Crossover Fan Fiction / InuYasha Fan Fiction ❯ The Journey to the City of Endless Night ❯ Chapter Twenty ( Chapter 20 )

[ X - Adult: No readers under 18. Contains Graphic Adult Themes/Extreme violence. ]

Chapter Twenty

Kagome felt hands on her shoulders. She had draped herself across Inuyasha's body, crying softly. His raspy breaths reached her ears and she brushed a stray hair out of his face. “Kagome, you have to let Lady Polgara take care of him. He's too hurt.” Sango gently squeezed her shoulders. “She'll let you stay by him but he can't stay here.” Kagome looked down at Inuyasha's blood smeared face. She bit her lip, turned towards Sango, and sobbed into her shoulder.

“Okay, you lift his feet and I'll get his head. On the count of three.” Miroku's voice reached her ears as they prepared to lift Inuyasha onto a stretcher Polgara had provided. “One, two, three.” A couple grunts could be heard as they hoisted the heavy weight of the half-demon.

Sango eased Kagome back on her feet. Kagome glanced over her shoulder at the limp form of Inuyasha as he rested on the stretcher. If it wasn't for all the blood, his expression would almost look serene, boyish. In one bloody fist, Inuyasha gripped Tetsusaiga. It was the only thing that had stopped him. Kagome squeezed her eyes shut, burying her face into Sango's shoulder again.

Looking around the ground, she noticed the tatters of the hood that Lady Polgara had given to him after he had broken his arm. Along with the red shreds of his hood were the white fragments of his undershirt. Kagome pushed away from Sango, kneeling into the dirt. She picked up a remnant of his hood. It was her fault he was hurt this badly, her fault that he had transformed. She hadn't refused his offer of his fire rat. She should have insisted on asking Lady Polgara for an extra cloak.

“Kagome, they're bringing him to the camp.” Sango grasped her shoulder.

Kagome clutched the fabric scraps to her chest. She nodded, slowly standing up to follow the group. Kagome glanced up, locking eyes with Inuyasha's brother. His cool gold eyes betrayed no expression. She brushed past him, following the litter carrying Inuyasha's battered frame. A hand grasped her upper arm and she turned, looking up into Sesshomaru's face. She wondered why he would stop her. He had already prevented her from reaching Inuyasha once. Why would he hold her from her mate again? “I need---”

“Miko, do not blame yourself.”

Kagome blinked. How did he know what she felt? How did Sesshomaru know that she blamed herself for Inuyasha's transformation? She looked down at the ground, then back into Sesshomaru's golden eyes before wrenching herself from his grip, running after the stretcher. Tears stung her eyes. No matter what the Demon Lord said, it had to be her fault. If Inuyasha had been wearing his fire rat robe he might have had a chance to defeat the Hounds without transforming into his full-demon form.

Rin stood, wearing the fire rat robe. It covered her from head to toe, dragging on the ground behind her as she walked. She looked towards Kagome then to Sesshomaru. The little girl slid the robe off herself, offering it towards Kagome. Kagome knelt down, smiling slightly at the child. She accepted Rin's offer, sliding the robe around her shoulders. “Thank you, Rin.”

Rin smiled wide, hugging Kagome. She said, “Tell Inuyasha-sama it protected Rin from the wolves.” She ran off towards Sesshomaru. Kagome watched as they walked towards the middle of the makeshift camp before she pulled the robe tightly around herself, gathering the fabric bits in her hands. Rin's hand had found its way into the Demon Lord's as she tried to keep up with him. Sesshomaru didn't seem to mind as he didn't resist the touch.

Although she was human and did not possess the enhanced sense of smell that Inuyasha did, Kagome could still smell him in the fabric. His earthy, forest scent invaded her nose. She lifted some of the robe over her head like a hood, continuing down the path. Looking down at the torn hood in her hand, she again felt guilt wash over her for accepting the robe that now draped over her. The tent stood directly in front of her, the only one to be erected thus far. She approached it slowly, glancing at others in the area as they pitched tents and set up camp off the road.

As she neared close to the tent that they had taken Inuyasha, she hugged herself tightly, the cloth bits still in her arms. Kagome entered slowly, seeing Lady Polgara tend to Inuyasha's wounds, cleaning them and placing bandages where needed. Inuyasha looked so pale and fragile. It was something she wasn't used to seeing. Tetsusaiga still remained in his grip, no one willing to remove it in case he should wake and rampage again. She whispered, “I'm sorry, Inuyasha.”

Polgara looked up from her charge. She sighed, wringing out a rag before placing it onto Inuyasha's forehead. “Dear, why don't you sit by him. He'd like that.”

Kagome shook her head. She backed out of the tent, fleeing towards the other side of camp. Slumping to the ground, she held the bloodied fabric bits to her chest. This was all her fault and she didn't deserve to sit by his side. Not right now. A gruff voice broke into her thoughts. “They're just scraps of cloth.”

Kagome looked up, seeing the juggler. She looked back down at the torn hood, blinking back tears. This new traveling member didn't even know Inuyasha, didn't know anything about what happened or why it had to be her fault. Kagome shook her head, and whispered, “It's my fault.”

“Little girl, aren't you being a little harsh on yerself?” He knelt down and for the briefest of instances Kagome thought she saw the deformed dwarf in the acrobat's place. “He did, after all, go off to fight that Hound.” He smiled slightly at her and again she was taken aback by the strange duality taking place. It was as if the dwarf sorcerer and the juggler occupied the same time and space. He placed a hand onto her shoulder. “Come on, yer strange eared boy is going to worry after yer pretty little head if ya stay out here too much longer, don't y' know.” The deformed features melted back into the visage of the juggler, smooth and expressive.

Kagome shook her head, clearing her vision. She stood, still holding onto the fabric bits. Another voice broke through their conversation before she could respond. “I haven't seen anyone go berserk like that since Barak transformed into that bear. What happened out there?” It was Garion and he sounded shaken.

Sesshomaru's quiet voice responded, “His blood was released. His half-breed blood is too strong.”

“Would you mind explaining that?” It was the old man.

“His blood is controlled by Tetsusaiga. If his life should be threatened and he no longer holds the sword, his blood will protect him and give him the extra strength he needs to defeat the threat.”

“What does that mean exactly?”

“What it means is that Inuyasha is a half-demon. Because half of him is also human, his demon blood can overpower his human half and the awful scene we witnessed awhile ago will occur.” Miroku had entered into the discussion. “Fortunately Inuyasha didn't raise his claws against any of us.”

Inuyasha had looked so primal. He had snarled at her, fighting the urge to claw at her when she wouldn't allow him to attack his brother. She could still taste the bitter tang of blood from the kisses they had shared. Inuyasha had crushed his mouth to hers, his tongue forcing its way in. He had been so bloodied, so angry, and so uninhibited.

Garion's voice interrupted her thoughts again when he said, “We still don't know why those Hounds were down here on the road to Mal Zeth. They're supposed to be in Cthol Mishrak protecting the city. Why would they come all this way to pick a fight with us?”

Belgarath shook his head. “I don't know. I've been wondering the same thing myself. It doesn't make any sense. They would've had to have a good reason to abandon the task Torak had set out for them thousands of years ago. We only ran into three. There have to be more back in Cthol Mishrak. I don't know if there are more here but I think someone ought to scan the area to make sure we're not sitting ducks.”

Garion nodded. “I'll do it. I need a good run to clear my system.” He melted away into the darkness.

Kagome held the torn hood to her chest again, a tear trickling down her cheek. She glanced at the tent where Inuyasha rested. She debated with herself if she should attempt entering it, to help take care of him. It was her fault, after all, that he was there in the first place. If she had only refused his offer for his fire rat his blood would have never been released.

Kagome moved towards the tent, tuning out the discussion about what had happened to Inuyasha during the battle. She listened for Polgara, instead. She moved around inside and the tearing of cloth could be heard. Kagome jumped back when she heard Polgara approach the tent flap. The woman stepped through and Polgara's blue eyes locked on hers.

Kagome held up the frayed hood. She looked up at Polgara before casting her eyes towards the ground. “It's alright, dear. We'll fix it when Inuyasha feels better. Why don't you go in and sit with him. I have to get some herbs for some of his wounds.”

Kagome nodded, brushing past the sorceress. She looked at Inuyasha, his chest and face mostly washed clean of the blood. Bandages covered much of his chest and she cringed to think how deep the wounds were underneath. He looked peaceful, relaxed. Kagome glanced back towards the tent flap before she knelt down by him. Dropping the hood remnants by his side, Kagome dipped a rag into the bucket, squeezing the excess water out before she placed it on his forehead.

His jagged stripes still lined his face. Kagome gently ran a fingertip over them, tracing the pattern. Besides the blood on his arms and hands and Tetsusaiga in his fist, these stripes were the only evidence of the horrific transformation he had undergone earlier. They had always intrigued her. Pushing hair out of his eyes, Kagome used another rag to wipe the remaining dried blood from his cheeks, paying close attention to the stripes. She pulled back when she heard Inuyasha grunt, signaling that he was about to wake.



Inuyasha woke to a damp cloth across his forehead. The last thing he remembered was struggling with one of those Hounds. He blinked, trying to clear his blurred vision when he saw Kagome looking down at him, his fire rat draped like a hood over her head. His voice rasped, “Kagome, what happened?” He sniffed, trying to pull back from the stench invading his nose. Inuyasha noticed the blood on Kagome's dress. “Are you hurt? Who's blood is that?”

Kagome replied, “It's yours, Inuyasha. You were wounded pretty bad out there.” She squeezed the water out of a rag, replacing the one from his forehead. “Lady Polgara said she'd be back soon with some herbs.” Kagome seemed detached, distant.

“What happened?” He lifted a hand to push some hair from his face when he noticed the dried blood coating them. Inuyasha's hand shook and he sat up, his head in his hands. He had transformed. That's what had happened out there. He didn't remember anything that happened from the moment the Hound lunged at him between just now. That entire passage of time disappeared in his memory. “Kagome---” He looked up, attempting to make eye contact with his mate. “Did, did I kill anyone in our group?”

Kagome shook her head. She wouldn't make eye contact with him, rinsing a rag in the bucket next to her. Kagome took one of his hands into hers, wiping the cloth across his claws and fingers. Inuyasha pulled back his hand, unnerved by her aloofness. He asked, “Did anything else happen? Is the pup okay? Is Shippo alright?”

Kagome glanced up briefly, her eyes pained. She managed to grip his hand again, wiping blood from it. Her silence deafened Inuyasha almost more than anything else. The only sounds were her breathing and the slush of water. He snatched his hand back again, tilting her chin up to look at him. “Kagome, talk to me. What happened out there?”

Kagome dropped the rag in her hands, throwing her arms around his neck, sobbing. Inuyasha winced slightly, his wounds burning from the sudden contact. He didn't pull away, however, wrapping his arms around her. Apparently what had happened had frightened her. She said something but through her tears it came out incomprehensible. Somehow, without him realizing it, Kagome had climbed into his lap, trying to shrink herself. Something that made sense as “hurt,” “leave,” “blood,” and “fault,” escaped Kagome's lips but the words around those made none. Inuyasha rocked her, disregarding the pain in his torso and neck.

Inuyasha said, “Kagome, I'm alright.” He smelled the blood that still coated much of his hands and hair, realizing that the majority of it was his mixed in with the Hounds that had attacked him. Apparently they were the only things he had slaughtered. He rubbed her back gently. Looking over, Inuyasha saw his reflection in the water from the bucket. He still had his stripes and his ears were covered in blood as well. He must have frightened his mate the way he looked. He nuzzled her neck. “I'm alright.”

Kagome lifted her head up and looked into his eyes, the gold flecks sparkling with unshed tears. She kissed him, her hands going to his hair. Her mouth crushed his. Inuyasha felt her tongue wrestle with his as she smoothed his hair away from his face. When she needed air, Kagome leaned her head down onto his shoulder, her sobs subsiding. She didn't move nor did she speak. Inuyasha placed one hand onto her hair, running his fingers through it. He still hadn't gotten his answer but the sobbing had stopped. Silence filled the tent.

After awhile a soft whisper reached his ears, “I'm sorry.”

Inuyasha lifted Kagome off his shoulder, looking into her eyes. He said, “What do you have to be sorry for? You didn't do anything wrong.”

Kagome tugged on the robe over her head. “I shouldn't have taken this. You needed it.” She slid it off, placing it back around his shoulders.

Inuyasha snorted. “Feh. You were cold and the pup needed it.” He slid into the robe before pulling her close to his chest.. “Besides, who says I wouldn't have done the same thing even if I had it?”

Kagome pulled away and bit her lip while tears formed again in her eyes. She looked down at the ground. She lifted his hood, handing it to him. “It's all that's left.”

Inuyasha held the tattered hood in his hands. He shook his head. “Big deal. I'm sure we can get another one. What matters is that you're alright.” He tossed the torn garment aside. Wincing, Inuyasha tried to sit the rest of the way up. He poked at his ribs gently, feeling that they were all intact.

Inuyasha grunted as he felt Kagome hug him tightly. She kissed him again before she whispered in his ear, “I'm sorry I said the 'it word.”

Inuyasha blinked. She sat him? When did that happen? He didn't remember it happening and then it occurred to him that she probably said it when he was transformed. Laughter escaped him followed by gasps for air as his severely bruised ribs reminded him that they hurt. He hugged her close, breathing in her scent. Inuyasha said, “You never did answer my questions about the pup.”

A sniffle escaped Kagome. She said, “Rin's fine. She's with your brother.” She smiled sheepishly. “She told me to tell you that your fire rat protected her from the wolves.”

“Wolves, huh.” Inuyasha kept what he knew about the little girl to himself. He looked around the tent floor for Tetsusaiga, picking it up. He placed it back into its sheath and placed that onto the tent floor.

Before he could react, Kagome kissed him again, her tongue pushing into his mouth. He grunted against her mouth, adjusting himself into a more comfortable position. Turning the tables on her, Inuyasha leaned her over, kissing her. Disregarding the pain in his ribs, Inuyasha draped himself over Kagome until he rested between her legs. He kissed her neck, brushing hair aside. A soft moan reached his ears and he smiled against her throat.

The tent flap opened and Polgara entered. “I see my patient is awake. How are you feeling, Inuyasha?” She smiled at the two of them as they pulled away, both blushing profusely. “I think you and Garion are trying to put me in my grave with your tendency to find trouble.”

Inuyasha looked down at the ground, chagrined about the whole ordeal. He said, “I didn't exactly try to find trouble. It found me.” Inuyasha shucked the robe off his back.

“That's what he always says, too.” Polgara knelt down. “Well now, let me see what's going on.” She pulled back one of the bandages revealing a deep gash in his shoulder. “It seems your healing about the same as last time. That was a lot larger a half an hour ago.”

“Feh.” Inuyasha snorted as Polgara examined the wounds he had acquired. He tugged his fire rat back on, tying it shut. “I'm fine. Don't baby me.”

“I wouldn't dream of it.” Polgara shook her head. “I wish Garion had your fast healing ability. It'd save me a lot of headaches trying to figure out how to treat him.”

Inuyasha wrinkled his nose. “Any way I could possibly have a bath?”

The sorceress nodded. “Certainly. Just be careful of those bandages.” She stood up, heading back towards the exit. “I'll tell the Old Wolf to set up the tubs. I don't think you're the only one who needs a good bath.”



Sesshomaru sat near the dying fire watching the sunrise. Pale pinks, oranges, and violets streaked across the sky as dawn approached. The camp had fallen silent a few hours ago, leaving the Demon Lord the only one awake. He watched as the stars faded away into the azure glow of daylight. Sesshomaru enjoyed this silence. No one was bickering. No one was in crisis. All that reached his ears from the camp came from the light snores throughout.

He thought about the night before and the events that had taken place. Most of all, he thought of Inuyasha's mate. She confused him. The girl was a human, a mortal. She should have been afraid of his brother. Instead, she did everything she could to reach him. Sesshomaru didn't understand her lack of fear. His brother could have killed her instantly and yet she insisted on standing by him.

Not only had she insisted on being at Inuyasha's side, she had also, although it was unnecessary, tried to protect him from his half-breed brother. He had been so transfixed on finding the Tetsusaiga to put an end to the rampage that he had not realized it. A young human girl had tried to protect him. If it had not been for her command on the rosary around Inuyasha's neck, there would have been no stopping him. She would have easily fallen at his brother's claws. And yet, she had stood in between the two of them trying to reason with Inuyasha.

It wasn't only the events on the road that perplexed him when it came to the young miko. She seemed unafraid of him as well. As long as he could remember, the oddly clothed woman that traveled with his brother held no fear concerning him. He had fought Inuyasha over Tetsusaiga and had attempted to poison her. He had thought he had killed her, but the sword had protected the young priestess. Then, she had had the gall to point it at him and yell.

Sesshomaru had to admit that he had a lot of respect for this girl. She may have been only a human, but the determination in her last night proved to him that he had been right all along when he had convinced Inuyasha she was worthy. The woman had refused to back down to him, rushed into a situation that could likely get her killed, and hadn't panicked.

Not only did the miko stand by his brother, she seemed not to care that he was a half-breed. She didn't frown upon it, she didn't ask him to change, she accepted Inuyasha exactly the way he was. It confused him as to why she would overlook such distinctions. She even looked at him in much the same way, accepting that he was a demon and yet not caring. She held absolutely no prejudice that most humans he came across held. The girl almost looked fondly towards him at times, much as she did with the others around her. Sesshomaru shook his head. Maybe it had something to do with that strange time she came from---this twentieth century.

The sound of footsteps broke Sesshomaru from his thoughts and his brother gingerly sat down next to him. “Thanks a lot for nothing, jackass.”

Sesshomaru blinked. “Is that the way to greet your brother?”

Inuyasha snorted. “It is if your brother runs out half way through the fight leaving you to clean up.” His voice was low. His chest was bare except for a few bandages that Inuyasha currently tried to claw off. He looked up towards the sky as well.

Sesshomaru glared at him before looking back towards the sunrise. He wondered how much Inuyasha remembered from the fight. It was obvious that he remembered his exit. After that, how much did he really recall? The darkness of the night had covered so much and now that daylight was breaking the road looked plain, ordinary. The carnage of the night before seemed almost unreal.

Inuyasha said, “So, what happened out there?”

That answered his question. “Did you not ask your mate?” Sesshomaru glanced at the half-breed from the corner of his eye.

“I tried. All I got was a bunch of crying.” Inuyasha scratched an ear before wincing again. “I figured out for the most part that I lost it out there.”

Sesshomaru sighed. “I was in the process of making sure that Rin was alright when it became obvious that you had been attacked. I smelt that your blood had changed and tried to keep your mate from the area.”

“You did what?” Inuyasha raised a fist towards him.

“To be fair, Inuyasha, you weren't exactly in the frame of mind to see Kagome.” Miroku sat down not far away.

“Stay out of this, monk. This is between my brother and me.” He glared at both Sesshomaru and Miroku.

“He was just doing what he thought was right. I don't think you would have liked it if you had hurt her.” Miroku poked the fire with a stick, trying to bring some life to it.

Sesshomaru watched as Inuyasha backed down, his ears drooping. When he had asked about the monk's involvement with Inuyasha's quest against Naraku, he had known about the Wind Tunnel; he had simply played ignorant about the affair. Yet, as he saw the young man's actions at the inn, Sesshomaru couldn't help but question why Inuyasha would allow it. Why would his brother let such a lecher and thief travel with him? Now it made perfect sense. The monk had the ability to speak some common sense to the half-breed.

Sesshomaru sighed. He remarked, “Before your outburst, I was informing you of what happened.”

Inuyasha glanced over towards him, his legs crossed and his hands holding onto his feet. He nodded. “What did Kagome do?” His voice sounded subdued, matching his facial expression.

“Your mate seemed to agree with you. She fought to get to you.” Sesshomaru watched his brother as the information sunk in. “You then slaughtered the two Hounds that had attacked you. I won't go into detail, but shortly after that you shifted target.”

Inuyasha's eyes remained downcast. “Did, did I go after her?” He looked desperate, afraid that he had tried to slay his own mate.

“No. You were trying to attack me.” Sesshomaru locked eyes with his brother. “She stood in between us. You did recognize her.”

Inuyasha's ears drooped further. “So I went after you instead. Let me guess, that's when she sat me.”

Miroku shook his head. “No. You tried to go after that old man and she sat you before you could harm him. He was trying to give you Tetsusaiga back.”

Another set of footsteps reached Sesshomaru's ears and the old man joined them. He looked over the group. “Well, it's good to see the two of you sitting calmly.” He sat down, warming his hands by the fire. “It seems there are some Grolims who are breaking with your Naraku and the Hounds we came across went with them. Garion said he saw about four more Hounds and about twenty Grolims east of us in a tree clearing.”

Miroku asked, “And what are these Grolims exactly? I have heard that they are religious men.”

“That's depending upon your definition of religious. They're priests of Torak and it seems since his death the church has fractured. We came across those Hounds last night and it seems they and a few other Grolims have defected from the north. This Naraku has stirred up a lot of trouble, I must say.” The old sorcerer pulled a flask from his tunic, taking a drink.

“You mean this Torak was a false deity?”

“No. My grandson had to slay him. It's a very long story.” He recapped his flask. “Let's just say it had to be done although I must say we should have done something about the aftermath.”

Miroku rubbed his chin, mulling it over. He said, “I see.”

“I think it'd be best if we got off this road for awhile. We'll double our way back to Mal Zeth. We don't want to run into that pocket of Grolims and Hounds if we can help it. I've seen enough Chandim for one night, thank you.” Belgarath finished off his flask, placing it back into his tunic.

The large red-haired man joined them, strapping his chainmail on. “Well, Belgarath, what way are we going to go? Are we going to flush that little pocket of Grolims Garion told me about?” He sat down, warming his hands by the fire. He nodded in Sesshomaru and Inuyasha's direction. “These two seem to be pretty helpful when it comes to those over-sized dogs.”

The old man rolled his eyes. “Alorns!” He sighed. “No, Barak. We're going to try and avoid them. Weren't you listening at all?”

The man looked crestfallen. He then laughed. “I only said it to make you do that. That little thief is drawing up plans to Mal Zeth by the back roads. I suggest we stay off the main road. We did put a little display on out there after all.”

Belgarath glared at him before continuing,“After breakfast we'll held a little more south and try to keep a low profile.” The old man glared at the two brothers. “Anything else you two might want to tell me before we continue? Either of you going to sprout wings and fly or anything?”

Sesshomaru looked at his brother. He shook his head. “No.”

“Good. I've already got enough problems with the Alorns in this little outfit going berserk.” He stood up. “I better tell Silk what direction I want us to go into.”