Crossover Fan Fiction / InuYasha Fan Fiction ❯ The Journey to the City of Endless Night ❯ Chapter Fifty-Eight ( Chapter 58 )

[ X - Adult: No readers under 18. Contains Graphic Adult Themes/Extreme violence. ]

Chapter Fifty-Eight
 
Rin sighed contentedly as she shifted her head on Sesshomaru's strong chest. The steady beat of her lord's heart underneath her ear soothed the little girl. She felt safe and secure as she snuggled into the warmth of his body. Rin pulled the blankets over them, yawning. The Demon Lord's arm rested on her waist, his hand lightly gripping it. Sesshomaru's soft breaths indicated to Rin that he still slept. Rin opened an eye, noticing that the soft grays of dawn cast much of the room in shadow.
 
The little girl lifted her head, looking up into her lord's face. His mouth was parted slightly, his expression relaxed. Sesshomaru yawned wide, revealing his fangs. One drowsy gold eye opened, connecting with Rin's brown. She smiled, snuggling onto his chest. Rin said, “Good morning, Sesshomaru-sama.”
 
The Demon Lord's only reply was a soft snort. He closed his eye, shifting his head onto a pillow. A soft groan of protest escaped his throat, followed by another yawn. Sesshomaru moved his hand on her back, drawing the blankets and his fur further around them. Her lord settled his arm back to her waist, holding her close to him. His legs cradled her and he moved a leg, stretching it out. One of Sesshomaru's bare feet brushed against the bottom of one of Rin's.
 
Rin giggled, squirming against his grip. “That tickled, Sesshomaru-sama.”
 
Sesshomaru grunted. His arm tightened around her, pinning Rin to his chest. He sighed, letting her go as he sat up. The Demon Lord brushed a stray lock of hair away from his face, tucking the rebellious silver strands behind one pointed ear. His eyes were narrowed and he yawned wide, rubbing the sleep out of one golden orb. Rin slid off his lap onto the bed, allowing Sesshomaru to stand. He pulled his haori over his undershirt, tying it closed. Sesshomaru crossed to the door and opened it. He glanced into the hall, exchanging words with a servant. Once that was finished, he closed the door and returned to the bed.
 
His soft voice remarked into the silence, “This Sesshomaru has requested that breakfast be sent here shortly.”
 
“Okay, Sesshomaru-sama.” Rin leaned her head onto his shoulder, her arms encircling his waist. Sesshomaru's arm settled about her shoulders, his thumb rubbing her hair. He drew her closer to himself and Rin eased back onto his lap. The little girl yawned, resting her head onto his shoulder. She asked, “Did you sleep well?”
 
Sesshomaru snorted his answer. He eased back into the pillows, pulling her with him. The Demon Lord nuzzled his nose into her hair. As he pulled back, Rin caught the brief smile that graced his lips. Sesshomaru brushed her hair away from her face. He cupped her chin in his hand, his thumb caressing her jawline. He asked, “Did you, Rin?”
 
Rin smiled wide, leaning into his touch. “Yes. Rin slept very well. There were no nightmares at all.”
 
“Good. This Sesshomaru is pleased by this.” He frowned, his brow furrowed. “Do you know if you shall have another lesson today?”
 
Rin shrugged. “I don't know, Sesshomaru-sama. Poledra-sama didn't say when my next lesson would be.” The little girl relaxed against her lord, rubbing her nose underneath his chin. She whispered, “Rin's curious to see what Poledra-sama will teach her next, though.”
 
“As is this Sesshomaru.” The Demon Lord yawned, resting his head onto the pillows. His eyes fell shut.
 
“Are you going back to sleep, Sesshomaru-sama?” Rin asked. “If you are, Rin can eat breakfast by herself.”
 
“This Sesshomaru is merely resting his eyes.”
 
“Oh.” Rin smiled and kissed his cheek before settling down onto his chest. She wrapped her arms loosely around his shoulders, her eyes closing. “Rin thinks that is an awfully good idea, Sesshomaru-sama.”
 
Sesshomaru pulled his fur about her, tucking it in. He held her close, his clawed fingers threading through her hair. Her lord sighed softly, his nose nuzzling against an ear. He growled into it, annoyed as a soft knock came to the door. Sesshomaru tapped his fingers on her shoulder, silently telling Rin that she should move. She slid down onto the bed, clutching his fur about herself as Sesshomaru crossed the room and opened the door. He wheeled a cart in, closing the door again. “Rin, come and eat.”
 
Rin nodded, dropping his fur onto the bed and padded over to the cart. The little girl looked over the meats, cheeses and breads. She chewed on her thumbnail, trying to decide on what to have while Sesshomaru poured two cups of tea. He picked up a cup, and set it down onto the nightstand across the room. Before he could return to the cart, Rin grabbed a plate and asked, “What would you like, Sesshomaru-sama?”
 
Sesshomaru's brow furrowed as he sighed. “You do not have to serve this Sesshomaru like a common servant.”
 
Rin frowned, looking down towards the floor. “Rin just wants to help, that's all.”
 
Silence settled over them briefly and Rin moved to set the plate back down. Sesshomaru said, his voice soft, “Some meat, cheese, and a pastry is all.”
 
Rin looked up, her eyes connecting with Sesshomaru's. She smiled wide at him, picking the plate back up. “Okay, Sesshomaru-sama.”
 
She piled the food onto a plate and handed it to him. She stood before the cart, biting her lip in thought. Spotting the fresh fruit bowl, Rin snatched up a pear. She picked up her teacup and set it down next to Sesshomaru's. Rin sat down next to her lord, quietly eating her pear. Once it was finished, she set the core onto the nightstand.
 
“Rin, is that all?” Sesshomaru's voice sounded stern.
 
Rin looked up towards him, catching the small frown crossing her lord's face. “That all what, Sesshomaru-sama?”
 
“Is that one pear all you'll have, then?”
 
“Oh.” Rin blushed before returning to the cart. She piled onto a plate some cheese and a pastry. The little girl sat back down next to him, her plate of food resting in her lap. She selected the pastry first, biting into it. She savored the taste of cherries. Licking her lips, Rin looked up towards Sesshomaru. “You should try your pastry, Sesshomaru-sama. They're very good. Mine has cherries in it.”
 
Sesshomaru snorted and brushed a claw against her cheek. He held his finger up, some frosting and syrup coating the tip. Her lord shook his head, sighing. “This Sesshomaru can see that.” He wiped his finger on a napkin and set out to eat some cheese. The Demon Lord stared up towards the ceiling, his gold eyes lost in thought.
 
Rin watched Sesshomaru, nibbling on her pastry, careful not to get anymore frosting on her face. She blushed, embarrassed that she had forgotten her manners. Rin finished her pastry, cleaning her hands on a napkin. She picked up a piece of yellow cheese, tearing a hunk off. Rin asked, “So, what do you think we'll do today, Sesshomaru-sama?”
 
Sesshomaru pursed his lips, his brow furrowing in thought. As he was about to reply, a soft knock came to the door and he placed his plate onto the nightstand. The Demon Lord sighed and crossed to the door, opening it. On the other side stood Poledra. His quiet voice said, “I take it that you are here to give Rin another lesson.”
 
Poledra smiled. Her gold eyes peered into the room. “Yes. One knows that we shall have the time this morning. The Old Wolf is still much too ornery to travel just yet.”
 
Sesshomaru nodded, granting the wolf-woman his permission for her to enter. He sat down next to Rin, taking his plate back into his lap. “This Sesshomaru is curious. What exactly will you teach Rin this morning?”
 
“Today, we're going to explore the mind.”
 
“The mind? This Sesshomaru does not understand. Hasn't all of Rin's lesson's dealt with this?” Her lord frowned.
 
“In a way, yes, Rin has learned much about her mind and what it can do. However, all the use of her Will has been external. She moved objects and changed their size. Rin's used her Will in the outside world up until now. In this lesson, we'll go inside.”
 
“Inside? Inside how, Poledra-sama?” Rin ate some cheese.
 
“Well, what we're going to do is focus on how you and those around you think. Much as your eyes tell you who is your friend and who is your foe, your mind can alert you of this, too.” Poledra sat down into the same desk chair from the day before. “Sometimes you can only truly be sure by using your mind.”
 
“But how can I look at someone with only my mind? I don't know how to do that.” Rin set her empty plate onto the nightstand.
 
“Each race of people has its own distinct characteristics. It's what sets them apart, even more than their physical appearance.” Poledra paused, her eyes lost in thought. “We know that someone is a Murgo when we look at them. They will scar their cheeks. We know an Ulgo by their pale skin and hair. What we're trying to do with the mind is establish that same recognition. Sometimes, knowing exactly who is around us will be what saves our lives.”
 
Sesshomaru asked, “Just how will Rin be able to distinguish between the different races of humans?”
 
“By their thought processes. Each race, including your own, thinks differently. The Master has given me the ability, for these lessons, to mimic the various races.” Poledra turned, her gold eyes fixing on Rin. “Do you understand, Rin?”
 
Rin nodded. “I think so, Poledra-sama. But how can I see how they think? Will I be able to hear their thoughts?”
 
“That will come a bit later. Let's see how well you learn this, okay?” Poledra smiled reassuringly. “All you have to do for now, Rin, is submerge your personality for awhile. Open your mind and allow these other thought processes to fill it.”
 
Sesshomaru gripped her hand, squeezing it gently. “Submerge her personality?”
 
“Basically all I'm really asking her to do is to meditate. The clearer her mind, the quicker she'll learn the different races,” Poledra said.
 
“Proceed.”
 
“Are you ready, Rin?”
 
Rin looked up towards her lord. He nodded his acceptance, although his gold eyes were wary. She moved to sit cross-legged. The little girl gripped Sesshomaru's hand into her own and she looked towards Poledra, nodding. “I'm ready, Poledra-sama.”
 
“Good. Now just relax and clear your mind.”
 
Rin took a deep breath, closing her eyes. She focused on her breathing, trying to clear all thoughts. It amazed her that suddenly everything around her provided distractions. She could hear her lord breathing, the sounds of the chair scraping as Poledra adjusted herself, and the sound of the birds outside the window. Rin squeezed her eyes shut, taking another deep breath in frustration. The little girl clasped Sesshomaru's hand tightly. Holding her breath, Rin let it out slowly, feeling her body relax.
 
A light whisper filled Rin's mind and she felt something brush against it. As she let it wash over her, the little girl noticed a greedy tendency. The more Rin accepted this feeling filling her mind, the more she realized this was one of the thought processes that Poledra wanted her to learn. She took a deep breath and immersed herself further.
 
The longer the thought repeated, the more she could ascertain distinct qualities that made it unique. She sensed that this thought process viewed things diplomatically. It had a sensibility to it which led to a stubborn skepticism of all unexplainable things. This thought enjoyed haggling and would be shrewd to get the best profit possible. Rin could tell that it, to an extent, was vain and concerned with how others viewed it. Along with that was a strong hierarchy and this thought strove to move higher up within it. Poledra's thought whispered into the vaults of her mind, “Tolnedran thought.”
 
The thought changed and while the elements of hierarchy remained, it seemed stiffer, more reserved. Here, rank centered itself around a militaristic ideal as opposed to the greed found in the Tolnedran thought. Because of this, there tended to be a precision and calculating nature, which made this mind wary and appear aloof.
 
As polite as it seemed, Rin detected a cruel, malicious streak coursing throughout. It may have been diplomatic, but that only extended so far. Generally, Rin felt that it was a sensible and practical mind that would only resort to that cruelty when pushed. Poledra said, “Malloreon.”
 
Replacing that thought was an unsophisticated one. For all the precision and culture of the prior mind, this one lacked everything that made that one refined. It was wild and uncivilized, very crude in its nature. As preoccupied as the Malloreon thought was with tact, this one no interest in it. There was a brutality and simplicity that hinted at a warlike mentality. This mind was the unruliest and roughest thus far, and it bordered on barbaric. It seemed primitive in some respects, a savage undertone to this mind. Poledra said, “Karandese thought.”
 
Rin clenched her teeth together as an aggressive thought assaulted her. Its arrogance washed over her repeatedly and the little girl found this harshness most uninviting. This mind had a cold fanaticism about it, unflinching in its savage drive to make war on those it believed to be enemies. She felt a twisted and calculated ruthlessness that allowed no mercy to those enemies.
 
Rin noticed a secretive nature underneath its cruelty. It flowed through it, providing a foundation for the other characteristics. The little girl comprehended that it held itself aloof from outsiders, disdaining them as inferior. It exhibited a zealous infatuation with purity, particularity in its racial stock. As the malicious thought ebbed, Poledra said, “Murgo. Do not confuse it with the next one, Rin. While they may appear to be very similar, they are quite different.”
 
Rin tensed as a hateful thought assailed her. It repulsed her in its hostility and disdain towards its supposed inferiors. This mind found satisfaction in dominating others. The little girl recoiled from its twisted fascination with violence. Its fierce cruelty was off-putting. Rin felt revulsion as the thought bombarded her repeatedly. It emitted a cold-blooded nature, one that left no room for mercy whatsoever. Nonetheless, Rin understood that it concerned itself with a hierarchy of some sort. The higher the position, the more power and she sensed its lust for more. Poledra identified this vicious thought, “Grolim.”
 
The feeling of dread faded and Rin sighed. She could feel her lord's arm slip around her shoulders and a sense of security came over her. As she relaxed, Rin pushed aside the Grolim thought, clearing her mind. She took a few deep breaths as another thought flowed against her, this time filled with humility. It lacked the aggression and cruelty that radiated from the previous two, replaced by a generous and hospitable nature.
 
There was a sobriety, a sense of duty, and a strong practicality about it. However, because of this practicality, a stubborn sensibility made it skeptical of anything out of the ordinary. In this mind's undercurrent resided a diligence and emphasis on good work. Rin observed that it elevated ethics and honesty above all else. Tolerance and respect proved to be another cornerstone of this mind's character. She sensed that modesty and civility by an adherence to a polite and proper code of conduct concerned this thought. Poledra whispered, “Sendar.”
 
She felt another thought brush against her, this one solemn and serious. Rin perceived a fierce nature held back by an unyielding restraint. Coinciding with this was a sober modesty and honor and the little girl noticed that this thought exhibited a strong honesty and moral character. There seemed to Rin a steadfast loyalty to a single entity, a leader or king perhaps.
 
Weighing this thought down was a great burden and duty with a strange desire to protect something important. She sensed a grim resolve to fulfill that task, one she surmised was the collective thought of the community it belonged to. Whatever it was, Rin could ascertain that this mind would continue its duty for however long it would take. Poledra's thought whispered, “Rivan.”
 
As that thought faded, another one followed. There was a strong resolve and an unwillingness to bend even against unsurmountable odds. While violent and fierce, it displayed a good humored and joviality within its disposition. And although impatient and rowdy, this mind had a hidden shrewd cleverness about it. Rin sensed a group identity, a common foundation, and similarities as the thought filled her mind.
 
It seemed that there were three separate identities that blended into one and each had their own distinct characteristics. One thread rooted itself in a boisterous and warlike manner. Another was reserved and formal. The third expressed a cunning and courage. While each separate branch of this thought had differences, they all found their origin in a fortitude and friendliness. Poledra's thought communicated, “Alorn.”
 
The thought changed, a strange possessiveness saturating it. Rin perceived a serious and somber overtone, laced with a rigid discipline. Backing that discipline was a pronounced stubbornness and Rin felt strength and power that spoke of a stout will. Unlike the preceding thoughts, a great patience flowed throughout. The little girl sensed that this thought's perception of time differed as well, almost indifferent to its passage.
 
She detected vast wisdom, and yet Rin perceived a curious nature within its consciousness. A calm self-assurance infused with poise and grace filled this mind, matched with an unwavering resolve to protect what belonged to it. Rather than seeing itself as an individual, this thought was concerned with community and its place within it. Most of all, Rin comprehended that honesty, honor, and duty consumed it. Everything else that made this mind distinct found its root in these three concepts. Poledra's thought communicated its identity, “Dog demon.”
 
Rin opened her eyes, glancing up towards her lord. She smiled wide at Sesshomaru, as he rested his hand onto her cheek.. She noticed a strange awe filling his face and that his gold eyes searched her brown. Rin leaned into his touch before easing her head onto his shoulder. His arm encircled her waist, pulling her close. The little girl threw her arms around his torso, hugging him tight.
 
Rin nuzzled her nose into his shoulder, and sighed softly, relishing in his embrace. His hand rubbed circles onto her back, and she slipped into his lap, burrowing her face into his chest. She had always known how beautiful he was on the outside. Now that she had seen his beauty on the inside, she felt that much closer to her lord. She couldn't have imagined his mind being anything else.
 
Poledra's thought echoed in her mind, “Rin, we have only a couple more to go. I know it's a lot to take in at once, but you're doing really well. Come back, dear.”
 
Rin pouted against the silk of her lord's haori. Slowly, she slid out of his grasp and resumed sitting cross legged. Her eyes fluttered shut and she cleared her mind again, allowing the thoughts to wash over her. This time she felt a need to adhere to tradition. She could tell this mind made all efforts to remain polite. It had no desire to offend others and would do anything to prevent it. A strict formality coursed through out, making this thought the most reserved out of the ones the wolf-woman had shown her.
 
Harmony appeared to be a major concern and alongside that cooperation with others was a goal. This mind also thought of itself within the context of a group and was concerned with its duty to others. It felt graceful and honorable. Respect was paramount to this mind, the undercurrent of all its other traits. Poledra whispered in Rin's mind, “Japanese. Your thoughts are like these, Rin.”
 
As the thought shifted, Rin observed that this one was conflicted. It seemed to blend between the two previous thoughts, fluctuating back and forth, in a struggle to find its rightful place. It lacked a sense of belonging and had a desire for acceptance from both thoughts. A bitter loneliness flowed throughout, backed by a contemptuous self-loathing, and the little girl sensed that it kept its distance by appearing standoffish. Nonetheless, Rin detected a strong survival instinct.
 
This mind, too, saw time differently, almost brushing it off as unimportant. At its core, however, was a strong sense of community. It had a fierce possessive streak that drove this thought to protect others, especially those it valued and cherished. Above all else, this thought valued honor and emphasized a strong adherence to duty. Rin understood that it believed these to be its most prized qualities, which gave it the strong resolve to keep others safe. Poledra said, “Half-dog demon. Okay, now I'm going to go through them again and I want you to tell me which one they are, alright?”
 
Rin took a few deep breaths, allowing the thoughts to flow over her again. They switched slowly at first, cycling through. She could feel them brush, each one distinct. As she meditated, Rin began to notice the differences much quicker. Invading her vision was faint hints of color as each thought flashed by. She began to identify the feelings with the colors. A glossy black and twisted arrogance filled her mind and Rin said, “Grolim.”
 
She could see a faint green as she felt the sense of practicality and duty. Rin said aloud, “Sendar.” As time went by, Rin found it much easier and the colors to be more prevalent. A deep blue crossed her vision and Rin said, “Rivan.” Then a dull black, “Murgo.” Next a bright red crossed her mind, “Tolnedran.” After that, she saw an orange.”Karand.” A turquoise replaced it, “Alorn.” Violet filled her sight and the little girl said, “Malloreon.” Rin saw a brilliant yellow, “Japanese.”
 
She froze when she could match the patience and calm to a dazzling gold. It reminded her so much of her lord's eyes and she hesitated in her answer, awed by the color. Rin said, wonder in her soft response, “Dog demon.”
 
The next thought, tinged with bitterness and possessiveness, a meld of the two thoughts proceeding it, was a dark honey or amber. Rin said, “Half-dog demon.”
 
“Open your eyes, Rin,” The wolf-woman said aloud. The little girl did so to see Poledra's wide smile. “You have learned that exceptionally well. You grasped that rather quickly. We shall continue. Now that you know what a mind looks like, you can feel around for what people are around you and identify them. This will also give you the ability to communicate with them by thought alone.”
 
Rin bit her lip. She looked up towards her lord, her eyes locking onto his. She noticed that Sesshomaru's eyes were wide and he had a perplexed expression. The little girl glanced back towards Poledra. She asked, “I can talk to others with my thoughts?”
 
“Yes. It's a bit more complicated, but since you have certainly learned each race's thoughts so well, I think you'll be able to learn it now. It comes in handy and will also make you much quieter when you use your Will. It will muffle it. Would you like to try?” Poledra sat cross-legged on the chair, her hands on her knees. “You can choose between myself or your pack-leader. We shouldn't startle someone not expecting it.”
 
Rin chewed her thumbnail as she debated between Poledra or Sesshomaru. She knew that the wolf-woman had already communicated with her by thought alone. Rin was uncertain how her lord would react if she were to do the same with him. She felt his hand grip hers, squeezing gently. “Rin can talk to Sesshomaru-sama like that?”
 
Poledra nodded. “Certainly, Rin. You can talk with anyone you like this way. You might want to ask your pack-leader first, however.”
 
The little girl bit her lip, her eyes trained on a sunspot crossing the floor. “I don't know, Poledra-sama.”
 
Sesshomaru interlaced their fingers and leaned in. He whispered into her ear, “This Sesshomaru would be pleased if you tried.”
 
Rin gasped, lifting her eyes to meet the Demon Lord's. She asked softly, “You would, Sesshomaru-sama?”
 
“Yes.” His eyes searched hers. “This Sesshomaru would.”
 
Rin smiled shyly at him. “Okay. Rin will try.” She looked towards Poledra. “How, Poledra-sama? How do I talk to Sesshomaru-sama that way?”
 
“You know what your pack-leader's mind looks like. All you have to do is search for his mind with your own and you'll be able to speak with him telepathically.” Poledra's gold eyes held satisfaction. “Go ahead. I know you can do it, Rin.”
 
Rin nodded. “Okay.” She gently squeezed Sesshomaru's hand. Her eyes closed and the little girl sent her thought out, probing to see what was around her. She brushed against various minds, mostly violet, some turquoise, others yellow, until she saw the brilliant gold that formed her lord's mind. It filled her vision and she whispered silently in her mind, “Sesshomaru-sama?”
 
The Demon Lord gasped audibly. His voice sounded distorted as he replied, “How?” It had a strange duality to it and Rin realized he had spoken aloud as well. “Rin?”
 
Yes, it's Rin, Sesshomaru-sama,” the little girl said. “Rin did it.”
 
How?” His voice still held the dual tone and it echoed.
 
Rin smiled and said, “Sesshomaru-sama, you echo.”
 
Echo? How does this Sesshomaru echo?” His thought and voice replied simultaneously. “I don't understand.”
 
Poledra's soft, warm laughter reached Rin's ears. “You echo because you're replying aloud. You don't have to. Just think what you want to say, Sesshomaru. Rin will hear you.”
 
The room fell silent for a moment before Rin heard Sesshomaru's clear voice inside her mind. “How, Rin? How is it possible?”
 
Rin said, “I just found your mind and sent my thought to you, Sesshomaru-sama. Just like Poledra-sama taught me.”
 
This Sesshomaru does not understand. How did you find my mind?”
 
I know what it looks and feels like.”
 
Sesshomaru squeezed her hand. “Open your eyes, Rin.”
 
Rin did as told, glancing up at her lord. She shifted on the bed so she sat facing Sesshomaru. Their eyes met and she smiled. “Is that better, Sesshomaru-sama?”
 
Much.” Sesshomaru's brow furrowed and a small frown crossed his lips. Rin noticed that his gold eyes swirled with wonder. He asked, “What does this Sesshomaru's mind look like?”
 
Rin searched his puzzled eyes. She pursed her lips and said, “Gold. Just like your eyes, Sesshomaru-sama.”
 
And yours, Rin?”
 
Mine is yellow.” She smiled shyly.
 
The sound of the chair being pushed in disturbed the silence of the room. Rin broke her eye contact with her lord. The wolf-woman shook her head. “Rin, I think that will be enough for now.” She nodded her head towards them. “You'll be able to talk together like this anytime you like now.” Rin heard a soft whisper, “One is proud of you, Rin. You have progressed well. I will have another lesson with you soon.” She exited the room, leaving the Demon Lord and the little girl alone.
 
Rin?”
 
Rin faced her lord, replying, “Sesshomaru-sama?”
 
How do you see the colors? What do they look like?”
 
Rin shrugged. “I just do, Sesshomaru-sama. At first all I had was feelings and then I began to notice colors. Each one is different.”
 
And this Sesshomaru is gold.”
 
Yes.” She smiled wide at him, her eyes meeting his. “It's like nothing else I've ever seen.” Rin blushed, looking down at their joined hands.
 
Sesshomaru squeezed her hand before cupping her chin in his hand. He tilted her head up. “This Sesshomaru is glad you could share this with him. It pleases me to see you learn so well what the wolf-woman teaches you.” He slipped his arm around her waist, pulling her flush against his strong chest. “Do not feel that you cannot share any of this with this Sesshomaru. I want to understand.”
 
Okay, Sesshomaru-sama.” Rin hugged him, resting her head onto his shoulder. She slid into his lap, her eyes closing as she snuggled closer to Sesshomaru. Rin brushed her nose under his chin. “If Sesshomaru-sama wants to know something, Rin will try to her best to answer.”
 
Good.” Sesshomaru rested his chin on top of her head. He threaded his fingers through her hair. “Rin, when we were in the garden, the one where you made a flower crown for this Sesshomaru, what happened between you and the birds?”
 
Between Rin and the birds, Sesshomaru-sama?” Rin snuggled closer. “The birds were very nice. They helped Rin make your flower crown by showing her the best flowers and where to find them.”
 
How did the birds help you, Rin? How were they able to show you the flowers?” Sesshomaru shifted and his legs wrapped around her, holding Rin to his strong body. Rin felt his fur slip around her. “This Sesshomaru is curious.”
 
They talked to Rin.” The little girl relished in the closeness, both physically and mentally, to her lord. She could feel his strong form surround her and the dazzling gold of his mind filled her vision. She sighed in contentment.
 
Talked to you?” Sesshomaru brushed his cheek against her hair. “How? Did they talk to you like we are now?”
 
No. They just talked and Rin could understand them. The birds seemed to like helping.” Rin smiled against the silk of his haori. “The birds were very proud of their garden. Rin liked their suggestions, especially the ones the sparrows made. They were very nice.”
 
Sparrows?”
 
Yes. The sparrows gave me the yellow rose because I gave them some seeds. He told me they needed them for their babies.”
 
I see. What else did they talk about?”
 
They asked Rin if she could fly. They didn't understand why I had never tried it.” Rin giggled. “The birds are funny that way, Sesshomaru-sama. They think we're silly for walking. They asked if you could fly, too.”
 
They asked if this Sesshomaru could fly?”
 
Yes. They think everyone should fly.”
 
Interesting.” Sesshomaru brushed his hand against her shoulder as he tucked his fur tightly around her. “Did you like talking to the birds?”
 
Rin nodded. “Yes. Rin liked the birds very much. They were very nice.”
 
That pleases this Sesshomaru. Did they talk about anything else?” Sesshomaru tucked her hair behind an ear.
 
The hummingbirds talked a lot about flowers. They like roses and morning glories best.” Rin felt warm and secure. She burrowed further, hugging Sesshomaru more. “They said they liked lilies and cherry-blossoms, too.”
 
I see.”
 
A knock on the door disturbed the quiet room and Sesshomaru disentangled himself from Rin. She felt a small emptiness as the connection broke. The Demon Lord opened the door, revealing Inuyasha, Kagome, and Shippo on the other side. It didn't escape the little girl's notice that the fox kit hid behind Inuyasha's head, peeking around the hanyou's red hood. He was perched on Inuyasha's shoulder.
 
Sesshomaru nodded. “Half-breed.”
 
“Rise and shine, jackass.” Inuyasha grunted as Kagome elbowed him.
 
Kagome glared darkly at her mate before smiling warmly at Sesshomaru. “Good morning, Sesshomaru, Rin. I hope you slept well.”
 
“We have.” Sesshomaru nodded. “Half-breed, what do you want?”
 
Inuyasha shrugged and Shippo hid further into the half-demon's silver hair. “Ask Kagome. It was her idea.”
 
“Well, we want to go shopping and we wanted to know if you and Rin were interested in joining us.” Kagome leaned in and whispered something to her lord that Rin couldn't hear. “So, would you like to come along?”
 
Sesshomaru pursed his lips. He glanced over his shoulder at the little girl. “Rin?”
 
Rin nodded. “Can we, Sesshomaru-sama?”
 
Sesshomaru sighed. He turned back towards Kagome and Inuyasha. “This Sesshomaru and Rin shall go with, then.”
 
“Great. Are you two ready?”
 
“Give us a moment.”
 
“We'll wait right here.”
 
Sesshomaru nodded and closed the door. He bent down to pick up his armor, carrying it to the bed. Rin grabbed her travel dress from its peg, disappearing behind a dressing screen. She quickly stripped out of her night-yukata. Rin tugged her dress on, tying the bodice shut. The little girl peeked around the screen at Sesshomaru. He slipped into his armor and his slender fingers struggled to tie it to his lithe frame. Rin shook her head and rejoined him on the bed. She gently pushed his hand away, whispering into his mind, “Let Rin.”
 
Sesshomaru's hand dropped and Rin finished the task. As soon as his armor was in place, he pulled his shoes on and Rin followed suit. Once that was complete, the Demon Lord slipped his fur back into place on his shoulder. He looked down at Rin, the faintest of smiles on his lips. He whispered back, “Thank-you.” Aloud, Sesshomaru said, “Let us go, Rin.”
 
They entered the hall, and Rin hid a small smile behind her hand. Shippo sat on top of Inuyasha's head, his tan overcoat draped over the hanyou's eyes. Inuyasha grunted. “Oi, whelp. He won't hurt you. Now get off of my head already, damn it. I can't see.”
 
“Are you sure he won't, he won't hurt me?” Shippo's voice quavered. He ducked behind Inuyasha's head as the Demon Lord passed. He peeked around the red hood, his coat still hanging over the hanyou's face. “I don't know---”
 
“Feh. Damn it, you're pinching my ears. Get off.” Inuyasha pried the little boy off his head and shoved him into Kagome's arms. “No, runt. He won't hurt you. Don't be stupid. As if I'd let that happen. I can take that stuff ass on any day.”
 
Rin shook her head as she passed the trio. The fox kit's behavior towards her lord amused her. She knew that Sesshomaru had no interest in hurting Shippo so the little boy's reactions always perplexed her. Rin caught up to the Demon Lord, slipping her hand into his as they made their way downstairs. She glanced up at him, catching the slight smile. She whispered, “They're funny, aren't they, Sesshomaru-sama.”
 
Sesshomaru's only answer was a soft snort. The Demon Lord signaled for her to stop with a gentle squeeze to her hand. They waited for Inuyasha, Kagome, and Shippo to exit the inn before following them into the bustling city. People crowded the streets and Rin felt Sesshomaru's grip tighten on her hand. Everyone seemed to be in a rush to get to their destinations. Rin noticed that many had sour expressions as they shuffled through the dusty streets.
 
Inuyasha and Kagome fell into the lead by Polgara and Durnik. Shippo sat on Kagome's shoulder as they journeyed towards the market. The half-demon held Kagome's hand, his expression wary. Rin looked up towards Sesshomaru, catching the same cautiousness on his face. Glancing behind her, the little girl noticed that Ce'Nedra, Velvet, Silk, Miroku, and Sango followed them.
 
Inuyasha grumbled, “Why did we have to come out here again, Kagome?”
 
“You know why. It won't be that bad. Try to enjoy yourself, okay?”
 
“Feh.”
 
The monk and thief stopped in front of a store. The monk called out, “Inuyasha, we're going to go into this shop. We'll catch up.”
 
Inuyasha muttered, “Whatever.”
 
Ce'Nedra tugged on Sango's arm, dragging her into another store. She called, “Lady Polgara, we'll meet you back at the inn! I must take Sango to this store!”
 
“Alright, dear, but don't get too caught up.”
 
Velvet called out, “Wait for me, Ce'Nedra.”
 
The rest of the group continued down the street, passing several store fronts. As they drifted further into the market, more and more men shouted the types of wares they offered. There were carpets, spices, silks, tapestries, and several other goods on display. Men held up some of their items, trying to entice buyers to enter their shops. The street became increasingly crowded and Rin pressed herself closer to Sesshomaru. She had no desire to get separated in this mob.
 
They stopped, allowing three men on horseback to pass. As they waited, a shrill bird cry could be heard. Rin turned in its direction, looking up to see an enormous raven perched a top a store sign. It cried again and the little girl heard, “Rin!” It stared down at her from its roost, the sunlight glinting off of its black, beady eyes. It cried her name again before launching itself into the air. Rin stared after it until she felt a tug on her hand, drawing her out of her stupor.
 
“Rin,” Sesshomaru called. He had a small frown on his face. “Come.”
 
Rin nodded as she stared at the sign the raven had sat upon a moment ago. It had the image of some grapes and a goblet pictured upon it. Rin turned her back to it and followed her lord into the small shop. Inside, several necklaces hung from jewelry trees. On some shelves sat some sculpted hands wearing some rings and bracelets. Some were silver, some gold, and others had various gem stones.
 
One of the necklace trees caught the little girl's eye and she let go of Sesshomaru's hand to look through it. Various pendants hung from the chains and Rin sifted through them. She noticed some of them were butterflies or birds, others flowers, and still more had strange creatures. The majority of the charms were made out of a gray pewter, the details on each exquisite. The little girl turned the tree, looking through more of them.
 
She stopped when she saw a dragon. Its large wings were spread wide and a tendril of flame spurted from its mouth. Although it looked nothing like Ah-Un, it made Rin think of the two-headed dragon nonetheless. She looked over her shoulder to show the necklace to Sesshomaru only to realize that the Demon Lord was no longer there. Rin glanced around, spotting him next to a rack of bracelets, standing next to Kagome. He looked mildly irritated and bored. Rin shrugged, and continued examining the necklaces.
 
A boy's voice drew her attention away from them. It cracked, a slight squeak to it as it warbled between a high tenor and a low baritone. The boy said, “Hello there. Do you see something you like?”
 
Rin turned around, looking at him. He was slightly taller than her. His dark hair was unruly and dirty. On his cheeks were smears of dirt. The boy wore a soiled yellow knee-length tunic with a bright orange rope as a belt. The hilt of a knife stuck out of it. She wrinkled her nose at his foul odor. Rin looked down to the floor, replying softly, “Hello.” Not wanting to be rude, the little girl asked, “How are you?”
 
“I'm well.” He smiled, revealing slightly yellowed teeth. Rin gulped and held her breath as the boy's putrid one drifted towards her. He said, another crack in his voice, “You seem to be new here. I don't think I've ever seen you before. My name is Kelleth. And yours?”
 
Rin kept her eyes trained on the floor. She wished this boy would leave her alone. The little girl wanted to look through the necklaces undisturbed. Most of all, she wanted to be with her lord. She would do almost anything to get away from this stench. She said, “It's nice to meet you, Kelleth-sama. My name is Rin.”
 
“The pleasure is all mine.” He smiled wide, stepping a little closer. “Rin. That's a lovely name. I like it.”
 
Rin took a step back only to find herself cornered against the counter. She felt a few of the necklaces brush against her shoulder and heard the scraping of wood against wood. Her hand shot out in an attempt to prevent the jewelry tree from crashing to the floor. Her eyes went wide as Kelleth's hand joined hers, resting on it. The little girl blushed. She whispered, “Thank-you, Kelleth-sama.”
 
Kelleth laughed, a raspy wheeze to it that grated on Rin's ears. His voice squeaked again as he said, “It's no trouble.” His eyes scanned over her petite frame and a small smile crossed his lips. He said, “I like that dress. It matches your eyes well.” He held out the dragon necklace, the pendant dangling from his hand. “I think this would complete your outfit, though.”
 
Rin looked around the shop, desperately looking for the Demon Lord. The little girl groaned inwardly as she noticed his back was turned as he looked over some of the store's wares. Rin bowed her head towards Kelleth. She said, “Thank-you. I like your outfit, too.” While that couldn't be farther from the truth, Rin wouldn't forget her manners. She said, “I was only looking.”
 
“How about this, I'll buy you this necklace if you tell me why you keep calling me Kelleth-sama.” He smiled and Rin noticed that his teeth were crooked as well. A blush crossed her cheeks and he said, “I think it's cute. Just like everything about you, Rin.”
 
Rin's eyes went wide and she gasped. Heat filled her face and she bit her lip. “It---it is? I am?”
 
“Yes.” The boy held the necklace up. The dragon twirled in the air. “Well, do we have a deal? Just why do you keep calling me Kelleth-sama?”
 
Rin lifted her eyes, looking into Kelleth's face. She glanced away, down towards the wooden floor. “It's what I was taught to do when talking to others. It's to show respect.”
 
The little girl tried to move away by sliding down the counter. She kept her eyes trained on Sesshomaru as he held up a bracelet. Kagome stood next to him, pointing at it. Her lord's attention was entirely diverted and she would have used what the wolf-woman had taught her earlier that morning to call the Demon Lord's attention, but she felt uncomfortable doing so in front of all these people. If only she could find a way to escape and return to Sesshomaru's side.
 
Kelleth moved closer, resting a hand onto her shoulder. Rin found it difficult not to gag. The boy's odor was absolutely awful. He said, “You seem to have some strange customs, Rin. I like that.” Kelleth followed her as she tried to move away. He trapped Rin into a dim corner. The boy smiled. “I see you already have a necklace. Were you looking for a new one?”
 
Rin fingered the chain at her throat. She drew the silver disc out, clasping it. The little girl glanced down at her amulet, her thumb brushing against the chiseled form of her lord etched into its surface. She lifted her head, looking at Kelleth. “You mean this, Kelleth-sama?”
 
“Yeah.” He moved closer. “Mind if I see it?”
 
A blush crossed Rin's cheeks. “I don't know.”
 
“I'm not going to steal it or anything. I promise to give it right back.” Kelleth removed his hand from her shoulder, exposing his palm. “So, will you let me see it, Rin?”
 
Rin looked back down at her amulet. She shook her head. “I---I can't.”
 
“Why not?”
 
Rin squeezed her hand into a fist around it. “It---it doesn't come off.
 
“Doesn't come off? All necklaces can come off.” Kelleth frowned. “Does it have something to do with your strange customs again?”
 
The little girl nodded. “Yes, Kelleth-sama.”
 
The boy shrugged. “That's alright.” He held up the dragon necklace. “I can still buy you this if you like.”
 
Rin shook her head. “No. That's alright. I was only looking. You don't have to do that.”
 
“Just let me know if you change your mind, then.” Kelleth stepped closer, blocking any escape. “So, how old are you?” Kelleth moved closer and Rin found it difficult not to gag. The boy's odor was absolutely awful.
 
Rin shrunk into the corner until she was flush against the wall. She said, “I'm nearly twelve.”
 
“Twelve, huh. I'm fourteen.” He took one of her hands into his, interlacing their fingers. “You sure don't look twelve.”
 
Rin wrinkled her nose. She tried to pry her hand away only to feel Kelleth's grip tighter. “I---I don't?”
 
“No. You look about my age in that pretty dress.” Kelleth smiled. “Hey, Rin, would you like it if I showed you around the city? I know it's a military city, but Mal Rakuth can be nice. So, want to come?”
 
Rin bit her lip. She noticed that there was a hopeful look in the boy's dark eyes. Rin blushed. She didn't know how to get herself out of this situation without being rude. If she was rude, that would displease her lord, but so would going with Kelleth. Out of the corner of her eye, Rin saw Kagome standing alone by some bracelets, unaware of her dilemma. She couldn't say where Polgara, Durnik, Inuyasha, or Shippo had gone. Sesshomaru still had his back to her. He was farther down the counter, looking at the rings with an indifferent expression.
 
“Well? Do you want to go with me, Rin?” Kelleth called her attention. His expression looked expectant and Rin cringed. She had no desire to go with this young man anywhere what so ever. “Most don't know about it, but there is this beautiful garden here. We can go for a walk there if you like.”
 
Rin looked down at the floor and sighed. How would she get herself out of this without hurting Kelleth's feelings? She pressed herself against the wall, rising on her toes in a desperate act to get away from his stench. He stepped closer and Rin glanced up towards his hopeful face. He squeezed her hand again. The little girl said, “I don't know, Kelleth.”
 
“It'll be nice. I'm sure you'll like it if you'd let me take you there.” Kelleth smiled shyly, a small blush crossing his sullied cheeks.
 
Rin attempted to pull her hand away again, only to have his grip tighten. She said, “I would, but---”
 
A soft growl greeted the little girl's ears and she felt Kelleth's hand let go as he was roughly pushed aside. She felt a strong arm grip her around the waist, pulling her against a firm chest. A deep voice snarled, “Mine.”
 
Kelleth cried out, “Hey, what's the idea! We were just talking. What did you push me for?”
 
Rin looked up into Sesshomaru's enraged face. Red started to bleed into the gold of his eyes. His grip tightened around her waist, and the Demon Lord growled at Kelleth. Sesshomaru bared his fangs at him and the boy shook with fear. He snarled again, “Mine.”
 
“What's the big deal! You didn't have to push me into the counter like that.” The boy, seeming to recover from his fear, pointed at Sesshomaru and his voice squeaked as he began to shout. Kelleth's hand was on the hilt of his dagger. “If Rin wants to talk to me, you should let her. You ignored her the whole time she was in this store. I saw her first!
 
Sesshomaru's red eyes narrowed in fury. He growled as his grip tightened on Rin's waist. The Demon Lord's voice became gruff as he snapped, “Mine.”
 
“Rin and I were having a good time talking. It's not like you own her or anything!” Kelleth challenged.
 
Sesshomaru's hand shot out, gripping the boy around the throat. Rin gasped, realizing the Demon Lord intended to kill him. Kelleth's breath gurgled in his throat as Sesshomaru's grip tightened. He strained against the Demon Lord. The little girl could see his claws take on a green hue and she knew he would poison Kelleth any minute. Rin grasped her lord's arm, crying out, “Sesshomaru-sama, please don't!”
 
Sesshomaru let go of Kelleth only to pull Rin flush against his chest. He growled, baring his fangs. The Demon Lord glared at the boy, his red eyes feral. Sesshomaru's rough voice hissed, “Mine.”
 
“You just tried to kill me, didn't you.” His voice squeaked as it cracked in fear. Kelleth clutched his throat, gasping for air. The boy leaned over, trying to catch his breath. The Demon Lord gnashed his teeth together, growling low in his throat. “Okay, I get it already. Just don't hurt me again. Please.” Sesshomaru snarled again and Kelleth's eyes went wide in terror. He whimpered before bolting out the door, into the busy streets.
 
Rin had never seen her lord act this way. The boy had done nothing but talk to her. Why would he react this way? She wanted to know. Rin couldn't possibly imagine what had upset her lord so much. She really hadn't liked talking to Kelleth, but he hadn't tried to hurt her. It just didn't make any sense to Rin. Why would Sesshomaru lash out like this? She whispered, “Sesshomaru-sama?” 
The Demon Lord turned enraged red eyes towards her and sniffed her hair. Glancing around the shop, Sesshomaru growled softly to ward any one else away. He crushed the little girl against his firm body, and growled into Rin's ear, “Mine.”
 
Rin lifted her head, looking up into the Demon Lord's feral eyes. She reached her hand up, brushing it against one of his stripes. She was confused and uncertain of why her lord had lashed out this way. Rin didn't understand what he had meant. She heard such possessiveness in his voice as he said that single word. The little girl wasn't certain what he meant when he said it, but she knew he had to calm down. She gently rubbed his stripes. Rin probed with her mind, whispering into his, “Sesshomaru-sama?”
 
Sesshomaru's tense frame relaxed and the red began to recede. The others in the store had stopped shopping to stare at them until he glared in their direction, baring his fangs. He glanced down at her and pulled her closer. The Demon Lord burrowed his nose into her hair and inhaled deeply. His eyes fell shut and he sighed.
 
Her lord's behavior made no sense to her. Why had he said that word to her? Just what did it mean? He had never said it that way to her before. Curious, Rin asked again, “Sesshomaru-sama?”
 
Sesshomaru whispered only one word in return. “Mine.”