Crossover Fan Fiction / InuYasha Fan Fiction ❯ The Journey to the City of Endless Night ❯ Chapter Sixty Four ( Chapter 64 )

[ X - Adult: No readers under 18. Contains Graphic Adult Themes/Extreme violence. ]

A/N: For more information, review responses, and other news, please visit my live journal at farawayeyes4.
 
Chapter Sixty Four
 
The tension was palpable as the tents came down in hushed silence. Everyone kept themselves occupied as the angry shouts could still be heard on the outskirts of camp. Packs were tethered to the pack-horses as they prepared to return to the road. In the center of camp, the morning dishes were hastily done. Silk poured the used water onto the fire, dousing it, and a hazy gasp of steam escaped into the light breeze. The smith busied himself with checking over their mounts, brushing off acquired burrs and securing saddles. A few times, he lifted the hooves of random horses, inspecting their shoes.
 
Miroku hastily tore down the tent he and Sango had shared the night before. He wrapped the ropes around the poles, securing them together. Stretching the tent fabric between them, the monk and demon slayer folded it, preparing it for a pack-horse. Their hands brushed against one another, and Miroku smiled shyly as he caught Sango's light blush. She let go and turned away, hefting her weapon onto her shoulder. The monk sighed and shook his head as he finished folding the tent cloth.
 
Glancing over his shoulder, Miroku saw Shippo pacing. The fox kit's tail twitched nervously, and he clenched a small fist at his side. As more shouts could be heard, Shippo stopped and stared in their direction. His small body tensed, and he growled softly. Miroku sighed, knowing he'd have to distract the boy again before he ran towards the conflict.
 
As soon as Inuyasha had left to face Koga, Shippo had tried to follow. He had been told, as they all had, to stay put. Inuyasha had made it clear that he would handle it alone. He said that he had to defend his claim to his mate, and that meant he didn't need any interference, especially from a certain little boy. The monk knew that Shippo was only concerned that something might happen to Kagome; however, Miroku also knew it was unlikely that Inuyasha would lose to the wolf-prince. Since then, save for hasty packing, the monk's primary concern was keeping the kit with him.
 
Rin's scream hadn't helped matters, either. After that, the already tense situation had only become that much more stifling. Whatever was happening on the edge of camp had terrified the little girl, which undoubtedly meant the Demon Lord had joined his brother in opposition to Koga. Thankfully, the only positive that had developed, was the fact that Shippo was deterred from heading in the direction of the shouting. The little boy's fear of Sesshomaru had made Miroku's task easier---at least for a little while. Unfortunately, it hadn't lasted long enough.
 
“Shippo, at least help pack things up.” The monk held up the rolled-up tent. “Why don't you take the tent and help put it onto one of the pack-horses?”
 
Shippo glanced over his shoulder at Miroku and shook his head. He turned back towards the shouts, growling louder. The little boy seemed to vibrate with the force of them, and the monk thought he could see the flare of fox fire surround Shippo. The little boy muttered underneath his breath, “He better leave mother alone.”
 
Miroku's eyes met Sango's. A worried frown crossed the demon slayer's face, and she tensed. Sango tilted her head in Shippo's direction. Miroku looked at the little boy, watching his tail twitch frantically as Shippo became increasingly agitated. He called out to distract the boy, “Shippo---”
 
Another shout could be heard, and before either Miroku or Sango could stop him, Shippo broke out into a sprint. He would have to be stopped before he could reach the brawl, and get hurt. The angry bellowing indicated that violence was soon to follow. It would be no place for a little boy. It would be likely that Shippo would get in the middle and go unnoticed, only to get seriously injured in the process.
 
“Shippo! No!” Miroku ran after him, grabbing the fleeing boy by the tail. He didn't intend to apprehend Shippo that way, but it had been all he could grasp. “You have to stay here.”
 
Shippo turned, throwing fox fire at the monk. He missed, singeing a few hairs by Miroku's ear. He struggled in the monk's grip. “Let me go! Kagome needs me!”
 
“No, Shippo. Inuyasha told you to stay here. He doesn't want you to get hurt.”
 
“No! What if Koga takes her away?” Shippo twisted, trying to break free. “Let me go!”
 
“Now, Shippo, you know Inuyasha wouldn't let that happen.” Miroku sighed, crossing back to Sango.
 
“You don't know that!” Shippo kicked at him. “Let me go!”
 
“Come now, Shippo.” Miroku shook his head. “Besides, Sesshomaru-sama's over there, too.”
 
Shippo ceased struggling. “S-Sesshomaru-sama?”
 
“Yes, and I'm certain that he's not terribly happy at the moment, either.” Miroku hoped that by tapping into the fox kit's fear of the Demon Lord, he'd be able to keep Shippo away from the fight.
 
Shippo gulped, slumping. His green eyes went wide and he trembled. “He's---he's not happy?”
 
Sango nodded in Miroku's direction, and said, “I agree. I don't think he's all that happy, especially after something over there frightened Rin. I have a funny feeling he's terribly angry.”
 
Shippo bit his lip, a tiny fang peeking at the corner of his mouth. Tears welled up in the little boy's eyes. He strained against Miroku's grip again, trying to get loose. “I don't care! I'm still going over there.”
 
Miroku tightened his hold on the boy, his eyes falling closed in frustration. He said, his voice firm, “You wouldn't want to get in Sesshomaru-sama's way, would you? You know what he does to those who get in his way, after all.” It might have been a little harsh, but if he could needle Shippo's fear, he could keep him safe and out of harm's way.
 
Shippo tried to tug himself free even more before he crossed his arms, sighing in exasperation. His lower lip stuck out into a pout. “It's not fair! I hate being a stupid little child!”
 
Quiet filled the camp as the bellowing finally ended. Everyone quickened their pace as they loaded the pack-horses. The only tents left to dismantle belonged to Sesshomaru and Rin, as well as Inuyasha and Kagome's. The apprehension hung heavily in the air, almost more smothering than the arguing had been. Even if the outcome remained unknown, they had to be ready to travel as the terrain around them still remained dangerous.
 
Miroku eased Shippo into Sango's arms. He shook his head when the little boy began to protest. Leaning towards Shippo, he said softly, “I'm going to find out what happened out there, alright? I know you want to come with, but you wouldn't want to disappoint Kagome by not listening to Inuyasha, right? He wants you to stay here so he can keep you safe. I'll be back as soon as I can.”
 
Shippo looked down, frowning. He sighed. “Okay.”
 
Miroku straightened himself, and said to Sango, “Hold onto Shippo.”
 
“Alright, monk. Just be careful.” Sango took a firm grip on Shippo, holding the boy to her chest.
 
“Aren't I always?” He winked at the demon slayer, feeling smug at the sight of the soft blush crossing her cheeks.
 
As he made his way towards the edge of camp, Miroku passed the old man. Belgarath muttered to himself, “I wonder when it started talking to Inuyasha. I have no doubt that it did, but why? I wonder what it's up to now.”
 
Miroku frowned, now worried about his friend. Before the monk could ask the old sorcerer what he had meant, he had already made his way to the pack-horses. He could either go and ask, or find out for himself. The only thing that would put his mind at ease would be if he saw Inuyasha. With that in mind, Miroku continued until he reached the outskirts of the now dissolved camp, assessing the situation before him.
 
On one side of the small clearing, Sesshomaru sat cradling the terrified Rin to his chest protectively. The little girl's arms were wrapped tightly around the Demon Lord's neck, and she whimpered softly. In answer, quiet rumbles escaped Sesshomaru's throat. His fingers ran through her hair, and his cheek rested against the top of Rin's head. Miroku had never seen the Demon Lord be so tender.
 
To contradict this, Sesshomaru's gold eyes were narrowed, fury boiling deep inside. A few times, red flashed deep within them, and the monk realized how much restraint the Demon Lord had placed upon his rage. Sesshomaru could have easily given in and mercilessly slaughtered anyone he perceived as a threat, yet he hadn't. Miroku shuddered when that gaze met his. He had been right to keep Shippo away. The calculated anger chilled him, and the monk was thankful that it hadn't been directed towards him.
 
Next to Sesshomaru knelt the dark-haired sorceress. A serious expression crossed her fair face, and she frowned. The woman sighed, and said, “Please, let me help her. She really must have her twisted ankle looked at.”
 
Sesshomaru looked towards her, and the monk was grateful not to be underneath the Demon Lord's scrutiny any longer. Through clenched teeth, he said, “Do not make this Sesshomaru repeat himself. Leave us.”
 
A low, malicious growl drew Miroku's attention to the others in the clearing. Koga stood there, before the strange, tawny-haired woman, clutching his cheek. His blue eyes narrowed, and he snarled, “Why you bitch---”
 
Miroku stared in fascination, amazed that the woman had the gall to strike the wolf-prince. She stepped closer to Koga, and said, her tone forceful, “Moreover, a pack-leader who encourages their pack to disregard custom is not worthy to have the dignified position of pack-leader.”
 
The monk was uncertain as to what the woman meant by custom, but he knew the wolf would be highly insulted nonetheless. Right now, the dispute between the strange woman and Koga was the least of Miroku's concerns. Glancing around, he spotted Inuyasha not far from the arguing pair, and the monk felt his eyes go wide. There stood his friend, transformed into his full-demon status, crimson eyes fixated on Koga. His lengthened fangs were bared in warning, and he growled menacingly. Why everyone hadn't been slaughtered was beyond Miroku. What troubled him the most, however, was the fact that Tetsusaiga was not at his friend's hip. How would they get him to convert back to his hanyou form?
 
The tawny-haired woman turned her back on the exasperated Koga, signaling the end to their argument. She joined Sesshomaru and Rin, resting a hand on the little girl's shoulders. Again, her bravery astounded Miroku. First she had stood her ground with Koga, now she was encroaching upon the Demon Lord. How ever troubling that was, returning Inuyasha to normal came first and foremost.
 
The monk tensed as he watched Kagome rush to the enraged half-demon turned full. He worried that his friend would harm the young girl in this state, and be unable to forgive himself later. Miroku wanted to say or do something before it was too late, but found himself unable to move. To his surprise, Inuyasha's arms wrapped around Kagome, his deadly, lengthened claws gently running through her hair.
 
Kagome whispered, “Inuyasha, it's alright.”
 
Miroku was relieved that Inuyasha hadn't hurt Kagome. In the past, her presence had soothed Inuyasha while he was this way, so it surmised that this time would not be much different. He still didn't understand what had threatened Inuyasha to drive his demon blood to take control, nor could he explain why Inuyasha hadn't rampaged. Miroku knew that Koga couldn't have injured Inuyasha enough to be life-threatening.
 
Kagome gently reached up, rubbing one of Inuyasha's ears between her fingers. The red melted into gold briefly, and a low growl resembling a purr elicited from the transformed hanyou's throat. Her fingers brushed against the half-demon's stripes, tracing them. Miroku watched in awe as Kagome calmed the furious Inuyasha, hoping that he would revert to normal before it was too late. Kagome rested her hand onto his cheek, and leaned in, kissing the other. She whispered, “I'm not going anywhere.”
 
Inuyasha's crimson gaze flooded with ardent lust, and he touched Kagome's cheek with more tenderness than Miroku thought he possessed in this state. The half-demon communicated his love for the young miko through the delicate touch of his sharp, dangerous claws on her skin. Inuyasha pushed her hair aside, revealing not the bruises that Miroku knew had been there for quite some time, but rather a small, white scar resembling one of the purple slashes on the half-demon's cheeks. Miroku knew he hadn't seen it before now, but believed it might have been the mark that signified Kagome was his friend's mate. The monk felt heat flush his face as he watched Inuyasha's tongue sensuously circle it. His friend's rough voice hissed, “Mine.”
 
Miroku looked away, not wanting to intrude on the scene before him any longer. Although he knew that others viewed him as a lecher, albeit somewhat true, the monk knew now was not the time to indulge. His friend still remained transformed, and therefore felt threatened. It was possible that Inuyasha still might rampage, especially if he felt too many males imposed upon him and his mate. As long as his friend was in this state, it remained dangerous. Again, Miroku was thankful that he had left Shippo behind with Sango. Now if he could just solve the dilemma of how to defuse the situation, perhaps they could avoid a disaster, especially one that would upset Inuyasha when he returned to himself.
 
The monk also wondered what the old sorcerer had meant about someone speaking with Inuyasha. After what had happened at the inn, Miroku worried that his friend might find himself suffering another similar attack. The monk hoped that was not the case. Obviously, it concerned the old sorcerer, but what would Belgarath do about it? Right now, all Miroku wanted to do was find a way to return Inuyasha back to normal. As long as Koga stayed, he knew that was nearly impossible. The mere presence of the wolf-prince fueled his friend's rage.
 
On top of that, Koga seemed determined to challenge Inuyasha for rights to Kagome. The wolf-prince prepared to attack the pair, growling. He shouted, “Kagome was mine first!”
 
Miroku watched in horror, knowing that such a challenge would have to be answered. Inuyasha's form tensed, and he lifted his head, unbridled fury churning in his red eyes. A feral growl emanated from deep in his throat, and he bared his elongated fangs. Inuyasha gripped Kagome tightly around the waist, pulling her closer to his body, and whispered, his voice cold, “What did you say, you disgusting, useless wolf?”
 
“You heard me, dog-shit. I said she was mine first.”
 
The monk's eyes went wide, frozen to his spot. He couldn't believe the audacity of the wolf-prince. Did Koga value his life at all? It was as if the wolf-demon wanted Inuyasha to rampage and kill him. The way he egged the half-demon on certainly provided evidence to that. The scene before them seemed to escalate each moment, the tension unbearable. Miroku feared that Inuyasha would lose whatever tenuous control he had at any moment, and that there would be nothing to stop him from slaughtering Koga or anyone else who got in his way. Without Tetsusaiga at hand, the monk feared his friend would succumb for good to the demon blood boiling within.
 
Malice flooded Inuyasha's eyes, and they narrowed as he protectively pulled Kagome closer. He started to push her behind him, his transformed face eerily calm. Determination filled his red eyes, and Miroku knew that the hanyou's intention was to eliminate the threat that Koga posed. Once he set it in motion, there would be nothing to stop Inuyasha from slaughtering the foolish wolf-prince. A small, vicious smirk crossed the half-demon's lips as he focused on his prey.
 
Distracting him from his target, Kagome threw herself into Inuyasha's path, hugging him. She held onto his fire-rat tightly, pleading with him. Miroku watched the half-demon back down, returning his full attention towards the young miko, and the monk inwardly sighed in relief. They had come close to witnessing the full brutality of Inuyasha's demon blood. Inuyasha's arms wrapped tightly around Kagome, growling softly. Although Kagome had put a stop to Inuyasha's advances on Koga, the danger had certainly not passed.
 
Miroku gasped as he watched Koga step closer and growled threateningly. Didn't Koga realize how dangerous Inuyasha was in this state? There would be no mercy, there would be nothing to stop Inuyasha if he should attack the wolf-prince. The monk wasn't even sure if Kagome's sit command could stop Inuyasha from slaughtering Koga.
 
The wolf-prince shouted, “You bastard half-breed! You took what was rightfully mine!”
 
Before Inuyasha could respond to this challenge, Kagome glared over her shoulder at Koga. Her gold-flecked eyes narrowed, indignation blazing in their depths, and a disapproving scowl crossed her face. She turned her back on Koga, and it didn't escape Miroku's notice that the wolf-prince's tail drooped and his shoulders slumped. She had forced the foolish wolf-demon to back down where Inuyasha's growls of warning had failed.
 
“Look at me, Inuyasha.” Kagome turned Inuyasha's face towards hers, cupping it in her hands. His red eyes softened and his tense frame relaxed slightly.
 
Koga whispered, his voice crestfallen, “Kagome?”
 
Kagome nuzzled her nose under Inuyasha's chin before burrowing her face into his shoulder. The half-demon's arms wrapped around her, pulling her close, and his eyes fell shut as he held her. A soft, contented sigh escaped the transformed Inuyasha, and he whispered, “Kagome.”
 
Miroku knew he had a short amount of time before something else would upset Inuyasha again, and the hanyou's rage could only be curbed so many times before it erupted. As long as Kagome provided Inuyasha a distraction, he'd have to take advantage of it before it was too late. To return his friend to normal, he'd have to act now. The only thing that Miroku knew would reverse Inuyasha's transformation was Tetsusaiga. That meant he would have to find it and get it in his friend's hands quickly.
 
Turning, the monk fled the way he had come. The first place he'd check would be Inuyasha and Kagome's tent, and if Tetsusaiga wasn't there, Buddha only knew where it might be. He hoped that the tent would still be standing, because Miroku wasn't certain where else to look. Once they had packed things up, the sword could be on any number of pack-horses, making his search that much more difficult. Another threatening growl reached the determined monk's ears, and the urgency of the situation caused him to run faster.
 
Miroku rushed past the horses, startling a few. Loud snorts and neighs could be heard, and a couple mounts reared up, kicking, and blocked the monk's path. Others stomped, their tails swishing with unease. Durnik gripped the reins on the over-excited animals, his enormous muscles straining underneath his tunic. A determined grimace crossed Durnik's plain face as he struggled to bring them under control.
 
One agitated horse bucked, trying to break free. It then reared, trying to bring its front hooves onto Durnik's head. The smith stood calm, tugging the reins harder. He whispered to the frightened animal, “Now, now, settle.”
 
Oddly, the horse seemed to be frozen in mid-air, one hoof mere inches from Durnik's head. He slowly lowered the animal to the ground, the other disturbed mount shortly after. The smith rubbed the noses on both upset mounts, slipping apples to them. As quickly as they had become excited, they now seemed peaceful and content. Durnik smiled, and said, “That's much better.”
 
Miroku shouted over his shoulder as he pressed onwards, “Sorry! I didn't mean to disturb them!”
 
Arriving back in the dismantled camp, the monk saw Silk and Velvet hurriedly pulling down the hanyou and miko's tent. He ran faster, waving his hand at them. Miroku shouted, “No! Wait! Don't take it down yet!”
 
Silk stopped pulling on a stake, his beady eyes squinting into the morning sun. “What is it, Miroku?”
 
“Let me in that tent before you take it down. I need something in there.” Miroku stopped in front of the half torn down tent, bending over to catch his breath. “It's important. Just wait a minute. Please.”
 
Sango and Shippo joined them, the demon slayer holding the kit firmly against her chest. She frowned, concern in her eyes. “What's going on, monk? What do you need in Inuyasha and Kagome's tent?”
 
Shippo said, panic filling his voice, “Something happened to Kagome, didn't it? She's hurt, isn't she?”
 
Instead of answering, Miroku shook his head, waving them back. Right now, he didn't have the time to pacify the young kit or answer any questions. It was crucial he locate Tetsusaiga and get it back into Inuyasha's hands immediately. Even if Miroku took time to answer their questions, he wasn't certain he'd be right. He pushed into the tent, scanning the floor, only to find it empty, and dread flooded through him. The tent had been his best and only lead.
 
If it took much longer to find the demon blade, the monk wasn't sure if Inuyasha could keep control over his blood, especially as threatened as it felt right now. There was also the possibility that not only would the half-demon turned full would rampage, but the full-blooded one wouldn't be far behind. Both were angry and worked up, a dangerous combination. It seemed both struggled with their demonic blood, if the brief flicker of crimson in Sesshomaru's eyes had meant anything.
 
Miroku cursed uncharacteristically out loud, “Shit. Now what do I do?”
 
“Monk, what are you looking for? Tell me what's going on,” Sango demanded.
 
Quickly exiting the nearly torn down tent, Miroku brushed past the pair, irritably muttering, “Not now.”
 
He glanced around frantically, trying to see if the sword had been set aside outside the tent, and not packed yet. He frowned, demanding, “Silk, was there a sword in the tent by any chance?”
 
Silk rubbed his chin, his weasel face thoughtful. “No, can't say we saw one. It might have been packed already.”
 
Velvet started to roll the tent fabric around the poles. “Someone else packed their belongings. We were just tearing the tent down while they packed Sesshomaru and Rin's things. Belgarath wants us to hit the road as soon as possible, once the debate on the outskirts of camp is resolved, that is.”
 
Miroku clenched the hand with his Wind Tunnel into a tight fist, the beads digging in. He muttered, “Damn it.”
 
“Sword? Monk, you don't mean Tetsusaiga, do you?” Sango gripped Shippo more as he struggled to get away.
 
“Koga beat Inuyasha and now he's transformed, isn't he?” Shippo's green eyes brimmed with tears. “He let Koga take mother away! I knew it!”
 
Miroku glared at the kit, frustration and panic filling him. They were running out of time and he didn't need the boy's fears to add to that. He took a deep breath, meditating for a moment. He asked, his voice calmer, “Who packed their belongings?”
 
“Belgarath had Ce'Nedra do it. He came and grabbed Polgara's medicine bag and told her to get everything else packed up. We offered to take down the remaining tents,” Silk said.
 
“Medicine bag?” Sango exclaimed behind Miroku. “Did someone get hurt? Just what is going on out there?”
 
Miroku sighed. He ignored Sango's questions, not wanting to give into the panic again. He said, “I see.”
 
The spy gestured towards the tiny red-head. “Anyways, you could try asking her. She might know where the sword is.”
 
The monk squinted into the glare of the early morning sun, spotting the little queen. She stood near the pack-horses, drawing her travel cloak about her shoulders. He hoped that she'd remember which animal she had packed Tetsusaiga onto.
 
Miroku nodded towards the thief. “Thanks.”
 
“Good luck, monk.”
 
Miroku hastily crossed to Ce'Nedra, Sango and Shippo trailing anxiously not far behind. He said, skipping the usual pleasantries, “There was a sword. You packed a sword. Do you remember where you put it?”
 
Sucking on a lock of copper hair, Ce'Nedra said, “Let me think a moment. I do remember a sword, yes. In a black sheath, right?”
 
“Yes. So you remember it. Good. Which pack? It's very important that I get it.” The monk stressed his last sentence, making his voice as serious as possible.
 
The petite red-head nodded, searching through various packs. She muttered, “I know I packed that sword. I remember seeing it. Now where did I put it?”
 
Miroku clenched his teeth to keep himself from snapping at her. He sighed. “Which pack-horses did you pack things onto? Perhaps I can help you find it.”
 
Ce'Nedra bit her lip. “Sure. I only packed these horses.” She pointed to the last four horses in the caravan. “That sword has to be on one of them.”
 
“Monk, just tell me what's going on already.” Sango joined him by the horses, leaning in to look him in the eye. “Why are you looking for Tetsusaiga, and how come Inuyasha doesn't have it?”
 
“Koga hurt Kagome, didn't he?” Shippo asked. “That's why they needed the medicine bag, isn't it?”
 
Miroku waved them back again, shushing them. He tore into the packs, trying to locate Tetsusaiga amongst the cooking supplies, spare clothing, and odds and ends. He swore, feeling frustrated. “Damn it! Where the hell is it?”
 
Ce'Nedra pulled the sword from a pack on the last horse. “Of course! I should have remembered I put it here. I wasn't sure if I should pack it or not. Belgarath said to pack everything, so I waited.”
 
Miroku dropped Kagome's bag, snatching Tetsusaiga from the queen's grasp. He bowed his head slightly, and said in a rush, “Thank-you so much.” He started to run, and shouted over his shoulder, “I couldn't have found it without you!”
 
Sango caught up to him, Shippo riding on her shoulder. “Wait up, monk. Not so fast. Shouldn't we come with you if it's that dangerous? Who got hurt? Tell us something!”
 
Miroku stopped, squeezing Tetsusaiga's hilt in his cursed hand. “No. You stay here with Shippo. Trust me, alright?”
 
Sango glared at him, frowning. “Monk, if there's something going on and our friends need help, shouldn't we all go?”
 
Tears filled Shippo's eyes. “I want to help Kagome!”
 
Miroku shook his head. He put his other hand onto Sango's free shoulder. “No. Just stay here. Try to keep Shippo calm.” He leaned, looking Shippo in the eye. “Shippo, you'll help her if you stay here, where it's safe. Inuyasha wants you to stay with Sango so you won't worry Kagome. Can you stay with Sango for her?”
 
Shippo rubbed his nose with the back of his hand, and nodded. “Okay.”
 
“Wait, monk. I never agreed to stay here.” Sango narrowed her eyes.
 
“Please, just trust me on this,” Miroku called over his shoulder as he ran back towards the outskirts of camp.
 
When he arrived, Miroku inwardly sighed in relief to see that Koga had left. It didn't matter why the wolf-prince had done so, all that mattered was that the threat he posed to Inuyasha was now gone. A soft growl drew his attention to Inuyasha, and the monk froze as that enraged crimson gaze locked on him. The hanyou's eyes narrowed---and a sneer crossed his face. Miroku realized that by being male, the half-demon might perceive him as a threat while in this state, so Miroku lowered his head, keeping his eyes on his friend. He hoped it'd appease him, so he could give Tetsusaiga back to its proper owner.
 
Inuyasha began to push Kagome behind him, his calculated red eyes fixed upon his new target. Kagome gripped his arm, staying him. She said, “No, Inuyasha. It's alright. He's not going to do anything to hurt us. He's with us. It's Miroku. He's here to help.”
 
Inuyasha stopped, and a low warning growl reverberated from his throat. He glanced towards Kagome, his voice harsh, “Stay behind me, Kagome.”
 
Kagome nodded, let Inuyasha's arm go, and took a step back. She whispered, “I trust you, Inuyasha.”
 
Miroku remained motionless, not wanting to needlessly startle Inuyasha. He kept his head down, and bit his lip, uncertain as to what had transpired between the two mates to make Kagome back away as she had. He just knew one wrong move on his part would cause Inuyasha to see him as a threat. The transformed hanyou stepped closer, and leaned in, sniffing. The monk clenched his teeth to keep from flinching, and Miroku felt panic rise in him, fearful that Inuyasha wouldn't recognize him. After all, in the past, Inuyasha had only remembered Kagome while in this frame of mind. Miroku squeezed Tetsusaiga in his hands, hoping he hadn't made a mistake.
 
Inuyasha leaned in more, until his face was mere inches from Miroku's. He closed his eyes, taking a deep breath. As he he exhaled, Miroku felt the warmth of Inuyasha's breath across his face. Inuyasha reopened his eyes, their red depths connecting with Miroku's. The tension in his frame eased, and the half-demon's deep, gravelly voice whispered, “Pack. Miroku.”
 
Miroku's eyes went wide, and he gulped, knowing how helpless he would have been if his friend hadn't acknowledged who he was. “Yes. Yes, Inuyasha. It's me, Miroku.” Slowly, the monk held up Tetsusaiga, resting it on his open palms in a non-threatening way. “I have something for you, Inuyasha.”
 
Inuyasha tensed, eying the sword carefully. He looked down, his bangs hiding his eyes from view. The half-demon reached out, hesitating. Inuyasha pulled his hand back, clenching it into a fist. He jumped away, and shook his head before dropping into a crouch, his fangs bared. He snarled, “I don't need it.”
 
Miroku bit his lip, and squeezed his hands around the sheathed sword. He hadn't anticipated his friend's rejection of Tetsusaiga, and knew he had to make his next move carefully. Miroku felt it pulse in his hands, feeling almost like a heart beat. He slowly took a step forward, holding the sword out again. The monk kept his eyes on Inuyasha, making sure to not make direct eye-contact. He noted the way the half-demon tensed as he approached, and said, making his voice as calm as possible, “Inuyasha, please, take it.”
 
Kagome approached from Inuyasha's left and said, her voice soft, “Inuyasha, it'll help you. Miroku's not trying to hurt you. Take Tetsusaiga back.”
 
Inuyasha glared at Kagome from the corner of his eye. He snapped, “Stay out of this, Kagome. Keep behind me. It's not safe yet.”
 
The miko stopped in her progression towards the half-demon. She whispered, “But Inuyasha, please---”
 
“I said no, Kagome.” Inuyasha clenched his teeth, panting. He whispered, “Please, let me keep you safe.”
 
The monk watched the exchange with dread, hoping the hanyou wouldn't force his mate to submit by force. Miroku knew that Inuyasha still felt threatened and the need to keep Kagome safe. He shifted his attention to the miko, waiting to see how she would respond to the half-demon's plead. In his palms, Tetsusaiga continued to pulse, growing stronger as it seemed to call out to its master. He curled his hands around it, feeling the steady beat flood throughout his body. Miroku cocked his head to one side a couple times, trying to communicate to Kagome that she should listen to Inuyasha, hoping she'd get the message.
 
Kagome bit her lip and lowered her head. She clenched a hand at her side, and nodded before stepping back. Her eyes connected with the monk's and Miroku saw the worry and fear in them. She replied, “Yes, Inuyasha.”
 
The half-demon's gaze returned to Miroku, and his ears flattened tightly to his skull, disappearing into his silver hair. He growled and gnashed his teeth together, trying to ward the monk away. Inuyasha took a step back, trying to place distance between him and the sword. He held up his hand, flashing his deadly claws. He snapped, “I said I don't need it.”
 
“But it's yours.” Stepping closer, Miroku outstretched his arms further. As he neared the half-demon, the sword gave an immense throb, causing a jolt to shoot through him. There was no doubt now, Tetsusaiga had called out to his friend. He whispered, “Please, take Tetsusaiga.”
 
Kagome began to approach again, laying a soothing hand on Inuyasha's shoulder. “Please, listen to Miroku. Take your sword back. Come back, Inuyasha.”
 
The agitated half-demon flinched away from his mate, snarling. He panted, shook his head, and said, his voice a low hiss, “You can't make me take it.” Inuyasha did a back flip to place more distance between him and the sword before landing back into a crouch. His lip curled back into a vicious sneer, and a low growl erupted from his throat. It faded, tapering into a soft whine. The hanyou whispered, his voice desperate, “I told you, I don't need it.” Inuyasha's feral eyes darted around the clearing, and he tensed. “That fucking wolf could come back and I won't need it to kill him. I don't care what you say.”
 
Miroku noted the distress that crossed Inuyasha's features. He had never seen his friend react with any emotion, save blood lust, while transformed. The monk stopped approaching the-half-demon, but still held the sword out. It still pulsated, yet not nearly as strong, and each time a small whine elicited from Inuyasha's throat. How would he convince Inuyasha that taking the sword would help? He asked, “Inuyasha? Please, at least consider taking it.”
 
Inuyasha's eyes locked on him, anger boiling deep in them. He lowered them to the sword, and quickly looked away. His ears pinned back, and another soft whine escaped. “No fucking way.” The hanyou shook his head. “I don't care what you say. That wolf comes back and I'll gut him with my own two hands for what he's done. You can't stop me this time. I don't care if you need him for something later. He comes back and he's dead.”
 
Miroku frowned, his brows furrowing. He bit his lip, not quite certain what Inuyasha meant. He hadn't said anything about Koga, so why did he keep bringing him up? All he had done is ask that Inuyasha accept the sword. He squared his shoulders, took a deep breath, and stepped closer to the agitated half-demon. “I promise, it'll help you, Inuyasha. Please, take your Tetsusaiga back.”
 
“No. I said, you can't make me take it back. ” Inuyasha lunged at him, knocking the sword away. He jumped away, landing back into a crouch. “I don't need it now.”
 
Miroku winced, looking down at his hands. The palm without his beads had a gash in it from Inuyasha's claws. He saw Tetsusaiga lying in the grass to his right, and he noticed that it still pulsed. He glanced towards Inuyasha and noticed that the hanyou had his hands on his ears, his eyes squeezed shut. Worry curled in his stomach, and he ignored the sting of pain in his palm. “Inuyasha? Are you alright?”
 
Inuyasha snarled, backing away from the sword. He said, “No. You can't tell me what to do. I will kill that wolf my way. I don't need that sword to do it. Leave me alone!” The hanyou panted, his eyes becoming wide. He whispered, his voice begging, “I can't take it back right now. Don't make me, please.”
 
Kagome inched around the hanyou's other side, careful to not get too close. She nodded in Miroku's direction and knelt down to pick up Tetsusaiga. She turned to face Inuyasha, placing the sword behind her back. Slowly, the miko approached the half-demon, and said, “Inuyasha, it's alright. Koga's gone. He won't come back. You can relax now.”
 
Inuyasha shook his head violently, trying to wave her away. He whimpered softly, slowly backing away from Kagome. “No. He'll try to hurt you. I won't let him hurt my mate, my pack. He'll hurt another one. I need to be ready.”
 
Kagome stopped, her hand on the sword tightening behind her back. She looked down, and Miroku saw her square her shoulders, sighing deeply. She said, her voice gentle, “Inuyasha, you have to trust me. Taking the sword back will help you, not hurt you. Please. Come back to us. You can't stay like that forever.”
 
The red eyes narrowed, and he snarled. “It's a trick. All of it's a trick. You want me to take it so I'll be weaker when that wolf comes back to hurt my mate, attack my pack. I won't fall for it. I'm the strongest I've ever been and I'll be ready when that disgusting excuse for a wolf comes back.”
 
Kagome bit her lip and Miroku noticed the almost imperceptible way her shoulders shook as she fought to keep tears from falling. She moved closer, her head down so Inuyasha wouldn't be able to see her face. Her voice was shaky as she said, “Inuyasha, don't you trust me? Please, come back.”
 
Inuyasha's harsh features softened and his ears twitched. He started to take a step towards Kagome, but hesitated mid-way through. Stiffening, Inuyasha snarled, his hands going to his ears, curled into tight fists. He shouted, “No! It's a trap to confine my power again. I won't go back. I'm stronger like this. I can protect my mate and pack better this way. Quit lying to me! Back off!”
 
Miroku felt the dread that had settled in the pit of his stomach rise again. He had been too late. They had lost Inuyasha forever to the demonic blood coursing through him. Not even Kagome had the power to convince him to take the sword. He was surprised that Inuyasha remained so lucid, remembering his pack and his responsibility to it. He had expected a howling, unintelligible monster he would have no choice but to kill, possibly by sucking him up into the void in his hand. This being standing in his friend's stead had more awareness of his surroundings than they had ever given him credit for in the past. They had assumed that he went mad, unable to discern friend from foe, only seeking bloodshed. Perhaps when he had first experienced the changes that had been true, but this time seemed different.
 
Inuyasha's agonized whine brought Miroku back to the scene at hand. He blinked as he saw the half-demon back away from Kagome as she approached carefully. Why she hadn't simply used her sit command and remedied the situation as quickly as possible perplexed the monk. Perhaps she didn't want to humiliate or hurt him anymore than he already was by the presence of his pulsing sword.
 
Inuyasha growled, shouting, “Shut the fuck up! I don't need you to tell me what to do or how to do things. You can't make me take it. You wouldn't let me kill that fucking wolf. You forced me to let him go, even after he challenged me for my mate and had already harmed one of my pack. You can't make me take the sword back, you hear me!”
 
Kagome took advantage of the hanyou's tirade, rushing to his side before he could flinch away again. She whispered, “Inuyasha, please, it's Kagome. Come back. We're alright. Please, take your sword. For me.” She let a few tears fall and quickly hugged him. “You said you'd never leave me behind. You promised.”
 
The startled half-demon turned full hadn't noticed that Kagome had slipped the hilt of Tetsusaiga back into his grasp. He stood rigid in her embrace, his eyes squeezed shut as a pained whine came from him. Inuyasha slumped, his breathing ragged. Slowly, the arm holding Tetsusaiga came up, pulling Kagome close. Inuyasha buried his face into the crook of her neck. His free arm wrapped around her, and the half-demon took a deep, shaky breath. His normal voice whispered, “Kagome, you're alright.”
 
Kagome lifted her head from his shoulder. “You're back.”
 
Inuyasha lifted his head and wrinkled his nose. His eyes opened to reveal honey gold instead of scarlet. Oddly, however, the jagged stripes remained. He said, “I didn't go anywhere, Kagome.”
 
“You did. I almost didn't reach you.” Kagome sobbed into his shoulder.
 
Inuyasha's eyes went wide and he tensed. “Shit. I hurt him. I can smell his blood.” He lowered his head and whispered, “I transformed, didn't I?”
 
“Of course you hurt him, Inuyasha. He threatened me and Rin.” Kagome looked up into Inuyasha's face. “You didn't kill him, though.”
 
“Miroku threatened you and Rin?” Inuyasha glanced towards Miroku, his eyes confused. “What are you talking about? He'd never do that.”
 
Kagome shook her head. “Koga did, not Miroku.”
 
“That worthless wolf---” Inuyasha growled. He calmed when Kagome hugged him tight. He pulled from her embrace, placed his sword back at its proper place at his hip, and slowly approached Miroku. Guilt lined his face and he frowned. A hushed whisper reached the monk's ears, “Oi, I'm sorry, Miroku. Shit, I could have really hurt you.”
 
Kagome frowned, joining him. “You didn't hurt him, you knew who he was.”
 
Miroku smiled nervously. “It's nothing I can't handle. He ran his cursed hand on the back of his neck. He squeezed his injured hand into a fist, pulling it against his chest. “Honestly. Don't worry about it.”
 
“Then why is blood running down your arm like that, monk?” Inuyasha's strong grip pulled Miroku's arm and he winced, more blood welling up to course down his forearm. The half-demon pushed the sleeve down, and frowned. “See? I hurt you, and it's my fault.”
 
Miroku laughed, the sound insincere to even his own ears. “It's nothing, really. I now have a matching hole in this hand for my cursed hand. It's not your fault, Inuyasha.”
 
“Like hell it isn't.” Inuyasha's ears drooped. He sighed, pulling his hood from around his shoulders, tearing a strip from it with his teeth. The hanyou placed a firm grip on the monk's wrist and wrapped the fabric around the wound and secured it with a knot. “There.”
 
Miroku smiled nervously. “All's well now. Everyone's safe.”
 
“Feh.”
 
The monk glanced over his shoulder when he heard the sounds of someone running towards them. Sango held her skirt up away from her feet as she ran, Shippo perched on her shoulder. She glared at him, and stopped, catching her breath.
 
Inuyasha snorted, eying him. “Didn't I tell all of you to stay back at camp, anyways?”
 
The monk stammered, staring at his friend. Rubbing the back of his neck with his now wrapped hand, Miroku said, “Well, we were just worried about you.”
 
Inuyasha looked down, his ears down. He lifted his head, and glared at him, snapping, “Oi. Next time listen to me when I say it's too dangerous. I don't say it for my own benefit, alright, monk?”
 
Shippo jumped from Sango's shoulder, landing on Inuyasha's. “I tried to keep Sango back at camp. Miroku said that you didn't want me to worry Kagome.”
 
“Good, brat. At least someone listens.” Inuyasha ruffled the kit's hair.
 
Sango huffed and crossed her arms. “I seem to remember having to hold you back several times, Shippo. In fact, didn't you say something about how Kagome needed your help, just in case Koga hurt her?
 
Inuyasha snorted. “That worthless excuse for a wolf never had a chance.” He pulled Kagome close. “As if I'd let someone so pathetic hurt my mate.”
 
Miroku sighed. The anger and contempt in Inuyasha's eyes inferred that there was something the hanyou was holding back. Perhaps he remembered more from his transformation than he let on. He'd wait until later to ask, but he certainly wanted to know what had happened out here this morning. Why did the sorcerer believe someone had talked to Inuyasha and just who was it? The half-demon had certainly shouted at some unseen person when refusing to take his sword. Why had Sesshomaru looked so furious, and why had Rin been so frightened? Just what did Koga have to do with it all? The way the Demon Lord glared at the wolf-prince indicated that there had to be some sort of connection. And most important, Miroku wanted an answer to why the half-demon hadn't possessed his sword.
 
The sounds of approaching horses and a wagon drew everyone's attention to the road. Miroku watched Inuyasha tense, his arm firmly gripping Kagome's waist. The half-demon's ears raised to full alert, and he placed his other hand onto Tetsusaiga's hilt. Shippo hugged himself close to Kagome, watching with wary green eyes.
 
Out of the corner of his eye, he saw the Demon Lord pull Rin closer, his growls of warning becoming louder. The dark-haired sorceress sighed and pulled her hand back, causing the strange tawny-haired woman to shake her head and laugh. Her stern gray eyes glared at the other woman, and she snapped, “It's not funny, mother.”
 
The wagon stopped in front of the group, and the blond king jumped down. He adjusted his sword on his back, and smiled wide. “I got the wagon just like you asked for, Aunt Pol. I even got it lined with a lot of blankets for extra cushioning.”
 
Polgara stood. She nodded, her white lock falling into her face. “Good, Garion. Thank-you. Go tell your grandfather that we should be ready to leave soon.”
 
“Yes, Aunt Pol.” The young man made his way towards the direction of the horses.
 
Inuyasha let Kagome go, and said, “Kagome, we should go finish packing.”
 
Miroku cleared his throat, drawing his friend's attention. “You won't have to. Ce'Nedra already packed your things. Belgarath told her to do it, so we wouldn't have to wait to start traveling again.”
 
“Oh. That was nice of her, wasn't it, Inuyasha?” Kagome said, leaning her head onto his shoulder.
 
“Feh.” He eased his arm around her shoulder, gently rubbing it. “Whatever.” He let go, picked up his discarded and battered hood, and pulled it back on. He then started towards the horses. “Come on, Kagome. Let's get ready for the road, then.”
 
“Okay.”
 
Miroku stepped out of the pair's way, letting them pass. He watched Kagome sneak her hand into Inuyasha's, their fingers interlocking. Shippo rode on the half-demon's shoulder, sucking on a lollipop the monk knew the boy had stashed in his coat. It seemed that now the crisis had passed that things were returning to normal.
 
Miroku shook his head, turning towards Sango. “Well, Sango, shall we?”
 
Sango turned her nose up at him and stalked away. Her hands were clenched at her sides, and she grumbled to herself. She stopped, and glanced over her shoulder, her eyes narrowed in anger. “Save it, monk.”
 
“Sango?” Miroku moved to join her when she turned her back on him and stomped away. He frowned, uncertain as to what he had done to anger her so. He called out, “Wait!”
 
Sango kept walking, her back straight and her form tense. She didn't answer as she stopped at her horse. The demon slayer rubbed her mount's nose, making sure everything was secure. She then jumped into the saddle, keeping her eyes averted from the monk on the ground. Kirara ran towards her, jumped up, and landed on her shoulder. Sango smiled at the fire-cat and gave her a pat on the head. “There you are, Kirara. Are you ready to go?”
 
Miroku slumped, knowing that she had no intention of talking to him. He sighed and shook his head before heading towards his own horse. It'd be best to let her cool down and ask her later. The monk climbed into the saddle, waiting to start traveling again. He winced as the reins dug into his cut palm, through the binding Inuyasha placed on it. Miroku whispered, “I guess that'll sting for awhile.”
 
While he waited, the smith pulled the wagon Garion had acquired to the back of the travel caravan. He gave a short tug on the reins, stopping the horse pulling it. “I'll take care of the wagon, alright, Belgarath?”
 
The old man nodded, roused from his saddle. He nodded, waving a hand. “Of course.”
 
He glanced over his shoulder as he heard Sesshomaru's tense voice snap, “This Sesshomaru will handle it.” The Demon Lord slowly walked towards the wagon, Rin cradled to his chest. The little girl's arms wrapped around his neck, and her face was buried in his chest, her feet dangling down. Her injured ankle had a small wrap around it. Sesshomaru glared at the sorceress. “There is no need for you to assist.”
 
Polgara crossed her arms and sighed. She climbed into the seat next to Durnik, and muttered, “That man is infuriating. At least he let me wrap her ankle finally.”
 
The strange tawny-haired woman nodded at Sesshomaru, and to Miroku's astonishment, the Demon Lord slowly eased Rin into her arms. He climbed into the wagon, slipped his fur from his shoulder, and settled back onto it. The woman wordlessly handed Rin back to him, and the little girl settled against Sesshomaru's broad chest, her eyes warily watching her surroundings. The woman then climbed into the wagon with them, sitting in an opposite corner, her gold eyes focused on the pair. A mysterious, soft smile crossed her lips.
 
Miroku shook his head, turning to find Silk next to him. The thief shook his head. “What did you do to Sango this time? I think she's ready to use that big weapon of hers on your head. Did you misbehave and try to grab her bottom again?”
 
“No, no.” Miroku sighed. “I don't know what I did to upset Sango. I'm going to give her some space until she's ready to talk. She will use that very weapon on my head if I push it.”
 
“I suggest, then, you give her your apology gift when we set up next camp.”
 
Miroku nodded. “I think that'd be a good idea, if she'll talk to me that is.”
 
Inuyasha and Kagome rode near the front, the hanyou riding in his saddle with a straight back. He swiveled his ears about, listening. Glancing over his shoulder, the hanyou's gold eyes met Miroku's, guilt in them. His stripes didn't seem to be fading, either. Inuyasha frowned and sighed. He turned away when Kagome gently placed a hand onto his arm, distracting him.
 
Belgarath glanced over the group, assessing things. He said, “Alright, let's go. We still have a lot of Venna to cross and we must hurry. We're too close to Mal Yaska for my tastes.”
 
The group pushed their mounts into a gallop, heading northwards. The country side was as desolate in the daylight as it had been throughout the night, and Miroku passed his bandaged hand in front of his lips, saying a quick prayer for the poor souls who had met their demise in the fields. So much death and destruction filled the land they traversed, and it saddened him that they couldn't stop to properly bury the dead and give these poor souls peace. The cackle and caws of ravens and crows filled the air around one devastated house, and Miroku looked away from it as they feasted. He just couldn't understand how things could have gotten this way.
 
The sun continued to rise, and the spring air became warmer. The monk glanced back towards Sango, noticing that she still had a scowl on her face. She narrowed her eyes when they met his and she looked away. Miroku sighed, realizing she must still be angry. He hoped that by the time the stopped to set camp later that afternoon she'd be in a much better mood. He wanted to make amends with her before he'd have to start from scratch in his courtship.
 
Looking over towards the wagon, the monk's eyes went wide. The tawny-haired woman sat watching the road, while Polgara and Durnik steered. What startled him was the way the Demon Lord sat with Rin, cradled between his legs, his arm about her waist. Both appeared to be asleep, but Miroku knew better. If anything, Sesshomaru was merely dozing. The expression on his face, however, belied the feelings he held for Rin. Miroku felt the corner of his lips upturn in a small smile. Sesshomaru's face looked peaceful, the smallest of smiles on his lips. The monk couldn't believe he hadn't seen it sooner. Not only did Sesshomaru feel possessive and protective towards Rin, he outright loved her. The great and terrible Demon Lord of the Western Lands, who professed his hatred for humans, had been conquered by a little girl. He had the same soft look on his face that Inuyasha had when with Kagome, especially if the hanyou didn't think anyone was looking. Miroku shook his head, knowing that if he spoke aloud of this new insight he'd be facing Sesshomaru's wrath, but it amused him to know none the less.
 
The further they traveled down the muddy ribbon that encompassed the road; Miroku began to notice small encampments of refugees. Each one was isolated, keeping their distance away from one another. They looked wary and tense as they watched the group pass by. Much like the villages from the night before, they had placed barricades around their makeshift, flimsy tents, the men standing in front of them with rudimentary weapons ready to defend the women and children huddled behind.
 
Shortly before dusk, Belgarath pulled his horse to a stop, signaling to the rest to do the same. He dismounted and said, “We'll make camp here for the night. In about a day's ride, we will be passing Mal Yaska. I think we should rest before we make the dangerous trek past that city.”
 
Feldegast nodded, jumping to land next to the old sorcerer. He winked at the old man. “Yer right about the rest, me ancient friend. No need to hurry past that dreadful city without some relaxin' and good food. I think someone should find out what Urvon's been doin' so we won't be takin' any chances of the ol' piebald coward sneakin' up on us.”
 
“I was just going to suggest that.” Belgarath pinched his nose. “We'll circle to the east a bit and head that way to avoid as much trouble as possible, but I'll need a small group to go in to the city and scout some. This Naraku has both aligned himself with and against Urvon and I want to know if Torak's remaining disciple is still in his city or not. Anyone willing to take the journey?”
 
Feldegast started to juggle some balls. “I'll go, yer sorcerership, let me pick me travelin' party.”
 
“Go ahead. Tell me tomorrow. For now, let's set up camp.” Belgarath sighed.
 
Miroku slid to the ground and looked over towards Sango. She glared at him, and walked in the opposite direction. The monk slumped, sighing. Apparently she was still vexed with him and right now was not a good time. He said to himself, “Ah well, maybe after supper.”
 
Silk whistled next to him. “Boy, she really is angry with you, monk. You sure you didn't grab her?”
 
Miroku nodded. “I didn't do anything like that. I really don't know why she's mad at me.”
 
“Just keep my advice in mind. You have your bottle of perfume with you, right? Try to give that to her in a little while. Maybe she'll cool down after setting up a bit of camp.”
 
“I hope so.”
 
“Speaking of that, my wife wants my help right about now.” The rat-faced man winked. “Give her time. She'll come around.”
 
Miroku smiled wanly back. “I hope so.”
 
Drawing his attention to the other side of the forming camp was a heated discussion between Inuyasha and Sesshomaru. The irate hanyou waved his arms in his brother's unreadable face, as he shouted, “How come you didn't tell me!”
 
“Half-breed, this Sesshomaru could not tell you what he did not know.” Sesshomaru's eyes narrowed as he glared at Inuyasha. “Do not gesture in my face.”
 
“All this time, and it was that mangy wolf---and you knew!” Inuyasha paced, his hands clenched at his side. He turned, leaning into his brother's face.
 
Miroku was struck by how much they resembled one another, especially since his friend's cheeks still sported the jagged stripes. Excluding Sesshomaru's crescent moon, Inuyasha's ears, and the shape of his stripes, the two brothers looked almost identical. He sighed, hoping that this argument wouldn't break out into physical violence. There had been quite enough of that for one day. He rubbed the red fabric around his hand, feeling the sting of the cut.
 
Miroku wondered where Rin had disappeared to, and glanced around, noting that she sat by the tawny-haired woman's side, resting her head onto her shoulder. He didn't know why Sesshomaru would allow it, but assumed the Demon Lord had his reasons. Perhaps Miroku could figure out why Inuyasha had continually brought up the wolf-prince when he had tried to give him Tetsusaiga. He whispered, “I wonder what he thinks Sesshomaru knows about Koga. It's not like his brother knows how Koga's chased after Kagome, or anything.”
 
“This Sesshomaru has told you that he did not know it was the wolf.” The Demon Lord stood his ground, his frame straight. “I only told you that wolves were responsible, not which ones. I did not witness the crime, I only found her after it had already occurred. Do not question me.”
 
“Whatever. You still had to know something more than you're letting on.” Inuyasha backed away, his ears flattened to his head.
 
“This Sesshomaru must attend to Rin.” Sesshomaru turned his back on his brother. “This conversation is finished.”
 
Inuyasha growled at Sesshomaru's retreating back. “It's not over! I'll find my answers, even if I have to beat them out of you.”
 
Miroku sighed. He waited until the Demon Lord had taken a seat next to Rin, letting the girl settle into his lap. If he would find out his answers, he'd have to talk to Inuyasha now, no matter how agitated his friend might be. He approached, and asked, “Inuyasha, can we talk?”
 
Inuyasha looked towards him, his ears sagging and a remorseful frown crossing his lips. He kept his eyes cast away, and whispered softly, “Yeah, what is it Miroku?”
 
“Why don't we go for a walk.” Miroku passed Inuyasha, heading away from the emerging camp.
 
Inuyasha followed, his head down. His shoulders sagged and he sighed softly. “Alright.”
 
When the monk reached a clearing, he stopped, looking up towards the oncoming sunset. Pale purples lined the horizon and pink blushes infused the clouds. Miroku bit his lip and made his wounded hand into a fist, resting it against his lips. He took a breath, turned to look at Inuyasha, and asked, “What happened this morning?”
 
Inuyasha didn't look at him, scuffing one clawed foot into the ground. His ears twitched and he crossed his arms. “You were there. You saw.”
 
“I didn't see everything, Inuyasha.” Miroku stepped closer, putting his cursed hand onto his friend's shoulder. “Tell me, what happened out there.”
 
“Koga happened, that's what.” Inuyasha pulled away, turning his back on the monk. He looked up towards the sky, sighing.
 
“Well, what did he do that made you so angry?” Miroku moved next to him, watching him from the corner of his eye.
 
“What do you think he did? He went after my mate, said Kagome was his.” Inuyasha growled, clenching a fist at his side. “Isn't that enough?”
 
“He's done that several times in the past. Why did it make you this angry this time? Or is there something else to it?” Miroku kept his voice calm, hoping it'd coax Inuyasha into telling more.
 
“I wasn't Kagome's mate those other times, monk.” Inuyasha gave him a sideways glance. “It's the first time we saw Koga since we've become mates, and the first thing he does is try to take her away.”
 
“But you know Kagome wouldn't let that happen.” Miroku frowned. “There has to be something more. What happened when you reached the outskirts of camp?”
 
Inuyasha's shoulders slumped and he hung his head. “Alright, I'll tell you.” He closed his eyes and took a deep breath. “When I got there, he was holding Kagome, you know, like he always does. He was yelling at Sesshomaru. I decked him so he'd let go of Kagome. I knew she wouldn't want me to kill him outright, so I let him challenge me to a fight.”
 
“Sounds pretty typical for you two.” Miroku nodded. “Go on, then what?”
 
“I told Kagome to stand by Sesshomaru. We started to fight, although I wasn't really out to hurt him just yet. I really didn't want to upset Kagome.” He looked at Miroku, anger in his eyes. “Everything changed when Rin started towards us. She had a bowl for Sesshomaru and was bringing it to him. She saw Koga and screamed in terror, trying to run away. That's when I knew.”
 
“Knew what?” Miroku furrowed his brows, frowning.
 
“That the bastard had killed her.”
 
“What? Inuyasha, that doesn't make sense. Rin isn't dead.”
 
“She was once.” Inuyasha looked back up to the sky. He rubbed a hand on his cheek, over a stripe. The action reminded Miroku of Sesshomaru. The half-demon whispered, “Ever wonder why my brother has Rin with him?”
 
Miroku nodded, answering hesitantly, “Yes, I have.”
 
“After I used the Wind Scar on him, he retreated to a small grove on the outskirts of a village. He said that a little human girl brought him food and water, trying to care for him. Of course, being the jerk he is, he tried to scare her away.” Inuyasha paused. “She showed up one day, bringing more food, but had been beaten up. Sesshomaru assumes it was the villagers. He asked her why she had bruises. She didn't say anything, and he realized that she couldn't talk.”
 
“Okay, so how does this have anything to do with Rin? She talks all the time.” Miroku pursed his lips in confusion.
 
“You want to know or not?” Inuyasha sighed. “Sorry. I didn't mean to snap.” He looked away. “Anyways, Sesshomaru healed enough to leave and started to travel again. He said he smelled the little girl's blood and went to find out what had happened. When he arrived, she was laying on the ground dead, mauled to death by wolves---Koga's wolves.”
 
“I don't understand. Why would the death of a human girl he just met matter to him?” Miroku rubbed his chin.
 
“He claims that he wanted to know more about Tenseiga.” Inuyasha snorted. “Remember how Totosai told us that Tenseiga was the sword of healing, capable of saving one hundred lives? Sesshomaru tested that idea on Rin, and it brought her back to life. She's been with him ever since.”
 
“I see. And Rin remembers what happened before her death. How terrible.” Miroku shook his head. “The poor thing must have felt like she was reliving the whole experience.”
 
“Exactly. Koga denied it, claiming he doesn't know anything about it. He might not with the way that monster used to let his pack eat humans.” Inuyasha growled. “It's disgusting.”
 
“Indeed.” Miroku nodded his agreement. “Is that why you transformed?”
 
Inuyasha looked away, guilt crossing his face. “Yeah. I let it get to me and lost control. He had already gone after my mate and then I found out he had killed the pup once before. I couldn't let him do it again.”
 
“That explains why you said he had already hurt one of your pack.” Miroku stepped closer to his friend. “What stopped you from killing him?”
 
Inuyasha tensed and bit his lip. “I can't say. Maybe I didn't want to become a monster.”
 
Miroku frowned, knowing that Inuyasha had lied. He wouldn't pry into it, noting that the stripes still hadn't faded at all. The last thing he needed to do was upset Inuyasha. He said, “Alright. So, why didn't you have Tetsusaiga this morning?”
 
“Kagome told me she'd go give Sesshomaru something quick, a gift she picked up in town for him. She said it wouldn't be long. I went to get us some breakfast. I didn't think I'd need Tetsusaiga to get a couple bowls of gruel. When I smelt Koga, I didn't think to go back and get it. I wanted to get him away from Kagome.”
 
“Ah.”
 
A soft silence settled between them, the sounds of crickets and mourning doves filling the dusk air. Miroku looked towards Inuyasha, seeing the regret that crossed his face. He put a hand onto his friend's shoulder, drawing his attention. Inuyasha glanced at him, flinching away when he saw that it was the bandaged hand on his shoulder.
 
Inuyasha muttered, “It's still my fault you got hurt.”
 
“Inuyasha, you were defending yourself. You knew who I was. If you hadn't, I wouldn't be talking to you right now.” Miroku sighed. “You were so threatened by Tetsusaiga, that you just wanted to knock it away from me. You just happened to cut me, that's all. I'm fine.”
 
The hanyou closed his eyes, and took a deep, shaky breath. He exhaled slowly, opening them again. “It still shouldn't have happened. I should have done something to stop myself from hurting you.”
 
“You called me pack.” Miroku gave him a small smile.
 
“I did?” Inuyasha blinked. “I only remember bits and pieces from this morning.”
 
“Yes, you did.” Miroku nodded. “What does that mean, exactly?”
 
“Kagome asked the same question a few days ago.” He sighed. “I told her it means family.”
 
“So we're a family, huh?”
 
“Yeah.” Inuyasha gave him a small smile.
 
“So what am I in this odd family of ours?” Miroku smiled wide, hoping it'd cheer Inuyasha up.
 
Inuyasha looked away, a slight blush on his face. “My brother. Before---before Sesshomaru and I made our truce, you were the only brother I had.”
 
Miroku gripped Inuyasha's shoulder with his cursed hand. “I'm honored, Inuyasha. It means a lot to me to hear you say that I'm your brother. I wouldn't have it any other way.”
 
Inuyasha looked up, a toothy grin crossing his face. “Good, cause you're stuck with me now, rather you like it or not, monk.”
 
Miroku laughed. “I hope you realize that means you're stuck with me, too. You might regret that.”
 
Inuyasha frowned, snorting. He shrugged his shoulders. “I know who to tell if you misbehave.”
 
Miroku put his hand on his chest in mock indignation. “You wouldn't!”
 
The half-demon smirked. “Try me. You've seen me and Sesshomaru argue enough to know I'm going easy on you.”
 
Miroku nodded. He cleared his throat. “Speaking of him, you really should apologize to him.”
 
“For what?”
 
“He told you the truth when he said he didn't know it was Koga. I don't think they were ever formally introduced. It's not his way to lie about something like that.”
 
“Yeah, yeah. I know.” Inuyasha slumped. “I guess I should do that.”
 
“Good luck.”
 
“Very funny, monk.” Inuyasha made his way towards the road, heading back towards camp. “Oh, and Miroku, make up with Sango. She's going to be intolerable until you do.”
 
Miroku bit his lip, nodding. “I certainly will try.”
 
“Now. Don't just try, either.” Inuyasha turned his back towards him.
 
The monk ran his hand on the back of his neck and gulped. He couldn't avoid it anymore. He'd have to talk to her and make amends now, even if that meant feeling the wrath of her weapons. He started to follow Inuyasha back to camp when he passed a hill. The demon slayer sat on top of it, staring up into the sky. Her knees were drawn to her chest, and she rested her chin atop them.
 
Miroku quietly moved to sit down next to her, looking up into the sky. He heard her shift next to him, trying to pull away. The monk gripped her arm in his wounded hand, whispering, “Sango---”
 
“I don't want to talk to you.” Sango tried to wrench her arm free.
 
“What did I do wrong?” Miroku looked towards her.
 
“You even have to ask?” Sango pulled her arm free, sighing in exasperation.
 
“Sango---”
 
“No!” Sango clenched her fists at her sides. “I'm not a stupid, weak woman you can tell what to do! I'm just as capable as you are! I can fight just as well as you can. I don't need to be left behind to babysit!” She stood and turned her back to him, hiding her face in her hands as she started to sob.
 
Miroku's eyes went wide. He stood, placing his hand on her shoulder. “Sango, what makes you think that I feel that way about you?”
 
Sango hiccuped, trying to catch her breath. “This morning, you told me it was too dangerous like I was some pathetic, defenseless woman who could only contribute by babysitting.”
 
“Look at me.” Miroku slowly turned her around. He tilted her chin up, looking into her red, puffy eyes. “You're not weak or defenseless. I didn't mean for you to think I felt that way.”
 
Sango bit her lip, trying to stop sobbing. “But why did you tell me to stay at camp?”
 
“Oh Sango, I didn't want Inuyasha to feel anymore cornered than he already was. He was so far gone in his transformation that, I think, if anyone else had gotten involved he'd have gone too far and really hurt someone and regret it later. It certainly wasn't because I was afraid you couldn't protect yourself.” He hugged her, rubbing her back.
 
Sango sobbed into his shoulder. “But I am weak, aren't I? Look at me, I'm crying like a stupid, pathetic woman.”
 
Miroku pulled away from her, looking into her eyes. He gripped her shoulders in his hands. “You, my dear Sango, are the most capable woman I know. I know from experience having you as an opponent is no easy task. I am fortunate you are my ally and not my foe. I know I'd lose any fight I had with you, mainly because I can't match your skill.” He kissed her forehead. “Don't you ever think anything else about yourself. Showing emotion is as much of a strength as is any attack you know. It has been a stressful day, and the tension got to everyone; it's only natural to have an emotional reaction.”
 
Sango looked down, sighing. She nodded. “Okay.”
 
“That's better.” He let go, pulling out the bottle of perfume from his robes. “Will you accept my apology?”
 
The demon slayer eyed the bottle warily. “What's this?”
 
“It's a gift, please, take it.” Miroku took one of her hands into his, placing the bottle into it.
 
Sango pulled the stopper, smelling it. “It smells lovely, like fresh cut roses.” Sango put the stopper back in, threw her arms around his neck, and kissed him. “I accept your apology---Miroku.”
 
Miroku moaned softly, his eyes closing as he kissed her back. He smiled wide when he pulled back. “I'd hope you'd say that.” He looked down, blushing. “So you really like it?”
 
“Of course.” She kissed his cheek.
 
“Good.” He rubbed her back, holding her close. Unable to resist, Miroku rubbed her bottom with both hands, holding her against him. “Of course, you might have another reason to be angry with me.”
 
Sango giggled. She kissed him, and whispered into his ear, “I kind of like that, too, Miroku.”
 
A/N: For more information, review responses, and other news, please visit my live journal at farawayeyes4.