Crossover Fan Fiction / InuYasha Fan Fiction ❯ The Journey to the City of Endless Night ❯ Chapter Sixty-Six ( Chapter 66 )

[ X - Adult: No readers under 18. Contains Graphic Adult Themes/Extreme violence. ]

Author's Note: Please check out my livejournal at farawayeyes4 for more information, review responses, and news.
 
Chapter Sixty-Six
 
The sleeping pallet did little to prevent the chill of the ground from permeating it, and it made Rin shiver. She adjusted and grimaced when her ankle turned on the stack of pillows. It sent a jolt of pain from her injured foot coursing through Rin, and she gripped the comb in her hand tightly. The teeth dug into her palm, her knuckles turning white with the force. A soft whimper of pain bubbled from her throat, and she clenched her teeth to suppress it.
 
Rin glared at her offending, injured ankle. It laid on the pillows unwrapped after her bath to let her skin breathe. It looked swollen, a mottled mix of purple, black, and blue, making the skin furious in appearance. Rin leaned forward, gently rubbing the tender area. It throbbed constantly, a dull, lingering pain traveling from the source of her injury to flood throughout the rest of her leg. The little girl bit her lip, feeling the sharp jolt from touching it, and pulled her hand back as if it had been burned.
 
Picking up the comb again, she started to pull it through the damp mass of her dark hair. Closing her eyes while it slid through the ends, Rin mulled over the events of the day. She shuddered, a tendril of fear chilling her more than the ground she sat on could. The long-haired man with the piercing blue eyes filled her vision, taunting her. Upon seeing him that morning, Rin had felt transported back to her village---and that fateful day where her life had met its end and new beginning.
 
She remembered his ruthlessness in the way he had killed the other demon, and then how he had nonchalantly unleashed his wolves on the village to feed. The man had smirked all the while, pleased with the destruction he had loosed. The screams of their victims filled her ears as she watched the wolves ravage them. They had ripped flesh from bone and released rivers of crimson that day. After that, all Rin could remember was the sound of wolves padding after her in the midst of fleeing the horrific scene.
 
Rin had tripped that day, too. When she had run into the forest on the edge of the village, all that had entered her mind was to reach Sesshomaru---to warn him or seek his protection, it mattered not which. A tree root had caught her just right, sending her spilling to the ground. She had been left unable to stand again. The last sight before her death and resurrection had been the large, dark wolves lunging for her, their fangs glinting in the moonlight, and their gold eyes glowing.
 
Jolting her from her thoughts was her comb getting caught in a snarl. Rin frowned, trying to work it free. She sighed in exasperation as her hair wrapped around its teeth. The memories of that fateful day lingered, and during her fight to extract the comb, Rin couldn't help but feel that she had let Sesshomaru down this morning as she had that day long ago.
 
The burning sensation of hot, salty tears stung her eyes, and Rin tugged on the comb in frustration. If she hadn't tripped, her lord wouldn't have had to revive her in the first place. She would have been able to warn him of the wolves' attack, just in case he hadn't been able to fight. Yet, this morning, as that day, she had fled in fear aimlessly and hadn't been careful to avoid tripping. It had been stupid and reckless, both signs of weakness Rin knew her lord disapproved of. She hadn't acted rationally, and it had led to her injured ankle.
 
Rin couldn't help the feeling of guilt that she had somehow doubted Sesshomaru and his ability to protect her this morning. Instead of running to him, she had bolted in the opposite direction. Wasn't that proof enough? She wished she could go back and change things, that she had run straight to Sesshomaru, placing her faith in him to keep her safe. Most of all, Rin wished she hadn't let her fear become her weakness, and thus a disappointment in her lord's eyes.
 
Yanking the comb free finally, Rin snorted her aggravation. She pulled hair from its teeth, and shook the strands from her hands. Then she vigorously attacked her hair, pulling the comb through the damp locks. Rin bit her lip to keep fresh tears from falling, not wishing to display more weakness than she already had that day. She had to be strong. Rin didn't want to displease or disgust Sesshomaru because it might make him send her away. The reaction to the wolf-demon that morning was inexcusable, and Rin never wanted to be such a burden to her lord like that ever again. She had distracted him when he could have been fighting and protecting her. Rin knew it had to be an annoyance to Sesshomaru.
 
Closing her eyes, Rin took a deep breath to calm herself. A few tears streaked down her cheeks and she bit her lip. Her Sesshomaru could return from seeing Polgara at any moment, and Rin didn't want him to see her like this. She owed him more than just a brave face for all of the transgressions she had made earlier that day. Wiping an eye with her free hand, Rin stared at the dark fabric wall of the tent, calling upon all her willpower not to give in and cry. Her Sesshomaru counted on her to be strong and that meant putting her fear behind her.
 
Rin resolved to learn everything the wolf-woman could teach to the best of her ability, so that the next time she encountered the wolf-demon she'd be able to face him. She never wanted to run away like a coward, leaving someone else to deal with him ever again. She hated the way the terror had blinded her, but most of all, Rin hated the shame she felt for being so helpless. Next time, she would be ready, instead of cowering on the ground. Now that Rin knew the wolf-demon of her nightmares and memories roamed out there, she would have to deal with what had happened. No one else could do this for the little girl, otherwise she'd never be able to truly put it in the past.
 
The tent flap lifted, and Sesshomaru entered, his arm tucked to his chest. He held fresh bandages and supplies. The Demon Lord set them on the ground in a corner and started to organize them in silence. Sesshomaru didn't look in her direction, and it didn't escape Rin's observation that he had a frown on his face and creases lining his crescent moon. Rin lowered her head in shame, knowing she had let her lord down to bring him to this.
 
“Rin.”
 
Not lifting her head, Rin whispered, “Yes, Sesshomaru-sama.”
 
“Take out your water and a cup.”
 
Rin nodded, doing as her lord bid. She took out the water bottle Kagome had provided her and a small drinking cup from their saddle bag. She kept her head down, not wanting to see the disappointment in his eyes at her powerlessness. She would wait for his next command before taking her next action. Rin didn't dare to do anything more to cross her lord.
 
Sesshomaru pushed a small, lidded bowl towards her. “Open it and put its contents into the cup, then pour the water and mix. The sorceress said it would help ease the pain.”
 
Rin blushed, picking up the bowl. She opened it to find a mixture of crushed herbs. Lifting her eyes, she briefly connected with Sesshomaru's gold. They were grim. Rin looked back into the bowl, and nodded. Dumping the contents into her cup, she twisted the cap off the bottle and poured water over the herbs.
 
“Yes, Sesshomaru-sama.”
 
Sesshomaru loosened the pin holding the roll of bandages together. He held it against his thigh, and started to unroll it. Turning towards her, he called, his deep voice gentle, “Rin.”
 
Rin looked up into his face, feeling fresh tears of shame fill her eyes. She could see the pity in her lord's eyes, and a worried frown on his lips. He outstretched his hand, silently offering a small stick. Rin accepted it, bowed her head, and murmured, “Thank-you, Sesshomaru-sama.”
 
She turned her attention to the herbal mixture, slowly stirring it. It began to froth, emitting a bitter smell. Rin wrinkled her nose in distaste, wondering idly why all of Polgara's medicine had to smell and taste awful. She caught her lord's slight wrinkled nose, and knew it offended his keen senses. It was only one more thing to add to the list of her shortcomings, for if she hadn't tripped, she wouldn't need this elixir and her lord wouldn't have to smell it.
 
“Drink it, Rin.”
 
Rin lifted the cup, sucking in air when the putrid smell assaulted her nose. She gulped and raised it to her lips, preparing for the terrible taste. It burned as it went down her throat and her eyes watered. The little girl lowered the glass and hesitated, resisting the urge to cough. Wanting to get it over with, Rin set aside her distaste and gulped it down quickly. Setting the cup down, she ran her tongue over her teeth, trying to dispel the awful aftertaste.
 
Sesshomaru shifted to sit down by the pillows her foot rested on. He gently gripped her ankle, shifting it into his lap. Rin gasped in pain, her eyes wide. She blinked when it dawned on her that Sesshomaru intended on wrapping her ankle for her. She had reduced her powerful lord to a common servant. Rin blushed, embarrassed that he felt obligated to treat her mistake further.
 
She whispered, “Sesshomaru-sama, you, you don't---”
 
Sesshomaru snorted. He said, his voice firm, “Nonsense. Your ankle must be re-wrapped if it is to heal.”
 
Rin bit her lip, tears flooding to her eyes. Her Sesshomaru-sama didn't have to lower himself to this. Her shame grew and she wanted nothing more than to disappear. Her lord didn't need to see her weakness. A vast energy filled her, causing her to vibrate, and a tight tingling built at the nape of her neck. She closed her eyes as more tears escaped, and whispered, “Not in front of him.”
 
The unbounded energy flooded through her while an immense roar thundered in her ears. The world seemed muffled around Rin, like a blanket had been thrown over her head. Coupled with the dull roar ringing in her ears, the little girl felt disorientated. Once it faded, instead of the sounds of hushed talking from camp, or the soft whisper of her lord's silk as he shifted, she heard the scurrying of small animals, the chirp of crickets, and the soft cooing of mourning doves.
 
Opening her eyes, Rin gasped. She wasn't in the tent with Sesshomaru, but instead sat in the middle of a small grove of trees. She shifted, trying to stand, only to fall back onto her bottom, and winced in pain. How had she ended up here? Rin's eyes went wide when she realized that she must have used her Will. She bit her lip, looking around, embarrassed that she had lost control of her power that way. Her shoulders shook and fresh tears spilled. Hadn't she committed enough offenses against her lord for one day?
 
Rin looked up, catching the faint light of the moon filtering through the tree branches. She wrapped her arms around herself, trying to ward away the chill. She had no idea where she was or which direction camp resided in. Rin felt a tendril of panic rise within her. What if her lord didn't find her---didn't want to find her? After all of her mistakes, she wouldn't blame him, and Rin sobbed softly at the thought of being abandoned. She didn't want to be alone again, the way she was before her Sesshomaru had entered her life.
 
Taking a deep breath, Rin closed her eyes. She tried to search with her mind the way Poledra had instructed, hoping to locate Sesshomaru's. She gasped as she encountered a thought similar to but not quite Tolnedran. She felt the familiar greed and vanity, yet it twisted with a great cruelty, and its dark red seemed murky and tarnished with malice and madness. This was unlike the Tolnedran thought Poledra had shown her. This one felt malevolent and angry, and an impulsiveness laced throughout it. Underneath that, Rin felt a great regret and sorrow. She recoiled back from it, uncertain of whose mind she had inadvertently touched.
 
A loud piercing shriek penetrated the night. It sounded forlorn, and Rin looked up to see a large black bird flying overhead. It emitted another shrill scream, circling lower, and called out, “Rin!”
 
Rin felt transfixed, unable to look away. It was the same bird that had followed her for sometime now. It flew lower and lower, circling until it disappeared beneath the tree line. A soft whisper brushed against Rin's mind and she felt someone's Will release. The snap of a twig from behind her caught her attention, and Rin glanced over her shoulder to see an old man lurking in the shadows.
 
“Who---who's there?”
 
The man stepped out from behind a tree, holding a small, green light in his palm. It flickered almost like a candle, illuminating his lined face with its eerie light. He said, his voice hushed, a nervous overtone laced through it, “It is awfully dark tonight, isn't it?”
 
Rin gasped when he came closer. She whispered, “Belgarath-sama? Is that you?”
 
The man standing before her looked exactly like the old sorcerer. His hair and beard were the same white. Instead of the merry blue eyes she knew Belgarath possessed, however, this man's dark eyes held horror and despair. A brief flicker of rage crossed his face, and he narrowed his eyes in disgust. He shook his head, a small smile crossing his face. He whispered, his voice gentle, “No, I'm not him.”
 
“Oh.”
 
Rin felt a flutter of concern about this stranger momentarily, but the longer she held his gaze, the less unease she felt. It seemed that the man had her spellbound, for she could not turn away. There seemed to be an odd familiarity about him, and Rin smiled. This man didn't seem to mean her any harm. Perhaps he had come to help her return to her Sesshomaru. Rin broke her eye contact with the stranger as her ankle throbbed in its current position, knee bent against the ground. She leaned forward, rubbing the tender area, and winced.
 
“Are you alright?” The man leaned in closer, holding his strange light by her ankle.
 
Rin nodded. “Rin twisted it earlier today. She will be alright. There's no reason to worry about her.” She cocked her head to one side, staring at the green sphere in his hand. Rin asked, her voice unsure, “Are you like Rin?”
 
The man blinked, confusion crossing his well-lined face. He raised his eyebrows and nodded in understanding. “You mean can I use the Will and the Word?”
 
“Yes.” Rin blushed.
 
“Yes, I can. I have been doing so for many, many years.” The man smiled gently, although it was tinged with regret.
 
“Rin's only been really using it for a short while.” The little girl shivered, the cool night air chilling her.
 
“I see.” The man gathered a small pile of wood together. “I assume you don't have a flint or tinder box with you.”
 
“No. Sorry---” Rin looked down, embarrassed.
 
“Makor. You can call me Makor. ” He smiled, kneeling in front of his woodpile. “Since I know you can use the Will and the Word, do you know how to use it to make fire?”
 
Rin blushed. “Rin doesn't know how to do that just yet, Makor-sama.”
 
“Would you like it if I were to teach you how?”
 
Rin bit her lip, hesitating. Poledra-sama was her teacher, and she sought Sesshomaru's approval before teaching a new skill. She had just met this man, yet considered taking his offer. Since she wouldn't have Sesshomaru's permission, Rin prepared to turn Makor down. Rin looked up, and felt all her doubts fade as she caught his gaze. There was encouragement there, and she felt that it couldn't do any harm to advance her skills. It might even come in handy to help her lord later on if the need arose. After today, Rin wanted to do anything to make it up to Sesshomaru. If learning how to make fire with her Will would do so, she'd take up his offer.
 
“Yes, Rin would like to know how to make fire with her Will, Makor-sama.”
 
“Excellent.” Makor smiled wide. He waved his hand, the globe in his hand disappearing. “Watch carefully then, Rin.”
 
He took a couple twigs between his fingers, positioning them in the center of the wood pile. A frown of concentration crossed his face as his fingers rubbed them together. Slowly, Makor's fingertips started to glow, and the twigs began to smoke. Shortly afterwards, a tongue of orange flame followed, traveling down into the pile, setting the wood below on fire. The pop and crackle of the dry timber filled the clearing as the fire ate through the pile. Once satisfied with his fire, the old man nodded, pulling his hand back.
 
While Makor had created the now crackling fire, Rin felt his Will build and then almost agonizingly release at a slow pace. She almost didn't hear the hushed whisper of it as he used his power. In her mind, however, she saw the image of a tiny flame growing at a slow pace, expanding and flickering while it grew into a modestly large fire. Rin could almost feel the exact instant the image had flooded into the reality of the fire upon Makor's hushed whisper of burn. She felt certain, that if she followed the same steps, she could duplicate the action.
 
Makor smiled. “Would you like to give it a try, Rin?”
 
Feeling excitement at the thought of creating fire with a simple thought and gesture, Rin nodded vigorously. “Rin would love to, Makor-sama.”
 
“Good.” His Will built again and he held his hand out over the fire, almost as if to warm it. As Makor lowered his hand, however, the fire shrunk until it finally burnt out. He said, his voice gentle, “The trick here, Rin, is to not just draw power into you, but draw the heat around you, too. You can't make fire without heat. Go ahead. Give it a try.”
 
Rin nodded. “Okay, Makor-sama. But how?”
 
“It's simple.” Makor moved closer to her. “When you draw your Will in, you take a little bit of power from everything around you, right? That's how you gather enough to use to do whatever you're trying to accomplish. Now you just have to do the same thing with heat. As you get better at this, you'll do both simultaneously without having to think too hard about it.”
 
“Rin hopes so.” She looked down and blushed. “It is like taking in heat to make energy, right?”
 
“Yes, very similar, Rin. That is a good comparison.” Makor chuckled softly. “I remember the first few times I tried to do it.”
 
“What happened, Makor-sama?” Rin looked up, curious.
 
An amused smile crossed the old man's face, making its harsh expression soft. He shook his head. “Well let's see, I think I was trying to light a candle because it was late at night and terribly dark. I had been reading a scroll when the candle I was reading by blew out. I had just learned how to use the Will and the Word shortly before that, so I hadn't yet tried to make fire. Because I couldn't see all that well in the dark, I nearly set the scroll I was reading on fire instead.”
 
“Then what happened?” Rin leaned forward, intrigued by his story. She hid a small smile behind her hand, not wanting to be rude by laughing. “Sorry, Makor-sama. It's not nice of Rin to laugh.”
 
Makor shook his head. “It is rather funny, now that I look back on it.” He sighed. “Well, I saw the flame on the corner of my scroll and ended up tossing it to the floor and stomped on it to put it out. In the process, I knocked the candle over. Once I picked it up, I made sure I had a firm grip on it and put my fingers on the wick to make sure I lit that and nothing else.” Makor laughed softly. “I'm sure you'll do much better than I did on my first attempt. Let's give it a try. You won't have to worry about any silly scrolls.”
 
“Alright. Rin will try.” Rin nodded, though she felt dubious. She bit her lip, focusing on gathering heat into her Will. “Like this, Makor-sama?”
 
“Perfect. Just a little bit of heat from a few sources should do it. You're almost there. Now focus on an image in your mind to bring it to reality.”
 
Rin gathered a small handful of twigs, following his example. She put them into the pit, making sure the ends stuck upwards. Rin pinched a couple between her fingers, and her brows furrowed as she concentrated on them. The little girl felt her Will build more, the tingling at the base of her skull, expanding to fill her body. Inside her mind, Rin saw the small flame as it flickered. She turned all her focus on her fingertips with the idea of passing the image through them onto the twigs.
 
“Good. You're doing much better than I did on a first try.” He nodded in encouragement. “All you need is the Word and you'll have your fire.”
 
Rin clenched her teeth from holding her Will in this long. She rubbed the twigs in her fingers, and whispered, “Fire.”
 
While Rin's Will released, the sticks began to smoke, releasing small puffs into the night air. Creeping down the brushwood from her now glowing fingertips was a tongue of orange flame. It ignited in the wood underneath, pops and crackles accompanying it while it swelled into a small fire. Pulling her hand back before it could burn, Rin smiled in satisfaction. She had made fire with her Will just as the man had taught her.
 
“How was that, Makor-sama?”
 
“Beautifully done, Rin. And you did it without harming any scrolls.” Makor winked.
 
Rin giggled. “You're funny, Makor-sama.”
 
He outstretched his hands over the fire, warming them. “It certainly keeps the darkness at bay, doesn't it?”
 
The little girl nodded. “Rin agrees. It makes the night less scary.”
 
“That it does.”
 
A soft silence enveloped them, all save for the pleasant crackle of Rin's fire. The little girl stared at it, watching it curl through the woodpile. It gave the small clearing an inviting feel, warding away the dark shadows that lurked in the trees. Rin outstretched her hands, rubbing them over its heat. It still amazed her that the fire that now kept her hands warm had also come from them without the aid of tools. She would be able to make fire anytime, anywhere, and would never have to worry again about having a flint. This would come in handy the next time Rin needed to make a fire quickly, and it would help her lord if the need arose.
 
However, as much as that excited Rin, she couldn't help but feel a little afraid. After all, she had lost control of her Will earlier tonight and ended up here. What if she lost control of her power some other time in some other way? Rin knew that Poledra had told her she had been granted the gift of her Will for a reason. The little girl knew she would live longer than normal, and that made her happy as she'd remain by her lord. Rin also knew that she had been chosen to serve a God as a disciple, and would have to do things with her Will that might help others.
 
On the other hand, Rin wasn't entirely sure why she had the ability to wield this power. The little girl had been learning how in her lessons and knew that Poledra felt proud of her progress. What if that wasn't enough? She had vowed to herself to learn to control her Will so what had led to the demon hurting her Sesshomaru would never happen again. Even with all of Poledra's help, though, the same thing had happened. Staring down at the ground, Rin shivered. The power within her frightened her, and she wondered if she was the right person to possess it.
 
Turning, Rin glanced at Makor. He sat staring into the fire, his eyes distant. There seemed to be a lost quality about them, mixed with immense pain and self-loathing. A disgusted sneer rested on his lips, and the orange glow of the fire gave his weathered face a bitter appearance. Hesitantly, Rin asked, “Makor-sama?”
 
Makor blinked and shook his head. He looked at Rin, the faraway look in his eyes disappearing. A regretful, soft smile replaced the harsh expression. “Yes?”
 
“Why are some people chosen to use the Will and the Word?”
 
Makor frowned and pursed his lips. He stared into the fire, his dark eyes reflecting it back. Makor's brows furrowed, making the creases in his forehead appear deeper. Rin watched him expectantly, waiting for him to give her an answer. The longer he sat in silence, the more the little girl wondered if perhaps he hadn't heard her question.
 
“Makor-sama?”
 
Makor roused from his stupor. He smiled towards her, yet there was no warmth in it. The old man began, “Well, Rin, I think there can be many reasons why someone is given the gift of the Will and the Word.”
 
Rin frowned, glancing down at her fire. Somehow she felt the man was trying to avoid answering her question. She looked back up, asking, “Like what, Makor-sama?”
 
He sighed. “I guess because they might have important things to do and they might be easily done with it, but impossible without.”
 
Again Rin felt he had dodged giving her a real answer. Maybe he truly didn't know why, and was like her, confused as to why she had been selected to have it. She looked down, her hair falling into her eyes. “Oh.”
 
In the distance, the howl of a wolf echoed. It sent shivers through Rin, and she hugged herself, feeling fresh fear rise within. The little girl grit her teeth together, trying to hold back the soft whimper growing in her throat. She scanned the trees, almost expecting to see the wolf-demon from that morning, backed by his pack. The sound of her heartbeat thundered in Rin's ears. This time her lord wouldn't be there to save her, and she couldn't run with her injured ankle.
 
The snap of leaves and twigs startled Rin. She gasped, turning towards its sound, and found Makor staring at her with a troubled frown. He asked softly, “Are you alright, Rin?”
 
Rin nodded, returning her gaze to the trees when another frustrated howl pierced the night. It seemed to the little girl that the wolf prowling out there had to be closer. Rin whispered, her voice shaking, “Rin's fine.” She slid closer to the fire. “She's just a little cold, that's all.”
 
Makor rubbed his arms, nodding. “It is rather chilly tonight.”
 
The baying of the wolf came closer, filling the small glen. The little girl tensed, her eyes darting around to see where it might emerge. She stuttered, “Y-yes---it is cold out here.”
 
The soft hush of someone's Will whispered in her ears, followed by the frustrated shriek of a bird as it burst through the trees. She stared up towards the sky, following its movements while it circled above. Rin rubbed her arms, feeling slightly dazed. It seemed that there was something she was forgetting, but she couldn't place it. The longer she tracked the bird above, the less it bothered her. She thought for a moment that someone else was with her, and glanced towards the fire to find no one there. The last thing Rin clearly remembered was translocating herself here after her lord tried to treat her ankle.
 
The little girl outstretched her hands over the fire, thankful for its warmth and light. She stared into it, a frown crossing her face. Teasing at the back of her mind, Rin could recall a fuzzy image of an old man, his dark, somber eyes reflecting the fire. Rin shook her head, and it faded. She picked up a stick, stirring the fire. The little girl watched it swell, hoping it'd be a beacon to Sesshomaru. Rin had used the method in the past when she had gotten lost or separated from the Demon Lord to alert him to her location. She just hoped that the trees wouldn't obscure it.
 
The desperate baying of the wolf permeated the night, and Rin flinched. She glanced around, fearful it would lunge at her at any moment. The thought of dousing the fire crossed the little girl's mind, but Rin knew it'd make her lord's search for her difficult. The wolf let loose a long, discouraged yowl, and Rin hunched over, pressing herself closer to the ground. The night seemed so dark, and Rin was injured and alone with no way to protect herself. She scanned the trees, unsure of where the wolf lurked.
 
The brush in front of Rin stirred, and she gasped, her heartbeat roaring in her ears. She squeezed her eyes shut, waiting for the inevitable. A soft whine tore from her throat, knowing the wolf had finally found her. Rin could hear heavy panting, followed by the soft whisper, “Rin.”
 
Cracking an eye open, the little girl found the Demon Lord before her. Rin blinked, and stared at him, her voice hushed as she asked, “Sesshomaru-sama?”
 
The fire gave her lord's pale visage a ruddy cast, his stripes etched darkly across his cheeks. It reflected in his eyes, making them eerily glow. Sesshomaru stared back, his mouth slightly open as he panted. It was as if the Demon Lord had frozen in place, unable to go any further. Slowly, he stepped closer to her, and sunk to his knees.
 
Now that they were face to face, Rin could see that Sesshomaru's eyes appeared to shimmer, relief and concern filling them. The fire flickered and made them look like liquid gold. She gasped, “Sesshomaru-sama?”
 
Sesshomaru wrapped his arm around her, pulling her against his chest. His hand rested on the back of her head, his slender fingers entwined in her hair. The Demon Lord buried his nose in it, taking a deep, shaky breath. Rin couldn't recall any other time that his grasp was so fierce. She heard him whisper in her mind in relief, “Rin, you're alright.”
 
Rin eased her arms around him, hugging her lord tight. She burrowed her face into his chest, taking comfort in its strength. Sesshomaru's steady heartbeat filled her ears, soothing her. The little girl nuzzled her nose into the crook of his neck, breathing deeply. Sesshomaru's untamed scent tickled it, grass, fresh air, and a spicy musk intermixed together. The silken curtain of his hair draped past her, hiding the world from view. Encircled within the Demon Lord's secure embrace, Rin felt safe for the first time that day.
 
She whispered to his mind, “You came for Rin, Sesshomaru-sama.”
 
When the underbrush rustled, Rin lifted her head, and looked over Sesshomaru's shoulder. She tensed when she saw a wolf lurking in the shadows. A blue nimbus flickered around its form, and it blended with Poledra's image. The sound of her Will murmured in Rin's mind, and once it faded, the wolf-woman stood, her smooth face unreadable. Her honey eyes looked like burnished gold, relief flickering deep in their depths. Poledra's tawny hair fell into her face, taking on a coppery cast. She stepped closer to them, looking down. “One is relieved to see you unharmed, Rin.”
 
Looking down, Rin bit her lip. In the corner of her eye, the fire flared and the little girl glanced towards it. Again, she had the vague flash of an old man's solemn face. Rin wanted to say that she hadn't been alone, but her tongue felt stiff and her mouth dry. The strange compulsion created a sharp throbbing pain in her temple when she attempted to fight against it. She winced in pain, and rested her head onto Sesshomaru's shoulder. Rin hid her face into his velvety fur, and whispered, “Rin had her fire.”
 
Sesshomaru gently smoothed her hair down with his hand. He whispered in the silence of her mind, “This Sesshomaru always will, Rin.”
 
Poledra nodded. She glanced around the clearing, her brows furrowing. The wolf-woman seemed preoccupied, as if looking for something. She turned her attention back to them, the fire glinting off her unblinking eyes. “One can see that.”
 
A wide yawn swept over Rin, and she tucked her nose against Sesshomaru's neck. “Rin's very tired.”
 
Sesshomaru cradled Rin against his chest, slowly moving to stand. She looped her arms around his neck, squeezing slightly while the sharp jolt of pain from her ankle coursed through her. The Demon Lord grunted, stating aloud, “This Sesshomaru shall take Rin back to camp, now.”
 
“One shall return with you.” She kicked dirt over the fire, dousing it.
 
Rin relaxed against Sesshomaru's powerful form as he carried her. She couldn't help the guilt building within her for having to depend on her lord in this manner, and for upsetting him so. The little girl replied to his silent statement, “Rin's sorry she's such a burden to Sesshomaru-sama. She'll try to do better from now on.”
 
They arrived back on the outskirts of camp to find Belgarath and Polgara waiting for them. The old man's creased face was grim and his sharp blue eyes locked with Rin's. Instead of the usual mischief dancing in them, concern gave them a sober look. He said, his voice gentle, “I'm glad to see everyone is alright after tonight's mishap.”
 
Rin blushed. “Rin didn't mean for it to happen, Belgarath-sama.”
 
The Demon Lord's firm voice echoed in her head, “Let this Sesshomaru make that determination about you, Rin. It is his responsibility and his alone to decide how he feels, not yours.”
 
Yes Sesshomaru-sama.”
 
The little girl felt odd, her tired eyes trained on the old man. A tingling sensation made her feel lightheaded. For an instant, she believed she saw Belgarath's form blend with that of his almost double. Only instead of self-assurance, concern, and love, this man held doubt, fear, and anger. There was a vague familiarity about him, that Rin had seen him some place. The little girl wanted to ask who he was, but found her vocals frozen. It felt like the time before her lord had revived her, the ability to speak evading her and compelling her silence.
 
The dual-image faded as Belgarath stepped forward. “Well, young lady, you certainly rattled my teeth tonight.”
 
Sesshomaru growled, taking a step back. “This Sesshomaru would like to retire for the night so Rin can get her rest.”
 
Rin looked up into his face, seeing her lord's ire in his tight frown. She glanced back towards the old sorcerer. “Rin is sorry and promises she'll try to not let it happen again.”
 
Polgara smiled, her voice soft, “No one is angry with you, dear. It's happened to us all at one time or another.”
 
Belgarath paced, clasping his hands behind his back. “If you don't mind my asking, I'm curious to know what happened.”
 
Sesshomaru growled loudly, and Rin felt fury surge in his aura. He snapped, “This conversation is finished.”
 
Poledra shook her head, resting her hand onto the old man's shoulder. “One thinks it's best if you leave this matter be. What matters is that no harm was done.” She stared at her husband, determination crossing her face. “The day has been long enough.”
 
Belgarath bowed his head. “Yes, Poledra.” He turned, making his way towards camp. Over his shoulder, he called, “Come along, Pol.”
 
Polgara glanced towards Poledra before backing down as well. “Yes, father.”
 
The pair turned, leaving them alone with Poledra. Sesshomaru calmed, taking a few deep breaths. He adjusted his grip on Rin, and walked past the wolf-woman on his way back to their tent. He stopped when Poledra spoke.
 
“One will want to discuss what happened when we have our next lesson.”
 
“That is acceptable.”
 
Rin lowered her eyes. “Yes, Poledra-sama.”
 
Poledra cupped the little girl's chin in her hand. “Try to get some rest, dear. You've had enough excitement for one day.” She tilted her head in Sesshomaru's direction. “One will let you know when the next lesson will be.”
 
The wolf-woman stepped back, her image shimmering. Instead of the great silver she-wolf Rin had seen Poledra transform herself into in the past, this time she blurred into that of a majestic snowy owl. She preened herself before launching into the air on silent wings. Poledra ghosted through the trees until she disappeared from view. Rin stared into the darkness, captivated. The little girl heard the lonely hoot in the distance, knowing it had to be her teacher.
 
Sesshomaru pulled her from her stupor when he adjusted his grip on her, then silently continued into camp. Rin looked up towards her lord, noting the disappointed frown and grimness of his eyes. Humiliation filled her, and the little girl cast hers down. Rin bit her lip when she felt hot tears sting them. She would not display more vulnerability. The little girl wanted to be stronger than that.
 
Rin lifted her head, and watched the camp while they headed towards their tent. It seemed that everyone else had retired, for it almost looked deserted. The fire had been put out some time ago, so not to alert others to their location. Polgara's pale face peeked out of a tent, her white lock becoming like frost in the moonlight. She smiled and nodded before ducking back inside.
 
Sesshomaru lowered his head and entered their tent, then sat down. He pulled her against his chest, holding on tightly. The Demon Lord nuzzled his nose into her hair, sighing. His hand slid over her hair before his thin fingers wove into it. Sesshomaru's grip tightened further, and he gently brushed her temple with a kiss.
 
Rin had never seen her lord behave so. They had certainly become much more openly affectionate with one another since beginning this journey. This was different. Again, his grip was as forceful as it was when he found her in the grove earlier that night. Not even after the boy had cornered her had her lord held her this way. It seemed to Rin that the Demon Lord was afraid to let her go.
 
Finally, Sesshomaru's grasp eased, and he turned to grab the abandoned bandages. He tilted his head towards her ankle, silently asking her to return it to the pillows. Rin averted her eyes from his, blushing. She shifted, elevating it. The pain was dulled, so she knew that Polgara's medicine had taken full effect.
 
The little girl watched her lord slip her injured foot into his lap. He slid one end of the wrap underneath it. He then pulled the other side over the top, slowly repeating the process. Rin could tell that this task was not easy with one hand. Sesshomaru reached the bandage's end, and tucked it before using the safety pin to secure it. Once it was completed, her lord did not move her foot from his lap, but rather sat staring down at it, his bangs hiding his eyes.
 
Rin whispered, “Thank-you, Sesshomaru-sama.”
 
Sesshomaru curtly nodded, his only outward response. He idly ran a clawed finger over her wrapped foot. The little girl was accustomed to his silence, but found this one unnerving. She feared, perhaps, she had let him down once too many, and now he was pondering how to send her away. Maybe her Will and her mistakes using it had been too much. She looked away, the quiet of the tent deafening her.
 
Rin sent her thought towards him, and said, “Rin's sorry she let her fear control her. She knows that it must disgust Sesshomaru-sama.”
 
Sesshomaru leaned forward, gripping her chin firmly in his hand. “Look at me, Rin.”
 
Rin lifted her eyes to meet his. “Sesshomaru-sama---”
 
Do I look disgusted?” The Demon Lord rested a finger over her lips. He held her gaze, his usual stoic expression replaced with a warmth that made his eyes look like honey rather than burnished gold.
 
No, Sesshomaru-sama.” Rin fingered the chain of her amulet. “Rin's still sorry she troubled you. It was inconsiderate of her.”
 
Sesshomaru's expression darkened, and he frowned. “Nonsense, Rin. You have done nothing wrong.” He let go of her chin, and shifted to sit behind her. He pulled her against his chest, and rested his cheek against her hair. “You have nothing to be ashamed about, Rin.”
 
But Rin ran away and did not face her fear. She knows Sesshomaru-sama disapproves of such behavior.” Rin settled against him.
 
You faced something this morning that most demons of this Sessomaru's class quite possibly could not.” Sesshomaru paused, running his hand over her hair. “It was only natural to desire to get away.”
 
Rin twisted, throwing her arms around his torso. She hid her face into his chest. “Rin wants to be strong, like you, Sesshomaru-sama. She never wants to run away like that again.”
 
Rin, you are already strong like this Sesshomaru.” Sesshomaru kissed her hair. “You are stronger than you'll ever know.”
 
How?”
 
You remember the moments before your death, do you not? You remember the exact moment it happened, and how it occurred.” Sesshomaru sighed. “Rin, what you experienced by being killed and brought back to life all the while carrying those memories would drive even the most formidable of demons mad. You have persevered where others would fail. That is true strength.”
 
Rin hugged Sesshomaru tight. She rested her head onto his shoulder, relishing in his embrace. She bit her lip, and asked, “You won't send Rin away?”
 
Sesshomaru tightened his hold on her. “What would make you think this Sesshomaru would?”
 
Rin knows Sesshomaru-sama does not like weakness. She knows that she is a distraction to him in battle when she lets her weaknesses get the best of her.” The little girl made small circles on her lord's shoulder. “She thought maybe he wouldn't want her around to distract him, the way she did when he got hurt fighting that one demon.”
 
Do not be foolish, Rin.” Sesshomaru nuzzled his nose in her hair, taking a deep breath. “Let this Sesshomaru decide if you are a distraction or not.”
 
Yes, Sesshomaru-sama.” Rin sighed. “But Rin still ran away from the dark-haired demon instead of standing her ground.”
 
Remember what this Sesshomaru told you about that useless creature? You are his superior. He is not worth thinking about.” The Demon Lord's voice became stern inside her head. “You have true power where he only borrows from tainted jewels to hide his inadequacies. Never forget that.”
 
Rin does?”
 
Yes. You are able to do more with your Will than he ever will with the meager strength he possesses.” Sesshomaru chuckled softly. “Did you not use a whip of blue fire on those weak minions from Hell in that battle? Did you not shatter solid rock the same way? You, Rin, are capable of so much more than he could dare to dream.”
 
Rin smiled and lifted her head. She looked into her lord's face, seeing a soft smile grace his ethereal face. “Rin can?”
 
That is what this Sesshomaru has said, is it not?”
 
Rin sighed, looking down. “She still made a mistake with it tonight. She must learn to do better.”
 
Rin,” Sesshomaru lifted her face to look into his. “You have done well. Do not let one mistake discourage you.” He frowned. “Why did you react the way you did when this Sesshomaru tried to wrap your ankle earlier?”
 
Rin blushed. “Rin---Rin was embarrassed and didn't want you to see.”
 
Sesshomaru snorted. “I see.” His brows furrowed. “And out there, how did you make a fire with no tools? The flint is in the pack.”
 
Rin vaguely recalled the old man again, and his fingers producing fire. A sharp throb assaulted her temple, and a strong compulsion to keep him secret overwhelmed her. Rin winced, resting her head onto his fur. She whispered, “Rin rubbed some sticks together, like she has done in the past when she lost her flint.”
 
Sesshomaru pursed his lips. He had a dubious expression, then nodded. “This Sesshomaru believes you.”
 
Rin sighed, nuzzling her nose against his throat. She yawned wide, feeling sleepy. “Rin's very tired now, Sesshomaru.”
 
Sesshomaru slid his fur around her and secured her against his chest. “Get your rest, Rin. The wolf-woman was right---today has been long.”
 
The little girl relaxed in his warm embrace. She closed her eyes, and let the safety of her lord's presence soothe her. Rin whispered, “Good night, Sesshomaru-sama.”
 
Rest well, Rin.”
 
Author's Note: Please check out my livejournal at farawayeyes4 for more information, review responses, and news.