Crossover Fan Fiction ❯ A YYH/YGO Fanfic (Aren't I creative with names?) ❯ Dinner ( Chapter 14 )

[ P - Pre-Teen ]

A YYH/YGO Fanfic
 
Please note: the characters from the shows are not mine; I'm just playing with them. ~The Author
 
When I got home, I entered with my head down.
“Sorry I'm late, Mom.” I called, setting my backpack down in my room and walking into the kitchen.
“It's alright,” she replied cheerily. “My friend from work, who travels around to different schools, explained that you would be.” I narrowed my eyes at this. “He's staying for dinner, by the way,” she added, starting to chop some potatoes. “Go say `hi,” I walked into the living room, and froze. A greenish-blue-haired head was talking to my father, and I immediately knew who it was.
“Dartz,” I mumbled. He paused mid-sentence, and turned.
“Why, hello again, Alex.” he greeted with a smile that I knew was triumphant. I bristled slightly, but replied with the same polite greeting.
“Good evening, Mr. Dartz,” I replied, inclining my head and forcing my shocked gaze to disappear. I reached inside my purse, and clutched my deck tightly. He smirked slightly, knowing that I was caught.
“Your father tells me that you duel. May I see your deck?” My eyes widened in shock. I would not, under any circumstances, let anyone see my deck outside of the arena.
“I'm sorry, but no,” He seemed taken aback, and I knew that I was obligated to explain. “You see, if I were to show you my deck, and it turned out that you duel as well, then I would be at a disadvantage should I challenge you. And, plus, I don't think you should see what not even my closest friend was allowed to see.” His eyes flashed for a moment, and then he broke out into a brief smile.
“I understand. Such is the mind of a duelist.” He waved it off, and I took the gesture as a dismissal. I put my deck in its box, and clipped the box onto my belt, trying to keep them from stealing it for research or something. I hid all evidence that I had ever known that anyone but the Duelists had existed, and walked out, sitting down at head of the table. Dartz sat at the other end, and my parents sat on either side of us. I gave Dartz a hidden glare, and he returned with a cool, triumphant expression.
“So,” my mom started, trying to ease the tension in the air, “What brings you to America, Dartz?”
“Oh, the usual. Tournaments, talent-searching, and the like.”
“Well, actually, Alex is quite an accomplished duelist at her school. She's very good.” Mom remarked proudly.
“Actually, I'm not very good. My brother still beats me every time, no matter how good I get or how much I improve my deck.” I stated, not looking up from my plate as I ate my food.
“Oh no. I've seen her duel. She's very impressive for one her age. I must admit, I was very sad when she turned down my job offer.” I paused. What was he getting at?
“Job offer?” my father questioned.
“Oh, she didn't tell you? I offered for her to come work for me, but she turned me down flat.” Dartz said innocently. It was taking all of my self-control not to leap across the table, punch his face in, and then wring his neck.
“I still need to finish my education before I think about getting a full-time job, and even if it were part-time, I might become obsessed over it and skip out on my homework for dueling, which is not something I need to be doing right now.” I defended quickly, resuming my meal.
“Oh, but Alex, that's a good opportunity for you!” Mom cried, delighted with this news. I stared at my now-empty plate for a moment, and then looked up, right at Dartz.
“I don't approve of your methods and rules for dueling. You ask for the opponents to gamble too much for my tastes.” I stated, glaring at Dartz for a moment before taking my plate to the kitchen. Mental Thought: `I will not join your “Doom Team.” I will not destroy all that I hold dear.' My tri-colored stone began shining brightly, and I grasped it, stroking it lovingly. Mental Thought: `I'm glad I've got this with me. If I didn't, I would be long dead. Or, rather, much more ignorant than I already am. Yes, you would. Trust the tri-colors, for then no emotion can truly overpower another. No. Trust the teal. I'm much better than that stupid THING.' I paused, wondering what the heck that was. Mental Thought: `It's the Orechalcos stone saying that. Don't believe it. Yes, don't believe it, Thunder. Resist!' I raised an eyebrow at my stones.
“You've got to be kidding me…” I said. “Now I'm hearing voices. Great. That totally makes me feel more confident in my sanity.” Mental Thought: `You are sane, my friend. That I can promise. I hope you're not lying, Amazon. For both our sake…'
 
To be continued…