D. N. Angel Fan Fiction ❯ Jaded Chain ❯ Chapter 2

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Series: D.N.Angel

Pairing: Satoshi/Daisuke

Rating: PG-13

Spoilers: AU. Very AU.

Jaded Chain

Chapter Two

ConciergeriePrison, France

24th January 1793

The little scalawag tipped its quizzical eyes on the navy textile of the threadbare quilt, seemingly losing interest in the little leech that scampered away and into the cracked holes of the concrete walls. Its glassy eyes fixed on its new goal, its little paws slunk leisurely but steadily towards it, quickly stealing a look around for any obstacles in its path. The grimy rat let out a tiny and satisfied titter as it made a mad dash towards the quilt...

Satoshi had already seen it coming. He removed a battered shoe and held it high in the air, holding his breath as the little vermin drew closer. When it reached his quilt and actually started to gnaw on the fibers, Satoshi saw red and hurled the shoe at it with as much force as he could. The shoe whizzed passed the startled animal and made a hard thwack on the walls - it didn't hit the animal, much to Satoshi's dismay, but at least the result was just as desired. It freed out a frightened squeak, scuttling off to one of the bigger outlets of the prison walls. Each passing day, those little pests would crawl out of their holes and attack whatever they could get their hands on. If not today, then the next day, and so on, a fact that peeved him to no end.

With each passing minute, Satoshi kept himself busy. He thought up questions with answers that were primarily grueling to begin with, exercised his body until it surrendered to exhaustion, and played mental chess with his adjudicators. They were the kings; he was the pawn. This was a game he couldn't win no matter what tactics he assumed, he knew - they checkmated him, just like how they barricaded him from the right to live. He deliberately avoided mulling over the things he could've said and done prior to his arrest, and the future he could've led had he not been in the midst of the revolution. He was here, in prison, waiting for the next morning rays to shine through his caged windows and mark his execution.

Execution... this was a word from one of his textbooks that he had always taken for granted, until the bitter slap of reality forced him to determine the appalling significance of that particular word. Execution... when he first laid eyes on a mother and child shoved onto the guillotine and saw their blood flow alongside thousands of others. Execution... when he thought about how pathetic the woman looked when she sang Dona Nobis Pacem to her dead child.

Pathetic... and admittedly heart-wrenching.

At last, he collapsed, drenched with sweat. He finally allowed himself to think of the twins - who were probably at the other end of the world by now - and smiled somberly at the bright futures awaiting them. Satoshi's brows furrowed in distaste. What was this strange, unpleasant sensation that he was feeling? Satoshi pondered over this for a moment, before it finally clicked into place like a missing piece to a puzzle. His lips curled in amusement. This was jealousy that pierced into his heart like a needle - such a foreign emotion this was, utterly peculiar and at the same time, fascinating. To think he had gotten worked up over something that trifling...

An hour had passed, and he was still staring perplexedly into space, his slim hands hugging his knees to his chest as he sat on his cot. Through the bars of the windows, the sky was as black as night, a sight that slightly chilled him to the bone: he used to study the stars back home... Nearby, a shrill cry echoed throughout the prison chambers, and then, the tremendous clank of the gateways with a sound of finality. Although Satoshi did none of that when he became a prisoner, he did balk at the conditions in the Conciergerie that he was going to settle in. He'd been a fool to assume that he could hold himself well against the grave circumstances. His first night here had been the worst he had ever experienced. Back home, when his body grew cold and stiff during a wintry night, his guardian, Lady Pauline, would light up the hearth, heat some bricks and tucked them under his bed. He found the sensation to be surprisingly pleasing, until it gradually wore off and left him trying to keep that warmth by curling himself in that same spot. Here, however, he very nearly died from the cold. Coincidentally, a warden had taken pity on him and diffidently offered a coverlet that seemed more fitted for a mangy dog - but he needed all the warmth he could acquire. Unfortunately, he wasn't aware that convenient possessions didn't come for free.

In the end, Satoshi had to snip off locks of his hair in exchange. For some reason, the warden took an intense liking to his hair. A splendidly fair color, the man had grudgingly stated.

Satoshi was beginning to doze off until his ears registered the sounds of... footsteps? Satoshi quickly whipped back to defensive mode, jumping to his feet and remained stiffly still as he eyed the cell doors. How could he have missed it? They were drawing closer and closer, but it couldn't be - it was highly doubtful that he could have visitors at this time of the night. The twins weren't in France anymore, and Louis, Pauline's spouse, was probably drinking himself to oblivion, a customary habit that Satoshi had grown used to. He didn't even want to think about Daisuke and his penchant for adventures. Knowing him, he would probably view this as a thrilling escapade and... How absurd, Satoshi quickly decided. Nobody could be that much of a fool and think they could get away with it. Even though logic was at its most useless where Daisuke was concerned, Satoshi liked to think that there was probably still some shred of common sense trapped somewhere inside Daisuke Niwa's obscure mind.

Satoshi relaxed just the slightest bit - and saw Daisuke's rosy face peering curiously at him through the barred doors.


For a long second, silence hung between them heavily.

"Hello, Satoshi," the runt finally piped, having even the gall to wave. Satoshi's mouth opened and closed like a fish, frantically trying to think of something to say and pull his mind together. Daisuke... here? For a full moment, Satoshi could do nothing but stand stock-still, stunned speechless and unsure whether he would remain like this or to take up on his promise - strangling the living breath out of the boy. The more Daisuke's face lit up, the more tempting the latter choice grew.

What the hell did he think this was; a tea party?

"So tell me, Niwa," Satoshi drawled, gripping the bars tightly - the one thing that separated them. "What brings you all alone into this dark, murky dungeon?" Daisuke visibly recoiled from the intensity of Satoshi's glare. "Can it be that you're here to pay your last respects?" He cocked his head to one angle and smiled. Nastily. "To join me in this cell?" He made a show of tapping his chin, and suddenly snapped his fingers as if a great thought struck him. "Or more likely, are you here and carrying this ridiculous notion of ripping these iron bars apart with your scrawny little fingers and expect us to miraculously waltz out of here like it was nobody's business?"

Daisuke's red face conveyed more than words could ever express. Satoshi could only close his eyes and exhale loudly in disgust. "A fool will always be a fool... can't really expect anything more than that."

"Am not!"

"You will pardon me while I collapse from the utter hilarity of that statement."

"Don't be so... so negative," Daisuke argued back, his face serious. Satoshi's eyes flew open. "I'm gonna get you out of here. I don't know how, but I will!"

"How... honorable." He glowered at his startled friend while attempting to suppress his frustration. "How are you going to accomplish something like that? What will it take to get it into your head that I'm going to die tomorrow? When will you realize that they'll hunt you down, if not sooner? Let's face facts: France does not need any more optimists... and you're too optimistic. By half!"

"I am not. Weren't you the one that said I was only too cheerful for my own good? That's different from being optimistic..." Daisuke's voice trailed off when he saw Satoshi's annoyed look.

"Fine. Optimistic and absurdly cheerful... one of these days, you're going to get shot for wearing that detestable grin on your face, if not your appalling lack of intelligence."

"I am not an idiot!"

"Oh really?"

"Darn right! Now you take that back!"

Satoshi ran a slim hand through his chair and turned away, his back facing Daisuke. His tone was now considerably lower. "You should've taken my advice and tagged along with Risa and Riku. You're an idiot to throw away that chance." He tilted his head to one side, staring at Daisuke out of the corner of his eye. "Of all the times when you chose not to listen to me, couldn't you have picked a more convenient time for that? Idiotic, that's what you are. I can think of nothing right now but to call you an idiot for being so idiotic." Satoshi thought for a moment, and added," You're almost as bad as Risa."

Daisuke had been trying to get a word into it edgewise and was glad he finally had a chance to. "Didn't you ever think I stayed because I want to help you?" he asked, his face clearly determined - and hurt. Satoshi looked away again. "You're my friend - it's expected for friends to help each other when they're in trouble. And don't insult Risa."

"Exactly what can you do?" Satoshi realized that he came that close to shouting and involuntarily flushed. One of these days, he'd have to coach himself not to let Daisuke and his nonsense affect his sense of reason. Only there would be no next time. "You should leave. Even you should know it makes no sense staying here." To make his point, Satoshi walked over to the cot and sat back down, crossing his arms and legs. He fully intended to remain silent, at least until Daisuke scrammed out of the Conciergerie. Someone like him wouldn't survive a place like this - a buoyant and perfect picture of innocence, Daisuke was. Too nauseatingly innocent. Perhaps that was one of the reasons why he liked to hang around with the boy so frequently - because he was Satoshi's precise opposite. He was the daylight, and Satoshi, the dark night. Daisuke brought joy, Satoshi brought worry. People flocked around Daisuke; they were wary of Satoshi. Not that he had any problems with those comparisons. If anything, Satoshi actually preferred being that way. If he was flocked around by the number of people that surrounded Daisuke, he didn't think he could handle it.

Definitely not.

//Did you stay to help me because you want to... or because you felt obliged to?//

"Satoshi..."

Satoshi stubbornly refused to answer. Let Daisuke stay howling all night if he wanted to.

"...Satoshi, aren't... you scared?"

Satoshi glanced at his friend despite himself. How many times had he asked himself this very question? Was he just frazzled because he was going to lose his head the next day - or the simple fact that he had been denied the chance to fulfill the things he wanted to do for his future? It was a puzzling question with equally puzzling answers, and one that perturbed Satoshi endlessly. Certainly he didn't give much thought about his future until now, but he didn't think that losing his head counted as one of them. Oh, the irony...

"Satoshi, don't worry, I'll get you out-"

"I fear nothing," Satoshi interrupted coolly, narrowing his eyes.

Daisuke actually pitied him.

He tottered over to the door, where the sight of Daisuke's upset face greeted him through the bars. "I fear nothing," he repeated, louder, knowing full well the ludicrousness of his declaration. But to convince Daisuke to abandon all senseless reasoning to remain in France, he would lie until even heaven itself shed its appalling tears. "I don't need you, because I'm not afraid." It was pure, unadulterated truth. "I'm not afraid. So lay off, Daisuke. I'm not a weakling like you." Daisuke's eyes narrowed, those eyes suddenly glinted strangely, much to Satoshi's incredulity.

Was he angry?

No, of course not. Daisuke was incapable of anger. He laughed - when he should've cried. He shed tears - when he should be happy. He accepted - when he should've rejected. He was like a mystery box to Satoshi, where he'd like nothing more than to pick each and every piece apart until it was completely diminished. To pry into the core of Daisuke's heart, was what Satoshi wanted. He never left a mystery unsolved.

"Mon ennemi." Daisuke's eyes suddenly gleamed strangely, brilliantly.

As Satoshi watched, confused, Daisuke's fingers reached towards him, as much as the space between the bars allowed him to. They were hesitant fingers, sensitive and slender - how many times had Satoshi watched those fingers move with its austere grace, whether they were combing down Riku's fine brown tresses or handling a fine piece of Ducette silverware? Derisive, and yet, strangely enthralled by them, he was. Satoshi himself was aware of it - he was nothing but a fool if he didn't admit it. What drove him mad was that he didn't know why.

"...Je lutterai pour vivre." Daisuke was breathing hard. "Mémoires... Je me suis rappelé votre crainte... Mon ange mauvais..."

They touched the smooth surface of Satoshi's cheek. A finger lightly trailed along his eyebrow, brushing past a few bangs, before lazily tracing down his temple. They moved along Satoshi's jaw, as if fascinated, and even when they brushed against his lips when he tried to speak, Satoshi didn't move.

Or more likely, he was too stunned to move.

A stroke of lightning struck in the far distance, the loud clamor making Satoshi unconsciously jump. Raindrops pelted from the stormy skies, showering the empty streets of France with heavy downpour. Satoshi normally enjoyed the resonance that rain brought, but now, it fell deaf on his ears, as Daisuke's fingers repeatedly caressed his face, as if trying to engrave each and every feature of Satoshi's face into his mind, as the boy continued mumbling senselessly. Daisuke's eyes were half-closed...

"Détestez-moi..." His eyes immediately snapped open. The black fury visible in Daisuke's dark eyes made Satoshi frozen in shock. The depths of that hatred...! "Puisqueje vous tuerai!"

Daisuke's voice came out foreign and strangled. "KRAD!"

//...Krad?//

Satoshi immediately seized Daisuke's wrist and pulled it away from his face. He didn't know what was going through Daisuke's mind, but whatever it was... he didn't like it. However, he only got so far as a sharply bit out "Daisuke" before the boy's frantic eyes immediately darted back to Satoshi's face with a speed that rendered him silent again and stepped back, now undoubtedly confused. His friend's face slowly transformed from that of stupor to being instantaneously vigilant, a blend of genuine confusion and shame, facing Satoshi full in the face with a fierce attentiveness that made the taller boy self-consciously take a step backwards. "Daisuke," he said again, louder.

Daisuke staggered back, as if pushed, his eyes wide. His entire frame was visibly shaking, so much that he actually fell flat on his derriere. The boy's face was unnaturally pale. "W-What was I..." He looked over at Satoshi, who didn't say anything.

What exactly was he supposed to say?

"I... I'm sorry," the boy gasped out, scrambling onto his feet. "Gods, Satoshi, I didn't know what I was doing." Daisuke rambled on distraughtly, while Satoshi stared at Daisuke's face, trying to figure him out. //Should I leave it alone?// he wondered to himself. Daisuke was flustered enough as it was, and to push his now fragile friend completely over the edge with endless questions wasn't exactly what Satoshi wanted. Yes, he should leave it alone... for the moment.

"...it was y-you saying that you w-weren't scared that I felt really faint," the other boy was saying in a rush, squeezing his eyes shut. "Then I didn't really know what was happening - it was me, only it's not me, but wait... of course it's me, but really, it isn't-"

Satoshi had had enough. "Daisuke," he stated, his tone ringing with insistence. "Get out of here. Now."

"No!" Stubbornness returned to Daisuke's tone, and Satoshi fought to keep from pulling his hair out. How long was this going to go on? "I will stay here - or die trying."

"...I will hate you if you do."

Daisuke's composure nearly faltered, but surprisingly, he remained firm. "I don't care - it's better staying here thinking of something rather than freezing myself out there doing nothing!"

Satoshi studied Daisuke for a long minute. "Guard!"

Daisuke was startled. "Uh, Satoshi, what do you think you doing...?"

"Getting rid of you, if I remember correctly."

"No, you can't!" Panic seized Daisuke's voice. "They'll beat me up like they did last time! Don't you have a heart? Don't you even care that I'm going through all these troubles just to see you?"

"That's your problem, not mine. Guard!"

"Stop it!"

"Make me."

"Satoshi!"

After much cajoling and whining from his red-headed friend - with Satoshi refusing to budge even an inch - Daisuke finally gave up, escorted to the gateway with a very much disconcerted and livid warden - "How did you get in here, brat?" - but Daisuke didn't fail to promise heavily to Satoshi that he would, somehow, free him from the execution. Needless to say, Satoshi found exceptional humor in that declaration, but laughing out loud and mocking the depths of Daisuke's promise would ultimately hurt the boy, so Satoshi held his tongue and chose to nod in agreement instead.

"Yes, it's nice to dream, Daisuke," Satoshi murmured, staring after him. Even Satoshi himself had the tendency to dream sometimes. Even after France was plunged into a world of bloodshed and corruption, victims of the revolution still hoped there might be a day where France would emerge out from the dreariness of corruption and shimmer regally with its luster once more.

//...an optimist like you will never know the difference between eternal dreams and stark reality.//

In the end, this seemed to be the ultimate disparity that set him and Daisuke further apart.


By the time morning arrived, the rain still hadn't let up. Satoshi had woken up feeling groggy, and instinctively relaxed into his quilt at the sound of pouring rain on the outside - until the realization of what this day held dawned on him. He spent the entire rainy morning pacing his cell, his sensitive ears picking up chaotic and buzzing clamors coming from the other end of the hallway. He could hear the doors and gates being swung open and clanked firmly shut, vague streams of vulgar curses that Satoshi had grown used to hearing over his period of stays here, and that sudden stench of human sweat and steel that affected his nose so badly...

Satoshi had to think about other things before this waiting drove him mad. Crawling onto his cot and sitting cross-legged, he recalled something that invaded his dreams the night before. Yes, that sounded fascinating... he normally didn't dream at night, and if he did, it usually meant something unusually prophetic. He had been more than incredulous at that very notion, but the link between his dreams and the aftermath was there, and even Satoshi had to admit it very well meant something. The idea frazzled him at first, but he gradually came to accept that this didn't mean it set him apart from everyone else. Lady Pauline and Daisuke knew of his dreams, and amazingly enough, didn't comment on it.

This particular dream, however, had been different on the grounds that he had been dreaming of swirling white feathers virtually the whole night after that startling episode with Daisuke, and it was enough to baffle him completely that he didn't even want to think about it anymore, let alone trying to draw logic out from it.

But what was it trying to tell him?

It was when the guards came for him that he finally felt the slightest hint of unease. Quite disconcerted about the way they were gripping his arms, he still had to make the trip to the Salle de la Dernière Toilette. Quite compulsory for prisoners who were facing their executions next, in order to surrender their possessions, where the necks of the prisoners were shaved, probably to assure a clean and wholesome death by the guillotine. The trip seemed endless, each slow step drawing closer... and closer to the guillotine. With each step, Satoshi's unease grew - but he knew he wasn't afraid. What exactly was he unsettled about? At last, the room came into view.

Silently, Satoshi stepped in - and saw a storm of black feathers.

The Salle de la Dernière Toilette exploded in blood.


Mon ennemi - my enemy

Je lutterai pour vivre - I will fight to live

Mémoires... Je me suis rappelé votre crainte... Mon ange mauvais... - Memories... I remembered your fear... my bad angel...

Détestez-moi toujours - Always hate me

Puisque je vous tuerai - Since I will kill you