Crossover Fan Fiction / InuYasha Fan Fiction ❯ The Journey to the City of Endless Night ❯ Chapter Forty-Nine ( Chapter 49 )

[ X - Adult: No readers under 18. Contains Graphic Adult Themes/Extreme violence. ]

Chapter Forty-Nine

Thunder rumbled in the distance and a strong gust of wind caused the tall grass to sway. Sango glanced towards the gray sky, noticing the large, dark thunderhead looming above. She shivered, drawing her gray cloak closer. Even without enhanced senses, Sango could smell a hint of fresh, moist earth on the breeze, signifying an approaching rainstorm. She looked back down, watching as Kagome, Polgara, and Ce'Nedra set out to combine a few of the tents together to provide a large shelter. The demon slayer listened for the sound of horses and as time went by it seemed the monk would be caught out in the storm.

“Sango, come help tie this stake,” Kagome called, tugging on a rope as the wind whipped the fabric of the tent around.

Sango turned her attention from the road and crossed to the tent. She drove the stake deeper into the soft earth and grasped the rope Kagome held, tethering the tent to it. She asked, “You think that's good enough or should we tie it tighter, Kagome-chan?”

“Yeah, it's tight enough. We have one more stake on this side.” Kagome gazed towards the road, worry in her gold speckled eyes. She smiled wanly and handed Sango the stake.

Sango accepted it and drove it into the ground. She took the rope from Kagome, wrapping it tightly around the stake. Once it was fastened securely, Sango wiped her hands on a handkerchief that Kagome offered. Sango glanced out into the gloom attempting to see if anyone was approaching on the road. More thunder rumbled as the others finished assembling the large tent.

Sango snorted and muttered, “Serves that lecher right to get caught in the storm.”

They entered the tent together and Sango sat down into a back corner. Kagome settled down next to her. An audible sigh escaped her lips and her eyes fell closed as she stretched. Kagome said, “Looks like a nasty storm is on its way, don't you think, Sango-chan? I sure hope Inuyasha doesn't get caught in it.”

Sango stretched, lifting her arms over her head. She frowned. “Why would Inuyasha get caught in the storm? Weren't you just talking to him? Where did he go? Is everything alright, Kagome?”

Kagome nodded. A wide yawn escaped her lips and she relaxed against the taut fabric of the tent. A contented smile crossed her face. “I needed to talk to Inuyasha about something, that's all. He went to find Sesshomaru because Rin wondered where he was. Everything's fine. Don't worry about it.”

“Oh.” Sango drew her knees to her chest, resting her chin atop them. “So you're sure everything's alright, Kagome?”

Kagome blushed, turning away. She said, “Yes, I'm sure. Everything's fine. Don't worry.”

Sango sat forward. “You never did tell me what was bothering you in the bath,” she paused, “or how you got those bruises on your neck.”

The color in Kagome's cheeks intensified. She raised a hand to her throat where the bruises darkened her skin. “It was nothing. Don't worry about it, okay?”

Sango snorted. “It's something, Kagome. Something happened between you and Inuyasha, didn't it. You're sure he didn't hurt you? I'm just worried about you.”

Kagome's eyes went wide and she shook her head forcefully. “Inuyasha didn't hurt me. He would never hurt me. It's not like that at all, honestly.” The scarlet in her cheeks flared.

Sango arched an eyebrow. She leaned forward and rested her hand onto Kagome's shoulder. Sango said, “Then, please, tell me how you got those bruises, Kagome.”

Kagome pulled away and drew her knees to her chest, wrapping her arms around them. Thunder rumbled closer and wind rustled the tent. She whispered, “Please, don't worry about them. Inuyasha didn't hurt me.”

“Kagome, I'm just worried about the two of you. Back at that inn, something happened to Inuyasha. You're certain he didn't hurt you.” Sango frowned as her friend moved further away.

“That wasn't my Inuyasha.” Kagome's voice sounded cold. “My hanyou would never hurt me.”

Sango scooted closer. “Just what happened, Kagome-chan? What did those Grolims do to you and Inuyasha? Those bruises, that's when you got them. Somehow Inuyasha hurt you, am I right?”

A loud crack of thunder rattled the tent and a brilliant flash could be seen through the lifted flap. Kagome turned towards her, anger making her eyes turn gold. She hissed, “That was not Inuyasha at that inn. He would never hurt me. How dare you accuse Inuyasha of hurting me. He's my mate and he would never do that. Not my hanyou.”

“Kagome, you're scaring me.”

She stretched out, clenching her hands into fists at her sides. She glared towards the tent flap. “I don't want to talk about it.”

Sango asked, “Are you sure everything's alright?” She placed a gentle hand onto Kagome's shoulders. “Come on, talk to me, Kagome-chan. What did they do to Inuyasha? What made Inuyasha cry like that?”

Kagome's shoulders became tense and she shook off Sango's hand. She shouted, “I said I don't want to talk about it, okay? Just drop it, Sango!” She turned her back to Sango and whispered, “It's between Inuyasha and me, so please, just leave it alone.”

Sango reached a hand out before letting it fall back to her side. She whispered, “Kagome---”

She shouted, “No! It's between my mate and me. No one else. Just drop it already!” Kagome shrank away, pulling her knees to her chest. She buried her face into her arms that were wrapped around her legs and her shoulders shook as she started to cry. She muttered, “Please, just leave me alone.”

Sango stretched out her hand towards Kagome, tentatively resting it on her shoulder, squeezing it. “You can talk to me, you know that. Right, Kagome?

Kagome turned, throwing her arms around Sango. She sobbed into the demon slayer's shoulder. “I was so scared for Inuyasha. I thought I might lose him.”

The slayer rubbed the younger girl's back as Kagome wept. “Kagome, it's alright.”

Kagome burrowed her face into Sango's shoulder and sobbed brokenly. Kagome whispered, “No, it's not. I can't lose Inuyasha. I can't. They twisted his own mind against him. Why? Why did they do such a horrible thing?”

Sango ran her hand through Kagome's hair. “I don't know why, Kagome-chan. I wish I did.”

Kagome's breath hitched in her throat as she spoke. “I can't stand what they did to my dog boy. You didn't see the self-hatred in his eyes. You didn't see the despair. They broke him and I don't know if I can fix him again. He feels so much guilt and I can't get him to understand that it wasn't him. Inuyasha wasn't the one who hurt me.” She wept, her shoulders shaking with the force. “I can't lose him. I won't let him go.”

Sango rocked her, letting the storm in Kagome expel itself as the one outside began to rage. Another loud crack of thunder rattled the clearing and Sango resisted the urge to jump. She let Kagome settle against her. “Kagome, it'll be alright.”

“I was so scared for him. Inuyasha wasn't himself and they made him say such horrible things. I couldn't get through to him and I couldn't stop him. My dog boy would never hurt me and yet I couldn't get through to him.” Kagome nuzzled her nose into Sango's shoulder. “My heart broke when I heard my hanyou beg for death. He pleaded with Sesshomaru to kill him. He doesn't even think he deserves to live. I can't lose Inuyasha, Sango. I can't. How do I fix something like this? It's not like a gaping hole in his gut. He won't just heal.”

Sango's eyes went wide. Inuyasha had begged Sesshomaru to kill him and the Demon Lord hadn't followed through? She rubbed Kagome's back, trying to soothe her. “Kagome---”

“Every time I look into his eyes lately, he's so guilty. He's drowning, Sango. I can see it in those beautiful golden eyes of his. My Inuyasha is dying inside and I can't do anything about it.” Kagome wept bitterly, hiding her face further into Sango's shoulder. “I'm so afraid to ask him anything about it, to talk to him about it, because he's already in so much pain. What if this destroys him?”

“Kagome-chan, I think maybe you need to talk to Inuyasha about this. Tell him how you feel.” Sango threaded her hand through Kagome's hair. “He won't heal unless you help him.”

“But how? He'll think I'm rejecting him. He'll think that I don't want to be his mate anymore. I can't let him ever think that. I love him too much to let him go. He's my dog boy, my hanyou. What if Inuyasha thinks that I don't love him?” Kagome sighed as she fought back sobs.

“You're going to have to talk to him about it sometime, Kagome.” Sango rocked her. “I know you're scared you'll hurt him but what if not working through it hurts Inuyasha more? He should know how you feel.”

Kagome wrapped her arms around Sango tighter. “I just don't know where to begin. I look into those beautiful eyes of his and I see such awful pain. I'm afraid if I ask to talk about it that he'll break. I don't want him to leave me behind.” Silence settled over them and Kagome sobbed softly. She asked, “What do I do, Sango? I'm watching the man I love die before my eyes. What if I can't stop it? What do I do to help him?”

Sango bit her lip, rubbing her hand up and down the younger girl's back. Violent sobs shook Kagome's body as the slayer held her close. Unsure of how to comfort her friend, Sango said, “You love Inuyasha, that's all that matters. It'll be alright. You'll see.” She rocked Kagome as a tear coursed down her own cheek. “You just have to keep letting him know that you love him.”

“What if it's not enough? What if he continues to slip away from me? How do I reassure my dog boy that everything will be alright?” Kagome shifted, resting her head onto Sango's shoulder. She took a few deep breaths before breaking down again.

Sango ran her hand through Kagome's hair. “You just have to tell him how you feel; you have to keep letting him know that you don't blame him for what happened. Talk to Inuyasha, Kagome.” She felt tears streak down her own cheeks. Sango whispered, “I'm sure you'll find a way, Kagome. I know you can.”

Kagome shuddered against Sango, soft sobs escaping her throat. She hugged the demon slayer, burrowing closer. Sango could feel Kagome's tears soak the shoulder of her dress and she rocked the younger girl in an attempt to soothe her. As time passed, Kagome settled against Sango, soft breaths indicating that she had exhausted herself. A loud crack of thunder followed by the patter of rain against the tent ushered in the storm. Lightning flashes could be seen through the tent. Thunder punctuated each flash, booming around them. Wind battered the tent, causing the fabric to strain against the stakes. Kagome squealed, clutching Sango around the neck. The slayer grunted as Kagome squeezed tightly. She let go, giggling. Kagome wiped tears from her eyes. “I'm sorry, Sango-chan. I didn't mean to choke you like that.”

Sango laughed softly and shook her head. “It's okay, Kagome.” Another crash of thunder made Sango squeeze her eyes shut. She opened one, noticing Kagome's small smile.

Kagome sighed. “I was hoping Inuyasha would make it back before the storm.” She looked down, a frown on her face. Kagome shook her head and wiped another tear away. She smiled wanly and asked, “Hey, Sango, shouldn't Miroku and Silk be back soon, too? Looks like they also got caught in the storm.”

Heat flushed Sango's cheeks at the mention of the monk's name. She turned away, glaring into a corner of the tent. Sango said, “Did the monk say they'd be back before sundown? I wasn't listening.”

Kagome laughed softly. “I believe it was Silk that said they'd be back by then, actually.”

Sango snorted and felt her cheeks flush. She remembered the way Miroku's mouth had felt on hers. She still couldn't explain why she had allowed the monk to get away with it. Yet, it had felt good to have his tongue dueling with hers. She'd never admit that to him, of course. His soft attentions had startled her. She had expected the lecherous monk to use her surprise to his advantage in his endless quest to grasp her rear.

“Earth to Sango!” Kagome waved her hand in front of the demon slayer's face. “Everything alright?”

Sango jumped and smiled weakly. “Yeah. Everything's fine.”

The tent flap opened and Shippo shot inside, his tail bristled and his green eyes wide. The young boy ran to Kagome, leaping into her arms. “Kagome!” He buried his face into her shoulder, panting from his sprint.

Kagome pulled him from her shoulder. “Shippo, you're wet!”

Shippo squirmed before easing out of her grip. He shook himself, spraying water over the two women in the tent. They both flinched before glaring at him. He hugged Kagome again, hiding from another loud crash outside. “It's scary out there.”

“It's only a storm, silly. It won't hurt you if you stay in the tent, okay?” Kagome laughed at the fox child as he cowered against her. “It'll be just fine, I promise.” She sighed, hugging Shippo closer to her body. “Don't you worry about a thing, Shippo. Sango and I will make sure nothing hurts you.” She nuzzled her nose on Shippo's, causing him to pull away and blush.

“Feh. I'm here to keep you safe, Kagome.” Shippo puffed out his chest, crossing his arms. “I'm the demon in the tent, after all.”

Kagome laughed, hugging him. “Oh Shippo, what will I do with you? Do you know how much I love you, my silly, little boy?”

Shippo squirmed and blushed. “Kagome!”

Kagome let him go and cupped his chin in her hands. “You really have been around Inuyasha too much lately.” She sighed as the rain drummed harder on the tent. “That storm sounds really bad.” She stood. “I'm going to go get Rin. She shouldn't be alone in that tent.” Kagome held her cloak over her head as a shield and fled the tent, leaving Sango to sit alone with Shippo.

His brow furrowed and he asked, “Sango, why would Kagome need to go get Rin? Wouldn't Sesshomaru be with her already?” Shippo blinked as another flash peeked through the flap.

Sango shrugged. “Apparently not.”

The flap opened and Polgara, Poledra, and Ce'Nedra entered, sitting down. Polgara pulled her hood down, revealing her dark hair. She smiled in Sango's direction. “Well, that's a nasty storm isn't it, dear?” She made a small hole in the ground and placed some dry tinder into it before seeming to light them on fire with her fingers. “How about some tea to warm us up?”

Ce'Nedra rubbed her arms and shivered; her dress was soaked and water trickled down her face from her red hair. Ce'Nedra's teeth chattered and she nodded vigorously before stuttering, “Please, tea sounds nice.”

Poledra pulled a blanket from a pack inside the tent. She handed it to the little queen. “Here, dear, dry off. One doesn't want you to get sick.”

Ce'Nedra accepted it gratefully and wrapped the brown fabric around her shoulders, snuggling into it. As she glanced around, she asked, “Where did Kagome go? Wasn't she just in here?”

Shippo nodded. “Kagome was here. She just left.” He moved closer to the small fire, warming his hands. “She went to go get Rin.”

Polgara's eyebrow arched. “I see.” She set a pot onto the fire, preparing water for the tea. “And what about Inuyasha? Just where did he run off to? Last I saw he was with Kagome.”

Sango shrunk herself into the corner further. She said, “Kagome told me he went to find Sesshomaru.” She leaned her head against the tent cloth.

Poledra's eyebrow raised as she accepted a cup of tea from her daughter. Her gold eyes reflected the fire and snapped with amusement. Her tawny-hair flowed freely about her face. A sly smile crossed her lips and she said, “One wonders where Sesshomaru might be. Certainly he's returned to camp by now.”

“Do you think Miroku and Silk will make it back soon?” Ce'Nedra sipped from her tea cup. “They've been gone an awfully long time.”

Polgara poured herself a cup of tea. “Well, Rakand can be dangerous, Ce'Nedra. It is a city with demon worship, after all. I wouldn't worry too much, though. I'm sure Silk will keep them out of too much trouble. Maybe they're sitting out the storm somewhere.”

Sango wrapped her arms back around her knees. She shook her head at the offer of tea. As more thunder crashed outside, she felt Shippo shrink himself against her body and she put her hand onto his back. Sango glared into the corner. She muttered, “Yeah, knowing that lecher, I'm sure he found some unfortunate woman to swindle with a fake exorcism.”

The tent flap rustled and Rin entered, Kagome guiding her with a hand on her back. She rubbed a tired eye and yawned before sitting down in the opposite corner from Sango. Kagome smiled in Sango's direction before sitting down with Rin, pulling her close. She accepted a blanket, draping it over the two of them and Rin snuggled on Kagome's chest, watching the tent with bleary eyes. At each crack of thunder, Rin buried her face into Kagome's shoulder, flinching. Kagome rocked her, rubbing her back.

Shippo looked up at Sango, his green eyes concerned. He asked, “Sango, is Rin alright?”

Sango frowned. She shook her head. “I don't know, Shippo.”

Shippo's tail bobbed behind him as he glared at the ground. His brows knit together and he frowned. The young fox crossed the tent, joining the girls. He put one tiny hand on Rin's shoulder, gently squeezing it. Kagome smiled at him and lifted her arm, allowing Shippo to snuggle with them. He burrowed against Kagome, peeking from underneath the blankets.

Sango leaned her head back, closing her eyes. She focused on the sound of rain rapping on the tent fabric and yawned, feeling drowsy. Idle chatter filled the tent and the slayer tuned out the conversation.

“Would you like a blanket?”

Sango opened her eyes, glancing in the direction of the voice. The little redheaded queen held out a blanket towards her. Sango reached up, pulling it over her knees. She said, “Thank-you.”

Ce'Nedra smiled, moving to sit next to her. She drew her own blanket around her shoulders, cocooning herself into it. She shivered. “I'd hate to be trapped out there, that's for sure.”

Sango nodded in agreement, pulling her blanket to wrap around her legs.

Ce'Nedra asked, “Sango, can I ask you something? Does Miroku ask every woman he meets to bear his children? It seems to be his standard introduction, I've noticed.” She smiled slyly.

Sango blushed, looking away. She scowled. “What else would you expect from a pervert like him? I bet that's why it's taking them so long to return. He's probably asking every woman in the city that ridiculous question.”

Ce'Nedra giggled. She leaned closer and whispered, “ Do I detect a hint of jealousy, Sango?”

Sango gasped and shook her head. “No! Not at all! Why would I be jealous?”

“Oh come on. So you didn't go for a walk with him last night?”

Sango hugged her knees to her chest. She blushed and looked away. “I don't know what you're talking about.”

Polgara handed the queen another cup of tea. A disapproving frown crossed her face. “Ce'Nedra, dear, don't be nosy.”

Ce'Nedra stuck her bottom lip out. “But Aunt Pol---”

“Don't pester Sango.”

Sango tugged the blanket up around her knees. She sighed, folding herself further into the corner and muttered under her breath, “As if I care what that monk does.”

Ce'Nedra glanced towards her before leaning in. She kept one eye on Polgara's turned back. “So, did anything happen on your walk?”

Sango turned quickly, her mouth open. She blushed a shade darker. “Nothing happened. Honestly.”

From the corner of her eye, Sango caught Kagome's sly smile. Shippo rested his head on one shoulder, his arms wrapped around her. Rin rested her head on the other, her eyes fixated on the fire. Kagome shook her head and settled back against the tent fabric, her eyes falling closed.

Sango jumped when Ce'Nedra said, “So you did go for a walk, after all. And you're sure nothing happened? At all?”

Sango bit her lip. She remembered how Miroku's tongue felt on her throat. He had gently sucked on her pulse and his hands had moved across her body, all but her bottom. When he had kissed her, Miroku's tongue had battled hers for dominance. As the demon slayer looked into the tiny redhead's amused green eyes, Sango shook her head vigorously. “No. Nothing happened.” She crossed her arms, snorting. “As if I'd let that lecher get away with anything like that.”

Ce'Nedra giggled. She held a hand to her lips, attempting to be discrete about her amusement. “If you say so.” She winked before whispering close to the slayer's ear, “So, is he a good kisser?”

Sango felt more heat rush into her cheeks. She stuttered, “How should I know?”

Ce'Nedra slipped a red lock of hair between her teeth. She sucked on it. “You know, Miroku is cute, for a monk that is.”

“Yeah, if you like someone groping you nonstop.” Sango blew hair out of her eyes.

Ce'Nedra laughed. She chewed on the lock of hair and smiled slyly. “Have you ever turned that around on him? What would Miroku do if you tried to do the same thing to him?” She waggled her eyebrows at Sango. “I bet that it'd be a lot of fun to see the look on his face.”

Sango gasped. More color rushed into her face. “No! Why would I ever act like that hentai?”

“Oh come on. I've seen him be quite charming.” She sucked on her hair, twirling it around a finger. “I think he likes you.”

The patter of rain ceased and the sound of galloping horses replaced it. They slowed to a stop and the sound of boots splashing in the mud followed. The women inside the tent stopped, glancing towards the flap.

“Belgarath, we're back!” The spy shouted.

Ce'Nedra smiled at Sango. She tugged on the demon slayer's hand, pulling her out of the tent. Sango protested, “Let go!” She pulled her hand from the tiny queen's grip.

Sango gasped when she saw Miroku as he stood by his horse, almost unrecognizable. His face was caked in dirt and his clothing was also coated in a thick layer of mud. A large smile broke over his face and Sango knew he had spotted her. He crossed towards her. “How nice of you, my dear Sango, to welcome me back with your beauty.”

Sango pulled back, a hand covering her nose. She said, “Monk, don't you dare come any closer. You reek! What did you do!”

The old sorcerer stepped out of another tent and said, “You're late, Silk. You should have been here at nightfall.”

“We had a delay. It happens to the best of us.” The spy itched his scalp. He pointed towards Miroku. “This one spent most of his time being adored by his new found love. I had to practically drag him away.”

Miroku began to protest, but Sango's palm connected with the back of his head. He winced and said, “Sango! It's not what you think!”

Belgarath rolled his eyes. “Just tell me what is going on in Karanda, Silk. Don't be irritating. Did you find anything out about Naraku while you were there?”

“Ah, yes, Naraku.” Silk nodded. He tugged on his large nose. “It seems our red-eyed friend has decided that he should be worshiped alongside Torak. Seems the Grolims there have given in. That hideous mask on the door to the temple certainly gave me that impression.”

Miroku cleared his throat. “The locals said something about Naraku liberating them from Malloreon control. He has an army ready to wipe out Mal Yaska and then he plans on marching on Mal Zeth.” He scratched his chest with a filthy hand.

Belgarath cursed in several languages. He said, “So, he's been two-facing Urvon this whole time. He has Urvon believing that he's on his side while he quietly makes plans to annihilate him. What is Naraku after?”

Silk shrugged. “Who knows. Maybe he wants to set up his own faith. If he's told everyone he's here to be the new Dark God, maybe he actually believes it. It wouldn't be the first time some nut case ran things in Cthol Mishrak. The Grolims probably are willing to back him because he lets them keep their power and altars running with blood.”

“That'd make sense, I suppose.” Belgarath paced, his hands behind his back. He sighed. “Well, all we can really do is keep making our way to Ashaba. I just hope Naraku doesn't make his military moves until we can be ready. Last thing I need is Zakath losing his empire.”

Silk nodded. He said, “Other than that, there isn't much to report. The monk found someone that I'm sure would have been willing to bear those children, though.” A smirk crossed his dirty face and his nose twitched.

Sango crossed her arms. She snorted as she glared in the direction of Miroku. “Let me guess, you asked every woman you could find, monk.”

Miroku threw his hands up in the air. He said, “It's not like that! I didn't----” He yelped as Silk stepped on his foot.

Silk laughed. “She certainly found the prospect most intriguing. We would have arrived back much sooner if this one hadn't strung her along.”

Ce'Nedra crossed her arms next to Sango. She said, “Seems you were right all along, Sango. He is a lecher.”

Sango scowled. She smacked Miroku in the back of the head again. “Womanizing lecher to be precise.”

Miroku rubbed the back of his head. He sputtered, “But my dear Sango, it's not what you think! Honestly---” He didn't finish his thought as the spy jabbed his elbow into his side.

“Oh, she was beautiful, as Karands go, I suppose. Her skin was a beautiful cream, pink on the cheeks. She had lovely brown eyes and they were certainly focused on my spiritual friend, here.” He smiled slyly, his dark eyes snapping with glee. “I haven't seen such devotion develop so quickly. I found it to be most endearing.”

Sango's frown increased. She glared at the monk. “Typical. He finds some young girl and asks her if she'll bear his children and when she happens to say yes he doesn't follow through.”

Silk howled in laughter, clutching his stomach. He said something between gasps that Sango couldn't quite understand. He slapped his knee before pointing at Miroku only to have another fit of laughter overtake him. The thief shook his head as he laughed, muttering more unintelligible remarks.

Ce'Nedra said, “I don't see what could possibly be so funny about this situation.”

Miroku sighed, his shoulders slumped. “It's not like that! There was a pig---”

Ce'Nedra stomped on the monk's foot this time. “The only pig I see is the one in front of me.” She glared at him.

Sango nodded. “I agree. The only pig here is that damn lecher.” She smacked him in the head again. “What is the matter with you?”

Miroku clutched his head in his hands. He said, “I didn't do anything! Honestly!”

Silk hooted, laughing wildly. He slipped on the mud, rolling onto his side as he continued to laugh. He said, “She was absolutely beautiful! It was a shame to see him turn her down flat like that.”

“Pig!” Ce'Nedra clenched her hands to her sides. She scowled at him, her green eyes like agates. “How could you do something like that!”

Miroku glared at the spy. He said, “It's not like that! Let me explain! It's all a big misunderstanding!”

“Misunderstanding, right. As if I haven't seen you ask several women that ridiculous question in the past. So, how old was she this time?” Sango crossed her arms, glaring at him. “What naïve woman bought into your scheme?”

“Answer the question, pig!” Ce'Nedra screeched at him.

Silk slammed his fist into the mud. He howled as he rolled from side to side, giggling. “Pig!” He squealed, laughing harder.

Miroku's shoulders slumped further. He sighed. “It's all a misunderstanding. There was no woman, honestly.”

“Right. Tell me why I should believe you after all these times, monk.” Sango tapped her foot, scowling. “It's not like you don't have a track record of asking every woman you come across.”

“I'm trying to explain!” Miroku held his hands up in defeat. “There was no woman!”

Ce'Nedra snorted and crossed her arms. “Well, if it's such a big misunderstanding, why don't you explain it to us, then? What happened between you and this woman?”

Miroku sighed. “There was no woman.”

Silk howled again before gasping. He said between breaths, “It was a pig!”

Sango's eyes narrowed. She said, “A pig? You've sunk to a new low, monk.”

Miroku placed his hand over his eyes. He sighed. “No! It's not like that. This pig decided to follow me around. Honestly. I didn't do anything to attract her! Why must you always think the worst of me, Sango?”

Silk beat his fist into the ground, laughing. He said, “You should have seen the love in those eyes! I don't know how he found the strength to resist!” He rolled onto his side, howling in glee.

“It's not that funny!” Miroku glared at the spy. “It's not like I asked her to follow me!” He sighed, his shoulders slumping.

Sango and Ce'Nedra exchanged glances. A smile crossed the queen's face and both women burst into giggles. Ce'Nedra said, “A pig!”

Polgara emerged from the tent, an eyebrow arched. She said, “Well, I see you've returned.” Her nose wrinkled. “Bathe, immediately. You two reek. I am not spending the rest of the night in this camp with the two of you the way you are.” She placed one hand to her hip, glaring at the two, mud coated men.”Father, are we leaving in the morning, then? Mother would like to know.”

Belgarath sighed and rubbed his short beard. “I don't see any other reason to stay here longer than perhaps mid morning. Ashaba is still far away and we do have an appointment there. We'll rest here through breakfast, I suppose and then make our way towards Mal Rakuth.” The old sorcerer shook his head. “Silk, now that you've had your fun, can you tell me anything else about what we might expect on the roads?”

Silk caught his breath. He rubbed a finger at the corner of his eye. He chuckled a moment and then sighed. The thief said, “They didn't say anything about the roads, but the locals we talked to mentioned that Naraku had Nahaz on his side. We ran pretty quickly when we saw the magician of the city arrive. He made an attempt at raising a demon. Last I heard he wasn't all that successful and I think we missed out on a riot.”

The old man nodded. “Alright. Seems most of the trouble is still centered roughly in Karanda and not the rest of Ancient Mallorea. Well, except Cthol Mishrak, that is.” He rubbed his bearded cheek. “Anything else?”

“Not really.” Silk said. He itched his scalp. “I think all we'd like to do is to please your daughter, Belgarath. I can't stand being dirty any longer. How about you, monk?”

Miroku nodded. He frowned as he glanced down at his sullied clothes. As he looked up, he smiled at Sango. “Certainly. I thought you'd never ask.”

Ce'Nedra nudged Sango in the side. She titled her head towards Miroku. The queen winked and whispered, “It's a good thing he cleans up nicely.”

Sango snorted. “He's filthy.”

“So? I think he's still cute, even if he is dirty.” She waggled her eyebrows.

“Ce'Nedra, dear, why don't you come help me.” Polgara said. She turned stern gray eyes on the queen. “You've pestered Sango quite enough for one night.”

Ce'Nedra stuck her bottom lip out in a pout. She silently joined the sorceress, however, following her towards the tree line. “Yes, Aunt Pol.”

Sango glanced at Miroku from the corner of her eye. His brown outfit had black mud smeared across the front and tufts of fur clung to the rope around his waist. His hair plastered to his skull, more clumps of mud clinging to strands. His pale face looked almost black. She wrinkled her nose at his putrid odor, a mixture of rancid animal fur and sweat. Sango snorted before hiding a small laugh behind her hand. The little queen was right; he was cute even though he was absolutely filthy.

Silk said, “Well, I'll see you at the bath, then, monk.” He turned his back, taking the same direction as Polgara and Ce'Nedra.

Miroku nodded. “Alright. I'll be there in a moment.”

Sango mumbled, “I think I'll go see if Kagome needs anything.” She moved to enter the tent when she felt a hand on hers. Glancing up, Sango's eyes connected with Miroku's brown. She blushed and looked away. “Don't you have a bath to take, monk?” She shook his hand off.

He shook his head. “I hope you can forgive me, my dear Sango.” Miroku smirked at her.

Sango's eyes narrowed as she glared at him. “For what? What did you do this time. What didn't you tell me about your visit in the city?”

Miroku sighed. He held his hands up. “I am sorry that I let a pig come between the love that we share.” He winked.

Sango rolled her eyes. “What love? We don't share anything, monk. What is the matter with you?” She crossed her arms and wrinkled her nose. “Go. You reek. You'll miss your bath if you stay too much longer.”

Miroku stepped closer, grasping one of her hands with a dirty one. He gently squeezed it. “Now now, what was last night all about? I seem to remember sharing something with you, my lovely Sango.” He smiled wide.

Sango wrenched her hand back out of his grip. She glared at him, scowling. “That, monk, won't happen again so don't think you have a free pass at---”

Miroku placed a finger to her lips before leaning in. He kissed her on the cheek. As he pulled away, he smudged his thumb across it. “Now look what I've done. I've dirtied your face. I apologize.”

Sango blushed, holding a hand to the cheek he had kissed. She bit her lip. “I don't know what you're up to now, monk.”

Miroku grinned. He turned his back to her, heading in the direction of the bath. “I'm not up to anything, Sango. Why must I always be up to something? You always assume the worst of me.” He glanced at her over his shoulder and winked. “Now, I believe you said that I smell.” He disappeared, leaving Sango to stand alone.

Sango stared after him, her hands clenched at her sides. “You, you, get back here!” She stomped her foot in frustration. “That man, just who does he think he is?”