Crossover Fan Fiction / InuYasha Fan Fiction ❯ The Journey to the City of Endless Night ❯ Chapter Eighteen ( Chapter 18 )

[ X - Adult: No readers under 18. Contains Graphic Adult Themes/Extreme violence. ]

Chapter Eighteen

Dusk approached as they passed through the gates of Mal Gemila towards the open road that lay before. Inuyasha twitched his ears under his hood, his eyes scanning ahead. He kept a firm grip on the reigns to his horse as he walked next to Kagome. Leaving at nightfall unnerved him, although he understood why they did it. It would be easier to hide their departure under the guise of twilight to anyone who might be looking for them.

Once everyone had passed through the gates, Belgarath held his hand up, asking them to halt. “We're on our way to Mal Zeth. The road up ahead is straight and patrolled. Since we have the Emperor with us, it'd be best not to call attention to His Majesty. We want to be as anonymous for as much and as long as possible. That means until we're inside the palace walls we should try to keep anyone from taking notice of us. We'll travel by night so that when we arrive into the city, Zakath here won't have an entire entourage waiting for us.”

They continued down the road when Inuyasha saw in the impending twilight a sight he hadn't expected. A man approached them by walking on his hands and just before he crossed paths with them he flipped over. “Tis a lovely night fer a stroll, don't y' know? Mind if I walk the road apiece with yer fine folk?” Now that they were up close, Inuyasha noticed that the odd man wore flamboyant robes in brilliant greens, reds, and golds.

Belgarath shrugged. “I don't see why not.”

“The name's Feldegast and me trade is in storytellin' and jugglin'.” He drew out five balls, tossing them into the air and juggled them rapidly. “You wouldn't be headin' off towards the Imperial City, now would ya?”

Polgara nodded. “Yes, that's exactly where we're going.”

Inuyasha wondered why after all the speeches about not letting others take notice of them that these two in particular were all but giving into the strange man. He sniffed the air, catching a familiar scent from the juggler, but it differed slightly enough that he couldn't place it. There was something odd about the man and he'd find out what it was. Inuyasha placed his hand into Kagome's, keeping a firm grip on his mate around this stranger.

“And what business would such fine folk as yerselves have in the city?” Feldegast looked over the group.

Polgara said, “We have some important matters to discuss with His Majesty.”

“I reckon it can't be a good time to be disturbin' him, Lady-O. I hear there be demons about ravagin' the country. He's got his hands mighty full about now an' I don't think he'd be open for any social calls.” Feldegast winked.

“I think we'll manage.” Polgara smiled fondly back at the juggler.

Kagome giggled into Inuyasha's ear. “I like him. He's funny.”

Inuyasha snorted. “Feh. If you say so.” He looked over the juggler before locking eyes with his brother. Apparently he wasn't the only one to notice that something was off about the odd man before them. He nodded towards Sesshomaru before looking back over the group. It still didn't make sense to him that Belgarath had told them to keep themselves unnoticed only to pick up a straggler on the road. Something was going on that they weren't quite revealing.

“Yer an odd little group if you don't mind me saying so.” Feldegast looked them over, juggling more objects.

“And you're an odd man,” Belgarath replied. “Let's be on our way. We're not going to get closer to Mal Zeth standing around in the road.”

They followed the man down the road, leading their horses until they were far enough away from the walls. It would be easier to be undetected that way as the hooves of their horses wouldn't make noise until they were far from the city. As they walked, Feldegast juggled items that seemed to appear out of thin air as he told stories to Polgara and Ce'Nedra. Again, Belgarath stopped them, directing them to mount their horses. One of the pack horses was freed for the juggler's use.

Inuyasha grumbled under his breath at the idea of having to climb back onto the smelly beast again. Once adjusted, he followed the group as they road into the deepening twilight. His eyes adjusted quickly and he looked around the road, cautious. He left Kagome's side briefly, joining his brother in the rear of the group. “Hey, jackass---”

Sesshomaru looked over at Inuyasha, one brow raised, “What is it, half-breed?”

“We should keep an eye on the road. These humans can't see that well in the dark so why don't you watch the front while I keep an eye on the rear.” Inuyasha twitched his ears again under his hood as he heard the juggler laugh.

Sesshomaru nodded. He nudged Rin from her doze. “Rin, go with Inuyasha.” He looked over at Inuyasha. “Let Rin ride with your mate.” Sesshomaru eased Rin at Inuyasha, and she easily locked her arms around his neck. Then, Sesshomaru kicked his horse to a trot so he could take the lead by Silk.

Inuyasha sighed, returning to Kagome. She asked, “What was that all about?”

“Sesshomaru is going to keep an eye on the road, that's all.” Inuyasha let his horse slow, stepping in pace with Kagome's. “Human eyes don't see well in the dark.” He eased Rin towards her and Kagome helped the little girl adjust into the saddle. Once Inuyasha was satisfied that the two were steady he pulled his hand back.

Kagome nodded. “I see.” She drew the cloak Polgara had given her tightly around herself. “It's a bit chilly tonight.”

Inuyasha snorted. He shrugged his fire rat off, offering it to her. “Take it. You and the pup need to stay warm.”

Kagome smiled. “I couldn't do that. What if you need it? I'll just ask Lady Polgara for another cloak.”

Inuyasha shook the robe at her. “Just take it already. I'll be fine.”

Kagome sighed. She took the offering, wrapping it around herself and Rin. Rin peeked out between the folds, giggling. “Thank you, Inuyasha-sama.”

Inuyasha ruffled Rin's hair. He then ran his thumb on Kagome's mark. “I'm going to watch the road behind us. Stay close to Sango and Miroku.”

Kagome nodded. She drew her horse by Sango, instantly falling into conversation with her. Inuyasha let his horse drift back towards the end of the group, as he cast a look over his shoulder to the road behind. He didn't want anything sneaking up on them as they traveled by night.

Inuyasha pulled his hood down, revealing his ears so he could listen better. A voice asked, “Hear anything?” Glancing over, he saw that it was Durnik. He said, “I thought I'd keep you company if that was alright.” The plain faced man sniffed the air. “It smells like rain.”

Inuyasha snorted, but sniffed the air as well. “Feh.” The man was right. It did smell of rain. The last thing they needed was to get washed out. Kagome didn't need to get rained on, even if she did have his fire rat.

The juggler joined them as well. “Are ye two having a party all by yerselves back here?” He looked over the two men. “My, those are certainly strange appendages ye have dog-eared boy, don't y' know?”

Inuyasha flattened his ears to his skull. He had hoped to be able to be on alert, not entertain the new guest with his appearance. “I hear better than you silly humans if that's what you mean.” He swiveled one ear back towards the road. “I hear thunder.”

Durnik nodded. “I'll let Belgarath know. We might want to set up camp so the ladies don't get chilled.” He turned his horse, riding up towards the middle to speak with the old sorcerer. This left Inuyasha and Feldegast alone.

Feldegast juggled six objects and one seemed to glow as it went about in the circle. It disappeared without being dropped and Inuyasha wondered again what was going on with this strange entertainer they had picked up. “So what are ye exactly if ye don't mind me askin'.”

Inuyasha sighed. He turned one ear back towards the road, trying to hear the distant rumblings of thunder. Upon hearing none, he hoped the storm would pass over them long enough to make good distance through the night. “I'm a half-breed.” He adjusted his prayer beads around his neck. It would be better to not say that he was half-demon and alarm the man. Inuyasha still didn't know why Belgarath had welcomed him but he wasn't willing to take chances either.

Durnik returned, interrupting the discussion. “Belgarath said we'd travel for about three more hours and set up camp. The storm shouldn't reach us for quite some time though if we hear more rumblings we'll set up camp sooner.”

Inuyasha nodded. He pulled his hood back over his ears, hoping to cut off any more questions from the juggler. Inuyasha followed the group, keeping an eye on his whereabouts. Hopefully nothing would occur through the night.


Kagome glanced over her shoulder at Inuyasha. He looked irritated and cautious. She sighed, looking back towards Sango. Rin called her attention when she adjusted under the fire rat Inuyasha had lent them. “Kagome-sama, do you like the new funny talking man?”

Kagome smiled. “He's funny. Do you like him?”

Rin nodded vigorously. She looked around, noticing Sango. “Kagome-sama, what's her name?”

“Sango, Rin-chan.” She smiled towards Sango who looked surprised.

“Hello Sango-sama. My name is Rin.” Rin smiled wide at the demon slayer.

Sango's eyes widened. She smiled, then said, “It's nice to meet you.” Kagome couldn't help but notice the hint of sorrow in Sango's eyes as she looked at the child.

Miroku pulled his horse alongside Kagome's on the opposite side from Sango. He smiled at Kagome and Rin. “Well, who is this pretty lady we have here?”

“Monk, don't even think of asking that child that question.” Sango ground her teeth together and Kagome sighed. Some things would never change.

“You misunderstand, Sango. My intentions are entirely pure. I would never ask such a question of such a young girl,” he replied to Sango's accusation that he might say something perverted to Rin. He smiled wide at Rin, stating, “I am Miroku and I hear that you are named Rin. Such a lovely name for a lovely girl.”

Rin giggled, then hid her face in the fire rat. She whispered into Kagome's ear, “Is he always like that?”

Shippo peeked around Miroku's shoulder. “Ignore him. He's always like that.” He had a lollipop in his hand. He licked it as he perched on Miroku.

Rin looked towards the small fox child. “Shippo-chan, why do you ride on his shoulder?”

Shippo blushed and Kagome laughed. He stuttered for a few moments before saying, “Well, it's just easier. I can keep my balance better than being on my own horse.” He stuck his lollipop into his mouth.

Polgara joined their small group. “Well, I see you're all getting along here.” She smiled at Rin. “How are you doing, dear?”

“Good. Inuyasha-sama lent us this so we wouldn't be cold.” Rin smiled.

“That was nice of him.” The moonlight caught her white streak making it appear like frost. She looked back towards Inuyasha. “I take it he's watching the back of the group as his brother's got the front.”

“Inuyasha said that it'd be easier for them to see in the dark than the rest of us.”

“That would make sense, I suppose.” Polgara shook her head.

Sango cleared her throat. “If you don't mind, I'd like to know more about these demons we've heard about.”

Polgara looked in Sango's direction. “Well, what would you like to know?”

Sango adjusted her large weapon on her back. “What type are they and what should I expect?”

Kagome blushed, then said, “Sango's a demon slayer if you'll remember. She wants to know what to expect if we should come across any of them.”

“Well, most likely the best thing to do is not to fight them. It won't do you any good and could possibly get you killed. These demons are summoned from the pits of hell and have a tendency to devour anyone they can get close enough to.” Polgara pulled her cloak tighter around herself. “Usually they'll appear as hideous illusions until they break free from the magician that controls them. Once that happens they look almost human except for the color of their skin being green or red and they usually have hideous faces and claws. That's when they are their most dangerous.”

“I see.” Sango looked ahead towards the road. “It probably won't help that some are working with Naraku, either.” She gripped the reigns of her horse tightly in her hand. Kirara perched on her shoulder.

Kagome noticed that Rin had spotted Kirara. Rin clapped her hands and smiled. “What's the name of your cat, Sango-sama?”

Sango looked down at the little girl, then towards Kirara. She said, “Her name is Kirara.”

“Kirara. I like it.” Rin smiled wide at the now awake fire-cat.

Polgara said, “That is an odd cat, I must say. It has two tails.”

“She's a fire-cat demon.” Sango absentmindedly stroked Kirara's head.

“I see. She is beautiful to say the least.”

“Can you tell me anything else about these demons? How does one combat them so they no longer ravage the land?” Miroku asked.

Polgara sighed, “Well, not much can really be done to dispel a demon except in the rare case you can ask for divine intervention from a God. That means you really have to know that God otherwise you're not lucky to succeed in acquiring their intercession.”

“I see, so you pray for their help?” Miroku ran his hand on the back of his neck.

“Well, in my family's case you ask to speak with Aldur and he will help directly. Most of the time a demon will do as it pleases and return to the pits of hell as they prefer to be there in the first place. It's only when someone has summoned them and placed them into an illusion that they really wreak the most havoc. You just don't want to be near them when they break free. That's when they get angry.” Polgara adjusted her skirts on her horse.

“Ah. Well, I suppose we'll understand more if we ever come across such a creature, though I'm hoping we don't for quite some time.”


Sesshomaru scanned the road ahead of them. He tuned out the conversations behind him, straining to hear anything that might be ahead of them. The last thing they needed to do was spring a trap that Naraku or anyone else might have set. It wouldn't have mattered to him to have petty bandits attack, but with Rin he felt uncomfortable with even that. He sniffed the air, trying to pin any strange scents down. It would be best not to take any chances.

Silk rode a few feet to his left. He wore a rumpled, stained tunic, and hose. His hair had been uncombed and the black strands hung loosely. He also had a beard forming. Sesshomaru wrinkled his nose at the moderate body odor. Silk's dark, beady eyes glanced towards Sesshomaru. “So far it's been going well, no demons and no bandits. I wouldn't mind the bandits, though. Been awhile since I relieved them of their plunder.” He looked out into the gloom.“Hear anything?”

Sesshomaru turned one eye towards the rat faced man. He replied curtly, “Nothing but idle chit chat.”

Silk smirked. “One does one's best.”

Sesshomaru turned his eyes back onto the road, his golden gaze penetrating gloom to reveal an empty road. He snorted in reply. The thief had several vices, one which was talking more than he should. Sesshomaru listened briefly to the people behind him, hearing Inuyasha's mate and the demon slayer discuss demons with Polgara.

They continued down the road, the moonlight aiding even Sesshomaru's eyes. He strained his ears when he picked upon a conversation happening not far down the road. “Hey, make sure that the barricade is in place. We don't want anyone getting through without paying first.”

“Thief, tell the old man that there are men up ahead.” Sesshomaru stopped his horse, holding his hand up to the others to follow suit.

Silk nodded, turning his horse to join Belgarath. He roused the dozing man. “Belgarath, looks like we have trouble up ahead.”

Belgarath blinked sleep from his eyes, jostled by his horse running into Garion's. He snorted. “What's up ahead?”

“It seems someone up ahead thought they should profit from all of the excitement going on here. They've set up a toll.” Silk winked. “This might be fun. So far I haven't had the chance to really steal anything or make any profit.”

Belgarath rolled his eyes. “Try to lie our way out of it if you can. I don't want to have any stupid fights if we don't need them.”

Silk smirked. “Trust me.”

Belgarath groaned. “I should have known you would have said that. Just get up there and hope they buy your lie.”

Inuyasha joined Sesshomaru. “What's going on?”

“Some men are attempting to set up an ambush ahead.” Sesshomaru replied.

“I see.” Inuyasha cracked one knuckle.

Sesshomaru rolled his eyes briefly. He turned his horse to face the voices at the toll, waiting to hear what would happen next. His brother's behavior didn't justify a reply. He glanced towards Inuyasha's mate and Rin, noticing that Rin had fallen silent, watching warily the surroundings around her. His brother's robe draped over her, hiding most everything but her face.

Silk adjusted his clothing and facial expression. He slicked his hair back, preparing to engage the men at their toll booth. Garion joined him, remarking, “I'll join you to make sure.”

Silk nodded, dismounting. He walked slowly towards the toll, remarking, “Good evening, gentlemen.”

The men looked at him warily, the obvious leader stepping forward his sword held out. “What business do you have on the road.”

“I'm a poor merchant on my way to Mal Zeth to hopefully find something in the city to transport for profit.” Silk remarked, making his voice as humble as possible. “I'm known in the West as Ambar of Kotu and have decided to try my luck in the East.”

The man looked at Silk with suspicious eyes. He said, “Why would an Alorn try to become a poor merchant in Mallorea?”

Silk made his voice fill with more self-pity, “I was driven out of my own continent when a terrible misunderstanding led all the buyers to believe I swindled them. It wasn't true, of course, but my reputation was ruined when another merchant feigned being the worthy Ambar of Kotu.” He sighed. “Such is life for a traveling merchant, I suppose.”

“Regardless, you'll have to pay the toll, Ambar.”

“I would, worthy man, but might I ask why the Imperial roads are being tolled now?”

“Haven't you heard? Demons are ravaging the roads. We can't trust anyone around our village anymore with demons rampaging.” The man still sounded suspicious of Silk.

Silk sighed. He withdrew a small bag. “It's all I have, good sir. I was hoping to use it to at least provide me one night in an inn but I suppose I'll have no choice.” He dropped it to the ground.

Garion stood a few feet in the distance, waiting and ready. Sesshomaru kept a close eye on the Godslayer, waiting to see what might happen next. He watched as the man demanding the toll picked up the sack, opening it. Instantly the man shouted in anger, dumping the bag's contents onto the ground. It was full of brass pennies. The highwaymen leader snarled, “This isn't going to cover the toll, honest merchant. No money from the West will buy you through our road.”

“Please, good sir, I haven't had the chance to exchange it to Malloreon currency.” Silk said, his voice reaching a wheedling tone.

“Then I insist we do a search of your goods.” The man charged towards Silk who did a back flip, deftly kicking the man's sword arm causing it to sail through the air. A dagger appeared in Silk's hand, one that Sesshomaru hadn't realized the little thief had been hiding.

Garion wasn't far behind the rat faced thief, his sword drawn but not glowing. That was the cue Sesshomaru had been waiting for. He dismounted from his horse, ready to dispel of the bandits blocking the road in front of them. He saw not far behind him was Inuyasha, keeping in close pace. A bandit had engaged Garion leaving the eight others to fight.

Silk leapt into the air, swiftly downing one of the bandits with a perfectly thrown dagger that pierced the throat. The man had seemed to be nothing beyond a pickpocket and sharp tongue. Sesshomaru had to admit the human had the ability to actually fight. Silk tossed another hidden dagger towards a man sneaking upon Garion, this time sinking it into the back of the would be assassin.

Inuyasha came face to face with one of the men, his hood down around his shoulders. He cracked his knuckles, circling the man in swift motions. As the man tried to train a sword on the half-breed, Inuyasha deftly punched the man rendering him unconscious. Apparently he wouldn't use his claws to kill the man and Sesshomaru wondered why.

Sesshomaru slowly approached a couple of the bandits, their swords ready. He coolly looked at them, sizing up their inadequate fighting stances. It seemed to him that these men hadn't been in the bandit profession for long. One of the men nervously approached the Demon Lord, his sword held in a shaking hand. “Pay or we'll have to kill you.”

Sesshomaru smiled slightly, revealing a fang. He wouldn't have to do much to rid himself of these pathetic humans. He stepped closer, daring them to attack. He noticed that the men took a step back rather than follow through on their threat. He said, “Vermin, you're in my way. I'd like to use this road.”

One of the men, gaunt and desperate, seemed to become more brave. He stepped forward, pointing his sword at Sesshomaru's chest. “Stop there and give us money or I'll cut your pretty face up.”

Sesshomaru took another step, then formed his whip of light, lashing the man swiftly across the face. He did it so fast that all that could be seen was a flash of light and the man stared back at the Demon Lord, his eyes filling with fear. Then the man placed a finger to his cheek, finding blood on the tips. This caused the man to bolt, his comrade standing stiff in fear. Sesshomaru remarked, “Would you like to remove your foul presence from the road?” The man shook his head, quickly following the other that had run screaming in terror. Perhaps his brother had not killed these humans because they were not worth the effort.

Sesshomaru looked over, noticing that the Godslayer and the thief had easily downed the others with his brother's help. He was about to check behind the barricade that had been in place when he heard a chilling howl a hundred feet down the road. Four men flocked out from behind the barricade, screaming, “A demon!”

Sesshomaru noticed that Garion had stopped, looking grim. He lifted his sword a moment, then the blue fire consumed it. What ever had made that noise merited the power of the great sword. Another piercing howl bellowed from the gloom and Sesshomaru noticed that Inuyasha had covered his ears with his hands. His own ears rang with the baying. He asked, “Godslayer, what was that noise?”

“That was no demon. That was a Hound of Torak. One this far south means we're in trouble.”