D. N. Angel Fan Fiction ❯ Snippets ❯ Like We Never Loved At All ( Chapter 8 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Like We Never Loved At All:
 
Disclaimer: I don't own DN Angel. Nor do I own Faith Hill's song, `Like We Never Loved At All'.
 
Warnings: Doesn't the title say it all?
 
A/N: Thank you to all those who reviewed and I hope you enjoy this chapter just as much.
 
You never looked as good
As you did last night
Underneath the city lights

There walking with your friend
Laughing at the moon.
 
Dark floated alongside Daisuke and Riku, smiling wistfully at the young couple. They're a good team, he mused silently. Although Daisuke had forbidden him to watch, it wasn't as though Dark could help it. After all, he saw everything through Daisuke's eyes and it was difficult to get away from the redhead's thoughts. Besides, he could pretend to feel the wind blowing through his hair, or the warmth of the night surrounding him. His eyes darted around and he reveled in the feeling of being able to see things of his own volition and not through someone else's eyes.
 
He turned to look at the couple once more and smiled slightly, eyes warm with approval. However, if one were to look more closely, one would have detected sorrow lurking within the depths of those eyes. Daisuke looks good, he thought. Indeed, the glow from the street lamps illuminated the teenager's slender frame, bringing out the subtle auburn highlights in his hair and the glow of his unique eyes was only enhanced. Perfect for a painting, he thought. He followed them silently, debating upon whether to tease Daisuke. Indeed, the redhead seemed to tense up a little as they neared their destination. Although this might have seemed strange to anyone who didn't know their plans, Dark could see why. Daisuke had managed to save up enough to take Riku to a slightly fancier restaurant than usual and he was worried that something might go wrong. He moved closer to the redhead, fully intending to reassure him.
 
Don't worry, Dai, he whispered. Everything will be just fine. Daisuke didn't turn to look at him, but he smiled and some of the tension vanished from his shoulders. Dark felt a stab of pain when Daisuke turned to Riku and continued chatting to her, eyes crinkled with happiness and mouth smiling.
 
They arrived at the restaurant in due time and the waiter showed them to their seats. Riku and Daisuke were once more engrossed in each other and Dark felt a small stab of jealousy in his body before reminding himself that this way was much, much better for Daisuke. Doesn't mean I have to like it, he thought dully. He watched them laugh and smile, watched them brush each other's hands slightly and then blush. He heard them talk. Then dessert came.
 
“You have some ice cream there,” Daisuke pointed at Riku's cheek, eyes warm with amusement. The girl blushed and giggled, dabbing ineffectively at her face with the napkin. Unfortunately, she missed completely and Daisuke leaned over the table, trying his best not to knock anything over. “Here…” He wiped at the spot, making sure that it was all gone. Riku smiled again and Dark, who was sitting behind her in order to see Daisuke better, held up two fingers in a victory sign. His purple eyes glistened slightly, but Daisuke was too focussed on Riku to pay any attention to the thief.
 
I swear you looked right through me
But I'm still living with your goodbye
and you're just going on with your life.
 
Dark kept the wide grin on his face for another few seconds and then realized with a shock, He's not going to acknowledge it. He knew that Daisuke was too wrapped up in his date, but still…it didn't make the hurt go away. The thief's smile disappeared and his hand fell limply to his side. The couple laughed and talked for a while longer before Daisuke called the waiter for the bill. They paid and Dark smiled at the way the two treated each other. Riku hugged Daisuke lightly and the redhead flushed before gently taking her hand and leading her out of the restaurant. Dark knew where they were going; Daisuke had told him all about it a while ago, when he'd first come up with the idea. They were going to the dock, where they could sit and talk and look at the stars. Perfectly romantic, and exactly what Riku likes, Dark thought sadly. But she's so good for you, isn't she Dai? She's got a body, she's got a great personality and she's a girl. Now you won't have to worry about the ending of the bloodline.
 
He moved swiftly ahead, leaning casually on a railing and watching them. As they passed, Dark placed a gentle, ghostly hand on Daisuke's shoulder in a show of support. He's so resilient, he thought sadly.
 
How can you just walk on by
Without one tear in your eye?
Don't you have the slightest feelings left for me?
Maybe that's just your way
Of dealing with the pain
Forgetting everything
Between our rise and fall
Like we never loved at all.
 
Dark reflected upon his time with Daisuke after their…separation, so to speak. Daisuke had gone back to treating him as an older brother and this hurt him more than anything, as he was still so nice to him. Dark missed the small signs of affection the other would show around him and every time Daisuke offered to get him simple things such as an ice cream, or asked him for help with History, it was all Dark could do not to cry. The redhead had not behaved differently towards him and the thief was almost scared of this. It was something he didn't understand.
 
You, I hear you're doing fine.
Seems like you're doing well
as far as I can tell.
Time is leaving us behind,
(time - leaving us behind)
another week has passed
and still I haven't laughed yet.
So tell me, what your secret is
(I wanna know, I wanna know, I wanna know)
to letting go, letting go like you did,
like you did.
 
He looked at his hands as he sat perched on the windowsill. A week had gone by, and Daisuke was happier than ever. Every time he came back from school, Dark could feel him glowing with happiness as he talked about Riku. “…don't you think so, Dark?”
 
“Huh?” His head jerked up. “Sorry?”
 
Daisuke rolled his eyes and then laughed. “I was just asking if it would be a good idea to dress up as a mage for the end-of-year prom,” he laughed. “Riku said it would be fun to dress up as mages, and it fits, seeing as the theme this year is `Magic'.” Dark cocked his head to one side as though considering the matter, then shrugged carelessly.
 
“Sure,” he said. “Whatever. Sounds good to me.” Daisuke looked worried.
 
“Dark?” he inquired. “Are you all right?”
 
The thief looked up. “Yeah, sure, I'm just peachy,” he said. Daisuke didn't looked reassured, but he just grabbed his books and began to work. He hasn't laughed for ages, Daisuke thought. I…just thought it would be better for him if we…stopped dating.
 
Dark inwardly sighed and looked at Daisuke, eyes prickling slightly as he reminded himself that Riku was now his special one. I was stupid to think things could ever work out for me just once, he thought. A single, sparkling crystal hit the windowsill, unseen by the other. Why, he thought, why is he still being so nice? Daisuke had done his best to let him down gently, but the pain was still there. It hurt, especially when Daisuke acted as though nothing had happened between the two of them.
 
Did you forget the magic?
Did you forget the passion?
Oh, and did you ever miss me
and long to kiss me?
Oh baby baby
Maybe it's just your way
Of dealing with the pain
Forgetting everything
Between our rise and fall
Like we never loved at all.
 
He soon vanished, leaving behind only memories to mark his presence.