Crossover Fan Fiction / InuYasha Fan Fiction ❯ The Journey to the City of Endless Night ❯ Chapter Fifty-Nine ( Chapter 59 )

[ X - Adult: No readers under 18. Contains Graphic Adult Themes/Extreme violence. ]

Chapter Fifty-Nine

“That'll be one gold token, my lady,” the shopkeeper said. “Might there be anything else you wish to purchase today?”

Kagome shook her head. “No, just the bracelet, thank-you.” She pulled the drawstrings on the silk coin purse hanging from her belt, opening it. Before they had left the inn, Polgara had shown her each coin's worth. Kagome pulled out a gold coin. “Here.”

The portly shopkeeper smiled wide, pocketing it. “Enjoy the bracelet then, my lady.”

“I will.” Kagome nodded. She held up the bracelet, looking at it closely. Gold and silver wires were delicately braided together with sapphires and emeralds spaced evenly apart. Kagome unhooked the claw clasp, laying it against her wrist. The gems reflected the dim light of the shop. Kagome smiled, knowing Rin would like the bracelet. She asked, “Would you mind wrapping this up for me?”

“Not a problem.” The shopkeeper wrapped the bracelet in tissue and placed it into a small, blue box with a small yellow bow. He handed it to Kagome and said, “Again, enjoy the bracelet, my lady.”

Kagome nodded. “Thank-you.” She turned and said, “Okay, Sesshomaru, we can---Sesshomaru?”

A low, menacing growl filled the shop, followed by a deep snarl. “Mine.”

Kagome turned around, her eyes widening at the sight before her. Sesshomaru held Rin flush against his chest, his lip pulled back into a vicious sneer. A young boy stood before the enraged Demon Lord, visibly shaking, although he had a hand on his dagger hilt. He shouted at Sesshomaru, “Hey, what's the idea! We were just talking. What did you push me for?”

Red flickered deep in the golden depths of Sesshomaru's eyes and Kagome feared he might kill the foolish boy. She wanted to call out, to distract him from his target, but found that her voice caught in her throat as she unconsciously held her breath. Unable to look away from the potentially violent scene brewing before her, Kagome saw the Demon Lord bare his fangs, and his grip tighten on the little girl. He snapped, “Mine.”

Gasping, Kagome realized the impact of the word Sesshomaru had used. She bit her lip, clutching the box that contained the bracelet tightly in her hands. Had the Demon Lord truly said that particular word? She may not have understood all the nuances of dog demon custom, but Kagome knew that the word “mine” held significant meaning, especially between mates. It was, after all, the first word Inuyasha had said to her after they had made love for the first time. Just what did it mean when Sesshomaru said it in reference to Rin? After all, she was still just a little girl. Kagome wondered if it possibly meant that the Demon Lord viewed Rin as his future mate.

The portly shopkeeper brought Kagome back to the situation as he called out, his voice wavering, “Hey! I don't want any trouble in my shop! I'll get the military if you don't break it up.”

Kagome stared in shock as Sesshomaru tightened his grip on the boy, his claws preparing to poison him. The boy struggled in Sesshomaru's iron grip, his hands clawing in a futile attempt to free himself. Kagome stood mesmerized, unsure of what action she should take. Someone had to stop him before he killed the young man. By now, however, there wasn't a lot anyone could do to stop Sesshomaru from murdering his prey. Kagome squeezed her hands around the box as she saw the first bit of venom tint his finger tips.

Rin gripped his arm and pleaded with the furious Demon Lord, “Sesshomaru-sama, please don't!”

Sesshomaru trained his crimson gaze upon Rin, and Kagome tensed, too stunned to move. She feared that the Demon Lord might turn on Rin next. His grip relaxed around the boy's neck, and he growled low in his throat, his eyes narrowed to slits. Rin squeezed his arm, trying to get him to let go. Kagome watched in horror as the Demon Lord bared his fangs at her. Sesshomaru dropped the boy unceremoniously to the floor, and pulled Rin close, his voice gruff as he hissed, “Mine.”

Waving his arms wildly, the shopkeeper yelled, his nasal voice trembling, “That's it! I told you to stop! I won't ask you two to break it up again. I'm going to get the military.”

As the boy pulled himself to stand, Sesshomaru glowered at him. The boy hunched over, wheezing as he sucked in air. The Demon Lord gnashed his teeth together, snarling, and the boy cowered before him, slowly backing away. He begged, “Okay, I get it already. Just don't hurt me again. Please.” The boy's eyes went wide in panic, and he whimpered.

“Hey! Stop terrorizing my customers!” The shopkeeper shouted. “Are you even listening to me!” He brushed against Kagome as he moved to cross the room. “Quit it!”

Jolting from her trance, Kagome pushed herself into the path of the shopkeeper, blocking him. She held one hand up, and said, her voice firm, “Stop, you really don't want to interfere.” Out of the corner of her eye, she saw the boy back down before fleeing the store. Even though he was gone, Sesshomaru remained tense, growling. Kagome was relieved that the boy had left, but she knew that the Demon Lord would be riled up if anyone else approached. She said, “If you go over there, it'll only get worse, believe me.”

“Young lady, what do you suggest I do?” The shopkeeper's beady eyes narrowed to slits. “Ignore that your friend just tried to kill another customer? I can't let open warfare reign in my shop.”

Kagome sighed. She said, “No, I'm not suggesting that at all, but I know him. You'll only make him more upset and that means more violence. You'll just have to trust me on this one.”

The shopkeeper snorted. He waved his arms as he leaned towards her, and he shouted, his jowls flapping, “He's driving away my customers with his behavior. Can't you do something to stop him? He's your friend, after all.”

Kagome shook her head. She saw a man and woman back out of the store, their eyes wide in shock. Sesshomaru glared at those who dared near the corner he and Rin stood in. She said, “The best thing to do is to let him calm down. You can't push him.” Kagome watched as Rin reached up, brushing her hand against Sesshomaru's cheek. A small smile crossed her lips as Kagome saw his eyes return to normal and his lithe frame relax. “Besides, I wouldn't worry about it anymore.”

“You wouldn't worry about it anymore? What are you talking about? He nearly went on a rampage.” The shopkeeper glared at her before looking towards Sesshomaru and Rin. He was about to say something when he saw that the Demon Lord had relaxed. Sesshomaru pulled Rin closer to his chest, his nose nuzzling her hair. His eyes fluttered shut, and he sighed. The shopkeeper snorted and said, “Well finally. Perhaps he won't drive the rest of my business away.”

“I told you that it'd be best to leave him alone.” Kagome sighed as she watched Sesshomaru glare at the remaining people in the store. She shook her head. “Honestly, I can't say what made him so angry. I'm sorry if he upset anyone. It's not like him, really. I don't know what's gotten into him.”

“Not like him, huh. How do I convince him to get out of my store?” The shopkeeper wiped his hands on his apron. “He still looks like he'll lose it at any moment.”

“I really wouldn't worry about that, either.”

“Oh really. And why not?”

Slowly, Sesshomaru and Rin crossed the store towards the door. The whole way, the Demon Lord bared his fangs at those who drew too close. He growled softly every so often, his gold eyes wary and wild. He held Rin against his side as they walked, the little girl keeping her eyes cast to the ground. Once they were at the door, Rin glanced back, her brown eyes connecting with Kagome's gold-flecked as they exited into the street.

Kagome turned, facing the shopkeeper. “I think that's the answer.” She smiled, holding up the box with the bracelet inside. “Again, thank you for this. I'm truly sorry if he upset anyone. I just know it would have been a lot worse if you had gone near him.” She bit her lip, trying to come up with an explanation. “He's not used to a lot of people being around.”

“So he's rural, a peasant, you mean?” The portly man looked skeptical.

“You---you could say that, I suppose.” Kagome nodded. She knew that Sesshomaru was no peasant, but the shopkeeper didn't need to know that. “I really should get going, before my ma---husband comes looking for me. I hope you'll accept my apologies for what happened.”

The shopkeeper's shoulders slumped. “I suppose I can't blame you for your friend. Just tell him how to act in a city next time, will you?”

“I'll try.” Kagome smiled, waving at the shopkeeper as she left. She went across the street towards the next store. A sign above the door pictured a red rose with “The Emperor's Crystal Rose” written in flowing script. Kagome entered, looking around for her mate. Inuyasha stood near the window, looking uninterested as he browsed the shelves holding exquisite glassware. Kagome called out, “Inuyasha, I'm here.”

“Oi. Finally, wench.” Inuyasha set a green vase down. “Are you done being a pest to my brother, yet?”

Kagome bit her lip, tapping her fingers on the jewelry box holding Rin's bracelet. She said, “You could say that I am, I suppose.”

“Oh?” Inuyasha looked up, one eyebrow raising. He glanced around the store. “Speaking of the jackass, where is he?”

Shippo peeked around Inuyasha's hood. “Yeah, where is Sesshomaru-sama?”

“I think he took Rin back to the inn.”

“You think? Didn't he tell you?” Inuyasha's brows knit together in worry and he frowned. “Is the pup alright? Did something happen?”

“Yeah, Rin's fine.” Kagome sighed. “Sesshomaru, on the other hand---”

“Feh.” Inuyasha crossed his arms, the folds of his haori hiding his hands. He snorted. “What could any of these silly humans do to him?”

Kagome mused on the event that had transpired in the jewelry shop, struggling to find an answer to Inuyasha's question. In all the time she had known the Demon Lord, Kagome couldn't remember seeing Sesshomaru so flustered. She still couldn't fathom what had set him off, although Kagome sensed it had something to do with the boy. How a young boy could provoke such a violent response eluded her. Whatever he had done, it had certainly elicited terrible anger from the Demon Lord.

Inuyasha tapped his barefoot onto the wooden floor. He asked, “Well? What happened, wench?”

Kagome answered, “Nothing, it's just that I think he got a little claustrophobic.”

“Claustro-what?” Inuyasha cocked his head to one side and blinked. “Can't you ever say anything that makes sense, wench?”

Kagome's shoulders sagged in defeat. She shook her head and sighed. “I think there were just too many people for him, that's all.”

“Why couldn't you just say that in the first place?” Inuyasha shook his head. An ear twitched underneath his hood. “I'm surprised, actually, that it took him this long to get all worked up. He's never been big on the human race. He merely tolerates humans, if you think about it. So, what happened, what set Sesshomaru off?”

Kagome frowned, knowing that couldn't possibly be true about Sesshomaru. Not with the way the Demon Lord held Rin so possessively, or the way he calmed from her gentle touch. “I wouldn't say that about him, necessarily.” Kagome ran her fingers over the smooth glass of a goblet with gold trim. “Well, I think a boy had something to do with upsetting your brother.”

“A boy?” Shippo's tail twitched underneath his coat. He crouched behind Inuyasha's head, clutching the hanyou's hood in tiny fists. “What did the boy do to make Sesshomaru-sama angry?”

“I'm not entirely sure, but I think it had something to do with Rin.” Kagome placed a finger to her chin. “Whatever he did, Sesshomaru sure didn't like it.”

“Something to do with the pup?” Inuyasha's eyes narrowed. “Was the boy trying to hurt her?”

“No, not really. I don't think the boy was doing anything like that, but I do know that your brother certainly didn't like him, Inuyasha.” Kagome deliberately omitted the fact that Sesshomaru had said the word “mine” during the ordeal. She didn't want to explain to Shippo what it might mean. Most of all, she didn't want Inuyasha prying into Sesshomaru's privacy. It would not do for the brothers to have another “discussion” as they had the last time Kagome told Inuyasha about Rin and Sesshomaru. Judging by the Demon Lord's behavior, it would be best not to pester him for the time being. She said, “I wouldn't worry too much about it.”

“Feh. I'm sure he took care of it.” Inuyasha tapped his fingers on a shelf. “Did he tell you he was going back to the inn, then?”

“Not in so many words, no. It's just a feeling that I have.” Kagome smiled. “Enough about your brother. Let's get some shopping done, shall we? I believe I promised someone we would shop together, all three of us, didn't I?”

Shippo smiled wide, crawling onto her shoulder. He nodded. “You did.” He pointed at the small blue box. “Just what did you get Rin, Kagome?”

Kagome opened the box, showing them the bracelet. “I think it's perfect, don't you?”

“Feh. It looks nice enough, I guess.” Inuyasha snorted, his ears twitching underneath his hood. “I'm sure the pup will like it. That's what counts, right?”

“Sesshomaru helped pick it out. In fact, I wouldn't have found it without him. He pointed it out,” Kagome said, while glaring at her mate. “I think it's very pretty. He has good taste.”

“Now what is that supposed to mean?” Inuyasha's eyes went wide.

“Nothing.” She handed the box to Shippo. “I thought it was the best one they had in the store.”

Shippo looked at it closely. He lifted it out of the tissue paper lining the box, holding it in his palm. “Yeah. It's really pretty.” He placed it back into the box and put the lid on. “I think Rin will really like it.”

Kagome accepted the box. She asked, “So, what are you going to get her, Inuyasha? Do you have any ideas?”

Inuyasha shrugged. He bit his lip, a fang peeking at one corner. “Feh. I don't know yet.”

“You're impossible, did you know that?” Kagome stood on her toes, kissing Inuyasha on the cheek. “You don't have any ideas at all?”

“Oi! Woman, not in the store!” A blush coated the hanyou's cheeks. He smiled shyly at her as smoky lust filled his gold eyes. Inuyasha looked away, sighing. “Nope. Not a clue. I haven't the slightest idea of where to start.”

Kagome looked around the store, noting the fine glassware that lined its shelves. “Have you liked anything in here, at all?”

“Feh.” Inuyasha yawned, scratching his chin. “Not really.”

“Nothing? At all?”

Shippo shook his head. “He's rejected just about everything in this store.”

Kagome groaned. “Inuyasha, there has to be at least one thing that you liked in this store.” She glanced around the shop, looking at the various items. There were vases, mugs, bottles, and delicate figurines. She moved closer to a shelf filled with glass sculptures, examining them. “Maybe she'd like some of these?”

Inuyasha joined her, his arms folded over his chest. “No. They're too frilly.”

“Come on, Inuyasha,” Kagome said. She spotted a fine silver rose in a crystal vase. It was open in full bloom, the edges of its petals gilded. The leaves were a dark green. “How about this one? It's beautiful.”

Inuyasha snorted. He looked at the rose, his nose wrinkling. He shook his head. “No. I don't like it. What would she do with it?”

Kagome sighed. “But Rin likes flowers. She'd love it and you know it.”

“Oi. I said I didn't like it, wench.” Inuyasha turned his back.

“There you are.” Polgara joined them. “Any luck finding anything?” She held a bolt of brown, and a bolt of powder blue cloth in her arms. “Durnik, be a dear and hold these for me, please?”

“Yes, Pol.” The smith accepted them from his wife. He nodded towards Kagome. “Want me to hold that for you so you don't have to worry about losing it?”

“Sure.” She set the small box on top of the bolts of cloth. “Thanks.”

“Well, dear, any luck?” Polgara arched an eyebrow.

“I pointed this beautiful rose out to Inuyasha, but he doesn't like it.” Kagome crossed her arms. “I can't imagine why. It's something Rin would like.” She looked again at the silver rose, running her fingertips gently over the glass petals. “I love the way the silver fills the center while gold coats its edges, don't you, Lady Polgara?”

“Yes, it certainly is an exquisite piece.” Her gray eyes became soft. “Well, Inuyasha, dear, might there be anything in this store that you like?”

“Feh. I just don't see what use the pup would have for it.” Inuyasha glanced over his shoulder. “It's not like she can wear it or anything.”

Shippo whispered into Kagome's ear, “He's said that about everything. He wants something practical for her, I think.”

Kagome nodded. “I see.” She glanced down at the rose, sighing. She said, “Maybe the next store, then, Inuyasha?” She reluctantly turned her back on the rose. “We don't have to get her something from this store, after all.”

Inuyasha shrugged. “Whatever, wench.”

“Well, shall we go onto the next store, then?” Polgara asked.

“What's the store next to this one, Lady Polgara?” Kagome asked. She slipped her hand into Inuyasha's, interlacing their fingers. She smiled as she caught his faint blush, and she gave his hand a gentle squeeze. “Would it have anything Rin might like?”

“Let's see, next door, I believe, is a nice candle shop. There might be something she'd like in it. It's at least worth a look.” Polgara smiled. “Well, Inuyasha, would you like to go there? You never know what you might find.”

Shippo nodded. He balanced himself on Kagome's right shoulder, tucking his coat behind him to hang down. He asked, “Can we, Inu---father?”

Inuyasha shrugged. “Alright. We'll go. The pup may have a use for a candle, more than she'd have for any of these frivolous things, that's for sure.”

Kagome smiled at him, leaning her head onto his shoulder. He squeezed her hand back, before slipping his arm around her waist. She said, “Well, let's go, then.”

They followed Polgara and Durnik back out into the busy streets. On this store's sign, a candle rested on a bed of leaves and vines which flowed into the name “The Illuminated Garden” in dark green script. Inside, shelves lined the store, candles of various sizes, shapes, colors, and styles filling them. At random intervals, a few candles were lit, providing a soft glow. Kagome surmised they had correctly named the store. She whispered, “It's beautiful. Don't you think so, Inuyasha?”

“Feh. Looks like a great way to start a fire, if you ask me.” Inuyasha glanced around the shop, a frown crossing his lips. His arm slid from her waist as he moved to look at the candles. “Oi. What the fuck is up with these stupid ribbon things?”

Kagome joined him, looking down at the candles. Flaring out from the sides of the candle were twisted, thin ribbons of striped wax. It added an elegant flair to the lavender candle. Next to it, Kagome noticed green, red, blue, and yellow, each with the same twist. Kagome picked one up, turning it over in her hands before setting it carefully back down. She said, “I think they look pretty like that.”

Shippo nodded from her shoulder. “Me too. I think they look really neat like that.”

Inuyasha snorted. He turned, and grumbled, “What is up with the twisty shit in all of these candles?” He pointed to another shelf, this time that held braided candles of various colors. He sighed, his ears drooping underneath his hood. “So far they're all too fancy. I don't want fancy, I want useful.”

“Well, Inuyasha, I'm sure Rin could still use them,” Kagome said. She traced her finger over the edge of one of the candles. “I think she'd like them.”

“That one with the ridiculous twisty things would drip and burn her. No.” Inuyasha crossed his arms, turning his nose up at them. “And those stupid braided ones would do the same damn thing. What's the point of getting those for the pup?”

Shippo shook his head and sighed. He whispered, “Maybe he'll find something in the next store.”

“Now you're just being difficult, Inuyasha.” Kagome sighed, throwing up her hands in frustration.

Polgara laughed softly. “He certainly is particular when he shops, I'll say.”

“More like infuriating,” Kagome muttered under her breath.

Inuyasha continued browsing the shelves. He made small grunts of disapproval, shaking his head. When he reached a shelf in the corner, he grumbled, “Oi. None of these will work. I don't like any of them. This one doesn't even look like a damn candle.”

Kagome joined him, resting a hand onto his shoulder. She looked down at the candles, noticing that these spiraled upwards from the base until they feathered out at the top, in thin arms of wax. They came in various sizes and colors, a strange grace to them. A couple were lit and Kagome saw that some of the wax hung over the flame, bending slightly from the heat. She sighed. “I'd have to agree with you on this one, Inuyasha. It's pretty, but I don't know how useful it'd be to Rin-chan.”

Durnik snorted. His plain face had a frown, and he shook his head. He picked up one of the spiral candles, his brown eyes looking over it critically. “I might not know a lot about candle making, but I must say, none of these look all that practical. I don't think I'd buy one, that's for sure.” He set that candle down and picked up one with three threads of wax intertwined together, each a different color. “This one would just make a mess if you tried to burn it, I think.”

The tall, thin shopkeeper glowered at them from behind the counter. His dark eyes narrowed and he crossed his arms. He turned his attention back to the customer in front of him, pointing out a few of the candles that Inuyasha had rejected. He shot them an irritated glare before turning his back on them. He said to his customer, “This candle will burn for a good nine hours if you use it properly. It'll add a nice style to your home, while providing useful light.”

Kagome shook her head and sighed. She linked her arm with Inuyasha's, and said, “I guess we'll have to try the next store, then.”

“I'd say so,” Polgara said. “If there isn't anything you like here, I suppose we'll have to see what the next store has to offer. Let's go and see what else the market has.”

“Feh. Whatever.” Inuyasha blushed, looking towards the floor. His bangs hid his eyes, and a soft smile crossed his face. Inuyasha looked up and snorted. “There's nothing in this store I want. Let's go.”

The group returned to the crowded streets. They passed a few men on horseback, a few military officers, and some women doing their daily shopping. Everyone looked disgruntled and unapproachable as they rushed to complete their tasks at the market. Kagome looked up at the signs, trying to pick a new store. She squeezed Inuyasha's arm, stopping him. “Look, let's go there.”

Inuyasha stopped, looking down at her, and asked, “Where, Kagome?”

“That one. The one that says “Moon Petal Delights” on it. It has to have something Rin will like, don't you think?” Kagome smiled up at him. “With a name like that, I'm sure of it.”

“Feh. Whatever, wench. We'll go take a look.” Inuyasha's nose wrinkled as they passed a small group of people shouting at one another. His ears were pinned to his head underneath his hood. “Anything to get the hell away from that.”

Shippo nodded. He scrambled back onto Inuyasha's shoulder, and held the sleeve of his coat to his nose. “Yeah. They're awfully loud and they smell bad, too.”

Kagome laughed softly. She whispered, “You're both adorable, my boys, did you know that?”

“We are not. We're not adorable. I don't know what's the matter with you, wench,” Inuyasha said, his eyes narrowed.

Kagome shook her head and smiled. “Nothing's the matter with me.”

“If you say so.”

She leaned her head onto Inuyasha's shoulder. “Well, let's go then.”

Polgara and Durnik nodded. The sorceress said, “Alright, it sounds like a good idea. It's at least worth a look, I suppose.”

“Moon Petal Delights” had a sign with a large full moon pictured on it. Inside the moon rested a white lily and in purple script read the name of the store. As they passed inside, Kagome looked around the hazy shop. In the middle of it was a small square island with bins resting on top of the counters. Above that, a sign read, “incense” and Kagome let go of Inuyasha's arm to investigate. There were different scented incense sticks inside and Kagome picked a few up, running them under her nose. One smelled of cinnamon, the other a rich pine. She placed them back, looking over the other bins.

A woman in a rich scarlet dress made of velvet smiled from behind the counter. “Do you see something you like, my lady?”

Kagome nodded. “These smell very nice.”

“You can buy them in any combination that you like. Mix and match them. They can set any mood.” She pushed her dark wavy hair behind one ear and leaned over, pulling a stick of incense out of one of the bins. The shopkeeper held it out to Kagome. “This one will make any setting or dinner romantic.”

Kagome glanced over her shoulder towards Inuyasha, noting that his nose was scrunched and that he had stopped in the doorway. She shook her head, running the stick underneath her nose. She said, “Inuyasha, you should really come here and smell these. This one is lovely.”

Polgara joined her by the counter. She pulled some incense sticks out, sniffing them. “Yes, they are quite lovely. Don't you think so, dear?” She handed a couple to her husband.

Durnik sniffed them, doubt in his brown eyes. “They're nice enough, I suppose, Pol. I just don't know how practical they'd be for Rin.”

“Come on, Inuyasha. Why don't you at least give it a chance?” Kagome asked.

“You're crazy, woman. I'm not coming in any further.” Inuyasha made a few stuttering gasps before sneezing violently. “You can forget it. Not on your life.”

Shippo launched himself off of Inuyasha's shoulder, to land in Kagome's arms. The fox kit scrambled onto her shoulder, perching carefully. His nose was also scrunched. He said, his green eyes looking at the half-demon with concern, “I think there might be too many smells for Inuyasha.”

Kagome sighed. “Inuyasha, it's not really that bad. Maybe they'll have something that Rin will like. She can't pick any flowers lately, so it'd be nice if you gave her some dried ones perhaps.” She placed the incense stick back into the bin the shopkeeper had taken it out from. “Besides, you're blocking the door.”

“Fine, but that doesn't mean I like it.” Inuyasha stumbled to the bins Kagome stood by. He crinkled his nose, squeezing his eyes shut as he fought against another sneeze. The half-demon grumbled between gasps, “Are they trying to fucking kill me? This place is awful.” He sneezed again, his hood nearly falling back. “How can there be anything here the pup would like?”

“We also have potpourri and oils if you're interested.” The shopkeeper smiled. She stepped out from behind the counter. “Over in these bins we have various potpourri we can bag for you, and on this shelf we have many oils for baths or perfume. Sample any that strike your fancy.” She gestured to the bins and shelf. “Feel free.”

Kagome bent down, looking at some of the potpourri. She lifted some of the bags out, sniffing them. One smelled of mint, another of apples. She inhaled deeply, relishing in their fresh scent. “Inuyasha, at least give these a try. I think Rin would love them.” She held them up towards Shippo. “What do you think, Shippo-chan?”

Shippo sniffed. “It's nice, I guess.” He turned his head, fighting back his own sneeze.

Inuyasha glared at her, rubbing one eye with the palm of his hand. He grumbled, “Stupid store with all its stupid scents.” The half-demon sighed audibly, stomping to where Kagome stood. “Fine. If it'll make you happy.” He yanked the sack of potpourri out of her hands, sniffing it. He coughed and dropped it before sneezing several times in a row. “Oi. I don't think so.” He pinched his fingers to his nose, sucking in air to prevent another sneezing spasm. “Forget it.”

“I didn't tell you to shove it up your nose, you know. I only wanted you to see how it smelled.” Kagome sighed. “It was at least an idea.”

Another woman in the store asked the shopkeeper, “Mind if I see how this one smells lit?” She held an incense stick out to the small, dark haired woman. “I'd much appreciate it.”

“Certainly, my lady.” She took the stick, setting it into a small hunk of wood. “This one is quite sensual, I think. It can set a nice, romantic atmosphere.”

Durnik shook his head. “Pol, I don't know if that's a good idea. Inuyasha doesn't seem to like this store. Maybe we shouldn't stay too much longer.”

Polgara frowned as she watched the shopkeeper assist the other shopper. “If I had known this was an incense shop, I might have suggested we bypass it.”

The shopkeeper drew a match, lighting it. She blew the flame out and a tendril of smoke rose from the stick. The shopkeeper waved her hands at it, fanning it to fill the shop. She closed her eyes, inhaling deep. “See, it has a nice musky scent with a hint of lavender. I find it to be one of the more pleasing scents in our incense bins.”

The small, dark haired customer bent down, smelling the incense. “Yes, this is rather delightful. I think I'll buy a few sticks, if you don't mind.”

“You can get a set of seven for one silver token, my lady.” The shopkeeper withdrew a small cloth bag. “Would you like to select your own or have me bag them for you?”

Inuyasha staggered away from Kagome, groaning softly. He had his hands over his face, and his frame was tense. He started to cough violently, backing further away. When the half-demon finally caught his breath he grumbled, “What is that woman trying to do to me?” He wheezed, squeezing his eyes shut. “That is terrible.”

Kagome leaned over, resting her hand on Inuyasha's back. She rubbed it softly and asked, “Are you alright, Inuyasha?”

Inuyasha sucked in some air before coughing. He rasped out, “I'm fine. Just let me catch my breath, alright?”

“Okay.” Kagome looked at Shippo, noticing the concern in his eyes. She said, “We'll go if you want.”

Inuyasha shook his head. “I'm fine, wench.” He sneezed again and pinched his nose, trying to prevent another sneezing spell. “Just keep shopping.”

“Are you sure?”

“Yeah.” Inuyasha coughed, crouching slightly. “I'm fine, really.”

The shopkeeper said to her current customer, “There you go, my lady. Is there anything else you might like to buy?”

“No, thank-you. These are quite enough for now.” The woman nodded before leaving the shop.

The shopkeeper joined Polgara and Durnik. “Can I assist you with anything, my lord, lady?”

“Perhaps I'd like to see some of your oils, while we're here,” Polgara replied.

“Pol, I think we really should be going.” Durnik glanced towards Inuyasha and Kagome. The hanyou took deep breaths before sneezing again. “This isn't good for him.”

Polgara said, “I know what scent I want to buy. I promise it will be quick and then we can leave. I just need to refresh my supply of my perfume.”

“Alright, but don't take too much longer.” Durnik's plain face had a slight frown. “We are trying to help Inuyasha find something for Rin, after all.”

“I know, dear.” She picked up a bottle. “This will do.”

Kagome shook her head, also crossing to the shelf with oil bottles. She picked up a small dram bottle, unscrewing the cap. She waved it underneath her nose, smelling a sweet spice. It was a little strong and she shook her head, recapping it. Kagome picked up another one, opening it. This one smelled just like a freshly picked rose. She held it up for Shippo. “What do you think? I know Rin would love it. It's a nice perfume. If she can't pick any flowers, at least she can smell them, right?”

“It's nice, but I don't know, Kagome. Wouldn't that change Rin's scent?” Shippo sniffed it, his brows furrowed.

Inuyasha bent over, pinching his nose. He grunted softly, slowly standing back up. The hanyou pulled his hands away from his face cautiously, before he sneezed again loudly. Inuyasha shook his head. “Change who's scent? What are you talking about, Shippo?”

Kagome recapped the rose bottle. She opened another bottle, sniffing it. This one smelt faintly of lemons. She inhaled deeply, enjoying its freshness. “This one is nice.”

“The shopkeeper said that these are perfumes. Wouldn't that change Rin's scent if she used any of these, even a little?” Shippo asked, looking at Inuyasha. “I don't know if that's a good idea.”

“No. It's not.” Inuyasha squeezed his eyes shut before rubbing them. He sneezed again. “Forget it, wench. We're not changing the pup's scent. You have any idea how angry Sesshomaru would be if we gave her that?” Inuyasha blinked as his eyes watered. “You're not getting any, either.”

Kagome recapped the bottle, setting it back into its space. She sighed. “Okay. I get it.” She turned, looking at Inuyasha. His eyes were narrowed, and tears flowed down his cheeks. He had his fingers pinching the bridge of his nose, and his fangs dug into his lip as he tried to not sneeze again. Underneath his hood, Inuyasha's ears were flattened to his skull. “Inuyasha, we really should get out of here before you get any worse. And you said you were fine.”

Inuyasha mumbled something, nodding. He coughed before erupting into another round of violent sneezes. He waved his hands at them, choking out, “Go on, let's go. I can't take it anymore.”

“Lady Polgara, we'll meet you in the street, okay?” Kagome called across the shop to the sorceress.

Polgara nodded. “Certainly. We'll catch up with you.”

Kagome sighed, gripping Inuyasha's arm. She led him back outside. Once back out in the crowded street, Inuyasha stumbled into it, taking deep breaths. She said, “I'm sorry we stayed so long. I didn't know it'd make you that ill.”

Inuyasha bent over, his hands on his knees as he sucked in air. He shook his head, waving her back. The half-demon sneezed again, wiping tears out of his eyes. “Oi. That was awful, wench. There were so many fucking smells. And that stupid bitch had to burn that stupid thing. I thought it was going to kill me.”

Shippo sneezed. He rubbed an eye. “Yeah. I was okay until she did that.”

“I'm sorry, guys. I'm the one who suggested the store,” Kagome said, hugging Shippo.

Inuyasha rubbed an eye, blinking back fresh tears. “Feh. You didn't know, Kagome.” He took a deep breath. “It's not your fault.”

Kagome glanced around for another store. One sign with a brilliant butterfly caught her eye. It read in rainbow colors, “Silken Butterfly Road.” She tugged on his sleeve. “How about we try the silk shop there? It might have something Rin can use.”

“Whatever.” Inuyasha nodded, taking in more gulps of air. “Fine. We'll go look. I just don't ever want you to take me into one of those smelly shops again. Ever. You got that?”

Kagome smiled. “Uh huh, Inuyasha. I understand. No more smelly shops.” She took his hand, leading him towards the next shop. “Maybe you'll find something for Rin there.”

“Feh.” Inuyasha pinched his nose, gasping. “If you say so, wench.”

Polgara and Durnik joined them. The sorceress had an eyebrow raised and a small frown on her face. Her gray eyes were concerned. She asked, “Well, where are we going to next, once Inuyasha catches his breath?”

Durnik placed a hand on Inuyasha's shoulder. He asked, concern in his voice, “Are you going to be alright, Inuyasha?”

Inuyasha nodded, fighting against another sneeze. He said, “Yeah, I'm fine.” The sneeze overtook him, and his hood fell back about his shoulders. “Oi. I think I'm done sneezing, finally.”

Shippo climbed onto his shoulders, tugging the hood back up. “There. Are you sure you'll be alright now?”

Inuyasha nodded. “Yeah, runt. I'm fine.” He took a few more breaths. “Don't worry about me.”

They crossed the road, weaving through the crowd to reach the next store. Inside, on the left, were tables with folded silks in a multitude of hues. Racks with scarves, shawls, and skirts stood on the opposite side. A small, dark-haired woman came out from behind the counter located at the back of the store. She wore a fine, green silk dress. “My lords, ladies, how may I be of assistance to you today?”

Polgara smiled. “We're just looking right now, thanks.”

“Alright, but let me know if there are any questions.” The woman nodded before turning to assist other customers in the store.

Kagome led Inuyasha to one of the racks which held various scarves. She browsed through them, marveling at the brilliant shades of blues, greens, reds, and yellows. “Aren't these beautiful, Inuyasha?”

Inuyasha snorted. “Feh. What use could Rin have for one of these?”

“Lots of things.”

“Like what?” Inuyasha crossed his arms. “Name one thing the pup could use that for.”

“Well, she could wear it in her hair, for instance.” Kagome smoothed her hand across a pale blue scarf. “Do you like any of the colors?”

Shippo glanced through some scarfs. He tugged on one and said,“I like this green one, Kagome.”

“Now, just how is that useful, wench?” Inuyasha asked, his head cocked to one side. A small blush tinted his cheeks. “What else could she use it for?”

“Well, it'd pull her hair back, away from her face.” Kagome looked at the scarf Shippo had pointed out. It was a pale mint and it shimmered in the sunlight streaming through the window. “Shippo-chan, this is lovely. What do you think, Inuyasha?”

Inuyasha shrugged, not even looking at the scarf. His head was down and he scuffed his clawed toes into the wooden floor. “Still don't see how useful it is.”

Kagome sighed. “You're not even looking at it.”

Inuyasha lifted his head, a dark blush covering his cheeks. He looked at the scarf in Kagome's hands. “Feh. It looks nice.” He turned his head, his ears drooping underneath his hood. “There. That make you happy?”

Shippo frowned and his brows knit together. Concern filled his emerald eyes. He slipped back onto Kagome's shoulder. And whispered into her ear, “Kagome, is he alright?”

Kagome shook her head, a tiny smile crossing her lips. Her hanyou was so endearing when embarrassed. A slight blush coated her own cheeks as she remembered what had happened in their suite at the inn the night before. “He's fine. Don't worry about him, alright?”

Polgara joined them. “Do you see anything you like, Inuyasha?”

Inuyasha snorted. “Not really.” He turned his back and crossed to the other side of the shop, standing by Durnik. The two started to look at some of the items on display. A few times, Inuyasha glanced in Kagome's direction, blushing further.

Kagome shook her head. “I hope he can find something soon.” She glanced down at the scarf clutched in her hands. It was such an exquisite green. Kagome lifted her head, her eyes resting on Inuyasha. He was talking with Durnik, explaining something. Inuyasha's eyes met hers and his blush deepened. Kagome laughed, waving at him with the scarf. She looked at it again, and it reminded her of the scarf Sesshomaru had given her. Maybe she should repay his kindness. “I think I'll get this scarf, though.”

“For who, Kagome?” Shippo asked. “You already got Rin something.”

“Yes, I have. I thought I'd buy this for Sesshomaru.”

“For Sesshomaru-sama?” Shippo asked, a slight quaver in his voice. “Why, Kagome?”

“Because I'd like to thank him for something.” Kagome folded the mint scarf into a small square. “And because I want to do something nice for him.”

Shippo looked dubious. He asked, “Thank him for what?”

Kagome bit her lip as she blushed. She said, smiling at the fox kit, “Just because. Remember what I told you about Sesshomaru once?”

Shippo chewed on a claw. He cast his eyes upward. “You told me once that he was a big puppy-dog underneath all that coldness, right?”

“Yes.” Kagome nodded. “You remembered.” She held up the scarf. “Because he's really sweet underneath it all, I want to get him this, alright?”

“Okay.”

Inuyasha rejoined them. He crossed his arms. “Oi. What are you doing with that scarf, wench?”

“I'm going to buy it for your brother.”

“What the fuck for?” Inuyasha asked, his brows knit together in confusion. “What would he do with it?”

Kagome sighed. “Because I think I ought to repay his kindness.” She smiled shyly at him. “He's done a lot of nice things for us, if you think about it. Shouldn't we at least say thank-you, Inuyasha?”

Inuyasha blushed, biting his lip. “Feh. Whatever, wench.”

Kagome approached the shopkeeper. She asked, “Excuse me, but how much is this scarf?”

The shopkeeper lifted the scarf, examining it. She turned it over in her hands before handing it back to Kagome. “One silver piece, my lady.”

Opening her coin purse, Kagome took out one silver coin. She gave it to the shopkeeper. “Thank-you.”

“Thank-you, my lady. Enjoy the scarf.”

“There you are, Lady Polgara. We've been trying to catch up with you for the past hour,” Ce'Nedra called out.

“Well hello there, dear.” Polgara smiled at the tiny redhead. “Did you ladies have any luck?”

“Yes. I got Rin a set of beautiful silver butterfly hair combs and Velvet got her a nice necklace,” Ce'Nedra said. “I tried to find some nice ones with flowers, but I didn't like any of them.”

“I'm sure she'll love them, dear.”

Velvet smiled, her dimples appearing in her cheeks. “It has a sapphire pendant.”

“And you, Sango dear?”

Sango shook her head. “No, not really. I didn't really like anything at any of the stores so far.”

“Oh dear. Inuyasha's having the same problem.” Polgara sighed. “What will I do with the two of you?”

Velvet laughed. “Don't look so bewildered, Lady Polgara. I'm sure they have a very good reason for being so hard to please.”

Inuyasha snorted. “Feh.”

Sango sighed. “I just don't feel right buying her something. I guess everything I've seen so far is too impersonal for my tastes.”

“Thank-you,” Inuyasha said, nodding his agreement.

Kagome sighed. “But what will you get Rin if you don't buy something while we're in the city?”

Durnik smiled. “I wouldn't worry, at least as far as Inuyasha goes.”

“Why not?” Polgara asked. “What will he get her if he doesn't buy anything today?”

The smith winked. “Don't worry, Pol. We've got an idea in mind.” He clapped Inuyasha on the shoulder. “Don't we, Inuyasha?”

“Yeah.” Inuyasha smiled wide, showing his fangs. “We have something better in mind for the pup than anything these silly shops have to offer, that's for sure.”

“Oh, and just what is this wonderful gift you two have in mind?” Polgara asked, her eyebrow arching. A soft smile crossed her lips. “Why do I get the feeling that the two of you are up to no good?”

“All in good time, Pol.” Durnik smiled. “I believe you had to help Inuyasha with something else, besides.”

“Why don't you go do that, Aunt Pol,” Ce'Nedra said while looking through some shawls. “Kagome, Velvet, and I will help Sango out.”

Shippo whispered, “Do you know what's going on, Kagome?”

Kagome shook her head. “No. I'm just as confused as you are.”

The fox kit climbed onto Inuyasha's shoulder. He asked, “Can I help you, too, father?”

Inuyasha shook his head. “Not this time, whelp.”

Polgara smiled. “We'll meet you at the inn.” She gave Durnik a kiss on the cheek. “Keep an eye on the girls, okay, dear?”

Durnik blushed. “I will, Pol.”

“Why can't I go with you?” Shippo asked, a pout forming on his lips. “I want to help.”

“Oi. You don't even know what I'm looking for.” Inuyasha sighed. He picked Shippo up, placing him back onto Kagome's shoulder. He leaned in, looking the kit in the eyes, and whispered, “Besides, you have to stay with your mother and protect her for me. That's how you can help me, alright? Keep her safe.”

Shippo puffed his chest out and grinned. “I will, father.”

“Good.” Inuyasha smiled, ruffling Shippo's hair. “That's what I want to hear.”

Kagome smiled, tears filling her eyes. She stood on her toes, kissing her hanyou on the cheek. She whispered into one of his ears, “Inuyasha, you're so sweet sometimes.”

Inuyasha blushed. “Feh.” He grasped one of her hands, squeezing it. “Stay close to Sango.”

“I will.” She squeezed his hand in return. “See you at the inn, then.”

“Remember, runt, I'm depending on you.” He winked.

Shippo smiled wide, nodding. “I've got it under control. You can count on me.”

“I had better be able to. See you two at the inn, then.” Inuyasha let go of Kagome's hand and followed the tall, dark-haired sorceress out into the streets. He glanced over his shoulder once, his gold eyes connecting with Kagome's. He smiled softly before blending into the crowds.

“Well, where to next, ladies?” Durnik asked.

“Let's see, across the road is a nice wood carving shop,” Velvet said.

“Alright. Sounds like it might have potential.”

They entered the busy streets and navigated their way towards the next shop. Kagome arched an eyebrow as she saw Miroku and Silk enter a weapons shop. What could they possibly find for a twelve year old girl there? Before the crowd could swallow her, Kagome caught up with Sango. She had the feeling that the monk might be shopping for more than just Rin. Sango smiled at her and Kagome returned it. She said, “I hope you find something you like here. I wonder if Miroku's had any luck finding anything for Rin.”

“Me too.” Sango rolled his eyes. “As for the lecher, who says he's even trying? He's probably too busy chasing after all the women he can find.”

“Maybe.” Kagome smiled, keeping what she had seen to herself.

Above the shop that Ce'Nedra had suggested was a sign carved out of a rich, cheery wood. It pictured a massive tree, its foliated branches spread wide. In intricate script next to it read “Reincarnated Trees.” Kagome stared up at it, gasping softly. Shippo nudged her, pointing to the doorway. A large, intricately carved oak door hung open, beckoning them to enter. He said, “Come on, Kagome. Let's go inside.”

Blinking, Kagome nodded. “Okay.”

Everyone else had entered the store already, and as she stepped inside, Kagome glanced around. Chests, bureaus, tables, and bed frames filled the shop. On some tables sat wooden bowls and carved boxes. At one table, a small man hunched over a block of wood, carving it. His unruly dark hair flowed down to the collar of his white tunic. The man brushed some saw dust off of his black apron and hose as he examined the piece he had been working on.

Another shopkeeper approached, his frame stocky. He had large arms, the sleeves of his brown tunic rolled up to the elbows. He smiled, his harsh, hawk-like features softening. “Welcome to Reincarnated Trees, my lady. Is there anything in particular that you're looking for?”

Kagome shook her head. “No, not really. I'm just looking, really.”

“Just let me or Dalvor know if there's anything you need.” The large man turned, assisting others in the shop.

Shippo said, “There's Sango.”

Sango stood near some elegantly painted screens. Some obviously had been designed for use as changing screens. Others stood atop tables, vases of flowers in elaborate arrangements sitting in front of them. A frown of concentration crossed the demon slayer's face as she ran her fingers on the edges of one flower screen. She said, “Finally, something that might have potential.”

Ce'Nedra asked, “Do you think you'll get one of these for Rin, Sango?”

“Maybe. I just don't know if it's the right thing for her,” Sango replied, biting her lip.

Kagome joined them, looking over the screen Sango stood by. It had a delicate painting of a cherry tree in full blossom on its two panels. The tree's trunk had exceptional detail, the light brown dotted with green moss. The branches held beautiful, white blossoms at the height of spring. Kagome said, “You can't go wrong with this, Sango-chan. Rin would love this.”

“You think so?”

Velvet nodded. “I agree. It's wonderful. I think that the little girl would be thrilled to get this.”

Dalvor joined them. He asked, “Are you ladies interested in buying one of my screens?”

Sango nodded, a slight blush crossing her face. She said, “I am, yes.”

“This one is a favorite of mine. I first prepared a walnut surface and polished it before applying gold leaf. Then, I painted the tree on it. I do this with all of the screens here. The ink used in the painting is a fine Darshivan ink.” Dalvor smoothed his ink stained hands over the screen. “This one is perfect for anyone who loves flowers and arranging them. It depicts the beauty of the cherry trees of Mal Zeth in spring.”

Durnik said, “I'd consider buying this. Goodman, you seem committed to your craft.”

Dalvor nodded. “Vesca and I have been in business together for twenty years. He makes all of the furniture while I do all of the carvings.”

“It shows. I've been a blacksmith for over thirty, myself,” Durnik replied.

Sango asked, “How much is this screen?”

“One quarter gold piece, my lady. I don't barter on the price.” The thin man wiped his hands on his apron.

Sango opened the coin purse at her hip. “Here. I'll take it.”

“Certainly.” He lifted the screen carefully from behind the vase, folding it closed. He placed it into some tissue, wrapping it. “Would anyone else like to see some of my other carvings?”

“I would,” Kagome said.

Shippo asked, “Who are you shopping for now, Kagome?”

“I'm just looking for now, Shippo-chan.” Kagome smiled at him.

Dalvor took Sango's coin, handing the screen to the demon slayer. “Right this way, my lady.”

On shelves near Dalvor's work table sat several wood carvings. Several were animals of different types, others were flowers, and still more trees. One free standing carving stood out to Kagome. There, carved out of fine cherry wood, stood a near replica of the Sacred Tree. Although Kagome knew the shopkeeper had never seen the tree Inuyasha had spent fifty years in slumber pinned to, the likeness to Goshinboku struck her as eerie. Its wide branches had intricately carved leaves, almost swaying in the wind. She ran her fingers against the wood, feeling the deep grooves that formed the bark on its trunk. As much as it angered Kagome that Kikyo had sealed Inuyasha to the Sacred Tree in distrust, she was grateful, because it had allowed her to meet her hanyou. The carving was stunning and she knew she must have it.

“Ah, that one. That took me three years to fully complete.” Dalvor smiled. “I have been looking for someone who is worthy of it.”

Kagome lovingly traced the outlines of the leaves. It would make the perfect gift for Inuyasha. She said, “It certainly is beautiful.”

“It's worth one half gold piece, but seeing how smitten you are with it, I'll only charge a quarter gold piece,” Dalvor said. “That is, if you intend to buy, of course.”

“I do.” Kagome took out the proper coin, handing it to the shopkeeper. “May I please have it wrapped?”

“Of course.” The thin shopkeeper picked up the tree sculpture, placing it into a red box. He shut it, and handed it to Kagome. “There you are, my lady. I do hope you will enjoy it for years to come.”

“I will.”

Shippo asked, “What will you do with that?”

Kagome shook her head. “Don't you worry about that.”

Ce'Nedra said, “That tree was beautiful, Kagome. I would have bought it if you hadn't.”

Sango held her screen tucked carefully against her chest. “I agree.”

Entering the shop was the old sorcerer. His expression was irritated and tense. “There you are. Do you have any idea how late into the afternoon the day is?”

“I'm sorry, Belgarath. I guess I wasn't watching the time,” Durnik said, his brown hair in his eyes as he looked down.

Ce'Nedra smiled winsomely at the old man. “But we had to finish shopping for Rin's birthday.”

“This is not a pleasure trip. We're going to miss the ferry if you don't hurry back to the inn immediately.” Belgarath crossed his arms over his chest and tapped his foot. “We do have deadlines, you know.”

“Alright. We'll go. We're finished, anyways. Aren't we ladies?” Ce'Nedra asked, looking over Sango, Velvet, and Kagome. “We were just about to go to the inn, weren't we, Velvet?”

“Of course we were, your Majesty.” The small blonde woman nodded.“You'll have to forgive us, Ancient One. You know how it is with us ladies.” Velvet smiled, dimples in her cheeks. “We get shopping and the next thing you know the day has passed. All those pretty things keep us riveted.”

“Very funny.” Belgarath glared at her, frowning. “You're the last group I'm waiting for. Let's go. We have more important things to do.”

“Do you think he might be related to Inuyasha somehow?” Shippo asked, whispering into Kagome's ear.

Kagome laughed softly. She half-heartedly scolded, “Now, Shippo, that wasn't very nice.” Kagome shook her head and sighed. “I guess we better get back before Inuyasha comes looking next.”