Crossover Fan Fiction / InuYasha Fan Fiction ❯ The Journey to the City of Endless Night ❯ Chapter Twenty-Nine ( Chapter 29 )

[ X - Adult: No readers under 18. Contains Graphic Adult Themes/Extreme violence. ]

Chapter Twenty-Nine

Miroku and Sango made their way towards the suite granted to them, Shippo not far behind. Miroku watched Sango out of the corner of his eye, the slight blush still tinging her cheeks. He smiled slightly to himself. Silk's dare had paid off and he had won the bet, in more than one way he might add. He felt his own cheeks flame slightly, thinking back to the kiss he had shared with Sango, one he hadn't anticipated.

Silk pulled him from his thoughts as he stated, “I'm going to find Belgarath and Polgara and tell them what I know. Is there anything you wanted to tell them about the two we overheard?”

Miroku saw Sango from the corner of his eye readjust her skirt, fidgeting as she waited to go into the suite. He looked back towards the thief. “Only that what's in that bottle Kagome has is very important. Do you have any idea where they might be in the palace? We'll want to tell Inuyasha about it.”

“Not yet, I don't. I'll let you know as soon as I can.” Silk smiled. “Have fun, you two.” He winked, slinking back down the hall.

“What did he mean by that, monk?” Sango's eyebrow twitched in ire.

“Oh, nothing, Sango dear. Nothing.” He put his hand on the back of his neck. “We really should retire for now, don't you think?”

Sango rolled her eyes. She looked around the hallway before turning towards him again. “Did anyone else notice that Sesshomaru and Kagome were together for the majority of that party?”

“I most certainly did. I know Inuyasha and Sesshomaru have made some sort of alliance but I had no idea they were that willing to trust each other.” Miroku shook his head.

Inuyasha came up to them, the little girl Rin resting on his shoulder. She was fast asleep. “Anyone seen Kagome? I can't seem to find her anywhere.”

“You mean, you don't know?” Sango asked, her dark eyes wide.

“Know what? Is Kagome alright?” Inuyasha's ears flattened against his head. “What's going on?”

Miroku said, “You didn't see her with Sesshomaru at all?”

“She's with the jackass? That should have kept those overdressed asses from trying anything funny.” He adjusted Rin on his shoulder. “Mind taking her? I'll let Sesshomaru know you have her when I see him, alright?” He eased the little girl towards Sango.

Miroku wondered just what was going on in Inuyasha's head. He wasn't angry about Sesshomaru being with Kagome for the majority of the night. In fact, he had almost sounded relieved. And the way he had looked out for the little girl spoke volumes as well. It baffled him how much the relationship the two brothers had changed. They were relying on one another.

Inuyasha turned, heading towards his suite. “I'm going to go back to my room. Tell Sesshomaru if you see him to send Kagome there, alright?” He sauntered down the hall toward the door.

Miroku caught Sango's astonished expression. He nodded that he agreed completely. He whispered, “Anyone else find it a little creepy how those two are acting?”

Shippo rubbed a tired eye, nodding. “Yeah. It creeps me out big time.”

Sango said, “I don't know, but we should get this one to bed. She's already asleep.” She adjusted Rin for emphasis, the little girls arms dangling past Sango's shoulders.

Miroku opened the door, letting Sango and Shippo in before following. He watched as Sango set Rin down onto one of the beds provided, pulling a blanket around her small form. Kirara jumped up, sniffing the small child before curling up next to her and falling asleep.

Sango turned around, sitting into a chair. She pulled her shoes off, groaning in relief. She looked up. “Did anyone else think Inuyasha sounded relieved that Kagome was with Sesshomaru tonight?”

“I was just going to mention that. They've certainly developed some strange relationship since we've joined the group. You can't keep the brothers apart it seems.” Miroku sat down as well, kicking off the shoes he had been given.

Shippo nodded, sitting down on the chair arm. “Yeah. I noticed that, too. I keep waiting for one or the other to draw a sword and start fighting.” He yawned.

Sango shook her head. “It doesn't make any sense to me. Sesshomaru almost treats Inuyasha as if they were equal and in the past he couldn't resist insulting him and asserting his superiority. What changed?”

“You're right. They mainly call one another names and that's it. And the way they protect both Kagome and that little girl is uncanny.” Miroku adjusted the beads on his Wind Tunnel.

Shippo yawned, crawling up into one of the plush chairs. He said, “It's like they're a pack.”

Sango's eyes went wide. “You're absolutely right! That's because they are a pack. Look at how they act. Inuyasha saved his brother's life in that fight back in that grove of trees and Sesshomaru protected Inuyasha when he became human. I think you're onto something, Shippo.”

A small voice joined the conversation, “What is this I hear about Inuyasha-sama and his brother?”

“Myoga? Is that you?” Miroku stood, looking down at the flea demon on Kirara's forehead.

“Of course it's me. I just finally woke up.” He stretched his four arms. “Now, what is this that I hear about Inuyasha-sama and Sesshomaru-sama?”

Miroku wondered how much the flea demon had heard since they had joined the group and traveled to the city. He also pondered what Myoga's reaction would be. “Well, you see, we've been traveling with Inuyasha and Sesshomaru for a few weeks now.”

“What do you mean with Inuyasha and Sesshomaru?” Myoga looked baffled. “Surely you're not saying they're working together, are you?”

Sango nodded. “Yes, they are. They've been looking out for one another. They also look out for Kagome and the little girl behind you. She belongs with Sesshomaru.”

Myoga jumped off the bed as if burned. He slowly approached the sleeping girl and Miroku rolled his eyes. The flea was acting over dramatic as always. What could a little girl possibly do to harm the flea? He said, “Wait, this girl is human. Is this the girl we've seen in the past?”

Sango nodded. “She is.”

“And why do you have her?” He reached one of his tiny hands out, waving it in the girl's face to make sure Rin was indeed asleep.

“Inuyasha brought her here to our rooms,” Miroku replied. “I'm sure Sesshomaru will be here in awhile to retrieve her.”

Myoga gulped. “He will?”

A knock on the door sent the flea flying away from the little girl to rest on Miroku's shoulder. The monk glared at the flea, sighing. Miroku crossed the room, opening the door. On the other side stood Sesshomaru. The tall Demon Lord glanced into the room. “I was told that you have Rin in this room.” He brushed past Miroku on his way in.

Myoga jumped up and down frantically on Miroku's shoulder. He waved his arms in alarm. “Miroku-sama!”

Miroku shook his head. “She was asleep when Inuyasha brought her here. He said he'd let you know where she was.”

Sesshomaru remained silent as he looked at Rin sleeping. The child had eased her arms around Kirara, soft breaths ruffling her fur. He leaned down, brushing some hair from her face. Miroku couldn't help but notice the softening of the usually cold eyes. “I have matters to attend to. You will keep her here for the time being.” He stood, reaching his full height.

Myoga squawked as Sesshomaru approached. He jumped into Miroku's hair, peeking over the top of it. Sesshomaru leaned his head down, glaring at the tiny flea demon. Miroku shrugged. “Myoga's excitable.”

Sesshomaru ignored the comment. He said, “Do not be so foolish, flea. I have no intentions of wasting my time on you.” He turned, heading towards the door. “I will return shortly. Is my brother in his chambers?”

Sango nodded. “Yes. He should be. We'll keep Rin safe.”

Sesshomaru didn't respond as he exited into the hallway, leaving behind astonished expressions around the room. Shippo shuddered. “He still scares me.”

Myoga nodded his agreement vigorously. “You must tell me everything that has happened between Inuyasha-sama and Sesshomaru-sama.”

Miroku exchanged glances with Sango. He bit his lip. “Well, truth be told, we're just as baffled as you. We just were reunited with Inuyasha so we're not all certain what's going on.” He sat down in the chair he had vacated when Sesshomaru had arrived. “They seem to be working together, though.”

Sango said, “Well, we're not just traveling with Inuyasha and Sesshomaru. We've been also traveling with a group of people. It seems as if we've been brought to this land because of Naraku. To answer what we do know about what has happened between the two brothers, Inuyasha saved Sesshomaru's life last week when a battle was taking place and Sesshomaru protected Inuyasha on his human night. They're often not far away from one another or Kagome and Rin.”

Myoga's jaw dropped in amazement. “Did you say that Sesshomaru-sama knows of Inuyasha-sama's human night?”

“Yes.” Miroku placed his hand onto his chin, thinking. “What's important right now is what's going on in this palace. Those two spies I overheard at that party unnerved me. They'll regret it if they go after Kagome, that's for sure.”

“You mean the two after the jewel shards.” Sango furrowed her brows. “Did Kagome have them with her at the party?”

“No. I think she's keeping them in that jar in that bag of hers. I didn't see that around her neck tonight. They certainly wanted it, though.”

“And they mentioned Naraku, too.” Sango sighed.

“What exactly about Naraku?” Myoga asked, crossing his four arms.

“Oh, he's the one behind all of this. We're going to this city called the City of Endless Night. It used to belong to some God but one of the men we're traveling with slew him. I don't understand much of that, either.” Miroku pinched his nose. “What I do know is that we have spies after Kagome's jewel shards. They said something about a man with red eyes. That leads me to assume they were hired by Naraku.”

“City of Endless Night? I can't say I've ever heard of such a place. And a man who can kill a God? Does such a man exist?” Myoga looked thoughtful.

Another knock came to the door and Miroku opened it. The rat faced man stood on the other side. “Yes, Silk? Did you hear anything else?”

He entered, closing the door behind him. “Those two spies, they're four doors away from Kagome and Inuyasha's room. Did you want to tell them or should I?” Silk glanced around the room. “Oh, and it seems Kagome was attacked at the party. Good thing that Demon Lord of yours caught on to what was going on.”

Sango gasped. “Attacked?”

“Yeah. Something tells me that your friend with dog ears is going to be none to pleased when he finds out. Anyways, Zakath said he wanted everyone in our little group to eventually met in his study. Stay put until I retrieve you.”

Myoga piped up, “Miroku-sama, just who is this?”

Silk looked around trying to locate the voice. “Who said that?”

“I did.” Myoga launched himself, landing directly on Silk's nose.

“Now I can say I've seen everything. Not even Belgarath could pull this one off. A talking flea?” Silk shook his head, dislodging the flea demon. “Just wait here while I find out what's going on. I'll let you know when Zakath wants to talk to us, alright?”

Miroku nodded. “We'll wait right here. Just let us know if you find out anything else about the spies.” He shut the door, slumping against it. “Well, it most certainly has been an exciting night, hasn't it?”



Inuyasha stood, watching as the door opened and shut. Finally he and Kagome were back in their own private suite away from the crowd. He slowly advanced on her, his eyes having no problem with the utter darkness of the room. Kagome called out, “Inuyasha, are you here?”

Sneaking behind her, he stalked Kagome as she fumbled in the dark for a match to light an oil lamp. She had made it to the bedroom, Inuyasha never less than a foot behind her. Before she could succeed, he closed the distance between them, his arms wrapping tightly around her waist. He nipped at an ear. She struggled, crying out. “Let me go! Please, don't hurt me.” Fear dripped like acid in her voice and Inuyasha stiffened. Why would she be frightened of him? She pushed against him again, the scent of her tears striking his nose. He let go, feeling ashamed.

Sniffing again, Inuyasha picked up the scent of his brother and another. Another male had touched her, the scent heavy on her throat and skirt. He pulled her close again, finding the scarf at her neck. This smelled solely of his brother and concerned him not at all. She squirmed against him, panic filling her voice. “Let go! You're hurting me.”

He didn't answer or let go, yanking the scarf away from her throat, trying to locate the third scent that now assaulted his nose. It was blood, Kagome's blood. A layer of the rival male's scent lay over the top and he growled. Anger coursed through him that someone would dare harm his mate. He lapped his tongue out, realizing that the cut had occurred on his mark. The scent of Kagome's tears reached his nose and she cried out, “Please, stop. Don't do this to me.”

He pulled back, blinking his gold eyes in the dark. “Kagome, it's me.”

Kagome crumpled in his arms, sobbing. “I was so scared. I couldn't find you and this man threatened to kill you and, and, and I didn't know what to do.” She wrapped her arms around him tightly, shaking against him. “He said I was disgusting for being your mate.”

Inuyasha growled, wrapping his arms around her. He breathed deep, memorizing the scent of the man who had frightened his mate so. It would come in handy when he prepared to hunt later. Right now it was more important that he calm Kagome. He let go, briefly, to light the oil lamp. The soft light illuminated her face and the tears that streaked down it pained his heart. He lapped his tongue out, licking away their saltiness. “He's wrong. Don't you listen to him.” He kissed her, gently pushing his tongue into her mouth. He felt hers tangle with his as he explored. His hands went to her hair, a thumb rubbing gently on her tear stained cheeks.

Kagome broke the kiss off, throwing herself back into his arms. She shook with such fear that Inuyasha wondered exactly what had happened. She whispered, “I'm sorry I was so stupid.”

“Kagome, you didn't do anything wrong. Just what did he do?”

“He, he said he'd lead me to you and then he took me to this small hallway and told me he'd slit my throat if I didn't do as he said. He said he'd rape me, too.” She squeezed her eyes shut, sobs rocking her body. “He cut me when I tried to push him off. If Sesshomaru hadn't come when he had I don't know what I would have done.”

That explained why Sesshomaru's scent blanketed her. He had given her the scarf. After the incident he must have stayed with her. Inuyasha asked, “Did my brother kill this bastard?”

“No. He said he'd turn him over to you.” Kagome hiccuped as she tried to stop her tears. She trembled again and Inuyasha pulled her close. He rocked her, making a low rumbling sound in his throat.

He whispered, “Good. Because I'm going to kill him. He'll never touch you again.” Inuyasha gently sat her down onto the large bed. He spooned behind her, holding her close.

Kagome settled against him. “He wanted to use you to get to Garion who would in turn get him to Zakath. He wanted to kill Zakath.” She bit her lip trying not to cry again. “He said such horrible things about you.”

Inuyasha smoothed her hair from her face, kissing an ear. “It's alright now. He won't do that again.” Inuyasha felt the rage flood through his body as his demon blood demanded blood for the injustice to his mate. He sucked in air trying to resist rampaging. Kagome needed him to calm her and if he wasn't calm himself he couldn't do it. He could find the bastard who dared harm his mate anytime now that he had the scent.

A knock on the door startled Kagome and she jumped in his arms, turning to face his chest. She clutched his haori front in her hands. Inuyasha wanted to ignore the person at the door but he heard his brother's voice. “Half-breed, open the door.”

“It's open,” he called, not wanting to disturb Kagome. She already shook against him again, frightened. Inuyasha kicked himself for having thought he could pull off seducing her in the dark. He flattened his ears to his skull, angry that he had terrified Kagome so much.

Sesshomaru approached them, his gaze locked on Inuyasha. “I see you have discovered what happened.”

“Why didn't you come to me right away?” He snarled it, anger flooding his senses.

“I did not want you to go into a rage in front of those people. I took it upon myself to ensure the safety of your mate.” Sesshomaru glanced around the dark room. “I came to inform you that shortly you will be allowed to dispose of the male who did this. They are going to interrogate him shortly and then he is to do with as you see fit.”

Inuyasha sniffed, picking up on the scent of Kagome's blood. He located it to his brother. “Why do you smell of her blood? What did you do?” He set Kagome back down onto the bed, standing in between her and Sesshomaru. Inuyasha's eyes narrowed in rage. He growled. “Answer me.”

“Half-breed, do not be stupid. Did your mate not tell you the details?” Sesshomaru stood unmoving.

Inuyasha stood onto his toes, shaking a fist into his brother's face. “Just answer the damn question.”

Kagome sucked in air. She shoved in between the two, pushing Inuyasha back. She said, “He, he tried to wipe some of it off after I was cut. He didn't hurt me. Don't fight with him.”

Inuyasha looked from her to his brother. “You could have said that, you know.” He pinned his ears to his head as he backed down. “As for that bastard that did cut you, Kagome, he's as good as dead.”

Kagome hugged him tightly, her face buried into his haori front. She sobbed again, shaking against him. He rubbed Kagome's back, trying to get her to calm. She choked out, “Please, don't kill him.”

Inuyasha lifted her chin so he could look into her eyes. “Kagome, he threatened to rape you. I can't let that pass.”

“I know, but please, don't kill him.” She snuggled into him closer. “I don't want his blood spilled because I was stupid enough to be trapped by him.”

“You didn't do anything wrong. It was his fault. I won't let him get away with it. What if he decides to go after some other woman and does succeed? He already cut you.” Inuyasha pulled her closer.

Sesshomaru said, “We already discussed this, miko. You must not blame yourself for something out of your control. It is only foolishness to do so.” He turned his back. “I suggest you attend the interrogation.”

Inuyasha sighed. He sat down, easing Kagome into his lap. He lapped at her mark again. Looking past her shoulder to the retreating form of his brother, he said, “Thank-you.”

“Call it even. It is in return for your protection of Rin in the past.” He slipped back out of the room before Inuyasha could reply.

Kagome squeezed her arms around him, her face buried into his shoulder. She said, “Please, please don't kill him.” Her breaths hitched in her throat and she whispered, “Stay with me.”

Inuyasha nuzzled her hair. He said, “You heard my brother. We should find out what was going on. I'm going to go and I'll ask that Garion stay here with you, alright? I promise I won't let anything else happen to you.”

Kagome nodded, looking up. The light brought out the gold in her eyes. She hugged him again. “Promise not to kill him, please?”

“I promise. I won't kill him.” He kissed her. “Stay here. I'm going to get Garion. I don't know where Sesshomaru or that monk went and I don't have time to waste looking.” He stood, crossing towards the door. A servant stood not far away. “Can you tell Garion that I'd like to see him?”

The servant nodded. “Certainly, my lord.”

He made his way down the hallway and Inuyasha closed the door. He lit another lamp by the door before crossing back towards the bedroom. He noticed that Kagome had fallen asleep on the over-sized bed, curled up in the spot he had just vacated. He quietly pulled the blankets around her form, kissing her temple.

A soft knock came to the door and Inuyasha opened it. Garion stood on the other side, his expression grim. “Is Kagome alright?”

“She's sleeping. Listen, I'm going to go find out what that bastard was up to. I want you to stay for now with Kagome.” His ears were pinned to his head.

“Alright. I'll keep an eye on her.”

Behind Garion stood his tiny wife. She looked shaken as well. She whispered, “I'm sorry.”

Garion turned, placing his hand onto his mate's shoulder. “It's not your fault, Ce'Nedra. You didn't know that man was going to do that.”

Her lip trembled and she cried. “Is she alright at least? I couldn't find her back and I didn't know what to do.”

“She's alright. Inuyasha is going to go find out exactly what is going on. You should go back to our rooms so you don't upset Kagome, alright?” Garion pushed some of her hair out of her face. “I'll be there as soon as I can.” The tiny queen nodded, her shoulders slumped as she returned to their suite.

Inuyasha sighed. “I'll be back shortly.” He flagged another servant down. “Take me to where ever that prisoner is.” The man bowed, leading him through the maze.

When they reached the room, Inuyasha heard voices behind the large oak door. “How much do you really know about the demon sightings up near Cthol Mishrak?”

The man sounded distant as he responded, “I was sent to create a war between the East and the West by making it look as if the emperor had meant to poison the Overlord of the West. I missed my chance when dinner was served and decided I'd get close to him in other ways.”

“That's when you saw the ladies alone and decided to strike?” It was the old man.

“Yes. I thought if I could get them alone and hold them hostage I could then make it look as if the emperor had seized them. It would anger King Belgarion and cause a potential war.”

Inuyasha peeked around the door frame, looking at his prey. He was average for a human and would pose no challenge to himself. He was about to step in when Polgara said, “And who told you to attempt such measures?”

“I was sent by the Hierarch of Rak Hagga. He said that the Malloreon Church had strayed from their worship of Torak and that a war between the East and West would reunite the Churches halves.” He stared blankly ahead as if transfixed by some unseen object.

“I see. When you could only get Kagome alone, what were your plans?”

“That was a mistake. My target was Queen Ce'Nedra. When I could only get the other one alone, I was uncertain exactly what I might do, but I intimidated her so that she would hopefully do as I asked. I was going to tell her to either do as I say or let me punish her. She was to poison King Belgarion and plant the evidence at Zakath's doorsteps.” He snarled. “That demon had to interfere before I could finish my plan. Such filth already had claimed her, too.” His emotionless voice broke as religious fervor overtook him.

Belgarath sighed. “I think that's all you're going to get out of him, Pol. He's utterly brainwashed. He might have been the diversion in the first place. They usually send the Dagashi to deal with this so I'm surprised they sent such an amateur.”

Polgara sighed. “I think you're right, father. I'm not going to waste more time going in circles. There must be another spy running around the palace with the real motivation and plans. This probably was just to draw our attention away from what ever that is.”

Inuyasha filled the doorway. He cracked his knuckles. “Good, cause now he's mine.”

The sorcerer and his daughter turned, looking at him. Belgarath said, “Your brother did mention that to us.”

The man looked up from his chair. Zelleth's eyes went wide. He said, “He's got dog ears! He's an abomination! Torak would never have allowed this.” His eyes flashed with zeal.

“I think your mouth has gotten you into enough trouble already for one night, you disgusting excuse for a human being.” Inuyasha stepped closer, his fangs bared. “You picked the wrong woman to attempt your little plan on.”

Zelleth stood, backing away slightly. He said, “I'm a holy person. You can't kill me.”

“Run. We'll find out if I can kill you or not, won't we, because when I catch you there won't be anything to stop me.” He raised a clawed hand for emphasis. Rage blinded his vision as he thought back to the fear that had consumed Kagome. He turned, watching as the man scrambled out into the hallway.

Belgarath sighed. “We don't have time for this.”

Inuyasha snarled at the old man, advancing on him. He felt so enraged that anyone would stand in his way. “Stay out.” Inuyasha's own voice sounded foreign to his ears. It was deeper, the natural gruffness played up even more. His demon blood demanded this and even with Tetsusaiga at his side he felt his body unable to resist the urge to hunt. He noticed that the old man's eyes had gone wide and he stepped out of the way. Fear did not fill his scent as much as irritation did.

In the hall way, Inuyasha picked upon the scent of the man who had attacked Kagome. His eyes narrowed, sniffing for the fear in it. Servants scrambled out of his way and he tracked Zelleth outside into the immense gardens. A corner of his mouth upturned in a sly smirk. It had been awhile since he had hunted and this man made perfect prey. Inuyasha listened to the slap of the man's shoes as they met the cobblestoned garden paths. He focused on the sound, letting him escape into the maze.

Inuyasha slowly advanced into the gardens. He leapt up to the top of the hedges, running along them. He kept his eyes trained on the man as he wandered around the garden, frantic to escape. Inuyasha heard his heart rate increase and his breathing become shallow. Soon his prey would exhaust himself and he'd strike. It was amusing to see the man scramble away.

As Zelleth ran haphazardly, he brushed against the thorns of the rose bushes. Blood reached Inuyasha's nose and he took a deep breath. It smelled sweet to him, the tang of it mixing with the terror. A small trail of it was left behind and Inuyasha reveled in its crimson color under the moonlight. He stood stock still, staring as the man doubled back towards him.

He dashed past an opening in the landscaped bushes, his legs flailing as he tried to outrun the enraged half-demon. Inuyasha shot down from the hedge and pulled in alongside him. He said, “Going some place?”

The man looked over, the whites of his eyes showing as he stared in fear. He veered in another direction, trying to outmaneuver Inuyasha. Inuyasha watched with amusement as the man ran right into a statue, his foot clipping it. Inuyasha swiped his claws, deliberately missing his target. He had promised not to kill the man after all. A track of his attack could be seen scorching the earth. The statue lay in ruins, cut in to four separate pieces.

Zelleth pulled himself up from the ground. His heart beat had increased even more and he aimlessly ran trying to escape the furious hanyou. Inuyasha outran him, landing directly in his path. He chuckled low in his throat. “Isn't fun anymore when you're the prey, is it?”

Zelleth fell back, landing on his rear. He tried to crawl away but Inuyasha grabbed him, slamming him into the ground. His face was inches from the man's. Gnashing his teeth in his face, he snarled. Inuyasha put his hands around his prey's neck, squeezing as he smashed his head against the hard stone repeatedly. Zelleth made gurgling noises as he frantically clawed at Inuyasha's wrists. Inuyasha snapped his teeth in his face again, relishing in the choked whimper that emanated from the man's throat. The fear in his scent thrilled him and he desired more. Inuyasha needed to taste it, the sweetness of it on his tongue.

Easing up on his grip around Zelleth's neck, he growled low in his throat. Inuyasha flicked a claw across Zelleth's throat and tasted the blood on it. Snarling, he bared his fangs. “Now it's even. I ever hear you do something like this again, I won't simply hunt you down to nick your throat. I'll rip it out.” Pushing the man away in disgust, he turned his back.

The man breathed heavily behind him, pulling much needed air into his lungs. He stood, running into the garden expanse. Inuyasha closed his eyes, falling to his knees. It had taken everything in his power not to give in completely to the blood lust consuming him. Even with Tetsusaiga at his side he felt out of control. He took deep breaths, trying to keep from slaughtering those around him. A hand on his shoulder startled him. Looking up, he saw Sesshomaru glance down at him coolly. “I see you have done as Kagome asked.”

Inuyasha nodded, trying to keep his blood from overtaking him. He sucked in more air. “What do you want?”

“I came to see what you did with that pathetic creature. I also smelled that your blood had changed.” He looked towards the statue that Inuyasha had clawed apart. “I see you resisted.”

“Just barely.” Inuyasha pulled Tetsusaiga from the sheath, holding its untransformed blade to his forehead. He panted. If it hadn't been for this at his hip he would have massacred the entire palace. Inuyasha was sure of it. He slumped forward, gripping his sword as tight as he could. “Is Kagome alright?”

“She's still in your suite with the Godslayer. I suggest you calm yourself before you return.” Sesshomaru looked down.

Inuyasha looked up, laughing weakly. “You're a real smart ass did you know that?” He stood on shaky legs, feeling Sesshomaru settle a hand onto his elbow to steady him. “Come on. I better get back to Kagome.”