D. N. Angel Fan Fiction ❯ When Doves Cry ❯ Chapter 4

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Chapter 4: Journeys End With Lovers' Meetings
 
Disclaimer: Don't own D. N. Angel. Whatever gave you that idea?
 
Warning: Mild profanity.
 
A/N: Well. Thank you to everyone for the support and reviews, I'm glad my last chapter received such glowing reviews (haha), and I hope you'll enjoy this one and continue to review. Things should go a teensy bit faster-I did, after all, delete the other story I was working on (I ran out of steam on it). Well, enjoy!
 
Krad shot a poisonous look at Dark and told him bluntly, “He's remorseful enough as it is. Give him a break, will you?” Dark blinked, apparently not used to being talked to in that manner. Generally people were a little more polite.
 
“Why should I?” Dark shot back just as venomously, if not more so. “He hasn't exactly done a good job in the past year, has he?” Krad frowned and Dark pressed his advantage. “He didn't tell you then, Krad?” The golden angel stepped backwards, taken aback by Dark. He'd always thought of his antagonist as a reckless, happy-go-lucky playboy who thought about nothing but pretty girls and thieving. Apparently he was wrong.
 
Daisuke quickly placed a hand on Dark's arm just as Satoshi did the same to restrain Krad. Dark turned around, eyes snapping. Daisuke winced slightly at the angry look, but stared the other man full in the eyes, warning him silently not to infuriate Krad further. The two looked at their respective hosts and then sighed, looking away from each other. Then it was Satoshi's and Daisuke's turn.
 
The two stared at each other silently. Satoshi felt himself shift uncomfortably under Daisuke's calm gaze and Dark's hostile one. He slowly walked forward, testing whether Daisuke would forgive him or not. Then Dark spoke and his voice was that of cold, restrained anger.
 
“Satoshi. Remember the promise you made to me when we first met?” Satoshi nodded, remembering that fateful night.
 
“I do.”
 
“Remember what you promised not to do if I succeeded?” Satoshi nodded again and answered before Dark could ask him.
 
“I promised not to hurt Daisuke.”
 
Dark nodded almost approvingly. “Right.” Then the kaitou's voice turned colder. “So why didn't you hold to that promise?” Satoshi was silent. Why…? He didn't know what had happened. He remembered the headaches, the pain, the anger he had unleashed under the influence of drink. The silence stretched and grew, looming over the two of them like some invisible monster. When it was clear that Satoshi was at a loss for words, Dark turned away in disgust. “You do it,” he told Daisuke. “I can't.”
 
Daisuke walked forward and looked up at Satoshi. Ruby met sapphire and slowly stepped forward to be closer to Daisuke, but was stopped by the other's outstretched hand. The redhead's thoughts were in a jumble. Fear, anger and pity swirled in his mind as each emotion battled for dominance. Daisuke however pushed them all away, forcing himself to look at Satoshi closely for the first time since he had left the house in a rage. The detective's eyes were red-rimmed and swollen, speaking silently of time spent in anguish and worry. The pity gnawed at Daisuke's heart and he slowly leaned forward to gently hug his husband.
 
Krad looked at the pair, praying for Satoshi's sake that Daisuke would forgive him. He could not bear to see his Tamer in any sort of pain, but could not find the heart to hate Daisuke. Demon he might be, Dark's archenemy he might be, but it was not in him to hate without a good reason. He had no grudge against Daisuke and felt that it would be unfair to blame the Niwa for Mousy's shortcomings.
 
Dark stood still, his face betraying no emotion whatsoever. He knew that he should be happy that Daisuke had chosen to forgive his husband, but inwardly he felt a leaden lump sink into his stomach. As he watched the couple embrace, he slowly lowered his head and silently wept for the loss of his love. Unseen to everyone but himself, a small droplet of water fell to the ground and was swallowed by the dark carpet on the floor.
 
Satoshi shut his eyes as he felt Daisuke's body against his, sagged as he heard the soothing words that his love whispered into his ear. He looked up and saw Dark staring fixedly at the floor and although he knew that the feeling was mean and ignoble, he felt a sense of triumph come over him. Dark suddenly lifted his head and if the look in his eyes was anything to go by, Satoshi knew that he would have to fight to keep Daisuke.
 
The reunited couple made their way over to the couch, still attached to each other. Slowly, Satoshi leaned in closer for a kiss and smirked as he felt Daisuke's soft lips touch his. His arms encircled the redhead's waist and he moaned softly as he tasted the other man once more. The familiar taste of vanilla and strawberries infiltrated his senses and he felt giddy. However, the giddiness didn't suppress his darker, more jealous side and he sneaked a look at the onetime kaitou to gauge his reaction. Judging by Dark's face, it seemed as though he wasn't affected. Well, no matter. He'll realize the extent of his loss soon enough.
 
Dark pointedly ignored Daisuke and Satoshi, who were making out on the couch. His couch, if there was anything else to say. He then looked at Krad and hiding his disgust for the other man, he motioned for the blond to sit. “Do sit, Krad, there's nothing like a comfortable chair to soothe your nerves.” To top the act off, he threw himself onto the chaise nearest the window. The other followed, his aura coldly disapproving.
 
Daisuke closed his eyes, drowning in the sensations. Just as he was beginning to feel the first stirrings of arousal creep in across the edges of his mind, the memory of the kiss he had shared with Dark in the afternoon effectively banished it. With a soft gasp, Daisuke pulled away from Satoshi, eyes wide.
 
Satoshi stared at Daisuke as he pulled away. His eyes pricked slightly as he thought of the things that had sent Daisuke running away from him and he leaned forward to whisper words of reassurance into his husband's ear. However, blue eyes widened in shock as Daisuke moved away from him. His red eyes were shut tightly and he was whispering something to himself over and over again. Much to the blue-haired detective's irritation, Dark hurried over and began to comfort Daisuke, hugging the younger one and pulling him closer. To Satoshi's eyes, this made him more jealous and he remembered the scene that Krad had shown him before. His eyes narrowed but he kept himself restrained. Be still, he told himself. Don't let Dark know.
 
Dark hugged Daisuke silently, trying to comfort the redhead. He didn't know for sure what it was that was bothering Daisuke, but he did have a strong feeling about the reason. Besides, his instincts and hunches usually proved to be right. “Shhhh,” he whispered softly into the redhead's hair. “It's all right, it's natural to be a little awkward at first.”
 
Krad spoke up from his spot near the window-he would not deign to touch any of that idiot kaitou's furniture-and his voice was heavily laced with irritation and sarcasm. “You know, Mousy, it would help if you weren't around.” Dark shot an evil look at Krad for this comment, but continued to soothe Daisuke. He didn't need his former host to become even more upset from the tension around him. Daisuke slowly calmed down, but when he looked up into amethyst eyes, his crimson orbs opened wide in horror and to Satoshi's dismay, the redhead bolted out of the apartment, leaving the door wide open.
 
Dark looked at Satoshi and then away from him, fixing his gaze on the swinging door instead. Satoshi, on the other hand, continued to look at Dark, expression unreadable. The ex-thief sighed and stood up, walking towards the door as he spoke. “Well, I don't know about you two, but I'm going to look for Daisuke.”
 
Satoshi stood up quickly, eyes narrowed. He was not going to lose Daisuke to this-this rat! You've already kissed him Dark, aren't you happy now? “I'm going with you,” he heard himself coldly say. Behind him, Krad covered his face with his hands, a look of despair on his face.
 
Krad watched silently as Dark and his former host left the apartment and he shut his golden eyes. The flying had taken more out of him that usual, because he was no longer supposed to fly! The Guardian hadn't taken the wings or magic away, but he had made it more difficult to summon magic. No wonder that idiot thief didn't try to blast me out as soon as he saw me. Sighing to himself, he decided to follow the rest of the group to ensure that nothing crazy happened. Although I swear, if either Tamer or thief try to hurt him, I will not hold back. With this thought, Krad walked out of the apartment, closing the door behind him.
 
Daisuke:
 
Daisuke slumped down on one of the benches outside a store, burying his face in his hands. He was confused as to why he couldn't take Satoshi back any more. I love him, he sobbed inwardly, I really do. I still do! His other voice started to speak, but Daisuke silenced it angrily. He didn't want to hear anything other than his thoughts, and that little voice of doubt was really starting to aggravate him. Worst of all, when he'd been kissing Satoshi, he'd thought-and wished-that it had been Dark doing the kissing. What the hell is wrong with me? Daisuke angrily thought to himself. Satoshi's your husband! The one you promised to stay with till death do us part! You're not supposed to toss him over your shoulder for the first guy who shows you kindness! You're supposed to stick to him! Besides, he's sorry! Isn't that enough for you? Daisuke silently berated himself, although this action only caused more tears of frustration and sadness to run down his face. Through his sobs, he didn't hear the sound of a twig snapping, or the muffled curse that followed swiftly after.
 
Dark walked through the area, knowing all too well where he was going. He knew that Daisuke would run straight to the park where he'd been found in the morning and to his relief, the redhead was there. Dark approached quietly, trying not to make too much noise so as to let Daisuke think that he was alone and therefore let out all his pain in the tears. Then he stepped on the twig and it snapped under his foot. Dark jumped at the noise and then muffled a curse, half-hoping that Daisuke would look up and see him. Fortunately, the redhead continued to sob and Dark's heart twisted slightly. He slowly walked towards his love and sat down on the bench quietly, pulling Daisuke up with him in order to hug him. “Shhh, it's all right,” he whispered gently into Daisuke's ear. “Everything will be fine, there's no need to cry…” A pair of tear-reddened ruby eyes stared up into his and the pretty redhead buried his head into Dark's chest. Just then, Satoshi arrived on the scene followed shortly by Krad. Dark sucked in a sharp gasp of air as the detective's eyes narrowed.
 
“What the hell are you doing?!” The sentence was shouted into the still night by Satoshi and Dark shut his eyes. The sh— was going to hit the fan tonight, and boy would it be messy.
 
“What does it look like I'm doing, idiot?” Normally, Dark would have been coldly polite to Satoshi seeing that he was Daisuke's husband, but at the moment he was just too annoyed to be bothered with protocol.
 
“You're hugging him.” Satoshi's voice was flat, cold, lifeless. It scared Dark when he heard the way the blue-haired boy had said it. It sounded just like Krad, when they'd met for the first time, 300 years ago.
 
“So?” Dark really couldn't care less and he hugged Daisuke closer unconsciously.
 
“He's my husband.”
 
“You didn't seem to think that way when you hurt him!” The sentence burst out of Dark and he glared silently at Satoshi. “You broke your promise to me by hurting him, and I think there has to be something about hurting your spouse in the marriage vows and in law!”
 
Satoshi looked hurt and Dark felt a thread of pity for the man. For a moment, he could almost see the sad, lonely child behind the icy exterior and his amethyst eyes softened. “Look, Satoshi, I'm sorry. It's just that…”
 
“It's all right.” He was cut off curtly and Dark wondered for a split second just why he'd felt sorry for the detective.
 
“Fine, but you and I are having a little talk.” Satoshi opened his mouth to say something, but Dark continued. “Tomorrow evening. 7:00pm sharp. My place.” He'd be damned if he had to serve Satoshi dinner, too.
 
“I work until 2200, thief.
 
“Then leave early. I'm sure no one will mind too much.” There was a hint of sarcasm in Dark's voice and Satoshi frowned slightly in the darkness. Then Daisuke spoke up, his voice calmer than it had been in Dark's house.
 
“Please…don't fight.” Both men looked at the quiet redhead and nodded, if only for his sake. Satoshi's eyes glinted slightly under their glass lenses. Daisuke slowly nodded in acceptance and without thinking leaned quietly on Dark's shoulder, relying on the older boy for support. Jealousy reared its ugly green head but Satoshi suppressed it, promising that he would talk to Daisuke. As soon as they got to a more private place, that is.
 
“Come on,” Satoshi heard himself saying. “Let's go home, Daisuke.” To his surprise, the redhead trembled slightly but the detective reminded himself that his husband was probably still suffering from trauma. Behind him, he heard Krad shift slightly but chose to ignore it, thinking that there was nothing wrong with the mere action. Reluctantly, Daisuke left Dark and got up, heading towards Satoshi.
 
Dark felt the warmth leave his arms and shut his eyes, willing the prickly feeling that had suddenly cropped up to go away. He felt a warm tear slide down his face, but told himself firmly that it was just because his eyes were stinging so much. Without warning, the words slipped out of his mouth. “Perhaps you'd like to stay over? It can't be good to travel around at night, when there's no one on the streets.” It was a slightly barbed remark aimed at Satoshi, but if the detective caught the inference he said nothing.
 
“Thank you for your kind offer, Dark, although I think Daisuke and I will be perfectly safe going home.”
 
“I insist.” Dark's eyes twinkled slightly now, a drastic change from their tiredness at the beginning of the meeting.
 
Daisuke looked around worriedly, half-hoping that Satoshi would just give in. For some reason, he didn't want to be separated from Dark again and he fervently hoped that for once Satoshi would see that some things needed to be sorted out. He looked at Satoshi under cover of the darkness that surrounded them, sensing the emotions running through his husband's heart.
 
Krad watched the scene playing out in front of him, detaching himself from everyone. He didn't need to know the three of them personally to tell that they were each going through their own personal conflicts. It's not my place to probe, he told himself firmly. I have to help Satoshi.
 
Finally, Dark managed to persuade Satoshi and Daisuke to stay over at his place for the night and without further ado, the four walked back to the apartment. Dark had even gone so far so as to extend his invitation to Krad, although how he was suppoed to put up with his archenemy for the night was something the thief had yet to think about. Unlike the blond, he hadn't actually received the honour of meeting the Guardian in person. He'd just been dozing in his empty prison when suddenly he found himself lying on hard concrete.
 
Back in Dark's flat:
 
The two hosts were now back together and were currently locked in the guest bedroom, sorting out `some issues'. Dark idly looked at the door, wondering whether Daisuke was enjoying himself in there, ignoring the scandalized look on Krad's face as the blond picked up on his thoughts.
 
After 15 minutes of silence, Krad finally spoke. “Satoshi knows.” Dark didn't bother looking at the other man.
 
“Does he now?” Dark didn't need to ask to know what Satoshi knew. “You told him, didn't you?” Silence. Dark frowned slightly, keeping his back turned to Krad.
 
“Yes.” The monosyllabic answer made Dark raise an eyebrow and he turned to face the angel sitting behind him.
 
“Why?” The simple question word made Krad think carefully. He had to answer this with the correct choice of words, or else the thief would fly into an unreasonable fury; probably the same thing that had made them enemies in the first place.
 
“When you were freed…did you see or talk to another being?”
 
Dark snorted. “Uh…no?” he answered somewhat sarcastically. Krad blinked.
 
“So how did you get out then?”
 
“I don't bloody know, all I remember is that one moment I was floating in darkness and the next I found myself on my back, lying on concrete!”
 
Krad sighed. Not even a minute into the conversation and the thief was already getting agitated. This just would not do if he were to find anything out. Luckily, he was saved from having to take any further risks by Dark's bluntness.
 
“Look Krad, just answer the d--- question already! Why did you show Satoshi that picture? What did you hope to gain from it?” Krad sat there silently, mentally answering the questions. Somehow, none of the answers that he had thought of seemed to fit.
 
“My answers won't—“
 
“Just answer, d--- you!”
 
“I showed Satoshi that picture, because he has a right to see it. It is his husband you're toying around with, after all.”
 
“And your gain?”
 
Krad sighed. “None. You see…” For the second time that day, he explained about the Guardian of Time and his words. Dark stared in shock, wondering just what type of person the Guardian was to change Krad's idea of how the world worked.
 
Dark smiled wryly after the story had ended. “I take it this means I can trust you then?”
 
Krad snorted, something very unlike him. “I highly doubt that, thief. Our clans will still be at war.”
 
“Yeah well, there's always a way to remedy that…”
 
Guest room:
 
Daisuke sat on the bed looking at Satoshi, who was pacing around the room. “I told you…” he began wearily.
 
“Impulse.” Satoshi interrupted calmly. “Impulse. And,” he said, tone of voice changing drastically, “just who let Dark continue?”
 
Daisuke was silent. “Look Satoshi—“
 
“I don't want to hear any of it,” Satoshi interrupted.
 
Daisuke flared up. Here he was, trying to sort things out with Satoshi, and the other man actually didn't want to listen! “Satoshi, listen to me. You—“
 
“I what? I raped you and left you as good as dead? I beat you up? I what, Daisuke? I what?”
 
“You didn't keep your promise!”
 
“Oh God, not you too! Dark's already bad enough, but you have to go on and harp about it as well!” Satoshi was about to continue his furious tirade when he caught the look on Daisuke's face. It was a look so foreign on the pretty redhead's face that the detective felt a shiver of horror creep up his spine. It was a look of pure rage.
 
“Satoshi.” Daisuke's voice had dropped and was now colder than an ice-covered grave. “Listen. You made the choice to beat me up. You made the choice to continue drinking, even after you saw the effects. Even then, I was willing to forgive you—“
 
“Don't you bloody patronize me, Daisuke! You're the one who ran away and decided whilst on leave,” the last two words were said with a sneer, “That you were a single man! You were the one who accepted that thief's kisses. He's stolen enough artwork from the Hikari to fill forty art museums, but is he happy? Oh no he's not! He has to go and steal a Hikari's love, too!” Breathless from this tirade, Satoshi glared at Daisuke.
 
“I wasn't aware that you wished for us to hear, too.” The quarrelling pair looked up in surprise to see Dark and Krad standing in the doorway. The thief leaned casually against the doorframe, a cocky smile on his face. “Now, Master Hiwatari, why don't you fill Krad in on what's been going on? He doesn't seem to understand just why Daisuke left you. It really is a crucial thing to this whole little…drama…don't you think?”
 
Krad looked at Satoshi expectantly. “I'm waiting,” he drawled. “And the story had better be worth it. Mousy has a nasty habit of exaggeration.”
 
Satoshi took a deep breath and felt another pang of jealousy hit him as Daisuke stood up and walked to Dark, leaning slightly on the older one for support. However, he forced himself to concentrate on the moment. He told Krad the whole story in as few words as possible and looked up only when he had finished, not realizing that he had avoided the angel's gaze until the end of the story.
 
Krad stood silently, confused and shocked thoughts running through his head. True, he was a demented killer, but that was because he had to be. He would never be truly at peace until the Hikari treasures were safe from Dark's hands. Still…rape was not something he could accept. Something inside him was repulsed by an action so violent and so dirty. “Satoshi-sama…perhaps it would be best if we could discuss this somewhere privately.” He shot a cold look at Dark and the thief rolled his eyes, but ushered Daisuke out anyway.
 
Satoshi shut his eyes and let his head drop down into his hands as Krad shut the door.
 
Living Room:
 
Dark raised an eyebrow at Daisuke. “Arguing again, Dai?” Daisuke felt a hot blush rise to his face, but ignored it.
 
“I-I don't know!” he finally burst out. “Every time we try to fix things, we just end up screaming at each other! It's happened before and I think it'll happen again! The worst part is, neither of us want it! We just…we just can't help it!” Dark stood still, intent on his former host. To the purple-haired man's surprise, Daisuke suddenly threw himself into his arms.
 
Sh—Daisuke, what are you doing? “What are you doing, Daisuke?” His voice came out harsher than intended.
 
Daisuke looked up at his best friend and now something more, and his blood-red eyes were glistening. “Dark…please. Make it go away,” he begged, not sure of what he was asking for. “Make it go away, make it disappear please Dark, please make it go…” Still chanting his mantra, Daisuke clutched a fistful of Dark's shirt and tugged.
 
Dark slowly replied. “Daisuke, do you mean that?” The other man nodded tearfully, unable to withstand the pain coming at him from all sides. “There are consequences…” the darker one murmured. “It's not right…”
 
“F--- the consequences,” Daisuke replied harshly. “The pain…it's too much.”
 
Dark tried to tell himself that it was wrong to do this, that his love's husband was just in the next room, but somehow he felt himself leaning down slightly and catching Daisuke's lips in a kiss. The redhead threw himself into the kiss wholeheartedly, fiercely nibbling on Dark's lips. Dark could not hold back a moan as Daisuke's tongue slipped past and began to explore. He returned the action likewise and his hands slipped down to wrap around Daisuke's waist.
 
Daisuke shut his eyes tightly, only letting himself feel. He didn't want to think about Satoshi anymore, just this hot feeling. His hands scrabbled at Dark's back and came round to slip underneath the thief's shirt. His hands grazed over a hard stomach and settled lightly on the other man's chest, roaming the narrow chest. He pressed closer to Dark, deepening the kiss even further. Dark's hand moved further downwards and Daisuke broke away, gasping with the rough pleasure. The pair moved towards the sofa and fell down heavily upon the piece of furniture. Dark rolled, so that he was on top of Daisuke and continued his ministrations to the younger one. Daisuke was only able to moan over and over again as Dark stroked him through his jeans.
 
Daisuke reached up through the haze of pleasure clouding his mind and tugged at Dark's dress shirt, fumbling with the buttons. He heard the other man chuckle and suddenly the feeling of pleasure was abruptly gone. He looked up into twinkling amethyst eyes that were soon obscured by the fabric being pulled over them. However, as soon as the shirt was off Dark leaned back for another breathtaking kiss. It was in this position that Satoshi and Krad found the pair.
 
I've been so
Caught up in the thought of me and you
Even though I love
Someone else I know my heart belongs to you
Tell me how did we
Ever let the situation get this far
Maybe we should just
Try to hide the things we feel inside
Things I know we can't deny

Should've never told you
That I cared about you
Didn't think that it would be, so bad
Should've never kissed you
Should've never held your hand

Got to find a way to let these feelings go
What did I
Do the day I let you slip into my soul
It was then, when I
Realized that I would always want you in my life
No one else can know
Of the things that we've been saying on the telephone
It would be so bad
If they ever knew that me and you
Were secretly into each other

I'm so scared, trembling inside
'Cause I'm feeling like somebody else already knows
Oh my God, I love you both so much
And to have to choose between the two
Is hurting me so deep inside

Should've never told you That I cared about you
Never thought that it would be, so bad, hum
Should've never kissed you
Should've never held your hand
I don't ever want to feel this way again
 
-Should've Never, Jennifer Lopez
 
Cliffhanger! I just had to put the smut scene in (blushes) and if you want I suppose I could put a lemon in. Although, you'd have to give me an email because I fear that ff.net wouldn't accept me otherwise. Anyhow, reviews are craved and needed, please please please review! I'm flying tomorrow, so don't expect anything for a while. Also, thank you for all the support that you've given me so far, I really do appreciate it. Thanks for the support and more reviews please!