Crossover Fan Fiction / InuYasha Fan Fiction ❯ The Journey to the City of Endless Night ❯ Chapter Thirty-Four ( Chapter 34 )

[ X - Adult: No readers under 18. Contains Graphic Adult Themes/Extreme violence. ]

Chapter Thirty-Four

Kagome entered the suite that Polgara shared with Durnik. Polgara called out, “Come in, dear. Be quiet, though. Ce'Nedra needs her rest.” Kagome rounded the corner, seeing the dark haired woman sitting in a chair, her needle flashing in and out of a tunic. Her frost lock caught the late morning sun, reflecting it back.

Kagome looked over, noticing the tiny form of Ce'Nedra under the bed covers. She looked pale and fragile lying underneath. Her bright red curls made her pallor face even more so and Kagome wished she could do something to make the queen feel better. Kagome whispered, “What happened?”

“Someone tried to drown her in the bathtub in the room she shares with Garion. We nearly lost Ce'Nedra but she pulled through. She just needs her rest now. I sent Garion away so she could get her rest without him pacing a hole into my carpet.” Polgara bit the thread, setting aside the mended garment. “Now, I hear you wish to learn how to cook, dear.”

“Well, I already know some things but not a whole lot. You cook so well so I thought I'd ask you.” Kagome blushed, looking down at the rich blue carpet. “That's if you have time, after all. Ce'Nedra looks pretty ill.”

“She just needs to sleep. The poor thing is just so tiny so we must be careful. The more rest she has the better.” Polgara stood, crossing to the fire pit in the room. She said, “I've set aside some food stuffs for us to make a nice lunch.”

Kagome smiled. “Thanks. I'm sure Inuyasha will appreciate it. He didn't get to eat much last night.”

Polgara nodded. “Well, what would you like to learn first? Why don't you tell me what you know.”

“Well, I don't know much besides a few basics. I try but it just doesn't always come out.” Kagome blushed, remembering Inuyasha's rude behavior after making him lunch once. He had said only one thing had been good. She sighed.

Polgara's rich laughter filled the room. “We can change that, dear. Why don't we get started.” She stood, pulling on an apron. “The first thing to remember about cooking is that it is an art. Just like anything else, you have to have strong feelings about it to make it turn out well. If you don't care about what you're preparing, those who eat it won't care either. They'll be able to tell.”

Kagome nodded. She felt mildly confused, but went with what the sorceress said. “I understand.”

“Alright. Why don't you start chopping some vegetables for me? We'll make a nice meat pie first. I'd like some carrots, celery, and onions first, dear.” Polgara turned, setting different ingredients on a small table. “We'll have that for supper later.”

Kagome nodded. She picked a knife from the knives Polgara provided, setting out to chop. She selected the celery first, chopping the stems away from the head. As she chopped, she thought about the conversation she had with Inuyasha. She knew that she had to find another method of birth control and soon because her pills were running low. The look on his face when he thought he couldn't give her children had nearly crushed her but she knew they weren't ready yet. Kagome cleared her head, finely chopping the celery stalks before moving them into a pile on a plate. She asked, “Lady Polgara, can I ask you something?”

Polgara nodded. “What is it, dear?”

Kagome blushed, thinking about what she was going to ask. “Well, um, you see, I would like some help with preventing pregnancy.” She looked down at the carrot she had to peel.

“Oh? Don't you and Inuyasha want children?” Polgara asked, an eyebrow arched. “Does he know you want to do that?”

“Yeah, he knows. We do want children, but not right now. Naraku is still about and I couldn't bear to bring a child into the equation. I couldn't fathom having my baby hurt.” She peeled the carrot carefully, not wanting to nick herself.

“I can understand that, dear. Is everything alright between the two of you?” The tall sorceress asked, concern in her violet eyes.

Kagome nodded. “Yeah. It's great. I just wish he would stop putting himself down. Inuyasha is so insecure sometimes.”

“I know he's madly in love with you. I wouldn't worry, dear. He'll grow out of it, eventually.” Polgara smiled as she set out some utensils for the meal. “Inuyasha's entirely devoted to you, you know.”

“I know, I know. He just gets so down on himself because he's a half-demon and thinks that he's not pure enough. I keep trying to tell him that I don't care that he's half-demon. In fact, I love that about him.” Kagome sighed as she finished chopping some of the vegetables.

Polgara shook her head. “He makes the most simple things difficult, doesn't he? Just keep encouraging him. He'll find that it doesn't matter what he is as long as you think highly of him.” She turned, skewering some meat. “Why don't we look through what I have in my medicine case after we're done making lunch? I have just the thing you need for preventing pregnancy. It's about as close as you'll come to sure protection.” She smiled at her as she prepared the fire for the meat she would roast.

Kagome smiled weakly at her. Then she remembered Rin also was in need of medicine. The aspirin bottle she had would eventually run dry as well, and there was no telling when they would be able to stock up more supplies. They had yet to discover a way back to the village or Inuyasha's forest so she would have to rely on other methods and soon. Kagome said, “Thanks. I have one more favor. You wouldn't happen to have any supplies for menstruation?”

Polgara's eyebrow arched. “Certainly.”

“Well, you see, Rin is going through her first time.” Kagome sighed. She thought of the utter helplessness that had crossed both Sesshomaru and Inuyasha's faces as the young girl experienced cramps. It brought a small smile to her face to think the two powerful brothers had panicked over something so natural simply because they did not understand and had no target to destroy. She shook her head, setting aside the carrots she chopped.

Polgara laughed softly. “Oh dear. I can only imagine what Sesshomaru is going through then. He must be worried sick over the whole affair.” She finished roasting some of the meat. The sorceress cringed, glaring towards the door. “I really wish Garion would quit having his tantrum. He's going to make me go deaf.”

Kagome shook her head. “I don't hear anything. What do you mean?”

Polgara sighed. “He's destroying a room down the hall right now. It's terribly noisy. I guess it could be worse.” She placed more meat onto a spit before putting it into the fire. “He's got a right to be angry, after all. I just hope he doesn't over do it. The Old Wolf is going to be irritable if he doesn't quit making all that noise.”

“What noise?” Kagome asked. She still hadn't really heard anything. It made no sense. It reminded her of the noise that Rin had asked about. The little girl had seemed convinced that there was a sound she could only hear that came with menstruation. It baffled her. What was she hearing and why couldn't either Sesshomaru or Inuyasha hear it? Could it be the sound that Polgara was describing? She shook her head, dismissing the idea as soon as it entered her head. Kagome heard a booming sound from down the hall, as if something had exploded. She cringed. “Oh, you mean that.”

“Well, it's much louder to me. I can hear him unleashing his will and he's so very clumsy when he's angry. The explosions of the things he's destroying is bad enough. He's making thunderclaps go off in my head.” The sorceress withered. “I really wish he'd stop.”

Kagome nodded her agreement. “Lady Polgara, may I ask you something?”

“Go right ahead, dear. That's what I'm here for.” She smiled, preparing more food.

“I'm curious, what age does someone typically become a sorcerer?”

“My uncle believes that it manifests itself alongside the onset and entrance into puberty. For boys that can be about thirteen to fifteen years of age and for girls, according to his theory, I suppose, ten to about twelve. Why?” Polgara's eyes trained on her, curious.

“Just curious, that's all.” Kagome looked down at the vegetables again, averting her gaze from the sorceress. “And others who have talent can hear it? How does one use it?”

“My, we are full of questions.” Polgara nimbly finished another portion of the lunch before moving onto supper. “Yes, others who have talent, even if they're as father says, latent, can hear it. He believes that all men are capable of using the Will and the Word. My uncle Beldin believes if one is to use it, they most likely develop talent at puberty and display it. Unfortunately, most destroy themselves with their first act because they try to unmake something.”

“Unmake something? Isn't that what Garion is doing down the hall?” Another explosion could be heard in the distance from down the hall.

“Oh no, he's just breaking things. The things he's doing that to still exist, just in a different form. When one says “be not” or “go away” or “cease” as they unleash their will, it uncoils on them and causes them to cease existing instead of the object or person they're angry at. That's why we think we run across so few with our talent.” Polgara brushed her hands against her apron. “My first conscious act as a sorceress was rather silly.”

“Oh? What did you do?”

“I had been visiting with the birds that live in the Tree back in the Vale. I had almost moved into that tree, mainly because I was angry with the Old Wolf. Birds are most ungrateful creatures at times, especially when they've become lazy. I had been hauling seed to the Tree for weeks and they still chattered about me, demanding more. So, I willed into existence a half ton of seed.” She smiled bemusedly. “Silly excuse for a miracle, huh?”

Kagome laughed. “I suppose so. So you were frustrated the first time you used it.”

“Yes. Garion was furious the first time he used it and still regrets what he did. I suspect Inuyasha and Garion would be very compatible as friends. Garion was throughly convinced he was a monster after his first use of what most call sorcery. He burned Asharak the Murgo to death. He was only fourteen when it happened and I know he regrets it.” Polgara's eyes went to a hard steel color. She said in a low voice, “I, however, do not. Asharak killed Garion's parents by burning the house down around them. Garion nearly perished as well.”

Kagome shuddered. “That's horrible.”

“Fortunately, Garion was guided by Necessity, or the Prophecy, otherwise he could have very well willed himself out of existence in his fury. Asharak had slapped me, causing Garion to become furious. I know he's never looked at himself the same again after it happened.” Polgara sighed. “It had to be done. It was one of the tasks he had to fulfill before facing Torak.” She finished another portion of the meal.

Kagome shook her head, looking over towards Ce'Nedra again. Her small chest rose and fell with her deep breaths. She asked softly, “So why did someone try to kill Ce'Nedra?”

“They want Garion to go home and quit interfering with what they consider religious affairs.” Polgara prepared more meat for the spit. “We'll roast some meat for lunch and prepare the pies for supper, how about that?”

“Okay.” Kagome thought about what the sorceress had said. “But wouldn't they want the demons gone? Wouldn't they want Naraku to leave?”

“You'd think so, but I guess some Grolims are becoming desperate. The idea that Garion, the very man who slew their God, could come back to what they consider holy ground, upsets them.” Polgara sighed. “What they don't understand is it had to be done. Torak was insane. As bad as an insane man is, an insane God is worse. Either Torak died or the entire world fell under his dominion. Blood would have run on altars around the world if it had gone differently.”

Kagome's eyes went wide. “And now Naraku is in his old city? If they find Garion to be so offensive to their God, why do they not find Naraku, a half-demon, offensive to him as well?”

“I think they want anyone who can even remotely pose a threat to Garion at this point. I don't really know how much this Naraku knows of Garion, but I think the Grolims who have sided with him believe that Naraku can defeat Garion.” Polgara finished the meat, setting it aside into a basket.

Kagome nodded. “And we're here now because of him.”

“Yes and no. I suspect you have more roles to play in the Prophecy than you might think. We're not all that sure just yet, but it is certainly no mistake that you arrived in our Vale when you did. I also think you've had some tasks to complete. Some have been met, I'm sure, while others await.”

Kagome was about to ask what tasks they had completed when Ce'Nedra moved in the bed behind them, stretching. She yawned, looking over with bleary green eyes. She smiled when she saw Kagome. “Oh, hello, Kagome.”

Kagome smiled back at her. “How are you feeling? I heard what happened.”

“Yeah. I'll be alright. Aunt Pol knows what to do.” She ran a hand through her flame colored locks. “I'm so hungry.”

Polgara smiled. “Well, that's a good sign.”

Ce'Nedra threw her feet over the side of the bed. She steadied herself on wobbly legs and Kagome stood up, slipping her arm around the queen's tiny frame. “Are you making meat pies?” Once they had crossed the room, Ce'Nedra sat down in a plush chair by the small work table. Kagome returned to her spot, resuming her work on the vegetables.

“Yes, dear. Would you like to help or are you still feeling a little dizzy? You should rest, you know.” Polgara's tone scolded the tiny queen.

“I'm fine. Just need to sit up for awhile.” She winked at Kagome. “So, how are you and dog boy?”

“We're fine.” Kagome felt a blush tinge her cheeks. It embarrassed her to talk about such matters with anyone. Considering what she and Inuyasha had done, twice she might add in one day, only fueled the rose tint on her cheeks further.

“Ce'Nedra, what do I keep telling you. Don't pester her.” Polgara shook her head, packing some cheese into the basket.

Ce'Nedra pouted, sticking her lower lip out. “You're not fun, did you know that?” She set out to help make some crust for the meat pies and other pastries. She leaned over, giggling. “Don't be so shy.”

Polgara's voice became stern. “Ce'Nedra, leave her be.”

Kagome cleared her throat, trying to steer the conversation away from her private life with Inuyasha. She asked, “When do you think we'll be leaving Mal Zeth?”

“I'd say maybe in a couple days. We need to rest after the past forty-eight hours, and Ce'Nedra, my dear, you need to regain your strength before we make our way out onto the road.” Polgara made some crusts for pastries, hers much neater than the queen's.

Kagome nodded. “Sounds like a plan.”

Silence filled the room as the ladies worked. The only sound that reached anyones ears was the quiet, melodic hum from Polgara as she worked quickly on the lunch and meat pies. Kagome saw that the basket was filling up rather nicely, some nice roast meat, fruit, cheese, and sweet pastries making their way into it. She knew that Inuyasha would appreciate it, even if he probably would act rudely about it. When she was satisfied that the lunch was complete, she said, “Thank-you, Lady Polgara. I think I'll go find Inuyasha and take this outside for lunch. I'll be back later for those---supplies.” She blushed when she saw Ce'Nedra's wicked smile.

Kagome picked the basket up, making her way into the hall way. Outside the door sat Inuyasha, his arms crossed. “Thought you'd never get out of there, wench. What did you make?”

Kagome set the basket down, her hands on her hips. “How long have you been there?” She picked it up, looking inside as she listed the items she had helped make. “Roast meat and some pastries. Let's go. I'm starving.” She linked her arm into his after picking the basket up with her free hand. “Why don't we ask Sango and Miroku if they want to come along?”

Inuyasha snorted. She saw that his ears drooped and his expression formed into a scowl. “Feh. Whatever. Let's go.” He slipped his arm out of hers, fastening it around her waist. “Smells good, what ever you got in there.”

They knocked on the door, Sango opening it. She looked angry, glaring over her shoulder towards the monk. Kagome asked, “Would you like to join us for lunch?” She lifted the basket for emphasis.

“Sure. Anything to get out of that room with that lecher.” She stomped out into the hallway.

Miroku came out, a broad smile on his face. He smiled at the two of them. “Did I hear that you were bringing a lunch out into the garden? What a lovely idea.”

Shippo bounded out, launching himself into Kagome's arms. He said, “Did you put anything sweet into the basket?”

“You bet I did!” Kagome smiled at what she considered her surrogate son. “Why don't we all make our way out there and share it?”

Inuyasha snorted, glaring in the kit's direction as he held the basket. “Feh. I'm hungry. Let's just go already.”

Kagome glared over her shoulder at him. She sighed. He was cranky and she wasn't really sure why. What was upsetting him now? His ears were flattened tightly to his skull and he had a big scowl on his face. She shrugged her shoulders, not entirely sure what was bothering him. Had he wanted to share lunch alone with her? She hissed, “Be nice. Let's just go eat lunch, alright?”

“Feh.” It was the only answer she got from him as they exited out into the garden walk ways.



Sesshomaru kept his gaze trained on Rin as she gathered flowers. He knew that she was making a crown and that he was the recipient. It did not bother him that she wished to make such a gift; in fact he found it to be rather endearing. What disturbed him was the way the birds were reacting to her. Rin seemed to be holding conversations with the birds, one sided to his ears at that, but conversations none the less. He watched her work as sparrows and finches brought more materials. It baffled him as to what was going on. Hummingbirds would flutter near him as if they were assessing him in some way before returning to Rin.

Rin worked carefully on her crown. Her slim fingers worked quickly on the garland she was making. The flowers looked delicate in the pattern she was preparing. White orchids, miniature red roses, violets, morning glories and the large yellow rose bloom sat near her as she made her crown. It was obvious to Sesshomaru that her years of making the frivolous objects for him had paid off. It was becoming a rather lovely crown, the jewel of it being the large yellow rose that Rin carefully centered.

Sesshomaru arched his eyebrows as he watched Rin diligently work. A sparrow landed not far from her, chirping slightly. Rin wordlessly stopped her task, picking up a small seed next to her. She held it out into her palm, offering it up to the small bird next to her. It jumped into her palm, gently pecking at it to pick up the seed. From there it flew off, leaving Rin to her work. Sesshomaru heard Rin whisper quietly, “You're welcome and thank-you.” It was as if the tiny girl had understood the bird song, knowing what it had requested.

This disturbed him greatly. It perplexed him as to why his Rin would understand the bird song about her. What was going on with her? Why could she hear things he could not and now speak with the birds? Something was happening to his Rin and it had nothing to do with her first cycle as a woman. Sesshomaru shook his head, firm in his belief that his Rin was still the innocent human girl he had revived all those years ago. She couldn't possibly be one of the sorcerers they had joined with in their quest to find Naraku.

He arched an eyebrow when he heard her giggle. Rin shook her head at one of the birds near her. It was a red hummingbird. It flitted about her, brushing its wings against her creamy skin. She smiled wide and said, “I don't think Sesshomaru-sama would like that very much. He doesn't seem to like pink.”

Sesshomaru looked over, noticing that her handiwork was nearly completed. He watched as the young girl stood, waving at the birds as if they were her friends. She placed the completed crown behind her back as she approached. He would allow her to present her gift in any manner she saw fit, although he had already seen most of the finished product already. It would spoil her presentation to him and he had no desire to disappoint the young girl. She had, after all, put such careful work into the gift she had made.

Rin stopped in front of him, a large smile on her face that reached her dark brown eyes. She said, “I have something for you, Sesshomaru-sama.”

Sesshomaru nodded towards her, letting her know that he acknowledged her presence and that she had his undivided attention. She pulled the crown out from behind her back, showing it to him. It was the best he had ever seen her make. The crown jewel rose looked like gold in its center as it faded to a soft yellow. The reds, blues, golds, whites and purples contrasted nicely with it and the green of the fern she had used finished off the overall look nicely.

Rin held it up, offering it to him. “Do you like it, Sesshomaru-sama?” She smiled even wider.

He nodded again, a small smile his only show of appreciation for her hard work. Sesshomaru leaned forward, letting her affix it atop his head. Once it was in place, he sat up, looking at her. He knew he should have felt ridiculous having such a crown placed onto his head but Sesshomaru refused to disappoint the small child. She had, after all, put in so much work into it and he had to admit that it was rather beautiful.

Rin clapped her hands in glee before she hugged him. “I'm glad you like it. It looks nice.” Sesshomaru placed his arm around her, gently hugging her back. “Do you like it?”

“Yes, Rin.”

A few of the hummingbirds returned, flitting about his head as they seemed to assess the final product as it rested on his silver hair. He saw from the corner of his eye Rin smile wide at them before slipping out of his grasp. The hummingbirds flew away, returning to the bushes that lined the walks. She sat down next to him and took his hand into her own. “I'm glad.” She leaned her head onto his shoulder, sighing. Sesshomaru slipped his arm around her, pulling her close. It was nice to sit and enjoy the spring air in her company. She hugged him around his torso, lying her head onto his chest.

As he sat with her, he heard the approach of footsteps. Bellowing announced that his brother had to be amongst those joining them by the pond. Sesshomaru had hoped to spend more time with his Rin in silence, but it was not meant to be. Rounding the corner, he saw the young fox kit running followed by Inuyasha with his arm protectively around Kagome's waist, the slayer and monk walking apart in embarrassment, and the Godslayer behind them. The Godslayer held a basket and it was apparent they had brought lunch. Having not eaten much at the party the night before, Sesshomaru welcomed the idea.

Inuyasha snickered, biting on his lip with a fang to keep from laughing as he sat down, Kagome next to him. His gold eyes held mirth and Sesshomaru inwardly sighed. Inuyasha was certainly finding amusement in his new head adornment. Sesshomaru would not remove it to make his brother quit laughing, as it was a gift from Rin and he had no need to displease the girl. Inuyasha stopped choking his laughter back when Kagome elbowed him roughly in the ribs.

Kagome smiled wide. “We brought lunch with us for anyone who wants some. We have roast meats, pastries, fresh fruit, wine, bread, and cheese. Dig in guys.”

Inuyasha threw the basket top open, greedily digging for a chicken leg. Sesshomaru wished he could deny any relation to his brother at that point as he watched Inuyasha attempt to shove the whole thing in his mouth. Inuyasha tore the meat off the bone, chewing it quickly before tossing the bone aside. He reached into the basket for another helping when he yelped like a struck puppy, pulling his hand back. Kagome had slapped it.

“Inuyasha, don't be such a rude pig.” She glared in his direction before turning towards Sesshomaru. “Would you like anything, Sesshomaru?”

Sesshomaru leaned forward, looking into the basket. He delicately picked up his own chicken leg, before allowing Rin to select what she would eat. He politely ate his chicken leg in silence, not wishing to imitate his little brother. Rin picked a pastry before sitting down next to him to eat. She also was quiet, mindful of her manners as she ate her selection slowly.

The young fox kit had his own piece of roast chicken. He jumped away from the others, eating his quietly. Glancing over towards Inuyasha, he shook his head. “What an idiot. He is so going to get sat.”

Inuyasha shoved his face into Kagome's. “You said we could dig in. What's the matter with you?”

“Inuyasha, you're supposed to share.” Kagome stood, her hands on her hips. “You're half dog demon, not half pig.”

The Godslayer had been silent as he selected his own piece of meat. He snickered slightly under his breath. The young king whispered, “One for her side.” The young blonde man averted his gaze as he saw Inuyasha glare in his direction. A small smile remained on his plain features.

The monk and slayer sat not far away, exchanging glances. They shook their heads in disappointment as they ate the lunch Kagome had provided. Apparently the quiet calm Sesshomaru had looked forward to was quickly disappearing and instead another fight between Inuyasha and Kagome would replace it. As much as he was thankful for the lunch, Sesshomaru wished that they had simply stayed inside.

Inuyasha stood, crossing his arms. He leaned into the miko's face. “Well it wasn't all that good anyways.” He turned his nose up at her. Sesshomaru rolled his eyes, sighing. His brother was making a complete ass out of himself. “You, you shut up. At least I don't let things get forced onto my head.”

Sesshomaru felt Rin hide behind his shoulder and he put his hand onto her back, rubbing it gently in circles. He glared in his brother's direction, furious that he would let his mouth run in front of the child. Before he could reprimand the half-breed, Kagome had clenched her fists at her side. “You take that back, Inuyasha. Rin-chan worked really hard to make that beautiful crown for Sesshomaru. And if you don't like what I made for lunch, then don't eat it.”

“Maybe I won't eat it then! See if I care!” He turned his back on her, his nose held high in the air and his arms crossed.

Sesshomaru watched as the miko shoved into his brother's face, as angry as he'd ever seen her be with Inuyasha. They both growled at each other, refusing to back down before Kagome shoved a finger into Inuyasha's face. She clenched her hands into fists at her side, turning her back on him. Kagome shouted, “Sit boy! Sit, sit, sit, sit, sit, sit, sit, sit, sit!”

Each incantation that Inuyasha's mate issued made the necklace around Inuyasha's neck glow and caused him to slam into the ground. Sesshomaru cringed, thankful that he did not have to fear any such painful or humiliating experience. Inuyasha whimpered before whining, “Stop!” At each command from Kagome, it seemed that the dirt beneath Inuyasha gave way and around his form the ground took his shape.

Kagome turned her back on him, sitting down next to Sesshomaru. “I think your crown is lovely, Sesshomaru. Rin-chan did a good job. Inuyasha's just a jerk!” She turned her nose up at Inuyasha. “Sit boy!” A loud whimper escaped Inuyasha's throat as the necklace glowed again, slamming him further into the ground.

The Godslayer moved himself away from the prostrate hanyou. He cringed. “And to think I thought Ce'Nedra's screeches were bad.” He averted his eyes further from the couple as he ate his lunch.

The monk and slayer shook their heads in further disappointment. The monk sighed. “He never learns.”

The slayer nodded her agreement as she ate her cheese. “You can say that again, monk.” She stiffened when the monk's hand slid to her bottom. She whirled, slapping him in the face. “You hentai! And you don't learn, either!”

Sesshomaru sighed audibly, his hand going over his eyes. What had he done to deserve this ruckus near him? He had hoped to sit some more with Rin in the nice afternoon air by the pond. If it wasn't Inuyasha and Kagome fighting it appeared that the monk and slayer would take their place. The monk held his hand up to his smarted cheek, bliss in his expression. He said, “My dear Sango, you misunderstand my intentions!” Sesshomaru knew that the monk had to be lying as the sickly sweet tone of voice gave away his true meaning.

Rin peeked around his shoulder, looking towards Inuyasha as he finally pried himself out of the ground. She whispered, “Sesshomaru-sama, why did Inuyasha-sama say those mean things?”

“Because he is a baka half-breed.” Sesshomaru answered, his gold eyes trained on Inuyasha as he brushed himself off and stood.

Inuyasha's golden eyes locked with his own and were hard as agates. They softened when he saw Rin. Inuyasha's shoulders slumped and his ears drooped. He scuffed his foot on the ground in guilt. Rin hid herself behind Sesshomaru's fur and Inuyasha said, “Aw, come on Rin, don't hide from me. I think you made a pretty crown.”

Rin peeked out from behind Sesshomaru's shoulder. She smiled wide at Inuyasha and stepped out. “Really?”

Kagome crossed her arms and snorted next to him. “Sure, now he likes it.”

Rin stepped closer towards Inuyasha. She smiled up at him. “Would you like one, Inuyasha-sama?”

Inuyasha's ears went on alert and he slumped when he saw Rin's hopeful expression and Kagome's glare. “I would love one, pup.”

Sesshomaru watched as she made her way towards the bushes again. He saw the same hummingbirds make their way towards her as she selected flowers for the new crown she would make for his brother. A few of the hummingbirds fluttered towards Inuyasha, assessing him much as they had done to Sesshomaru. The strange behavior from earlier resumed and Sesshomaru watched as Rin disappeared around a corner, only to return with a fern, similar to the one she had used for his own crown. He glanced up, looking at the yellow rose adorning his own forehead, above his crescent moon.

Sesshomaru caught with his ears Rin giggle again. She pointed towards Inuyasha before gathering more flowers. One of the birds around her flew over, flying in front of Inuyasha's face, as if checking him over. The bird returned to Rin's side, dipping its bill into one of the blooms. Rin picked it, gathering more flowers as she went along. Inuyasha's brow crinkled in confusion. He muttered, “What the fuck? Why did that bird fly in my face?”

The Godslayer remained silent, his blue eyes trained on Rin. He seemed lost in thought as he watched the young girl gather flowers for the project she was working on. He scowled before his eyes went wide. The blonde man looked back down at his lunch. He set it down, standing. “Kagome, thanks for the lunch. I've got to go check on Ce'Nedra.” He turned his back, making his way towards the palace. Sesshomaru suspected the young man had other intentions as he quickly walked away.

Inuyasha flattened his ears. “I hope everything is alright with his mate.” He shrugged, sneaking his hand into the basket to pull out some more roast meat.

Kagome sighed. “That poor thing. He must be worried sick over Ce'Nedra.” She took out some fruit, munching on it quietly.

Sesshomaru saw Rin sit down with all her supplies. She started to fashion Inuyasha's crown in much same way she had his. This time, the crown jewel flower was a brilliant red rose halfway bloomed. She set that aside, working first on the garland that would lead up to the center of the crown. This one was predominately red and blue. Sesshomaru was content to watch her work, tuning out the actions of those around him. Her slim fingers worked so well on the garland and the concentration in her face showed how much care she was placing into the work.

Inuyasha shook his head as he finished his second piece of roast meat. He said softly, “Is it just me, or is there something weird about the birds and the pup?”

Kagome looked over, watching. She nodded. “Look at those birds flocking around her. Wonder what is going on.”

Rin worked carefully, oblivious to those around her. She constructed the crown she made, centering the lovely red rose. She slowly worked her way around the other side, her nimble fingers adding more morning glories and miniature red roses. As she finished her project, she stood, crossing towards Inuyasha, the gift held in her hands behind her back. She stopped in front of him. “Would you like to see it?”

Inuyasha smiled softly at her and Sesshomaru watched as he accepted the gift. He said, “Sure thing, pup.”

Rin pulled it out, presenting it to him. She said, “I hope you like it, Inuyasha-sama.”

Inuyasha ruffled her hair. He bent down, letting her place it on his head. As he sat up, he glared in Sesshomaru's direction and then the monk's, daring anyone to say anything about his new crown. The red rose centered directly on his forehead and the garland slid to fit snuggly around the base of his ears. He said, “It's very nice, pup.” His voice was gruff.

Rin clapped. “It looks nice on you, Inuyasha-sama.”

Kagome giggled. She said, “You two look so adorable with those.” Inuyasha scowled in her direction, crossing his arms.

Miroku and Sango shook their heads as they looked at one another. Shippo, on the other hand, bounded over to the half-breed, looking up at him. Before he could say anything, Inuyasha raised a fist as if to strike the kit. Shippo backed away, laughing as he got out of range from the disgruntled half-demon. Inuyasha growled. “Why I oughta, you little runt.”

Sesshomaru saw from the corner of his eye Rin yawn. She looked tired and he knew that she hadn't gotten a lot of sleep, excluding the morning. He stood, cradling her to his chest. “Rin and I shall return to our quarters.”

Kagome pouted. “I suppose we should all get some rest. Let's pack it up and go inside.” She smiled at him, before whispering, “I want a picture of you and Inuyasha and you're not getting out of it.”

Sesshomaru sighed, turning his eyes up towards the sky. How did he get himself into these situations? He turned his back on the others, not bothering to wait for them. Sesshomaru glared at the servants that stared at his new head adornment, daring them to comment. He arrived to the rooms that Rin and he shared, entering. Rin snuggled against him, smiling. He sat down onto the bed, keeping her in his lap.

Kagome peeked inside the door, followed by a grumbling Inuyasha. She held the silver object in her hand, the camera phone. They closed the door behind themselves and Kagome said, “I want you two to stand next to one another with Rin, okay?”

Inuyasha snorted. “Feh. Why?” His sour expression lost some of its potency with the flower crown resting atop his head. Inuyasha's ears drooped and he crossed his arms. “Fine, but I'm not touching him or anything.”

Kagome said, “I'm not asking you to. I want you to stand next to one another with Rin standing right in front.”

Sesshomaru stood, wondering what the purpose of all this strange posing was. If it would make them both leave sooner, he would give in. Inuyasha stood next to him, glaring. He said, “Don't look at me, it's Kagome who's making us do this.” Rin moved to stand right in front of them, smiling wide.

Kagome said, “Both of you, put a hand onto her shoulders, okay? Now smile!” Sesshomaru shook his head and settled his hand onto Rin's shoulder. He saw Inuyasha do the same. He had to admit he felt ridiculous doing this but gave in to the miko's wish none the less. He watched in fascination as Kagome lifted the strange camera phone up, pointing it at them before an audible click could be heard. She pushed a button again before nodding. “You can stop now.”

Inuyasha pulled away, turning his back. His arms were crossed. “I don't get it. What was that all about? You just pointed that stupid thing at us.”

Kagome sighed. She turned the object around, facing them. Sesshomaru looked at it with interest. The only one who had smiled at all in the picture had been Rin. Both he and Inuyasha had emotionless faces as they stood, wearing their crowns, hands on Rin's shoulders. Kagome said, “I took a couple pictures. You don't have to get all defensive about it. Sheesh.”

Inuyasha turned his nose up in the air. He glanced over his shoulder towards Kagome. “I still don't know why you had to do that.”

“Cause I want to be able to remember it.” She glared at him and Sesshomaru inwardly groaned. Were they going to have another fight, in his rooms no less? “Why are you being such a jerk?”

Inuyasha turned his back on her, not responding. Sesshomaru, finally reaching the end of his patience, commanded in a low tone, “You shall take your lover's quarrel to your own quarters.”

Both stopped in the middle of their brewing fight, staring at him. They both blushed profusely before Kagome put her hand on the back of her neck. “We're sorry, Sesshomaru. We'll leave you be.” She tugged on Inuyasha's hand, pulling him towards the door.

As soon as they disappeared into the hall, Sesshomaru sat down on the bed, his eyes closed as he drank in the silence filling the room. Rin joined him, hugging her lord. All he had wanted the entire afternoon was to spend some time with his Rin without disturbance. Was that truly that much to ask for?

Rin whispered, “They're very loud, aren't they?”

Sesshomaru laughed low in his throat, agreeing with the young girl. “Yes, Rin. That they are.”