Crossover With Non-anime Series Fan Fiction / Samurai X Fan Fiction / Rurouni Kenshin Fan Fiction ❯ Rurouni Kenshin and the Lord of the Rings ❯ Ch. 14: A vain road to take ( Chapter 68 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Chapter 14: A vain road to take, journey to the Dwimorberg Mountain

Aragorn began to fasten his new sword, Andúril, onto Brego, the horse that once belonged to Théodred. Kenshin also had his things prepared for his horse, preparing to go with Aragorn to the Paths of the Dead. However, their plans for a quiet exit were not unnoticed when Éowyn walked by, seeing Aragorn and Kenshin gathering their things for this perilous journey.

"…Why are you doing this?" Éowyn cried, with fear shining in her eyes, "The war lies to the East; you cannot leave on the eve of battle! You cannot abandon the men!"

Aragorn peeked at Éowyn, but turned back to gathering supplies.

-

Éowyn then turned to Kenshin, and said, "Kenshin… Aragorn would listen to you. Tell him that he must stay!"

"…Miss Éowyn," replied Kenshin, "I intend to go with Aragorn into the Dwimorberg Mountain, that I do."

Éowyn gasped at the mention of the mountain as she spoke in fear, "…the Paths of the Dead?"

Kenshin gave no response to Éowyn, giving her his obvious answer.

"…But no one has returned from that dreadful crag!" cried Éowyn, reproachfully, "this is madness! It is a vain road to take, even for the two of you. Death is all that you shall find on that road!"

"Éowyn," Aragorn chided her gently as he moved around her to Brego's head, "…Kenshin and I must do this."

"But we need you here," Éowyn said softly, yet desperately.

Aragorn then stopped what he was doing, and turned to face Éowyn, looking her in the eyes.

"…Why have you come?" he asked earnestly.

"…Do you not know?" Éowyn returned, gazing up at him, her eyes shining with unshed tears, despair filling her…

Aragorn slowly lifted a consoling hand to caress Éowyn's cheek, for he knew what Éowyn wanted… for him to return her feeling of love that had been filling inside of her, ever since that day after Théodred's funeral. Éowyn had been striving to gain Aragorn's affections even when he truthfully told her, with all his heart how he respected her and her fears. And now, at this particular moment, Éowyn, as well as Aragorn, knew that he had to eventually disclose his feelings to her…

"…It is but a shadow and a thought that you love," Aragorn told her regretfully, yet sincerely, "…I cannot give you what you seek."

Éowyn's eyes widened in shock and distress to hear his response that came from his mouth.

"I have wished you joy since first I saw you," Aragorn solemnly added… as Éowyn slowly backed away from him, looking into his eyes, sensing that he was telling the truth, realizing that Aragorn had pitied her all this time.

"…If you must go," Éowyn began pleading, "then let me ride in your following."

"Thank you Miss Éowyn, but we'll have to decline," Kenshin responded, explaining with reason, "Théoden will most likely need you here in Rohan to help govern the people while he is away, that he will."

Éowyn paused with tears in her eyes as she returned with irritation, not wanting Kenshin or Aragorn's pity, "…must I always be chosen, Kenshin?"

With no more words exchanged, Aragorn and Kenshin bowed their farewells to Éowyn, and began to walk off with their horses. Éowyn could only stand where she was to watch them go to what she believed to be their deaths… and felt something inside her die.

'…Must I always be left behind,' Éowyn thought bitterly, '…and wait on faltering feet?'

Kenshin and Aragorn silently continued to go through the camp, making for the Dimholt road. Suddenly… Gimli stepped up in front of them, dressed for travel, all his weapons with him.

-.

"Just where do you two think you're off to?" the Dwarf asked gruffly as Aragorn and Kenshin both looked down at the Dwarf with fondness.

"Not this time," Aragorn said regretfully, "this time you must stay, Gimli."

"Aragorn and I shall go alone on this journey, that we will," Kenshin added, as Gimli bore his head down.

"Kenshin," someone called to Kenshin, as he and Aragorn turned to their other side…

To see Legolas coming up next to them, with his hands on the reins of the horse named Arod, also packed and ready for travel.

"…Have you learned nothing of the stubborness of Dwarves?" asked Legolas, with a gratifying smile.

"Sir Legolas," spoke a surprised Kenshin.

"You two might as well accept it," Gimli said to Kenshin and Aragorn resolutely, "we're going with you, laddies."

-

Kenshin and Aragorn smiled at each other, knowing that they had just received good company on this journey.

-

"So," another voice came out…

Kenshin looked forward to see Saito and Sanosuke standing in front of them. Sanosuke had with him a large object that he seems to be handling quite well. Saito was smoking his usual cigarettes.

"…Trying to sneak off without telling me again, huh?" Sanosuke added, "really Kenshin, you've got to stop these bad habits of yours."

"Sano," said Kenshin, even more surprised, "I suppose you also want to come along with us."

Sanosuke paused a moment with a smirk before he replied, "actually, I'm just here to see you off this time, Kenshin. I'll stay behind to give Théoden a hand. He'll probably need me, ya know?"

"Or, you'll just be in his way," said Saito.

"WHAT'YA SAY?" Sanosuke growled, which left nearly amused faces upon Aragorn, Legolas, and Kenshin, then went on, grumbling, "well I hope you haven't forgotten that I told you that I'd be on your back like glue, because we still have a score to settle!"

"Whatever," Saito replied, ignoring Sanosuke, then added, "…in any case, as much as I find going into dark, haunted mountains amusing, I absolutely have no time or luxury for ghost stories. So, I'll stay here as well."

Saito puffed smoke out of his mouth and finished, with a smirk, "I want to be where the real action is."

"Sano," interjected Kenshin, noting the object Sanosuke was carrying, "I see you're carrying a new Zanbatou, that you are."

"Yeah, Kenshin," Sanosuke answered happily, "I had Éomer make me one. I figured I'd use it again, against the Orcs in Gondor."

Sanosuke then turned to Aragorn, and noticed the sword that he had with him, "…so, you finally decided to get that old sword of yours remade, huh?"

Aragorn nodded.

"Kenshin broke my old Zanbatou when we first fought and even his old reverse-blade sword got broken," commented Sanosuke, "it looks like that all three of us have new or remade weapons. Well Aragorn, I'm now counting on you to look after Kenshin for me. Because if I die in the battle and find out that he got killed in this journey… then I'm going to come after you into the afterlife, you got that?"

Aragorn smiled at Sanosuke and answered, "…yes Sano, I got it."

When all was said and done… Aragorn and Kenshin left off, with Legolas and Gimli in tow. As the four travelers made their way to the road through the mountains, the soldiers they passed grew concerned. They also noticed that Kenshin was also with Aragorn. Kenshin, like Aragorn, was also a man that they looked to for great hope.

All along the way the soldiers grew more worried when they realized where Aragorn and his party were heading. Sanosuke and Saito walked in between the crowd, sympathizing with the soldiers' reactions to the parting of Aragorn and Kenshin.

"What's happening?" the soldiers asked quietly, yet incredulously.

Misao also made her way into the crowd, watching helplessly as her friends set off for the Paths of the Dead. As Éowyn had said to Aragorn… the people of Rohan had found their captain within him. And now, with Aragorn leaving the Rohirrim, along with Kenshin, the soldiers now felt despair entering their hearts…

"Where are they going?" the solders asked in growing fear, "…I don't understand."

Kenshin and Aragorn knew that the soldiers were asking about them. But, they did not turn to look at any of the soldiers, only at the dark cleft that was just ahead of them… the way towards the Dimholt road. Fully aware of the dangers, the four travelers continued forward toward the cleft… and disappeared into the darkness.

-

"Lord Kenshin! Lord Aragorn!" A soldier called out to them as he saw them disappear.

'Himura… Aragorn,' thought a gasping Misao.

-

"Why does he leave on the eve of battle?" another soldier asked in dismay, of Aragorn.

Gamling, one of the soldiers who witnessed the desertion, turned to the soldiers and answered, "…he leaves because there is no hope."

"He leaves, because he must," Théoden interjected firmly, stepping forward through the crowd with Saito and Sanosuke.

"And besides," Sanosuke chimed in, "you still have me and Saito with you. We can take on anything. Also, Aragorn's not really leaving us behind. He and Kenshin are just trying to get some more help."

"But from the haunted mountain?" Gamling asked incredulously, "none have ever returned from that place. And too few have come, my Lord. We cannot defeat the armies of Mordor."

"…No," Théoden, shaking his head, sadly admitted, as he stared at Sanosuke, "…we cannot…"

Sanosuke stared at the king in return, with a hardened expression. He knew that the king was right, but despite that, they both realized that they have to fight tomorrow.

"…But we will meet them in battle, nonetheless," Théoden said to his men, resolutely.

"Yeah, you all heard the king, people," included Sanosuke, confidently, "so stop worrying yourselves, because tomorrow morning, we're going into battle!"

'Moron,' thought Saito.

But despite Saito's private criticism, the Rohirrim drew their courage from their king and Sanosuke's words and their resolve hardened.

Dawn approached the next day. Éowyn stood silently and somberly to herself like a figure carved in stone, with her arms crossed, looking into the distance, still filled with the shock of Aragorn's rejection of her. Misao saw her friend alone and full of grief, feeling cold and empty inside, with her face perfectly still in deep thought. Misao slowly walked towards Éowyn and stood beside her, to join in watching the sunrise.

"…I kinda heard about what happened with you and Aragorn," said Misao, "I'm sorry."

"…I thank you for your counsel, Misao," replied Éowyn, almost emotionless, "but I do not desire any kind of pity, especially from any man. For long, I have desired the love of Aragorn, because he truly understood, and respected me, that I wanted much glory above all mean things that crawled on the earth. And yet… he only gave me understanding and pity, saying it is a shadow and thought that I loved."

"Yeah," nodded Misao, "men can be such knuckleheads all the time."

"I had asked to join him and Kenshin to the Paths of the dead," Éowyn told Misao, "…but only said that I should be here to govern my people. All their words are to say, 'I am a woman and your part is in the house'. But I am of the House of Eorl, like my uncle and brother, and not a serving-woman.

"…Have you ever been treated like such, Misao?" asked Éowyn.

"Well, yeah," answered Misao, "…pretty much. When I first met Himura, when he was trying to fight Shishio… he even told me to stay behind. I really don't get him sometimes, even when I discovered that he was Battousai the Manslayer. I'm also a member of the Oniwaban group, and I could've helped him out somehow, just as you feel that you could be very helpful to these guys. And pretty much… I am considered a kid among the rest of the Oniwaban group, just because I'm only 16."

"But you said that you've taken leadership," recalled Éowyn to Misao.

"I have," said Misao, in clarification, "because Okina was trying to dissolve the group at one point. I took control of the Oniwaban group because they were my family… the only family that I truly ever had.

"I'm not like the other men who see you like I do," Misao firmly added as she laid her hand on Éowyn, "…at least more than Aragorn ever will. You wanted to go into battle, right? And I promised that I would do that for you.

"The one thing I'm good at… is keeping promises to my friends, and that includes you, Éowyn," Misao proudly finished.

-

As Misao said her resolve to Éowyn… her face brightened a little, pleased to hear such sincerity from the ninja girl. Her hopes of battle were restored in that instant moment.

"…What would I have done without you, Misao?" asked Éowyn a little relieved, as she laid her hand upon Misao's hand on her shoulder, "…it seems that Lord Aoshi was right… we do have much in common with each other."

"…I see that you two are getting along nicely," said a voice…

It was King Théoden, observing Misao and Éowyn's friendly chat. Yet… he had no idea of what they were conspiring together. Éowyn then released Misao's hand and turned back towards the sunrise, with her arms folded, hands clenched to the sides, and her gloomy expression returning to her.

"…I have left instruction," said Théoden as he walked past Éowyn and Misao looking out into the distance, "the people are to follow your rule in my stead."

Théoden paused a moment… then turned to Éowyn and added firmly, "…take up my seat in the Golden Hall. Long may you defend Edoras… if the battle goes ill."

Éowyn nodded a little, not saying a word. It was just as Kenshin said to her, Théoden would pick her to govern Rohan… a task that Éowyn wanted no part of, whatsoever.

"My lady Misao," Théoden said to Misao, "I am counting on you to help stand by Éowyn. Look after my niece, in good or ill times."

"I will," replied Misao as she curtly bowed at the king.

Éowyn then asked blankly, "…what other duty would you have me do, my lord?"

"…Duty?" questioned the king, with a sympathetic smile, "…no."

Théoden walked up to Éowyn, and lightly unfolded her arms, grasping both her hands in his.

"…I would have you smile again," he softly and sincerely added, "…not grieve, for those whose time has come."

Éowyn could not do fully what her uncle wanted. But… she did manage to muster a small smile, just to please him. Misao looked upon Théoden and Éowyn with great sympathy… feeling sorry for them both, and understood how the king felt about wanting to see his niece smile again. It was the one thing she had in common with Théoden… seeing someone they love smile from the bottom of their hearts… just as Misao long wanted to see Aoshi smile like that.

"…You shall live to see these days renewed," Théoden ended compassionately as he gently and affectionately laid his head upon Éowyn's, "…and no more despair."

Meanwhile, on the Dimholt road…

Morning approached and came as Aragorn, Kenshin, Legolas, and Gimli rode through the dismal gray canyons that were on either side of the road to the Dwimorberg Mountain. But due to the height of the canyon walls, little light reached the canyon floor.

Gimli dazed about his dismal surroundings as he asked, in a hushed voice, "…what kind of army would linger in such a place?"

"One that is cursed," answered Legolas grimly as he began explaining, "…long ago the Men of the Mountain swore an oath, to the last king of Gondor… to come to his aid, to fight."

Kenshin had been listening as Legolas went on, "but when the time came… when Gondor's need was dire, they fled… vanishing into the darkness of the mountain. And so Isildur cursed them… never to rest, until they had fulfilled their pledge."

"…Over 3000 years of being cursed," interjected Kenshin, "…compared to the curse that I have lived with for 10 years, Sir Legolas… it is only a stone throw to what these men have lived with. Nobody should have to be cursed like that… especially people who have willingly broken their commitments.

"…Now is the time, for these men to break their own curse… that it is," finished Kenshin.

Later, as they neared the entrance into the haunted mountain… Aragorn, with sword drawn, and the others dismounted and led their horses, while holding the reins, under the gloom of a stand of black trees that not even Legolas could long endure. However… Kenshin could endure some of the gloominess, as he could relate it to his own past sins of being Battousai, the Manslayer. As they neared the entranceway… a dread fell on them all, even their horses became nervous with fear…

Then before them stood a sheer wall of rock, and in the wall, the Dark Door gaped before them like the mouth of night. Signs and figures were painted above its wide arch too dim to read, down its side, skulls were lined, and a fear flowed from it like a gray vapor…

'Who shall call them from the grey twilight?' Legolas versed in his thoughts, looking upon the door… and at Aragorn, 'the forgotten people… the heir of him to who the oath they swore. From the north shall he come, need shall drive him… he shall pass the door to the Paths of the Dead.'

"…The very warmth of my blood seems stole away," Gimli said nervously, to himself, but the others were silent, and his voice fell dead on the dank fir-needles at his feet.

Legolas looked up at the archway, as he began to read, in an ominous voice, the signs that were painted on the rock…

The way is shut…

It was made by those who are dead…

And the dead, keep it…

The way is shut…

FWHHOOOSHHHHHH!!!!!< /b>

A fierce blast of air mingled with the cries of the dead… suddenly came shooting out of the tunnel, which made the horses rear with terror, tearing their reins from their riders hands… and turned around, bolting back the way they had came…

"…Brego!" Aragorn called fruitlessly to the fleeing animals.

"Its no use Aragorn," said Kenshin solemnly, "…the horses are too scared to come back, that they are."

Realizing this, Aragorn and the others turned back towards the tomb-like entrance of the Dwimorberg Mountain, knowing that they have to go in now… there was no other way…

"…I do not fear death," Aragorn gritted fiercely as he strode through the archway, without the slightest hesitation…

After Aragorn went in, Kenshin firmly stated with conviction, "…I have never feared death either. But throughout most of my life… I had feared living because of the crimes of my past. Even though I have no doubt that my death would lie beyond this door… I shall neither fear death, nor fear wanting to live throughout this path of darkness… that I most certainly won't!"

Kenshin boldly and sternly followed directly behind Aragorn, after finishing his statements… into the darkness of the haunted mountain…

Legolas stood in hesitation for a brief moment… and being motivated by Kenshin and Aragorn's expressions of fearlessness… he went off towards the mountain to follow.

'…I am with you, my friends,' Legolas thought confidently as he went inside. Now… only Gimli was left outside as he watched with terror as his companions went inside the black emptiness before him…

"Well, this is something unheard of," the Dwarf said in utter dismay, "…an Elf will go underground, where a Dwarf dare not?

"Ah… ahhh, I'd never hear the end of it!" Gimli finished, in a quavering voice, and with that… he plunged fearfully, through the dark door of the crag…

-& nbsp;

A/n: another cliffhanger ending folks. I seem to be getting good at them each day, don't I? I hope you liked how I introduced Elladan and Elrohir, the twin sons of Elrond; Glorfindel, Elrond's advisor in Rivendell… especially Halbarad of the Dunedain in the previous chapter, as they were characters in the book that weren't in the movie. Not to mention that Elladan, Elrohir, and Halbarad also went with Aragorn to the Paths of the Dead.

-

Also, the big battle is coming and I'm thinking about putting some Elvish into the fic. So, anyone who knows or is learning the elven language would be very useful.

-

Still, this Monday, May 2… begins my new job at Goodwill. Once again, thanks for your support. Please read and review.

Disclaimer: I do not own Rurouni Kenshin or Lord of the Rings. RK is the property of Nobuhiro Watsuki and Lord of the Rings is the property of Professor J. R. R. Tolkien