Crossover Fan Fiction / InuYasha Fan Fiction ❯ The Journey to the City of Endless Night ❯ Chapter Fifty-Three ( Chapter 53 )

[ X - Adult: No readers under 18. Contains Graphic Adult Themes/Extreme violence. ]

Chapter Fifty-Three

Inuyasha lounged on the large bed as he watched Kagome unpack her bag in their room. She set the cooking pot onto the small bureau before bending over to take out her school books. Inuyasha traced the shape of her bottom with his eyes, appreciating its roundness. The gray fabric of her dress hugged her hips as she stood back up. Kagome's hips swayed as she crossed the room, her books clutched to her chest. She set them down before returning to her bag. As Kagome struggled with it, she said, “You could help me out here, you know, instead of just staring at my butt.”

Inuyasha jumped. He lifted his eyes from Kagome's hips to her face and winced at the irritated scowl crossing her lips. He blinked, shaking his head. “What? Did you say something, Kagome?”

Kagome placed her hands onto her hips, glaring at him. She hissed, “Inuyasha, don't play dumb. I know you can hear. Will you please come here and help me? I can't find something.”

Inuyasha's ears drooped as he blushed. The hanyou crossed the room and bent down to pick up her bag. He set it down onto the small bureau, taking out the first-aid kit. “What are you looking for anyways, wench?”

She dug around in her backpack.“My scarf. I wanted to wear it in my hair to dinner tonight.” Kagome sighed. “I hope I didn't lose it.”

Inuyasha moved behind her, wrapping his arms around her waist. He pushed her dark hair away from her neck, placing light kisses to the skin there. His tongue slowly dragged over his mark and he felt her shudder against him. He burrowed his nose into her hair a moment, then let go to dig through her bag. When he found the scarf, he said, “Here, Kagome.”

Kagome looked down, a blush on her cheeks. She took it from his hands, sliding it around her wealth of hair before tying the lemon colored fabric into a bow. “How does it look, Inuyasha?”

“Feh.” Inuyasha noticed how it pulled her hair away from his mark. He leaned closer, tracing a clawed finger over it and kissed it. “It looks fine. Don't worry about it so much.”

Kagome's lips formed into a pout and she crossed her arms. “You don't like it, do you?”

“Oi. I never said I didn't like it. Just don't get all worked up about it.” Inuyasha kissed her. “Don't be fussy.”

“I'm not fussy!” She narrowed her eyes at him. “Why don't you just admit it, Inuyasha? You just don't like this scarf.”

“I never said that I didn't like it. It looks nice.” Inuyasha pulled Kagome into a hug, inhaling her scent. He whispered into her ear, “What's the matter, Kagome?”

Kagome wrapped her arms around him, sighing. She rested her head onto his shoulder and said, “It's nothing. Don't worry about it. I'm sorry I snapped at you like that. It wasn't fair.”

Inuyasha tilted her head up to look into her gold-flecked eyes. The weariness and sadness swirling in them concerned him. He brushed his fingers over his mark before resting his palm onto her cheek. His ears sagged as he noticed the faded bruises on her throat and Inuyasha leaned down, leaving open mouthed kisses on them. He asked, “Kagome, what's wrong? Don't lie to me.”

Kagome looked away, staring at the floor. “Nothing's wrong, honestly.” She looked up, giving him a weak smile. “I'm just fine.”

“The hell you are. Something's bothering you.” Inuyasha narrowed his eyes. “We won't go downstairs for dinner until you tell me what the hell it is.”

Kagome sighed. “Inuyasha, really, nothing's wrong. Please, don't get upset. I'm fine.” She hugged him, nuzzling her nose under his chin. “It's been a long day, that's all.”

“Are you sure that's all that's bothering you?” Inuyasha pulled her closer, running his hand through her hair. He smoothed the soft silk scarf over it. “Come on, Kagome. Just tell me.”

“I'm just tired, that's all.” Kagome wrapped her arms around him tighter. “All I really want to do is relax.”

“Feh. What's stopping you? Who says we have to go downstairs for dinner?” Inuyasha nuzzled his nose into her hair.

“You know that we have to go downstairs. They'll talk about what's going on in the city and anyways they might say something new about Naraku.” Kagome pressed herself closer to him. “Besides, I'm hungry.” She lifted her head, looking up at him. A soft smile played across her lips. “I also know we can't live on ramen alone, no matter what you'd like to think, my hanyou.”

Inuyasha snorted. “That's what you think, wench.” He leaned in and kissed her, his tongue dueling with hers. Inuyasha relished in the feel of her soft body pressed against his as he pushed his tongue further into her mouth. He broke the kiss off and pulled Kagome closer, sighing. His stomach growled and Kagome laughed. Inuyasha whispered into her ear, “I hate it when you're right, you know.”

Kagome laughed. “Come on, you. I can tell that you're hungry and you do only have a few packs of ramen left. I can't get you more when they're gone, you know.” Her head rested onto his shoulder and she sighed in contentment.

Inuyasha pulled away from Kagome, grasping her hand in his. “Alright, wench. We'll go. You've convinced me.” He led her out into the hallway and glanced into the dimness. Inuyasha kept a firm grip on his mate's hand. He could smell roasting meat and baking bread. He sniffed, inhaling deeply as his stomach rumbled again.

“Wait! Inuyasha! Slow down. They're not going to run out of food that quickly.” Kagome tugged on his hand, begging him to slow down. “What's the rush?”

Inuyasha stopped, looking over his shoulder at Kagome. “Feh, I'm hungry and I don't want to wait.”

Kagome's eyebrow arched. She crossed her arms and glared at him. “What are you up to, mister?”

Inuyasha's ears folded over. “Oi. What makes you think I'm up to something, wench. Can't I just be hungry?”

Kagome shook her head. She sighed. “If you say so.” She took his hand back into hers and smiled. “Well, Mister I'm In a Hurry, are we going to go or what? Don't just stand there.”

Inuyasha snorted. “Make up your mind, wench. Hurry up, slow down. What do you want?”

Kagome laughed. “There's that cranky hanyou I love.” She leaned her head onto his shoulder. “Come on, let's go.”

Inuyasha stared, his mouth open, as she tugged him down the hall. He shook his head and narrowed his eyes. “Hey! You were making fun of me, weren't you?”

Kagome glanced over her shoulder at him. “Don't be silly. I wouldn't do that to you.”

They entered the large hall and Inuyasha instinctively pulled Kagome close. A strange man wearing an odd fur cap sat on one of the benches, a tankard in one hand. He wore a stained leather tunic and pants The man squinted his eyes, peering at them. Inuyasha noticed they were angular not unlike his own. The man hiccuped and slurred, “Well hello there. I thought I was going to have to drink alone.” He swigged from his tankard and wiped his mouth with a dirty hand before smoothing down his scraggly dark beard. “Don't just stand there, take a seat.”

Inuyasha held Kagome protectively as he took a seat at the table. He kept one wary eye on this new stranger and the other on the door, waiting for a familiar face. He glared towards the new man, his ears pinned back underneath his hood. “Feh.”

“Inuyasha,” Kagome hissed, jabbing an elbow into his ribs. She smiled at the drunk man. “Hello, my name is Kagome and this is Inuyasha.”

“Yarblek.” He hiccuped. “Where you two from?” The hanyou picked up a glint in the man's dark eyes. Yarblek was a lot less drunk than he appeared. “You'll have to forgive me if I don't remember your names. I'm a little drunk, you see.”

A woman in a red dressing gown of heavy velvet entered the hall. Her hair was so black that it appeared to have a blue sheen. Around her throat was a leather collar. She wore a belt with two jeweled dagger hilts protruding from it. Two more peeked from the tops of her boots. A disdainful sneer crossed her face and her dark eyes snapped with contempt. She crossed her arms. “Figures, Yarblek, that you'd be down here already.”

“Vella.” Yarblek winced. His fur cap fell down over his eyes. “Don't be so loud. It makes my head hurt and it lowers your price.”

“Like any Malloreon drunken sot could afford me.” Vella thrust her chin out in defiance. “Don't make me laugh.” She sat down a bit away from Yarblek. “You already reek. If anyone lowers my price it's you.” She patted the daggers at her waist. “Just don't forget, you lose control of your hands, I'll help you remember.”

Inuyasha frowned. He pulled Kagome closer, his arms securing her to his chest. He growled low in his throat. From the conversation between the two strangers it seemed that Yarblek owned Vella. He didn't want Kagome to have anything to do with this couple. He whispered, “Don't talk to them, Kagome. I don't trust them.”

Kagome looked up towards him. She nodded, turning her eyes down towards the floor and she whispered, “Alright. If you don't trust them, I won't.” She glanced over towards the pair. “What do you think they meant about her price?”

Inuyasha narrowed his eyes. He flattened his ears to his skull. “It doesn't matter what they're talking about. I don't like them. Don't worry about them, alright? They don't have any information we want to know about.”

Yarblek belched. He looked over towards the two of them. “That's a nice woman you've got there.”

“You're an idiot, Yarblek. You can't afford two women.” Vella glared at him. “Besides, I think she's way out of your price range. Look at her.” The woman ran her hands through the dark mass of her hair, pushing it away from her face. “And anyways, I doubt she can dance as well as me.”

Inuyasha pulled Kagome closer to him, growling. The idea that he owned Kagome or would think of selling her in this manner disgusted him. He glared at the two of them. Inuyasha said, “For your information, she's not for sale. She's not property.” Inuyasha placed a hand to Tetsusaiga's hilt. “She's not some piece of meat. She's my mate.”

Yarblek held his hands up in defeat. “Alright, alright. No need to fight about it. I didn't know.”

Kagome placed a hand over Inuyasha's. She whispered, “Please, don't. It's alright.”

Inuyasha growled, baring his fangs. He removed his hand from Tetsusaiga. “Feh.” He turned his back on the pair. Inuyasha shoved the tankard placed in front of him away, not wishing to experience drunkenness again.

Kagome turned with him, leaning her head onto his shoulder. “Inuyasha?”

Inuyasha placed a hand over hers. He glanced over his shoulder at the strange man and woman before looking into Kagome's eyes. The same sorrow from earlier had returned and his ears lowered. He looked down. “I don't like them.”

“I understand.” Kagome smiled softly. “How about this, as soon as dinner is served and we're finished eating we go back upstairs? We can always ask Sesshomaru what they talked about. That sound alright?”

Inuyasha pursed his lips in thought. “Alright.” He leaned over, kissing her cheek. “You know I don't think of you as property, right?”

Kagome nodded and smiled wide. “Yes. I know.” She squeezed his hand. “And you know I'm here with you because I want to be, right?”

Inuyasha smiled weakly. “Yeah. I know.”

“There's that mangy Drasnian thief! Silk! You little cheat,” Yarblek roared from his seat. He swayed and hiccuped. “I thought maybe I'd have to find a new business partner.”

“No, no. It takes a lot to kill me, Yarblek.” The thief grinned wide. “So, how's business been, now that you brought it up?”

“Good.” He patted the bench. “Come, let's talk of business tomorrow. Tonight we drink.”

“It would seem you've beaten me to the barrel, my friend,” Silk replied. The little spy held hands with a small, blonde woman. “Besides, I think my wife would object to smelling ale on my breath.”

“Suit yourself.” Yarblek accepted another tankard.

“Wise decision,” the blonde woman said.

Miroku stood in the doorway behind them, a wide smile on his face. He began to cross towards the table and asked, “Well, who is this beauty?”

Inuyasha snorted. He whispered into Kagome's ear, “There goes the lecher again. I think he'll get more than slapped this time, don't you?”

Kagome glanced in the monk's direction. She sighed. “When will he learn? He deserves everything he gets when he behaves like that.”

Silk grabbed the monk's wrist. “Oh no, my spiritual friend. I like you too much to see Vella's daggers cut you up.”

Vella sneered at him. “You look too poor to afford me, anyways. Don't flatter yourself.”

“You really should be more careful, monk.” The blonde woman sat down by Vella. “He's quite harmless, you know, Vella.”

Vella snorted. “No man's harmless, Velvet. If they were I wouldn't need these.” She patted the tops of her dagger hilts. “Men have no respect for a woman's virtue these days. Take him for example.” She slid a dagger out of her belt, leveling it at Yarblek. “I had to cut him five times to get him to back off the other night. You were there.”

Silk whistled. “You've been hitting the ale barrel a little heavy lately, I take it.”

Yarblek winced. He shrugged. “Sometimes she can be very tempting. I'm not dead, after all.”

Inuyasha shook his head when Miroku sat down across from them at the table. “Oi, monk. Why must you always be such a lecher?”

Miroku shrugged. “I can't help myself around a beautiful woman like that.”

Kagome sighed. “Weren't you supposed to help Sango?”

“She told me she'd meet me down here for dinner.” Miroku frowned. “What did that woman mean by price, anyways?”

Inuyasha scowled. He glared at Yarblek. “That man in the fur cap owns her. I don't like it.”

“Owns her?” Miroku frowned. “I don't understand. She doesn't seem to be a slave if that last comment about using those daggers is true.”

“Feh. Whatever.” Inuyasha scowled in their direction.

“Vella,” the sorceress Polgara called from the doorway. “May your knives always be bright and keen.”

Vella stood and curtsied gracefully to Polgara. She returned the formal greeting, completing the ritual, “And may you always have the means at hand to defend your person from unwanted attention.”

Polgara smiled at Velvet. “And Liselle, dear, what a surprise seeing you here. You didn't bring Rhodar with you, did you?”

“Oh no. I left him with Porenn. She insisted. She sends greetings by the way.” Velvet stood, clasping Polgara's hands into her own. “You should see how big Rhodar's getting. He's learning quickly, too.”

“That's nice, dear.” Polgara kissed Velvet's cheeks.

Inuyasha tapped his fingers on the table top. He sighed when his stomach growled again. “Feh. All I care about is when will we eat.”

Kagome sighed. “They seem to be old friends. Be nice, Inuyasha.”

“Whatever.” He twitched his ears.

Inuyasha nodded when he saw Sesshomaru enter with Rin. The little girl held his brother's hand and a strange awe and confusion swirled in the Demon Lord's eyes as he looked at her. Sesshomaru turned towards him, returning the nod. He sat down at the table. “Half-breed.”

“Jackass,” Inuyasha returned.

“Good evening, Rin, Sesshomaru.” Kagome smiled at them.

Rin smiled. “I like your hair, Kagome-sama. It looks pretty like that.”

Kagome gave a sidelong glance towards Inuyasha before smiling wide at the girl. “I'm glad you think so, Rin.”

Inuyasha shook his head. “Hey! I told you I thought it looked nice. What more do you want?” He leaned over closer to Sesshomaru and whispered, “If I were you, I wouldn't let Rin near that man.” He tilted his head towards Yarblek.

“This Sesshomaru would like to know why.”

Vella gasped. “He's beautiful! Look at how his hair shines. And those strange tattoos. Yarblek, you good for nothing drunk, I demand that you sell me to him.”

“Sell? Half-breed, what does that woman mean?” Sesshomaru frowned. He pulled Rin to his side. “I do not like her implications.”

Yarblek peered at Sesshomaru with bleary eyes. “You sure, Vella? Him? What if he can't meet your price?”

“Who cares. Look at him, you idiot.” Vella spat at Yarblek. “After dinner, I'll dance. Maybe it'll help convince him.”

Yarblek shook his head. “As long as it keeps me from getting cut up like the other night.”

“A dance? Sounds intriguing,” Miroku said. He smiled wistfully.”This could be very interesting, don't you think?”

“Shut up, lecher.” Inuyasha glared at him. “You're lucky Sango isn't down here to smack you. That woman isn't dancing for you, anyways, stupid.”

Kagome sighed. “Some things never change.”

“Sesshomaru-sama?” Rin asked. “What does that woman mean? I don't understand.”

“Pay her no heed, Rin,” Sesshomaru replied, his eyes narrowed in Vella's direction. “It does not concern us.”

Kagome sighed. “How about after dinner I take Rin back upstairs?” She squeezed Inuyasha's hand and whispered to him, “I promise to make it up to you later. I know I promised we would go upstairs after supper, but Rin shouldn't see that.”

“Alright.” Inuyasha pinned his ears to his skull. “Speaking of eating, will we ever actually get to do that? I knew we should have stayed upstairs and had ramen, but no. You had to say something about how they'll talk about Naraku. Stupid fuck always gets in the way.”

“Inuyasha, watch your language in front of Rin,” Kagome hissed. “I know you didn't want to come down here. It's just a little while longer, okay?”

“Feh.” Inuyasha crossed his arms and pinned his ears to his head.

Running into the room, Shippo jumped into Kagome's arms. Covering his more exotic features was a small, tan overcoat. “I'm hungry, Kagome. Any idea when we'll eat?”

“I know you are. Not sure. Any minute now, I bet.” Kagome hugged him. She ruffled his hair.

Inuyasha scrunched his nose. He asked, “Where did you get that coat, brat?”

Shippo puffed his chest out. “Kagome asked Lady Polgara to make it for me when she made all those hoods. She just gave it to me. It hides my tail, see?” The fox kit twitched his tail under the coat.

“Feh. Whatever.” Inuyasha wasn't about to admit that the coat wasn't such a bad idea. After all, it would keep people from asking too many questions about the little boy's odd appearance.

“I think it looks good, Shippo.” Kagome hugged him.

The fox kit moved off of Kagome's lap to sit in between Inuyasha and Kagome. The hanyou sighed at the intrusion, but ruffled Shippo's hair. “Oi, runt, don't be so pushy.”

Sango joined them, sitting next to Miroku. She smiled weakly. “Well, we're all settled in. I could use a nice long bath after supper. Want to join me, Kagome-chan?”

“That's a great idea. If you don't mind, Shippo and Rin will come along, though,” Kagome smiled.

“No, no, not at all. Sounds good to me.”

The old sorcerer sat down by his daughter. He said, “Yarblek, mind telling us about what's going on outside of Mallorea?”

Food on large platters brought out by servants were finally set onto the tables. Inuyasha inhaled deeply, relishing in the smell of roasted chicken, beef, and lamb. He piled onto a plate a sampling of each. Rubbing his hands together in anticipation, Inuyasha said, “Finally. I was beginning to wonder if we'd ever eat.”

Yarblek took a bite out of a chicken drumstick. He said around his mouthful, “You'd be best to ask Velvet that question.”

Velvet said, “Well, the Alorn Council met with Porenn leading it. They back Garion as I'm sure you already know. Anheg has made moves to make a truce with Urgit, Nathel, and Drosta. Some resisted, but Porenn managed to explain to the others that demons don't care if we're Alorn or Angarak.”

“Good. At least two Alorns have some common sense.” Belgarath drank from a tankard. “Anything else?”

“No one has had any luck with the Tolnedrans, convincing them that it's really demons. They will pledge legions for Ce'Nedra's sake, however. Nyissa refuses to have anything to do with it. Arendia is behind the Overlord of the West, and before I left we hadn't heard any word from the Gorim,” Velvet reported.

“Alright. Sounds like things are on schedule, then.” Belgarath began to eat his own roasted meat.

“The only problem that no one seems able to answer then would be the Grolims,” Velvet continued. “No matter what truces the Angarak kings make with the West, the Grolims will disagree with it. The Murgo Church despises the demons, but sees no purpose for joining with the West.”

“That's to be expected,” Polgara said. “Torak's Church has already met with schism over what's happening in Cthol Mishrak, though. The Murgos are angry with the Malloreons from what we've heard.”

Inuyasha tore into his third drumstick. He liked how the tender chicken meat melted in his mouth. As he continued to eat, he heard a dry comment, “You know, you really shouldn't eat that fast. It can't be all that good for your digestion.”

Inuyasha glared in his brother's direction. He muttered, “Shut up, asshole. I'll eat any way I want to.”

Sesshomaru's brows furrowed in confusion. He wiped his hand with a napkin. “This Sesshomaru has said nothing, half-breed.”

“Whatever.” Inuyasha tossed the bone into the small pile growing by his plate.

“You feeling alright, Inuyasha?” Kagome's eyes filled with worry.

“I'm fine.” He picked up some bread and bit into it. “Don't worry about me.” Inuyasha shook his head, unsure of just where that voice had come from.

Kagome pushed her plate aside. “Well Sango, are you ready?”

Sango glared at Miroku. “Of course.” She pushed her plate away. “Let's go. I'm sure you'll fill me in on the rest of the news later, monk.”

“Why certainly, my dear Sango.”

“Save it, lecher.”

“Are you coming, Rin, Shippo?” Kagome called.

Shippo jumped from his spot on the bench, landing on Kagome's shoulder. “What an idiot. He never learns.” He crossed his arms and snorted.

Rin nodded. She leaned over and kissed Sesshomaru's cheek. “I'll go right back to our room after my bath, okay, Sesshomaru-sama?”

Sesshomaru's eyes softened. “Do so, Rin.” He squeezed her hand in his own. “Retire for the evening when you return to our room.”

“Yes, Sesshomaru-sama.”

Kagome kissed Inuyasha's cheek. “I'll see you in a little bit. Don't eat too much.”

Inuyasha blushed. “Feh. Wench, just go take your bath.” He turned away from her, picking up another piece of meat.

The girls and Shippo left the room and Inuyasha turned his attention towards his food. He ripped some meat from his lamb chop, licking his fingers. He twitched his ears when he heard a dry voice remark, “Can you even taste what you're eating? With the way you shovel food down your throat I'm surprised you even remember to chew.”

Inuyasha coughed. He narrowed his eyes at Sesshomaru. “What the fuck is your problem, jackass? Why do you care so much about how I eat all of the sudden?”

Sesshomaru set down his chopsticks. “Half-breed, this Sesshomaru does not approve of your tone.”

Miroku arched an eyebrow. “Inuyasha, are you sure you're alright? Sesshomaru-sama didn't say anything.”

Inuyasha snorted. “Feh.” He looked back down at his plate. “I'm fine.” He frowned as he stared at the remaining food. Why had he heard these comments when his brother hadn't said anything at all? It didn't make sense. He worried that perhaps the Grolims might be manipulating him again.

Yarblek shoved his plate aside. He said, “Vella, I believe you promised an after dinner dance.”

Vella sneered at Yarblek. “I didn't promise you one, if that's what you think. I believe I promised one for my possible new owner, you dunce.”

She stood from the table and cleared some space on the floor. The dancing girl removed her belt and collar setting them down onto a table before stepping out of her heavy red velvet dress. Beneath her outer dress she wore a flimsy scarlet gown of silk. It whispered and clung to her lush body, reaching her mid-calf. It formed a tight collar around her throat, however it left her rounded arms bare to the shoulders. Around her wrists were narrow, gold bracelets. Vella tied a red ribbon around her luxurious midnight hair. The dancing girl bent down and fastened brass bells around each ankle. She picked up her belt and refastened it about her waist.

Inuyasha blinked, sucking in air. He was very thankful that the girls and Shippo had left before this. He gulped and crossed his legs, guilty that he had felt anything upon seeing this woman prepare to dance. After all, he had a mate and he shouldn't have had any interest in the strange slave woman. The hanyou felt his cheeks flame as he stared in fascination. Inuyasha shook his head as an image of Kagome in a similar outfit swam before his vision. He breathed, “Oi. Would you look at that.”

Miroku nodded. “You said it, Inuyasha. That is one beautiful woman.”

Sesshomaru snorted but it didn't escape Inuyasha's notice that his brother had also crossed his legs. “Foolishness. What a disgusting display. How vulgar.”

Vella raised her arms above her head. She said, “This is the beat. See if you can hold it. I know you're too drunk to sit up straight, Yarblek.” The dancing girl began to clap her hands together, three measured and then four staccato.

Yarblek took up the beat. At first Vella's dance seemed innocuous. She strutted slowly and insolently, her dark eyes burning. Her red silk sighed against her calves as she moved, her motions flowing and graceful. Countering the beat were the bells, tinkling around her ankles. Her feet flickered in an intricate pattern and she began to dance with wild abandon. Her blue-black hair flared out around her. Vella's hands wove complex designs in the air as her hips swayed from side to side, a fluidity in the movement. She turned around and swiveled them in a circular motion, increasing in speed until the bells around her ankles began to chime. The more the beat increased, the more Vella's dance became untamed, teeming with unbridled passion and sensuality.

Inuyasha held his breath as he watched Vella's erotic dance. He felt his cheeks flush further as other areas of his body reacted to the display of raw sexuality. He bit his lip as he shifted in his seat. He shouldn't have stayed for this. The more the woman danced, the more he found himself enjoying its debauchery and the hanyou couldn't tear his eyes away from her. Inuyasha felt guilt wash over him for feeling any attraction to a woman other than Kagome. It was wrong to feel any lust for anyone other than his mate and he knew it would hurt her if she knew how this dancing girl's display had affected him.

“You're being ridiculous, you know. You may have a mate waiting for you, but you're not dead, either. It's perfectly natural to feel the things that you are. Don't be silly,” a dry voice whispered.

Inuyasha jumped, looking towards his brother. The comment on his tongue died as he noticed that Sesshomaru watched the woman dance as if in a trance. All the men around the small inn's dining room seemed transfixed by Vella's movements. Her gown certainly hid nothing of the movements of her body as she danced. Several times as she whirled, her dark eyes penetrated the men in the room, smoldering with untamed desire. Vella slowed and strutted sensually towards Sesshomaru, a dagger in each fist. She lifted her chin in defiance and stopped. A small mysterious smile crossed her full lips. “I bet you reconsider my offer.”

Sesshomaru shifted in his seat. He cleared his throat and his gold eyes narrowed. “This Sesshomaru has no interest in owning a human wench. Do not be foolish.”

“Sesshomaru,” Vella breathed. “A good, strong name. I'll lower my price from five gold marks to three. I can cook, bargain, tend to minor wounds, tan hides, and brew good beer. I can tell good stories and play the wood flute. I haven't been to any man's bed and will protect my virtue if necessary. With the demon's running loose I can make good curse markers to keep magicians at bay. Does that satisfy you, Sesshomaru?”

Sesshomaru stood, towering over the dancing girl. The Demon Lord looked the woman up and down, sizing her up. “And that makes you think yourself worthy of this Sesshomaru? I have no interest in owning a mortal woman. It serves me no purpose.”

Vella's full lips drew into a pout. “Mortal? We're all mortal. What do you mean?”

Polgara stood. “I think a small explanation on Nadrak custom to clear up any misunderstandings is in order. In Gar og Nadrak, women are considered property. They are bought and sold as possessions. However, each time a woman is sold, she receives half of her selling price. Quite possibly, a Nadrak woman, if she can raise her value and price enough, can become quite wealthy. They're also some of the freest women in the world, despite being owned.” She put an arm around Vella's shoulders. “Vella, dear, you really wouldn't want Sesshomaru to own you. He's not human. He's a very special guest of our traveling party.” The sorceress turned towards Inuyasha. “Inuyasha, pull your hood down a moment, please.”

“Not human?” Vella blinked.

Inuyasha jumped, exhaling. He squirmed in his seat a moment. He looked towards Polgara. “Are you sure?”

“Yes. They're trusted friends of ours. I'm surprised that it wasn't mentioned by the Alorn Council.” Polgara nodded.

Inuyasha reluctantly pulled the red fabric away from his ears. He twitched them, guiltily looking towards the floor. He did not want to make eye contact with the strange dancing girl. “Feh. It's always my stupid ears.”

“What, what are they? He has dog ears.” Vella gasped.

“Yes. Inuyasha is a half-demon. Sesshomaru is his elder half-brother. He's a Demon Lord. They aren't the ages they appear. You don't want to be sold to Sesshomaru, dear. It'd be best if you stayed with Yarblek for now.”

Yarblek squinted, any apparent drunkenness disappearing. “Wait a minute. Demon, half-demon, you mean to tell me that you've been traveling with these two?” He whistled. “Silk, you're caught up in some very strange business as of late. Aren't you worried they'll eat you? You can't possibly be controlling them, even with those sorcerers.”

Silk twitched his nose. “I do make it a habit to not be on their menu, that's for sure. Thankfully I don't think I have enough meat on me for their tastes. I'm much too stringy to be satisfying, don't you think?”

The old sorcerer rolled his eyes. “Are you finished, Silk?” He sighed.“You're right, Yarblek. We can't control them. We don't have to. They're not normal demons. And you just watched them eat. No humans were on their plates, now were they?”

Yarblek turned a wary eye towards Inuyasha and Sesshomaru. “All I'll say is, Silk, as soon as we can, Vella and I are heading back to Gar og Nadrak. We helped your wife get here and now we want to go back home. At least the Morindim are to primitive to do a whole lot. I'd rather not be mixed up in this more than I already am. You sure do find some dangerous things to do, my rat-faced friend.”

“It's a talent.” Silk shrugged.

Vella sighed. “I suppose you're right, Lady Polgara. If only that funny juggler would buy me. He's always told the best raunchy stories, after all.” She smiled wistfully. “I guess I'll pass, Sesshomaru. Perhaps another time I'll dance for you again.”

Sesshomaru retook his seat. He nodded. “Perhaps.”

“Vella, dear, why don't we go upstairs? I think you might be surprised to see who's waiting for you,” Polgara said.

“Alright, Lady Polgara.” Vella followed the sorceress out of the room with one forlorn look towards Sesshomaru.

Miroku sighed. “I must admit, Sesshomaru-sama, I am a little envious of you. That was one fine woman.”

Sesshomaru snorted. “This Sesshomaru has no interest in her vulgar display, monk.”

Inuyasha snickered. “As if. It affected you just like every other male in the room. You're so full of shit.”

“Half-breed, this Sesshomaru is not amused.” Sesshomaru knit his brows together and narrowed his eyes at Inuyasha.

“I found it to be a most entertaining dance, indeed. She certainly can stir one's blood,” Miroku said. “It's too bad they won't continue with us.”

Sesshomaru and Inuyasha glared at him. The Demon Lord rolled his eyes and the hanyou shook his head. “Feh. Once a lecher, always a lecher.”

“This Sesshomaru finds the whole affair disgusting and has no desire to travel with a slave woman.” The Demon Lord looked down at the table, creases of worry lining his forehead.

“Hey, something wrong, Sesshomaru?” Inuyasha asked.

“Nothing that this Sesshomaru wishes to discuss.” Sesshomaru raised his eyes, resting them on Miroku.

“Feh. The monk's on our side. Don't worry about that lecher. He's probably too busy imagining that pig dancing like that,” Inuyasha said. He grinned at the monk and raised his eyebrows suggestively.

“I resent that,” Miroku remarked.

“Or would it be Sango you're thinking of, perhaps?” Inuyasha taunted.

Miroku glared at him. “ I believe your brother wanted to say something, Inuyasha.” He tilted his head towards Sesshomaru.

“Rin,” The Demon Lord breathed. “She had a disturbing lesson tonight.” Sesshomaru's eyes became confused.

“What do you mean, Sesshomaru-sama?” Miroku asked, his brows furrowed in confusion.”What lesson?”

“Rin's a sorceress, monk,” Inuyasha explained. “So, what did the wolf-wench teach her tonight?”

“How to make herself small. To shrink herself.”

“Shrink herself? I don't understand, Sesshomaru-sama,” Miroku said. Why would she ever need to know that? She's already small enough.”

“That's what I thought as well.” Sesshomaru sighed.

Inuyasha crossed his arms. “I don't like it. So, did she do it?”

“Yes. She did.” The Demon Lord's eyes became distant. “It was unlike anything this Sesshomaru has ever seen.” He leveled his golden gaze on Miroku. “Monk, I presume you will keep this information to yourself?”

Miroku nodded. “Certainly, Sesshomaru-sama. You have my word.”

“Did the fucking wolf-wench teach Rin anything else?”

Sesshomaru nodded. “Yes. However, this Sesshomaru does not wish to speak of it any further for the time being.”

“Alright,” Inuyasha said.

The loud raucous laughter of a woman filled the small dining hall. Vella entered on the arm of the juggler. “I must say, I've missed your particular brand of story telling.”

“I'm glad t' entertain you, me girl,” Feldegast replied. “Yer laughter is like music t' me ears.”

Inuyasha shifted in his seat, blushing. He flattened his ears in guilt as he noticed that the dancing girl still wore her dancing outfit. He bit his lip as he looked away. Feeling any attraction to a woman other than his mate was wrong, especially after all the hurt he had inflicted on Kagome in the past couple days. He stood. “Feh. I'm going to go see if Kagome's back from that bath.”

Sesshomaru stood as well. He snorted. “This Sesshomaru has no desire to see such a vulgar display again.”

“Suit yourself, you two.” Miroku winked.

“Lecher,” Inuyasha said. “You're lucky that Sango isn't here to smack you up side the head.” He snorted and followed his brother down the hallway and up the stairs. He sighed, folding his ears further. He should have left as soon as Vella had begun preparations for her dance. Instead he had stayed and watched. What was even worse, he liked it. How would he be able to face Kagome after that? He had hurt his mate badly and now he had behaved no better than the lecher.

As he passed Sesshomaru on his way to the room he shared with Kagome, Inuyasha stopped when he heard the same dry voice remark, “You really do take your guilt complexes to a new level. Don't you feel ridiculous since she's already forgiven you?”

Inuyasha snarled, “Hey, fucker, butt out of my relationship with my mate. I didn't ask you. And don't give me any bullshit about how it wasn't you who just said that a moment ago. We're the only ones here, jackass.”

Sesshomaru dropped his hand from the doorknob. “This Sesshomaru hasn't said anything about you or your mate.” He turned, a flicker of concern in his eyes. “You have acted strange all night, half-breed.”

Inuyasha shook his head. His shoulders slumped as he realized his brother hadn't lied about not speaking. He said, “Look, I thought I heard you say something. It's nothing. Forget I snapped at you like that.”

“Perhaps you should get some sleep, half-breed.”

“Yeah.” He scratched an ear. “I should get to my room, I guess, before Kagome wonders where I am.”

Sesshomaru nodded and disappeared into his room. Inuyasha sighed, his brows furrowed. If his brother hadn't said anything, then who had? A dry voice remarked, “So you're finally realizing that it wasn't your brother that said all those things, after all.”

Inuyasha raised his ears to full alert, swiveling them. No one was in the hallway with him so where had the comment come from? He placed a firm hand onto Tetsusaiga's hilt. “Who said that? Who's there?”

“Not as bright as I'd hoped, though.” Inuyasha blinked as he realized that the voice came from inside his head. He relaxed his grip, letting his hand fall back to his side. “Amazing. You can think. Perhaps there is hope for you after all.”

“Get out of my head,” Inuyasha hissed. “And what do you mean there might be hope for me? You don't have to insult me, asshole. What do you want with me, anyways? Are you one of those Grolims?”

“I thought we should get acquainted with one another, that's all. No, Inuyasha, I'm not a Grolim. You'll want to ask Garion about who I am, although I'd wait until morning if I were you. He'll be able to explain it to you. We've known one another for a very long time. As long as he's been alive, in fact.”

“You never answered my question. What do you want with me?” Inuyasha whispered.

“Nothing at the moment. Go, spend some time with your mate. All I ask is that you get over this guilt of yours. I can't let it get in my way when I need you. We'll talk again soon. Remember, ask Garion. If you ask Belgarath you'll only excite him and it's much too soon for him to be excited.” And then the voice was gone.

Inuyasha shook his head, clearing his thoughts. Maybe he was just tired. Perhaps that's all it had been. It had been a very long ride to get to this city, after all. Inuyasha yawned, scratching an ear. He sighed and stepped closer to the door. Before he could enter, he saw Vella down the hallway. He blushed again, feeling guilt rise in him for having felt entertained by her dance. It didn't matter what the strange, disembodied voice had said. Inuyasha knew it had been wrong. He drooped his ears and put his hand to the doorknob. Perhaps his brother was right. He just needed to get a good night's sleep.