Crossover Fan Fiction / InuYasha Fan Fiction ❯ The Journey to the City of Endless Night ❯ Chapter Thirty-Five ( Chapter 35 )

[ X - Adult: No readers under 18. Contains Graphic Adult Themes/Extreme violence. ]

Chapter Thirty-Five

Dawn painted the sky with faint rose colors as they exited the gates of Mal Zeth, heading east. Not a cloud dotted the sky. The plains stretched out before them, verdant with new life as spring erupted. Small villages with small white huts and thatched roofs dotted the road as they cantered along and dogs barked at their passing. The road itself was a straight, brown ribbon leading away from the Malloreon Imperial City. Birds welcomed morning, providing their own music for the passage. All in all, it was a fine morning for travel.

Miroku sat atop his horse, glad to be back in his robes. His staff lay across a pack horse, leaving his hands free. He glanced towards Sango, noting that Kagome and Rin rode next to her, centered in the middle of the group. Shippo rode on one of Sango's shoulders and Kirara the other. Sango had slipped into a dress similar to Kagome's peasant gray, a look he wasn't sure he disliked. He reached a hand out as if he could touch her from where he sat only to sigh in defeat. The dress accentuated her bosom, although he would have preferred to see her in the low cut lavender from the party. Unlike Kagome's, Sango's dress showed no cleavage and her slayer outfit could be seen peeking slightly underneath.

Shaking his head to dispel his thoughts, Miroku watched as the two demon brothers conversed, side by side. Their behavior still perplexed him. As long as he had known Inuyasha, Sesshomaru had been an adversary. The two had never said anything civil to one another and now they not only talked, they helped one another. The two broke away, Sesshomaru leading his horse to the front and Inuyasha to the rear. Apparently they had taken it upon themselves to guard the group. Or, as the case maybe, a couple in the group specifically. The pair seemed determined to do everything in their power to protect the small girl and Kagome. Perhaps Shippo had assessed it right: the small group of four had formed an odd pack. It would explain some of the behavior, no less.

Miroku pushed away his thoughts. It didn't make sense to him and he wasn't going to waste any more time thinking about it. Before he could get himself in trouble with either demon brother or Sango, Silk distracted him. The little rat faced man asked in a cheerful voice,“Well, how are you doing this morning?” The spy smiled wickedly as his horse pulled in alongside.

Miroku smiled back. “Good. It's a lovely morning to head out onto the road.”

“Belgarath is a little miffed we're making our way east instead of north, but I told him some of those spies expect us to take the direct road to Mal Rakuth.” The spy had returned to a peasant brown, forsaking his jewel dripped hands and pearl gray doublet. “It'll add some time to our trip, but so would a bunch of silly ambushes. I told him that'd irritate him more.” He drank from a wine skin. “Want some? It takes the edge off early morning travel.”

Miroku replied, “That makes sense. It'd be best to avoid unnecessary bloodshed.” He nodded his acceptance, taking the skin from the little rat faced man. He took a drink, the taste of sweet, red wine greeting his lips. Passing it back to Silk, he said, “Thanks.”

Silk nodded. Then he did a curious thing. He moved his fingers in an odd gesture and Miroku followed it closely before glancing towards the person Silk had his eyes trained on. It was the young king, Garion. He, too, made some strange hand gestures back. This piqued his curiosity. Just what was going on and what were the hand gestures signifying? Silk said, “We'll ride for about five hours this morning and rest for about an hour at lunch.”

“Sounds like a plan.” He cleared his throat. “What were those strange finger movements?”

“You mean these?” He wiggled his fingers slightly. “It's the Drasnian Secret Language. It let me say things I need to say that I don't want others to hear and it keeps me from shouting.” Silk winked. “Why, you want to learn it?”

Miroku shrugged. “Don't see the harm in it. It'll pass the time on the road.”

Silk smiled. “Alright. I'll teach you when we sit down for lunch, then. It'd not do to be focusing on it when we're riding.”

“I suppose not.” Miroku turned his gaze back to Sango. She had her back to him, her hair pulled into her white ribbon as it flowed down her back. She seemed engrossed in a conversation with Kagome as they traveled. He sighed wistfully, wishing he could be included.

Silk snickered next to him. “You just don't give up easy, do you? I suppose I owe you some money. You actually got her to dance.” He winked. “Or was that kiss reward enough?”

Miroku shook his head, smiling. “No, no. A kiss from dear Sango is quite enough.” He rubbed his neck with his cursed hand.

“Can I ask you something? Why do you always wear those beads over your hand like that? Doesn't it get uncomfortable?” Silk arched an eyebrow.

“Yes, but not wearing the beads is even more uncomfortable.” Miroku squeezed his cursed hand into a fist. “It's cursed by Naraku. He placed an air void into my hand that sucks everything around it inside.”

Silk whistled. “Now that's something new.”

“Unfortunately, the curse will consume me one day into the void. My grandfather and father before me succumbed to the curse and until Naraku is destroyed, I also face the same fate.” Miroku kept it in a fist, staring ahead.

“Now that's a curse.” Silk looked ahead as well, his black hair hanging in straggly strings as it blew in the slight breeze. They were approaching a village. Dogs stood on the side of the road announcing their presence and peasants stood holding pitchforks as if they were weapons. They looked distrusting of their approaching party. “Looks like we might run into a bit of trouble up there. I should go up front and see if I can lie us through this one.”

Miroku nodded. “I think I should come with.”

“Suit yourself, but best let me do the talking.” Silk kicked his horse into a trot as he joined the lead by Sesshomaru.

Miroku followed not far behind. He saw the Demon Lord assess them from the corner of one golden eye, his expression unreadable. Turning his attention to the angry villagers, he saw a few stand into the middle of the road, crude cross bows leveled at the group. He slowed, letting Silk pass him.

Silk dismounted from his horse, Miroku not far behind. He sauntered up to the group of desperate peasants. “Nice morning, isn't it?” He smiled wide at them. “What's going on here?”

“Demons. Have you not heard?” One of the peasant men looked wild in the eyes as he approached, a pitchfork leveled. “We hear they are supposed to come south soon.”

Silk rubbed his chin slightly. “I haven't heard they had come this far. I'm a humble merchant on my way to Rakand and so far the travel has been good. Have you seen any demons as of late?”

Another leveled his crossbow at Silk's chest. “You, you're going to Karanda. Do you side with demon scum? Those worthless Karands are overrunning this kingdom. His Majesty would be wise to either eradicate them or let them leave the empire.”

Silk shook his head. “No. I'm only in for profit. I only wish to pick up a shipment and travel back my way to the West.”

“You'd be best to forget it, merchant. The demons are overrunning the Karandese mountains and have slaughtered anyone who has dared enter any of the seven kingdoms. You would be wise to turn back your horse the way you came and return to Mal Zeth. What little profit you could make on any shipment will be lost if you get devoured.” It was the only calm voice in the group of desperate, frightened peasants.

Miroku watched Silk's face become shocked then determined. He was about to interject into the conversation, offering his services to exorcise any demons when they crossed them and provide warding spells to protect their village when Silk said, “I am sent on the orders of his Majesty himself. It would be best not to disappoint him. Now may we pass?”

Another man, armed with a pitchfork jabbed it in the air towards Silk. He said, “We are not going to let any pass without paying the toll.”

Silk shook some bags at his hip, jingling noises greeting the greedy men's ears. “I have a bag full of imperial crowns. Will that suffice? Those behind me are my retainers and family. It should cover the expenses for our passage.” He tossed it at the feet of the man nearest to him.

The man greedily picked it up, weighing it in his hands. Before he could untie the strings another man grabbed at it. That man snarled, “You have paid, now be on your way. We wish not to attract demons.”

Silk smiled in satisfaction as he walked back to his horse. He hopped on, winking. He whispered, “Let's be on our way because when they actually open that bag they'll be pretty angry.”

Miroku arched an eyebrow. “Why?”

“It's nothing but brass pennies.” His nose twitched violently. “It's been awhile since I've done something like that.” The group passed the eager peasants. As the village faded into the distance, a cry could be heard. Silk laughed.

Miroku shook his head. “You're evil, did you know that?”

“I try my very best. Come on, let's go back to the middle.” He turned his horse towards the back and Miroku followed suit. As they made their way towards the back, Miroku noticed the brief distaste that crossed Sesshomaru's features. He said nothing and didn't acknowledge them, but it was fairly obvious that the Demon Lord did not approve of the shifty behavior of the thief. That was alright with Miroku. He liked this spy. His devious nature didn't bother him in the slightest.


Inuyasha struggled to become comfortable on his horse as they cantered through the stretch of road. He had dreaded having to return to horseback and most certainly would have preferred having Kagome on his back as they made their way east. He kept one ear underneath his hood turned back towards the road they had already traversed, making sure that no one could sneak upon them and attack.

He watched as Kagome and the pup rode their horse, surrounded by the rest of the group. Kagome had protested at first, but he and Sesshomaru had insisted. There was no way that either of them would be targets for attacks. While he didn't like that he had to ride a horse, it did provide a convenient way for keeping Kagome out of danger. Now that she was centered in the group, she seemed at ease to be talking with Sango and Garion's mate. Inuyasha shrugged his shoulders. At least she hadn't sat him when they argued. He still cringed about the multiple sits she had issued a day and a half ago.

Interrupting his thoughts was Garion. “How's the road back here?”

“Feh. It's fine.” Inuyasha glanced over towards the young man. He tried to adjust again on the wretched horse, only to jar his tail bone further. Why did he have to ride this thing again? It had to be the most uncomfortable form of travel he could have ever imagined.

The young king laughed. “I see you and your horse aren't getting along.”

“Feh. Like I have a choice.” He snorted. “How is your mate?”

“Ce'Nedra? She's doing alright. She slept most of yesterday so she's not nearly as bad as she could have been.” Garion's face became grim. “I still would like to wring that man's neck but Grandfather said we didn't have time.”

“I would have made time.” Inuyasha ground his teeth together.

“I think you already did.” Garion sighed. He fell silent briefly, staring towards the front of the group. He asked, “Has Rin often talked with birds in the past?”

Inuyasha perked his ears then flattened them. Where had that question come from? Had Garion noticed Rin's odd behavior, as well? It wasn't his new friend's business, no matter how much he liked the young man. Rin was Sesshomaru's concern. He said, hoping to kill the conversation direction, “Sesshomaru doesn't talk much. She talks to everything else to make up for it.”

Garion pursed his lips. He nodded. “I suppose that can be the case.” He turned, looking towards Inuyasha. “I just have to wonder if it is.”

Inuyasha growled low in his throat. What was happening with the pup wasn't for Garion to question. “If you want to know how Rin has acted in the past, you really ought to try having this conversation with my brother instead. She's his ward, not mine.” He knew he must have come off sounding cold, but he could not risk endangering the pup. Until he and Sesshomaru were certain what was happening to Rin, it would be best not to bring in outsiders.

Garion cleared his throat. “Perhaps I will.” He shook his head. “So, how did you like Mal Zeth, aside from all the mayhem and intrigue.”

Inuyasha looked at the sandy haired man from the corner of his eye. Again, this plain faced man evaded his understanding. He could change his demeanor so quickly. “It was alright. The food would have been better if it wasn't like eating fire.”

“So you fell for the same trick I did when I first visited.” Garion laughed. “I must say it is a nasty one.” He sighed. “Grandfather says that we're going to have to make a trek up to Ashaba before we go to Cthol Mishrak. Something about the Ashabine Oracles is very important, I guess.”

“Feh. Whatever. Doesn't matter to me. I'll still find and kill Naraku either way.” Inuyasha kept his eyes on his horse.

Garion said, “I had a similar appointment once at Cthol Mishrak. I had to kill a God and when it was over I felt regret for a long time. I still remember his last word and the tears of fire on his cheeks as he gasped his last.”

Inuyasha caught the loathing that had crept into the young man's tone. “Didn't it have to be done?”

“Yes. But the way I did it, I took everything from him before I stuck the sword of the Rivan King through him. I'm not always proud of that, even if it was the only way to win.” Garion's tone gained more regret. “Do you want to know what his last word was?”

Inuyasha bit his lip with a fang. He hadn't come across someone who was like him, full of such self-contempt. “Only if you want to tell me.”

“Mother. Torak's last word was mother. Even a God has a mother. He called out to the Universe and at the moment of his death the stars went dark.” He sighed. “I'm not proud that I drove him to that moment.”

“You had to do it, or so I've heard.” Inuyasha found he was having difficulty reassuring someone who reminded him of himself. Garion felt the way he did because of what he had done and Inuyasha felt the way he did because of what he was. He asked softly, “Why are you telling me this?”

Garion looked over, his blue eyes full of sorrow. “Because, I learned the hard way that in the end you might regret the victory you seek.” He glanced away. “You know, my first act as a sorcerer, or what ever you want to call it, was to set someone on fire. I slapped him and said “burn” and he did. Doesn't that make me something a little akin to a monster?”

Inuyasha drooped his ears. His new friend was more like him that he wanted to admit. He said, “Like I said, I can't judge. I'm a half-breed. I'm neither human nor demon. Both demons and humans spend an awful lot of time reminding me that I'm below them, after all.”

Garion shook his head. “I think you only see the ears on your head and the fangs and the claws. You're ignoring the things inside.” He smiled, even if remorse tinged it. “You make up for what you are with what you do.”

Inuyasha twitched his ears under his hood. “Now what does that mean?”

“It means, Inuyasha, you go out of your way to protect what you love. I've noticed the relationship you and Kagome have. I've also seen how you've taken it upon yourself to watch out for that little girl, Rin.” The sandy haired man glanced towards him.

“Feh. What else am I supposed to do? Kagome's my mate and Rin's just a pup.” Inuyasha looked away, catching a glimpse of Kagome and Sango in conversation.

“Yes. That's where we're similar, I suppose. I did what I did to Torak because I love my family and Ce'Nedra more and I did what I did to Asharak because I love Aunt Pol.”

Inuyasha snorted. He didn't have an answer. He didn't want to say that they were more similar than Garion thought. He glanced around the group, noticing that the spy and Miroku were in conversation again. He rolled his eyes. “Don't look now, but I think your spy friend and my monk are up to something.” It was a nice transition from the depressing conversation he and the young man had been having.

Garion sighed. “Will the Gods help us all.” He turned his eyes skyward. “Why me?”

Inuyasha laughed. “I don't know. I didn't make the monk the way he is, he just is. Just be very grateful you're not a woman.”

“Belar! I am thankful for that every time I see him talk to a woman. Does he have no tact?” Garion smiled wide.

“None. None whatsoever. He's just damn lucky Sango hasn't gutted him.” Inuyasha shook his head. He turned his ear toward the road again, making sure that they were not being pursued. So far things were going smoothly and he wanted them to stay that way. After the brief wait for Silk to swindle the peasants by the side of the road, it had been rather tedious.

Garion stopped his horse. “We're going to stop here for a rest. I need some lunch.” He smiled wide. “Just think about what I said, alright?”

Inuyasha nodded. He watched the young man dismount and cross the makeshift rest stop. Before he could dismount, he noticed that Polgara had approached, her cloak pulled around her. She said, “I heard what Garion said to you. He's never really talked about what's happened like that. He trusts you, I think, because he sees himself in you. Don't abuse it.”

Inuyasha blinked. “Why would I abuse it? I don't have anything to gain.”

“I just thought I would mention it to you, dear. It's about time he found someone to talk to. Just keep it in mind, alright?” She smiled before turning her horse around. She dismounted, heading towards her mate who was in the process of starting a small fire.

Inuyasha shook his head and climbed off his own horse gratefully, stretching his back. The animal strained muscles he didn't know he had and filled his nose with the smell of sweat. If Inuyasha had his way, the horse would have been sent on its way a long time ago. Mid-stretch he heard his brother ask, “Half-breed, what were you and the Godslayer discussing?”

Inuyasha stood straight. He looked over at his brother, noticing the small hint of concern within Sesshomaru's eyes. “Garion suspects something is going on with Rin, but I kept my mouth shut. I like him, but I don't want anyone else to know what's going on till we know.”

“Good.” Sesshomaru turned his back on Inuyasha. “Little brother, do not speak so lowly of yourself. It is a disservice to our bloodline.”

Inuyasha stared at his brother's retreating form, speechless. Had he heard the conversation between him and Garion after all? He was about to follow him and demand an answer as to why Sesshomaru would ask what they had discussed if he already knew when Kagome hugged him. Inuyasha wrapped his arms around her, still watching his brother.

She brought his attention back to her when she asked, “You hungry? Come on, let's get some lunch.” She tugged on his hand, dragging him to sit down. Inuyasha shook his head, wrapping his arm around Kagome's waist.


Rin sat down by her lord, happy to finally be able to sit with him. She loved spending time with Kagome, but it was Sesshomaru she would rather ride the horse with. She smiled at him before hugging him tightly around the neck. He grunted, his only indication that she was perhaps squeezing a bit tight. Rin let go and giggled. “Sorry, Sesshomaru-sama.” She climbed into his lap, lying her head onto his shoulder. She felt him rub her back.

Sesshomaru asked quietly, “Are you hungry, Rin?”

Rin nodded vigorously. She had been hungry for quite some time and had felt the cramps from her bleeding increasingly grow worse as the morning dragged on. Now that she was sitting still and with her lord, the pain subsided some, but not enough. “I don't feel so good.”

Sesshomaru nodded, rubbing her back more. It felt nice to be held. She saw Inuyasha and Kagome sit down not far away. Sesshomaru said, “Miko, might you have some of that medicine?”

Kagome glanced over at the two of them, a smile on her face. “Sure thing. Let me dig it out.” She pawed through her bag until the white bottle was in her hand. “I don't know why you didn't just keep it.”

Rin knew why. After she had spilled it, Sesshomaru had said it would be best to leave it with Kagome. Her lord leaned forward to take the bottle into his hand before giving it to her. She struggled with the cap momentarily and put the allotment into her palm before capping it again. Sesshomaru leaned forward again to pass it back. He pulled the water bottle Kagome had given her awhile ago from the pack sitting next to him. She took it from him, drinking eagerly to swallow the pills. “Thank you Sesshomaru-sama, Kagome-sama.”

Kagome said, “You're very welcome, Rin-chan.” She leaned her head onto Inuyasha's shoulder. “I wonder what we'll have for lunch.”

“Feh. It better be good, that's all I say.” Inuyasha crossed his arms, staring at the ground. Rin thought he looked funny that way and giggled, hiding her face into Sesshomaru's chest. She heard Inuyasha ask, “Oi, pup, what's so funny?”

Kagome laughed. “I think you are.”

“Me? I'm not funny.” He stuck his chin out in defiance. Both Rin and Kagome laughed more.

A large, black bird flew above them, making lazy circles. It seemed as if it was interested in them and Rin wondered if it had come to talk to her like the birds had in the garden. She had liked them very much and had felt sad for having to leave the city and her new found friends behind. She watched it with fascination. A soft whisper brushed her mind and the familiar tingling rushed through her body. Rin felt as if a thread had been pulled between herself and the bird and then it snapped as her mind ran into a barrier.

Rin blinked, trying to clear her mind. What had happened? Had she really touched the bird's mind? She hadn't consciously done anything except look up at the sky towards it. The bird flew a little higher, circling into the sky above the group. It gave a piercing, defiant cry twice before beating its massive wings and flying off into the distance. The familiar surge and hollow sound in her head faded. It didn't hurt so much now and she was becoming accustomed to it, although she pondered what had happened between herself and the bird.

Sesshomaru brought her out of her thoughts when he wordlessly handed her a bowl of stew. She looked up into his eyes, noticing the flicker of worry and concern harbored there. Rin felt bad for worrying her lord so, but she couldn't help the strange feelings that seemed to flow through her body at times. She whispered, “Thank-you, Sesshomaru-sama.” His only response was a snort as he set out to eat his own lunch. She asked softly, so only her lord could hear, “Did you hear that whisper?”

Sesshomaru shook his head no. His mouth drew into a tight line and the worry in his eyes increased. He said, “I heard no whisper, Rin. I cannot hear what you describe.” He turned his attention back to his own bowl of steaming stew, leaving Rin to wonder why she could still hear such strange sounds that her lord could not.

Rin ate some of her lunch in silence. It tasted good, the shredded meat melting in her mouth with the vegetables. She giggled when as she saw Inuyasha slurp his before tossing the bowl onto the ground next to him. He patted his stomach. “Now that makes up for the horse ride. Why do I have to ride that stupid animal again, Kagome?”

Kagome shook her head. “Because we can't have people see you run, that's why.” She glared at him as she carefully ate her own bowl of stew. “You got stew on your clothes.”

Rin giggled more at Inuyasha's plight as he ran his hands over the front of his outfit. He turned his nose up into the air. “Feh. Big deal. Who's looking at my clothes, anyways? We're not in that fancy palace anymore.”

Kagome sighed, her eyes casting towards the sky. “I give up. You're utterly hopeless, Inuyasha.”

Rin turned to her lunch again, eating as her lord had taught her. She would not be sloppy and get the outfit she wore dirty. Sesshomaru did not approve of such behavior and she did not want to displease him. Rin may have only been wearing a plain, brown smock borrowed from those they traveled with, but she knew if she dirtied it that Sesshomaru would be disappointed. Rin blew some on a spoonful of stew before carefully eating. From the corner of her eye, she saw Sesshomaru's expression of approval before he glared in the direction of Inuyasha.

Inuyasha turned his back on the group. He harrumphed, his ears flattened to his skull. “Thanks for the vote of confidence.”

The pale, black haired man joined them. He said, “I apologize for the behavior of my subjects. They are obviously quite frightened by the actions of the Karands and demons.”

Rin saw her lord nod his head in answer. He responded by asking, “How close are we to this Karanda?”

“We've traveled about three leagues so far this morning, which is good time considering the speed and the delay. I hear we're supposed to ride roughly after lunch until about sundown. Belgarath said we have to reach Ashaba by the end of the next month.” He brushed his hands over his white mantle.

Rin watched as her lord's brows knit together. He asked, “And how far is this Ashaba, Zakath?”

“It's in the Karandese mountains way up in the north. We'll be slowed down if we hit any blizzards up there on our way, but hopefully we'll avoid much of that. Why we have to to go Torak's old, ruined house is beyond me, but he insists.” The man ate his own stew.

Inuyasha snorted. “Garion said something about some oracles or something or other. I don't know.”

Sesshomaru's soft grunt was the only expression of displeasure. Rin pushed her bowl of stew away, leaning onto his shoulder. He eased his arm around her, holding her close. Zakath put a hand onto his chin. “The Ashabine Oracles? Why would Belgarath waste his time reading the rantings of a mad, dead God? I suppose we'll find out.”

Sesshomaru nodded, “I see.”

Zakath groaned. “What is your monk up to now, Inuyasha? Why do I get the sinking feeling that the two of them are up to no good?”

Inuyasha snorted, crossing his arms. He looked over. “Beats me. As long as they do it over there that's fine by me. For once he's not harassing the hell out of Sango.”

Rin looked over, following Inuyasha's gaze. She saw the little rat faced man and monk sitting together, wiggling their fingers at one another in odd gestures. She giggled. “What are they doing?”

Zakath sighed. “Great. He's teaching that monk of yours the Drasnian Secret Language. That's just what we need, those two to have the ability to plot without speaking.”

Rin looked up towards her lord. His expression was sour as he watched the pair. A faint frown crossed his features and she knew he must have disapproved. She didn't quite know why this might displease her lord, but it did. Glancing back over towards the two as they wiggled their fingers, she wondered what the strange finger movements meant. Before she could ask more questions, a conversation caught her attention when she heard the strange woman with the dark hair and white lock say, “That was Zedar, alright. Father, what are we going to do? What if he is with Naraku?”

Rin heard Inuyasha hiss. He whispered, “Sesshomaru, you don't think that bird was the same one from that fight those two sorcerers had, do you?”

Her lord nodded. “It is possible. They seem to think it is.”

The old man said, “You were very clumsy when you did that, Pol.”

“Sorry. I had an unwanted passenger with me.” She wrinkled her nose and Rin saw the woman's steel eyes pass over her. Rin wondered why she would look at her that way. Rin hadn't done anything wrong, had she?

Belgarath said, “You have a tendency to tie things together sometimes, Pol.”

“Well, you never answered my question, Old Wolf. What are we going to do about it?”

“Nothing. I'm curious to see what Zedar's plans are. He's always wanted the Master's Orb, but I'm not entirely sure what his agenda is. He knows that its out of his reach. Let's see if he keeps following us, alright?” The old man paced a little before heading towards his horse. “We should start getting ready to continue. Zedar knows where we are and I don't want to remain in one place any longer than necessary.”

Rin felt Sesshomaru put a hand on her shoulder. He tilted his head to one side, indicating that they should follow the old man's suggestion. She stood, taking his hand into her own as he led her back to Kagome. Looking up at him, Rin made her brown eyes sad, attempting to get her lord to let her ride with him. His expression remained stoic, but she saw the glimmer of disquiet in his gold eyes. Sesshomaru turned his back on her, walking to his own horse and she sighed.


Dusk approached as a brilliant red filled the sky behind them. A small grove of trees rose up in the distance as they continued on their way. As nightfall approached, the spring night air grew chilled, causing Kagome to pull her gray travel cloak closer. They passed few travelers on the road, but did pass many villages. The villagers watched them with suspicion in their wary faces; the dogs had fallen silent, only to stand on the roadside to watch their progression. All the lights in the villages were dim as to not attract any stragglers on the road. So far the road away from Mal Zeth had been filled with more apprehension than the one that had led in.

Kagome yawned, feeling the stress of heavy travel for the day taking a toll. She repositioned Rin's drowsy form in front of her, leading her horse to follow the rest of the group. Hopefully they would soon set up camp for the night so she could quit feeling as if her inner thighs were burning and her tail bone permanently bruised. Now Kagome understood fully why Inuyasha despised riding. She would have much preferred being on his back. He ran fast and graceful and didn't jar her as much as the horse underneath her had. She sighed, closing her eyes.

“What's wrong, Kagome?” Sango asked from next to her.

“Oh, nothing. Just tired. I got spoiled while we were in the palace, I guess.” Kagome smiled wanly at her friend. “How's Shippo?”

Shippo pulled a sucker out of his mouth. “I'm alright. When we going to set up camp, you think?”

“I hope soon. I can't feel my butt anymore.” She squirmed again, trying to find a comfortable position.

As they approached the grove of trees, Belgarath roused from the doze he had ridden much of the afternoon. He looked around. “We'll stop here for the night.” He stopped his horse, dismounting. Everyone else followed suit.

Kagome sighed in relief. Inuyasha joined her after he had climbed off his own horse. He pulled Rin first out of the saddle, setting her down. Kagome looked down at him, smiling weakly. “Finally, huh?” He snorted, grasping her about the waist to help her down. She kissed him on the cheek. “I think I'm going to see about taking a bath before supper. I have so much dust in my hair.”

Inuyasha nodded. He said, “You ought to take the pup with you. She'll sleep better if you do.”

Kagome nodded. “Sounds like a plan.” She looked down at Rin as she yawned and stretched. “Come on, Rin. Let's see if we can get cleaned up some, okay?” She took the small girl's hand, leading her towards Polgara. She smiled. “Lady Polgara, is there any way we can possibly have a bath before supper?”

“Certainly. I'll have the men set it up.” The tall woman smiled wide. “You two look like you need it.”

Kagome nodded. She watched as the men began to haul water from a small stream nearby. She sat down, Rin next to her. The little girl yawned, leaning into her shoulder. Kagome said, “Rin, we'll get you cleaned up and then you can go see Sesshomaru, alright?”

Rin rubbed an eye. She said, “Okay, Kagome-sama.” The little girl clenched her teeth and tensed up and Kagome looked over, noticing the tub being built out of what appeared to be thin air. As soon as the structure was finished, Rin relaxed. She asked, “Kagome-sama, did you hear that soft whisper?”

Kagome felt sorry for the little girl; she must have asked anyone near her that question lately. “No, Rin. I heard no whisper.” The little girl looked down at the ground and remained silent. Kagome put a hand onto her shoulder, squeezing in attempt to reassure her. It was obvious that Rin could hear what the sorcerers called noise, although Kagome couldn't fathom why that would be.

Sango joined the pair. “Mind if I join you? Lady Polgara said we'd take turns bathing.”

“Sounds fine to me.” She took Rin's hand back into her own, leading the little girl to the secluded area in the glen of trees. She undid the strings to her dress, slipping out of it before removing her underwear and bra. Kagome then helped Rin out of her smock. Sango had already climbed in ahead of them, a sigh of pleasure reaching Kagome's ears.

Kagome steadied Rin as she eased herself in before following. The water was a warm temperature and she didn't want to question how it had gotten that way, she would rather enjoy it. Settling back into the water, she closed her eyes and sighed. “I could have killed for this all day.”

Sango said, “Tell me about it.”

The tub fell silent until Kagome asked, “What do you think Silk and Miroku are up to?”

Sango snorted. “Nothing good, if you ask me.” She washed her hair. “Knowing the monk as I do, he's trying to find new ways to swindle. I saw the two of them wiggling their fingers at one another. What is going on with that?”

Kagome said, “It's some secret language.”

“Great. Just what I need.” Sango rinsed her hair. “That lecher needs to learn a new way to ask women that stupid question.”

Rin settled into the water, quietly washing herself. It was apparent to Kagome that the young girl wanted to be with her lord. Rin didn't contribute to the conversation, her brown eyes trained on the water before her. She washed her hair, squeezing the excess water out. Rin's tired eyes connected with Kagome's briefly and a small smile escaped. What ever was happening to the small girl must have upset her.

Before Kagome could ask Rin what was bothering her, Ce'Nedra joined, sinking into the water as well. She said, “How nice. The water is just right.”

Kagome nodded. “Yeah, it is.” She dunked her head into the water, stripping water from her hair. She lathered some shampoo into her hands, washing her hair. She sighed in contentment.

Rin finished her quick bath, slipping out of the tub to leave the three women alone. She was silent, her brown eyes sad and tired. Kagome wanted to make sure everything was alright but as soon as Rin had slipped back into the brown smock, she ran off to find her lord. Kagome shook her head. The little girl had to be so confused.

Ce'Nedra drew her back to the tub. The usual mischievous look in her eyes and happy smile had disappeared. She looked to be in no mood to be playful. Instead, the tiny girl looked apprehensive, her arms pulled over her chest. She whispered, “This little grove of trees, they're nervous.”

Kagome arched an eyebrow. “Nervous? Nervous how?”

“The trees say something is out there that's threatening.” The little red haired girl looked nervous, her hand resting on the beautiful silver amulet at her neck. It pictured a beautiful tree etched into its surface. “Evil has passed through this wood recently.”

Sango asked, “What type of evil? How do you know?”

Ce'Nedra's green eyes looked towards the demon slayer. “I'm a Dryad. All trees talk. These trees warn of evil. They're restless.” She shuddered.

Kagome wondered what evil the trees were talking about. She noticed that the tree branches dipped down around their tub, sheltering them. She looked around the darkening sky as nightfall set in. Even though she was in warm water, she hugged herself, feeling a slight chill brush across her skin. The trees were not wrong. Evil of some sort had passed through the small grove perhaps three or four days ago. She could feel the dark aura penetrate the air around her. Suddenly she wished that the old sorcerer would have driven them to ride a few more miles.

Sango wrestled with the soap before washing herself. She said, “I'm sure what ever it is that passed through here won't be here tonight. We'll handle it if it comes back.” She sounded as if she was trying to reassure herself as much as those with her.

Kagome quickly finished her bath, wanting to be by Inuyasha. The aura was very dark and evil although it didn't remind her of Naraku's. She exited the tub, pulling on her clothes in haste. She smiled at the two remaining in the tub. “I'll see you at supper.” Just as she finished talking, Kagome felt a slight tingle in her spine and tug on her mind. She gasped, lifting her skirts to run to Inuyasha. She knew that feeling. Ignoring both Sango and Ce'Nedra's calls, she sprinted.

Inuyasha saw her approach, his gold eyes wide. He asked, “Kagome, everything alright?”

“I felt it.” Kagome gasped, trying to catch her breath. “I felt it.”

“Felt what? What are you talking about?” Inuyasha grunted when she collided with his strong from. He hugged her, rubbing her hair. “Are you feeling what the pup is?”

Kagome looked up, confusion on her face. She shook her head before hitting her fists on his shoulders. “No, baka! I felt a shard! It's about three days to the east.”

“Are you sure?” Inuyasha looked down at her.

Kagome nodded. She saw Sesshomaru over Inuyasha's shoulder. His expression was unreadable, all except for the narrowing of his eyes. Rin rested in his lap, glancing at the two of them. Looking back into Inuyasha's face, she said, “Ce'Nedra, she said the trees were whispering of great evil passing through here. That shard had to have passed through here.”

Inuyasha nodded, hugging her close. “We'll probably find who ever has it as we're heading the same way.”