”

Silk sat on the ground laughing wildly. He rolled from side to side, slapping his knee in delight at Inuyasha's predicament. His laughter was full of hoots and snorts as he began to lose his breath. Inuyasha struggled against the spell. “You won't be laughing for long!”

Kagome sighed. “Inuyasha!”

Inuyasha collapsed back to the ground. He growled but did not attack after the spell wore off. Sesshomaru sighed softly. The impatience of his little brother always got on his nerves. He looked back down at Rin, who opened an eye. “Sesshomaru-sama, why is Inuyasha-sama so angry?”

Sesshomaru shook his head. “He seems angry about a game.”

“Game?”

“The miko and Inuyasha were playing it.”

“Kagome-sama?”

“Yes.”< br>
“Why would he be angry with her?”

Sesshomaru sighed. “Rin, enough questions. If you are really interested go ask them.”

Rin crawled out of his lap, running over to Inuyasha and leaping into his lap just as he sat up. He grunted. “Oi. Just what do you think you're doing there, pup?” He ruffled her hair.

“Why are you and Kagome-sama fighting?” Rin looked up to his face.

“Ah, oh,” Inuyasha struggled. “We weren't really fighting, just playing.”

“Oh.” She hugged him, startling Inuyasha.

Sesshomaru watched as Inuyasha looked at him over the fire. He then let his expression soften and he hugged Rin back, his arms wrapping around her, a clawed hand rubbing her hair. “You still didn't answer my question, pup. Wouldn't Sesshomaru want you to be over there with him?”

“He told me to come over here to find out why you were fighting.” She yawned, placing her head onto his chest.

Kagome let loose the giggle she had been holding back. “Oh Inuyasha, you've really gotten yourself into a pickle now.”

Inuyasha glared at her. He didn't remove his arms from around the child. “I'm not going soft, so you can just stop laughing.”

Kagome sighed. “What ever you say, Inuyasha. We all believe you.”

Sesshomaru wasn't sure if he should feel jealousy at Rin's attention to Inuyasha or if he should feel amused by his reaction. He stood, crossing the clearing. Inuyasha glanced up. “Sesshomaru, I didn't expect her to fall asleep.”

“I'll take her now.” Sesshomaru leaned forward.

Inuyasha nodded, lifting the small child slowly so not to wake her. He eased Rin at Sesshomaru, who picked her up, tucking her to his shoulder. He nodded to Kagome and Inuyasha. “I suggest you not play with that thief again.”




Inuyasha stood, stretching from his spot in front of the tent he shared with Kagome. Really, he didn't share the tent as he refused to enter it with her, so here he was, out in the cool night air alone. He grew thirsty so Inuyasha wandered towards the center of camp where the water was being kept. Along the way, he saw his brother standing alone, looking up to the sky. Sesshomaru's voice cut through the quiet night, “Half-breed, you do not need to stand guard with me.”

“I was thirsty, as if it's any of your business, asshole.” He also looked up at the stars. “I didn't want to bother Kagome for some so I came out here.”

Sesshomaru remained silent for a few minutes, then said, “Kagome.”

“Yeah, what about her?” Inuyasha turned, looking towards him, ears flattened.

“Little brother, I have no interest in the miko.” He looked down from his gaze of the night sky. “But, I have noticed something. You have all but taken her for your mate. Why have you held back?”

Inuyasha growled. “When did you get so nosy about my affairs?”

Sesshomaru looked back up. “It was only an observation.”

“Observe someone else.” Inuyasha crossed his arms.

“Does it have anything to do with the undead miko?”

Inuyasha growled. “Leave Kikyo out of this.”

Sesshomaru sighed. “I do not mean to offend.”

“You're doing a damn good job.”

“She's a demon now, you do realize this, do you not? She's not the Kikyo you knew. I have spoken with her in the past. All she feels is contempt for you and everyone else.”

“What's your point in bringing up what's none of your business?” Inuyasha clenched his fists. “And you better have a good answer or my fist will meet your jaw.”

“My point is that you have Kagome. She, while being human, would not be a bad mate for you and is it not a portion of her soul animating Kikyo's clay body?”

“Still walking on dangerous ground, bastard.” Inuyasha snarled.

Sesshomaru looked towards him. “Don't be a fool.”

“Now what the hell is that supposed to mean?”

“My other point is you cannot mate with the dead.” Sesshomaru looked up towards the sky. “Was it not Naraku who truly killed Kikyo? You truly do not owe her anything beyond his destruction.”

Inuyasha jumped away from him. “You don't know anything.”

“Remember what I said, Inuyasha. Kagome is far more than adequate even for a high class demon.” Sesshomaru turned his back, heading towards his tent to check on Rin. “Do try to sleep.”

Inuyasha watched as his brother walked away, fuming at his brother's attempt at brotherly advice. “Who does he think he is? Like he eve knows the situation,” Inuyasha remarked in a crouch on the ground. He then sat down, his chin in his hands. He looked down at the dirt, scraping a random design into it with a claw. He wasn't sure how he should take Sesshomaru's advice, but he had at least thought about some of these things in the past. He didn't want to admit it, but he did think about it from time to time.

Inuyasha stood, heading in the direction his brother had. He was looking down as he walked, his ears drooped. He still felt guilty for what had happened to Kikyo, but what if his brother had been right, that to pay his debt he only had to destroy Naraku? But he had promised to go to Hell with her. What of that? He had to mull it over.

As he continued, he didn't notice until it was too late that someone was on the path. He ran into them, looking up into Polgara's violet eyes. “Want to talk about it, dear?”

Inuyasha crossed his arms. “What business is it of yours?”

“None what so ever, but you've been muttering to yourself for the past ten minutes.” She pulled her cloak around herself tightly.

Inuyasha looked down, his shoulders slumping. “Fine.”

Polgara nodded, leading him towards the fire left up during the night. They sat down. “Why don't you start at the beginning?”

Inuyasha sighed. He then told her about how Naraku devised a plot to turn him and Kikyo against one another to the steal the Sacred Jewel for himself and for who knows what else. He said, “I feel that it's my fault that Kikyo died. If I hadn't wanted the jewel, she'd have lived and not suffered.”

Polgara sighed. “Dear, the only one at fault here seems to be this Naraku. He's the one who really killed her.” She put a hand onto his clawed one. “Don't stress yourself over survivors guilt. The Kikyo you mention today seems nothing more than an evil will attempting to do what could possibly be considered impossible here. She died and if you've told the story right, Kagome is this Kikyo's reincarnation, although very much her own person. You owe more to the living than to the dead.” She smiled slightly. “I know you're confused.”

Inuyasha looked up. He said, “Sesshomaru said a lot of the same things.”

“Perhaps he's right. You do owe Kikyo, but not with your life. Your obligation to her is to rid the world of this Naraku, a demon, is he not?”

“He's half, like me. He still has that bandit's human heart beating in him.” Inuyasha growled. “I'm nothing like him. He's a monster who plays games with people's emotions and manipulates them.”

Polgara nodded. “I understand.” She stood. “Do think about what I've said, dear. Kagome does love you and you wouldn't want to make the same mistake twice. Don't take too long to admit it to her.” She placed her hand on his chin. “Besides, I've spent more time than I can count making matches between young people. I'll see you in the morning. We'll have a long day ahead of us to reach Thull Mardu.”

Inuyasha watched as she disappeared back into her tent. He sat staring at the fire for awhile, mulling over the conversations. Maybe they were both right. A sound disturbed his thoughts and then the Godslayer spoke, “I see Aunt Pol's been giving you advice. She's very good at that. I would resist what'd she tell me but in the end I'd always end up doing what she suggested.” He smiled ruefully.

“What is this, give Inuyasha advice night?” He shoved his chin into his hand. “It's not anyone's business. If my idiot brother hadn't stuck his imperious nose where it doesn't belong, I'd not have all this pestering.”

Garion laughed. “I only advise those in desperate need of knowing how to be king. Not much more. I leave Aunt Pol to that. I only suggest you at least think about what she said.” He shook his head. “You and me, we're not all that different, really. We both face a destiny that we can't escape. Mine for the most part has been met. Yours you'll come to.”

“What's your point?” Inuyasha said, glaring.

“My point is that it seems this Naraku fellow you face is the one that will test your abilities.” Garion sighed. He looked up towards the sky. “I had to face a God and truth be told, I was afraid of him. I've never felt such fear. Yet, I discovered that he was terrified of me and in particular my sword.”

“Anyone with a brain should be scared of that thing.”

“Yes, I suppose so.” He looked back down. “I suspect your enemy Naraku also has tasted fear when it concerns you and your companions.”

“He always has others to do his dirty work and he's always hiding.”

“Ah, yes. He's quite afraid of you then. If he wasn't, he wouldn't hide behind all these smoke screens.”

Inuyasha snorted. “He's just a coward.”

“Sounds like it.” Garion sighed. “Before Ce'Nedra wakes up and looks for me I should head back. If she sees you, she'll insist on braiding that hair.”

Inuyasha cringed. “I think I'll go back and talk with Kagome.”

Garion nodded. “Good luck. What ever you do, don't take advice from Silk. He'll tell you almost the exact opposite.”

Inuyasha glared. “I wasn't going to take advice from that little cheat.”

Inuyasha watched as the Godslayer went back to his tent before he stood up. He started back towards the tent he shared with Kagome, hoping she hadn't woken while he was out. He wasn't sure if he'd wake her to talk because he didn't want her to be too tired. He pushed the tent flap apart, looking inside before he entered. Where Kagome was supposed to be was empty and Inuyasha looked around, wondering where she went. “Just what does she think she's doing going off some where in the night in some strange country?”

He stood, scratching an ear when he caught Kagome's voice. She seemed peeved. “You hentai! I don't care who you think you are, even if you are Inuyasha's brother!”

Inuyasha cocked his head to one side in confusion. Just what was his brother doing to make Kagome say something like that? He headed towards the sound of her voice. When he came upon the clearing, he saw Kagome standing on her tip toes, her fists balled at her sides. She looked as if she was going to sit Sesshomaru if she had the power.

“Don't be foolish. You should not wander too far from this camp,” Sesshomaru said, remaining calm.

“I had to use the little girl's bush, not wander off to the other side of the planet. Can't I do that without people watching me?” She shook a finger in his face.

Inuyasha watched, hoping he'd not have to save her from his brother's wrath.

Sesshomaru's expression did not change, but he did grip her wrist, gently placing it back at her side. “I have no interest in viewing your backside. However, it is my duty to make sure you are not harmed and arrive safely to camp.”

Kagome snorted. She backed away, shaking a finger at him. “Next time don't just appear like that. You nearly gave me a heart attack.”

Inuyasha and Sesshomaru both asked simultaneously, “Heart attack?”

Kagome jumped. “Inuyasha! Sit!”

Inuyasha found himself in the dirt. He looked up, noticing that his brother looked puzzled as well.

Kagome said, “Both of you, don't sneak up on me like that.” She sat down.

Inuyasha sat up and crossed his arms. “What's a heart attack? How does a heart attack you?”

Kagome sighed. “Your heart can, um, well if it stops beating or beats too fast that can be called a heart attack.”

Inuyasha sat next to her. He looked over at Sesshomaru. “I've got her. Why don't you go see what's going on elsewhere. Who knows what might be out there.”

Sesshomaru nodded. “Next time, miko, I suggest you not shake a finger in my face.”

Kagome stood, pointing at him. “It's Kagome! Not miko! Gah! You men are all alike.” She stomped off towards the tents.

Inuyasha sighed. “Nice one, asshole. Now she'll sit me if I ask her if she wants more blankets let alone if we can talk. You're lucky she can't sit you.”

“So you're going to take my advice?”

“No. I'm taking Naraku's. Duh, stupid.” Inuyasha stood up, brushing off. “I better go see that she gets there alright before she wakes everyone else.” He trudged towards the tents, fuming over his brother's stupidity. He did wonder, though, why Sesshomaru had bothered to protect Kagome when he knew his brother did not like humans, except for Rin of course. “Whatever. I'm not going to waste time trying to figure him out.” He pushed the tent flap back, entering.

Kagome lay with her back to him. She wasn't asleep. “Just who does he think he is anyways? Can't he use a girl's name?” She turned looking towards Inuyasha. She then flipped back down onto the ground. “I'm still mad at you.”

Inuyasha felt his ears droop. He sat down in his corner of the tent. “Look, I didn't mean to startle you.” He drew the blankets up around himself.

Kagome sat up, looking over at him. “You didn't?”

“No. I didn't. I only wanted to talk to you and then you said that thing about hearts attacking people and I got curious.” He lay back onto his spot in the tent.

“Talk? About what?” Kagome inched over towards him.

Inuyasha tensed up. Now that he was alone with Kagome, he felt nervous. Looking into her face, he saw her brown eyes fill with questions. Again, he felt inadequate, not suitable for someone like her. He looked down at his hands, clenching them into fists. Inuyasha looked back up towards her, his mouth running dry. She looked beautiful with tousled hair and her pink pajamas on. “It's not important, really.” He felt flushed again, struggling to stop his body from physically reacting to her close proximity.

“It had to be something, Inuyasha. You've been acting weird all day long. What's going on?” Kagome looked expectant.

Inuyasha looked away. He was certain that she couldn't accept a half-breed like him, no matter what Polgara said. Why should she? He squirmed in his seat, trying to hide the fact that he was becoming very aroused by her presence. Her scent filled his nostrils, the soft lingering fragrance of the strange flower that smelled of honey, her underlying musk, and the strange smell of apples mixed all together. Inuyasha felt giddy, and he rather than answer her scooted away before he did something he regretted. He couldn't do that to her.

Kagome moved closer, reaching a hand out. “Don't you feel good, Inuyasha? What is bothering you?”

Inuyasha panted slightly, trying to keep his emotions under control. He felt it grow more difficult to hide his obvious erection as she leaned towards him. Inuyasha moved, backpedaling on his feet as he searched for the tent flap. It didn't matter the advice his brother and Polgara had tried to give him. Now that he was alone with her in tight quarters all the things he knew he should talk about with her flew out of his head. Inuyasha finally found the tent flap and he scrambled out of it, running as fast as he could to the other side of camp. The last thing he heard was, “Inuyasha! Wait! What is going on? Did I do something wrong?”

Once Inuyasha reached the other side of camp, he sat down, panting heavily from the run and from his growing urge. He couldn't inflict that upon her, no matter what anyone said. He shouldn't have taken their advice. Getting so close to her had nearly driven him wild. He slowly slid a hand underneath his clothes, hoping that if he relieved himself he'd put an end to the difficulties he was having with Kagome lately. Ever since he had been thrust into dealing with his brother on a daily basis, the tentative claim on Kagome that Inuyasha held had shifted. He felt confused, conflicted, and nervous. Common sense told him that Sesshomaru had no interest in Kagome as a mate, but his instincts warned him incessantly that his brother was a rival male.

Closing his eyes, Inuyasha moved his hand slowly, thinking what it would be like to be accepted by Kagome. Maybe, just maybe she'd be able to accept a half-breed like himself as a mate. For now he didn't want to feel the rejection, nor did he want to inflict that stigma on her. It wasn't fair to her. However, he couldn't get her scent out of his nostrils, or her face out of his mind. The bed tousled hair invaded his mind and he felt himself grow harder at the thought of mating with her. Inuyasha fought the urge to return to the tent and simply do just that. He couldn't, he wouldn't, and there was nothing anyone could say about it.

Just as he was going to finish and finally relieve himself of the sexual frustration he had felt the past few days since arriving in this strange country, he heard Kagome's step behind him. He whipped his hand back out, his ears down. Even doing something like this alone had to taint her. Inuyasha whimpered, wishing that she would have left him be. He drooped his ears, knowing that if he kept running she'd eventually find him.

“Inuyasha, what's wrong?” She sat down slowly a few feet away.

Inuyasha glanced over his shoulder at her. He sighed. “It's nothing. Don't worry about it. Why don't you go back to the tent and get some sleep. I hear it's going to be a hard climb up the side of that cliff. I don't need you playing the weak human on me.”

Kagome looked down into the grass. She sounded disappointed when she remarked, “Okay. But you should get some sleep, too.”

“Feh. I'm not a weak human. I'll be fine.” He remained crouched, not wanting her to see anything that might disgust her. Inuyasha saw the hurt in her eyes as he pushed her away. But it was for her sake that he did. He didn't have the heart yet to follow through with his brother's advice. Not now. He wasn't ready and he wasn't sure if he'd ever be ready to admit anything like this to her.

Kagome stood up, looking over her shoulder at him. “You can talk to me anytime you want, I promise.” She walked back towards the camp, slowly returning to the tent. He watched her, before collapsing back into the dirt.