D. N. Angel Fan Fiction ❯ Trey ❯ Relief ( Chapter 6 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Chapter 6: Relief
 
Disclaimer: For the sixth time, DN Angel does not belong to me (why anyone would think so is beyond my comprehension).
 
A/N: Wow, 6th chapter already! I'll try and make this one nice and sappy, with a touch of fluff and of course, a little angst (got to keep that element to the end yeah?). Thank you for all the support you guys have given me so far, I really appreciate it! *big smile* Please keep those reviews coming in!
=blah blah=: Dark's thoughts
/blah blah/ = Dark's telepathic voice
:blah blah: = Lady Yuki's telepathic voice
Dark watched in horror as Daisuke's body lay completely still on the cold ground. Already he could see blood starting to stain the giant ice dagger red and slowly red hot fury worked its way through his senses. =That son of a b----, = thought Dark as he drew his sword, the metal hissing softly as it rubbed against the rough scabbard. Krad turned around at the noise, his ice blue eyes now fixed on Dark. “Well Dark, it seems that we meet again,” Krad said, his voice soft but menacing. When Dark didn't reply, the sadistic blonde continued. “What's the matter?” he asked, his voice mocking. “Are you afraid? Of course,” he added, not waiting for an answer, “you would be. After all, your mother isn't here to back you up now, is she?” Dark's eyes widened; had this arrogant…creature done something to his mother? /Mother?/ he called telepathically. There was silence. Krad threw back his head and laughed. “Your mother won't come,” he repeated. “She won't be coming. Ever.”
 
At those words, Dark seemed to come back to life. He had been standing there with his sword in hand, completely paralysed as though he were in a trance. Now though, Dark snarled in anger and went for the blond ice lord. “You'll pay for that,” he hissed. “I'll make you pay one thousand fold for what you did!” Krad smirked and disappeared, only to appear again behind the purple haired teen, next to Daisuke's body. Dark whirled and almost screamed at the sight that met his eyes. Krad was slowly pulling out the giant piece of ice that had buried itself inside Daisuke's body, ignoring the sofy whimpers that came from the redhead. As the point left the younger boy's body, Krad placed his hand on Daisuke's chest. The spiky haired boy suddenly shot up, his crimson eyes opened wide. His chest still oozed blood, but he was alive. Dark narrowed his eyes, trying to fathom Krad's purpose for `resurrecting' Daisuke. He soon received an answer as Krad plunged the icicle back into the poor boy's chest, causing him to scream out loud. Dark wasn't sure of what happened at that point; a purple halo of magic surrounded him and Krad, and suddenly the ice lord was thrown backwards into the stone fountain that Daisuke had stood at only moments before. Dark advanced slowly towards the Hikari lord, whispering a binding spell to keep the man in place.
 
Krad stared haughtily at the purple haired lord. Such an idiot, he thought, playing at being all noble and kind. “If only your little Dai-chan,” a sneer played over his lips at the pet name, “could see you now. Can you imagine the look on his face when he finds out that you're so merciless?” Dark stopped, his grip on the sword beginning to falter. Indeed, what would Daisuke think of him if he killed Krad in cold blood? Sure, the man was a sadistic person, and he'd abused Daisuke physically and mentally ever since his parents had died, but that didn't mean that the redhead would just let it go. Family was family, no matter what. Suddenly, Dark felt like a monster. Careful, warned Evil Dark, Krad's probably toying with your mind. He wants you to think that way. I don't think Daisuke will feel any harsher towards you than he does right now. A soft choking noise caught the battling lords' attention.
 
Daisuke winced, trying to move a little, but the pain in his chest was just too great to ignore. The bitter, familiar taste of blood filled his mouth and the world around him was blurry. He could feel white-hot pain in his body, but also a cold feeling like a giant shard of ice was stuck in his body (which of course, it was). Shifting a little, blood flooded his mouth and he choked on it weakly.
 
Dark's head turned towards his redheaded…love? Crush? What…? No time to worry about that now though. The purple haired lord's eyes narrowed again and he turned to face Krad, his expression now unreadable. Whispering another spell under his breath, Dark effectively knocked Krad out. The blonde lord struggled against the magic enveloping in, but he could not resist for more than a few minutes. He soon stopped kicking and Dark nodded in satisfaction before running to Daisuke's body. He knelt down on the blood stained floor and carefully picked Daisuke up. Without really thinking about what he was doing, he ran to the Healers' Bay. =Hold on Daisuke, just hold on.=
 
In the kitchens:
 
Satoshi jerked his head up as a loud crash resounded through the kitchen. Oh no, Risa must have dropped another bunch of dishes again, he thought with dismay. Any more and I'll have to go buy new ones! He rubbed his temples, feeling a killer headache coming on. Fifteen minutes later, Dark and Daisuke hadn't come back in. At first, it hadn't bothered the blue-haired boy much; he knew that they had a lot to catch up on, sort out and so forth. Of course, they could have also gotten into a little…session. Well, so long as Dark didn't try to have a roll in the hay with Daisuke any time soon, it was all right. However, Satoshi soon began to get worried. It was almost dark, and his best friend and the visiting lord still hadn't returned from the gardens. He gave Risa a glare and a sharp warning, and then walked out of the steamy kitchen and into the gardens. The sight that met his eyes shocked and horrified him, as well as pulling him back into unwanted memories.
 
-Flashback-
 
The young blue-haired boy smiled happily as he walked home through the forest, pail of water in his hand. His thoughts turned to his parents, and whether his dad would be home soon, or if he was already home. Sure, they were a woodcutter's family and they didn't have very much money, but it was a nice life all the same. Kita and Mander, the twins, would probably be playing around the back in the garden, and he couldn't wait to get back home. His stomach growled slightly, and Satoshi hurried. A bright blaze came from in front of him, and the little boy frowned. The only house around was his; how come it was so bright? As he came to the top of the last hill, he dropped his water in horror.
 
The whole house lay in ruins, fire searing through everything. The little shack that his father had built for all the tools was completely gone, its ashes scattered to the wind. Worst of all, though, were the bodies. The twins lay on the ground, their eyes wide and faces painted with horror and shock. A bunch of richly dressed people stood a little way off in a circle, surrounding someone. One of the men suddenly crouched down and a woman's scream echoed through the empty forest. Satoshi gasped in horror-it was his mother's voice. “No-please-stop!” Too scared to think any further, Satoshi ran away, the shrieks echoing in his ears.
 
-End Flashback-
 
Satoshi stared silently for a moment at the blood all over the ground and the giant ice shards on the ground. The blue-eyed boy gulped; the whole scene looked like Lord Krad had just gone into bloodlust. Where are they, Satoshi asked himself, panic starting to set in. They must have been caught in Krad's fury, or else there wouldn't be any blood here…I hope he didn't kill them or something of the sort. Without further thought, Satoshi ran up to the castle and headed straight for Lady Yuki's room.
 
Healers' Bay:
 
Dark rushed in, amethyst eyes filled with shock and horror, still carrying Daisuke. He rushed to the nearest healer he could find; Maya. She looked at him and smiled in greeting before her gaze fell on Daisuke. “Oh my..! What happened?!” Maya looked genuinely freaked out, and Dark didn't blame her one bit.
 
“He was hurt by Krad.”
 
Maya's eyes widened in horror and sympathy; she knew how violent the lord could be on account of personal experience and from having so many servants to bandage up. “Lord Dark, give him to me now. We need to get him onto a bed, dribble a little liquid into him and then I can work on him with my power,” Maya explained as she took the prone form from Dark. Daisuke shuddered as he was shifted and coughed some more. He soon stopped though, and if anything, this seemed to worry the healer more. “Ateo, Kira! Over here now! Dai's hurt!” At those words, two blue-clad women rushed over, their eyes showing worry.
 
“Krad again huh?” asked the woman. Dark and Maya nodded. “I see. Well,” she said, looking at Daisuke's form, “it doesn't look like there's much hope. We'll do what we can. As for you, Lord Dark, are you injured?” Dark shook his head. The healer nodded. “Give Daisuke to me then. Maya, you check Lord Dark over; you know what lords are like,” and with that, she took Daisuke's form from Dark and left, followed by her companion. Dark felt the fear of losing Daisuke returning, but it was soon replaced by a sense of dread as he saw Satoshi pelt into the room at full speed.
 
Satoshi's face was set into a worried frown as he entered the room, but it soon faded as he realised that Dark was all right. The fear then returned as he noticed that Daisuke wasn't with the young lord and that Dark was covered in blood. “Where's Daisuke?” Satoshi asked, not caring that his cold mask had slipped. Dark looked at him sadly and mouthed, `Krad'.
 
The blue-haired boy felt his blood run cold as his brain registered that Krad had gotten Daisuke. “What happened…?” Dark pointed at one of the heavy wooden doors on the left, indicating where the two healers had taken Daisuke. Satoshi paled even more (if that was possible), and stared at the door in shock. Dark blinked as a healer whom he didn't know rushed up to him and placed her hand on his forehead. Dark closed his eyes, letting the cool magic rushing through him soothe the pain and fear that he'd had ever since Krad had turned up in the garden. A loud shout echoed through the otherwise quiet `waiting room' and a servant ran in, shock written all over his features. “Lord Dark,” the man gasped out, “Lady Yuki was found dead in her room!”
 
In the gardens:
 
Krad stirred and opened his blue eyes, smiling slightly as he flexed his fingers and found them to be all right. He shut his eyes momentarily, checking that he was all right and that brat hadn't broken anything. To his delight, he was left untouched. “Ah, Dark,” whispered Krad to the air, “You're going to regret that you hurt me.”
 
Healers' Bay:
 
Satoshi and Dark stared at the messenger in horror, their eyes wide with shock. Great, thought Satoshi sarcastically. The one time Krad's actually proven to be homicidal and insane, the one person who can banish him for good is the one who gets killed. Emyra, a short, plump but experienced healer rushed out, her bag already in hand. “Are you sure?” she barked at the servant. He saluted and nodded in the affirmative. “Let me see,” she demanded, rushing out of the room and up the stairs to Lady Yuki's room. Satoshi turned to Dark and saw the purple haired lord close his eyes and fall to the ground in a faint.
 
Dark regained consciousness and felt the cold floor pressing against his back. Next to him crouched Satoshi, a cool cloth in his hand. Dark blinked, unable to comprehend what was going on around him. Memory soon kicked in though, and with it came grief. =Mother…= Dark sniffed unconsciously, and then realised that he was crying in front of another person. He angrily wiped the tears away, trying to stop them from flowing. =Boys don't cry, and especially not lords!= Dark slowly forced himself to stand up, ignoring Satoshi's efforts to support him. I take it Krad's as good as dead? Evil Dark asked casually. For once, the lord's `alter ego' sounded deadly serious. Dark nodded mentally. =Bet everything and anything on it.= Picking up his sword (which Satoshi had taken off after he noticed that it was digging into his leg rather uncomfortably), Dark headed for the door. Satoshi caught up to Dark just in time to catch the cold, detached look on the older teen's face. “Dark!” Satoshi whispered, too scared to raise his voice. “We don't know for sure if Lady Yuki's dead or not. She may just be in shock. That man does not know anything about how to tell if a person is dead or alive, and he may have just been panicking. Besides, are you going to leave Daisuke here to wake up without you? That doesn't seem like lover's behaviour.”
 
Dark glared at Satoshi. “Krad hurt Daisuke, and that's enough for me. As for Daisuke…you're taking care of him,” and Satoshi found himself pushed away, back into the Healers' Waiting Room. Before the blue-haired boy could protest, Dark was out the door. Yuki had better be alive, growled Satoshi to himself. She needs to teach Dark the meaning of caution and that revenge is best served cold. Still grumbling to himself and unaware that he sounded a little like a mother hen, the Head of the Kitchens walked to Daisuke's room and opened the door.
 
Daisuke's room:
 
Satoshi walked over to the little bed, mentally preparing himself for what he would see. Sure, Krad often whipped Daisuke on a daily basis, but he never used magic because then it would be too obvious to the world that Krad Hikari was a sadistic man who didn't treat his servants well. Still, no amount of preparation beforehand could actually help Satoshi cope with the state of his best friend. The blue-haired boy stifled a gasp as he took in Daisuke's condition. A gaping hole in the middle of the boy's chest was the worst of his injuries, although the head wound was pretty bad as well. Various older wounds marked the young teen's body, although none of them were serious enough to rival the head and chest injury. Satoshi was relieved to see that his `little brother' was breathing regularly and didn't seem to be in too much pain, although he did look a little pale. Dark had better not get himself killed, or else I'll go to Sahiro and kill him again. Still thinking of new and innovative ways to kill Dark if he died on Daisuke now, Satoshi sat in the small chair next to the bed and gently placed his hand over Daisuke's. The blue-haired boy shut his eyes and went to sleep, unaware that a healer had entered the room. The plump, grandmotherly looking woman looked at the two and smiled slightly, glad that they had each other to rely on (not that way, as in a family way people! Eesh!)
 
Castle corridor:
 
Dark padded softly along the corridor where his mother's room was. He knew that Krad had been here recently; the man's power signature was all over the place. Reaching his mother's door, Dark opened it and ran to the huddled up form on the floor. A giant ice dagger, much like the one Daisuke had been hit by, was embedded firmly in her chest. Blood dripped out of the edges of the wound onto her robes and the floor. The servant that had brought the bad news stood next to her, frantically placing his hands all over her body, trying to locate something that would show whether the woman was alive or not. Growling quietly in his throat, Dark stalked over to the body and carefully placed his hand to his mother's pulse-or where it should be if she was still alive. To his immense relief, there was a faint beat. It was a very weak one, and Dark knew that his mother might not live, but he wouldn't give up without a fight. He'd already suffered the loss of one parent and even though he couldn't remember the man who had given him his powers and looks, he still didn't know what having a father was like. Dark picked up Lady Yuki gently and tried to teleport to the Healers' Bay, hoping that they didn't shield the whole place with magic. To his relief, Dark was able to teleport himself into the area.
 
Just then, his mother stirred a little and then she went into a coughing fit. She would choke and choke, draw in a long shuddering breath and then continue. This only served to get all the healers' attention and they clustered around Dark and Lady Yuki, their eyes worried. Dark felt someone gently relieve him for his burden and as worry and fear came crashing down, the young man collapsed for the second time that day.
 
Daisuke's room:
 
Satoshi's head shot up and he blinked blearily, trying to get his bearings. He finally remembered that he was in Daisuke's room because said boy had been hurt by Krad. Speaking of which, he wondered what was going on outside the room. People were shouting, there was a loud crash and then a woman screamed. Satoshi quickly jumped up and ran out the door, half-expecting to see a maniacally laughing Krad wreaking havoc left and right. Of course, that wasn't the sight that met his eyes. Instead, the blue-haired boy saw his purple haired friend passed out on the floor again, and an unconscious Lady Yuki being carried into another room by a green-clad healer. The blue-haired boy immediately rushed over to Dark (who was being tended to by a number of the novices) and shooed them off before they lost their heads. He proceeded to send a small bolt of healing magic into the lord and this brought him back to consciousness.
 
Dark glared up at Satoshi for the second time and sighed. “I guess you didn't get to Krad?” was the only thing the Head of the Kitchens said as he eyed the purple haired teen thoughtfully.
 
“No…” Dark replied. “How's Daisuke now?”
 
“You want to see?”
 
Dark thought about it and nodded, clutching onto the hope that his love would be better and perhaps even awake now. As though reading his mind, Satoshi added, “He's not awake yet.”
 
The two boys entered the dimly lit room and headed straight for Daisuke's bed. Before they could reach it though, the door crashed open and the two twins, Risa and Riku walked in. Risa, upon seeing Dark, squealed in delight and glomped onto him. “Oh Dark,” sobbed the girl, “It's all so terrible! Daisuke's been hurt so badly, and..and…Krad's gone evil now, and…oh Dark I'm so scared!” The girl wailed on like this for a few more minutes before launching herself into Dark's arms again and turning on the waterworks. Satoshi covered his mouth to hide the smirk threatening to grow on his face and traded looks with Riku (who was shaking her head in disapproval). Dark, on the other hand, prayed fervently that someone would interrupt the moment with Risa. He didn't mind the girl much, but she tended to pop up at the most inopportune times. Everyone's attention was soon diverted though, because Daisuke coughed slightly and then shifted so that the blankets made a rustling noise. Dark blinked and (rather conveniently) forgetting that Risa was still clinging to him, he rushed over to the bed and grabbed Daisuke's hand, dumping the girl unceremoniously in the process. “He's alive!” cried the purple haired boy.
 
“No, I thought he was dead,” Satoshi dryly retorted, his way of telling the other teen to stop making such stupid comments. A healer rushed into the room, her bag of medicinal supplies already open. She looked worried at first, but when she saw that Daisuke seemed to be all right, she relaxed slightly and then reprimanded the four for being so noisy in a wounded person's room.
 
“Oh, by the way Lord Dark?” the healer said.
 
“Yeah? And don't call me lord; it makes me seem older than I really am,” Dark said.
 
“Your mother's condition is better now. We managed to close up the stab wound with magic, so she should be fine within a matter of weeks. She'll have to take things easy though,” cautioned the woman. She turned towards the door and prepared to leave before Dark's voice stopped her from doing so.
 
“What about him?” Dark's hand gestured to the redhead lying on the bed. He half expected the woman to say that she didn't believe the boy able to survive for longer than half a day, what with his injuries, but to his surprise she smiled slightly.
 
“He'll be fine Lord Dark, he just needs the rest and some proper food.”
 
Dark could not control the whoop of glee that escaped his throat and he jumped into the air jubilantly. Unfortunately, this caused him to crash into Satoshi and knock the blue-eyed boy over, sending them both onto the floor on top of each other. Riku raised an eyebrow and remarked casually, “If you two want to do anything together, please leave us out of it.”
 
The two boys looked at each other in mock horror, especially Dark. “Who, me? I would never!” The amethyst-eyed boy declared dramatically, whilst his blue-eyed counterpart nodded vigorously in agreement. Laughter then rang through the little room, making it suddenly seem to be more cheerful, brighter. Meanwhile on the bed, Daisuke smiled slightly as though he too could sense and hear the happiness and relief seeping into every corner of his room.
 
Castle Corridors:
 
Lord Krad silently stared at the castle from within the confines of his invisibility force field. He smiled as his mind went through the plan he had concocted. Lady Yuki and her sone would suffer, along with Daisuke, Satoshi and anyone else who tried to help them. Yes; by the time he was done, they would all be begging him to stop. Revenge was always best served cold, and even more so when the people involved had been needling you for years. Soon, he would be able to leave the Niwa brat behind and cast off the last remaining connection between him and Emiko Niwa (who was now dead).
 
Well! I was kind to you now wasn't I? I didn't even try to put a cliffy! Well, reviews please! I need them to keep writing lol. See yaz!