Danny Phantom Fan Fiction ❯ A River in Egypt ❯ A River in Egypt ( One-Shot )

[ A - All Readers ]

Disclaimer: I do not own Danny Phantom, which belongs to Butch Hartman and Nickelodeon.
 
 
“Denial is just a river in Egypt.”
 
Sam scuffed angrily through the rain, clutching her umbrella tightly. The puddles of water splashed around her heavy boots, soaking the hems of her socks, but she didn't care. She ignored this and walked on aimlessly, forcing back a sneeze when a strong gust of wind blew past her.
 
Sam Manson was a hypocrite, and she knew it. She who had scorned love was now hopelessly infatuated with someone she couldn't have. Maybe this was karma's way of getting back at her. Haha, let's all have a nice laugh at this, shall we?
 
The scowl on her face deepened as the wind attempted to yank the umbrella from her cold, frigid fingers. She held on for a second, then abruptly straightened her fingers, releasing the umbrella from her hold. Watching it suddenly turn inside-out, then skid out of sight, she turned back down the road, loving the way the rain numbed her skin.
 
She didn't need that stupid umbrella, Sam thought to herself. Just like how she didn't need other things. Like a certain clueless, black-haired boy. She did not feel queasy (in a good way) around him, and his goofy (adorable) smile most certainly did not make her feel all warm and gushy inside.
 
She didn't need Danny, she was sure of it. She wasn't powerless without him. She could run and smile and laugh just fine without him. It didn't hurt when he wasn't there for her, her heart didn't feel like it was being ripped in two. She didn't feel bitter pangs of jealousy when she saw another girl flirting with him.
 
Sam scorned sappy romance novels. Without Danny, the grass was just as green, the sky just as blue, and the air just as sweet. Except…except sometimes, she felt that not even emeralds could compare with his eyes, so how far did grass measure up on that scale, even if it was organic? And when the clear, sunny blue sky was likened to his eyes, it seemed dull and gray, for, unlike him, the expanse of the day-lit heavens held no sparkle, no life—just a harsh, glaring sun. And breathing air, no matter how sweet, could never compare to the feeling of elation and absolute freedom she felt when they went flying together.
 
Nope. She was just fine without Danny. She was a human being who could function just fine without him.
 
She didn't need him.
 
But sometimes, just sometimes, she wishes that he needed her.