Crossover With Non-anime Series Fan Fiction / Samurai X Fan Fiction / Rurouni Kenshin Fan Fiction ❯ Rurouni Kenshin and the Lord of the Rings ❯ Ch. 15: Kenshin and the Paths of the Dead ( Chapter 69 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

A/n: My new job at Goodwill is fantastic so far. I'm getting compliments that I'm doing a superb job around the building. But other than that, I'm still thinking about the story. Its just one chapter I'm posting for today. Enjoy. 

-

-

-

Chapter 15: What say you, Oathbreakers? Kenshin and the Paths of the Dead

-  

Rohan, whether it was ready or not, whether they had few or many… was now getting ready for their greatest battle ever against the forces of Mordor that were marching towards Minas Tirith. At the camp of Dunharrow, the Rohirrim prepared to ride, trumpets rang from within the king's camp and were answered by many others far below. Men and horses milled about in preparation of the departure, dousing fires, tightening girths, looking to saddles and weapons, and caressing their steeds. All about, there was busy and strenuous activity.

Even King Théoden was prepared for war, whether the battle was hopeless or not, with his inspiration, drawn from the peril at Helm's Deep. He and Éomer came out of the king's tent, adorned in their respective armors, meeting Saito and Sanosuke right out front. As from Helm's Deep, Saito was wearing his headband from when he was with the Shinsengumi. And Sanosuke had worn his chain main shirt from Helm's deep, worn over with his white jacket with the 'bad' symbol branded on his back, and carried his new Zanbatou over his shoulder.

-

"Are you two ready to leave?" Théoden asked them.

"Ready as we'll ever be," answered Sanosuke.

"Sanosuke, are you sure you can handle that thing?" Théoden asked of Sanosuke, noticing the Zanbatou, "it doesn't look like something an ordinary man can handle."

"Yeah, sure I can," said Sanosuke, "I've been carrying one similar to this for a long time before I met Kenshin. Say, that reminds me…

"Saito," Sanosuke turned to Saito, "I heard that you and Legolas and Gimli were having a contest back at Helm's Deep. How about you and I have one at Gondor, to see how many of those creeps we knock down."

"Gee, with you holding that overgrown piece of steel," replied Saito, nonchalantly, "it seems that it rather gives you an unfair advantage."

"Heh," smirked Sanosuke, "that's the idea, Saito."

'…It takes more than brute strength to win a contest, Moron,' scoffed Saito in his thoughts.

"Come now, we must ride light and swift," said Théoden to Éomer, Saito, and Sanosuke as they mounted upon their horses, "it's a long road ahead and man and beast must reach the end with the strength to fight."

-

The king's company galloped upon their horses, looking down towards Merry, also adorned in armor, ready to mount on his pony, to go into battle.

-

But, the King went up to Merry and said, with much regret, "…little Hobbits do not belong in war, Master Meriadoc."

"All my friends are going to battle," Merry objected curtly, "I would be ashamed to be left behind!"

"It is a three-day gallop to Minas Tirith," explained Théoden, trying to reason with Merry, "and none of my riders can bear you as a burden."

"…I want to fight!" Merry debated firmly.

But Théoden only replied, "I will say no more."

"…Tough break," Saito added pitilessly to Merry while following after Éomer and Théoden upon their horses.

As Sanosuke was beginning to leave, Merry called to him, "Sanosuke! Sanosuke, please! Take me with you. Tie me onto your back, or let me hang from a stirrup, or something. But I would not have it said of me in song that I was left behind!"

"Sorry, squirt," replied Sanosuke, "the king's right. Its too dangerous."

"But--"

"No buts, Merry," Sanosuke resolved firmly, "you are staying behind this time, and that's final."

-

As Sanosuke said his final statements, Merry became filled with dissatisfaction, as he would not be going along in this battle.

-

"Hey, don't worry," Sanosuke said to Merry, with a smirk, "I'll tell you all about it, when we get back, okay."

Sanosuke then began to ride off as he finished, "…so just sit tight, we'll be fine. Trust me!"

-

-

However, Merry was still unhappy as he stood there silently in frustration, as more riders formed up and followed their king, not paying any attention to the Hobbit as they passed him by. But then… two mysterious armored and helmeted young riders, riding almost side by side, came barreling down near Merry…

And one of them grabbed Merry from behind… hoisting the Hobbit onto the horse, and into the saddle.

-

"…Ride with me," the rider spoke to Merry, in a feminine voice… one that Merry recognized.

"…My lady!" Merry murmured his exclamation as he smiled in understanding, for he recognized the rider's voice… as Éowyn.

"Hey Merry!" a voice called to Merry, as he looked at his side at the other rider.

"You didn't think I'd miss all the fun, did you?" the rider said to Merry… in Misao's voice.

"Misao!" Merry cried gleefully, knowing that at least he had two friends… who felt what he felt and smiled brightly as he was going with them into battle now.

However, it remained a secret to Théoden, Éomer, Saito, and Sanosuke as they rode beside the king for the 3-day ride to Minas Tirith.

"Form up! Move out!" Éomer sounded his commands to the Rohirrim, "form up! Move out!"

As more riders were gathering around Théoden, in seemingly endless ranks… the king cried out, moving to the head of the column, "ride! Ride now to Gondor!"

-

Théoden took the lead, with Éomer, Sanosuke, and Saito behind him, leading the whole Muster of Rohan, numbering only 6000, to do battle in Gondor…

Meanwhile, in Gondor…

The Orc troops, originating from Osgiliath, rapidly approached the city of Minas Tirith, marching across Pelennor Fields with siege towers and catapults in tow, being pushed by giant trolls.

The Orcs hollered cries of battle as they marched closer to the White City. Other giant trolls were beating their drums of war as they marched alongside the Orcs. With the overwhelming number of Orcs drawing near towards Minas Tirith… Gondor's end was at hand…

Upon a field outside of Kyoto, near Mt. Hiei…

A large group of Orcs, almost as overwhelming as the forces near Minas Tirith, gathered round the mountain, overseeing Kyoto with a malicious hunger to bring death and destruction to it. And from the air…

-

SCREEECHHHH!!!!!!

-

A wraith upon a fell beast swooped from the sky, landing in front of the Orcs, as he would be the one in charge of the assault in Kyoto. The Orc captain, Dothmákh, whose face was scarred upon the left side, with his left eye ripped out, as well as down the right cheek, tearing off some of his mouth, went up to his leader…

"Is all prepared?" asked the black captain, with a haunting ghostly voice like the Witch-King's.

"Yes, my Lord," Dothmákh replied humbly, yet grimly, "…the remainder our forces are stationed on the other side of the city, hiding amongst the trees. They will be waiting for the signal to move into the city, while we fight the rabble that will soon meet us in battle. We shall catch them off guard."

The scarred-faced, one-eyed commander then turned to Kyoto and viciously added, "…look at that city, a symbol for its people. They thought that they experienced fear in their recent, 'revolution'. Now… they will all experience fear… a fear, like they've never experienced before."

"Indeed," the black captain agreed with his malevolent subordinate, "…begin marching your troops!"

"Sound the horns!" Dothmákh ordered…

VVVVRRRROOOOOOOOOOMMMMMMMMMMMMMM MM!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

-

-

A whole blast of the Orc horns sounded in the air, loud enough to be heard and echoed… throughout the city of Kyoto as Radagast, Okina, Hiko, and the others at the Aoiya, joined by Elladan, Elrohir, and Halbarad looked out upon the city, awaiting the final battle. Yamagata, Glorfindel, and Kawaji stationed themselves near the entrance of the city, where they heard the loud horns of the Orcs pour into their very hearts and souls. The battle for Kyoto… was about to commence.

"…War is upon us now," said Radagast forebodingly, "…we must hope that Aragorn and Kenshin will succeed in convincing the army of the dead to help us."

"Of course, old man," added Hiko, "…that dumb apprentice had better not mess up."

"A-choo!" Kenshin sneezed, which made Aragorn, Legolas, and Gimli jump a bit nervously…

-

"Kenshin," said Aragorn, "…are you alright?"

"Yeah," Kenshin replied assuredly, "…it's probably just a simple allergy attack, that it was."

"Mind yourself then, laddie," cautioned Gimli, "this is hardly the place to be catching a death of cold!"

"Sorry," said Kenshin, sheepishly.

-

-

-

Aragorn, Kenshin, Gimli, and Legolas entered into the haunted Dwimorberg Mountain, fully aware of the dangers that lie in wait throughout the inner corridors of the accursed crag, and that there could be no turning back. Aragorn bore a metal torch in his hand, with Andúril in his other hand, taking the lead. Kenshin followed along with a stern look, having no weapons in hand, and kept Hope sheathed. Legolas had his bow ready in hand while Gimli kept his axe held high, stumbling about nervously, seeing nothing but the dim light of the torch. It was as if Gimli was pursued by a groping horror… that seemed always just about to seize him.

-

Aragorn turned to his side to a passageway, lowering the torch… with its light showing hundreds of skulls lying on the ground. The company moved onwards, seeing that they could not go that way…

-

-

"…What is it?" Gimli asked nervously, "what do you see?"

"I see shapes of men," answered Legolas, looking steadily in all directions, "…and of horses."

"Where?" inquired Gimli, with fear steadily growing upon him.

"Pale banners like shreds of cloud," elaborated Legolas forebodingly, sensing more spirits all around, "…spears rise… like winter-thickets through a shroud of mist…

"…The Dead are following… they have been summoned," Legolas said to the last… in a fixed expression, which made Gimli very edgy, turning about, raising his axe higher.

"The Dead…! Summoned? I knew that," Gimli relaxed himself, lowering his weapon, "heh, ah, very good."

-

Gimli then turned to see that everyone had moved on, discovering that he was alone, becoming nervous once more…

-

"Very good--Legolas!" Gimli hollered, running off to catch up to the others.

-

-

-

Moving further into the mountain… the companions wandered into a swirling fog… with ghastly, bony hands reaching up, clutching at them. Voices wailed from out of the chill darkness… a murmur of words in no tongue that had ever been heard before. All around them were the Dead. Legolas, Kenshin, and Aragorn easily passed through the bony mists that were hindering them…

-

-

Gimli saw one of the hands rise up in front of him… and blew a little at it, then puffed out a little harder, until it went away…

-

-

Another hand went up at Gimli… and the Dwarf blew even harder, then began to wave a fidgety hand, wanting the mist to go away… then more foggy hands came up at Gimli… as he was now blowing and waving his hands frantically in all directions around him…

-

-

-

The ghostly hands began to settle from the travelers… and Aragorn heard a noise from below him, taking a small peek… then snapped his head back up.

-

"What is it, Aragorn?" asked Kenshin.

"…Do not look down," replied Aragorn, in a small voice.

Gimli heard the creaking noise himself, stopping in his tracks as he curiously took a glance just below him…

-

-

And saw a pile of skulls, shrouded within the mists that seemed to cover the whole pathway. Closing his eyes… Gimli stood a moment… then took a small step, crushing some skulls underneath his feet…

-

The Dwarf winced, as each time he slowly continued to stumble on… his steps made more bones creak and break, filling him with great fright and apprehension…

-

-

Then began to increase his pace into a full sprint, cracking more bones of the dead, crawling like a wild beast and felt that he must find an ending and escape… or run back in madness to meet the following fear that he had, ever since he entered the mountain…

-

-

-

-

-

Kenshin, Aragorn, Gimli, and Legolas rushed further throughout the wide pathways… until they crossed over into a great, empty chamber hall, with no walls upon either side. Before the travelers… they saw a large necropolis built into the dark stony walls. To the other side… the travelers discovered a deep gorge, that seemingly lead into raw, pure darkness. The travelers looked about the chamber, arduously on guard, awaiting the unseen host that had been following them in the dark…

-

"…Who enters my domain?" A bone-chilling hollow voice called out from behind the travelers…

Kenshin and Aragorn turned behind them… as they saw a green ghostly light settling before the necropolis and slowly took the shape of a Man… the king of the dead, that Aragorn had seen in his vision. Aragorn and Kenshin faced the ghostly man with hardened expressions on their faces…

-

"…One who will have your allegiance," Aragorn answered firmly, stepping forward.

Legolas and Gimli gazed upon the dead king with the same fearless expressions that Aragorn and Kenshin had.

-

"The dead… do not suffer the living to pass," stated the king of the dead.

"You will suffer me," returned Aragorn fearlessly, nearly snarling.

Kenshin then added firmly, "we have no intentions of leaving, until we have assured your cooperation, that we do."

"HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAAHAAHAHAAA!!!!!!!!" the dead king let out a chilling, yet maniacal laughter… that sounded throughout the chamber…

-

Behind the four travelers…

A city of the dead appeared before them… letting out legions of the dead, all cursed by Isildur, over 3000 years ago, heading slowly towards the intruders who have trespassed upon their territory…

The sight was too terrible to behold for Gimli as he shifted about, with dread filling him, noticing the huge host of dead that was slowly surrounding him and the others. The travelers then turned back to the king of the dead…

"The way is shut," the dead king said to the intruders, reciting the inscriptions on the entrance into his mountain, "…it was made by those who are dead. And the dead, keep it…"

-

Suddenly… more of the king's undead soldiers appeared before him, stretching as far towards the entrance into the chamber, ensuring that the trespassers do not escape. The travelers now saw… that they were completely surrounded by the undead oathbreakers… who intended on killing them…

-

"The way is shut," the King of the Dead ended, as he, and his company slowly proceeded towards the intruders, "…now you must die."

Legolas tried to counter their attack as he drew his bow, and let fly an arrow at the king's head. But… the arrow went harmlessly through his head as if through thin air, and the king paid it no mind. Gimli grimaced as he raised his axe at the ghost warriors.

"Sir Legolas, since these people are dead," said Kenshin, stating the obvious, "it would've been completely useless for your arrows to have any affect on them, that it would."

"Thanks for telling me, Kenshin," replied Legolas, sarcastically.

But despite the Elf's anxieties, Aragorn turned to the king of the dead and firmly commanded, "I summon you, to fulfill you oath!"

"None, but the king of Gondor, may command me," the dead king said, scoffing Aragorn's proclamation…

-

-

In response… Aragorn lifted Andúril in salute to prepare for the oath breaking king's attack…

-

The King of the Dead began to swing his ghostly blade at Aragorn… but Aragorn easily parried it with the re-forged sword, surprising the dead king as he gazed upon it in recognition…

-

"That line was broken!" the dead king cried in surprise.

Aragorn grabbed the ghost by the neck, and placed the kingly blade at his neck as he gritted fiercely, "it has been remade."

-

Aragorn then pushed the dead king away, contemptuously. The oathbreakers made no attempt to proceed towards the trespassers as they had received the message that they should not try and kill Aragorn.

-

"I guess this means that we have their full attention, Aragorn," said Kenshin.

"…Indeed we do, Kenshin," Aragorn replied, then addressed to the Oathbreakers; "…it is a dark time for Gondor, for its need is dire once more. But it is not only I that call upon you for assistance…"

Aragorn then gestured an arm at Kenshin and added, "…but this man here, Kenshin Himura, who comes from another world, that now faces the overwhelming forces of Mordor as Gondor does.

"…Fight for us, fight for our worlds… and regain your honor, twice over."

-

With that… Aragorn held up Andúril, and started moving through the dead host.

"…What say you?" Aragorn challenged them…

-

The heir of Elendil continued moving through the host of Oathbreakers as the sight of Andúril, the blade that was once Narsil… stirred them as they shuffled about, looking uncertain. Kenshin, Legolas, and Gimli waited for long moments, for the Oathbreakers to give their answer to Aragorn…

-

"…What say you?" Aragorn repeated his challenge…

"…But our oath was to come to Gondor's aid," the dead king responded, with a grim smile, "we have no errand for another world's problems."

"Ah, you waste your time Aragorn!" said Gimli, gruffly, "they had no honor in life, they have none now in death."

"If this is true," intoned Kenshin, "then we have made a mistake… and you should kill us right now."

"Kenshin," gasped Legolas.

"Then, you will accept death?" one of the dead solders said as he approached Kenshin…

"I haven't finished talking," Kenshin quickly snapped at the dead soldier, "so would you please be quiet."

-

The dead soldier stirred at Kenshin as he looked at his eyes, eyes that were piercing enough to scare a living soul. The rest of the dead host sensed Kenshin's spirits as well.

"…Does anyone else have anything to say," said Kenshin, as he began moving about the dead, also stirring them up, "other than, you have no oath to my world?"

The Oathbreakers began to stand away from Kenshin as they all began to fear him…

-

"Go ahead and kill us if it pleases you," Kenshin snarled at the Oathbreakers, with a hardened expression, "the oath that you made wasn't just to come to the aid of Gondor… but to fight against Sauron in general, was it not? Sauron is now stretching his hand upon my world, and you have the arrogance to say that is of no importance to you!

"Long ago," Kenshin continued harshly, "you people decided to flee like cowards into your halls, and as a result… you all became the pitiless beings that you are now. You put this curse upon yourselves more than Isildur ever did. You're cursing yourselves even more by refusing to help my world!"

-

Not wanting to say a word… the dead army kept silent. Aragorn silently observed and admired Kenshin's fearless statements to the Oathbreakers.

"Kenshin can even make the dead afraid of him," said Gimli, happily, "he's more surprising than we ever thought possible, Legolas."

"Indeed," agreed Legolas, with a smile, "…if Kenshin can stir up the dead, I can certainly see why, in his world, that he was called, Battousai the Manslayer."

-

Kenshin sadly went on, "…I have friends back in my world, friends who support me… even in evil times. I don't want anything to happen to them. In some ways, perhaps many ways… I am just as cursed as the rest of you. I know too well what it's like... not being able to fulfill your vows, letting down the people you swore to protect.

"…I've lived with my curse for 10 years, that I have. No one should be cursed like that… even people without honor, like you. You needn't have to live with this curse any longer than you have. 3000 years is quite long enough. Are you all going to squander this one chance…?

"…Or are you going to make amends for your mistakes… and finally find some peace," finished Kenshin.

-

After Kenshin finished saying his peace, Aragorn turned to the dead king, pointing his sword at him and said, "…you said so yourself… that none but the King of Gondor may command you… well I am he. I am Isildur's heir. I am in fact… the last of the line of Elendil."

Aragorn then moved about the dead again, waving Andúril as he continued, "if you spill my blood here and now, you will continue to live with this curse, even until the ending of this world.

"…Fight for me… fight for Kenshin. Your king commands it. Rid our worlds of the servants of Sauron, and I will hold your oaths fulfilled… I swear it!" Aragorn finished resolutely.

The Oathbreakers kept silent before Aragorn, as they all took a few moments to think. They all knew that he was telling the truth about being Isildur's heir.

The King of the Dead paused a moment before he replied, "…even if we accepted… how would we get to this other world? We wouldn't have the means."

"But we do," said Aragorn, "the wizards Gandalf the White and Radagast the Brown can open the way for you into Kenshin's world. Gandalf is now at Minas Tirith, trying to fend off Mordor's forces. Radagast is in Kenshin's world to help the people defend their world against the Dark Lord."

Aragorn then raised his sword again and said with conviction, "…the hour is come at last, what say you…?

"…Will you fight for your king? Will you fight for Kenshin's world? Will you kill us…?"

Kenshin, Legolas, and Gimli stood in silence once more as the King of the Dead and the Oathbreakers stood, with hardened faces at the heir of Elendil…

"…WHAT SAY YOU!" Aragorn hollered firmly in a commanding voice… as silence followed…

-

"Heh, heh…. HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAAHAAHAHAAA!!!!!!!!" The dead king began snickering… then began laughing maniacally again… as the dead army began to move away from Aragorn and the others… 

"Where are you going?" Kenshin said incredulously, "please don't leave! Our worlds desperately need your help, that they do!"

"You have my word!" Aragorn called out pleadingly to the fleeing shadow host, "fight! Fight for our worlds, and I will release you from this living death! What say you…?"

-

But the army kept backing away, unheeding Aragorn's call… until they finally disappeared into the walls of the mountain.

-

-

"STAND, YOU TRAITORS!" Gimli barked fiercely at the Oathbreakers' apparent refusal… then…

-

-

The ground began to tremble slightly… as the chamber rocked, like it was about to cave in around the travelers. Gimli looked down…

-

Seeing that skulls were beginning to fall and roll along the ground, toppling on top of each other. Aragorn raised his sword, as Kenshin laid a hand on his, preparing for the worst…

-

The travelers then looked up at the structure delved into the walls…

-

-

CRAAAACKKKKKLLLLLLEEEEE!!!!!!!!!!!!

-

-

Which began to fall apart, with hundreds… perhaps thousands of skulls bursting out of the walls. Kenshin then heard something above him, as he looked up…

-

-

And saw dozens of boulders falling down from the roof towards him and the others….

-

-

-

-

-

-

Disclaimer: I do not own Rurouni Kenshin or Lord of the Rings. RK is the property of Nobuhiro Watsuki and Lord of the Rings is the property of Professor J. R. R. Tolkien

-

A/n: one of my reviewers said that I wasn't Scheherezadie, or something. I know I don't come close, but I'm just a man and nobody else, who tries to do the best that he possibly could. And I certainly hope you like how I portrayed Kenshin presenting his statements to the Dead army.

P.S.: Are you all going to see the final Star Wars film, Revenge of the Sith? I will, despite the obvious tragic ending it will have, and not to mention, it’s the first and only of the films to be rated PG-13.

-

Please read and review, and the action comes in the next chapters, so stay tuned. Bye.

-

-