D. N. Angel Fan Fiction / Sailor Moon Fan Fiction ❯ Angelic Love Of Past ❯ The Eternal Mark ( Chapter 2 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]


SailorStar9: Figured I needed to get this chapter out before you guys hunt me down and kill me. So this is Chapter 2. Read and review.
Disclaimers: Nothing here is mine, well, except the plot and the pairing.
Chapter 2: The Eternal Mark

The episode opens with Daisuke climbing to an abandoned building.
“It's right above here.” Daisuke remarked, after he reached the peak of the cliff. “It collapsed about four or five years ago. It has been like that ever since.”
In his mind, Dark mused, “Hmmm…”
Reaching into a window, Daisuke unlatched the locked window and entered.
“It's amazing don't you think?” he asked his counter-part as he walked down the staircase. “I mean when people no longer live in a house anymore, it crumbles down as if lost its spirit or something.”
“And instead, some ghosts may be living inside now.” Dark joked.
“Cut it out! Stop scaring me.” Daisuke protested.
After some digging, he found what he was looking for, “There it is, the `Eternal Mark'.”
“Yeah, it almost got buried in the mud eternally too.” Dark commented. “Looks like it isn't broken.”
“I think it's a very valuable artifact.” Daisuke noted, as he took his handkerchief and started wiping the statue. “It has to be taken off well.”
“Why don't you just take it away right now?” Dark asked.
“I can't do that.” Daisuke answered. “A least let me get the dirt off the letters.”
“See, it's brand new now.” He remarked, after wiping it clean.
“That's good.” Dark noted. “Now we'll just have to go back and send out the advance notice.”
“You must've been lonely all this time. I'm going to save you from this place so just wait a little longer.” Daisuke told the statue.

“I'll be going now!” Daisuke exclaimed as he ran out of the door the next morning.
“Be careful!” his mother called out.
“I slept too much because of last night's job.” Daisuke mused as he rushed down the streets to catch his train.
“Good morning.” He greeted the grocer.
“Yo, aren't you a bit late?” the grocer inquired.
“That's why I'm in a hurry.” Daisuke replied.

“Marriage?” Risa echoed in the classroom.
“Yup.” Her classmate replied. “What kind of environment would you live in if you got married?”
“That's such a long way from now.” Riku remarked.
“You can't say that.” The classmate replied. “Just another two years and we will be able to get married.”
“As long as I marry Dark-san, I don't care what kind of environment I'll be in.” Risa replied.
“You're right.” Another student agreed.
“I know, I know…” the first student who started the conversation answered.
“But thinking realistically, I'd like to have a big family with lots of kids and live a lively kind of life.” The other student replied. “Hey, how about you Riku?”
“Eh, I… I…” Riku stammered.
“I don't know actually.” She replied.
“How about you, Mizuno?” the other student asked the blue-haired girl sitting two tables across them.
Ami looked up from her book.
“Me?” she asked.
The four girls nodded.
“For me, love is something I could never have. It is an obstacle, an obstacle that can never be allowed.” Ami replied simply before she turned back to her book.
“Okay, she's weird.” Risa remarked.
“Big news people!” Saehara announced as he entered the classroom. “I got exclusive info on Dark.”
“If you meant he's going to steal the `Eternal Mark' Saehara, then your news is outdated.” Ami informed him.
Saehara tsked, “Not only that, amazingly this time the police have no plans on any security.”
“How come?” Risa asked.
“The top officers decided so.” Saehara answered. “Even the owners of the art-piece have agreed. That's why they haven't said anything to the media.”
“But isn't that strange?” Risa inquired.
“Yeah.” Saehara agreed. “It's like they don't care.”
“Hey Saehara.” Ami spoke.
“Yeah?” Saehara asked.
“The property had been destroyed by a landslide and had been left pretty much untouched right?” Ami asked.
“Yeah.” Saehara nodded.
“Then the police might believe it wasn't worth investigating.” Ami reasoned.
“You know, you could be right.” Saehara nodded vigorously.
Just then, the school bell rang and Daisuke barely made it to class.
“I made it in time.” The red-haired boy panted in relief as he burst into class.

During lunchtime, Saehara was called up to the clock tower by Risa.
“What is it Harada-imouto?” the reporter asked.
“Hey, you haven't told anyone in school about the time and location on the advance notice right?” Risa asked.
“No, not yet.” Saehara replied.
“Okay good. You controlled yourself.” Risa remarked. “If the police aren't coming, I'll be able to have a decent conversation with Dark-san.”
“Hold it!” Saehara objected. “I want to have a scoop of it too. Also an exclusive interview. This'll be the first thing on tomorrow's…”
Rise stopped his ranting, “I know, you'll come with me. It'll make me more assured if you come.”
“Ah…” Saehara nodded mutely.
“So, when and where?” Risa pressed.

Meanwhile, on the school rooftop, Ami rested her arms against the railing and sighed.
“Are you all right?” Hiwatari asked.
Ami raised a brow at him and asked, “Is this Hiwatari Satoshi or Krad talking?”
Hiwatari let out a small smile, “Both I suppose.”
“If you ignore the fact that one huge chuck of Anhara's memories came to me last night and I'm still bruising from last night's battle, then yes, I'm alright.” Ami retorted.
“I thought Anhara's a healer.” Hiwatari commented, taking his place beside her.
“She is a healer.” Ami affirmed. “But there's one person she can't heal; herself.”
Hiwatari nodded silently.
“You did it on purpose didn't you?” Ami asked suddenly.
Hiwatari blinked.
“You released the `Towa no Shirube' on purpose, didn't you?” she clarified.
Hiwatari turned to look sharply at her.
“How did you know?” he demanded.
“Both the ancient Mercurians and Neptunians were well-known for their artistic achievements. The Hikaris were descended from one of the best Mercurian artists.” Ami explained. “That was one of the very first things I remembered.”
Looking up to the sky, she added, “It's only a matter of time before all three of us converged into one.”
“Three?” Hiwatari echoed.
Ami nodded, “Princess Anhara, Millennial Sailor Mercury and Mizuno Ami.”
“I can sense the Moon Princess in Juuban.” She added. “Once I settled my unfinished business here, I have to return to her side.”
“Was that what you meant in class earlier?” Hiwatari asked. “About love being an obstacle?”
Ami nodded and turned to him, “Who do you think was powerful enough to seal both Dark and Krad into the Dark Wings? No, it wasn't Queen Selenity, but the Princess; by using the Ginzuishou.”
“Hold on.” Hiwatari spoke. “From what Krad told me, didn't the Ginzuishou belong to the Queen?”
“Yes, it belonged to the Queen, but that doesn't mean the Princess couldn't use it.” Ami clarified.
“But why, didn't she have Endymion?” Hiwatari asked.
“Hiwatari-san, do you know why greed is one of the seven sins?” Ami asked.
“Greed entails acquiring material possessions at the expense of the welfare of others.” She answered her own question. “She may be the Princess the Senshi was to protect, but she was still a little girl, a child who never grew up. Ever since she was born, she always had what she wanted. Having being brought up under such a notion, she turned greedy. Even though she was betrothed to Endymion, Serenity wasn't satisfied with that, she wanted more; and who better than the lovers of the other Senshi. She placed a love spell on the lovers of the other three Guardian Senshi, making them turn their backs on the girls using the Ginzuishou. She had tried using the crystal to make Krad and Dark fall in love with her, but their combined magics was too strong for the Ginzuishou and it backfired on her. Incensed, she then used the crystal to seal both Krad and Dark into the Dark Wings.”
Hiwatari nodded.
“Inquisitive today aren't you?” Ami teased.
Hiwatari turned away to hide his blush.
“It hurts doesn't it?” Ami suddenly posted a question.
Hiwatari's blush subsided as he looked at her.
“When you turn into him.” Ami clarified.
“I might not be me when Anhara takes over but I'm still aware of what's happening.” She explained.
“Here.” She tossed the light blue-haired teen something. “Anhara said this would help.”
That said, she left the rooftop as Hiwatari looked down at the small diamond-shaped sapphire in his palm.

Meanwhile, Daisuke was sitting on a bench under the shade of a tree.
Sending out an advance notice as usual and going out to steal it as usual. I've sure become used to the life style of a phantom thief. He mused.
“That's sure a lot of sunshine.” Riku broke his thoughts.
“You knew I was here?” Daisuke asked the older Harada.
Riku nodded.
“It's so beautiful.” Daisuke remarked.

That evening, Risa and Saehara sneaked into the abandoned house.
“Are you sure it's here?” Risa asked.
“It's just that… exactly where is the problem.” Saehara replied.
“Let's look for it.” Risa prompted.
“The most probable place is…” Saehara commented as he dusted off the dust from the empty picture frame on the wall. “The lobby I guess.”
“Hmmm….” He mused aloud. “This way.”
“Ah, isn't it that thing?” Risa asked, noticing the statue as the two reached the lobby.
“Seems like it.” Saehara noted.
“Eien no hyou?” he echoed, reading the sign. “What an odd title.”
“I think its read `Towa no Shirube'.” Risa corrected.
“Eh? Oh really?” Saehara blinked.
“It's weird that this is the only thing that's rather nice looking amongst everything else.” Risa remarked.
“I guess.” Saehara remarked.
“And this black stone.” Risa noted, her attention turned to the diamond-shaped crystal on the bird's chest. “It has an eerie feeling.”
“I…” Hiwatari interrupted them.
The two turned to see him leaning against a wall.
“Put it there.” Hiwatari replied.
“Hiwatari-kun!' Risa gasped.
“Why are you here?” Saehara asked.
“Who cares about that, you guys...” Hiwatari replied.
He held back a gasp before adding, “Should leave this place fast.”
“Dark's going to be here soon.” He told them. “And…”
He did not manage to get his sentence out before doubling over in pain.
“Hiwatari?” Saehara inquired.
“Don't!” Hiwatari told his other self. “Leave this to me.”
“Hiwatari-kun!' Risa called out.
“Don't hurt…” Hiwatari muttered. “Those two…”
His warning was unheeded as a pair of white angel wings grew from his back, a bright blue aura appearing under him as he transformed.
“Satoshi!” Ami screamed, rushing to the scene.
“Krad…” she gasped as the white angel appeared.
“No way…” Risa gaped. “A White Dark-san?”
“Pleased to meet you, my lady.” Krad greeted the pair. “My name is Krad.”
Pulling out a white feather, he added, “As a greeting gift, here.”
The feather burnt brightly and both Saehara and Risa fainted on the ground.
“You are one step late, Dark Mousy.” Krad turned his head to the other half of the Dark Wings.
“What did you do to them, Krad?” Dark demanded.
“Just asked them to take a little nap.” Krad replied. “Now there's no one to interfere with us anymore.”
Pulling out a white feather, he tossed it into the black diamond embedded on the Eternal Mark.
Dark's Rutile glowed in response as he too threw a black feather in to the jewel.
“What?” Dark gasped.
“Shit!” Krad gaped, realizing what was about to happen.
“Millennial Mercury Crystal Power, Make Up!” Ami tossed her henshin pen in the air and shouted out her henshin phase
The outflow of magic quickly consumed the two angels.
“Daisuke!” Dark managed a shout to warn his partner.

Some time later, Daisuke woke up to Hiwatari calling him.
“Ouch!” Daisuke muttered.
“I'm sorry, this wasn't supposed to happen.” Hiwatari apologized. “I didn't mean to get Harada-san and Saehara involved.”
“Harada-san! Saehara!” Daisuke gasped, getting up.
“They lost their consciousness.” Hiwatari replied.
“Huh?” Daisuke blinked.
“In order to seal off Dark's power, I used the Ore of Seela.” Hiwatari explained.
“Seela?” Daisuke echoed.
“That black stone.” Hiwatari clarified. “It has good affinity with the Eternal Mark so it should've worked fine. If only Krad didn't come out…”
“Where's Mizuno-san?” Daisuke suddenly blinked as he looked around for the girl.
“Over there.” Hiwatari nodded his head over at the unconscious girl. “She managed to shield Harada-san and Saehara with her magic, but at a cost; her consciousness.”
Hiwatari winced, clutching his injured shoulder.
“Are you alright?” Daisuke asked.
“I'll be alright.” Hiwatari assured him. “But because of Krad's additional powers, Dark's consciousness is sealed off in that stone.”
“Dark's?” Daisuke echoed.
“Find Seela and destroy it.” Hiwatari advised. “I can't lend you any more power. You have to do this on your own.”
“Where's Seela?” Daisuke asked.
“The Eternal Mark should be able to tell you that.” Hiwatari replied and stood up.
“Hiwatari-kun.” Daisuke called out.
“If you don't hurry, you may never be able to retrieve them.” Hiwatari told him and he walked out.

Left alone with the Eternal Mark now, Daisuke stood before the statue.
“I beg you, Eternal Mark, plead my some power.” He pleaded. “I want to save my other self. Tell me what I should do.”
The Eternal Mark glowed a bright purple before bursting into full light and Towa appeared in her human form.
“Eternal Mark-san?” Daisuke blinked.
“Hi!” the ever-genki Towa greeted him. “Sorry for keeping you waiting.”
“Ah finally I meet you!” Towa beamed as the gaping Daisuke. “Geez, I was getting so irritated back there. There's a time frame in which I can change into this form, you know.”
“So, you're Eternal Mark-san?” Daisuke inquired.
“That's right!” Towa beamed. “But you can call me Towa-chan.”
“Towa-san.” Daisuke called.
“Towa-chan.” Towa corrected. “Please use the -chan at the end. If it's just Towa, it makes me sound like an old hag, don't you think? I'm a young lady who's barely a hundred years old, you know!”
A weird person popped out. Daisuke thought.
“Ah, you just thought I was weird right?” Towa accused.
“Um no I didn't.” Daisuke protested.
“Um, I need to…” he added.
“I know.” Towa noted. “We need to find that black stone right?”
“I heard I don't have much time left.” Daisuke told her.
“That's correct.” Towa agreed. “We have to trace it down fast. However there are some conditions.”
“Conditions?” Daisuke echoed.
“Firstly you have to take me out of this place afterwards.” Towa answered. “Secondly, you have to come back here on your own.”
“I understand.” Daisuke nodded. “I was going to steal you out and take good care of you anyway. After I retrieve Dark's power, I'll be able to come back on my own.”
“Let's hurry, Towa-chan.” He urged.
“Yes!” Towa beamed. “Then this is a one-way trip, I'll be your `mark', Tamer Daisuke.”
Holding his arm, she unleashed her power, transporting them both into the future.
“This is?” Daisuke looked around at his new surroundings. “I think I've seen this place somewhere.”
Turning around, he added, “Towa-chan?”
“I'm over here, Niwa Daisuke!” Towa's voice sounded.
“Where's here?” Daisuke asked.
“Ahh!” Towa suddenly screamed. “Don't step on me!”
Daisuke frantically looked down, only to find Towa had turned into a chubby pink bird.
“Towa-chan?” Daisuke blinked. “Why are you in that form?”
“This is the very, very best I can do now.” Towa replied, as she hopped on Daisuke's hand. “And you'd only be able to move well enough for about one hour, I think.”
“I understand.” Daisuke nodded. “So do you know where the stone is?”
“No, but it must be somewhere nearby.” Towa replied. “I can feel it. Please follow me.”
“Okay.” Daisuke nodded and released Towa.
The bird flew off and Daisuke went after her.
However, after turning a corner, he rested against the wall.
“What… what is this?” he asked. “My body feels so heavy. Are you sure I'll be able to maintain this for an hour?”
“Damn it.” He cursed silently before running off to catch up with Towa.
This is strange. He wondered as he ran past a café. I think I've seen this city before. But there's something weird about it.
“We're getting close!” Towa informed him.
“There it is!” she announced, flying past the wind vanes.
“Isn't this the fountain park?” Daisuke inquired as he ran up the slope.
“There it is!” Towa exclaimed, noticing the black crystal floating on the water.
Finally reaching his destination, Daisuke panted as he collapsed against a stone stab.
“Hurry! Hurry!” Towa urged.
Daisuke barely managed to get up.
“Forgot this, forgot this.” A young boy commented as he ran forward to retrieve his skateboard.
As he turned to go, his attention was caught by the black jewel.
“No, that's…!” Towa exclaimed in horror.
Reaching into the foundation, the boy took the crystal.
“Sorry, that thing belongs to me. It's something important. Please give it back.” Daisuke approached the boy.
The boy looked at him, then the crystal in his hand.
“No!” he retorted and ran off.
“Wait! Listen to me!” Daisuke called out.
“My body…” he gasped as he fell over.
“Calm down, we can catch up.” Towa assured him.
Pushing himself up, Daisuke went after the boy who was fleeing on his skateboard.
My body's not moving. Dark, run along with me. Even if it's just your feelings. Daisuke panted as he ran down the street. Towa had flown ahead of him.
Towa flew after the boy as he zigzagged across the stores.
“Hey, don't skate so fast!” the grocer called out.
“Dad, where do I put this?” a voice asked as Daisuke ran past a shop.
“Ah, just leave it over there.” The father replied.
“That way!” Towa announced as she flew past Daisuke.
“That's towards my house.” Daisuke realized the direction he was heading.
Outside the Niwa household, Daisuke stopped.
“Dai-chan.” The unmistakable voice of Niwa Emiko sounded from the house.
“What Grandma?” the boy asked.
“Don't call me grandma, call me Emiko-san.” Emiko scolded. “Take your shoes off and place them neatly.”
“Okay.” The boy replied.
“See, you left this lying around again.” Emiko rebuked as she opened the door.
Then, she turned around and saw Daisuke standing a few meters away.
For a few moments, both mother and son stared at each other.
“Sorry grandma, I'll do it now.” The boy commented as he went out.
He stopped short upon seeing Daisuke and hid behind his grandmother.
“Um…” Daisuke began.
“That kid picked up something very important of mine.” He told Emiko.
“It's mine!” the boy retorted.
“Daiichi, what did you pick up?” Emiko asked her grandson.
Reaching into his pocket, Daiichi showed the crystal to his grandmother.
“Ahh, this is…” Emiko gasped, realizing what it was.
Daisuke walked forward, “If I don't bring it back with me, I won't be able to save important friends of mine.”
“Give it back to him.” Emiko told her grandson.
“But…” Daiichi protested.
“He won't lie to you.” Emiko reassured him. “Now come on.”
Daiichi nodded and walked towards Daisuke and placed the crystal into his open palm.
Daisuke knelt down and clasped his future son's hands, “Thanks. I won't forget this.”
“Shouldn't you be going now?” Emiko asked,
“I'm sorry.” Daisuke looked up. “I don't have much time, please excuse me.”
“The fact that this child is here means you'll make it back safely.” Emiko told him.
“Yup.” Daisuke nodded.
As he walked back, Daisuke heard a woman call out, “Daiichi!”
“What Momma?” Daiichi asked,
“Towa-chan, this is…” Daisuke asked.
“The future.” Towa replied. “I think it's about twenty years into the future. Now my role as `mark' is over. Please destroy the stone quickly.”
Daisuke immediately smashed the crystal with a stone. A split second later, a burst of white blue light shot out of the demolished stone and surged up into the sky.
“I did it, Towa.” Daisuke turned to the bird.
“Towa-chan!' he gasped as the bird turned back into its human form and Towa lay unconscious on the floor.
“Towa-chan!” Daisuke tried to shake her awake. “Hang in there, Towa-chan.”
“I'm sorry.” Towa let out a weak smile. “Looks like I've used up all my strength. I can't fly anymore.”
Daisuke gasped when he realized what she meant, “So that's what you meant by `one-way trip'?”
“Yes, looks like you found out.” Towa opened her eyes weakly.
“I'm taking you with me.” Daisuke announced. “I promised you that.”
“You said I was a valuable artifact; that made me very happy. That's why I'm fortunate to have been able to serve you.” Towa remarked feebly.
Unable to control his tears anymore, Daisuke screamed out, “Come out Dark!”
“You called?” Dark's cocky voice sounded. “My name?”
“You're slow! Call my name faster.” He scolded as Daisuke transformed into his other self.
“Dark, Towa-chan…” Daisuke told his counterpart. “She pushed herself too hard and kept enduring it and I already promised to bring her back.”
“I know.” Dark told his other half. “She used up all her strength right? Geez, always calling me when it's almost too late.”
“Whoa Dark!” Daisuke protested inside his head as he saw his other self bent down to kiss the unconscious girl.
“I'm trying to save a life here.” Dark chided as he kissed her. “Saving a life you know?”
“Are you awake, Princess Towa?” Dark asked cheekily.
“Dark-sama!” Towa's eyes widened when she realized who are holding her.
“Wow, you know me?” Dark was impressed as Towa blushed deeply.
“Of course!” Towa beamed, her eyes sparkling. “In our world, you're like an idol!”
“Hey, don't get too excited.” Dark reminded her.
That said, Towa turned into her bird form.
“You're an interesting little fellow.” Dark commented as he picked up the weakened Towa before she fell.
“I only gave you a bit of my powers so don't push yourself too hard.” He added, putting her on his head.
“Now, let's go home.” He announced, spreading his wings and took off into the sky, transporting back into the past.

Back in the past, Ami's comatose body glowed a white blue as her power returned to her.
“This is…” she wondered, before everything that had occurred came back to her.
Turning her attention back to her two still unconscious classmates, Ami transformed into her Senshi form and cast a memory-erasing spell on them. Turning back into her human form, she walked out of the demolished building.
Once she stepped out of the door, she was surprised to find Hiwatari leaning against the gate.
“I see you're awake.” He noted. “I suppose that means Niwa was successful.”
“I suppose so.” Ami remarked as she looked up at the night sky.
“A full moon huh?” she muttered.

Sometime later, Riku and Saehara woke up, having no recollection of seeing Hiwatari turn into Krad.
“Geez, what kind of scoop was that?” Riku chided Saehara once they were outside. “Nothing happened at all! There was no such art piece as the Eternal Mark. You and you lousy joke material.”
She snorted and walked back home.
“That's weird.” Saehara was puzzled. “This info should've been accurate.”
“Don't tell this to anyone huh?” Riku warned as the two walked back home. “Also, you're giving me your dessert tomorrow.”
“Awww, come on.” Saehara whined.

“Hey, did they really forget about everything?” Daisuke asked his counterpart as Dark stood on the roof, watching the pair walk off. “About Hiwatari-kun and Krad?”
“Yeah.” Dark replied. “Knowing Anhara like I do, she would most probably erase their memory. It's alright.”
“Well, you pushed yourself a bit too much.” He scolded his other self. “So Daisuke, a part of your memory may have been affected too.”
“It's okay, if it's for everyone's sake…” Daisuke waved it off.
“Anyway, the Eternal Mark has been successfully taken.” Dark commented as he flew off in a flurry of black feathers.
“Please take care of me from now on.” Towa remarked from on top of Dark's head.

Leaning against the wall at the Fountain Park, Hiwatari looked up at Dark's silhouette.
So you're back huh Dark? He mused.
“You shouldn't be surprised.” Ami remarked beside him. “Given her size, Towa must've expanded her energy helping Niwa. It's only a matter of time before Niwa called him out.”
“You do have a point.” Hiwatari noted and the two walked off.

The next day, Daisuke was sitting under the tree as before.
“What is this feeling?” He mused. “It seems that something important… what was it? Do you know With?”
The rabbit-like creature poked its head out from the bush in front of him and looked confusedly at him.

SailorStar9: Wow, that's long. Read and review people!