D. N. Angel Fan Fiction ❯ Snippets ❯ Watercolours ( Chapter 9 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Watercolours:
 
Disclaimer: I do not own DN Angel.
 
A Note on the Text: Each stanza of the poem was made up according to the events preceding/proceeding each section, so the whole things looks a little disjointed. I also meant the whole thing to be abstract but I guess the intentions are pretty clear towards the end, ne? I also tried to keep a certain rhythm within the poem, so hopefully it works. Thanks.
 
A/N: Just a little piece I thought of. After all, what DD piece would be complete without some reference to Daisuke's artistic ability (provided that the piece is `in series' of course)? So, I give you….Watercolours.
 
A cup of water, a box of tin.
The lid flipped open
Revealing colours within
 
Daisuke smiled contentedly as his brush swept over the sheet of paper in front of him. The pale yet vibrant colours spread over the paper, eating up the whiteness and taking away the blank, impersonal feel.
 
Hey, painting again? Dark asked.
 
-Hai.-
 
Even after the Toki no Byoushin (sp.?) affair?
 
-It's not always going to happen,- Daisuke pointed out calmly. -That was probably just a one-off, especially as I was playing Freedert.-
 
Yeah, Dark replied. Then he immersed himself in his thoughts once more, watching Daisuke's progress with one eye. He noticed that Daisuke had changed colours at some point and now grey streaks were making their way across the sheet of paper.
 
Across the paper, the brush doth dance
As thy eyes at my hand glance
Dark watched the brush glide across the paper, eyes slowly traveling upwards until they met the long, delicate fingers of the artist. He focused on the paleness of the hand and stared enviously at the tool. Long, delicate fingers, more accustomed to artwork than thieving. He focused on the picture once more and blinked. It was of a storm at sea, and Daisuke was just painting the waves in. Funnily enough, although oils would have done more justice to the waves and added some texture to the picture, this watered-down version seemed to hold a life of its own. There was rough anger in the waves, but they were somewhat softened thanks to the pale watercolours.
 
Daisuke was wholly consumed in the joy of painting, the feeling only enhanced by Dark's presence. The creation of any sort of artwork was a highly personal thing and the fact that he was sharing it with Dark even before it was finished made him smile. He looked at the waves and smiled, thinking of his `curse'. Dark was like the waves in a way, stormy on the outside by gentle on the inside. Cocking his head to one side, Daisuke wondered what Dark was thinking. He knew that the thief was watching; his natural curiosity had dropped them both into hot water more than once. He was not disappointed.
 
Dai-chan, you got rejected? Dark's voice held surprise in it.
 
-What makes you think that?-
 
Well, the sky looks grey and clouded over, with very little sunlight. The waves are stormy, so it could say that you've met something and you're angered or sad about it. Are you sad, Dai-chan? Daisuke blinked.
 
-It's just a painting, Dark. Honestly…-
 
Well, most paintings have an underlying meaning to them. Even if the artist doesn't mean it, it almost always manifests itself. That's why so much artwork is unknowingly cursed, like that Unicorn painting. Daisuke nodded, then blushed.
 
-If there is truly a meaning behind this, I don't think Dark will want to know,- he thought.
 
Say what, Dai-chan? I always want to know!
 
-He heard me!-
 
No duh. Spill, the thief commanded. Daisuke shook his head and the brush trembled slightly, making a streak of green-grey appear in the sky.
 
-Oh no!- Dismayed by this, Daisuke hastily looked over at the box of paints once more.
 
Suddenly the brush trips
And the paint slips.
What dismay, what shock
The sea wa
s green, but now it's grey
Mayhap
I'll change it to a stormy day?
It's okay…Dark watched the brush enviously once more as Daisuke ran his thumb over it, adjusting his grip.
 
-Dark?-
 
What? Dark sighed as Daisuke's face fell, indicating that he had been hurt. Sorry Dai-chan, he apologized, I didn't mean to be so harsh. You startled me. Daisuke smiled playfully, restored to his normal good humour.
 
-I startled you? I thought you were the one who did the sneaking, not me!-
 
Hmph. I had other things on my mind.
 
Daisuke's ears pricked up and not for the first time, he wished he could grab Dark physically. -Oh, what things?-
 
None of your business. Dark smirked at the pout that appeared on Daisuke's face. He looks cute like that.
 
The redhead pouted even harder. “Pwease?” he begged, widening his already large eyes and putting on a baby voice. “Pwetty pwease?”
 
Well…Dark wavered and then sighed at himself. I'm getting soft. I'm wavering at Daisuke's puppy eyes. This is not good. Sensing victory on the horizon, Daisuke persisted and the thief glared back, equally determined to get his host off his case.
 
The look on your face
The sound of your
voice
Determined my choice
Won't you…ride this storm out with me?
In a last-ditch attempt to keep Daisuke away from his secret, the thief squawked, Look out Daisuke! The redhead whipped around, expecting to see the cup of water spilled all over his painting. Instead, all was just as he had left it and he could hear his other half's laughter echoing inside his head.
 
-No fair!-
 
Oh, but it was, laughed Dark. It was. Now be a good boy and don't pry into my things, or else you'll have something worse happen! Daisuke's eyes narrowed as he thought, and then the idea came. Bending his head slightly, Daisuke asked huskily, “What if I want to?”
 
Dark's eyes widened. Holy…He felt a dull flush makes its way up his face and he was grateful that Daisuke couldn't see him. I-I guess you'll just have to wait and see, he stammered out with none of his usual smoothness.
 
-Really?- Daisuke purred. At first, he'd felt a twinge of embarrassment but it was getting easier and easier to play this role. -Why, Dark…you should know that I'm not exactly patient…-
 
Could have fooled me, the thief snorted, trying to regain control of the situation.
 
Not one to relinquish an advantage, Daisuke pressed on. -Hm…so tell me, Dark…what would you do?-
 
Hidden away in the depths of Daisuke's mind, Dark wondered what was going on. Since when had Daisuke become this…knowledgeable? Since when had he learned to talk like that? Dark wasn't sure whether to groan or to be scandalised. Well, he thought, two can play at that game. And he's gone into my territory. Dai-chan, he purred, now addressing the boy, I don't think you'd want to know. A squawk came from the redhead and Dark smiled triumphantly. Perhaps I'd start with…this.
 
Just then, a knock on the door was heard. Daisuke hastily jumped up from the chair and opened it. To his surprise, Satoshi stood there, calm as ever. Behind him was Emiko, her brows drawn down in disapproval. The detective raised an eyebrow at Daisuke's ruffled appearance, then turned around and politely thanked the matriarch.
 
Ooh, what's this now? Dark asked as Daisuke let Satoshi into the room.
 
-Shut it.- Dark fell silent.
 
“You do watercolours too?” Satoshi's quiet voice broke the silence and Daisuke beamed at him. Dark scowled.
 
“Yup!” The Hikari walked over and looked at the painting, eyebrows rising as he noted that the subject of choice was much darker than anything he would have expected from the cheery redhead.
 
“Storm?” Daisuke fiddled slightly.
 
“Um…yeah.” He looked up and waved his hands defensively. “What? I felt like it!” Satoshi didn't say anything, just kept looking. Then he looked up at Daisuke, a teasing smirk playing about his lips.
 
“The storm of the heart, huh?” He asked softly. His eyes, which had taken upon a dreamy cast, then sharpened and focused and Daisuke could only blink as the detective shoved a package at him. “Here,” he said shortly. “Something for you.” Then he left as abruptly as he'd shown up. Daisuke blinked at the neatly wrapped parcel and Dark snickered. Open it, Dai-chan, open it!
 
-No.-
 
It could be a kinky sex gift!
 
-The only person I'd use it on would be you…- Daisuke thought. Dark choked.
 
What?!
 
-Huh?-
 
I didn't know you liked me that way, Dark stated, nudging Daisuke mentally. But I'm warning you; I'm seme.
 
There was a pause. Then to Dark's shock (and slight arousal) Daisuke firmly stated, -Nuh-uh.- His voice dropped to a husky growl and the thief groaned. -Don't you wish…- Daisuke picked up the paintbrush and gently moved his hands along the length of it. -Don't you wish that you…- Stroke. -were physical?- Dark groaned. Dai-chan, he thought, keeping this thought to himself, you have no idea…
 
Daisuke continued with his movements, the watercolour forgotten now that he was sure of Dark's feelings towards him. -Come on…- he purred seductively, -you know you want to. Can't you imagine my hands, running all over you, touching you, caressing you.- The thief moaned softly and concentrated, planning on surprising his little Tamer.
 
The redhead was about to continue when a very hot-under-the-collar Dark suddenly materialized out of nowhere and landed on his bed. The thief rolled over and stalked towards Daisuke, eyes glowing with a light never before seen. “Very nice, Dai-chan,- he purred softly. “It's my turn to play, now.” He plucked the brush out of Daisuke's hand and crushed the other's lips in a bruising kiss.
 
Your hand moves
And rests o'er mine
I guess this means…
You'll be riding with me tonight?
 
Dark smirked and lazily played with strands of soft red hair, looking down at his Tamer. He pressed another gentler, softer kiss to Daisuke's lips and then moved a hand to rest on the other's chest, feeling his heartbeat. Just like those watercolours, the thief thought, gentle and unassuming, but they're capable of the most amazing things.
 
Heh. That's the end. I just thought it would be fun to see where my imagination took me and I came up with an oddly weird poem. I know the whole thing's kinda abrupt, but please bear in mind that Dark and Dai's teasing already generated a lot of sexual tension, yes? This was written the night before the Eng. Lit. exam, so I guess I was trying to go for a deeper meaning but I guess things didn't quite turn out that way. In return for all my hard work, won't you please give me a review or three? Please? Aw, come on, poetry isn't easy to write. Please? Review please (begs shamelessly) and thanks for reading and supporting this collection!
 
For those who want the whole poem (please don't steal, there are plenty of better poems out there):
 
Watercolours by trichloroethane (yay!)
 
A cup of water, a box of tin.
The lid flipped open
Revealing colours within…
 
Across the paper, the brush doth dance
As thy eyes at my hand glance
 
Suddenly the brush trips
And the paint slips.
What dismay, what shock
The sea was green, but now it's grey
Mayhap I'll change it to a stormy day?
 
The look on your face
The sound of your voice
Determined my choice
Won't you…ride this storm out with me?
Your hand moves
And rests o'er mine
I guess this means…
You'll be riding with me tonight?
 
Oh, and if you have any good ideas but you don't want to write them up, you can send them to me and I'll see what I can do with them. Or maybe not. Well, whatever. Thanks for reading and review please!