Crossover Fan Fiction / InuYasha Fan Fiction ❯ The Journey to the City of Endless Night ❯ Chapter Sixty ( Chapter 60 )

[ X - Adult: No readers under 18. Contains Graphic Adult Themes/Extreme violence. ]

Chapter Sixty
 
The sounds of low cooing reached the imp's ears as he rested against the bark of the great Tree in the center of the Vale. Jaken idly twirled the Staff of Two Heads in his hands, staring out into the vast grassland as the wind twisted throughout it. Brilliant pinks and oranges painted the sky as the sun set on the idyllic valley. Jaken sighed softly, muttering to himself, “Sesshomaru-sama, don't you care about your lowly servant? Won't you ever come back for Jaken?”

Thumping his staff against the trunk of the immense Tree, Jaken snorted. The day had crawled by without anything momentous to record. The toad demon had spent it wandering the extensive vale, until he had found himself underneath the branches of the massive Tree. There, he sat watching birds root for seeds. Jaken yawned wide in utter boredom. There was simply nothing to preoccupy the imp while he waited for Sesshomaru's return. Not even Rin was here to distract him. He muttered, “It's simply not fair. What does that insolent child have that Sesshomaru-sama requires? She's nothing but a weak human. She'll only get in his way.”

A young, gray squirrel ran down the giant trunk, scampering over Jaken's head. It stopped in the grass before him, its small, half-grown tail twitching. The squirrel lifted its paws to its face, and Jaken blinked. The pesky animal had snow white paws. It chattered at him, its dark, beady eyes trained on the imp. It eagerly grabbed some seeds from the ground, stuffing its face full.

Jaken shouted as he waved his staff at the animal, “Get out of here, you pesky animal!” The squirrel angrily chattered at him before scurrying over him to climb high into the branches of the huge Tree. Jaken squawked, “You stupid beast! How dare you run over me like that!”

He sighed, slumping against the Tree. It seemed that would be the extent of the excitement in his day. How utterly dull it was to be left behind like this. Nothing happened in this place, not even with the strange humans he stayed with. He would only find relief once he returned to Sesshomaru's side again. Would his lord ever return, and when he did, would he still want the imp to travel with him? It sent chills through the toad demon. He couldn't think of it, wouldn't. He knew his lord would collect him and they would continue on their journey---eventually.

Yet, what Jaken had overheard in the twins' tower still haunted him. Just who could assail his lord, and why was the little girl the only one capable of saving him? Jaken shook his head, hugging the Staff of Two Heads tightly to his chest. He snorted. “As if my lord could ever be harmed by any of these silly humans. It's pure rubbish if you ask me. How could they ever match Sesshomaru-sama's might?”

Jaken yawned, settling further against the Tree. A nice nap before supper seemed in order, and the toad demon closed his eyes, drifting into a light doze. In the realm between sleep and wakefulness, Jaken could pretend he remained at Sesshomaru's side. He could clearly see his lord in his mind's eye. The Demon Lord gracefully walked before the imp, regal as ever. His silver mane flowed behind him, floating on the breeze. The Lord of the Western Lands' head was held high and his back straight as he traveled to his next destination. Jaken followed close behind, willing to be led wherever Sesshomaru would take him.

As always on their travels, someone would block their safe passage. Most foolish enough to do so were pathetic bandits, boldly standing up to Sesshomaru in desperation and greed. It was at times such as these that Jaken most admired his lord. The powers the Demon Lord possessed were unmatched and feared. Nonetheless, there were always those who were impudent and rash enough to challenge Sesshomaru. As they traveled onto his lord's next location, they came upon such a group. The folly of humans always amazed Jaken. They seemed unable to recognize their betters, and due to this nature, they were often arrogant.

In the Demon Lord's path stood twenty gaunt men. One held a sword insolently pointed at Sesshomaru's chest, demanding the Demon Lord to hand over all of his possessions. “You there, give us your weapons and your goods.” The man held his sword in a shaking hand. “Now!”

Jaken stared up at his lord, who remained unmoved. Sesshomaru's smooth, deep voice commanded the petty highway robbers, “Move. You block my path.”

Five of the braver bandits charged Sesshomaru, their swords raised to strike. Effortlessly, the Demon Lord raised his arm, his whip of light cleanly slicing the men in half, to fall dead at his feet. Again, his lord's velvet voice ordered, “Move.”

Those who had not been killed fled in terror, crying out, “He's not human! It's a demon!”

“Stupid humans!” Jaken shouted after them, shaking his staff at their retreating forms. “The arrogance of showing such insolence to my lord like that. You would think they would know to respect their betters.”

“Jaken.” A slight edge crept into the Demon Lord's deep voice. “Silence.”

Jaken bowed his head. “Yes, Sesshomaru-sama.”

He scurried to keep up with the large strides of his lord. Sesshomaru continued, unaffected by the interruption, as his ethereal face remained composed and unreadable. Their journey proceeded as if the disturbance hadn't occurred at all. His lord's steps displayed confidence, and Jaken was certain Sesshomaru would lead him without fail. The privilege to accompany the great Demon Lord was reward enough. The imp couldn't imagine anything else being so fulfilling, and as he looked up at Sesshomaru, the stoic features of his lord reflected his immeasurable strength.

Not only did the occasional group of bandits stand in his lord's way, sometimes a lesser demon would challenge the might of Sesshomaru. At those times, Jaken felt his lord's true power shined. What foe could hope to stand against the strength of the Lord of the Western Lands? Time after time, Jaken witnessed fool hardy demons be vanquished by his lord, often with little effort. None had the skill or cunning to match that of Sesshomaru. Those insolent enough to claim otherwise would find they had severely underestimated the Demon Lord. Most would not live to recant the tale of their defeat.

As they continued on the path Sesshomaru had charted for them, they came across such an overconfident demon. It had the audacity to attack, throwing a fireball at his lord. The Demon Lord easily dodged the strike, turning his poison claws on his assailant. A sharp cry could be heard before a despicable panther demon emerged from its cover. It turned out to be female, and she faced off against Jaken's lord. Anger contorted her feline visage while Sesshomaru remained impervious to the impending battle. Jaken had no doubt who would be the victor in this confrontation.

She shouted, “You will pay for that, you stupid dog.” The panther clutched a shoulder, dark blood gushing from between her fingers. She charged Sesshomaru, only to have him side step her. This infuriated her further and she growled. The panther demon shouted, while throwing fire, “Stop running, or are you a coward?”

As the panther demon worked herself into a further rage by charging an ever elusive Sesshomaru, Jaken cheered him on, crying out, “You show that panther, Sesshomaru-sama! How dare she interfere with your affairs!”

Sesshomaru ignored him, continuing to aggravate his opponent. Boredom filled his gold eyes, and to end it, the Demon Lord gripped the panther around the throat, crushing her wind pipe. He hadn't, even once, had to draw his sword Tokijin in his defense. Dropping the worthless corpse, his lord turned, walking away as if nothing had occurred. To the imp, Sesshomaru seemed undaunted by any obstacle placed in his path. Jaken marveled at the ease with which Sesshomaru disposed of his enemies. It made him grateful to be an ally to the Lord of the Western Lands and not an adversary.

Periodically an enemy would pose a real challenge to his lord, although the imp knew who would emerge the victor. Times like these, Jaken stood in admiration of the power Sesshomaru wielded so expertly and easily. On their journey, such a foe stood in their path. An enormous bat demon flew above, towering over them. His vile attacks rained down upon them, and the ground became scarred with craters. Trees were rendered into splinters. Jaken cowered, gripping the Staff of Two Heads in his stubby hands. Its vast wings sent waves of powerful wind at them, and if the imp hadn't shoved his staff into the ground, he knew he surely would be swept away.

Looking up, Jaken saw Sesshomaru stand undisturbed, all except for a hand on Tokijin's hilt. The wind produced by the bat swirled the Demon Lord's silver hair around his stoic face. The imp saw his lord's back straighten as he planted his feet firmly into the ground. The grip on his sword hilt tightened, and his golden eyes narrowed in ire. As the bat continued to circle them, his powerful energy wounding the land, Sesshomaru stood immovable. His low, silken voice ordered, “Leave. Remove yourself from my presence.”

A dry cackle escaped the bat demon's throat as he circled lower. His gruff voice retorted, “And just what will a weak dog like you do to the likes of me? I see you are not only at a disadvantage by being unable to fly, you are also crippled. How do you expect me to take your orders seriously?”

“How dare you insult my lord that way! You filthy bat!” Jaken shook a fist at the demon before cowering on the ground from a blast directed at him. Sesshomaru blocked it with his blade, standing between the imp and the bat. Jaken's eyes welled with tears and he bowed low on the ground. “Thank-you, Sesshomaru-sama!” He scurried out of his lord's way, standing ready if Sesshomaru should command his assistance.

The bat demon swooped down at Sesshomaru, emitting another blast. His powerful wings thrust more air through the clearing, and Jaken felt himself almost fall over from the force. Sesshomaru expertly dodged the attack, landing to stand his ground against the rash bat. The bat swooped in again, only to miss, and Sesshomaru's speed infuriated his enemy. The bat demon shot haphazardly in another attempt to hit the dodging Demon Lord. Instead, he felt the bite of Tokijin in his shoulder before Sesshomaru retreated out of reach. The angered bat demon landed, his injured wing unable to support him any further. It angered the bat, and his erratic attacks became more so. Jaken ducked behind a small boulder in an attempt to escape his own injuries. He peeked around it to watch his lord in action.

The bat swiped his claws at empty air and howled in frustration, furious that he could not keep up with the Lord of the Western Lands. His gravelly voice demanded, “Face me, dog. Do not play games with me. Face me!”

Sesshomaru did not return the banter. Instead, he twisted in the air, Tokijin raised high above his head before he leveled the blade at the bat. An enormous blast erupted, encasing Sesshomaru's enemy and leaving behind only mutilated parts. They landed, twitching. The Demon Lord turned on his heel, heading in the same direction as before. Nothing seemed to cause his lord's steps to falter. Nothing would sway him from his path.

Pumping his fist into the air, Jaken shouted, “Most impressive as always, master. You showed that bothersome bat!” Sesshomaru continued on, ignoring the cheers of his servant and Jaken scrambled out from behind his rock, falling flat onto his face as he tripped on his robes. He wailed, “Wait for me, Sesshomaru-sama! Don't leave me behind!”

Trailing behind his lord, Jaken turned his back on the bat demon's body. He stumbled over the rough terrain, often falling, in his effort to keep up with the Demon Lord's unwavering steps. Determination filled Sesshomaru's face and he journeyed deliberately towards an unknown goal. It mattered not to Jaken; as long as he could follow his lord he was content. His lord's sharp golden eyes missed nothing. His posture radiated grace. He was the epitome of what a Demon Lord should be. Nothing could possibly slow the progress of the Lord of the Western Lands.

As they continued, Jaken began to fall behind, as the strenuousness of keeping up with Sesshomaru taxed the imp. He sighed, weariness settling into his legs. He kept his eyes trained upon the ground so not to trip. Jaken's shoulders sagged as his endurance failed him. As much as he enjoyed accompanying Sesshomaru, times likes these felt tedious. He wished his lord would take the time to rest more often. He felt his stomach growl and the imp clutched his stomach. They had to have traveled a great distance that day. He was sure of it.

The imp lifted his head to glance at his lord. Gasping at the sight before him, Jaken wondered what had overcome his lord. Sesshomaru continued before him, but instead of holding his back straight, his shoulders slumped. Jaken could not recall ever seeing the Demon Lord carry himself in this manner. Even when Sesshomaru had sustained injuries in the past, such as the loss of his arm or the strength of the Wind Scar directly, he had remained dignified. Before Jaken, his lord seemed disorientated and confused. What had caused this, the imp couldn't say, but he felt alarm rise in his small frame.

Sesshomaru staggered ahead of him, pushing forward. His head was down as he plodded along, his pace slowing. The Demon Lord wobbled on his feet a few times, and he lifted his arm to regain his balance. Sesshomaru never looked back, instead pressing onwards. Even if his pace became unsteady, it seemed that the Lord of the Western Lands' will remained strong. He would not give in so easily, nor would he turn back. Sesshomaru took sluggish steps, hunching over further. Each step became a valiant effort on the part of the Demon Lord.

Recovering some of his strength in his concern, Jaken scrambled to walk next to Sesshomaru. He looked up at his lord's face, noting that the pale face had become pallid. The Demon Lord's markings became darker against his skin. Droplets of sweat formed on Sesshomaru's upper lip. He blinked his eyes, straining to focus them on the imp. Sesshomaru turned his back to Jaken, staggering away. Jaken cried out, “Sesshomaru-sama!”

Sesshomaru didn't respond, instead pushing forward. The steady steps Jaken had come to expect faded, and several times his lord stumbled, tripping over things in the grass. His knees appeared to nearly buckle several times. Alarm filled Jaken. What could possibly cause this in his lord? What force could render the mighty Lord of the Western Lands so weak? Although it was a rude gesture, Jaken tugged on Sesshomaru's empty sleeve, asking, “Sesshomaru-sama, are you alright?”

His lord yanked his sleeve from the imp's grip and lurched away from him. A raspy wheeze escaped the Demon Lord and he hunched over more. Sesshomaru, however, pressed onwards towards his destination. His steps faltered, and several times Jaken was certain his lord would collapse. The soft rasp gave way to a whine, as if the very act of breathing pained the Demon Lord. Panic flooded the imp. Who or what could inflict such a terrible thing on his lord? Sesshomaru was invincible in the imp's eyes. None could match him, and yet Sesshomaru grew weaker by the minute.

Jaken reached out, resting a hand on Sesshomaru's elbow. He would never do this in ordinary circumstances, but somehow he had to get the Demon Lord to stop. He called out, “Sesshomaru-sama, are you alright? We must rest.”

The Demon Lord turned bleary eyes on the toad demon, blinking. He seemed to not recognize his servant and the gold of his eyes were not the burnished color Jaken was used to but instead appeared dull. There was a deep weariness inside them and Sesshomaru had troubles focusing. He blinked, his eyes narrowing. Another shallow whine escaped his lord's throat before he turned, staggering down the path. The further he pushed himself, the further Sesshomaru's lithe frame hunched over. His hair fell into his face, tangling as it dragged behind on the ground.

This was not the Sesshomaru Jaken followed. Someone had to be very strong to undermine the Demon Lord's might. He didn't know what to do. His lord needed him now more than ever. What could he do? There was no visible enemy. Jaken felt helpless as he watched his lord falter. The one person he never expected to see in such a diminished state stood before him, fading. It struck with such force and without warning that the imp was uncertain of where to begin helping.

Sesshomaru's breath wheezed louder, his mouth slightly open as he desperately tried to draw in much needed air. As he pushed air out, it rasped loudly, followed by a high whine as he strained to take in more. His eyes became hooded as they became exceedingly tired. As he walked on, he stumbled more, before his knees gave way. He tottered forward, landing face first into the grass. His arm was pinned underneath his body. The Demon Lord's silver mane spilled around him, cascading over the green surrounding his prostrate form. A small trickle of crimson appeared at the corner of his mouth. The weary eyes fell closed, and Sesshomaru fell completely limp.

“Sesshomaru-sama! Sesshomaru-sama!” Jaken rushed to Sesshomaru's side, trying to wake his master. He shook his lord's shoulders, trying to rouse him, to get any reaction. Any response would be welcomed, even if it meant being struck. “Sesshomaru-sama! Say something! Anything! Your servant begs it of you!”

From over the hill approached a small form. In one hand were flowers. A soft smile filled the little girl's face. It was Rin! She neared and her brown eyes became somber. The smile became a tight frown. When she reached the pair, Rin silently knelt down next to Sesshomaru. She set her flowers next to him before brushing her fingers against one of his stripes. Her dark eyes connected with Jaken's briefly, before she rested her hand on the Demon Lord's cheek. A soft, blue hue coated it, and she whispered, “Sesshomaru-sama, be well.”

“There you are, Jaken. Somehow I knew you would be down by the Tree,” a tenor voice startled Jaken out of his nightmare. It was Eriond. “Have a nice nap?”

Jaken blinked, shaking his head. The awful images of his lord falling ill still filled his mind. He shouted, “What is it, you foolish boy!”

“Beltira and Belkira said to fetch you for dinner.” Eriond frowned, his blue eyes somber. They looked like Rin's had in Jaken's dream. He nodded once towards the Tree. “I see.”

“See what! What are you talking about now? You make no sense, boy!” Jaken pushed himself to a standing position, propping himself up with his staff.

“It's necessary, I suppose.” He sighed. “She needs it to realize her true potential and power.”

“What? Who? You speak pure nonsense.”

Eriond shook his head, blond locks falling into his eyes. He smiled wide. “Well, are you coming to dinner? We have a guest. Margrave Khendon has arrived just in time.”

“Who?” Jaken sputtered, blinking his large yellow eyes.

“Margrave Khendon. He traveled all the way from Boktor to be here,” Eriond said. “Come on, we should get back before dinner gets cold.”

Jaken prepared a retort, but sighed instead. His shoulders slumped, and he hung his head. It seemed the boy wouldn't continue his cryptic messages. His stomach growled and he conceded, “Alright, I suppose so.”

“Good. The twins made an excellent beef stew tonight.” Eriond turned, heading towards his horse. It stood grazing on a small bush. The animal neighed softly and lifted its head to nuzzle against the boy. “Come on, Horse can get us there much faster.”

“I'm not getting on that filthy beast!” Jaken shouted, shaking his staff at him. “You can forget it, boy!”

Eriond ran his hand over the chestnut brown stallion, rubbing a peculiar incandescent white spot on its shoulder. “Horse wants to help, that's all. We'll be there just as they're ready to serve. Come on, Jaken. It'll be over before you know it.”

Jaken looked at the horse, leery of it. He noticed that the animal lacked a saddle or even a bridle. “Don't be absurd. That horse doesn't have a harness.”

“That's okay. Horse doesn't need one. He knows just where to go.” Eriond stroked his hand over the animal's nose. He took a small apple from his pocket, feeding it to the horse. “Besides, it's at least a two mile walk from here to the twin's tower if you go on foot, that is.”

Jaken glanced in the direction of the twin towers. Unable to see them from this distance, he slumped further, realizing the boy was right. Twilight had set on the Vale while he had dozed against the Tree. There was little light left to show him the way. If he were to walk it, he'd arrive to find nothing left on the fire. Narrowing his eyes in distaste, Jaken glared at the horse. He sighed, muttering under his breath, “Sesshomaru-sama, why did you leave me with these strange humans?”

“Well? Will you let Horse take us there?” Eriond stroked the horse's nose.

Jaken's stomach growled again and he sullenly said, “Fine.”

Eriond smiled wide. He said, “Let me help you up on to Horse's back. Hang on to his mane.”

Jaken stepped closer to the animal, his staff clutched tightly to his chest. He glanced up at the horse, looking into its liquid brown eyes with distrust. He wasn't certain of this animal. It made him miss the two-headed dragon Ah-Un, left behind at Sesshomaru's castle when they began their search for humans to care for Rin. This horse unnerved him. It seemed much too docile. Intelligence rooted deep in the large eyes and it neighed quietly, brushing its nose against him. Jaken squawked, jumping back. “Are you certain he's safe, boy?”

Eriond laughed, shaking his head. He smiled. “Of course. Horse likes you, that's all. He's just telling you to get on.” He bent down, cupping his hands. “Here, step up. Horse won't move.”

Jaken shook his head. “My staff. What about my staff?”

“I'll give it to you once you get on Horse.” He tilted his head towards his hands. “Come on. We can't keep Margrave Khendon waiting. It'd be impolite. He's our guest, after all.”

Jaken snorted. “Your guest. I don't have anything to do with silly humans!”

Setting his staff onto the ground, Jaken approached the boy. He tentatively stepped into Eriond's cupped hands, hoisting himself up onto the horse's back. Once up, he gripped tightly onto the mane, squeezing his eyes shut. He was certain the animal would bolt as soon as he climbed on. Instead, the horse snorted, munching on more leaves from the bush in front of it. Jaken opened his eyes, finding his staff held in front of him. He took it into his free hand, setting it in front of him.

Eriond climbed on the horse behind him. He said, “Alright, here we go!”

As soon as the boy had climbed onto the horse, it broke into a full gallop, and Jaken dug his fingers further in, fearing he might fall off. They headed towards the fading sunset, and Eriond laughed in delight. Jaken groaned. How did he get himself into these situations? The animal splashed over a small stream, not far from the Tree, churning up dirt and grass in its wake. Along the way, they passed small pines and bushes. Deer and rabbits grazed in peace as they passed, looking towards them in brief curiosity.

The stallion thundered through the grassy plain, turning north to run parallel with the stream. As it galloped, the horse gave an odd lurch. The scenery around them blurred momentarily. There were flashes of brilliant green. They flew through a small grove and Jaken ducked, fearing they might crash directly into a tree. This strange animal possessed speed Jaken had only seen his master have in the past. He held on tight, fearing he might fall off and be left behind. It felt to the toad demon as if they were floating above the ground, crossing distances only Sesshomaru could hope to cover in such swiftness. Eriond shouted, urging his horse onward.

When the horse resumed its normal gait, they came upon a tower. Jaken had not been aware of its existence, simply because he had never wandered in this direction. He always turned west towards the cottage, circling towards the Tree. The idea that he should venture south hadn't crossed his mind. He had simply used the same path to return to the twin's towers each day. It was, after all, the path his lord had used when they first entered the strange valley. When they had first found themselves in this place, they had first come across the Tree and then journeyed to the cottage. Jaken had spent all of his time in the Vale retracing Sesshomaru's steps, awaiting his return.

The last gasp of daylight illuminated the tower's exquisite beauty. Soaring above the grass meadow, it stood, constructed of rose quartz. It sparkled, reflecting the sunset in dazzling garnet rays. The tower hovered like a lambent jewel and its delicate structure strained to reach the sky. Unlike the twin towers, it served as a monument to grace, not to utility. It curved up at the top, forming a large dome. Jaken believed whomever lived there had to be just as beautiful. Anyone who was not certainly couldn't be worthy of this tower's radiance.

Before Jaken could ask the boy about the tower's owner, the horse lurched again, blurring everything around them. The toad squawked in surprise as he squeezed his eyes shut. The horse slowed to a trot and Jaken clutched it around the neck, slumping. Finally, the horse came to a stop. Jaken panted, trembling as he hugged the stallion tighter. “Is it over yet?”

Eriond laughed softly. “We're there, Jaken. You can get off of Horse now.”

Jaken opened his eyes, blinking. He took a few deep breaths, sliding off the large stallion. Standing on wobbly legs, the toad eyed the animal with a mixture of wonder and caution. His staff slid off the horse's back, knocking Jaken to the ground. He muttered under his breath half-heartedly, “Foolish horse!”

Eriond shook his head and said, “I suppose we should go inside. The twins are waiting.” He smiled, his blue eyes sparkling. “Besides, I'm famished, aren't you? A good ride always does that to me.”

Jaken grunted and sat up, pulling his staff to his chest. Looking up at the twins' towers, he noticed a soft yellow light from the window. A gray stone in the face of the tower shifted, revealing the doorway to the stairs. Jaken pulled himself up, and entered the tower. He could already smell the beef stew that awaited him and his stomach growled again.

When they reached the top of the stairs, the soft glow of candlelight filled the small circular room. Over the fire sat a large, cast-iron pot and one of the twins spooned some soup into a small ceramic bowl. He set it down onto the large table where a strange, thin human sat with his back to them. He wore black hose and a strange pearl-gray shirt that shimmered in the flickering firelight. His dark hair was cropped neatly.

“Eriond and Jaken have---” began one twin.

“---arrived just in time for dinner,” the other finished. “Come, sit down and eat.”

The strange man turned his head, and his eyes went wide in his angular face. He held his hand up to his mouth and cleared his throat. He said, his deep voice soft, “Eriond, nice to see you again. How have you been?”

“It's nice to see you again, too, Margrave Khendon,” Eriond replied, bowing his head. He took a seat at the table across from the man.

Geran clapped his hands, exclaiming, “Errand!” The small, blond boy stood on short legs, running towards the young man. He hugged Eriond's leg. “Errand is here!”

“Yes, yes, I'm here, Geran.” Eriond lifted the boy, setting the small, three-year old in his lap. He laughed, hugging the boy close. “I hope you've been behaving, especially with Margrave Khendon here.”

“Surely we're beyond formality. Javelin will suffice.” Margrave Khendon appeared as thin as a rail and sat forward as if ready to flee at any indication of danger. He mopped up some gravy with a piece of bread. “How has the Vale been treating you, boy?”

Jaken knelt down in front of his own table, casting his yellow eyes in disdain at their new guest. He didn't feel he should justify talking with some unknown human. Besides, his stomach rumbled again, and his focus centered entirely on the delicious smells emanating from the pot on the fire. One of the twins, Belkira or Beltira, he couldn't be certain of which, placed a bowl down in front of him. Jaken muttered a soft thanks before digging into the stew. The meat melted in his mouth, sweet and savory at the same time. Whatever this human's business in the Vale entailed, it certainly did not involve him. Dipping some bread into his bowl, he chewed slowly, staring at the man at the table in distrust.

Eriond shrugged, tearing a hunk of bread in half. “It's been treating me well, I suppose. Horse and I do a lot of riding.” A sadness tinged his face momentarily. He warded away Geran's hand, reaching to steal his piece of bread. “I would have preferred to accompany everyone on their journey, but not this time, I guess.”

“Ah, yes. The business of demons overrunning Mallorea,” Javelin replied, his eyes on his bowl. He spooned some stew onto his bread and ate it. “It's why I'm here, actually.”

“Oh? What is about the trouble in Mallorea that brought you---” one twin started to ask.

“---to the Vale, Margrave Khendon?” the other twin finished.

“As you know, we're holding a continuous Alorn Council while his Majesty Belgarion aids his Majesty Zakath with that particular---issue,” Javelin began as he buttered another piece of bread in swift motions. “I'm assuming you know more about what's exactly going on there than I do. Even as Chief of Drasnian Intelligence, I can't keep tabs on all of their movements. Not even with Velvet accompanying them can I know everything.”

“Ah, yes, we have heard that---”

“---but what is it that you wish to know?”

“It's not so much knowing every incident in full detail that brings me here. Porenn is running the council and she wants to acquire your assistance in dealing with the issues in the West. Because you can contact the group by means that I cannot, we can make decisions that will include your sage advice as well as Belgarath's.” Javelin sipped from a water cup. “We're running out of options. Cthol Murgos is spiraling out of control, and if something is not done to alleviate Urgit's political and religious strife soon, it could boil over into the rest of the western continent. You can imagine our desperation, I'm sure.”

Jaken snorted. Who cared what mere mortals did to one another? It wasn't his concern. It certainly had nothing to do with him. He chewed a piece of bread slowly, savoring the gravy that coated it. Whatever these humans were up to would resolve itself eventually. He didn't see the need to panic. All this talk disrupted the peace of his meal. His primary concern was to wait for his lord's return, not get involved in petty human affairs. The toad whispered to himself, “Foolish humans. Nothing but trouble, the whole lot of them.”

A nudge brought Jaken's attention away from his bowl. His yellow eyes went wide as he noticed that the little boy had ventured to his table. The fair-haired child threw his arms around Jaken and hugged him. Geran shouted, “Jaken!” The boy's head rested on the toad's shoulder. “You're here, too!”

Jaken squawked, “Get this pesky boy off of me!”

Eriond laughed. “I see you've gotten yourself into another mess, Jaken.” He wiped his mouth with a napkin before tossing it onto the table. The tall boy crossed to Jaken's table. He bent down, picking up Geran. “You know he doesn't like it when you do that, Geran.”

Geran frowned, his round, plain face becoming serious. His brows knit together and he glanced from Eriond to Jaken and back again. He pointed at the toad, flashing his right palm. On it was a strange, silvery white mark that encompassed it. “But I like Jaken, Errand.” His large blue eyes welled with tears. “Doesn't Jaken like me, too?”

Eriond shook his head. “He does, he just doesn't like hugs, that's all.”

Jaken sighed as he looked at his half-finished bowl. It seemed everyone was against his enjoyment of this meal. The toad demon's shoulders slumped. It seemed he would not find any peace anytime soon. He glared at the humans in the turret with him, shoving a piece of bread into his bowl. He twirled it around inside, mopping up as much gravy as he could. “Don't be ridiculous. I don't want hugs from any of you stupid humans! What an absurd thing to do.”

Javelin cleared his throat, arching one eyebrow. His eyes locked on Jaken and he tilted his head, “And just who would this be?”

“This is Jaken---” began Beltira, at least that's who Jaken thought it was.

“---he arrived with the demons traveling with our brother Belgarath,” finished Belkira.

“I see.” Javelin finished his bowl of stew. He drank deeply from his water cup. “Judging by his appearance, I'd say he's a demon himself, am I correct?”

“Of course, you stupid human!” Jaken shouted, shaking a small fist. “I'm a toad demon. I shouldn't even be here with you dreadful humans. I should be with my lord, not entertaining the likes of you!”

“He's a bit feisty, isn't he?” Javelin deadpanned. “Makes me wonder what the other demons look like.”

“They don't look anything like Jaken here. The other two are mostly human-looking. The one called Sesshomaru is tall with long silver hair. He has a few markings on his face, one in the shape of a crescent moon. His ears are pointed unlike a human's though. Inuyasha, is only half. He also has silver hair, but no markings. He has dog ears instead, though.”

“Dog ears, eh? Strangest demons I've ever heard of, that's for sure,” Javelin said. He pointed at Jaken, asking, “So, why isn't he with the other demons?”

“It was agreed that it would be best for Jaken to stay here in the Vale with us---” Belkira said.

“---due to his peculiar appearance. Our brother Belgarath thinks it would be best not to draw unnecessary attention to his traveling party, especially when venturing to Torak's ancient city,” concluded Beltira.

“I can imagine,” Javelin replied. “He's most unusual, I'll say.”

“I have ears! I am right here, you stupid humans!” Jaken stood, gripping his staff in his hands. He pointed it at them, shaking it. “It doesn't matter what any of you think! I'm here because my lord said I should be here. As if any mere mortals such as yourselves could tell me what to do! Such impudent creatures!”

Beltira sighed. “Jaken, we don't mean any offense. Please, don't take any.”

Jaken snorted, glaring at everyone in the small, round room. He looked down to his bowl and started to eat. By now, it was tepid, and not nearly as appetizing. He slumped. All he had wanted to do was enjoy his meal, not be scrutinized by a curious mortal. Now he couldn't even do that. Pushing his bowl aside, he leaned his elbow on the table, resting his head on his hand. Perhaps he had been better off by the Tree, after all. He murmured to himself, “Why Sesshomaru-sama? Why did you make me stay behind?”

Beltira picked up Jaken's nearly empty bowl, refilling it. He placed it down in front of the toad demon. “Here. Perhaps this will help.”

Jaken looked up and noticed that the old sorcerer's clean-shaven face had broken into a gentle smile. A softness filled Beltira's blue eyes and he tilted his head towards the bowl he had just served to the toad. The open warmth that filled the old man's creased face reminded Jaken so much of Rin. He may have complained about the inclusion of Rin in his life, but Jaken had to admit that she was the only one who smiled at him that way---until now. Behind that warmth resided a mild fondness. The toad demon found himself returning the smile, even if momentarily. He murmured, “Thanks.”

Beltira nodded, his long silver hair appearing ruddy in the fire lit room. He replied, “You're welcome.”

“Javelin, you said you came here seeking our advice for Porenn and the Alorn Council,” Belkira said.

“Yes. We originally intended to send some one else from the Boktor office, but I believed I should handle this myself. We didn't want anyone who wouldn't understand the Vale venturing here to disturb you.” Javelin sat back, relaxing in his chair. “Porenn really wants to have your advice. We're really stuck, and I know we can't rely on Belgarath to fix this mess, not this time. We know we have to keep the West from imploding while they complete their mission at the City of Endless Night.”

“What type of advice were you---” started one twin.

“---seeking from us?” the other finished.

“Well, it wasn't so much asking you here, it was more like Porenn hopes you will join us at the Council. We really need your advice and it'd just be easier on everyone if you were there in Boktor with us. I know you have your duties in the Vale, but I don't know how much time we have before Cthol Murgos spills into the rest of the western Angarak Kingdoms. If they should move north and conquer both Mishrak ac Thull and Gar og Nadrak, we'll have a massive Angarak force on both Drasnia and Algaria's borders.” Javelin drank from his water cup.

“We see. It is quite the crisis. You'll have to tell us more about what you know.”

“What is going on in Cthol Murgos? You'll have to forgive us, we have heard very little while in the Vale. We do know that it is becoming troublesome, but not much more.”

“Urgit has lost control of his country, essentially. From the agents we could sneak into the country, we learned that he's in Rak Cthan. They're laying siege to the city. A Hierarch is running Cthol Murgos from Rak Goska. The last communications from our contacts indicate once he can eliminate Urgit they'll march northwards and take Mishrak ac Thull. The Thulls will fall easily and without much of a fight. They know if they fight back, Grolims will up their sacrifices,” Javelin explained. “The real unknown is Gar og Nadrak. They hate Murgos as much as we Alorns, but I don't know if they have enough numbers alone to resist a combined Murgo-Thull force.”

Jaken watched the men as they talked, savoring his stew quietly. He dipped some bread into it. All of this talk did not really concern him. Why it mattered what humans did to one another still perplexed the toad. They were all mortals and they wouldn't live for very long in the first place. Why did it matter if they had wars? Why should it concern him? He had no desire to get involved in this mess. He didn't even really know what a Murgo or Thull was, but figured they were both some race of humans. Chewing his gravy-soaked bread, the toad glared at the strange, thin man in disdain. All of this foolish talk of a war between humans annoyed Jaken.

“That is troublesome. Belgarath has told us he is sending back Hettar, Mandorallen and Barak with special instructions. We won't know what those are until they arrive. He said it was something he didn't want to send to us by thought alone.” Belkira frowned, rubbing his chin.

“I'm afraid if we don't act soon, we shall find the West in ruins. We haven't seen the Angaraks act this way since before the Battle of Thull Mardu. We can thank Belar that we don't have the Malloreons joining their numbers,” Javelin said.

Beltira and Belkira glanced at one another, nodding. They looked over the room, looking towards both Eriond and Geran. The young man watched with serious blue eyes as he held a drowsy three year old. They turned, facing Jaken, nodding. They said in unison, “We will go to Boktor to help you with this. We can't let the Murgos overrun the West while our brother journeys to the EVENT.”

“Good. That was the answer I was hoping for. I know it's a bit much to ask you to leave your studies, but I'm not sure we can do this without your advice.” Javelin's angular face softened with a smile. “I think we might have a chance with your help. How does departing in the morning sound to you?”

“We can agree to that. What about you, Eriond and Jaken?” both twins asked. “Does that work for you?”

Jaken nearly choked on the bread he was eating. He cleared his throat and jumped up from his seat. “What does this have to do with me? I don't see why I should waste my time getting involved with a foolish human war.” He knew he should remain in the Vale. After all, his lord had ordered him to remain here. Here he would stay until Sesshomaru told him otherwise. “I'm not going. You can forget it.”

“But Jaken, there won't be anyone---”

“---here. We can't leave you here by yourself. We know you're waiting for your lord, but we know that they won't be back here for quite some time, still. They have yet to reach Cthol Mishrak. They have to reach Ashaba first and they haven't done that, either. They will have to journey back from there when they're done. It might be more than a couple months before they come home.”

Jaken stood, glaring at the two, silver-haired old men. His lord had told him specifically to remain here. He couldn't go against a direct order like that. He may not have enjoyed being left behind in the Vale, but he knew he had to do as Sesshomaru commanded. “I don't see why I should have to go. This war doesn't involve me. I'm stay here.”

Eriond shook his head. “Jaken, we all have to go. You can't stay here alone. Once the twins leave, if you go outside, the towers will lock behind you. You're going to have to go with.”

Javelin looked from Jaken to the twins. “I guess if he has to come along, he has to come along, but what about his appearance?”

“What's wrong with my appearance, you obnoxious human?” Jaken turned, glaring at the rail-thin man.

“Nothing's wrong with it, it's just a little exotic is all,” Javelin replied. “I just don't know how our Tolnedran brothers will handle the likes of you, that's all.” He smiled. “It'll be an interesting experience to say the least.”

Beltira said, “We'll handle that when we get there.”

“I never said I was going along! I haven't agreed to any such thing!” Jaken shouted. “You can't speak for me!”

The other twin sighed. Belkira shook his head. “But Jaken, you can't stay here. Eriond's right. The towers will be inaccessible once we leave. You have to come with us. I know your lord told you to stay here, but you have to come with us. We'll most likely be back here before they can get back. We're only going to Boktor. It's directly north of us. We'll be there in about a week or less on horseback. With Algar horses, we can be there in five or less days.”

“He's right, Jaken.” Eriond nodded. “With Horse, we can get there even faster. I can get us there in less than half a day. I know you worry about Sesshomaru's orders to stay here, but we're not traveling all that far.”

Jaken's brows furrowed. Eriond's horse certainly held unusual properties. If it could cross ground as quickly as Sesshomaru, then the distance between the Vale and this Boktor wouldn't be a real issue. His shoulders slumped. “Fine, but only if I know I can return to the Vale before Sesshomaru-sama does.”

“Don't worry. Our brother will tell us---” began Beltira.

“---when they are done with their mission in Cthol Mishrak as soon as they finish it. We'll know when they are heading home as soon as they start. We'll have you back in the Vale for Sesshomaru's return. We promise,” finished Belkira. “Does that satisfy you, Jaken?”

“Yes.” He sighed. “I suppose so.”

“That's settled then. We should leave at dawn. Does that work for everyone?”

“Yes, that works for us,” the twins said in unison. “We might fly, if you don't mind. It's easier for us.”

“Understandable. I'll ride up there and if you should arrive first, it'll be fine. Porenn already has heard most of my advice, which was to talk to you,” Javelin deadpanned.

“Horse can take Jaken and I to Boktor. It'll be easier. Besides, Horse hasn't been able to really run like he likes for quite awhile,” Eriond said.

“Good. That works. I can't argue with that. I will handle Prince Geran's travel, if that works for you, Belkira, Beltira? I have an Algarian escort waiting for me outside the Vale. I assure you that the Crown Prince of Riva will be protected. I have no desire to have an angry Belgarion after my head for any misfortune befalling his son.”

Geran yawned from his spot on Eriond's lap. He blinked, looking at the thin man. “Errand, what does he mean? I'm not riding with you and Horse?”

“No, I'm afraid not this time, Geran. It'd be best if you rode with Margrave Khendon this time.”

“But I want to ride with you, Errand.” Geran's lips formed into a pout.

“I know you do. I promise I'll let you ride with me and Horse when we get back to the Vale, okay?”

Geran sighed, hugging Eriond. He nodded, his small face grave. “Okay, Errand. If you promise.” He yawned, resting his head onto the young man's shoulders. His eyes fell closed and he fell fast asleep.

“That works for us. We know you'll keep him safe,” Beltira said. “We should all get some rest. It will be a long day tomorrow.”