Crossover Fan Fiction / InuYasha Fan Fiction ❯ The Journey to the City of Endless Night ❯ Chapter Nine ( Chapter 9 )

[ X - Adult: No readers under 18. Contains Graphic Adult Themes/Extreme violence. ]

Chapter Nine

They reached the Great Escarpment in the late morning. The gorge before them yawned in the middle of the earth as grassland melted into rocky outcrops. Finding a path down the cliff face to the bottom of the ravine would take effort and careful climbing. It did not help that the horses would impede any attempt to quickly cross to the other side. Kagome sighed as she looked over towards Inuyasha from her perch atop her horse. He had avoided her the entire morning and she couldn't understand why he was behaving the way he was. Had she said something or done something to upset him?

Belgarath distracted her as he commented, “We're going to have to find a way down the cliff face. If we go a little over we should find a slope in the cliff that will allow us to travel down.” He sighed, his hand shielding his eyes. “It's too bad it'll take nearly the rest of the day to get down, not to mention how incredibly long it'll take to get back up the other side.”

Beldin approached Kagome at the edge of the cliff. “Frankly Belgarath is being ridiculous again. The Grolims haven't figured out how to do anything since Ctuchik willed himself out of existence and with the Emperor of Mallorea over there overbearing every other Angarak king I don't know why he's making such a fuss about translocation.” He scratched an arm pit. “As long as he doesn't let that overly noisy grandson of his do the translocation it'd not attract attention of anyone with any type of talent.”

Kagome nodded slightly, glancing at Inuyasha over the dwarf's shoulder. She looked away quickly when she realized his golden gaze was locked on her. She said, “What is translocation?” Anything to distract herself from Inuyasha's penetrating glance.

“Well, first you must understand the Will and the Word,” Beldin began, scratching his dingy beard.

Polgara sighed. “Uncle, you'll only make her eyes cross if you start there.” She joined them, sitting atop her own horse. “Dear, it's simple. What we could do to save a lot of time is to simply will everyone over there. Only problem with that is we'd make so much noise to those who are talented that they'd hear us for miles around.” She shook her head. “It wouldn't matter who did the translocation. Too many bodies to move and if we did it in spurts you'd have more noise.”

Beldin snorted. “Well, I'd say your bottom is growing quite fat upon that horse of yours, Pol.”

“Uncle, that's not very nice,” she chided him.

Kagome asked, “What is this noise?”

“It's a rushing sound when someone unleashes their Will. And it does not help that translocation is the loudest thing someone can do with our particular talent. Those who can use the Will and the Word can hear the sound it makes when another uses it. We're on the border of an Angarak country, and I know you don't think we're saving time, but uncle, do we really need to ask for hordes of Grolims on our tail?” She drew her cloak around her shoulders.

“Not my problem, really, now is it? You get your stupid animals down and up. I'm going to take the easy way out. I'll fly.” He pointed up to the sky. “I'll be on the other side before you can even get one horse down.” He belched. “I still say if you used translocation without letting that klutz over there do it we'd get away with it. Grolims in Mishrak ac Thull don't care what we do. They're too busy chasing down Thulls for religious observations.”

“I give up on arguing with you, uncle. It's a waste of breath. We'll be on the other side and on our way one way or the other. I just would rather not catch the attention of someone who might be looking for us. You never know what might be going on elsewhere.”

Kagome looked from one to the other, then sighed. She saw Inuyasha staring at her over his shoulder as he rode his horse away from the majority of the group. His gold eyes caught the sunlight, taking on an odd hue. She looked away, towards the cliff side, looking down. If they didn't have to climb down there, she would have found a way to find out what was bothering Inuyasha so much. Obviously something was upsetting him, the way he ran off last night, and the way he wanted to talk, yet said nothing. It didn't add up. What was he hiding, and why wouldn't he face her last night when she found him crouched on the ground?

She nearly jumped out of her saddle when a gruff voice asked, “You going to lead that dumb animal down or you going to ride my back?” Kagome looked over, seeing Inuyasha standing on the ground, sans horse. He had his arms crossed, and his golden eyes were diverted from her.

Kagome bit her lip slightly, seeing Polgara's bemused expression not far away. She looked back at the half-demon, his foot tapping on the ground slightly. “How will my horse get down?”

“Oi. How do you think? In the time it'll take this circus to get themselves down and back up, I'll have you and that stupid horse on the other side.” He had a cocky grin on his face, before it disappeared and he blushed.

Kagome rolled her eyes. “You're just being a show off now, aren't you?”

Inuyasha stuck his nose up into the air. “I'm getting bored, that's all. When the fuck are we going to do something besides travel and set up camp?” He twitched his ears, his impatience beginning to show. He also refused to look at her. “I want to see these damn demons. I'm so tired of talking.”

Kagome shook her head. She eased herself slowly off of her horse. “Alright, but what am I supposed to do when I'm on the other side? I'm going to be by myself with a horse till everyone else can get over there.”

Inuyasha rolled his eyes. “Wench, didn't that smelly one just say he'd be flying over there?”

Kagome glared at him. She crossed her arms, her gray travel dress hiding her hands. She turned her back on him. “Inuyasha, you can be such a jerk.” As she glanced over her shoulder, she saw Inuyasha's ears droop, his eyes become downcast, and his shoulders slump. Usually he was ready to start a major argument. It confirmed her suspicions that something was definitely bothering the hanyou. She turned around, asking, “What have you done with Inuyasha?”

He looked confused, his head cocked to one side. “What the fuck do you mean? I am Inuyasha. Who else would I be?” He looked away from her, not willing to make eye contact.

“You've been acting weird lately.” She took a step closer to him, her hand reaching out to touch his arm. She pulled it back as she saw him jump backwards, crouching slightly. “What is going on? Did I do something wrong?”

Inuyasha's head snapped up, his gold eyes fierce. “You did nothing wrong.” He crossed his arms, standing to his full height. “Are you going to let me take you to the other side or what? We don't have all day, damn it.” He turned his back on her, crouching down, his clawed hands cupped behind his back. “Well?”

She nearly shook her head in disbelief. A moment ago he was jumping away from her, acting odd. Now he was demanding that she get onto his back? What was going on in his head? Kagome slowly approached him, uncertain if he'd start acting bizarre again. She eased herself slowly onto his back, feeling his hands cup her as he adjusted so she wouldn't fall off. Then he leapt off the side of the cliff, bounding from boulder to boulder. Once he reached the bottom, they both looked up.

Inuyasha shook his head, dashing across the ravine bottom to the other side. He vaulted back up the cliff side, landing. Once they had reached the other side, Inuyasha shook Kagome off his back, leaping his way back to the other side. Kagome faintly heard Belgarath remark, “Now how do you get the horse over there?”

Inuyasha had his back turned to her. He pointed to the horse, then to the cliff face. He gestured, then went over, lifting the startled horse above his head, bounding back down the cliff face. He leapt up quickly, setting the frightened animal not far from Kagome. It took all of her strength to hold onto the reins of the frightened animal. She said, “Inuyasha, you scared the poor thing nearly to death.”

“Feh. It's on this side, isn't it?” He ran, leaping back down to the other side, leaving Kagome to stare with her mouth open.

A hawk landed, not far away, shimmering. In its place stood Beldin. “He's impatient, isn't he?” He scratched an arm pit. “Does he intend to carry every horse that way?”

Kagome shrugged. She said, “Well, he's bored. He just might if we let him.” She sighed. She knew he'd do anything to delay her from asking what was bothering him. If that meant taking each horse one by one, he'd do it.

Beldin sighed. “I don't care what Belgarath says. This is ridiculous.” Suddenly not far from them five horses appeared. She looked over to the other side, and sure enough five were missing from the herd. “There. Now we'll just have to make a few more join us. I'm not going to wait forever for these demons to come find us.”

Belgarath shouted across the ravine, “Beldin! You're going to make everyone know we're out here! Why make them wonder what's going through here?”

Beldin shouted back, “You dunce, I'm not making that much noise. Let's just get the damn horses over here and keep going. You're wasting time.” Five more horses joined them on their side of the cliff. “I'll get the horses over here, it's up to you to get yourselves over here.”

Belgarath fumed for a few more minutes. He stomped over towards the cliff face, shaking his fist. “Beldin, if you attract a bunch of Grolims on our tail I'll personally will you into a turnip, do you hear me?”

Kagome watched the two men fight. She held onto her horse, waiting for everyone else to join them. She saw Inuyasha cross his arms as horses kept disappearing from one side of the cliff to the other. Hopefully now that his diversion was taken away she'd manage to get what was bothering him out in the open.

Inuyasha grudgingly crossed the ravine. He stood far away from her and she began to wonder what she had done to offend him so. She slowly made her way towards him, hoping that he'd let her talk to him. As she approached, he continued to ignore her, climbing onto his horse. She looked up at him, confusion filling her eyes. Inuyasha was avoiding her and she needed to know why.

Crossing back towards her own horse, Polgara stood not far away. “Something the matter, dear?”

Kagome looked up at the raven haired woman, her white lock at the left brow catching the sunlight. She nodded, tears slowly welling up in her eyes. “He's avoiding me. Inuyasha's been weird ever since we went to that Stronghold. Did I do something wrong?”

Polgara smiled slightly. “No dear. He's just confused. Give him some time alone today. Let him come to you. If you corner him he'll only push you away more.” She winked. “Besides, if you don't act interested, he'll grow curious and if he grows curious he might get over what's bothering him and talk to you.”

“You think so?” She glanced over towards Inuyasha as he rode his horse. His brother was not far away, Rin resting in front of him. They seemed to be discussing something and Inuyasha's ears only flattened more as time went on. Hopefully it wouldn't erupt into a fight. A bored and confused hanyou was the worst.



As they trekked across the barren plain of Mishrak ac Thull, they heard horses charge towards them. Hettar stopped his horse, remarking, “We have five horses coming this way.”

Belgarath nodded. “We should get off the path before they see us. I would rather not meet any travelers. Not with our odd bunch.”

A man flew past the group, running furiously by, pushing anyone in his path out of the way. He was big and slow, yet he still churned the ground under his feet, fleeing something they hadn't seen pursuing him quite yet. Inuyasha stood in the path of the man next and he stuck his hand out, effectively stopping the fleeing man. He growled out, “Where are you going so fast?”

The man struggled, looking over his shoulder at the pursuers he knew couldn't be that far away. The horses crested the hill, their black horses coming to a stop. The men atop the horses wore black robes and steel masks that reflected the sunlight. The man croaked, “No! Let me go! Please!”

One of the men on horseback spoke, “You there, return the Thull to us.”

Inuyasha flattened his ears, snarling, “Why don't you make me?” He was not feeling particularly cooperative at the moment. He gripped the man in his clawed hand, thrusting him behind him. “What do you want him for, anyways?”

“That is none of your concern, unless you'd like to join him, that is,” another of the steel masked men remarked.

Belgarath stepped forward, his appearance of doze falling away as he assumed his full height. “Grolim, let us pass.”

The Grolims froze, glancing over the group in front of them. “Return the Thull to us and we shall decide if we will let you pass.”

“Don't be a fool, you know full well who I am,” Belgarath remarked, stepping closer to the horsemen.

“We know of your power and your daughter's power, Ancient Belgarath. We still would like what belongs to us to be returned,” hissed the voice of another robed man.

Inuyasha looked from the old man to the Thull in his grip. He slowly withdrew Tetsusaiga, keeping it in the rusty blade form for the time being. What ever these men wanted with this human, it didn't sound as if the man would enjoy it. “You never answered me. What do you want with this human?”

The Grolim's steel masked gaze locked onto Inuyasha. “He is to be presented in the Temple of Torak for the sacrifice. You are interfering with our religious observances.”

Polgara stepped forward, dropped the cloak from around her hair. She said, “Grolim, don't be foolish. If we wanted to power past you we could easily.” She stood defiant.

Inuyasha felt the man struggle again and before he could get a firm grip on him, the man broke free, fleeing towards the cliff they had crossed but an hour ago. He snarled, “You idiot!”

Two of the horse men circled around the group, charging towards the prey desperately trying to get away. Inuyasha saw them move and he quickly unhorsed them, kicking one in the head while he thrust Tetsusaiga at the other. The one he was about to plunge Tetsusaiga into disappeared before his eyes and he growled. So be it. He was furious and frustrated. He wanted nothing more than to fight and draw blood. Inuyasha fully transformed Tetsusaiga, scanning his eyes across the area, looking for the man that had disappeared. He'd have to do more than that to dodge Inuyasha.

Another Grolim charged towards Inuyasha and he jumped high into the air, twisting. That did it. The gall of this man to charge his horse at him caused him to snap. Just as he raised Tetsusaiga over his head, a hand gripped his wrist and he glared up towards his brother's cool gaze. “Get that fucking hand off of me or I'll cut that arm off, too.” He was in a rage and he really wasn't sure why.

His brother shook his head. “Half-breed, you're wasting energy.”

Inuyasha shrugged out of his brother's grasp. He snarled, “I think I'll make that determination. Get out of my way.”

Sesshomaru shook his head. “No. You will stop this now. You're acting like a pup.” He grabbed Inuyasha, keeping him from being able to break free.

Inuyasha struggled, trying to punch his brother. He growled, “Get off of me.”

Kagome's horse neared and she said, “Let him go.”

“Miko, that is not wise.”

“Either you let him go or I'll make sure you eat dirt with him.” She smiled slightly as Sesshomaru let go. “Inuyasha! Sit!” The crash resounded through the group and she shook her head. “What is the matter with you?”

Belgarath said, “We have no time for this. Beldin, what did I tell you earlier. You just had to go making all that noise.” He turned towards the Grolims. “Let us pass, forget about that particular Thull and we'll not let him kill you.”

Inuyasha growled into the dirt in front of his face. He panted slightly, feeling his rage slowly subside. It was the first thing Kagome had said to him since they had arrived on this side of the ravine. She had been avoiding him every since then, hadn't looked in his direction, either. He wondered if he had effectively pushed her away for good. It drove him crazy, more so than when she was too close. Inuyasha slammed his fist into the ground. “Damn it. Now she won't talk to me the rest of the day.”

“I see you have failed to take my advice after all, little brother.” Sesshomaru stood, looking down at him as he sat up.

“Back the fuck off, asshole. I do not need a lecture from you.” He crossed his arms, turning his back to his brother. Across the other side of the group Inuyasha could hear them arguing with the Grolims. Inuyasha stretched out on his side, Tetsusaiga lying in front of him, his hand holding his head up. He turned an ear to hear the conversation, remarking, “Wish they'd either do something so I could kill 'em or they'd go away.”

The Grolims remarked, “We shall leave when we have our property returned to us.”

Belgarath replied, “Do not be foolish. You do realize Belgarion is standing right there, don't you?”

Garion's face was grim, his sword's pommel sticking out from behind his shoulder. He stepped towards the five Grolims, glaring at them. “I suggest you let us pass.”

The five priests gasped slightly as Garion approached. They backed their horses up slowly. “We did not know it was he who passed this way.”

Zakath joined him. “I am sure you are aware of who I am. If you don't let us pass, I shall tell Urvon that you are impeding upon Malloreon matters by delaying us. I assume you would not wish for Urvon to send representatives of the Malloreon church to Mishrak ac Thull to assess the efficiency of your temple.” His voice was cold and calculated as he addressed the five.

The Grolims backed away more. “Kal Zakath, we were unaware of your presence here. We will return to the temple and select another sacrifice for our God.” They bowed slightly, nervous of what the Malloreon Emperor might do.

As soon as they rode off, Sesshomaru remarked, “Little brother, you still have not answered my question.”

Inuyasha glared over his shoulder, “I said leave me alone. I don't want to hear it.”

Sesshomaru shook his head. “Half-breed, I am growing tired of your frustration over the miko. What stopped you?”

Inuyasha saw Kagome sitting with the other ladies. She wasn't looking in his direction but talked with the red-haired girl. He sat up, sheathing Tetsusaiga. “Not that it's any of your business, jackass, but when I got into that tent with her last night, it took everything in my power not to just mate her. I can't do that to Kagome. I don't know if she'll accept me and I can't force her. I fled the tent and stayed as far away from her as I could. I just couldn't rut her like she didn't matter.”

Sesshomaru arched an eyebrow. “I see. So you held back because you were afraid of what you might do.”

“Yeah. I'm not pure enough for her, you know?” He looked down at the ground.

“You're a fool, Inuyasha. Do you not see how she looks at you?”

“Why do you care so much about how Kagome and I feel about one another?” Inuyasha asked his brother, his head cocked to one side.

“I do not care. I just am growing tired of the tension between the two of you. Either you talk to her and become her mate or you drop this whole over protective nature of yours when around her. I am fed up with the antics. You act like a pup around her when you overreact.” Sesshomaru stood, staring over his head into the distance.

“Oh, so you want this so we'll stop driving you nuts. I get it. The half-breed irritates you.”

Before they could continue their discussion, Belgarath said, “Let's continue. Obviously we have a long road ahead of us and we should find a place to set up camp for the night.”

Sesshomaru nodded. “Little brother, do try to talk with the miko. You're not doing anyone a favor by acting the way you are right now.”

Inuyasha glared at him as he stood, heading for his horse. He said, “Mind your own business next time, asshole.” He climbed back on his horse, following the others as they crossed more rocky, barren terrain of Mishrak ac Thull. He knew his brother was right, but there was no way in hell he'd tell him that. Either he addressed the problem or he stopped acting the way he was. Inuyasha glanced once over towards Kagome noticing her horse next to Polgara's. She was still ignoring him. Hopefully tonight that would change.



As they set up camp later that night, Sesshomaru watched as Rin tugged on Inuyasha's hand. Inuyasha looked bewildered as the little girl demanded, “Please, Inuyasha-sama, will you play with me?”

Inuyasha glanced towards Sesshomaru, his eyes pleading with him. Sesshomaru knew that the half-breed wanted and needed to talk with the young miko, but he couldn't disappoint Rin, either. He shook his head, dismissing his brother's plea. Inuyasha's brow knit together in a glare before softening as he responded to the young girl, “Alright, pup.” Sesshomaru smiled ever so slightly as he sat down by the camp fire, watching Rin tug his brother across camp to play. He knew that the little girl had a lot of energy she had to use up. What better way than to have his brother help her burn it up?

Sesshomaru heard from his left the young miko giggle slightly as she remarked, “Oh dear. Inuyasha has no idea what he's gotten himself into now.” She sat in her gray travel dress near Polgara, helping with the fixing of dinner. He watched her for awhile, noticing why his little brother had an interest in this young girl. She was feisty, that much he had witnessed. If anything, this human girl wouldn't bore Inuyasha.

He turned his attention back towards Rin and Inuyasha as she played with him. Inuyasha ran from her in mock fear, his hands above his head. He heard her giggle wildly as she chased after him and she cried, “I'll get you Inuyasha-sama!”

“Oh no! What ever will I do! The big, bad Rin is going to get me for sure! There's nothing I can do to stop her!” He ran a bit more, trying to dodge the little girl. She landed a small blow on his shoulder and he pretended to reel backwards, crying out, “Oh, she has wounded me!”

Sesshomaru watched until Polgara's voice broke his concentration. “You know, dear, you should just get it over with.”

“Woman, what do you mean butting into my business.”

“Nothing. It's plainly obvious to anyone who can see that you wish to make up with your brother.” Polgara continued to stir the evening stew on the pot while Ce'Nedra chopped vegetables.

Kagome looked over to where Rin had Inuyasha in mock pin. Rin giggled as he clutched his chest, falling over as if dead. Inuyasha jerked a little bit as he had his last moments of “life.” “Looks like Rin thinks the same thing.” She tilted her head towards the mock battle.

Sesshomaru heard Inuyasha cry in mock death, “Oh Rin, this is the end! You've killed me! What will I do?”

Rin giggled in answer. She jumped onto his stomach, causing him to grunt. “Inuyasha-sama, you're funny, did you know that?” She hugged him while he still lay on the ground.

“Hey! No fair! You can't go hugging me after you kill me! I'm dead, remember?” He smiled, ruffling her hair, then picked her up, putting her onto his back.

Sesshomaru looked away. He glared at both Polgara and Kagome as they both smiled smugly.

Kagome sighed. “Come on. He's the only real family you have left. If you two weren't so much alike in the stubborn hard-headed department you'd both be over this.”

“Don't place me in the same category as Inuyasha.”

“Don't be foolish.” Polgara added the vegetables. “Both of you have more in common than either of you are willing to admit. Both of you are proud. Both of you have humans you care for and don't deny it. Both of you are intensely protective of said humans. You have more in common than you have differences. Your personalities are about the only thing that differ, Inuyasha unable to hide an emotion and you doing nothing but.”

Sesshomaru snorted. “He's a half-breed.”

“So?” Polgara shook her head. “My twin sister Beldaran died a very long time ago. Beldaran did not possess the abilities I have nor the long life span, yet she was far more powerful than I. I have power and capabilities as you would say that humans should not posses and I do have an incredibly long life span. But, it is my mortal, untalented sister as we say in our family, who wielded a power far greater than my own. She possessed the ability to love in ways I'll never match. And yet, as you view your little brother as nothing more than a weak half-breed, I view my mortal sister long since passed on as the more powerful of us.”

Sesshomaru frowned. Then he placed his expressionless mask back on. “It's different. You are both human.”

“Some would say that but others would say that I am holy or inhuman, or even under the influence of evil that manifests itself through my power. Beldaran was the mother to the Rivan line, the very same line that Garion descended from.”

Sesshomaru snorted. “Woman, Inuyasha tainted our blood line with his very existence.”

“And have you ever asked yourself if it was up to Inuyasha if he should be born at all? He was born for a reason. Inuyasha never asked for his existence. What he does ask for is acceptance and respect. I can tell that by the way he acts around you. And yet, I have yet to hear him utter what I could not get Garion to stop saying: Why me? Inuyasha doesn't worry over it. He's too busy trying to live.” Polgara started preparing some bread to accompany the stew.

Sesshomaru looked down, then glared at her. “I am not a pup.”

“Dear, I never said you were. You are simply making excuses to do something you should and need to do so you don't have to. You're showing that similarity again. Both of you put some of the most stubborn people I know to shame.”

Inuyasha's voice could be heard shouting, “Now, where did that Rin go? I've looked here, I've looked there, I've looked everywhere. Where did she go?” He put his hand to shield his eyes as he peered, deliberately ignoring the sneaking Rin. She jumped, hugging him tightly around the waist. Inuyasha grunted, falling back onto the ground. “Oi, pup. You're heavier than I thought.” He sat up, hugging her. “Should we go pester my mean older brother and find out when we'll have supper?”

Rin clapped her hands. “Yes, Inuyasha-sama. See if we can sneak up on him!”

Inuyasha smirked. He hoisted her back up onto his back, circling around to the other side of camp, the side Sesshomaru had his back to. Inuyasha yowled suddenly and Sesshomaru knew it couldn't have been a part of their game. He turned, seeing his brother's left arm hang limply at his side, Rin glued to his back as Inuyasha drew Tetsusaiga with his free hand. Inuyasha raised the sword above his head, slamming it down with his one remaining hand, the Wind Scar exploding towards the target that had caused him to scream in the first place. A woman sat upon a feather above and the Wind Scar nearly slammed into her, save for the fact that the feather moved quickly out of the way. Inuyasha's voice shouted, “Hang on Rin. Don't let go what ever you do.”

Sesshomaru stiffened. “Kagura.”

Polgara allowed an eyebrow to arch. “Who is she?”

Sesshomaru did not respond and he stood, crossing towards his brother and Rin. Inuyasha had thrust Rin behind him, as his left arm loosely hanging and blood spattered upon the brown soil. He didn't succumb to the pain, however, fiercely protecting the small child, even with the blood loss. Inuyasha snarled, “What are you doing here, Kagura?”

Kagura laughed slightly, her fan out and open. She said, “So it is true, you dog demon brothers have made up. What a pity. I was hoping you'd be above him, Sesshomaru. Consorting with mortals is most unbecoming of you.” She looked over the group of people, running her fingers over her fan. “I see you've added more humans to your troop, Sesshomaru. But your half-breed brother and his miko?” Kagura noticed Rin peeking around Sesshomaru and Inuyasha's forms. She smiled slightly as she commented, “My what a beautiful little girl you have, Sesshomaru.”

Polgara motioned to Ce'Nedra to get inside the tent. “Father, Uncle! We've got trouble!” She too then went to where Inuyasha and Rin stood. Polgara took the child, guarding her. “I don't know who you are or what you want with Inuyasha and Sesshomaru, but I will not permit you to hurt this child.”

Kagura looked her over. “Woman, how do you plan to do that when you are only human?” She lifted her fan, preparing her attack.

Polgara quickly erected a barrier around the child, thrusting her backwards, then she drew in her will, a bright blue surrounding her. “You will not harm this child.”

Kagura smiled. “Another miko. How delightful.”

Inuyasha snarled, “Your target is me, wench. Pay attention!” He leapt into the air, slamming Tetsusaiga into the ground, the Wind Scar erupting in bright light. It headed directly for Kagura and she jumped out of the way, her laughter floating on the air. Sesshomaru saw his brother snarl, preparing another attack.

The attack had nearly succeeded, even though Inuyasha had been badly injured and should have collapsed by now. He too drew his sword, Tokijin, to join in the attacks on the wind sorceress. Sesshomaru replied, “Kagura, I suggest if you wish to live much longer you leave my presence. I will not tolerate your petty insults.”

Polgara tilted her head to Inuyasha who had sunk down to one knee, the only thing propping him being Tetsusaiga itself. “Get him out of here, let me handle the woman. I can protect the child with my barrier. If you take both she'll follow the girl.”

Kagura smiled. “But can you protect yourself?”

Sesshomaru nodded, gripping Inuyasha by his haori. He threw him over his shoulder, sprinting towards the tents. By the time he landed, Inuyasha's eyes had glazed over and his blood loss had taken effect. The arm was broken, that was certain, and blood poured from his shoulder. Kagome rushed over, a strange kit taken out. She took out some bandages and a wet cloth which she placed upon his forehead. “Go, protect Rin. I've got him!” She turned, glaring at him as she cared for Inuyasha.

Sesshomaru took his place standing in front of Rin, Tokijin held at a low point. Polgara stood before him, and he saw Kagura unleash her attack as she spun, crying out, “Dance of blades!”

Polgara flicked her wrist, unleashing her will. Kagura's own attack backlashed towards her,.“Would you like to try that again?”

Kagura groaned, clutching a side. “How did you do that? No arrows, no physical object.” She drew her fan again. “Dance of the Dragon!”

Polgara again flicked her wrist, unleashing her will to deflect this attack. It dissipated instead of recoiling. “Do you understand? I will not allow you to harm the child.” Her white lock blazed brilliantly and her violet eyes flashed to steel gray as she stared at Kagura defiantly.

“What are you?” Kagura fanned herself slightly.

“I am Polgara. More to the point, who and what are you?”

Kagura stared her down, red eyes becoming hard like rubies. “I am the wind sorceress. I control all wind.”

“Sorceress?” Polgara arched an eyebrow. In her palm sat a ball of energy ready just in case. She asked, “Are you of Torak's faith?”

“Torak? I have never heard that name before. My master is Naraku.” She spat his name in disgust. “I came to deliver a message. Naraku is waiting for you in Cthol Mishrak. He wants to show off his latest incarnation and inform Inuyasha and Sesshomaru why they are here. As added benefit he wanted me to attempt to kill or kidnap one or the other, Inuyasha's miko or the little girl.” Kagura drew a feather from her hair, tossing it into the air. She hovered for a moment. “Naraku will expect you.” Then she was gone.

Polgara sighed. “Her mind is conflicted. She wants to be free of Naraku, but she is compelled to do his bidding. Such a sad creature.” She waved her hand, releasing Rin from her barrier.

Rin flew directly towards Sesshomaru, glomping onto his leg. “Sesshomaru-sama! That was scary! Is Inuyasha-sama alright?”

Belgarath and Beldin whistled. “So that's who is raising all those demons over there in Mallorea. This Naraku better be glad Torak isn't alive. He'd have him bent over backwards with his heart burning over hot coals in no time.”

Beldin said, “Ol' Burnt Face had issues, but he never tolerated demon worship. No offense to our fine traveling companions here, don'tcha know?”

“Beldin! Don't lapse into that! If you do you'll do that all night and it irritates me.”

“Yer mighty sorcerership, I knew that it did so I felt obliged to slip it on fer good measures sake.” He winked.

Polgara sighed. “Father, uncle, we don't have time for this. Inuyasha, where is he? Take me to him.”

Sesshomaru nodded, sheathing Tokijin. He lifted Rin up, cradling her to his chest as he led Polgara to where Kagome tended Inuyasha's unconscious body. Kagome had moved the robe of the fire rat away from the wound in his shoulder and had begun to clean it out with strange liquids from bottles that Sesshomaru couldn't quite read the labels to. She had also pried Tetsusaiga from his iron grip, setting it next to his body. She had unrolled some bandages and gently lifted him to apply them when Polgara said, “Dear, let me see him.”

Kagome backed away, her eyes locked onto his pale form. Sesshomaru looked from the young miko to his brother's form. Inuyasha was in this state because he had been willing to protect Rin. Sesshomaru looked down into the little girl's eyes, seeing fear residing there. And, the half-breed had lasted a lot longer, enough to launch two Wind Scars back towards the wind witch, than most would have with the blood loss and pain of a broken arm. He knelt down near the miko, easing Rin down to sit in his lap without him holding her. He then gently rested his hand onto her shoulder for a moment before settling it at his side.

Polgara said, “Kagome, you might not want to stay here. I'm going to have to reset that bone of his and it will make him scream. It won't heal properly if I don't.”

Kagome bit her lip, tears forming in her eyes. She shook her head violently. “I stay where Inuyasha stays.”

“Okay, dear, but I did warn you.” She adjusted Inuyasha to lay completely flat onto the ground, then lifted his crooked arm, twisting it one direction, then the other. Inuyasha's eyes flew open, and his fangs sank into his lip, causing it to bleed. He did not, however, scream out as his arm was set, but only grunted before passing out once more. She set splints onto his arm, resting it back down onto the ground. “He's made of tougher stuff than I thought.”

Sesshomaru hid a slight smirk. “Woman, by morning that arm will be fully healed, along with the flesh wound. He's a half-breed. They may not heal as fast as my class, but he will be healed by dawn.”

“Dawn?” She looked down at the pale Inuyasha. “Are you certain?”

Kagome nodded. “Yes, he'll be healed by morning if he doesn't wake in an hour and rip that cast off before that. He'll be very irritating, too.” She brushed some hair from his brow, rubbing one ear slowly.

Polgara said, “We'll have to all talk together once he wakes up, then.”

Rin slowly eased out of Sesshomaru's lap, gently placing her head on his uninjured side. She hugged him slightly, whispering, “Be okay Inuyasha-sama.”