Crossover Fan Fiction / InuYasha Fan Fiction ❯ The Journey to the City of Endless Night ❯ Chapter Twenty Two ( Chapter 22 )

[ X - Adult: No readers under 18. Contains Graphic Adult Themes/Extreme violence. ]

Chapter Twenty-Two

They traveled northward, attempting to stay away from the main road and away from large groves of trees. It'd be best to remain on the back roads and away from any potential confrontation between themselves and anyone waiting to ambush them. Silk rode in the front, keeping an eye on the road ahead. The she-wolf ran along side of them, keeping a distance from the horses so not to spook them.

Inuyasha listened intently for anything that might be out of the ordinary. He glanced over towards Kagome as she held Rin in front of her on her horse. Sesshomaru rode on the other side, facing forward and Inuyasha snorted. The she-wolf really had his brother flustered but he understood. The child had been slaughtered by wolves before his brother had revived her after all. Inuyasha sighed, flicking an ear as he picked up sounds from the other riders.

The smell of morning dew reached Inuyasha's nose. They had left shortly after dawn, hoping that by riding so early they could avoid any altercations they had the previous nights. Sunlight streamed down onto the road as the sun rose higher in the sky through out the morning travel. Inuyasha adjusted in the saddle, trying to find a comfortable position.

He sniffed again, realizing that he noticed less as the day wore on. That could only mean one thing. He inwardly groaned. Of all the times. He knew deep down that he was approaching his human night. How on earth would Inuyasha keep this many people from knowing his secret, not to mention his brother? He'd have to figure that out later when they set up camp later that day.

Inuyasha heard a conversation taking place behind him. It was the rat faced man and Miroku. “So, what exactly did you tell those bandits that other night that angered them so?”

The thief sighed. “Apparently they were not pleased that Ambar of Kotu only had Tolnedran pennies. I figured if I showed that I had little to nothing they might buy the ploy, or simply take all the pennies jingling inside as much more.” He snickered slightly. “They could have gotten what one group of bandits got another time. Pure, unadulterated gravel.”

Sango snorted. “Figures you're looking for tips to swindle, monk.”

Miroku responded, “Sango, how can you ever doubt my intentions?”

“Forget it, monk.” Sango passed Inuyasha joining Polgara.

Miroku sighed. He slipped back into the conversation, asking, “Just what is your name then if you don't mind me asking? I've heard you called so many things that I'm not quite sure.”

Silk ran a hand over his straggly black hair. “I'm Prince Kheldar of Drasnia. Most people I know refer to me as Silk from my Academy days. Ambar of Kotu and Radek of Boktor are my two primary aliases when I want to do some underhanded trading. I ever get a hold of my business partner I'll maybe find out exactly how much I have invested in Malloreon goods.”

“You're a prince, then?” Miroku placed his hand onto his chin. “You don't look royal.”

Silk laughed. “That might have been the best thing anyone has ever said to me.” His nose twitched. “Just what is it that you do?”

“I am a humble Buddhist monk.”

Inuyasha snorted. Just what they needed. The monk and the thief to team up. He tuned out the rest of the conversation not wanting to hear Miroku try to sell his innocence to the thief. Shippo startled him when he felt the small kit land on his shoulder. “What do you think you're doing here, Shippo?”

Shippo shrugged. “I got tired of hearing Miroku lie.”

“Go pester someone else.” He clenched a fist. Inuyasha nearly continued the argument when he smelt the burning of human flesh. Even with his nose losing its potency he had no doubt in his mind what that smell was. He stopped his horse, glancing once towards his brother. Holding a sleeve up to his nose, he called out, “Old man, why is there burning flesh?”

Belgarath roused from his doze. “That would be a sacrifice to Torak. Apparently we're not too far away from a Grolim pocket. What direction are they in, Pol?”

Polgara's eyes fluttered shut. She said, “They're a little to the south of us. Eight of them.”

“Alright. It'd be best to continue on our way before they notice our presence. They'll be busy with that religious observation for at least another forty minutes. It'd be best not to interfere.” The old sorcerer continued on his way.

Inuyasha nearly gagged on the scent invading his nose. He noticed his brother's nose wrinkle a few times at the displeasing smell. Inuyasha watched as the old man continued, slightly disgusted that the old sorcerer wouldn't put an end to what ever was causing the stench. Blood and burning flesh filled the air and he almost wished he had lost his sense of smell sooner than nightfall. He noticed that Kagome also looked slightly ill.

Baying reached his ears and he nearly groaned in frustration. Not again with those hulking dogs. He was ready this time but it would be such an inconvenience. They sounded a little to the north, calling out to one another. The she-wolf darted by, snapping. Much to Inuyasha's surprise, he understood. “Revered-Pack Leader, we are being hunted. We must turn south.”

Belgarath sighed. “We've been set up. They knew we went south and set a trap. We'll have no choice but to spring it.” He turned his horse, heading south. The others followed, heading into the direction of the trees.

Inuyasha glared over his shoulder towards the sounds of the baying. “Shippo, find someone else to ride on.” Shippo nodded, leaping towards Sango's shoulder. Inuyasha spurred his horse on, then leapt off. Sesshomaru surged past him, reaching the grove first. He stood, staring at the trees. Inuyasha joined him, peering through the shadows of the trees. What lay before him repulsed him.

On a makeshift altar lay the source of the smells invading his nose. A naked, dead, human body lay bleeding on it while eight men stood around chanting in some language he didn't quite understand. A fire pit stood not far from the altar, burning what appeared to be the heart of the man that lay dead. Inuyasha choked back bile. This was their religious observance? It was disgusting. Inuyasha leapt up into the trees, staring down at the hideous scene before him. He hissed, “Sesshomaru, go around the other side.”

Sesshomaru nodded, melting into the foliage. Inuyasha glanced down, seeing the group stake their horses away from the road and the trees. The Hounds baying stopped and Inuyasha saw one of the hulking animals enter the cleaning followed by two more. They were black, larger than his horse. Their green eyes held vast intelligence and they sat guarding the entrance to the grove.

The she-wolf also melted into the trees, silently moving. Inuyasha glanced down when he heard Miroku ask, “Inuyasha, what should we do with the little girl and Kagome?”

“Leave them here with one of those sorcerers. Kagome doesn't need to see this.” He turned and jumped further into the trees, careful not to make too much noise. When he stood over the top of the cleaning, he stuck a claw into his shoulder, tossing blood towards the altar. It hissed, flickered and went out before collapsing to the ground in a heap. He then leapt over to the other side of the grove when the men looked up in the direction he had stood.

Sesshomaru peeked around a tree, Tokijin in his fist. He slid the blade silently into one of the Hounds, causing it to scream in pain. The other two Hounds bayed and charged by their pack mate's assassin. By the time they reached their dead comrade, Sesshomaru had joined Inuyasha in the trees. The Grolims were scanning their eyes for the attackers that seemed to be invisible. Inuyasha nodded towards Sesshomaru before he jumped, doing a back flip and landed. He asked, “Looking for something?”

The Grolims stopped, staring at him. They said, “You've defiled our sacred right of sacrifice to Torak. For this you will pay.”

The rest entered the clearing, circling the group. Inuyasha noticed Sesshomaru standing behind one of the men, his hand dripping poison. Before the man could make another threat, Sesshomaru gripped the man, injecting poison into his throat. He dropped him, preparing to take on another opponent.

Inuyasha noticed behind his brother a man that neither had seen stood not far away. His hand glowed and he knew Sesshomaru would be severely hit in the back if he didn't do something. The man unleashed his attack and Inuyasha slammed into his brother, knocking him to the ground. A tree split into three different directions from the blast that the man had unleashed. Inuyasha jumped off his brother, drawing Tetsusaiga in case he needed to block any others.

The man said, “Tsk. Belgarath, you're slipping in your old age. You let me lead you right into this trap and you're letting demons fight for you.”

Belgarath called out, “And just who are you?”

The man stepped into the sunlight and Inuyasha gasped. The old man and this new man looked almost identical. The only difference was the fact that this man looked cruel and malicious. He said, “Don't you recognize one who was your brother for centuries?”

Belgarath gasped, “Zedar! Impossible! I sealed you until the end of days in to that rock under Torak's tower. How is this possible?”

Zedar glanced at the she-wolf. “I see you've brought your wife with you. Poledra, you don't have to run around like a foolish animal.” His lip upturned in a malicious smile.

The she-wolf snarled, baring her fangs. She then shimmered and the tawny-haired woman Inuyasha remembered seeing in the valley stood in her place. Her gold eyes focused on the man before her and she said, “One notes that you have not taken the time to acquire manners.” She glared at him before melting into the trees behind her. Inuyasha couldn't believe how well she had masked her entire scent from him. He had cause to think she smelled familiar but couldn't place why this strange wolf had a scent he recognized. Now it made perfect sense.

Inuyasha turned his attention back to Belgarath when he said, “Zedar, what was the point of springing this trap?”

“You're really losing it in your old age. We have a score to settle old boy.” In speed Inuyasha hadn't prepared for, the man shot a bolt of lighting at the old man.

Belgarath blocked it, causing it to dissipate. He said, “So you'd like to pit your will against mine again, Zedar?” A blue shield draped over him and Inuyasha watched in fascination as the old man unleashed his own power. Belgarath snapped his blue aura over that of Zedar, binding the man.

Zedar fought back, a black one shrouding him and eventually causing the blue to shatter to the ground. He shook his head. “Is that the best you could do?” He unleashed from his palm fire towards the old man, setting the grass ablaze. Inuyasha leapt into the trees, his brother not far behind. “I see that you were a better actor than I thought. How did you manage to pull of such grief so perfectly for a woman who never died?”

Belgarath snarled at him, backhanding the air. “Never, ever speak of my wife or that time again.”

Zedar reeled back as if struck by an invisible hand. He spit out blood. “I see I struck a nerve. Tell me, how is my old master doing?”

“Leave Aldur out of this, too. You betrayed our Master.” Belgarath's hand became blue as he prepared to strike.

Polgara shouted, “Get back! The air is alive. We must stay out.”

The other Grolims still in the clearing had clustered on the opposite side of the grove from their group. They watched in fascination as well as the two old men grappled with one another. A tremendous thunder clap caused Inuyasha to cover his ears and wince. When he looked back down into the clearing, he saw that a lightning strike had struck between the two men creating a massive crater. He had no idea which one had unleashed it. Both men's faces filled with immense hatred.

Belgarath unleashed fire, torching one tree near them. It fell, nearly hitting the other old sorcerer. Zedar counter attacked with another strike of lightning before conjuring a beast that attempted to devour the old man. Belgarath brushed it aside, a giant hand appearing out of no where, gripping Zedar around the waist and flinging him towards a tree trunk. A crack could be heard as bone met hard bark.

“Zedar, you've gotten rusty in the time you've been in that rock. You can't keep up.” Belgarath stepped closer when Zedar unleashed his own attack, knocking the old man back to the ground. The old man stood up, gesturing with his hand. The severity of that gesture wasn't realized until Zedar flung back as if being slapped.

Zedar turned, gesturing as well. A tree burst into splinters behind Belgarath which without looking the old man stopped in mid air, letting them fall to the ground. Zedar unleashed another beast, this time bigger than before. It lunged towards Belgarath, grabbing the old man. Belgarath smashed lighting towards it, forcing it to release him. He said, “Your illusions are still weak, Zedar.”

Zedar began to grow before Inuyasha's eyes, swelling. He started to tower over the old man until he realized that Belgarath also grew. With the growth in height, the severity of their attacks increased and a bolt of lightning unleashed by Zedar crashed into a tree cleanly cutting it in half. They stopped growing in size when they towered over the trees themselves. Belgarath lunged at his opponent, punching him in the face. Zedar reeled back, spitting blood.

Zedar looked almost remorseful. He said, “Things have a funny way of repeating themselves, don't they, Belgarath?” He then grinned maliciously, lunging towards the other old sorcerer. He attempted to punch him but Belgarath held his hand back before locking his own hands around Zedar's throat. Clawing at the old man's hands, Zedar kneed Belgarath in the gut. Belgarath let go but not before unleashing another explosion that knocked back Zedar.

Inuyasha scrambled to another tree trying to avoid the falling giant. He watched the old man's expression grow into full hate as he charged towards Zedar's huge form. Belgarath lifted Zedar by his black robe. He flung him against the trees opposite of them, causing them to fall under his weight. Zedar shrunk down to his original size, staring up at the enormous man before him. Belgarath pointed a finger, preparing to unleash another bolt of lightning.

Zedar looked desperate, backpedaling away in an attempt to avoid his impending death. He transformed into a raven, flying into the air. Belgarath watched him, striking one last bout of lighting at the bird. It squawked, feathers flying in different directions. He resumed his original size as well, the expression of an irritable old man replaced by that of a powerful sorcerer. His blue aura shimmered, displaying the power that lay just below the surface.

Belgarath began to curse profusely, pointing at random trees. In separate detonations the trees burst apart. He panted, catching his breath. “He should have never been able to get out of that rock!” Another tree burst, splintering into the ground. Stalking off towards the horses, he continued to rant, unleashing his rage on random trees.

Inuyasha let his breath go. He had no idea this man could wield such power. He knew the man could shape shift, but this? He had no idea that the old man could unleash nature, create such force just with a word. Before he could jump down to return to the horses, he felt someone slam into him, crushing him into the ground. Sesshomaru's face was above his, his hand on his throat. His eyes were angry, a fang bared at one corner. Sesshomaru snarled, “Half-breed, never, ever, push this Sesshomaru into the ground again.”

Inuyasha gripped Sesshomaru's wrist. He kicked his brother in the stomach. Once Sesshomaru was off of him, he rubbed his neck. “What is the matter with you? Did you not see what happened to that tree? It could have killed you, jackass.” He looked around the demolished grove of trees before returning his gaze to his brother. Sesshomaru stood stiff, staring at the same destruction. “Come on, we better get back to the group.”

He began crossing the clearing and when he reached the edge, he turned, looking back towards Sesshomaru. Sesshomaru's golden eyes locked with his own and Inuyasha noticed a flicker of fear and then confusion which caused him to shake his head. He turned his back, exiting to the horses. Kagome rushed towards him, gripping him in a tight hug. Inuyasha grunted.

Kagome asked,“Are you alright, Inuyasha?”

Inuyasha nodded. “I'm fine. We should probably get out of here.” He looked around, noticing that the remaining Grolims and Hounds had bolted. He climbed onto his horse. What had just happened numbed him slightly. The raw power that had been unleashed had overwhelmed his senses, albeit ones that were dimming as nightfall neared. He glanced up towards the sky, realizing he had maybe four hours left before being rendered human. They must reach a camp for the night soon so he could protect his secret.