Crossover Fan Fiction / InuYasha Fan Fiction ❯ The Journey to the City of Endless Night ❯ Chapter Twenty Three ( Chapter 23 )

[ X - Adult: No readers under 18. Contains Graphic Adult Themes/Extreme violence. ]

Chapter Twenty-Three

Sesshomaru stood staring up at the sunset. He thought about the events of the day, going over what he had seen and what had happened. The strange humans they traveled with had displayed that they had their own abilities and power in such a way that it chilled his blood. He had seen demons exhibit similar abilities, but to see humans wield such immense power unnerved him. The vast hatred and immortal struggle that he had witnessed perplexed him. They had mentioned that they had at one time been brothers. How could one undo familial ties and erase bloodlines? Was this how he and his brother looked when they had fought nearly to the death in the past?

Sesshomaru sighed, watching as the last remaining reds and golds disappeared into the blues of night. Most of all he thought about what Inuyasha had done in the midst of the fight. Why had his brother protected him? Why had Inuyasha pushed him out of the way of the sorcerer's attack? It could very well have hit Inuyasha if he had been one second slower. It didn't make sense to him as to why his half-breed brother would go out of his way to protect him when it could very well have killed him. The force that burst the tree to splinters proved this.

It also confused him as to why the possibility of Inuyasha's demise angered him. When he had reacted with anger towards Inuyasha after the fight had ended, it had been out of fear that his brother might have been killed. Why? Why would he grow so furious over something he had tried to cause in the past? Sesshomaru shook his head. It did not make sense. The actions of his brother and his subsequent feelings dumbfounded him. They had fought with one another for years, violently. For his brother to protect him in the midst of a fight eluded his understanding.

A conversation by the fire caught his attention. “I don't get it. How could someone undo what I did to Zedar?” Belgarath stood pacing. “He seemed different, too. Zedar has never been one to be so maliciously cruel. He's been foolish in the past, regretful, but never that cocky. He was different. Perhaps he's gone mad under all that rock.” He sat down, drinking from a flask.

Polgara sighed, “Father, you're going to drive everyone nuts with your pacing. I'm sure we'll figure out why Zedar did what he did and how he was unsealed from that rock.” She stirred something over the fire.

The monk asked, “Just who is this Zedar?”

Belgarath stared off into space a moment before replying, “A long time ago he was my brother. We served the same Master and after the cracking of the world and the theft of the Orb, Zedar grew obsessed with it. He was known as Belzedar then. He chose to become a disciple of Torak, my Master's enemy and the thief of the Orb.”

Miroku nodded. “I see. So he chose to follow another God than yours? Is he not still your brother, though?”

Belgarath shook his head. “We were only brothers as long as he was a disciple of my Master. We're not blood brothers.” He sighed. “The fool thought he could resist the will of a God. He figured if he got close to Torak, professed to follow the faith of the Dragon God, and pretend to be a disciple he could retrieve our Master's Orb. He was mistaken. Torak's will crushed him and he became Zedar and no longer Belzedar.” Belgarath drank again from his flask. “What I don't understand is how someone managed to undo what I did. That's not how it works.”

Polgara said, “What if one of the demons or this Naraku have something to do with it?”

“Don't start on the what ifs, Pol. Once you get going you never stop and I have to listen to what if this and what if that. Let's just find the facts out and leave it at that.”

The strange tawny-haired woman who had appeared as the wolf before Zedar outed her joined the old man. She said, “One wonders if you will be at this all night.”

Belgarath's expression softened. He grasped her hand. “No, no.”

Sesshomaru turned from the conversation when he heard Kagome plead with his brother. Kagome stood outside of the tent she and Inuyasha would share. Her hands were on her hips and she shouted, “Come out here this instant, Inuyasha!”

“Leave me alone.” Inuyasha's voice sounded subdued. “I'm not coming out. You can forget it.”

“Inuyasha! Let me in at least. What has gotten into you?” She crossed her arms. Her voice became soft and sweet. “Please? For me?”

“No. Stay out there, wench. I'm not coming out.”

Sesshomaru sniffed, realizing what was going on. Inuyasha had become human. As the sky darkened after the sunset, Sesshomaru noticed that the moon was absent from the sky. The moonless night was his brother's night of mortality. He crossed towards Inuyasha's mate. He snorted. “Foolish half-breed thinks he can hide in a tent.” Pushing aside the flaps he looked inside, noticing Inuyasha sitting in a dark corner.

Inuyasha looked up, his hair jet black. The familiar ears were gone, human ones at the side of his head replacing them. His fangs had disappeared along with them. What caught Sesshomaru's attention the most were the deep violet eyes that glared at him. They held such fear and anger. “What are you staring at, jackass?” In Inuyasha's fist was Tetsusaiga, still sheathed.

Sesshomaru was taken aback by the appearance of his brother. He let the tent flap fall behind him. “I see you have come to your night of mortality.”

“Ya think? Just what type of logic helped you arrive at that conclusion? To think they call me dense.” Inuyasha yanked the new hood Polgara had provided with a clawless hand, casting his face into shadow. He gripped Tetsusaiga tighter, pulling it against his chest. “Now you know. What you going to do about it?” Inuyasha sounded defeated, resigned to whatever fate may befall him now that his secret of this most vulnerable of nights had escaped.

“Do not be stupid, Inuyasha.”

He noticed a slight smile touch the lips of his brother. Inuyasha said, “I suppose I am for thinking a tent would keep this from you.” He turned his back on Sesshomaru. “It's funny. I've been full, half, and none in the past week.”

“And a fool in all three.” Sesshomaru sat down, adjusting himself on the tent floor.

Inuyasha glanced over his shoulder, the stark difference in the violet eyes than his normal gold again startling Sesshomaru. His shoulders were held down and Sesshomaru figured if his normal ears had been present that they would be drooped. “So what do you want, anyways? Am I just here to entertain you?” His comments held none of the usual bite.

“Why did you push me out of the way today?”

Inuyasha lifted his eyes up before casting them down. “What should have I done? Let it smack you in the back?” He clutched Tetsusaiga tighter. A soft whisper reached Sesshomaru's ears, “Because you're my only brother.”

Sesshomaru's eyes grew wide before he let his usual expression settle. “You do not have to protect this Sesshomaru.”

Another smile crossed his lips. “I suppose not.” Inuyasha's subdued tone perplexed Sesshomaru. He was about to respond when Inuyasha whispered, “You know, I've spent my whole life hating this night, wanting to be like you. Maybe I wouldn't be such the fuck up I am, then.” Inuyasha looked up, his eyes locking with his. The self-loathing that swirled inside them unnerved Sesshomaru.“Maybe I wouldn't shame you so much, either.”

Sesshomaru interrupted, “Inuyasha---”

Inuyasha turned his gaze towards the back of the tent. “Don't. Don't tell me I haven't shamed you in the past. We both know we've had our disputes.” The hood obscured Inuyasha's profile. Sesshomaru wondered why his brother was saying these things to him. Why was his brother being so candid? Where was the cocky, self-assured half-breed he had come to expect?

Again Sesshomaru attempted to interrupt, “Inuyasha---”

Inuyasha turned around, facing him. He said, “I'm not stupid. I know I'm the fuck up of the family. I'm a half-demon, an abomination. I'm Father's mistake. Rather he wanted me or not I made him an outcast.” He squeezed the hilt of Tetsusaiga tighter. “Every time I have this night I think about what I could have been and wish I was a full demon.” It seemed almost as if Inuyasha was talking to himself. His scent was mixed with confusion, fear, anger, and loneliness.

“Enough. That is enough, Inuyasha.” Sesshomaru barked it as an order, in an attempt to break his brother from this self-hatred. It was not productive, it served no purpose except to upset Inuyasha. “I will not listen to this foolishness.”

Inuyasha jumped as if struck. He looked towards Sesshomaru before casting his eyes down to the ground. “No one told you that you had to stay in this tent with me, you know. You can leave anytime.”

“I choose to remain in this tent.”

Sesshomaru reflected on the conversation that had taken place outside in the camp. The hatred the two brothers expressed in the tree clearing shook him. Seeing his brother almost broken by the fact that he had discovered the secret of his human night struck a nerve inside. Had they really been as awful as the two brother sorcerers in their eternal struggle and hatred of one another? It was in the past. It was petty, stupid, and pointless to continue the fight.

All this time, his brother had aspired to be like him, to be strong and a full demon. Inuyasha hadn't ever hated him. Instead he had desired to be like him, so no longer to be considered an outcast, a reject. Behind all of this self-loathing it became clear to Sesshomaru that his brother had spent his life wishing to be accepted by his elder brother. This admission stunned him, one he never thought he'd hear. Looking into his brother's eyes he found that he understood if only slightly. It was this night, this night of humanity where emotions clouded his mind and allowed him to disclose things he wouldn't otherwise that permitted Inuyasha to admit this to Sesshomaru.

Sesshomaru reached his hand out, placing it onto Inuyasha's shoulder. “We must keep your transformation secret.”

Inuyasha's violet eyes locked onto his golden. They flickered full of surprise than flashed to anger and Inuyasha said, “You don't have to protect me, either.” Because Sesshomaru hadn't prepared, it allowed Inuyasha to land a punch square on his chin before fleeing the tent.

Sesshomaru rubbed his chin, slightly stunned. He clenched his hand into a fist. “Stupid half-breed!” Sesshomaru exited the tent, seeing Kagome standing not far away from the entrance. Inuyasha had run towards an unoccupied section of the camp, his hood pulled up completely. He stared up at the sky, his hands holding his feet as he sat in the grass.

Sesshomaru started to cross towards him to convince him back into to the tent when Kagome said, “Don't. You'll only make him run farther. He'll cool off and come back to the tent.” She sighed. “I should have known. He set that tent up so fast and disappeared in it and wouldn't let me in. I should have guessed he'd be human tonight.”

Sesshomaru looked towards Inuyasha's mate then back towards Inuyasha. Confusion and fear filled Inuyasha's scent and he realized that he must have felt lost without his senses. Unable to smell or hear the world around him in its normal potency must have unnerved the half-breed. Inuyasha twirled Tetsusaiga in between his hands absentmindedly. Without his demon blood he must not be able to transform the sword, either. The way the half-breed clutched it, Sesshomaru knew that it was a crutch when all else disappeared and left him powerless.

Kagome asked, “So what made him run anyways? What did you say to him?”

Sesshomaru said, “I only suggested that we keep his transformation a secret.” He paused, rubbing his jaw again. “He punched me and fled.” He chose to keep the rest of the conversation to himself, deeming it a private one between himself and his brother.

Kagome hid a giggle behind her hand. “Oh dear. I shouldn't laugh.” She sighed. “You might want to stay away from him tonight.”

Sesshomaru shook his head. “Absolutely not.”

Kagome's eyes looked confused. She glanced towards Inuyasha. “He's going to be intolerable tonight, trust me.”

Sesshomaru glanced towards the rest of the camp and then back to the solitary figure of Inuyasha. While they had been traveling with these people for some time, he did not trust them enough to let them know of his brother's night of mortality. It was out of the question for his brother to be alone and unprotected, especially if Naraku should discover this secret. It was imperative that it be kept quiet and the less who knew of Inuyasha's humanity the better. “Gather your companions and bring them to this tent.”

Kagome's gold speckled eyes grew more confused. She nodded that she understood after a few moments and then joined the demon slayer and monk by the fire. They crossed back and the monk said, “We should put two tents together.”

Sesshomaru watched the pair dismantle a tent and move it over towards the one his brother had put up. They struggled with it before getting the two to form one tent and entered. Sesshomaru noticed that Kagome had joined Inuyasha, sitting down into the grass. She leaned her head onto Inuyasha's shoulder, whispering to him. His arm slipped around her shoulders and pulled her close. After awhile, they both stood and Inuyasha followed her towards the tent.

Before they could arrive, Sesshomaru noticed that the Godslayer approached, questions in his blue eyes. He asked, “Is everyone alright over here?”

Sesshomaru stood between Inuyasha and the Godslayer, blocking his view. He said, “It is of no concern of yours.”

“Did someone get hurt in that fight earlier today?” Garion tried to peek around Sesshomaru to see what was going on. “I'll have Aunt Pol look them over if they did.”

Sesshomaru saw his brother from the corner of his eye. The hood hid his face completely but Sesshomaru didn't feel comfortable with the Godslayer peering in the darkness to see what was going on. He gripped the young, sandy-haired man by the front of his shirt and hissed, “Stay out. It does not concern you.”

Garion held his hands up in surrender, backpedaling away. “Alright, alright. I'll leave you alone but if someone's hurt you really ought to let Aunt Pol see them.” He continued to back up. “Grandfather said that he wants to talk to everyone soon, too.”

Sesshomaru snorted. He said, “I will send someone.”

Garion nodded, shaking his head as he returned to the camp. Sesshomaru knew it had been dangerous to threaten the Godslayer after the days display of power from the sorcerers, but the need to keep Inuyasha's secret came first. He turned around, noticing that Inuyasha's violet eyes were trained on him. They were confused, questioning what had occurred. Kagome let go of Inuyasha's hand, entering the tent. Inuyasha asked, “What did he want?”

“To know if someone was wounded. Go inside the tent. It'd be best if you were away from sight.” Sesshomaru turned back around, watching the group around the fire. The tent flap moved and he heard Inuyasha enter.

Rin ran up to Sesshomaru, hugging him. She asked, “Sesshomaru-sama, are we staying with Inuyasha-sama tonight?”

Sesshomaru kept his eyes on the group around the fire. He nodded. “Yes, Rin. Go inside the tent.” He waited for her to enter and when Sesshomaru was satisfied that the group would not encroach on the tents, he too entered, sitting down in front of the flap.

Inuyasha sat in a corner, his arms crossed over his chest. He glared at Sesshomaru briefly before looking over the rest of the group. Irritation had slipped into his scent. He said, “I'm not a pup, you know. You don't all have to babysit me.”

Kagome smiled. “We're not babysitting you. It's just that we all care.” She leaned her head onto his shoulder.

Rin peered from around Sesshomaru's shoulder. She whispered, “Is that you, Inuyasha-sama?”

Inuyasha's violet eyes softened when he looked at Rin. He nodded. “Yes, it's me. Don't get used to it. I'm only like this tonight.”

Kagome pulled out her yellow bag. “Well, I guess while we're stuck in this tent for the night I should try to get some homework done.” Her shoulders slumped. “I'm so far behind.”

Miroku and Sango exchanged glances. Miroku asked, “Is that wise?” His head tilted in Sesshomaru's direction.

Sesshomaru said, “I know of her other time. Do not be foolish.”

Kagome nodded. “It's fine.” She took out a notebook, leafing through it. “I don't even know where to begin.”

Inuyasha crossed his arms and glared at the young miko. He said, “Why are you going to waste your time on that stupid stuff?”

Kagome's shoulders squared and she said, “Because if we ever get home I'd like to actually be caught up for a change before I get a whole lot more homework to do.” She didn't look at him. She pulled the strange cards out of her bag. “Here, you can play with these, you guys. I'm sorry, they've been marked, though.”

“Oh, what a shame.” Miroku had his hand on the back of his neck, looking smug.

“Figures you'd have them marked, monk.” Sango took them. “Would you like to play, Shippo?”

Shippo nodded. “Sure.”

“I don't know why you don't just quit that school stuff anyways.” Inuyasha huffed from his corner apart from the other three. He stuck his nose in the air, casting his disdain on the homework and the card game. It seemed as if his entire mood had changed from one of self-loathing to one of irritability, a mood Sesshomaru was much more accustomed. At least it was a feeling he could understand, even if he still puzzled about the earlier admissions of his brother.

Kagome whirled around, her nose inches from Inuyasha's. “Maybe because I want to be educated!”

Inuyasha responded without moving from his spot, “It's a waste of time! We have more important things to do than worry about your stupid math homework. What ever that is.”

Sesshomaru rolled his eyes. His brother was going out of his way to pick a fight with the miko. It was obvious. He glanced over towards the monk, demon slayer, and fox kit as they played their card game. They seemed to be ignoring the situation brewing, and acted as if nothing was happening. He saw Rin hide behind his shoulder, watching intently.

Kagome shoved her finger in Inuyasha's face. She hissed,“You're so lucky you're human tonight, buddy. I'd 'it you so hard you'd make a crater otherwise.” She turned her back on him, attempting to accomplish something on her strange homework. The scowl on her face indicated that she would not have much luck.

“Oh yeah!” Inuyasha turned his back on her as well. “I still say it's stupid to waste time on that.”

Kagome slapped her hand onto the lined paper in front of her. “Quit being such a jerk, Inuyasha! The sooner I get this done the less we'll fight about it.”

Inuyasha mocked her, mouthing what she had just said before rolling his eyes and pouting. He glanced once over his shoulder at her, glaring in her direction. Sesshomaru shook his head. This was getting out of hand and the immaturity level of the whole affair disgusted him. Sesshomaru was about to put an end to the foolishness when he saw the demon slayer shake her head. She mouthed, “Don't.” She leaned over whispering, “If you get in the middle they'll both turn on you and fight with you instead. They're bored.” Sesshomaru sighed. So he was stuck with their petty fight.

Kagome said, “You're so lucky I can't go home, did you know that? You're so infuriating! Why must you be such a jerk!”

Inuyasha muttered, “You'd probably rather be with that mangy wolf, too.” He sounded sarcastic and irritable.

“What did you just say, Inuyasha?” Kagome's hands were clenched into fists at her sides.

“Nothing. Just do your stupid fucking homework.” He turned back around completely, sticking his nose into the air.

“Inuyasha, what's the matter with you?” She leaned over so her face was in his.

“Nothing.” He cast his eyes down to the ground.

“I heard you say that about Koga.” She glared at him.

“What you going to do about it?” He glared back at her, his expression not backing down. “I said you'd rather be with him.”

Kagome flinched as if hit. She hissed, “Inuyasha, you're such an ass.” She went to the other side of the tent, her back turned on everyone.

At this development in the fight, Sesshomaru noticed that the monk and demon slayer shook their heads and looked disappointed. The young kit had a strange object in his mouth that he sucked on. He took it out, remarking, “What an idiot.”

Inuyasha stood, pointing a finger at the kit. “I should smash your head in for that, Shippo.” He started to advance on the kit when suddenly his shoulders slumped and his eyes looked pained. “Kagome, don't.”

Sesshomaru flicked his eyes back and forth. The young girl was crying. That much was obvious from the way she slumped and the way his brother looked guilty. He sighed. This fighting was petty and foolish. Apparently they did this often and Inuyasha had crossed a line he shouldn't have.

Kagome's shoulders shook slightly and Inuyasha sat down by her. He said, “I didn't mean it, Kagome. Don't cry.”

She didn't move, replying, “Is that what you think? That'd I'd rather be with Koga?”

Inuyasha glared at the group in the tent. “Quit staring.” His eyes softened when he turned back to her, and he reached a hand out towards Kagome, resting it on her shoulder. “Look, you can sit me if you want.”

Kagome looked up before hugging him. She said, “You know I don't, right?”

Inuyasha nodded. “Yeah. Get your homework done. I'll leave you alone.”

Sesshomaru sighed in relief. Hopefully the fight would be over and they'd become quiet. If the rest of the night was this way he'd have to consider taking the miko's advice. The mood swings his brother was having nearly drove him insane. He poked his head out of the tent, noticing that those around the fire had also stopped their activities to stare in their direction. He ducked back into the tent. “I suggest you quit your petty fight before everyone comes rushing in.”

Inuyasha glared in his direction. “You, stay out.”

Polgara's voice could be heard outside. “What is going on over here?”

Sesshomaru stiffened before he exited the tent, standing in front of it. He said, “None of your concern.”

“What was all that shouting about?” Polgara had her arms crossed, glancing at the tent.

“The matter does not concern you.” He stood firm.

Polgara shook her head. “Why did you threaten Garion? What are you hiding?”

Before Sesshomaru could respond, the tent flap opened and Inuyasha stood outside. Polgara gasped and Sesshomaru turned to face Inuyasha. He snarled, “You idiot half-breed. Go back inside.”

Inuyasha glared at him, the firelight reflecting in his violet eyes. “I have to piss. I'd think you'd rather I do that outside than in there.” He stomped past him heading away from the tents.

Polgara asked, “Is that Inuyasha? What happened? Did Zedar do that?”

“No. He's a half-breed. It is his night of mortality.” Sesshomaru glared towards his brother. The stupidity of exiting the tent angered him. Here he was trying to keep Inuyasha's secret and instead it was the half-breed letting it escape.

“This changes things. Father will want to talk about it.” Polgara watched as Inuyasha made his way back towards the tents. She said, “Why didn't you tell us about it?”

Sesshomaru looked from the woman to his brother. “Because if our enemy should discover this, he shall use it against him.”

Inuyasha joined the two of them. He said, “I told you I didn't need you to protect me. Quit treating me like a pup.” He glanced towards Polgara, his eyes defiant. It seemed the bout of feeling defeated from earlier had melted away into his usual demeanor.“So, what do you want, anyways?”

“Father wants to discuss some things and it is supper time.” Polgara looked from Sesshomaru to Inuyasha. “I must say this changes things, however.”

“So what. I'm human tonight. By sunrise it won't matter anymore. Big deal. There isn't anything more to say about it.” He glared at Sesshomaru. “And you, quit acting like I caught a disease. I'm not dying, alright? So just back off.” Sesshomaru hid a small smile. Inuyasha's mood was almost back to normal, a welcome respite from earlier.

Kagome exited the tent, looking around. “Hey, Inuyasha, did you want to come back in and play some cards?” She stopped. “Oh, hello there, Lady Polgara.” A smile crossed her face and she grasped Inuyasha's hand before he could protest.

Sesshomaru rolled his eyes. The little miko had his brother completely under her control. Inuyasha snorted. “We have important things to do.”

“Oh?” Kagome sighed. “I”ll just bring the cards with me then.” She let his hand go briefly, telling the remaining three in the tent to come out. The monk held the cards and handed them to her. “Well, shall we go?” Her hand easily slipped back into the half-breed's and they followed Polgara towards the fire.

Sesshomaru sighed. This was going to be a very long night. He saw Rin peek from around the tent flaps, before smiling wide. She ran to him, hugging his leg. He picked her up, following the rest of them to the fire. He sat down by the dark haired emperor of Mallorea, waiting for supper and what ever discussion would follow.

Inuyasha took his seat by Garion. Kagome sat down next to him, leaning her head onto his shoulder. She set the cards down in front of them. Inuyasha said, “Well, we better get this over with.”

Belgarath looked across the fire, appearing as the irritable old man as he had before the day's power struggle. He said, “I see you've changed, Inuyasha.”

“Big deal. Will everyone quit looking at me like I'm some type of sick person? I'm not dying, okay?” He crossed his arms, glaring at everyone around the fire.

Belgarath cleared his throat. “Well, as you all know we had an altercation earlier today. I'm not quite sure what it means just yet, but it appears that my former brother Belzedar has returned.” He sighed. “This changes things quite a bit. Because he was sealed in the rock underneath Torak's tower, I have to question if your Naraku fellow might have something to do with it. How he accomplished such a feat is beyond me.”

“Do you think he will cause trouble for our traveling party?” The monk asked.

“I can't be too certain. I do know he has a score to settle with me. Whether he is with this Naraku or not is also questionable. All I ask is that if you start getting any strange notions or behaving in ways that you wouldn't in any normal circumstance you come to Pol or myself. We'll handle it.” Belgarath slipped a flask out of his tunic. He said, “Zedar most likely will use tricks of the mind after what happened today. He won't be likely to try direct confrontation again anytime soon.”

Polgara dished everyone a bowl of soup. She said, “We should be in Mal Zeth by mid-afternoon tomorrow. Even with all the backtracking we did we're almost there.” She sat down with her own bowl. She looked towards the tawny-haired woman. “Mother, how are things in the Vale?”

“They are the same.” Poledra dipped some bread into her bowl. “The twins said they have heard from the Alorn Council. They have decided to unanimously back our endeavor and will speak with the other nations of the West about the situation.”

Belgarath nodded. “Good. One less thing for me to worry about.” He set his bowl aside. “Enough with the business. What are those you have, young lady?”

Kagome blushed slightly. She picked up the strange cards. “They're playing cards.”

Silk smirked. “Those again? I say we play. Who's in?”

Barak held his hands up. He said, “If you're in, I'm out. I'm not going to get cheated out of my stuff by you.” The big red bearded man shook his head. “The rest of them can but I won't.”

Mandorallen also backed down. “Methinks I'd be better off not accepting thy offer, Kheldar.”

“Come on, anyone?” Silk's nose twitched and Sesshomaru wondered what devious plot the thief had in mind.

The monk said, “I'd gladly play. Count me in.”

Sango said, “If he's in, I'm out. He's already cheated twice tonight.”

Shippo said, “I think I'll pass.”

Kagome said, “I'll play, too. How about you, Inuyasha?”

Inuyasha stuck his nose in the air. “Last time he cheated. I'm not playing.”

Rin looked up towards Sesshomaru, her eyes pleading. “Please? Can we play?” Sesshomaru looked from the child to those around the fire. His brother smirked at his predicament and Sesshomaru glared at him. Inuyasha was certainly lucky the child sat in his lap and that the half-breed was currently human. His shoulders slumped slightly and Rin clapped her hands.

Belgarath shook his head. “I'm sorry, Silk. I'll watch but I'm not going to get involved, either.

Ce'Nedra also shook her head. “I'm a Tolnedran. I won't part with my money.”

Durnik held up his hands. “I'm an honest man. I wouldn't make it past one round.”

Garion sighed. “I suppose. I'll play.”

Feldegast smiled. “Yer all a bunch of chickens, don't ya know? Count me in yer game.”

Zakath sighed. “I'll play even if I regret it. I'm sure you'll swindle us all out of our money, Silk.”

Silk looked shocked. “Me? Swindle? When?”

Kagome shuffled the deck, tossing cards in small piles to each player. She said, “The rules of the game are this, three cards of the same number or the same color and shape are a set and the one who has the most points and no cards left wins.” She set the stack in the middle of the group of players, turning one card face up next to it. It was a picture of a strange king. “This is the discard pile.” She pointed towards the card. “This is the deck you draw from.” She pointed towards the deck. “Dealer starts last.” She looked over the group, realizing that Sesshomaru was first to her right. “Sesshomaru-sama, you start.”

Sesshomaru sighed. Why couldn't the game have begun with someone who understood the rules? The small, slippery objects were hard to hold in one hand and he delegated that to Rin, deciding that she could handle it. Looking over her shoulder, he saw three cards that looked similar. Three fours. The rest of the hand had nothing he thought would be productive. Rin asked, “What do we do when we have something the same in our hands?”

“You set it down, Rin-chan.” Kagome responded, smiling.

Rin looked up at him, asking. She nodded, setting them down. She then selected a card from their hand, setting it down into the discard pile. Sesshomaru wondered why he had been placed into this situation. He looked at the faces of those around the fire, noticing that both the monk and the thief had smug expressions. This was going to be a long game, one he didn't quite understand how he had gotten himself into.

The Emperor sifted through his hand next. He sighed. Drawing a card, he set it into his hand and discarded another. Apparently his hand had nothing in it and he was left to discard. He looked displeased with the outcome.

The monk came next, his smug expression increased. He snatched the entire discard pile, including the card Rin had discarded, setting down four cards in front of him. They pictured four different queens. Setting down three more cards Sesshomaru noticed that they were three kings. He then discarded a card that had a two on it, leaving him with two cards in his hand. “Well, that was nice.”

Garion grumbled by Inuyasha, “Great, just what we need, another Silk.”

Sesshomaru saw his brother nod, his arms crossed as he glared at the card game. His hood hid his darkened hair and his violet eyes missed nothing. Inuyasha replied, “Now you know why I didn't play.”

The juggler's turn came next and he too laid down a set. It was three tens. He drew a card and discarded it immediately much to the thief's fortune from the way the man's nose twitched more and his smile increased. He waited his turn, drawing a card and setting down two sets of cards, leaving him with one. He had four sixes and three sevens. Discarding the last card, he said, “I'm out. Now what?”

Kagome sighed. “I didn't even get to take my turn.” She slumped against Inuyasha. “Well, we count how many points you have opposed to everyone else and determine a winner.” She tallied up the amount. “Figures. Miroku, you win. Sixty points for your four queens and three kings minus the two cards in your hand.”

“How many did I have?” Silk asked, his nose twitching.

“Thirty-five.” Kagome smiled. “Want to play again?”

Garion folded his cards down. “I'm out. I'll never compete with those two.” His serious face looked grim. He said to Inuyasha, “I think I see why you refused. That monk of yours is almost worse than that spy.”

Inuyasha snorted before smiling. “He does come in handy sometimes.”

Silk said, “You want to play again, monk? This time let's make it interesting.” He slipped a jeweled necklace out of his tunic. “Who ever wins gets this. I'll deal.”

Miroku nodded. “Gladly.”

Sesshomaru sighed. He wasn't going to do that again. He shook his head no when Rin asked. Playing with cheaters once was enough. Rin nodded, crawling into his lap to watch. If anything this day and night had been one of the most eventful he had in a long time. He glanced over towards Inuyasha, noticing he had somehow wrapped himself around Kagome, their earlier dispute forgotten. His brother's chin rested on her head, his legs holding her close as well as his arms. Besides the different appearance, it seemed Inuyasha was almost back to his normal half-breed self. For Sesshomaru, dawn couldn't come fast enough.