Crossover Fan Fiction / InuYasha Fan Fiction ❯ The Journey to the City of Endless Night ❯ Chapter Seventeen ( Chapter 17 )

[ X - Adult: No readers under 18. Contains Graphic Adult Themes/Extreme violence. ]

Chapter Seventeen

Kagome relaxed into the warm water, sighing in contentment. It had been a long journey and awhile since she could take a decent bath. The crossing of the Sea of the East left little room for bathing, after all. She closed her eyes, sinking further into the tub. “This is heaven.”

Sango entered the tub, sinking into the steamy depths as well. She sighed, dunking her hair into the water. After she grew comfortable, Sango asked, “Kagome, just who are we traveling with?”

Kagome opened an eye. She said, “When Inuyasha and I came over a hill we met these people. They've been a big help, I must say.”

“Kagome, you didn't say they were royalty. That one who paid to get Miroku in, the innkeeper called him 'Your Majesty.' How many are royalty?” Sango asked, squeezing her hair free of water.

Kagome said, “Well, Zakath is the Emperor of Mallorea, and the blond one, his name is Garion. He's the King of Riva. His wife is Queen Ce'Nedra.” She paused. “The one called Silk is really a prince named Prince Kheldar. I think they said he was from a place called Drasnia.”

“So everyone you've traveled with is royalty of some sort?” Sango sunk lower into the water.

“No. Lady Polgara, Durnik and Belgarath are sorcerers. They're different, although they're related to Garion.” Kagome rinsed her shampoo out.

“Sorcerers? What do you mean?” Sango's brown eyes looked shocked.

“They're able to change shape and do things with their minds. They call it the Will and the Word. I don't really understand it.” Kagome washed her arms.

Sango fell silent. She washed her hair, wrapping it up in a pile on her head when she was finished. She reached for the soap, smiling slightly when Kagome's fingers brushed hers. Sango asked, “Kagome, what is going on with Inuyasha and his brother?”

“What do you mean?” Kagome cocked her head to one side. “Oh, you mean that they're not killing one another.”

“Yeah, that.”

“Well, when we showed up in that valley, Sesshomaru was there. That little girl he has with him was ill. I guess they called a truce cause they haven't really fought since, at least not with swords.” Kagome stretched out in the tub.

“How long have they had this truce?” Sango also stretched out into the tub.

“Since we got there about three weeks ago. I don't know. They seem to be behaving for the most part. That's if you overlook their need to call each other names constantly.” Kagome sighed. She lifted her hair, moving it away from her neck. She looked in Sango's direction when she heard a gasp.

“Kagome, what is that bite wound on your throat?” Sango's eyes were concerned.

Kagome grazed her hand over the mark that Inuyasha had placed on her skin. It felt rough, the scab still setting. Kagome winced slightly. “It's nothing, really.”

“Nothing? It looks like something or someone bit you. Are you alright?”

Kagome blushed. “Inuyasha did it.”

“Inuyasha? He hurt you? I'll make sure he---” Sango held a fist up.

“Not like that.” Her cheeks flamed further. “Uh, Inuyasha and I, we're, we're mates now.”

“Mates?” Sango's eyes widened. “Did you just say what I think you did?” She moved towards Kagome in the water.

“Yes. It happened on the ship ride over here.” Kagome looked away.

Sango smiled. “It's about time.”

Kagome gasped, looking over towards her friend. “About time? What do you mean?”

“Kagome, come on, we all know you two wanted that for a long time. You just kept denying it. It's about time you two figured it out and let it happen.” Sango smiled wide. “Now, let's just hope the monk doesn't find out or we'll have trouble.”

Kagome sighed. She said, “Was it that obvious?”

“Uh huh. Even Shippo knew you two were dancing around one another.”

“Even Shippo?” Kagome's blush deepened. “I'm so embarrassed.”

“Don't be. You needed the right time.” Sango's expression grew serious. “But, I have to ask one thing, what about Kikyo? If you're mates, what will Inuyasha do if we should come across her.”

Kagome looked at her friend. “I don't know.” She looked at the water, the suds disappearing. “I guess we'll see when the time comes. I'm not going to bring up the issue of Kikyo with him. It'd hurt both of us and I really don't want to do that.”

Sango sighed. “Just be careful, Kagome.”

“So---” Kagome swished her hand in the water. “What were you and Miroku doing this whole time, anyways?”

Sango sighed, sinking lower into the tub. “I was hoping you'd not ask me that question.” She closed her eyes. “Let's see, we arrived in this city and he swindled the innkeeper of this inn first thing. He claimed he could keep all demons at bay. Then he got caught in one of his famous ladies moments asking every lady to bear his child including the innkeeper's daughter.” Sango clenched her fists. “That's when we got thrown out. He did that little game in about three other inns until we ended up in the inn you found us in.”

Kagome shook her head. “Figures. I'm not surprised that he was doing that sort of thing at all.”

Sango slapped the water. “He just can't control himself.” Sango exited the tub, drying herself off. “I swear, one of these days someone is going to kill him.” After she slid her kimono on, Sango ran a comb through her hair. “Other than that, we've been trying to hear anything at all about Naraku and what's going on. All we've heard about is that there are demons ravaging the north. Then we ran into you.”

Kagome also exited the tub, drying herself off. She pulled her underwear and the peasant dress back on. “Sounds like you've had a rough time since you came to this city.”

“Yeah, and no thanks to that monk.” Sango put her ribbon back on, preparing to go back to the rooms assigned to them.


Sesshomaru glared at his brother. He really did not want to explain how Rin had come to join him. It was not anyone's business why Rin was with him. It was best if the subject was dropped. “Do you not have something to do, half-breed?”

Inuyasha crossed his arms. He said, “I'm not leaving till I get an answer.” His jaw jutted out, displaying his utter refusal to respect privacy.

Sesshomaru looked towards the kit and Rin as they continued to color. He then locked his gaze onto Inuyasha. “Shortly after a fight we had over Tetsusaiga, I was left to recuperate. A young girl came and provided food. She was mute.” Sesshomaru looked at Rin as she laughed. “Once I recovered, I came across the same girl, dead. Wolves had attacked and slain her.” He paused, looking at the child hunched over the paper, crayon in hand. “It was Rin. I, attempting to understand the sword our father left me, used it to revive the young girl. She has been with me ever since.”

“Wait a minute, you mean the pup was dead?” Inuyasha looked towards the two children coloring as well.

“That is what I said.” Sesshomaru locked eyes with Inuyasha. “Now, let us drop the matter.”

Inuyasha shook his head. “I don't know what to say. Your sword did that? And you kept saying how Tenseiga was worthless.”

“I did. I also said let us drop the matter.” Sesshomaru stood. “I am going to set up the room that Rin and I shall share.” He crossed to the door opposite the one Miroku had entered. Once inside, he surveyed the room. It had a bed in one corner, a chair in another, and a small fire place.

Sesshomaru thought about that moment when he had come across Rin's limp body. At first reviving her had been an act of curiosity, an experiment to see what his sword was capable of and nothing more. He hadn't had a plan for what he would do with the girl after he cut the spirits of the underworld away. He could not have predicted the little human child remaining with him and becoming so loyal.

Sesshomaru crossed to the window, looking out into the city. He contemplated why he had done what he had. Why did it matter so much to him if the small human child lived or not? Looking out into the street, he saw the lamps by the inn become lit as men walked on stilts. It amazed him sometimes that the human race was capable of anything. Yet, he had revived a small girl out of curiosity. Not only had he revived her, but he allowed her to travel with him. Sesshomaru really didn't have the answer as to why he did so, it just was.

The door opened slowly, and Rin stepped in. “Sesshomaru-sama?”

“Rin.” Sesshomaru turned, looking at the small child. She looked so fragile in the doorway. These were traits he usually abhorred in others. They were traits to look down upon and for those who possessed these traits the best thing to do was to annihilate them. Yet, with Rin, Sesshomaru felt otherwise.

“Sesshomaru-sama, would you like to see what I colored?” Rin held a small piece of paper in her hand. She stepped forward, looking proud of her accomplishment.

Sesshomaru leaned over slightly, looking at the object. He saw that she had made a picture of Ah-Un. The two headed dragon looked crude and out of proportion, the tail much bigger than either of the heads. Although the drawings were not accurate in any way, Rin's attempt at drawing them at all made Sesshomaru smile briefly. At least this time she hadn't drawn a picture of him. “Very nice, Rin.”

Rin smiled wide, her face lighting up. “Thank-you, Sesshomaru-sama.” She turned, heading towards the door. “I'm going to go draw another picture.”

“Rin,” Sesshomaru called her attention. She turned back around, looking at him, her innocent face focused completely on his. “Stay in here for now.”

“Alright, Sesshomaru-sama.” She joined him by the window, the drawing still clutched tightly into her hand. Rin looked up at him. “What's out there?”

“The city.” He looked back out the window, seeing other buildings with the soft glow of candle light.

“Oh.” Rin startled him when she hugged him tightly, her head resting on his thigh.

Sesshomaru looked down at the little girl. He put his hand on the back of her head, gently rubbing the fine hair. “You should rest before supper time.”


Inuyasha sat watching Shippo after his brother had left. Rin wasn't far behind her lord. The kit was hard at work making some sort of picture with the crayons from Kagome's time. He thought about what his brother had told him. The little pup had been slain by wolves and his brother, the coldest being he had ever known, had brought the child back to life and kept her. Perhaps his brother wasn't nearly as cold as he thought. The past few weeks had shown him that his brother, while calculating and distant, didn't mean that he didn't feel. Inuyasha shook his head. He muttered, “I'm giving myself a headache trying to figure out what he's up to.”

“Well, now that we're mostly alone, would you like to fill me in with what's really going on?” Miroku stood, looking down at Inuyasha before he sat back down onto the carpet as well.

Inuyasha glared at him. “I already told you, we're traveling together and that's that. There's nothing else to tell.”

“Well, did he answer my question?”

Inuyasha grit his teeth. “It's none of your business so just drop it.” He didn't want to share something that personal with the monk, not just yet. That was Sesshomaru's place.

“Alright, if you won't tell me about that, will you tell me about you and Kagome?” His brows waggled.

“No. Just go back to that room you were setting up and leave me alone.” Inuyasha felt shaken more than anything about what he had learned about Rin. It did not help that he had the monk asking him about things that had nothing to do with him. As if he would disclose information about their mating to a lecherous monk like him.

Miroku slumped. “Ah well, maybe someday you'll tell me.”

“Listen, if you dare ask any questions of Kagome I'll make sure you personally get to know Tetsusaiga.” Inuyasha crossed his arms. “Kagome and I, we became mates on the ship coming here. No, I'm not going to tell you how that all came about. All you need to know is that we're mates and that's that.”

Miroku nodded. “I can respect the lady's privacy. I won't ask her any questions.” He smiled. “You know, it was about time you finally did something with Kagome, after all.”

Inuyasha turned, looking towards Miroku. His eyes widened and his ears flattened to his skull. “What does that mean?”

“I'm just saying, you two were avoiding the obvious for so long.” Miroku's expression became serious. “I do, however, have one question. What about Kikyo? You have become Kagome's mate and that means you are her mate for life. What will happen if we should come across Kikyo?”

Inuyasha ran a tongue over a fang. He sighed. “I guess we'll find out if it ever happens.” He looked towards the carpet, tracing the geometric design with his eyes. “I guess I've made my choice and I have to be fully committed.”

“I'd say you might have to think about it at least.” Miroku shook his head. “So, Inuyasha, will you at least tell me why you and your brother haven't killed each other yet?”

Inuyasha sighed. “Listen, when we found each other he had that little girl with him and she was sick. I didn't feel like fighting with him when the girl was ill.”

“That is understandable, but the child is better. Why have you two not fought? In fact, it seemed as if the two of you were relying on one another the whole trip from that inn to this one.” Miroku arched an eyebrow.

“We're not at home, we don't really know what's going on with any of these strange people, and we both know Naraku is involved. Sesshomaru doesn't like Naraku any more than I do and it seems he's decided to set aside the feud for now. Are you satisfied?” Inuyasha crossed his arms, blowing hair from his face.

“How do you feel about traveling with your brother?”

“Now what does that mean?”

“Well, do you feel like you'll start the fight again after Naraku's destroyed?”

“The jackass seems to think it's petty and pointless. So I highly doubt it. I don't really feel like fighting with him, either. If he doesn't start it, I won't.” Inuyasha looked at the monk. “You haven't told me what you were doing in this city this whole time.”

“Oh, that, “ Miroku replied, “mostly Sango and I have been going from inn to inn. We haven't heard much of Naraku until today.”

Inuyasha snorted. “Doesn't surprise me.” He looked towards the door, wondering if his mate would ever return from her bath. He sighed. “All I know is we've ended up in the middle of some weird religious war and I don't like it. Somehow Naraku's involved in that, too.”

“Religious war?” Miroku adjusted the beads over the Wind Tunnel.

“Yeah. Some Grolims are arguing with these other Grolims and as far as I can understand it, they're priests of some sort.” Inuyasha scratched an ear with his back foot.

“Sounds messy.”

“It is. Far as I can tell, we really have nothing to do with that part except the fact that Naraku's going to throw what ever he can muster at us. Doesn't matter to me. In the end I'm going to kill him anyways.” Inuyasha flicked his eyes back towards the door, hoping Kagome would arrive soon.

“Ah, I see. Naraku's stirring up trouble, then.”

The door opened and Kagome and Sango entered. Sango stormed past the two men, her expression sour. She glared over her shoulder at Miroku before sitting down in one of the chairs to finish combing her hair. Kagome sat down next to Inuyasha, shaking her head.

Inuyasha looked at Sango, then Miroku. “Alright, what did you do this time?”

“What ever do you mean? I haven't done anything.” Miroku held his hands up. “I was in this suite the whole time.”

Kagome leaned over, whispering, “Sango's just mad about the fact that he got them kicked out of inns.”

Inuyasha rolled his eyes. “Figures.” He leaned in, lapping at her mark briefly. Kagome shivered under his touch and again he regretted having to share a suite with so many. He sniffed, her hair smelling of flowers. “What did you wash your hair with?”

“Shampoo, like always.” She ran a comb through the strands slowly. “I had to get all the sea salt out.” She hit a snag, working through it slowly.

Inuyasha sighed. She smelled faintly of him but so much had been washed off. He saw Shippo stand up, crossing the room. Shippo sat down by Kagome. The young fox kit asked, “Is it true that you're Inuyasha's mate now?”

Inuyasha raised a fist to hit the kit but lowered it when he saw Kagome glare. She nodded. “Yes, Shippo.”

Inuyasha shook his fist again at the kit. “Yeah, and you still haven't said what you're going to do about it.”

Kagome gritted her teeth together. “Inuyasha, don't.” She said, “Does it bother you?”

“No. It doesn't bother me.” Shippo hugged Kagome. “I'm just glad we finally found everyone back.”

Kagome hugged him back. “I am, too.” She let Shippo go, setting her comb down. “I ran into Lady Polgara on the way here. She said that we should go down to supper in the mess hall in about a half an hour.”