Crossover Fan Fiction / InuYasha Fan Fiction ❯ The Journey to the City of Endless Night ❯ Chapter Fifty-Seven ( Chapter 57 )

[ X - Adult: No readers under 18. Contains Graphic Adult Themes/Extreme violence. ]

Chapter Fifty Seven

The soft click of the door closing roused Miroku from a deep sleep. The monk buried his face under the blankets in an attempt to block the soft sunlight streaming through the window. He felt warm and comfortable where he was and the monk wanted to prolong this feeling for as long as possible. Miroku brushed his cheek against something soft as he burrowed further beneath the covers. The day's tasks could wait just a bit longer as far as the monk was concerned.

Miroku felt something rub against his leg and the monk opened an eye. He gasped and his eyes went wide as he realized that Sango slept next to him. What was even worse, they were in the bed together. Miroku tensed when he noticed that not only was he sleeping next to the demon slayer, but that his arms held her close to him. He couldn't recall climbing into the bed during the night and knew that Sango would be angry if she should wake to find herself in this situation, especially after he had promised to keep himself under control. Before she could wake, Miroku would have to get out of the bed or face the demon slayer's terrifying wrath.

Miroku began to ease his arms away from her only to find hers clamp down, pinning his against her stomach. He froze, afraid that Sango had discovered their predicament. The demon slayer rolled over, burying her face into his chest. Her arms wrapped around him and she sighed contentedly.

Miroku whispered, “Now what?”

The monk bit his lip as he shifted, trying to slide one arm free. Unfortunately, the more he attempted to extract himself from her grasp, the tighter it became. Miroku sighed, his eyes falling shut. He began to meditate, in an effort to calm down. Perhaps if he could relax, Sango would follow suit and he could make his escape, before she realized just what was happening.

As Sango's hold on him eased, Miroku managed to free an arm. He looked up, noticing that Kirara stared down at him from her perch on the headboard. She mewed softly, stretching. The fire-cat sat down, peering down at them. Kirara bunched up, preparing to jump down, directly behind Sango's head. Miroku raised his free arm, warding her away. He whispered, “No, Kirara. Stay up there.” He sighed in relief when the fire-cat stopped, blinking her red eyes. “That was close.”

Miroku lowered his arm, settling it gently onto Sango's back. He shook his head as she wrapped her arms around him further, drawing him closer to her. He winced as his other arm twisted between them. The monk attempted to shift it so his elbow wouldn't dig into her stomach and wake her. Sango moaned softly in her sleep, grumbling. Miroku tensed, holding his breath. She muttered, “Stop that, Kirara. I'm trying to sleep. It's too early to get up.”

The monk rolled his eyes. Miroku whispered, “Great. She thinks I'm the cat.”

He glared up at Kirara. The fire-cat wasn't even paying attention to them as she took a bath, preening one of her twin tails. The monk chuckled softly and shook his head. At this point, the whole situation was becoming ridiculous. Miroku tried to pry his other arm free only to find Sango squeeze tight again. The monk slumped onto the pillows. It looked like there would be no escape.

Miroku tucked her loose hair behind an ear. As much as he knew the demon slayer would punish him for this transgression, he relished this moment. She looked peaceful in her sleep, and he had to admit he that liked the feel of her body next to his, even if she did think he was Kirara. She shifted her head on the pillow, brushing her nose against the crook of his neck. Miroku's eyes fell shut as he sniffed her hair. The soft strands smelt faintly of lavender and he inhaled deeply.

Sango shifted against him, drawing him closer to herself. She murmured something in her sleep the monk couldn't understand before settling back down. Miroku rested his free hand on her waist. He bit his lip as he felt his body react to the demon slayer's close proximity. If the situation wasn't already bad enough, now he had to repress his urges. He clenched his hand on her hip, fighting to keep his nether regions from stiffening. It was imperative that he escape her grip.

The monk took a few deep breaths once his body relaxed slightly. He twisted his pinned arm between them, keeping an eye on Sango's movements. Once his arm was free, he placed one hand on one of Sango's arms, attempting to pry it from his waist. If he could get one of her arms to let go, he could slip out and she would wake later, without knowing he had been in the bed with her, aroused no less.

As Miroku tried to pull her arm off of him, he heard Sango yawn. He glanced down, his eyes connecting with Sango's sleepy ones. Miroku let go of her arm and waved. The monk smiled shyly and said, “Good morning, my dear Sango. Did you sleep well?”

Sango blinked drowsy eyes and yawned wide. She rubbed an eye and blinked again before shrieking. Miroku flinched as he felt her palm connect with his chin and she jerked away from him, her knees pulled to her chest as she sat on the other side of the bed. Sango cried out, “Just what are you doing in the bed, monk?”

Miroku laughed nervously. He rubbed his chin, surprised she hadn't hit harder. He sat up, staring down at the sheets. “I don't know.” He sighed, guilt flooding him as his shoulders slumped. Miroku said, “I'm sorry, Sango. Honestly, I don't know how I got here. I was sleeping in my bedroll. When I woke up, I was with you in the bed. I didn't want to wake you so I tried to get up. You have to believe me.” Miroku hung his head, scooting to the edge of the bed. He whispered, “It won't happen again, I promise.”

The sheets rustled behind him and Sango moved to sit next to Miroku. The monk scrambled off the bed, his body tense. She took his hand into hers, pulling him back. Miroku's eyes went wide and he glanced over his shoulder at the demon slayer. Sango's head was bowed, her tangled hair shielding her face from him. She whispered, “I'm sorry. It's just that you startled me.”

Miroku sat back down, tilting her chin up so he could look into her eyes. He tucked her hair behind an ear, brushing it away from her face. A faint blush covered her cheeks and she bit her lip. Her brown eyes locked with his before she lowered them. Miroku bit his own lip before leaning in, brushing his lips against hers. Her mouth opened in surprise and he gently pushed his tongue inside. Sango's arms moved to his neck, locking behind his head. Her tongue twisted with his. Miroku brushed his thumb across her cheek. He broke away, whispering, “It's alright. It didn't hurt that much.”

Sango laughed softly, and playfully punched his shoulder. She hugged him, kissing his cheek. Sango brushed her nose against his before kissing him. Her tongue delved deep into Miroku's surprised mouth. The demon slayer tucked his loose hair behind his ear, breathing into it, “I'm not sorry, then.”

A loud rap came and Sango pulled away from him, blushing. Miroku shook his head, sighing. He crossed the room, opening the door. Silk and Velvet stood on the other side. The small blonde woman said, “I see you survived the night in one piece, Miroku.” She smiled, her dimples appearing. “We were wondering if you two would like to join us for breakfast downstairs.”

Miroku glanced over his shoulder at Sango. She was tugging her travel dress back on, tying the bodice shut. He sighed, clenching his hand at his side. Miroku turned his attention back to the doorway and smiled weakly. He said, “We'd love to. How about we meet you downstairs?”

Silk nodded. He winked, his large nose twitching. “Don't take too long, my spiritual friend. We'll see you downstairs, then.”

“We'll be down shortly.” Miroku shut the door, leaning against it. He brushed his hair away from his face. The monk glanced around, looking for his hair tie. His eyes went wide as he felt something slip into his palm. “Sango?”

Sango's fingers brushed his skin and when she let go of his hand, he found his hair bind. The demon slayer stared at the floor, her hair falling over one eye. She said softly, “Here.”

He smiled warmly at her. “Why thank-you, my dear Sango.” Miroku smoothed his hair, tying it back. He arched an eyebrow when he caught the slight pout on Sango's lips.

The demon slayer turned, looking at herself in the mirror. She blew an errant strand of hair from her face and sighed. Sango picked up her hairbrush, running it through her tousled hair. She asked, “Where's Shippo?”

Miroku shrugged. “He left pretty early this morning. I don't know where he went.”

“Oh.” She set the brush back down onto the nightstand, and smiled shyly at him. “That would make sense. I suppose he went to see Kagome.”

“I'm sure he's alright.” The monk placed his palm on the door knob. He asked, “Well, shall we?”

Sango nodded, tying her white ribbon around her dark hair. She patted Kirara on the head. “We'll be back soon, Kirara.”

Miroku opened the door, holding it open for Sango. “After you, my dear.”

A timid smile crossed the demon slayer's face as she passed Miroku into the hallway. Sango whispered, “Thank-you.”

The monk closed the door, locking it behind him. Miroku's lips upturned into a smile as his eyes focused on Sango's rear. Her hips swayed as she walked and he reached a hand out. Miroku shook his head and clenched his cursed hand. He berated himself for backsliding to such perverted behavior, especially after he had been doing so well. The monk picked up his pace, falling in step alongside with Sango. He smiled at her, his hand slipping into hers. It would hopefully keep his from getting into trouble.

They entered the sunlit dining hall. On the tables were platters filled with breads, meats, pastries, and cheeses. At one table sat Belgarath, Poledra, Polgara, Durnik, and the juggler. Around another crowded the large red-bearded man, knight, and the horseman, talking in hushed tones. Miroku nodded his head in Silk's direction as the rat-faced man waved them over. They were sharing a table with Yarblek and Vella. The monk sat down next to the thief, reluctantly releasing Sango's hand as she seated herself across from him, next to Velvet.

Miroku greeted, “Good morning. I hope you all slept well.” He picked up a piece of cheese and began to eat. After the monk had eaten half of it, he asked, “So, what's on the agenda today?”

Silk shrugged. “Depends. I don't think we'll be going anywhere immediately, judging by the scowl on Belgarath's face.” The thief tore a hunk of bread in half. “I think our ancient friend will have to wake up a little bit more before he makes any decisions.”

The old sorcerer's eyes were narrowed and a sneer crossed his lips. Belgarath yawned wide, scratching his beard. He snatched some bread from a platter and bit into it. He winced, glaring at Polgara as she commented, her voice overly cheerful, “My, it is a lovely morning, wouldn't you say? It was nice to stay in the inn last night, don't you think, father?”

“Now, now, Pol,” Durnik chided as he poured some tea for her. “No need to antagonize him.”

“Yes, dear,” Polgara said, her eyes lowered as she picked up her teacup.

“Don't y' know that our ancient friend is feelin' his ten thousand years right about now.” Feldegast winked, picking up some roasted meat. “'Tis a shame he's not up to enjoyin' this grand mornin.”

Belgarath grumbled under his breath, “Seven thousand.” He sighed. “I'm only seven thousand.”

Poledra said, “One thinks perhaps you should not have stayed up quite so late last night.” The tawny-haired woman smiled, kissing the old man's bearded cheek. “Your temperament tends to turn sour when you do that, Old Wolf.”

The thief whispered, drawing Miroku's attention back to their table, “So, how did things work out last night?” Silk's nose twitched and he raised his eyebrows suggestively. “Did she like your surprise?”

Miroku blushed, rubbing the back of his neck with his hand. He nodded. “Ah, yes. It went quite well, indeed.”

“It must have, because you seem to be intact.” Silk buttered his bread and ate it. “I must say, I couldn't have come up with a better plan to seduce a woman.”

The monk cleared his throat, heat further flushing his face. He said, “It was certainly a nice way to relax at the end of a long day's ride.”

“I'm sure it was.” Silk smiled slyly. He shook his head. Miroku caught a slight movement of the Drasnian's fingers. He recognized it as the secret language he had been learning recently. Silk's nimble fingers asked ---You seem flustered. Is everything alright? I get the feeling there's something about last night that you're not telling me.--- They spy asked out loud,“Well, Yarblek, just when were you thinking of heading back to Gar og Nadrak?”

Miroku glanced towards Sango, noticing that she was engrossed in a conversation with Velvet. He replied ---No, no. Nothing's bothering me.---

“Pretty much when ever you folks leave the city, Vella and I will make our way back home. I'm not entirely fond of my Malloreon cousins and I'm even less fond of the demons, no offense to those traveling in your company, that is.” Yarblek drank from a tankard. He wiped his mouth with the back of his hand. “I think I have enough problems, Silk. I don't need to become some demon's next meal. I'll keep business running as well as I can, but don't expect me to come here again until what ever it is you're doing about the mess up in Torak's city is finished.”

“Understandable. Just don't lose all of our prospects here in Mallorea. We don't want to lose our grip on the gem market, after all.” The rat-faced man ate some cheese. He signed ---You sure? You didn't get yourself into trouble again, did you? I got the feeling something was happening when we knocked at your door.--- Silk continued aloud, “By the way, how are we doing in Malloreon carpet trading?”

“Adequate, I suppose.” Yarblek finished his tankard, accepting another. “No offense, but I've had to find a way around your aunt's taxes in Drasnia to get some of those rugs into other countries of the West. I would bypass Boktor altogether if I could, but I hear that they've closed the Southern Caravan route, again.”

“Interesting,” Silk's nose twitched. “Corner the market. If we're the only ones with fine Malloreon carpets on hand, the more money we'll get for them. I'm not surprised the Murgos are closing their borders, though. It seems to be a knee jerk reaction of theirs when anything shakes up the Church.”

Miroku cleared his throat, fighting his blush. He gestured ---Well, you could say a form of trouble, I suppose.--- The monk asked aloud, “Just what is the Southern Caravan route, if you don't mind me asking.”

Silk motioned ---Oh? Just what kind of trouble? It's not serious, is it?--- He finished aloud, “It's a trade route connecting Tol Honeth in Tolnedra to Rak Goska in Cthol Murgos. The Northern Caravan route travels from Boktor in Drasnia to Yar Nadrak in Gar og Nadrak. It seems that the Murgos have consistency, because anytime they want to drive out all the foreigners interfering with their country, they close the Southern route down. It's typical. They only like it when they feel it's profitable.”

“I see. And the Church controls the Southern route?” Miroku rubbed his chin. He signed --- No, it's not serious. At least I don't think it is. ---

“They'd like to think they do, and I guess in a way Torak's Church does. But everyone knows the Tolnedran legions own the route for the most part. You can't travel it without their inspections. Murgos are often a suspicious people. I think it's bred into them,” Silk said, sipping some tea. His fingers asked --- Well, just what did you do this time? You didn't go out of your way to antagonize Sango, did you?---

Miroku looked from the little rat-faced man to Sango. He bit his lip, his blush covering his cheeks again. He gestured ---In a way, I guess. I woke up in bed with her this morning.---

Yarblek drank deeply from his tankard. He shrugged. “I'm even less fond of my Murgo cousins than I am of my Malloreon ones. The less I have to see or deal with them, the happier I'll be. Besides, they never haggle properly. You know that, Silk.” He grabbed some meat from a platter. “From what I've heard, the Murgos are afraid they'll be invaded by the Western armies and the Malloreons at the same time. Your brother really has no say over what's going on in the kingdom. Some stupid Hierarch down there is running things by force from Rak Goska. He has more money than Urgit, so he has the bigger army, for now.”

“Are you serious? I'm sure Porenn could get a spy inside if she had to, so they could put a stop to that. I know Urgit isn't fond of Malloreons, but that Hierarch is insane if he thinks demons will care who's Angarak or Alorn.” Silk motioned back to Miroku ---You what? How are you still walking? I've seen her temper, monk.--- He asked Yarblek, “So where's my brother stationed?”

Miroku shrugged. He replied ---I didn't mean to. It just happened. I promised it wouldn't happen again.---

“Last I heard, he was holed up in Rak Cthan.” Yarblek finished another tankard. “What can I say? Grolims have never had common sense. I'll see what I can do when I do talk with Porenn, however.” He waved a servant over, requesting more ale.

Vella snorted. “You make me sick, Yarblek. It's not even mid-morning and you're already drinking. What's the matter with you?” She crossed her arms, her dark eyes swirling with disgust. “It's a pity that pretty man, Sesshomaru, didn't buy me, after all. He seemed to actually have enough common sense not to drink that foul swill you enjoy so much.”

Sango gasped, followed by a coughing fit. The demon slayer asked, “You asked Sesshomaru to buy you?”

The dancing girl turned her gaze towards Sango, assessing her. “What's it to you? He didn't buy me so it doesn't matter, does it?”

“Nothing, nothing at all.” Sango shook her head, glancing down at the table. She bit her lip and replied, “I guess not, no.” The demon slayer looked up, her dark eyes connecting with Miroku's. She smiled shyly before turning to talk with Velvet.

Yarblek snorted. “You remember, he's not a man, right? He's a demon, Vella.”

Vella turned her nose up at him. “So what? He seemed to have more manners than you'll ever have.” She stood. “I'm going to go sit with that juggler, if you don't mind. At least he tells good stories.” She crossed the room, leaning in to whisper something to Feldegast.. He stood not long after, and they held hands as they made their way towards the stairs. Vella glared towards Yarblek, her dark eyes narrowed, before turning her back and followed the juggler up them.

Silk whistled. “You sure you want to take her back home with you, my friend? She seems to be more surly than usual.” He gestured ---Wise move, monk. It probably kept her from beating you senseless. We'll have to talk more about this later.---

Yarblek shrugged. “She helps me make good sales. When we get home she'll probably calm down. Vella's just been pouting since that demon didn't buy her. That, and she really doesn't like being in Mallorea more than she has to be. I can't say I blame her.”

Miroku pursed his lips. The monk motioned ---Alright. We will.--- He asked out loud, “You have a brother, Silk?”

“Half, actually. He's the King of Cthol Murgos. It would seem he's not in as much control as he was after Garion gave him some lessons on being a king, though.” Silk sighed. He said, “I hate to do this, but I think Belgarath ought to know what's going on in the other parts of the world.” He turned, calling out, “Belgarath!”

The old sorcerer grumbled, looking over towards the thief. He asked, his tone cross, “What is it, Kheldar?”

“Well, you're going to want to know this. Yarblek said that the Hierarchs have taken control of Cthol Murgos and closed the Southern Caravan route. I have a funny feeling things are getting messy in the West,” Silk said.

The old man swore in several languages Miroku couldn't understand. “Imbeciles! Do they think that demons truly care what faith people are?” He glared at Velvet. “You told me they made a truce with Urgit.”

Velvet shrugged. “I did. I said that Anheg was working on it and that Porenn convinced the other Alorn leaders that it would be beneficial. I have no control over Murgos, and apparently neither does Urgit.”

The old man sighed, calming down as Poledra held his hand. He looked over towards the large, red-bearded man, knight, and horseman, and said, “Barak, Mandorallen, and Hettar, I think it's best if you go back West with Yarblek.”

Barak said, his deep voice rumbling, “But Belgarath, what if you need us?”

“We'll manage, don't worry. I think they need a bit more help over there. From the sounds of it, Cthol Murgos is ready to explode.” He pinched his nose. “Besides, I'll want to give you some instructions to take back there. I know I can trust you, Yarblek, but I have a funny feeling Anheg will want to hear these from his cousin.”

“Thy commands shall be followed to the letter.” Mandorallen beat his fist against his chest. “You have my word, Eternal Man. On my honor we shall not fail.”

Hettar stared ahead, his hawk-like face expressionless. It reminded Miroku much of Sesshomaru. The silent horseman had said very little in their travels and seemed more focused on the care of their animals. He said, his soft voice grim, “If that's what you want us to do, we'll go back, Belgarath.”

Belgarath shook his head. “Mandorallen, you really don't have to do that.” His shoulders slumped and he looked up towards the ceiling. “Why me?”

Silk laughed. “I think I've heard just about everyone in this company ask that at least once at one time or another.”

Poledra leaned over, kissing the old man's cheek. She hugged him. “One has to go for now. I have something to take care of. See you soon?”

Belgarath nodded. He gripped one of her hands into his, squeezing it. “Yes. Go ahead.” The tawny-haired woman stood, crossing to the staircase and disappeared up it. Belgarath frowned. “Anything else I should know about?”

“Not at the moment, I don't think,” Velvet said. “At least nothing I can recall.”

The old sorcerer turned towards Yarblek. “Do you remember anything I should know?”

“Can't say I do.” He held up his tankard. “If I do remember anything, I'll be sure to tell you.”

Sango leaned over, whispering, “Are you as lost as I am, monk?”

Miroku turned, looking towards the demon slayer. He nodded. “A little. From what I gather, one country is creating a rather large mess and Belgarath wants them to help fix it by going back west.” He rested his arm onto the table, tapping his fingers on the table. He stiffened when Sango took his hand into hers, holding it. The monk looked up, an eyebrow arched. He answered her soft smile with one of his own. Miroku shook his head as he caught the sly grin crossing Silk's face. He said, “The rest, I think we'll find out when we're supposed to.”

Before the monk could continue, Shippo ran into the room, breathless. He stopped in the doorway and looked around, his green eyes wide. The little boy rushed past their table, stopping in front of Polgara. He jumped up on top of it, catching his breath. The sorceress asked, “Well, what do we have here? What is it, Shippo?”

Shippo said, “Kagome wanted me to ask what was going on today. She said we should go shopping for Rin's birthday.”

“Rin's birthday?” Polgara's expression softened, a small smile crossing her face. Her gray eyes became a deep violet. “Father, what do you think? I think it's a wonderful idea and who knows when we'll get to do any shopping otherwise.”

Sango whispered, “I didn't know it was Rin's birthday soon.”

“Me either,” Miroku replied.

Belgarath grumbled something under his breath before sighing. He said, “Alright, we'll go shopping, but I'd like to get a move on by sundown if at all possible. Remember, the Master said we have to reach Ashaba by the end of the month. We can't afford to take too many extra side trips.”

“I knew you'd see it my way, father.” Polgara smiled. She turned towards Shippo. “You tell Kagome that we'll go shopping later this morning. We can't have Rin's birthday go unnoticed, after all, now can we?”

Shippo shook his head. He smiled, revealing his tiny fangs. “Nope!” He puffed his chest out. “I don't have to do any shopping, though. I have my gift for Rin, already. Kagome said she'd like it.”

“I'm sure Rin will.” Polgara lifted the little boy off of the table, setting him back down onto the floor. She shook her head, shaking a finger at him. The sorceress said, her voice stern, “However, little boys do not belong on the table.”

Shippo blushed, scuffing his foot into the floor. “Oh. Sorry about that. I was so excited to finally find you. Now can I go tell Kagome and Inuyasha what we're doing today, please?”

“Run along, dear. You don't want to keep them waiting,” Polgara said, tilting her head to the side. The sunlight caught the white streak in her dark hair, making it appear like frost.

Shippo scampered past their table. He called out, never stopping, “Good morning, Miroku, Sango!”

The little boy disappeared and Miroku shook his head. He said, “Well, he was sure in a hurry.”

Sango laughed softly. “It would seem so, yes.” She let go of his hand and stood up. “I'm going to go see Kagome. Try not to get into too much trouble, monk.”

“Me? Trouble?” Miroku smiled up at her. He shook his head. “I'll see you later, then.”

“Wait, I'm going to come with you, Sango.” Velvet leaned over, kissing Silk. “I'll see you later. Try not to corrupt our monk too much.”

“I wouldn't dream of it.” The spy smirked. “Have fun, ladies.”

Velvet snorted. “Just try to behave.” She winked. The blonde woman smiled wide, her dimples appearing. She glanced towards Sango. “Well, shall we?”

Sango nodded. “Alright.”

The ladies disappeared up the stairs and Miroku turned back towards the table, sighing. He finished his tea. “It seems like we'll have a busy day.”

Silk shrugged. “Looks like it.” He leaned over. “Why don't we go talk some place? I'm curious to hear how you survived your escapade this morning.”

Miroku blushed, rubbing the back of his neck with his cursed hand. He said, “Alright.”

Silk stood. He nodded in Yarblek's direction. “If I don't see you again, before you leave for the West, my friend, have a safe trip. I'll probably stop by sometime when I can make my way back there to check in.”

Yarblek nodded. “Okay. Kheldar, just don't get killed.”

“It's always a goal.” Silk winked. He said, “Let's go.”

Miroku followed the spy up the stairs and down the hall. They stopped in front of Silk's room and he unlocked it, entering. Miroku entered behind him, sitting down in the desk chair. He asked, “Well, what is that you want to know?”

Silk's nose twitched. “I'm curious, monk. You said you woke up in the bed with her. You two didn't do anything other than have some tea, did you?”

Miroku held his hands up, vigorously shaking his head. “No, no. We didn't do anything like that.”

“Then just how did you wake up in the same bed with Sango?” Silk's eyebrows raised. He pushed his dark hair away from his face. “You said you woke up that way, after all.”

The monk felt heat flush his face. He said, “To be honest, I don't know. I told her I'd sleep on the floor. When I went to sleep, that's where I was. But when I woke up, I was in bed with her. I tried to get out before she could wake, but I wasn't successful. She hit me and I said I was sorry. There's not much more to tell.”

“Alright.” Silk shook his head, a sly grin on his face. “If you say so, monk.” He pulled from his brown tunic a small bottle. “I think you still should make an apologetic overture to her. Give Sango this. That's if you're still serious about courting her.”

Miroku accepted the bottle, working the stopper out of it. He raised the stopper to his nose, sniffing it. The perfume was a lovely rose oil. “You sure? You don't want to give this to your wife?”

“Already a step ahead of you.” Silk grinned. “Don't worry. Liselle has her own bottle already. I figured when I got one, I'd get two. That way if you ever got yourself into trouble with Sango you could at least give her something to help your cause. I think it's time you give her that.”

Miroku replaced the bottle's stopper. He slipped it into his robes. “I'll think about it. I'm sure she'll want it.”

“What's your next move now? You're obviously serious about her.” Silk rubbed his hands together. “If we're going to go shopping for that little girl's birthday already, I suggest you pick a little something up for Sango while you're at it.”

Miroku smiled. “I like that idea. I think I'll do that.”

“The ladies will probably shop together. Do it then. They won't notice what you're up to if they're in a large group together. I've noticed Sango's not particularly the most feminine and that alone will make them flock to help her. Especially Ce'Nedra. Mark my words, our little Rivan Queen will take it upon herself to teach Sango the finer techniques of shopping. She's also a Tolnedran. Someone who doesn't understand the joys of spending money drives her race crazy.” Silk picked up a bottle of wine and a flask, pouring some into it. He sipped. “Want some?”

Miroku nodded, taking the flask. He sipped and handed it back. “I see. What do you suggest I buy?”

“You know the lady better than I do, my spiritual friend. Think of something you know she'd like. Velvet told me she likes weapons. See if you can find a good weapon. Just make sure the shopkeeper thinks you're buying it for yourself. They tend not to be favorable towards women who desire that type of thing. Malloreons are very stiff about that sometimes.” Silk slipped his wine flask into his tunic. “Now, how will you get the gifts to the lady in question?”

Miroku rubbed his chin with his cursed hand. He sighed. “I'm assuming after we leave this city that we'll be riding pretty hard to reach this Ashaba. What's the next city?”

“Mal Yaska. I wouldn't recommend taking the lady out there. It's the Grolim's stronghold, where Urvon lives. You'll have to do this somehow while we're on the road. I'm sure you can manage.” Silk winked. “I know about your earlier walk. Try that. It seemed to work for you last time.”

Miroku nodded. “Yes, that will certainly work.” He looked down, pursing his lips. The monk asked, “May I ask you something?”

“Go ahead.”

“Just why are you doing this for me?”

Silk shrugged. “You know, Miroku, I don't really know. Before I married Velvet I would have told you to not get entrapped by any one woman at all costs. Besides, I think it's entertaining. There's not much else for intrigue while on the road. Oh, and because I like you. You seem bent on winning the lady's heart. Why not help a friend along?”

Miroku smiled. “That's good enough, I suppose.” He stood. “I think I'll go find out more about our shopping trip, if you don't mind.”

“By all means, go ahead. Just remember, monk, pick something out you think Sango will like a lot. She seemed to like your little evening snack. Keep doing what ever it is you're doing that makes her relax. The rest will follow if you play things right.”