Crossover Fan Fiction / Sailor Moon Fan Fiction / Kannaduko No Miko Fan Fiction ❯ Scarlet Lune ❯ Chapter 2 ( Chapter 2 )

[ A - All Readers ]

Disclaimer: Sailor Moon does not belong to me, nor does Kannazuki no Miko belong to me. This is purely a work of fiction made for non-profit entertainment and is in no way connected to the original source.
 
A.N: It has been forever since I've updated. There's no excuse, well there is, but I doubt readers would like to read a lengthy explanation for my absence. Especially since this fic has been on hiatus for a year and more so I shall save the lengthiness for the chapter itself and get on with it…
 
 
Scarlet Lune
 
Chapter 2:
 
 
It was dusk, as Fukumiya Tomiko journeyed down the streets of Tokyo in a cab towards her new residence at the Hikawa Jinja. Her arrival was passed due. For the first time in her entire life, she was late. Rei and Hino-san had expected her arrival at 5.
 
Five o'clock had come and gone but more importantly so had Himeko. Tomiko frowned inwardly cursing all previous engagements, obligations. She cursed herself for even mildly suggesting that they part ways. For she wanted to keep Himeko, runaway with her, stay with her. Forget all the world and know only Himeko.
 
Yet, her upbringing forbade such fantasies, reality was she had obligations to care for and was sure Himeko did too. Not to mention Hino-san and Rei would worry, and the family would be informed, who, in turn would send out a search party.
 
Tea had been quaint and light hearted. The conversations flowed endlessly. She and Himeko are two very different people, but the contrast was enigmatic. Himeko kept drawing her in. Like a whirlpool. The more she spoke, the more she laughed, the more Tomiko felt herself being sucked in.
 
Himeko was so carefree, so innocent, and so free. She radiated. She was pure and genuine. Tomiko found herself lost in Himeko's tales of her travels across Japan. Her nights camped out under the stars, working from one miscellaneous job to another. Her quest for the perfect picture. Himeko embodied everything Tomiko's never known, yet yearned to know. Himeko was free as a bird. Duty free, doing things for the sake of herself. The spontaneous and unimaginable.
 
From her tales Tomiko felt as if she was there herself living along side Himeko, watching her, experiencing things with her. It was like she was a part of Himeko's life. Everything about the little blonde was familiar. An opaque familiarity that sent tingling chills pulsing to her very core.
 
As the cab pulled along the side of the road leading to the steps of the shrine, Tomiko spotted Hino-san perched on the last step, meditating, as he anticipated her arrival.
 
After settling her fare with the driver Tomiko approached the elderly man. Drawing nearer to the resident priest, it became difficult to suppress a small smile, for Hino-san was not meditating. The soft breathing and light snore spoke differently. A pang of guilt struck Tomiko. `I should have called.' For Hino-san was a kind soul, he could have easily discarded her request to reside at the shrine. His mistreatment by her clan was reason enough to reject her upfront.
 
Tomiko silently sat beside the napping elder, and too began to meditate.
 
The Hino clan and Fukumiya clans were once very close. For generations the Fukumiya clan sponsored the shrine maintained by the Hinos'. The feud between the two clans ignited when a young heiress of Fukumiya fell in love with Hino Ryo, heir to the shrine. Their relationship was frowned upon, but the couple, young and in love defied all odds and eloped. The Fukumiya clan disowned the heiress, one Fukumiya Akane, Rei's grandmother.
 
From what Tomiko gathered, the pair ran away to the rural country to be together. A few years later, Hino's father fell ill, and the couple returned to take over the shrine, with them was their young daughter Hino Natsumi.
 
Not too soon after taking over the shrine Akane had fallen ill, and soon passed away.
 
Regret and grief struck Akane's parents, for they felt guilty for cutting themselves out of her life. It was then decided that Hino Natsumi would be taken and raised as an heiress of Fukumiya, bred for high society. Hino Ryo had very little to say about the issue.
 
Natsumi later married an ambitious politician, who used the Fukumiya and Hino name to his advantage. He took Natsumi's name. Soon after the birth of their first daughter Natsumi was struck with the same illness that had befallen her late mother. Her struggle with the illness lasted longer than that of her mother. Her husband was always away on business. When she passed away, the clan wanted to raise Rei as they did Natsumi but Rei exuded strange powers at an early age. The elders foresaw it as an ill omen. Fearing Rei would bring ill fortune to the household, she was placed in the care of her grandfather. `The sanctity of the shrine should expelled any ill omen from the child,' was what Tomiko was told by the elders when she questioned Rei's sudden departure.
 
Up to when Tomiko was moved abroad she made it a point to see Rei as often as she could, though it wasn't as often as she wanted to. Her schedule had always been packed with classes, extracurricular activities, finishing school, violin lessons, tea ceremonies and so on and so forth. She was only able to see Rei once a month for tea at the shrine.
 
 
`Closed'
 
Himeko stood in front of the Toudai registration office. She hadn't expected the office to still be open but still she was one filled with hope. She had nowhere else to go now.
 
Finding a nearby bench, Himeko set her things down and laid on the bench. She wasn't estranged to such accommodations. Often enough she spent cool nights like this sleeping under the stars and moon. Many feared being alone at night and her actions idiotic. Who knew what lurked in the darkness? Staring into the night sky, she sought out the moon. She never felt alone when the moon watched over her. Starring at the moon instantly conjured Tomi's image.
 
They were as different as night and day. They compared stories of their recent travels. Tomi was far more worldly than Himeko, spending the last five years abroad in Europe.
 
Where Himeko told tales of her and Mako-chan's daily routines, and unusual wake up calls, Tomi listed all that she was involved in. Himeko was in awe of Tomi's accomplishments, but could not help but detect more than a bit of loneliness in her voice. As if all she's ever done was for the sake of doing it and not for herself. But Himeko could not help but notice how Tomi's sapphire eyes sparkled when she spoke of her competition days. Himeko liked her eyes. Especially when she spoke of the thrill, the speed, the power of riding a horse, Tomi sounded like an overly excited child. Yet silence had followed. Himeko wanted to ask, wanted to know, needed to know what brought on this wave of sadness in Tomi, yet held back. If Tomi wanted to tell her she would. Why would she though? They were practically strangers who'd just met.
 
Tea with Tomi ended abruptly, when a furry friend decided to literally crash the party. From under the table a furry critter jumped into Himeko's lap knocking her onto her back. Tomi was quickly by her side lifting the pup into her arms. Concern etched in her delicate porcelain face. No bump or bruise. Himeko didn't bruise easily, and she told Tomi so. Tomi had insisted on helping Himeko up.
 
The puppy seemed to have strayed far from home and the pair decided to return him to his owner.
 
Himeko was grateful for the puppy, because of the puppy Himeko got to spend more time with Tomi.
 
Himeko closed her eyes, enjoying the cool evening breeze, which always seemed to be caressing her skin. Dancing intimately around her. She was beginning to doze off, when the breeze became a cold chill, and began to howl. Himeko liked to believe that the moon guarded her at night. It warned her whenever potential danger was nearby. She was never caught off guard at night. She's learned to read the nightly signs. Himeko sat up and gazed around. In the shadows, far from sight she sensed a person. “Who's there?”
 
Silence…
 
From the shadows a woman appeared. A tall and exotic Amazon, with a healthy bronze complexion blessed by the sun, all knowing eyes stained red with wisdom and knowledge. A dark mane, tainted olive, camouflaged, merging with night's shadows. A knowing smile graced the stranger's face.
 
Himeko relaxed, as the howling wind subsided. Immediately she thought she was in trouble, not the physical, life threatening kind, but of the trespassing, loitering, law-breaking kind and began to apologize. “Sorry, I know I shouldn't be here after hours, but I missed my sign in time. I'm new. Starting classes soon. I'm supposed to be assigned a dorm but I arrived late and the office is closed. I was just going to wait here until morning. But if you direct me to a nearby park I'll leave,” Himeko rambled on.
 
The woman smiled gently. “I think I can assist you.”
 
Himeko smiled brightly, “Can you really? That would be very helpful.” Himeko spotted a name tag. “Meioh-sama.”
 
“Setsuna, please,” the time senshi insisted. “Meioh-sama makes me sound old.”
 
Himeko nodded, “Setsuna-san. I really appreciate your help.”
 
“Follow me,” Setsuna instructed, as she walked towards the closed registration office.
 
“Do you work here?” Himeko asked. Setsuna replied with a silent smile. “Of course you do. You wouldn't be helping me if you didn't,” Himeko chastised herself for asking such a silly question. “What is it you do?”
 
The pair entered the now unlocked and lit office. “I keep time,” Setsuna answered as she began typing on the computer. “I make sure things happen when they're suppose to happen.”
 
Himeko nodded, not understanding Setsuna entirely, her words giving Himeko a slight chill.
 
Setsuna feigned confusion, although she was holding back a smile. “It seems you are not in our database Kurusugawa-san.”
 
“I told you my name?” Himeko voiced her confusion not recalling when she had introduced herself. She assumed she gave her name when Setsuna gave hers.
 
Setsuna only smiled knowingly.
 
“Wait, I'm not in your database?” Himeko exclaimed softly. “I received this letter in the mail last week in Kyoto,” Himeko searched her bag for the letter but not finding it.”
 
“That is strange,” Setsuna answered. “Maybe I can search you by address.”
 
“I was staying at an inn,” Himeko answered, then pausing to re-evaluate her answer.
 
“An inn?” Setsuna questioned. “Normally, letters of acceptances are forwarded to resident addresses.”
 
Things weren't coming together. It didn't make sense anymore. She was at an inn. How did the university know where to find her? Her aunt and uncle didn't even know how to reach her. Mako-chan her closest friend did not know how to find her. Another offer of admission was sent to her after she did `not' respond two years ago. To the best school in the country? No, it didn't make sense. Who was she to be sought after? For her, Kurusugawa Himeko, mundane average student. Nothing made sense now.
 
“Kurusugawa-san?” Setsuna called, shaking her from her thoughts.
 
“I'm sorry to have bothered you. I have to go,” Himeko answered, panic evident in her voice, clutching her bag tightly she fled the office.
 
“Do not fret Hi no Miko-sama, your students await,” Setsuna whispered into the still night.
 
 
“Artemis?” Minako called to her feline guardian, as the pair engaged in their nightly stroll. Since the final battle with Galaxia no major threats have risen. A stray youma here and there, but nothing to disturb the peace. The senshi both inner and outer devised a weekly schedule, deciding who should patrol which nights and where. Setsuna and Hotaru were on duty tonight. Tonight was Minako's off night, but her habits as both the super heroine Sailor V, and her years as Sailor Venus kept her patrolling every night. Even in the calmest of nights she'd sneak in a quick sweep.
 
Artemis often assisted his charge on her nightly strolls. “What is it Minako?”
 
“Why was I awakened first?” It was a random, but tonight Minako did not want silence. Usually she'd spend her nights with Rei, they'd either patrol together or else she'd be over at the temple admiring the miko's manga collection.
 
“Because I had awakened before Luna,” Artemis replied. “and Metillia's forces were already regrouping.”
 
“Yes but why did you come to me Artemis? Why not Rei, her premonitions would've been far more useful. Or Ami-chan? Makoto?” Minako asked. It was still perplexing knowing that she was designated leader when she didn't significantly stand out at all.
 
“I am your guardian Minako. You are the leader of the inner senshi. It is your duty to ensure the princess' safety,” Artemis answered. “We've gone over this before. It had to be you. Take it as a task test to see if you were still a suitable leader.”
 
“What made me leader in the first place?” Minako asked, her memory of the previous life was still a mystery to her. Like the other senshi she remembered the final battle and the fall of the kingdom, but that was all.
 
“All the senshi were put through a series of tests and trials. You rose above the others as leader through this process,” Artemis responded.
 
“Did you choose me?” Minako asked, peering around the park, keeping notice of all things in the shadows as well as under the moonlight.
 
Artemis was thoughtful for a moment, lost in his own thoughts. “No.”
 
“No?” Minako responded curiously. “Then who…” stalling mid-sentence she noticed a girl. Alone sitting on a swing set. Lost in her own thoughts. She felt an unnatural pull to the girl. Unconsciously Minako began to approach the blonde stranger.
 
The evening breeze played with her blonde locks as if trying to comfort her, tousling her white ribbon into her face causing her to giggle. Before Minako spoke the girl turned to her with a gentle smile. “Hi there.” Her blonde hair golden, darker than Usagi's.
 
`Eyes of Amethyst' Minako immediately thought of Rei. Her face softened, confusion wiped from her mind. “Are you okay?” Minako asked.
 
“Just a little distraught,” the girl answered. She gazed at Artemis and smiled, she held out her hand wanting to pet him. “What's his name?”
 
“Artemis,” Minako replied.
 
“He's very handsome,” she scratched under his chin, Artemis purred.
 
“Don't feed his ego. He'll get cocky,” Minako warned. Smiling at the girl, she introduced herself, “I'm Aino Minako.”
 
“Kurusugawa Himeko,” the girl responded. “Artemis-san has every reason to be cocky,” Himeko continued gently caressing Artemis' crescent moon mark. “What a strange bald spot.”
 
Artemis frowned.
 
Minako nudged her, “He's a little sensitive about the b-a-l-d-ing,” Minako sighed shaking her head, “The vet said it's a matter of days before he's as bare as a Siamese.”
 
Artemis started hissing at Minako, clearly peeved, as she tried to suppress a grin. She sat on the swing beside Himeko.
 
Himeko picked him up placing him in her lap to pet him.
 
“What are you doing out so late?” Minako asked. “You know these parts are known for random monster attacks.”
 
“It's a nice night,” Himeko replied with another soft giggle.
 
“Aren't you afraid?” Minako ventured on.
 
“What's there to be afraid of?” Himeko asked. “Minako-san and Artemis-san have been my only visitors tonight.”
 
“Isn't anyone waiting for you at home?” Minako asked hesitantly. Wondering if maybe this girl was like her, with withdrawn, oblivious parents.
 
Himeko starred at the ground. “I just got into town,” Himeko answered beginning to recount her troubles with Minako briefly. “So I really have no where to go, but I don't mind. I'm use to it. The world is my oyster,” She was coddling Artemis now.
 
Minako couldn't leave her, a part of her would not allow it. “You can come home with me. My roommates won't mind. You could stay with us,” Minako offered. “We're looking for a fourth roommate,” Minako added.
 
“I don't want to intrude,” Himeko responded.
 
“Nonsense, I insist. And so does Artemis,” Minako declared, not taking no for an answer. Artemis meowed his delight.
 
“I…” she felt the evening breeze again, attentively urging her. Never one to defy whatever deity it was that guarded her at night, Himeko took this as a sign to go with Minako. “Maybe…just for tonight,” Himeko graciously accepted.
 
“Good. The girls will be thrilled,” Minako beamed, linking arms with Himeko, and leading towards home.
 
 
“I apologize for having worried you,” Tomiko regarded Rei. As the pair caught up in Rei's room while grandpa resided for the evening.
 
“It's alright. I understand. You probably just wanted a little time to yourself,” Rei answered. She did not need to know where. She understood, it was rare for Tomiko to have complete privacy.
 
Rei was five minutes away from alerting the proper authorities when she stumbled upon a dozing grandpa, and a jet lagged Tomiko by the shrine steps, asleep. With a serene face Tomiko explained that they were `meditating.' Grandpa but laughed and ushered his girls into the shrine.
 
“I hope you don't feel that I am intruding,” Tomiko spoke as she wandered about Rei's room.
 
“No. I'm glad you're here,” Rei immediately replied.
 
“Ever since I was a child, I've wanted to come here and live with you and Hino-san at the shrine,” Tomiko explained.
 
“Did you?” It's been five years since Rei last seen Tomiko. Back when she was younger Rei did not see the sadness in her cousin's demure as she did now. The loneliness. Maybe it was because they led similar lives back then. Never knowing true friendship. People avoided Rei because of her strange powers. But Tomiko was alone even when there were people all around her. Being the prime heiress of Fukumiya did not allow time for friends and leisure.
 
“Yes. It's peaceful and serene here. No distractions.” Tomiko replied, picking up a framed photo of all the senshi, both inner and outer, and their princess. She studied it. “You know Kaioh Michiru?” Tomiko asked recognizing the renowned violinist.
 
“She is a dear friend of ours,” Rei answered. “Do you know her?”
 
“I was to play a benefit concert with her before the accident,” Tomiko answered, continuing to scan the faces in the photo. “This girl has a unique hairdo,” she said commenting on Usagi.
 
“Odango-hime,” Rei laughed, hoping maybe her princess could also enrich her cousin's life as well, “She wants to meet you. Do you remember a Mizuno Ami, as well? She tied first with you for a mock exam a few years ago. But you fell ill and could not meet her at the acknowledgement ceremony,” reminding Tomiko of Ami.
 
“Mizuno-san yes, it is a shame I came down with the flu,” Tomiko answered. “I would be honoured to meet your friends Rei,” Tomiko replied. Her eyes fell upon another blonde in the group. Drawn in by the big red bow adorning her golden locks. Her eyes softened, thinking of Himeko. Though this girl was a tad taller and wasn't as cute as Himeko, but she was indeed very beautiful.
 
Rei caught Tomiko starring at Minako, with a softened expression. She's seen that expression before on Tomiko. Not in this life time, but before. She felt a twinge of dread and fear. “That's Minako,” Rei said gently taking the frame out of Tomiko's hands and holding it close. She's never felt like this before. She clutched onto the picture of Minako, who in the picture was embracing her from behind.
 
Tomiko's lips curved upwards thinking, `Himeko, Minako Himeko.' “So you are close?” she regarded Rei.
 
Rei nodded, “They are all very dear to me,” not knowing if Tomiko meant just her and Minako or her and the gang.
 
“I am glad that you are happy Rei,” Tomiko announced. “Could you please show me to my room? Forgive me for not being able to speak with you some more. I feel a little tired.”
 
Placing her photo down Rei went to Tomiko's side, “Sorry, I shouldn't be keeping you. You must be exhausted.”
 
Rei led Tomiko out of her room and into a spare bedroom across the hall from her own.
 
 
Before they reached the apartment complex Minako managed to stow away for a few minutes to inform Usagi and Makoto of their overnight guest and potential roommate. She warned them to make a good impression and not scare the poor girl off.
 
Himeko did not notice her absence for she was too busy chasing after Artemis who took off giving Minako the opportunity to call the others.
 
Before Minako caught up to the pair, the sudden screech of a braking car, followed by the echoing of a car horn breeched the sound barrier. Running at full speed Minako came upon Himeko clutching onto a shaking Artemis, and a black sports car speeding away.
 
“Are you alright?” Minako exclaimed.
 
Himeko nodded, her ever present smile plastered on. “Artemis-san is a little shaky, but there are no injuries,” she replied.
 
Minako took Artemis into her arms, noticing Himeko's bleeding wrist. “You're hurt!” she exclaimed.
 
“It's nothing,” Himeko waved it off.
 
“Hurry, let's get you upstairs and get that cleaned up,” Minako ordered urgently, holding Himeko's wrist gently and tugging her into the building.
 
Minako practically plowed down the front door, nearly steam rolling over Luna as she deposited Himeko in the living room and made a beeline to the first-aid kit.
 
It took a moment for Himeko to balance herself and catch her breath. Once she had, she realized she was not alone. Five other people occupied the room. All eyes were on her. Two of the five faces she recognized, and she could tell recognized her as well.
 
She introduced herself to the occupants in the room , with her hands folded in front, “Good evening, sorry to intrude. Minako-san insisted that I go home with her. I am Kurusugawa Himeko.”
 
She regarded the two familiar faces, “Tenoh-san, Kaioh-san, what a coincidence. How was the rest of the race?”
 
Haruka smiled broadly seeing the tiny blonde again, giving her the thumbs up. She was disappointed when she didn't see her at the end of the race.
 
“Twice in one day, I think we're destined to meet,” Michiru greeted. “I hope you made it to your appointment on time.”
 
Himeko blushed and shook her head in response.
 
“Hi Himeko-san, welcome,” a bubbly blonde bounced to her feet and greeted her. She had a unique hair style, her hair was put up in two buns, like Princess Leia, but also two pigtails extend from the buns. Unique indeed. “Minako-chan said you're going to be our new roommate. You're going to love living with us! Mako-chan is the best chef ever!”
 
“Please to meet you,” Himeko bowed.
 
“Forgetting something princess?” Haruka reminded, cutting her off before she blasted into another rant.
 
The energetic blonde gazed confusingly at the older woman before she understood, “Oh! I'm Tsukino Usagi!”
 
Himeko smiled broadly.
 
The brunette and blunette were both on their feet now beside Usagi to greet Himeko.
 
“I'm Mizuno Ami, please to meet you Kurusugawa-san,” Ami, the bluenette regarded the blonde. “I'm just a friend.”
 
“A very close friend, who practically lives here,” the brunette spoke up.
 
“Ami-chan is the resident genius, she comes over all the time to make sure we all keep up with our studies,” Usagi piped up.
 
“Kino Makoto,” the brunette offered. Now cradling Luna. “This is Luna.”
 
“She's beautiful,” Himeko replied scratching beneath Luna's chin, noticing the crescent moon bald spot on her as well. She caressed it gently.
 
Luna saw a flash of light when Himeko touched her. She gazed at Himeko long and hard. Studying her.
 
Makoto noticed the nasty scrape on Himeko's wrist. “You're hurt,” she pointed out. Luna hopped out of Makoto's arms and started circling her.
 
“It's nothing really.” A loud crash thundered from the direction Minako disappeared into. “Minako-san?” Himeko called.
 
“Coming!” hollered the blonde's voice. “Nurse Minako to the rescue!”
 
Out of reflex, Usagi stopped, dropped and rolled as far away as possible. While the others cleared way for Minako, backing away slowly.
 
Minako came charging from the washroom, first-aid kit in all. She skidded to a stop in front of Himeko. “Injury please.”
 
Himeko was about to place her hand in Minako's when Makoto suddenly interjected, “NO!” she called putting herself between Himeko and Minako. “We want her to stay right? Be nice, be kind? Be normal?” Makoto reminded quoting Minako.
 
Minako rolled her eyes, “I know. She's hurt. She saved Artemis' life. I owe her my life. We need to treat her,” Minako explained.
 
Artemis was still being clutched tightly by Minako could barely cough up a meow.
 
Ami rescued the crushed feline, as Michiru relieved Minako of the first aid kit. Haruka quickly guided Himeko away from the hysterical blonde.
 
Michiru soon got to tending to Himeko's scrape.
 
“Thank you,” Himeko told the group. “I've never had this many people concerned over me before. Thank you.”
 
“It's the least we can do,” Makoto answered. “Feline or not, Artemis is a dear friend of ours.”
 
“A foreign city can be cruel at times, every bit of kindness counts, does it not?” Michiru offered.
 
Himeko nodded. “All I've encountered is kindness. Thank you.”
 
“So does that mean you're going to stay? And stay with us?” Minako asked hopefully.
 
“I…I…” Himeko stuttered. “I would like that very much. But I don't have very much money. And I really don't know how long I'm going to stay.”
 
“Stay as long as you want. Worry not about your funds. It beats sleeping on a park bench,” Usagi urged.
 
“The only way we'd put you out is if we're put out with you,” Minako continued.
 
From the ground Luna tackled Himeko knocking her onto the floor. She crawled atop her continuing to scrutinize the perplex girl.
 
“LUNA!” Usagi exclaimed.
 
“You really can't say no now,” Haruka laughed.
 
“Thank you,” Himeko graciously accepted the offer carefully picking up Luna now to coddle her.
 
 
That's all for now folks.
 
Loadsa Luv
 
Shy Girl1988
 
PS sorrie for the late late late update. A thousand pardons.