Crossover Fan Fiction / InuYasha Fan Fiction ❯ The Journey to the City of Endless Night ❯ Chapter Nineteen ( Chapter 19 )

[ X - Adult: No readers under 18. Contains Graphic Adult Themes/Extreme violence. ]

Chapter Nineteen

Inuyasha lowered his hands from his ears. “A Hound of Torak? What's that?”

“A very special Grolim. They're not like actual dogs. They're about the size of one of our horses.” Garion looked over towards the spot where the howling came from. “Where there is one another can't be far off.”

Silk whistled. He looked towards Garion. “I think I'm a little under equipped for this. I put my sword in my pack. Ambar doesn't carry one.” He smiled a little. “I don't think one of my daggers will matter to them. I'll go help protect the group, alright?”

Garion nodded. “It'd be for the best. No need to have someone unable to defend themselves here.” Silk nodded. He made his way back towards the horses, leaving the rest to defend themselves from the Hound.

Belgarath joined them, looking grim. “That was a Hound. I told Durnik and Pol to protect the group but we've got no choice but to face it. If we try to run it'll catch us in no time.” He assessed the two demon brothers. “Think you can handle something that size?”

Inuyasha scoffed, crossing his arms across his chest. “Of course we can handle it.”

“Good, cause I'll try to hamstring it while you two face it directly.” Belgarath stepped a bit into the gloom before changing into the form of the great silver wolf. He stood, locking eyes with them. Then he loped away into the darkness.

Garion sighed. “I'd join him but the Orb might scare the Hound more than anything. Get ready, that Hound won't be holding off much longer.”

Around the barricade Inuyasha saw the beast that had made the horrible baying sound. It let loose another piercing howl and Inuyasha cringed. Eyes like green fire shone from the massive head, and the foot long fangs dripped foam. From the looks of it, Sesshomaru in his true form was triple the size of this Hound. The old man hadn't been far off the mark, it was the size of one of the horses. Inuyasha withdrew Tetsusaiga, preparing to battle with it.

Sesshomaru stood not far away, staring down the creature. Inuyasha saw from the corner of his eye his brother remove Tokijin from its scabbard, preparing to attack as well. He nodded once before crossing to the other side of the clearing on the road so to provide two targets to the Hound of Torak.

Garion said, “It's not fully a dog so it can reason. Be careful.” He held his sword at a low point as it stepped into the clearing.

Inuyasha stared at the massive dog before him. He flattened his ears to his skull as it emitted another howl. Then it spoke, the words being garbled. “You'll not pass on this road. I will feast on man-meat as you have more than you're revealing.” It froze, its green eyes glittering with hate. “You, you who killed my master, I will enjoy feasting upon the most.”

Garion stood his ground, looking grim towards the Hound. He held his sword, ready to defend himself from an attack. He said, “We shall see.”

Inuyasha pointed his fully transformed Tetsusaiga at the Hound. “I'd like to see you try and eat me.”

The Hound rasped out what sounded to be a laugh. “I will enjoy feasting on you as well, strange man.” It howled again and this time a scream accompanied it. It was Rin.

Inuyasha glanced over towards his brother. He had re-sheathed Tokijin, his eyes bleeding into red. Apparently the fact that the Hound had frightened the girl was enough for him. There was no time to ask Sesshomaru questions as to why the Hound had angered him this much. Inuyasha backpedaled, leading the Hound towards him and away from the group. He jerked his chin in Garion's direction indicating that he should do the same. Any moment now his brother would attain his true form, one paw missing or not. As they lead the Hound away from the group, Inuyasha looked up noticing Sango riding on Kirara. He nodded, letting her coast until needed.

A tremendous roar followed by the snapping of teeth greeted them and Inuyasha realized that his brother had changed form. The thudding of a paw followed and Inuyasha saw the silver wolf of Belgarath dart to his side. Then his brother, albeit hopping from place to place on three paws appeared. Sesshomaru dwarfed the Hound, his head equaling the size of the entire animal before them. He snapped his jaws a couple of times before slamming his remaining front paw onto the ground next to the Hound.

The Hound squealed, turning to face the new opponent. Its green eyes went wide upon seeing the massive beast in front of it. It backed up as Sesshomaru snapped his massive jaws in its face, poison dripping from them onto the ground. It had not prepared for something bigger than itself.

Garion asked, a little anxious about what was going on, “What is that thing?”

Inuyasha smirked slightly, hoisting Tetsusaiga onto his shoulder. “That'd be my older brother Sesshomaru. Apparently that Hound said something he didn't like.”

“That, that's Sesshomaru? He's enormous.” Garion looked over the massive dog before him. “But he's missing a front paw. That must make it difficult to maneuver.”

Inuyasha sighed. “Yeah, I suppose so.”

Belgarath changed back into his human form. “All the seven Gods, he's huge. That Hound has no chance.” He glared at Inuyasha. “Next time tell us before you put on a big show, alright?”

Sango landed, Kirara remaining in her large form. She said, “I must say, Inuyasha, I've never seen your brother like this. What brought this on?”

“That Hound frightened Rin. I don't know why he didn't just cut him up with Tokijin to be honest.” Inuyasha lowered Tetsusaiga again, preparing to battle if necessary. He'd have to ask Sesshomaru later. At least he wasn't the only one to notice that Sesshomaru had overreacted a little.

Sesshomaru snapped his jaws, dripping poison onto the Hound below him. It squirmed in an attempt to get away from the acid burning into its flesh. The Hound pleaded, “Please, don't.” This only caused Sesshomaru to gnash his massive jaws together. He pinned the Hound down with his remaining front paw, allowing some more poison to drip from his jaws. Then he sunk his claws into the chest, drawing blood. The Hound squealed, unable to dislodge the massive paw pinning him to the ground.

Sesshomaru finally ended the toying with his prey and fit his jaws around the Hound. He shook it a few times before tossing it high into the air. The Hound of Torak fell to the ground, dead. Panting, Sesshomaru turned, his red eyes focusing on the group on the ground. Kirara was dwarfed by him. He then took his human form, stomping towards the group where Rin waited. Inuyasha shook his head. It'd be best to stay out of his way. If anything, he had shown that he was the alpha dog to the Hound.

Inuyasha re-sheathed Tetsusaiga, pausing before he followed the group. The Hound was no longer in the form of a dog but had become a man. He'd have to ask the old man about it later. As he continued, Sango cried out, “Look out, Inuyasha!”

It was too late, a Hound lunged from the shadows sinking his fangs into Inuyasha's back. He screamed, shaking the Hound off. Then he withdrew Tetsusaiga to face off with this new Hound. “Like that pathetic bite will take me down.” The back of his shirt was torn to shreds and blood slowly poured from the gash in his back. Inuyasha scanned for the Hound, Tetsusaiga ready to attack.

Before Inuyasha could do anything, he felt another Hound lunge towards him, and this time it went for the kill. This Hound lunged for his throat, gripping it tightly. Another Hound took advantage of Inuyasha's weakened state to tear into his back. Tetsusaiga fell from his grip as he tried to claw the Hound around his throat away. He stared into the green eyes, his own gold angry. If he didn't get the Hound off his throat he'd not last much longer. It didn't help that he had another Hound clawing at his back. Claws and fangs sunk deeper into his back and he attempted to dislodge it. His claws sunk into the neck of the Hound that had his gripped so tightly between its fangs. The last thing he remembered was the sound of Sango's weapon slamming into the Hound on his back. Everything went black after that.




Sesshomaru stood not far from Kagome's horse, angry at himself for letting the pathetic excuse for an attacker cause him to lose control the way he did. He saw Rin bury her face into Kagome's dress, crying softly in fear. Sesshomaru wanted to be there for the child, holding her, but his anger frightened him. What if he lost control and hurt the child? He couldn't risk that. He looked up towards the night sky, trying to calm himself.

Kagome said, “It's alright, Rin. That big bad wolf won't get you. Sesshomaru-sama and Inuyasha would never let that happen to you. You don't have to be scared of wolves. It's alright.”

Inuyasha's mate was at least trying to calm the frightened girl. Sesshomaru knew what had scared Rin and it really had nothing to do with the Hound he had just killed. It had everything to do with the memory she was having of the wolves that had killed her in the first place. That angered him more than the Hound howling until the child was frightened.

When the Hound had frightened her, the vision of Rin lying dead on the ground after wolves had mauled her to death flooded his vision. Sesshomaru knew it was irrational, undignified, and most likely unjustifiable. His reaction to the beast hadn't been about the one in front of him at all. It had been about the wolves that had killed Rin long ago. The conversation he had had with Inuyasha brought up emotions he had hoped to have buried.

Sesshomaru knew that the child remembered what happened when she was killed. He had heard her in the past mention it in her sleep, whimpering in fear. He had no idea what to do then, what he could say or do to put a stop to the fears tormenting her mind. There was nothing to attack, nothing except the wolves who had done it.

He glanced up towards the night sky, not wanting to lose control again. Now that he was certain that Rin was alright, he stalked off towards the other side of the group, not wanting to see the child cry so. If he was going to regain control over his emotions and put their display from earlier behind him he'd have to tune things out.

He glanced around, looking for his half-breed brother, the Godslayer, and the old sorcerer. None of them seemed to have returned to the horses. He had slain the beast. Sesshomaru wondered what could possibly be holding them back when he heard a scream. It was Inuyasha. He then heard the shouts of the demon slayer and the Godslayer. Something else was going on. He looked over, noticing that Inuyasha's mate had thrust Rin towards the monk, a bow and arrow in her hands. She charged towards the sound of Inuyasha's scream.

Sesshomaru followed. He had to stop her before she got herself hurt. As he neared the clearing where the Hound had attacked, he stopped. Inuyasha's blood smelled different. That's when he realized that his brother, too, had undergone a transformation. He smelt the blood of the Hounds, and the blood of his brother, now in his full-demon status. He had to stop his brother's foolish mate before Inuyasha turned his own claws on the girl. Sesshomaru jumped in front of her, holding his hand out. “Stop right there. You cannot go to him.”

Kagome stared up at him, defiant. “Why not. He's my mate. He's hurt. Let me get to him.” She started to continue around him when Sesshomaru grabbed her arm. “Let me go!”

“No, miko. Inuyasha's too dangerous.”

Off in the distance, Sesshomaru heard the demon slayer ask, “Inuyasha! Are you alright?”

Kagome struggled against his grip. “What do you mean he's dangerous? He would never hurt me.” She pushed against him again.

“Woman, he's not himself. You should understand what I say.” Sesshomaru listened for his brother. He knew the transformation had taken hold. He could smell it. In a few moments his brother would rampage and it would be best to keep the young woman away lest she see it happen or have Inuyasha turn his claws on her.

Kagome's eyes widened. She struggled more. “Let me see Inuyasha! Let me help him! Let me go.” She pushed her bow against his chest, trying to dislodge his grip.

Sesshomaru heard his brother's chuckle as the transformation took full effect. His brother's voice become gravelly as he spoke. “You thought you had me finished, didn't you.”
The demon slayer joined them, landing with the fire cat. She said, “Sesshomaru's right. You can't go to him. He'll kill you.” She started to slide off the fire cat, intending to help hold the girl back

Kagome screamed, “Inuyasha! Don't hurt anyone.” She managed to get out of Sesshomaru's grip, running towards Inuyasha before they could stop her. Sango followed close behind, trying to grab her. It was too late. Kagome had already seen Inuyasha and there was no stopping her.

Inuyasha stood in the middle of the road, his entire shirt torn from him, blood coating his hair, his ears, and his chest. The Hound had tried to rip his throat out and thus released his blood. What chilled Sesshomaru's blood was the fact that his eyes were red and calculating. There was no fear, no pain, no anger. Only blood lust. The jagged stripes on Inuyasha's cheeks reflected his heritage. They, too, were smeared with blood. Inuyasha locked eyes with him briefly, a slight smirk revealing a fang.

All that stood between Kagome and Inuyasha was a Hound. It stood in the middle of the road, growling at the half-breed. It lunged towards Inuyasha. Inuyasha lifted his hand up, slicing the Hound from its upper chest to the belly. He then shoved his fist inside, ripping out the guts. Another Hound, attempting to avenge and finally kill a target they had already thought dead, charged from behind. In speed Sesshomaru had no idea the half-breed possessed, Inuyasha swiped his claws across its throat, cutting the head off. Their bodies landed and Sesshomaru noticed that they no longer looked like dogs but had become human corpses.

Sesshomaru scanned the ground, looking for Tetsusaiga. They had to return it to Inuyasha's hand before he slaughtered everyone. He spotted it lying on the ground, untransformed. Now he had to convince someone to pick it up, take it to the raging half-demon, and slide it into his hand. All this had to be done without getting killed either. A low chuckle brought him back to his brother. Inuyasha's eyes gleamed in the moonlight, locked on a new target. Sesshomaru commanded, “Return his sword to him. It's the only way.”

Kagome had also seen Inuyasha's eyes lock on his new target. She firmly planted herself in between them, shouting, “Inuyasha, don't! This isn't who you are.” A tear ran down her cheek and Sesshomaru wondered if the half-breed would cut his own mate down.

Inuyasha's eyes narrowed as he looked at Kagome. He growled out, “Mate.” Inuyasha gripped her tightly in his grasp, crushing his mouth to hers. He licked her mark and then ordered, “Stay out.” So Inuyasha did recognize her.

Kagome shook her head, blood now staining her dress. She said, “Inuyasha, you don't want to do this.” She pleaded with him, not letting Inuyasha get around her without having to remove her.

Sesshomaru hissed, “Foolish woman, he'll kill you.”

Kagome ignored him. She said, “Inuyasha, this isn't what you want. Please, listen to me.” She kissed the raging half-breed again, trying to soothe him. It seemed to calm him, but only briefly.

Sesshomaru spotted the Godslayer, his sword of blue fire in one hand, the Tetsusaiga in the other. He looked pale and his hands shook. “Fool! Give him the sword! It's the only way to prevent him from slaughtering everyone.” Sesshomaru barked the order at the young man. Right now he was more afraid of what his brother might do in this state than what the sword of the Godslayer might do.

Garion looked at Sesshomaru, shaking his head. He thrust the sword towards him, saying, “You do it. You give it to him.”

Sesshomaru locked his eyes back onto Inuyasha as he snarled at his foolish mate. If they didn't stop him soon, Inuyasha would surely sink his claws into the girl. He said, “I cannot touch the sword. It rejects me.”

The old sorcerer seemed to recover himself as he looked towards Sesshomaru and back towards the Godslayer. He rolled his eyes, snatching the Tetsusaiga out of the Godslayer's hands. “Stupid boy. You rush into everything else but this one time you stand still. Maybe someone knocked some sense into you.” Belgarath slowly approached Inuyasha. He didn't want to alert the rampaging half-breed he was there but it was too late.

Inuyasha turned, his eyes locking on a new target. He snarled at the old sorcerer. A clawed hand dripping blood was raised and ready to slay the old man. A low laugh escaped Inuyasha's throat. The half-breed fully intended to slaughter the old sorcerer much as he had the Hounds of Torak. Sesshomaru knew it and apparently so did Kagome. She screamed, “Sit boy!”

Inuyasha slammed into the ground, immobilized. The old man slowly slid the sword into the raging half-breed's grasp. Inuyasha recovered his wits slowly as his blood calmed, changing him back to normal. His breaths became raspy and he passed out, Tetsusaiga firmly in his grip. Kagome collapsed to the ground next to him, her hand grabbing his free one.

The Godslayer slumped to the ground, the blade of blue fire extinguishing itself. “Belar! What happened to him?”